Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

After a trip to the ER when all this began, a nurse noticed how my skin look after she removed the tape and IV from my arm.  She asked if happened before, and I told her it was all the time, even with a blood draw.  At that point, she told me to advise any doctor I have an adhesive allergy.  I'm getting a monitor called a Zio patch, and there's two "wings" that are entirely adhesive as that what makes it stick.  I think it's just one of those things I have to deal with regardless.  

You need an Apple Watch Series 4 or higher for the EKG feature.  I do use it a few times a week, just to make sure I'm still in sinus rhythm.  Thankfully, I've never had an a-fib episode.  My heart just beats extra fast at times.  I *LOVE* my watch, and it's given Mr. Six a piece of mind that I'm doing ok.  

Thank you for the well wishes!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

I just got an Apple Watch and it’s supposed to be able to take an ECG. I haven’t tried it yet. Interesting if it works!

Funny story - I was a test subject when they were first developing EKG for watches.  I have a "floopy" EKG and they wanted to test picking it up properly.  It took them a couple refinements.  My heart is somewhat malpositioned.  

• Useful 7
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Anyone else having their eleventieth winter? Yesterday in the 20s and starting today off in the teens. Argh!

Snow squalls here (PA) yesterday, whiteout conditions. There were many accidents, including an awful one on a highway here. Some may have seen it on the weather channel, and I believe CNN covered it also 

04227AAB-0143-4BA6-BBBE-5EE22A3E0D0E.jpeg

Edited by ginger90
16 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Snow squalls here (PA) yesterday, whiteout conditions. There were many accidents, including an awful one on a highway here. Some may have seen it on the weather channel, and I believe CNN covered it also 

04227AAB-0143-4BA6-BBBE-5EE22A3E0D0E.jpeg

Oh my goodness. It seems there to be some kind of crazy dangerous highway pile up due to snow so often lately. I'll take the cold over that. I hope everyone was okay.

7 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Oh my goodness. It seems there to be some kind of crazy dangerous highway pile up due to snow so often lately. I'll take the cold over that. I hope everyone was okay.

It was a combination of the squall and fog. If there’s anything that particular highway is known for, it’s fog.  I heard 5 people have passed, and they expect more. 😞

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Anyone else having their eleventieth winter? Yesterday in the 20s and starting today off in the teens. Argh!

Yes! But I’m ok with it because what I dread most are the miserable hot, humid days.

• Love 19

Good thoughts, please! Husband was out walking Harley yesterday and he tripped on the gravel driveway. His big toe went underneath him when he fell and he said it hurt. He still stuffed his foot into work boots and worked all day, although when he was leaving the garage (he's a mechanic) he could barely walk. Last night his toe was swollen and purple. It was, of course, worse this morning and he could not even get shoes on. He wisely chose not to go to work (believe me, that is a big deal for him to voluntarily miss work!) and when I came home for lunch I suggested he probably should go to urgent care. 3 hours later, he is in a boot, toe is fractured and he is facing surgery to get a pin put in. He will be out 4-6 weeks. He goes to an orthopedic doctor Monday to set things up. I think he is in shock right now. So if anyone has any good toe vibes to send our way, I would appreciate it!

• Love 18

This was posted yesterday, by a fire chief regarding the awful accidents on a highway here on Monday:

Yesterday was a day alot of us will never forget. It was an incident of a magnitude only witnessed by few in their careers. It was also a first for many providers of all seniority levels. It was also a day where a command system, officers, agencies, dispatchers and local governments worked hand in hand, in a professional yet constructive manner to handle all aspects of this incident. I can’t thank enough all of the Schuylkill, Northumberland and Lebanon County EMS agencies, the local and mutliple primary and mutual aid fire departments/rescues/rehabs and speciality services, the Pennsylvania State Police, multiple Aeromedical services and ground teams, Schuylkill County Emergency Management, all the call takers, dispatchers and supervisors of the Schuylkill County Office of Public Safety. Your efforts are the reason an incident of this magnitude could be handled.

