Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

This weekend was a whirlwind, I got nothing accomplished that I planned. 

The weekend caregiver I hired flaked on me, at 7am the day she was due to start*, so back to care.com I go, back to interviewing and training again. At least I have coverage for two Saturdays in May and Mother's Day (I have NEVER been able to take my Mom out for Mother's Day. This year is the first year she is the only person I have to buy a card for, hot damn it we are going out!)

I would've love to take this week off so I could start my new job fresh on Monday, but it didnt work out with previously scheduled vacations on my current team and I didnt want to be an asshole. 

*I woke up to a text of (cliff notes), "It was nice to meet your family but I cannot take this job due to my health and my Mom's health." It would've been nice if she had said that last Wednesday when we chatted and I confirmed with her that she was good to start the 23rd. 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

The weekend caregiver I hired flaked on me, at 7am the day she was due to start*,

Oh my stars!  That is so rude.  The job probably sounded good to her and then reality caught up with her, but still people should think things through before applying for a job and saying yes.  It's always possible her mother didn't know and pulled a major guilt trip or her circumstances changed I guess, but still SO flakey.  Good luck with the search.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

*I woke up to a text of (cliff notes), "It was nice to meet your family but I cannot take this job due to my health and my Mom's health." It would've been nice if she had said that last Wednesday when we chatted and I confirmed with her that she was good to start the 23rd. 

I wish there were repercussions for this. It’s awful, barring an absolute emergency.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Oh my stars!  That is so rude.  The job probably sounded good to her and then reality caught up with her, but still people should think things through before applying for a job and saying yes.  It's always possible her mother didn't know and pulled a major guilt trip or her circumstances changed I guess, but still SO flakey.  Good luck with the search.

7 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I wish there were repercussions for this. It’s awful, barring an absolute emergency.

It was flakey- she was having dental problems during the interview process, but showed up for the training and things went well, so I just said we could push the start date until after her dental surgery and she could rest/heal up. Anytime in the last few weeks she could've said it wasn't going to work out, or on Wednesday!

I am so glad that I kept in touch with L, who also came for a training, L has a degree and is just in between jobs right now, and wants to move out of state next year, but my sister really liked her so I told her that we wanted to give her some hours so we could get help, and she could make ends meet until I found someone who had more long term potential. 

I am tempted to review her on Care.com and state what she did, but I don't want to be an ass, and what good would that do? She could just use a new email address and a new profile. 

• Love 8

You know something I am a big ass baby about and hate doing although its actually not a huge deal? Putting air in the car tires. HATE IT and I have to do it today or tomorrow. HATE IT. Usually its cold, you have to bend over, you get your hands all dirty, I'm always losing the air valve cap. 

Yes I am being a big ass baby I know.cry baby GIF

• LOL 7
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

You know something I am a big ass baby about and hate doing although its actually not a huge deal? Putting air in the car tires. HATE IT and I have to do it today or tomorrow. HATE IT. Usually its cold, you have to bend over, you get your hands all dirty, I'm always losing the air valve cap. 

Haha, I hate it too but discovered that the place I bought my tires will put air in for free, you just have to show up! They don’t even check to be sure you’re really a customer. 

• Love 9
Just now, ozziemom said:

Haha, I hate it too but discovered that the place I bought my tires will put air in for free, you just have to show up! They don’t even check to be sure you’re really a customer. 

I buy tires at Costco, that's a good idea. Their air is free, but its a pain to do it.

• Love 4
Just now, ozziemom said:

That’s how Walmart is for glasses. I lost a nose pad once upon a time while I was there. They replaced it for me, no charge.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

1) I bought a pack of the caps at the auto parts store and keep it in the glove compartment.  2) My SIL introduced me to a tire store that does it for you free!  Check around and you might have the same thing.  Just drive up and they roll the device around the car and all done in maybe 5 minutes without leaving the car.  It's fantastic.  I think it's America's Tire Store.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
Just now, Absolom said:

1) I bought a pack of the caps at the auto parts store and keep it in the glove compartment.  2) My SIL introduced me to a tire store that does it for you free!  Check around and you might have the same thing.  Just drive up and they roll the device around the car and all done in maybe 5 minutes without leaving the car.  It's fantastic.  I think it's America's Tire Store.  

Thanks! I too bought a pack of caps and keep them in the console because I was always losing the cap!

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Absolom said:

i regularly go there -- they are great. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I buy tires at Costco, that's a good idea. Their air is free, but its a pain to do it.

If you ask nicely our Costco will put the air in the tires for you for free. Try it. The worst they can say is no. 

Just now, Mindthinkr said:

If you ask nicely our Costco will put the air in the tires for you for free. Try it. The worst they can say is no. 

@Scarlett45 I’m sorry the new caregiver bailed at the last minute. I hope you can easily find a replacement. I’m happy that you can look forward to going out for Mother’s Day. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Absolom said:

I love America's Tire Store.  Here it is called Discount Tire Store, but it is the same company and it does not matter which you go to.  Your records are on their computer under either name.  You can also get "insurance" for your tires.  They will fix any leak or flat for free, and will replace the tire if they cannot repair it.  They also keep track of your tires and mileage.  I had a set of tires that needed replacement at about half the advertised mileage, and they credited me back the money on my new tires.  Free air anytime you need it, and they put it in.  You just drive up to the designated area.  Also, with the "insurance" you get free rotations.  I have had very good luck with them and will continue to do business there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Bummer. The closest America's Tire to me is about 15 miles away. 

