Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I did the "poop-in-the-box" thing and sent it off. It was still weird. I didn't have to do the prep so that was a plus. It was stressful, though, because you have to put the date and time on the box because the lab has to have it within so many hours. And then arrange for UPS Next Day Air to come get it, which was weird because I had to bring it to work and my regular UPS man had to come and pick it up. I knew what it was, and I knew he knew what it was (because the box has "Cologuard" written all over it in bright blue.) To make things weirder, he came bouncing in my office and asked, "so, you have a present for me?" Um...

• LOL 23
(edited)

I’m now confident that I did the right thing by taking off the day before, day of, and day after my colonoscopy and endoscopy! I thought it might be overkill, but everyone’s stories are convincing me more time off is better.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

I’m now confident that I did the right thing by taking off the day before, day of, and day after my colonoscopy and endoscopy! I thought it might be overkill, but everyone’s stories are convincing me more time off is better.

For me the day before is needed because of the prep.  The day of because you never can be sure about the time-line of the procedure..you may  not be able to start the procedure when stated also afterwards I tend to be tired and light headed, no so much because of the procedure but the lack of food. The next day I am fine but oher people may feel different. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

I did the "poop-in-the-box" thing and sent it off. It was still weird. I didn't have to do the prep so that was a plus. It was stressful, though, because you have to put the date and time on the box because the lab has to have it within so many hours. And then arrange for UPS Next Day Air to come get it, which was weird because I had to bring it to work and my regular UPS man had to come and pick it up. I knew what it was, and I knew he knew what it was (because the box has "Cologuard" written all over it in bright blue.) To make things weirder, he came bouncing in my office and asked, "so, you have a present for me?" Um...

A friend of ours did an at home test, not sure if it was Cologuard. The results said to contact her doctor. He wanted to do a full on colonoscopy but Medicare didn't want to pay for it since she had a previous test. It has been years since that happened but when my time came, I got the full on procedure. 

6 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

For me the day before is needed because of the prep.  The day of because you never can be sure about the time-line of the procedure..you may  not be able to start the procedure when stated also afterwards I tend to be tired and light headed, no so much because of the procedure but the lack of food. The next day I am fine but oher people may feel different. 

I could never have been at work with that prep. I was miserable and hungry. I was also nervous because it was my first time having the procedure. My appointment was at 7am and we were getting a snow storm that night! I kept thinking if I should do all that if I got stuck at home. Thank God my husband managed to get me there (it wasn't too far). By the time I was done, it had stopped snowing and roads were better. It took me awhile because I woke up vomiting and felt awful. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Good Morning, Small Talkers! My colonoscopy is later this morning.  This is my 3rd one. I'm in my sixties now and maybe that's part of the reason the prep has been harder. I worked hard to do everything right. I stopped all supplements a week ago & ate low fiber for 4 days prior. My GI peeps have you drink 1/2 the stuff the night before and the other half the morning of. Last night I was struggling and on my 8th 8oz. glass....I threw up! I'm not a frequent puker or a frequent crier, but I was bawling after that. I worked so hard to get the nasty stuff down and I was so afraid I'd have to reschedule and do it again! But I checked the internet and it's not uncommon, so I rinsed my mouth, waited 1/2 hour and drank some more.  Anyway, the better part of the story is that this morning with (a little) sleep under my belt, I got up early and persevered with the rest of the jug. This time I held my nose during each sip (through a fat straw) and that really helped to cut back on the ick factor. I wish I'd thought of that last night! I also did a kind of meditative thing and took several deep breaths in between sips.  My "output" looks clear as it should, so I'm feeling better about heading over there for my procedure, which will include a much needed nap!

I barfed too and so did some of my friends. 

