Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Just wanted to clarify that the shooting wasn’t in the city, it was in Brooklyn. As far as I know they still haven’t located the suspect. 😞 

Edited by ginger90
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Just wanted to clarify that the shooting wasn’t in the city, it was in Brooklyn. As far as I know they still haven’t located the suspect. 😞 

Per the NYT, they’re still looking for the suspect now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Hello Everyone-

I wanted to come and share my good news, I have a new job!!!

I officially move May 1, it’s a 31% raise, higher title and an amazing opportunity! 

The interview process has been SO LONG and waiting is THE WORST but I did it. I left it all on the zoom call!rocky balboa win GIF by RockyMake It Rain Reaction GIF

Congratulations!

• Love 5

Thank you! I have been knee deep in weekend caregiver interviews for my sister, so I am LEGIT exhausted. 

I was going to take some vacation days before the change but I can't (scheduling). 

It looks like the weekend caregiver situation for my sister may be improving so I should at least have more free time on the weekends. 

The woman I hired, R had to have dental surgery so she starts the end of this month, I think she could be with us 10yrs or more. We like longevity and she’s looking for that. She's been taking care of elderly persons (she has two clients during the week now) but that means every couple of years looking for a new job when people pass away and that becomes exhausting.

My sister really liked another woman, L, (I thought she would from the first zoom interview- I got very calm hippy vibes from her) but she has a degree in social work and is in between jobs, wants to move out of state next year, so I am giving her 1 Saturday a month as needed. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

Congratulations, @Scarlett45! Are you changing companies, or just changing positions within the same company?

Changing positions within the same company. So my benefits all stay the same (vacations etc) but my base pay increases. 

Let’s see my face when I get the May 15th paycheck! Lol. Actually I won’t be spending any of it- I will be stocking it away the rest of 2022 for a new car when I need one (my car is a 2006, and I pay cash for cars), I got a nice little raise in January so I have more pocket money than I did last year, I will keep living off of that and reevaluate in 2023. 

• Love 16

@Scarlett45 - WOO HOO!! Congratulations on the new job, and the new weekend caregiver. Your hard work is showing results! Thanks to your good news, I'm humming that old song "Everything's coming up roses" - which may be an earworm for me all day, but that's okay. I have mad respect for your approach to car buying, too. 

I'm posting from the road. On a trip to see some outdoor sights, camping in state parks in the state next door. Of course, Mother Nature messed with the plan - and Mother Nature always wins. In this case, with wind. Howling gusty winds all along the route from home to here, part of that huge weather front that's hitting across big areas of the nation. It caused me to delay my departure by a day, but the first leg of the drive wasn't too bad. Spent that night in the minivan. But yesterday's driving was still difficult due to the high winds along the way.

I got to the park late yesterday and the wind was howling there too. Decided I didn't need to try to sleep in the minivan with howling winds in chilier-than-usual temps. Thank goodness for smartphones. Sat there and snagged a room in a hotel in the nearby town. I'm sipping my morning coffee here after ten hours' restorative sleep. Looking forward to a day exploring the park which has some almost amazing geology, spending tonight there in my camping space. And the next night I'll have moved on to another state park, this one with a lakeside camping space. The weather predictions for the next few days are much nicer than the last few, thank goodness.

I'm doing this camping using an annual state parks camping pass for this state, which I bought last year. TBH when I saw the weather forecasts I factored in a possible hotel stay to the plans.  Because I have the annual pass, the campsites only require a small reservation fee, and weather this time of year can be a crapshoot. I"m not a hard-core outdoorsy camping type. I watch a lot of online content about rigging out vehicles for life on the road and/or camping. I skip anything titled "how to equip your vehicle for overnights in winter weather." Nope, no thanks, not happening, not for this girl. For me the whole idea of camping in the minivan is to enjoy warm weather and avoid cold weather. 

• Love 21
11 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Hello Everyone-

I officially move May 1, it’s a 31% raise, higher title and an amazing opportunity! 