Since I have moved, my closest one is about 15 miles away, too.  But I still make the effort.  You just reminded me that it is about time to schedule an appointment for my tire rotation....

• Love 1

That tire store chain is Discount Tire in this area. They have a store two blocks from my home, and except for one time I went to Costco for a set of tires, Discount has been my go-to tire store for years. They have free tire pressure checks, no need to be a customer, just drive up to the designated space and wait, someone comes out and checks/adjusts the tire pressure on your car. I gotta say, I appreciate that service because like @Scarlett45, I don't like the tire pressure check/fill tasks at all.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Jeeves said:

That tire store chain is Discount Tire in this area. They have a store two blocks from my home, and except for one time I went to Costco for a set of tires, Discount has been my go-to tire store for years. They have free tire pressure checks, no need to be a customer, just drive up to the designated space and wait, someone comes out and checks/adjusts the tire pressure on your car. I gotta say, I appreciate that service because like @Scarlett45, I don't like the tire pressure check/fill tasks at all.

Yep. Discount Tire for the win! They are one of my husband's company's biggest customers(he works for a massive tire distrubution company out of Wisconsin). I just got an email from them saying I was due for a tire pressure check. They are about 5 minutes(if even)from our house.

• Love 1

All of this talk about tire pressure prompted me to ask my mechanic to check when I took my car in for service this morning. They did that, topped off all the fluids, and tightened  a loose clamp that was causing a metal scraping sound. Took half an hour and they didn’t charge me for any of it! I suspect it’s because my car is 12 years old and they are hoping I’ll buy a new one from them soon. I will eventually, but my car is in great shape and only has 55K miles on it, so it’s going to be a few more years.

• Love 5
On 4/25/2022 at 11:23 AM, Scarlett45 said:

I finally bought myself an air compressor last year and can inflate my tires in the privacy of my own garage!  It's wonderful.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Does anyone else love the Progressive commercials about the people becoming their parents?

If so, and if you're an Amazon Prime member, there is an awesome Kindle book that's free and delightful, written by Dr. Rick, who leads the group sessions in the commercial.  It's a very short read, a picture book, really.  I think I finished it in 15-20 minutes last night.  Check it out!

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Rick-Will-See-Becoming-ebook/dp/B09LSCZCJC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2V7DSBMESC5AE&keywords=dr.+rick+will+see+you+now+a+guide+to+un-becoming+your+parents&qid=1650977547&sprefix=dr.+rick+%2Caps%2C111&sr=8-1

Edited by CouchTater
weird, random word placement
  • Useful 5
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Random question- what does it mean when lotion is claimed to be “pajama proof”?

I’m guessing that I doesn’t rub off on your pajamas, in other words it absorbs quickly.

Wouldn’t it just be easier to say absorbs quickly?

• Love 5

we planted a very small vegi garden the other day and them today some plants in the yard. its looking pretty good around here. of course the wind comes up every afternoon and the heat is around the corner so its mostly a wasted effort but hey, we tried. 

Edited by zoomama
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, zoomama said:

we planted a very small vegi garden the other day and them today some plants in the yard. its looking pretty good around here. of course the wind comes up every afternoon and the heat is around the corner so its mostly a wasted effort but hey, we tried. 

Your efforts trump Jill Rodrigues'. She just dumped raw horseshit in her "garden." 🙄

• LOL 4

My birthday is tomorrow, and I was planning to go to Tahoe for dinner with friends tonight, but they had to cancel due to having colds.  So I'm home instead, cats on my lap, watching the baseball game, and spending time with my online friends here.  Life is good.  I'm sure I will get a call from my brother tomorrow and we will have a nice chat.  Hard to believe that Sunday is May 1st already.  Where does the time go?

Edited by CalicoKitty
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

My birthday is tomorrow, and I was planning to go to Tahoe for dinner with friends tonight, but they had to cancel due to having colds.  So I'm home instead, cats on my lap, watching the baseball game, and spending time with my online friends here.  Life is good.  I'm sure I will get a call from my brother tomorrow and we will have a nice chat.  Hard to believe that Sunday is May 1st already.  Where does the time go?

Happy birthday 🎉 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I hope you have an awesome birthday filled with laughter, love and lots of cake!!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Happy Birthday GIF

• Love 4
12 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Happy birthday @CalicoKitty!

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 4
On 4/29/2022 at 6:00 AM, ginger90 said:

Red flag warning here today. I’d take almost any other weather related option over this. 

We also have a red flag warning here and I  rather have that then snow.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

What are the red flag warnings for? 
I hope everyone’s safety isn’t an issue. 

A Red Flag Warning means that critical fire weather conditions are either occurring or are imminent due to a combination of strong winds, low relative humidity and dry fuels. Any fires that develop may quickly get out of control and become difficult to contain.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4