6 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

When I did the prep for my colonoscopy my Dr said when I pooped clear I could stop drinking that nasty drink. I did that after 1/2 gallon. I also got it as cold as I could and as you did used a straw.

the same year I had my procedure, I had a surgery that involved a prep. I had to drink the stuff every 15 minutes in the evening and then every 15 minutes at like 3am. The first round, the nurse was new and the water was warm. Luckily, I had an expert for the other round who gave me ice cold water. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

All went well with my colonoscopy. No polyps, so I'm good for 5 years. I'm so glad it's over! I think I'll go the pill route in 5 years, rather than the jug-o-gross. It's a lot of pills, but I'm pretty good at swallowing (like Anna!). My procedure was at a place that only does that. Everyone was super nice. I got in early and I was done 2 minutes before my scheduled appointment time! When I woke up, I thought my daughter was waking me up and that my cat was nearby. I guess I was a bit loopy!

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 17
8 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

All went well with my colonoscopy. No polyps, so I'm good for 5 years. I'm so glad it's over! I think I'll go the pill route in 5 years, rather than the jug-o-gross. It's a lot of pills, but I'm pretty good at swallowing (like Anna!). My procedure was at a place that only does that. Everyone was super nice. I got in early and I was done 2 minutes before my scheduled appointment time! When I woke up, I thought my daughter was waking me up and that my cat was nearby. I guess I was a bit loopy!

I am so glad to hear that! 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

A friend of ours did an at home test, not sure if it was Cologuard. The results said to contact her doctor. He wanted to do a full on colonoscopy but Medicare didn't want to pay for it since she had a previous test. It has been years since that happened but when my time came, I got the full on procedure. 

Mine ended up fine, so I needed no follow-up. My doctor recommended it because I had no history of colon cancer, nor did I have any issues.

It was still weird all around, though! 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Good Morning, Small Talkers! My colonoscopy is later this morning.  This is my 3rd one. I'm in my sixties now and maybe that's part of the reason the prep has been harder. I worked hard to do everything right. I stopped all supplements a week ago & ate low fiber for 4 days prior. My GI peeps have you drink 1/2 the stuff the night before and the other half the morning of. Last night I was struggling and on my 8th 8oz. glass....I threw up! I'm not a frequent puker or a frequent crier, but I was bawling after that. I worked so hard to get the nasty stuff down and I was so afraid I'd have to reschedule and do it again! But I checked the internet and it's not uncommon, so I rinsed my mouth, waited 1/2 hour and drank some more.  Anyway, the better part of the story is that this morning with (a little) sleep under my belt, I got up early and persevered with the rest of the jug. This time I held my nose during each sip (through a fat straw) and that really helped to cut back on the ick factor. I wish I'd thought of that last night! I also did a kind of meditative thing and took several deep breaths in between sips.  My "output" looks clear as it should, so I'm feeling better about heading over there for my procedure, which will include a much needed nap!

They really need to invent something better than that nasty prep. I almost threw up too when I had mine. I was hospitalized at the time and my parents were there visiting, and I complained and whined loudly while trying to drink it. Glad it’s over for you.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

@BetyBee-so glad everything went well for you!  

Speaking of colonoscopies (and as @libgirl2 mentioned), there was a story on ABC or CBS a few years ago about Cologuard and insurance claims.  People who were cleared by their doctor to do Cologuard would send everything back and then get a letter stating they needed to follow up with their prescriber.  They would have the visit, and the same doctor would try to do the colonoscopy and find it rejected by the insurance (Medicare and private both) since they considered Cologuard their 'standard colonoscopy'.  These people were not only having to go through the prep and procedure, but then they were getting bills for $25,000+ by their insurance.  It's infuriating that insurance companies can get away with this crap...😉

• Like 1
  • Sad 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

They really need to invent something better than that nasty prep. I almost threw up too when I had mine. I was hospitalized at the time and my parents were there visiting, and I complained and whined loudly while trying to drink it. Glad it’s over for you.

I have had to do it twice, once for surgery and once for a standard colonoscopy, both times at home. I knew the prep stuff would make me through throw up so 3 days before I ate just soup & fruits/vegetables with high water contents. 2 days before I switched to low sodium broth & V-8 juice and then a clear liquid diet the day before the procedures. This ensured that there was little to no solids in my digestive system so while I drank as much as I could of the prep stuff, I stopped before I threw up. 