The interview process has been SO LONG and waiting is THE WORST but I did it. I left it all on the zoom call!

edited to add- people have been asking me where I’m moving to, I’m not moving residences, just positions, I’ll be going to another floor but we are all hybrid so that will get figured out.rocky balboa win GIF by RockyMake It Rain Reaction GIF

That's great news!  Congratulations!

• Love 5

Congratulations, @Scarlett45!!
Your trip sounds wonderful, @Jeeves.  I'm not made for camping as I crave city/suburban life, but I always enjoy reading about your outdoor excursions.

Small update-all of my cardiac testing has been complete, and now, I just wait.  I managed to go the full 2 weeks with the monitor even though I was itchy and red the entire time.  The echo was just awful.  Part of it was the position I had to stay in, but the tech figured out one of my ribs on my left side is not in the correct place.  She was trying all sorts of techniques to see my heart, but she just kept getting that rib and left lung.  The monitor was easy and only took 5 minutes.  Once it's placed, it just sticks to you, and it can be worn for up to 14 days.  At the end, you take it off, stick it in the booklet they provide and mail it back USPS.  When you felt a symptom, you just press the center of the monitor itself, and the booklet has a log book to fill out.  Yesterday was the tilt table test.  That was 90 minutes of hell.  After getting dosed with a spray of nitroglycerin, my already high heart rate shot up to 157.  I didn't fully pass out, but I did get the grey tunnel vision.  I never want to feel that way again, and I'm glad it's done.  The monitor results won't be back for 7-10 days, so I'm in limbo until then.  If you ever need a heart monitor, I would suggest bringing up the Zio patch.  Outside of my allergy, it went well, stayed put, and you don't have to worry about charging anything or need batteries.  It's about the size of a key fob, and it didn't get in my way of driving with the seatbelt.  I attached a picture in case anyone is curious...or needs a dose of eye-candy ;)
image.png.ccd84cee150c7c86c904a2dd6ac5d4a6.png 

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
On 4/13/2022 at 9:50 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Hello Everyone-

The interview process has been SO LONG and waiting is THE WORST but I did it. I left it all on the zoom call!

edited to add- people have been asking me where I’m moving to, I’m not moving residences, just positions, I’ll be going to another floor but we are all hybrid so that will get figured out.rocky balboa win GIF by RockyMake It Rain Reaction GIF

Congrats Scarlett!!

• Love 3

In the Jill and Derick thread we have been talking about Mike Schadt, director of S.O.S. Ministries where the duggars did the missions/god bothering trips and Jill and Derick's "overseas" mission stay. He also married Jessa and Bin.

Anyway his health has not been good and he posted this long message a few months back for anyone who wants to read the crazy.

1sos.jpg

2sos.jpg

3sos.jpg

4sos.jpg

5sos.jpg

6sos.jpg

7sos.jpg

8sos.jpg

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

In the Jill and Derick thread we have been talking about Mike Schadt, director of S.O.S. Ministries where the duggars did the missions/god bothering trips and Jill and Derick's "overseas" mission stay. He also married Jessa and Bin.

Anyway his health has not been good and he posted this long message a few months back for anyone who wants to read the crazy.

1sos.jpg

2sos.jpg

3sos.jpg

4sos.jpg

5sos.jpg

6sos.jpg

7sos.jpg

8sos.jpg

What a whack job. This is who Jill/Derick and Jessa/Ben choose to associate with. Crazy.

• Love 11

Seriously Jill Rodrigues can write that.

What a guy 🙄. His illness is undiagnosed because it’s all in his head. He needs a psychiatrist! Can you imagine his doctors having to listen to this guy . 

Stay in USA. Stop going to other countries trying to convert people.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Seriously Jill Rodrigues can write that.

What a guy 🙄. His illness is undiagnosed because it’s all in his head. He needs a psychiatrist! Can you imagine his doctors having to listen to this guy . 

Stay in USA. Stop going to other countries trying to convert people.

It sounds like he may have Long Covid to me. Its the leap to poison and "untraceable tumors" that get me smacking my head and rolling my eyes. 🤦🏽‍♀️🙄

• Love 15
7 hours ago, crazy8s said:

1sos.jpg

2sos.jpg

3sos.jpg

4sos.jpg

5sos.jpg

6sos.jpg

7sos.jpg

8sos.jpg

So the whackadoodle mentions their training facility in Benin is just 20 miles from the most satanic voodoo capital of the world. Anyone know where that capital might be? I'm looking for a destination vacation this summer .... lol.

