Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, CandyXmasTree said:

I need your help I need to find out who is hiding behind a LLC. I have no idea what I should be looking at. I am in Colorado and that is where the LLC is underr.

If the LLC is in Colorado you can search the state's business entity database and find out some basic information: https://www.coloradosos.gov/biz/BusinessEntityCriteriaExt.do   I can't tell from your question if you have done that already. 

If you have made that search you probably already know that the information required to form a Colorado LLC and keep its registration current with the Secretary of State, is fairly minimal. They have to state a principal place of business, and designate a registered agent/address for service of legal process. (Meaning, that's who you serve legal papers on in case of a lawsuit etc.) That registered agent may not be, and often is not, the actual owners/proprietors of any business the LLC is conducting. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I didn’t notice this until just now. 🤦‍♀️ So in case someone else hasn’t seen it:

B53CD1F8-A055-4AC7-B888-615850E194C9.jpeg

I’m glad I usually read at night!  I’m so sad when I log in and the site is down for maintenance!  

• Love 4

Some good news for Sunday. Remember I told y’all about my best friends granddaughter getting a heart transplant? The wonderful news is that she is doing well and was released from the hospital on Friday. 
    Friday afternoon I played mahjong. I won 4 out of 5 games. 
    Friday night my eldest grandson was crowned Prom King. 
So I hit the good fortune trifecta this weekend. I’m grateful and will try to pay it forward. 

• Love 23
(edited)
5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Some good news for Sunday. Remember I told y’all about my best friends granddaughter getting a heart transplant? The wonderful news is that she is doing well and was released from the hospital on Friday. 
    Friday afternoon I played mahjong. I won 4 out of 5 games. 
    Friday night my eldest grandson was crowned Prom King. 
So I hit the good fortune trifecta this weekend. I’m grateful and will try to pay it forward. 

You are on a roll, @Mindthinkr! Especially happy for your best friend's granddaughter!

Question: Has anyone else ever been kind of annoyed when someone chooses a charitable gift in your name for a holiday or birthday present? This is the second time we've received (from 2 different relatives) a donation to disperse funds with this charity. It's ok, but it requires choosing a recipient and a lot of emails to follow. Maybe it's just me, but I like to choose my own charities. 🤷

Edited by BetyBee
I hope I didn't kill the conversation on this thread!
  • Love 9

We are under a wind advisory today, and, boy, is it blowing.  Gusts up to 45 mph are predicted.  Ever since I moved into this house, the flap in the stove vent makes a lot of noise when the wind blows.  I found a possible fix on line, and it is actually working.  My vent has stopped making any noise.  Amazing what a piece of weatherstripping will do!  I hope the wind dies down by Wednesday or Thursday.  It's not looking good that mom will be around much longer, and really would like to see her one more time. (Not that she knows who I am anymore) But I can't drive in the wind.  My drive over the mountains takes me to over 8000 feet elevation and I really don't like long mountain driving in the best of conditions.  So, I will wait and see how the week goes.  Al least high winds is better than being stuck in the house due to forest fire smoke.  I guess.  I'm ready for 2022 to be over!

• Love 6
Just now, Absolom said:

I want the kitty on the right.

Flora is the almost-perfect cat.  She hangs with me all day and sleeps under the covers at night.  She is very smart, and comes when she is called.  Her one problem is food.  She will eat anything in sight.  She always tries to share my dinner plate, and I have to eat fast and not look away.  She is very quick at stealing.  She also likes licking hand lotion.  But she has the sweetest personality, and I guess I made a vey wise choice at the shelter!  She really is a sweetheart.  I am so lucky that my cats really like each other.

• Love 19
6 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Flora is the almost-perfect cat.  She hangs with me all day and sleeps under the covers at night.  She is very smart, and comes when she is called.  Her one problem is food.  She will eat anything in sight.  She always tries to share my dinner plate, and I have to eat fast and not look away.  She is very quick at stealing.  She also likes licking hand lotion.  But she has the sweetest personality, and I guess I made a vey wise choice at the shelter!  She really is a sweetheart.  I am so lucky that my cats really like each other.