Edited by Nysha
Some days I feel like I failed the school of the dining room table. I have a MSS from Denver University for goodness sake.
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
26 minutes ago, sixlets said:

@BetyBee-so glad everything went well for you!  

Speaking of colonoscopies (and as @libgirl2 mentioned), there was a story on ABC or CBS a few years ago about Cologuard and insurance claims.  People who were cleared by their doctor to do Cologuard would send everything back and then get a letter stating they needed to follow up with their prescriber.  They would have the visit, and the same doctor would try to do the colonoscopy and find it rejected by the insurance (Medicare and private both) since they considered Cologuard their 'standard colonoscopy'.  These people were not only having to go through the prep and procedure, but then they were getting bills for $25,000+ by their insurance.  It's infuriating that insurance companies can get away with this crap...😉

And that is what happened to my friend. It does suck that they get away with that. Imagine something is found and insurance won't  pay for the follow up. 

• Hugs 1
  • Sad 3

Hugs to you and Cavendish, @Scarlett45. It sounds like he is in good hands at the vet, but I know from experience that you won’t truly feel better until your sweet boy is home. Keep us posted. 

Okay, all the talk of vomiting is really getting to me. There is an episode of Seinfeld where Jerry’s years-long no vomiting streak is broken. That’s me - I have a super strong aversion to it. I get nauseous, feel like I’m going to be sick, but ultimately won’t because I just can’t do it.  This colonoscopy sounds like more fun by the minute.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I had my first colonoscopy last year and got the pills instead of the nasty drink. My insurance only covers the drink so I had to pay $60 out of pocket, but it’s worth it to me. I know I’d have struggled to get that drink down.  When I went they were doing rapid tests for COVID. Could you imagine doing the prep and getting turned away for asymptomatic COVID?  If I’d tested positive they’d have seen a grown woman cry!  Thankfully it didn’t come to that. 

Edited by Kbo
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Ugh, just checked in on the bedroom. Even with a fan going, it's 90 in there. Windows are open, but I think sleep will be elusive tonight. 😵

2 fans and a spray bottle of water. Maybe put your sheets and pillows into the freezer for a few minutes. It helps! If that fails, have a few drinks until you’re tired enough to pass out 😆.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Cavendish is in the hospital! This evening after work I saw blood dripping from what I assumed was his urethra and took him in again. 

He is blocked. They are going to put him under, stick a catheter in him, flush out his bladder, give him IV fluids and observation. The Dr said there is a good chance he will be 100% and ready to go home Friday. 

I’ve had cats my entire life basically (and mostly boys) and have never had this happen! I was so scared. He’s only 7 and he’s only been with me 6months. 

My late cat had the same thing happen and it turned out to be crystals. He was on a special diet the rest of his life, which was 16 years after he got sick. The cat I have now had been surrendered at the age of 3 months with a rectal prolapse. Poor guy couldn't go, even passed out. I thank God every day, despite my cat being a pain in the ass, that the vets took a chance and saved his life. As I said he is a pain, but he is our pain! 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 3
  • Love 11
(edited)

@Scarlett45, I'm so sorry to hear about Cavendish.  I'm sure you were terrified.

My late cat Louie also experienced a blockage, when he was 5.  And like libgirl2's cat, my Louie went on to live a long life, also with a special diet.  He lived to another 13 happy years.

I hope Cavendish has an easy and quick recovery.

Edited by CouchTater
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, CouchTater said:

@Scarlett45, I'm so sorry to hear about Cavendish.  I'm sure you were terrified.

My late cat Louie also experienced a blockage, when he was 5.  And like libgirl2's cat, my Louie went on to live a long life, also with a special diet.  He lived to another 13 happy years.

I hope Cavendish has an easy and quick recovery.