Away from the scene, a large thank you to Wegman’s distribution Center for the use of their facility for the “walking wounded” and creation of a triage center. Your Asset Protection Team, your management and employess were fantastic in making this a smotth transition for these folks whom were involved in such a traumatic event. A very big thank you to Schuylkill Transportation System for the use of their buses to transport the walking wounded off the interstate to the triage center and then to the Good Will Fire Company in Minersville where people could interact with the American Red Cross and PSP. These folks were assisted with hotels, transportation home, rental cars, food, family notification and more. The American Red Cross was fantastic.

To the fire/rescue/rehab/ems services whom stayed thru the frigid night to continue the recovery and cleanup, thank you. To the long, hard hours spent by a multitude of towing services to aid in recovery and cleanup, thank you.

Our hearts and prayers are with all victims and their families of this horrific event. 

To our responders, please take care of your young as well as your seasoned providers. We cannot forget about the health and well being of ourselves or our upcoming providers. We need all of you!

From the bottom of my heart, to my team, to my partners and to every single agency, group or person who aided on scene or from afar, I share my gratitude and thanks!

Please continue to stay safe and serve proudly!

Sincerely,

• Love 18
46 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

This was posted yesterday, by a fire chief regarding the awful accidents on a highway here on Monday:

Yesterday was a day alot of us will never forget. It was an incident of a magnitude only witnessed by few in their careers. It was also a first for many providers of all seniority levels. It was also a day where a command system, officers, agencies, dispatchers and local governments worked hand in hand, in a professional yet constructive manner to handle all aspects of this incident. I can’t thank enough all of the Schuylkill, Northumberland and Lebanon County EMS agencies, the local and mutliple primary and mutual aid fire departments/rescues/rehabs and speciality services, the Pennsylvania State Police, multiple Aeromedical services and ground teams, Schuylkill County Emergency Management, all the call takers, dispatchers and supervisors of the Schuylkill County Office of Public Safety. Your efforts are the reason an incident of this magnitude could be handled.

Away from the scene, a large thank you to Wegman’s distribution Center for the use of their facility for the “walking wounded” and creation of a triage center. Your Asset Protection Team, your management and employess were fantastic in making this a smotth transition for these folks whom were involved in such a traumatic event. A very big thank you to Schuylkill Transportation System for the use of their buses to transport the walking wounded off the interstate to the triage center and then to the Good Will Fire Company in Minersville where people could interact with the American Red Cross and PSP. These folks were assisted with hotels, transportation home, rental cars, food, family notification and more. The American Red Cross was fantastic.

To the fire/rescue/rehab/ems services whom stayed thru the frigid night to continue the recovery and cleanup, thank you. To the long, hard hours spent by a multitude of towing services to aid in recovery and cleanup, thank you.

Our hearts and prayers are with all victims and their families of this horrific event. 

To our responders, please take care of your young as well as your seasoned providers. We cannot forget about the health and well being of ourselves or our upcoming providers. We need all of you!

From the bottom of my heart, to my team, to my partners and to every single agency, group or person who aided on scene or from afar, I share my gratitude and thanks!

Please continue to stay safe and serve proudly!

Sincerely,

I talked to a friends brother who was a emt there to thank him for what he and the other people who were there did and all he said was that we were doing what we were trained for.

• Love 7

I feel for those of you with skin that reacts to adhesives and such. My skin doesn't seem to care much what I do to it, but a month of wearing that heart monitor did give me some little welts that got annoyingly itchy, so I can imagine how horrible it would be if you have sensitive skin.