Flora sounds a lot like my at Cassidy. Cassidy follows me everywhere, sleeps with me (and on me), watches TV and will wait at the door for me. I used to have to keep her in the house whenever I left my house because she would follow me down the street. And Cassidy will eat anything too! She's like a little garbage can. I tried to post a picture of her here but it's saying my pics are too big and I don't know how to fix that. Your kitties are beautiful! 

• Love 8
On 5/1/2022 at 12:06 PM, BetyBee said:

You are on a roll, @Mindthinkr! Especially happy for your best friend's granddaughter!

Question: Has anyone else ever been kind of annoyed when someone chooses a charitable gift in your name for a holiday or birthday present? This is the second time we've received (from 2 different relatives) a donation to disperse funds with this charity. It's ok, but it requires choosing a recipient and a lot of emails to follow. Maybe it's just me, but I like to choose my own charities. 🤷

I think it is tacky unless you absolutely know that the recipient supports that particular charity and that he/she is ok with that as a gift.  Otherwise, you're just donating to a charity that YOU like and killing two birds with one stone by pretending it is a gift to someone else while getting the tax writeoff.

Some friends, who were instrumental in organizing several of the mission trips I did in Peru, held a party for their 40th wedding anniversary and they made it clear that they wanted no gifts.  I decided that they might enjoy knowing that some nice Peruvian family got a llama in celebration of their anniversary and I arranged it using Heifer International.  My friend loved that gift because 1. it wasn't something she was going to have to display, dust or store and 2. she loved Peru and its people and was devoted to trying to help the poor there.  That's the only kind of donation gift that makes sense to me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 19
11 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

IMG_0969.jpg.e99a82902b7dcf7b18bdf407952321d8.jpgTonight's cat blanket.  The wind is still blowing outside, but we are warm and cozy.

I love your sweet cat blanket!  It's wonderful that they cuddle with each other and you too.  Freya will lay on me if I am in or on my bed but stays elusively out of reach when I am at the computer.  Loki is opposite and doesn't care much for cuddling in bed but needs lap time a few times a day when I am at the computer.

• Love 5
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

I think it is tacky unless you absolutely know that the recipient supports that particular charity and that he/she is ok with that as a gift.  Otherwise, you're just donating to a charity that YOU like and killing two birds with one stone by pretending it is a gift to someone else while getting the tax writeoff.

Some friends, who were instrumental in organizing several of the mission trips I did in Peru, held a party for their 40th wedding anniversary and they made it clear that they wanted no gifts.  I decided that they might enjoy knowing that some nice Peruvian family got a llama in celebration of their anniversary and I arranged it using Heifer International.  My friend loved that gift because 1. it wasn't something she was going to have to display, dust or store and 2. she loved Peru and its people and was devoted to trying to help the poor there.  That's the only kind of donation gift that makes sense to me.

I agree 100%. I have never given nor received such a gift, but if I did receive one I would only consider it a gift if it was a charity that I had a true interest in. And if I was giving such a gift, I would make very sure that it was a charity the recipient really cared deeply about.

ETA, @Rootbeer,   my father in law was very passionate about Heifer International and the good work they do. Some of his fellow church members gave some chickens in his memory when he passed away. He would have been delighted and our family was touched by their thoughtfulness.

Edited by Liddy52
  • Love 13
3 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

I agree 100%. I have never given nor received such a gift, but if I did receive one I would only consider it a gift if it was a charity that I had a true interest in. And if I was giving such a gift, I would make very sure that it was a charity the recipient really cared deeply about.