My Eliot was on the c/d diet. When he first went on it all they had was plain flavor. He barely ate for a couple of days. He got used to it and then they came out with chicken and seafood flavors. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Ugh, just checked in on the bedroom. Even with a fan going, it's 90 in there. Windows are open, but I think sleep will be elusive tonight. 😵

If you can get a box fan and put it in your open bedroom window facing out. This should pull the hot air out and hopefully create a cross breeze from the rest of the open windows. I used to take a cool shower right before going to bed..do not dry off when you lay down with a fan blowing on you it may cool you off enough to fall asleep. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

If you can get a box fan and put it in your open bedroom window facing out. This should pull the hot air out and hopefully create a cross breeze from the rest of the open windows. I used to take a cool shower right before going to bed..do not dry off when you lay down with a fan blowing on you it may cool you off enough to fall asleep. 

Unfortunately, my windows open side to side, so I can't fit a box fan in them. I think I finally got to sleep around 1.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 2

We are going to look at some kittens later on today. Have been looking for a kitten for a couple of months now. It will be interesting to see how things go introducing a kitten to our cat, as she doesn't really like other felines, which is why we thought we might have better luck with a kitten. Especially given that her paperwork suggests that she must have had a litter at some point before we got her ( her name was "Mama" in the first rescue she was at).

I wish we had been able to find a kitty at a rescue, but they seem to be so difficult to deal with. Most won't even bother answering you if they don't like something on the application form. Frankly, I think a lot of them don't even want to talk to you if you specify a preference for long-haired cats, because they believe it should be strictly a matter of matching up personalities. Or they will insist on kittens being adopted out in pairs. Or most of the kittens around here seem to be from shelters in Tennessee or someplace, so you can't even meet them before you adopt them, and the price is about $300 more because of the cost of transportation and certificates, etc.

We've been looking for at least a couple of months, and 90% of all the cats/kittens on Petfinder have not changed in all that time, so it seems that they must not adopt them out easily. Anyway, just venting about that, which I'm sure I've actually done before.

These kittens are on Craigslist, which I am pretty leery of in general, because there do seem to be a lot of scams and/or people selling animals that they either obtained illegally/are flipping/breed in puppy/kitten mill operations, so it takes a lot to get me to trust one. But we've had good luck with most things we've got off Craigslist, including our older cat, who is an absolute treasure.

Anyway, wish us luck!

• Like 5
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Thanks. I added a few names we are tossing around to my post. Maybe you replied before they came up.

Oh! Sorry I missed that. Those are good names to choose from. Kittens are so fun. I'm glad you found one after all of your searching. 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Cavendish is in the hospital! This evening after work I saw blood dripping from what I assumed was his urethra and took him in again. 

He is blocked. They are going to put him under, stick a catheter in him, flush out his bladder, give him IV fluids and observation. The Dr said there is a good chance he will be 100% and ready to go home Friday. 

I’ve had cats my entire life basically (and mostly boys) and have never had this happen! I was so scared. He’s only 7 and he’s only been with me 6months. 

I'm sorry you and Cavendish have to go through this. Add me to the list of people who has had cats with chronic UTI issues who thrived on the special diets. Fingers crossed he is home safely and soon!

49 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Thanks. Here he is! They (he and the old cat) have seen each other through the sliding door. Both interested. Our older cat does not appear antagonistic as she did with the feral cat that lived under our porch, so we're taking that as a positive so far! Still trying to decide on a name...if we combine some from the short list, he might end up as something like Earl Jasper Dorian Gray...Though I kind of like Grigio as well....

img_1_1655943205734.jpg

Oh my gosh, what a beauty. I have some kitten fever but we have two kitties, ages 6 and 7, and the cleaner-of-litterboxes (AKA my husband) has declared two is sufficient. He's not wrong, I just love kittens.