Speaking of the monitors, I don't know whether the ones you get will take as long to recharge as mine did, but be forwarned. The pamphlet I had said that they "could take up to 90 minutes", but after my charger never got to a green light after three or four hours, the, of course, did not hold the charge for more than a couple of days, I called the company to tell them I thought there was something wrong with it, and that I would run out of the replacement patches at that rate. They did send more patches which arrived via next-day mail, but was also told, very nonchalantly, "yeah, I know it says 90 minutes, but they generally take at least four hours". Mine took a little over 6 hours each time I recharged it after that, but it did hold the charge for the 5 days it was supposed to, so I had more than enough patches to last.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 3/28/2022 at 7:26 PM, Cinnabon said:

I just got an Apple Watch and it’s supposed to be able to take an ECG. I haven’t tried it yet. Interesting if it works!

The Apple Watch definitely works—or at least it did for me and a few of my siblings.

I bought an Apple Watch series 5 just over 2 years ago, right before the pandemic hit the fan, so to speak.  I spent the weekend fooling around with it.  When I used the heart rhythm feature, the watch detected an afib, which can be quite serious.  
I did not have a primary care doctor at the time, but I had a recommendation from a friend.  I drove over to the group practice office, figuring I could fill out paperwork and set up an appointment.  One of the doctors had an appointment available at 3:15 (it was 2:55), so I waited.  After the doctor looked at the ECG, she wanted to send me to the hospital in an ambulance.  I declined, but I agreed to go to the cardiologist the next morning.  In the meantime, the assistant had found another cardiologist in their practice group who could see me at 4:30.  His office was less than a mile away, and the primary care doctor made me promise “not to drive fast”.  
The cardiologist was excellent, and I’m managing the afib with blood thinners, and I may have a procedure to shock my heart back into the right rhythm (first one didn’t last very long)

As it turns out, one brother has afib, but not quite as bad as mine, another one does not have it at all and the rest need to be tested.  
Another interesting fact my doctor pointed out is that about 40% of patients with afib also have sleep apnea.  When I was tested, I had an average of over 30 disturbances an hour, and my O2 levels went as low as 85%.  I wear my cpap machine faithfully, and rarely have a disturbance.

***Also, I do have some good news to share.  My sister in law’s sister has made some progress with her blood clotting issues, and is doing better.  Hopefully, the doctors will find a way to keep it from happening again.  Thanks for all your prayers and good wishes!

• Love 22
59 minutes ago, marypat57 said:

Another interesting fact my doctor pointed out is that about 40% of patients with afib also have sleep apnea.  When I was tested, I had an average of over 30 disturbances an hour, and my O2 levels went as low as 85%.  I wear my cpap machine faithfully, and rarely have a disturbance.

same here. my husband goes into the ER when his Afib acts up. mine is somehow being managed by one of the many Rx i take. husband 'forgets' to refill his meds and then has issues. also, i am very compliant with cpap but dont sleep well at all and  wake up exhausted most days. husband is being screened to see if he can do that Inspire implant. he does not use his cpap all the time - it bothers him.  we are surely getting old --- many silly complaints over here. 

• Love 4
On 3/31/2022 at 12:57 PM, zoomama said:

how do you pronounce this word?

My husband grew up in that area, and he pronounces it "skookle" (with the oo as in fool). 'Course, he also pronounces bedraggled as "bed-raggled" and misled as "my-zeld" so who knows....

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
14 minutes ago, skatelady said:

My husband grew up in that area, and he pronounces it "skookle" (with the oo as in fool). 'Course, he also pronounces bedraggled as "bed-raggled" and misled as "my-zeld" so who knows....

That is the correct pronunciation of Schuylkill. Some from the area just say The Skook. There’s bumper stickers and everything. 😂🤣

33A2F569-06C1-46D6-B2DE-73C9023B1986.jpeg

Edited by ginger90
  • Useful 5
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

That is the correct pronunciation of Schuylkill. Some from the area just say The Skook. There’s bumper stickers and everything. 😂🤣

33A2F569-06C1-46D6-B2DE-73C9023B1986.jpeg

I also recall it being referred to as the Sure-Kill Expressway.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

Yes the Schuylkill Expressway. It’s not in Schuylkill County though, it’s named after the river.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

I read that in a Reader's Digest twenty years ago as a kid, and that's how I auto-pronounce it, despite never having been there. 