For my 60th birthday, my sisters threw a surprise party at a local establishment for me and invited about 75 people.  They knew that I already had too much stuff and didn't need more; I also am single and self-supporting and have no problems spending money on myself.  They asked the guests to bring a card and, if they wanted, they would collect donations to the church group that I go to El Salvador with each year.  That was perfect for me, IMO.  We collected about $700 which paid the salary of the nurse in the clinic we built down there for 6 months.  Just what I always wanted and didn't know I needed.

BTW, nurses make about 10 bucks a day down there, a bargain.

• Love 17
2 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Heifer International.

One year I used them to donate a bunch of bee hives to all the adults in my family. 
I consider it a win win type of gift for the person who has everything and the people that need everything. 
I think I will do this again in the future. Thx for the reminder. 

• Love 7
Just now, madpsych78 said:

The Jill/Derick thread mentioned "Zillow Gone Wild," and I cannot stop thinking about the ads for "Girls Gone Wild" videos that I have occasionally seen a few years ago.

I sure don’t miss the days when those commercials played ad nauseum every night. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I've been hanging around this site for about a half dozen years and Primetimer just awarded me a one year badge. 🤣🏆🤣

Lol me too. I got a one year badge!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'll see your "One Year" Badge, and raise you a "Reacting Well" Badge.

What I'm reacting well to, I have no idea, but it's mine!

ETA: And a "Posting Machine" and a "Very Popular"... I'm going to have to invest in a Girl Scout style sash for all these badges...

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • LOL 21
8 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I have no awards - it’s just like senior year all over again 🤣

Same. I’ve been around or years and am in “excellent” standing, but no award either. 

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Where do you see these awards?

Last evening I saw them when I viewed my profile. This morning when I look at my profile they aren't there. As the screenshot posted above by @ginger90 indicates, I believe this is a dynamic situation as the system is applying upgrades/changes. I'm not surprised that these award thingies are popping up and then disappearing from view. 

• Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I've been hanging around this site for about a half dozen years and Primetimer just awarded me a one year badge. 🤣🏆🤣

I got the one year ... AND... wait for it... the VERY POPULAR badge!!!! Woo hoo!

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 8.57.37 AM.png

Edited by Westiepeach
Just wanted to show off...
  • LOL 4
  • Love 11
10 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Last evening I saw them when I viewed my profile. This morning when I look at my profile they aren't there. As the screenshot posted above by @ginger90 indicates, I believe this is a dynamic situation as the system is applying upgrades/changes. I'm not surprised that these award thingies are popping up and then disappearing from view. 

Thank you. 

• Love 4

I wish I thought to screenshot the whole page. Although these 'awards' were just tallies of posts and reactions, it does kinda show 'Big Brother' is always watching. 📠📊👀

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I thinks its great Primetimer has this new inclusion policy. I just want to double check with you all...

The way I'm interpreting it is, its okay to say, so and so gained weight, but not okay to say, so and so is a fat pig. Kind of like the politics policy - its okay to say, Michelle Obama wrote a book, but not okay to say, I wish Michelle Obama ran for office.

With the inclusion policy we can state facts, but not mean opinions and with the politics policy we can state facts, but not political leanings.

Am I getting these correctly?

• Love 5
(edited)
On 5/3/2022 at 1:17 PM, Mindthinkr said:

One year I used them to donate a bunch of bee hives to all the adults in my family. 
I consider it a win win type of gift for the person who has everything and the people that need everything. 
I think I will do this again in the future. Thx for the reminder. 

The only thing about donating bee hives is the cost involved in making them successful. We have around 7-8 hives. They require supplemental feeding during some parts of the year that an run into about 25 lb of sugar every couple of weeks, plus commercial pollen patties. Not to mention treatments for mites and other things that can infest hives. It's important to keep a close eye on the inner workings of the hive to make sure the queen is healthy and working efficiently. If anything goes wrong with her, it's best to purchase a new queen (around $45) as the natural process of having the hive raise a new queen can be risky (the queen may not survive her maiden flight, and the whole process takes about six weeks, which, if there is no queen in place to lay eggs, can devastate a hive). Even with the best hive management, these days it's not unusual to have 50-75% hive mortality every year, so those hives have to be replaced, which is also not cheap. Then there is the honey itself. We have had to leave all the honey the bees have produced for the past 3 harvest seasons (spring and fall) I the hives for the bees' use. So it's an expensive hoppy without the guarantee of anything in the way of profit. This year is looking pretty good so far, so fingers crossed that we will have a decent harvest in June.