• Love 11
50 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Thanks. Here he is! They (he and the old cat) have seen each other through the sliding door. Both interested. Our older cat does not appear antagonistic as she did with the feral cat that lived under our porch, so we're taking that as a positive so far! Still trying to decide on a name...if we combine some from the short list, he might end up as something like Earl Jasper Dorian Gray...Though I kind of like Grigio as well....

img_1_1655943205734.jpg

So adorable!  I hope he and your other kitty make friends.

I named a gray and white boy Zane Grey and Zaney was an appropriate nickname!

• Love 8
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Suzn said:

So adorable!  I hope he and your other kitty make friends.

I named a gray and white boy Zane Grey and Zaney was an appropriate nickname!

I had thought of Zane Grey as well, but I like the other names on the list better. Mr. Jyn also likes Ash or Asher. So far, Jasper seems to be the name we can both agree on, but we'll see whether we can come up with any other options.

I welcome input on any of our choices, or other suggestions.

Adding another thought ...a list of suggestions for "gray" names also included Mercury. How fun would it be to call him Freddie? Somehow I don't see Mr Jyn agreeing to that one, though. Not that he doesn't like Freddie Mercury, but Mercury is a bit long of a name for his liking,candy doesn't really lend itself to nicknames, and he's never been one to give animals a full, two word name

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 7

@Jynnan tonnix I love the name Jasper for him!

Update on Cavendish- his levels are going down and he looks to be doing better. His urine is still bloody but they are going to keep giving him IV fluids. I hope he can come home tomorrow or Friday. 

I just want him fixed and back with me. And of course Lady Reese who’s been with him her entire life. 

• Hugs 11
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Drinking ice cold water and placing a wet towel in your forehead helps.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

img_1_1655943205734.jpg

Greyson Blue is my suggestion 

Jasper is a cute name 

He is a beautiful kitty! 

• Love 2

Freddie works for me.  He has a Freddie face.  Gorgeous!  I'd love another furry dervish around here but husband has put his foot down.  Charlie has entered his elderly years and it would be a lot for him to put up with a kitten, plus he has such intense jealousy issues.  I really don't feel like throwing away bedding because he decided to decorate my husband's side of the bed.

Sending healing vibes to Cavendish.  

• Like 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

img_1_1655943205734.jpg

He is such a cutie! How about the name Cinder.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I had thought of Zane Grey as well, but I like the other names on the list better. Mr. Jyn also likes Ash or Asher. So far, Jasper seems to be the name we can both agree on, but we'll see whether we can come up with any other options.

Adding another thought ...a list of suggestions for "gray" names also included Mercury. How fun would it be to call him Freddie? Somehow I don't see Mr Jyn agreeing to that one, though. Not that he doesn't like Freddie Mercury, but Mercury is a bit long of a name for his liking,candy doesn't really lend itself to nicknames, and he's never been one to give animals a full, two word name

How about making his full name Freddie Mercury, but his usual name is Freddie?

• Love 3
5 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

How about making his full name Freddie Mercury, but his usual name is Freddie?

That was my thought, but the one I wasn't sure Mr. Jyn would go for. I love giving animals full, "people" names. I had a dog, growing up, named Artemus Gordon (The Wild, Wild West was a popular show at the time, and I always liked Arte much better than James West).

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

That was my thought, but the one I wasn't sure Mr. Jyn would go for. I love giving animals full, "people" names. I had a dog, growing up, named Artemus Gordon (The Wild, Wild West was a popular show at the time, and I always liked Arte much better than James West).

When I was a kid, we had a German Shepherd that my brother named Caine,  from the Kung Fu tv series.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Our older cat came from the shelter named Cora, though her name had been Mama in a previous shelter, which is why we figure she must have had kittens at some point. We never could understand why anyone would ever give her up, but it appears that when we got her at 10 years old, we became her fourth home. 

We were not sure about the name Cora, and I tried calling er Coraline for a while (being a fan of Neil Gaiman), but she remained Cora, and it actually fits her perfectly.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I agree on liking Jasper and also Ash or Asher. 😊