• LOL 1

Hey- I’m wondering if you can help me with some fashion choices Small Talk friends. 

I have finally accepted that I have lost so much weight nothing fits. And I legit CANNOT wear plus size tops any more at all (I can still do some jeans with a belt)- casual clothes are easy, I did a little shopping at Old Navy and Nordstrom and got some decent tees/blouses and summer pants so I don’t look like a bum in the office, BUT I don’t have any “interview/presentation” appropriate blouses to go under the new suit jacket I bought. 

Im still a 36G bra, so I want something that doesn’t make me look like a tent or pregnant. WHERE do ladies with a bust but who aren’t plus size get decent button down shirts????

Thank you. 

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Hey- I’m wondering if you can help me with some fashion choices Small Talk friends. 

I have finally accepted that I have lost so much weight nothing fits. And I legit CANNOT wear plus size tops any more at all (I can still do some jeans with a belt)- casual clothes are easy, I did a little shopping at Old Navy and Nordstrom and got some decent tees/blouses and summer pants so I don’t look like a bum in the office, BUT I don’t have any “interview/presentation” appropriate blouses to go under the new suit jacket I bought. 

Im still a 36G bra, so I want something that doesn’t make me look like a tent or pregnant. WHERE do ladies with a bust but who aren’t plus size get decent button down shirts????

Thank you. 

This is probably no help to you since I live in Louisiana, but my uncle owns a hoity toity clothing store. They do custom button down shirts for women. A little pricey but worth it. I’d probably look for a local tailor to get the proportions just right.  I used to wear a 36I (yes, I), but didn’t wear plus sized clothing so the tailor saved me. Back then my shirts dame from Ann Taylor or Banana Republic.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Thank you. 

Before I grew my belly blouses were a tough choice for me. The only way to wear one that was fitted was to wear a cami under it and leave the buttons over the girls open.

These days though, a fresh, well made t-shirt under a blazer is suitable for smart, causal business wear. Add a scarf for color and flair.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

We don't wear button down shirts.  They make silk shells that kind of drift over the bust line and look much more flattering under suit jackets.  A soft, thin sweater one works fine in winter.   The only place I wear a button down shirt is to the cardiologist. 

• Love 14

Update on Husband (from my post a few days back): He went to the orthopedic surgeon yesterday to get his fractured toe looked at and surgery scheduled. They did new X-rays so that they could compare from when he broke it a week earlier. Turns out not only is it fractured, but dislocated as well. Surgery was discussed, but he would have to be completely off his foot for 6 weeks, and then ~gradually~ start putting weight on it. He would then have another procedure to get the pins removed (another surgery? or just yank them out with pliers in the doctor's office? Don't know) and basically be off for 3-4 months. He thought about it and decided the cure was worse than the break, so he chose not to have the surgery done. He's been home for 1 week now and is starting to get cabin fever already, and the thought of being completely off his foot for 6 weeks, and then being off work for 3-4 months pretty much did him in. I told him the final decision was his. I do agree with him that the aftermath of the surgery would be horrible for him. He is seriously (SEVERELY - lol!) icing his foot and keeping it elevated as much as he can. That is where we are. So if anyone wants to send me virtual wine, it would be most welcome!

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, Absolom said:

We don't wear button down shirts.  They make silk shells that kind of drift over the bust line and look much more flattering under suit jackets.  A soft, thin sweater one works fine in winter.   The only place I wear a button down shirt is to the cardiologist. 

I had 3 button down shirts from Lane Bryant that I loved- LOVED. The stitching was amazing, I had one in black, raspberry and a pretty green for summer. The seems along the bust were perfect and they fit so nicely OMG. I tried them on for a zoom presentation and I was so happy I was on Zoom with my jacket closed because they looked like pjs. Like I had no breasts and it was hanging off of me. 

You know when you lose weight you can’t really see it? That was a “wow I guess I have lost weight.”

• Love 9