By the way, interesting to hear about all the badges/awards going out! I've been here 8 years (when did THAT happen?), And didn't get anything. Maybe it's due to the violation I got two an a half years ago which was supposed to be removed after 6 months of good behavior. 😄

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
Sorry about the typos...I have a sleeping baby in one arm, so going back to fix them all will take more fine motor skill than typing an apology)
  • Useful 3
  • Love 8
(edited)
47 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I thinks its great Primetimer has this new inclusion policy. I just want to double check with you all...

The way I'm interpreting it is, its okay to say, so and so gained weight, but not okay to say, so and so is a fat pig. Kind of like the politics policy - its okay to say, Michelle Obama wrote a book, but not okay to say, I wish Michelle Obama ran for office.

With the inclusion policy we can state facts, but not mean opinions and with the politics policy we can state facts, but not political leanings.

Am I getting these correctly?

I think the politics policy is much stricter than that. Hopefully a mod will chime in here to clarify. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 6

Please reference the mod note about the updated inclusion policy. 

Regarding comments about appearance/body size (because I think that is the biggest grey area)- it is fine to criticize or comment about someone's (hair)style, makeup, clothing etc. Making insensitive comments about their weight (over or under), physical capabilities, hair texture, facial features- not okay. 

i.e. "I think so and so would look better wearing xyz, I don't think xyz is a good look for them, their clothes are too big/small."- FINE.

"I think so and so is a fat pig( or skeletal mess), lose weight/eat a sandwich."- NOT FINE.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Please reference the mod note about the updated inclusion policy. 

Regarding comments about appearance/body size (because I think that is the biggest grey area)- it is fine to criticize or comment about someone's (hair)style, makeup, clothing etc. Making insensitive comments about their weight (over or under), physical capabilities, hair texture, facial features- not okay. 

i.e. "I think so and so would look better wearing xyz, I don't think xyz is a good look for them, their clothes are too big/small."- FINE.

"I think so and so is a fat pig( or skeletal mess), lose weight/eat a sandwich."- NOT FINE.

How would that work in an instance of, for example, pointing out David R's size vs that of his children? 

I would take this directly to a mod for clarification, but I suspect it's a bit of the sort of grey area which might need its own guidelines, and which a lot of us might be curious about.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

How would that work in an instance of, for example, pointing out David R's size vs that of his children? 

Addressing this here, rather than PM as it is applicable to the entire forum.

It is fine to criticize how the parents have chosen to dress/reference the children, but let's remember these are children that have chosen to to be on display. It is fine to say the children do not look happy/well, or would look better with xyz, but one can say that and not comment on the bodies of the parents. There is no need to comment on David's body size in reference to his parenting, unless or until he makes a statement (or Jill does) about his body.

Unless an adult comes forward stating they have an eating disorder, do not speculate on eating disorders.

When in doubt, think twice, post once. We understand there will be growing pains with the updated policy.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Dehumidifier said:

Let's hope this new policy includes referring to people's faces as "punchable."

Why would it include that? Doesn't that reference his personality?

• Love 7
(edited)

Yeah Punchable Aunt Cade was never actually a reference to his face anyway. It was about his smug douche aura and his styling choices, which doesn't seem to be at odds with the new policy. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Zella
  • Love 12
9 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Why would it include that? Doesn't that reference his personality?

Yes, and it should not be allowed in my opinion. There are other ways to express those opinions without referencing violence.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4