• LOL 16
  • Love 2

I am seeing my grandbabies for the first time since late February…I had a 15 lb lifting restriction for 6 weeks. Too hard to explain to the almost 2 year old that I couldn’t pick her up. It’s year end at work and I have worked a lot of hours. I needed this stress relief.

• Love 20
4 hours ago, Turquoise said:

I am seeing my grandbabies for the first time since late February…I had a 15 lb lifting restriction for 6 weeks. Too hard to explain to the almost 2 year old that I couldn’t pick her up. It’s year end at work and I have worked a lot of hours. I needed this stress relief.

Good for you @Turquoise. I got the all clear to lift my great nephews yesterday. I couldn’t wait.

Congrats @Scarlett45 on the new job!

• Love 9

Happy Easter to all of you who celebrate this holiday. 

My daughter is leaving her three kids with me for the week. She has to work and they are off from school. I will enjoy this time with them and be busy making good memories. 

• Love 17
On 4/17/2022 at 6:49 AM, Mindthinkr said:

Happy Easter to all of you who celebrate this holiday. 

My daughter is leaving her three kids with me for the week. She has to work and they are off from school. I will enjoy this time with them and be busy making good memories. 

Enjoy your time with your grandchildren!

• Love 2

Jinger's outfit would fit almost any occasion around here. I actually like it a lot, although jumpsuits, IMO, are too inconvenient, for me anyway.

quoting @GeeGolly above from the Jinger thread.

A few years ago when jumpsuits were coming back into style, I loved the way they looked and I wanted one, but everyone told me they were so inconvenient, so hard to go to the bathroom, so hard to get the right fit etc (I drink a lot of water so I am always in the bathroom). 

But oddly I LOVE jumpsuits! I got a black one last year on clearance, and I wore a little bralette under it and I looked SUPER FLY, it was so comfy and easy, it was like a DRESS (which I love) but with the easy of pants and it had POCKETS. I just bought a dark blue one on Amazon that fits, and omg I feel amazing- I am going to put on my new Steve Madden sandals and strut this summer. 

Despite being vastly different sizes up top and bottom (I still have a bust but a smaller rib cage, so no way do plus size tops fit me any more, but these THIGHS are still hanging on), if I get a jumpsuit that drapes right/has a bit of stretch its the most amazing thing ever!

Also, speaking from the Jinger thread. I find it interesting what different cultural groups determine to be modest/immodest. I have never been one to think a woman's (and yes we are usually talking about women in these discussions) clothing choices has anything to do with her morality or sexual habits- but I have noticed that people have vastly different ideas of what is "modest" and not modest. 

In my social group, (and the social groups I have intimate knowledge of) form fitting/fitted clothing is "fine", so long as there is more fabric (arms/legs covered, at least one if its not the height of summer), yet I am aware in other social groups, bare arms and legs and shoulders are "fine", but if one can see the actual curve of a woman hips/buttocks that is revealing. I just think this is an interesting anthropological study.

Of course all clothing is "fine" clothing doesn't have morality so long as it's not stolen. I just noticed.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Cinnabon said:

They should really make jumpsuits with buttons or snaps at the bottom, lol. Like bodysuits.

My mom loved body suits in the 80s- I have never liked them getting the snaps back together is so much work.

I just don't find getting the jumpsuit down to be that hard. Its no more work than it takes to pull a dress UP, and I am just as cold in the bra/bralette as I would be with my legs bare . I LOVE THEM- I get I am a weirdo, but I am glad I tried them out! I might get some printed ones from Shein just cause.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Scarlett45 said:

My mom loved body suits in the 80s- I have never liked them getting the snaps back together is so much work.

I just don't find getting the jumpsuit down to be that hard. Its no more work than it takes to pull a dress UP, and I am just as cold in the bra/bralette as I would be with my legs bare . I LOVE THEM- I get I am a weirdo, but I am glad I tried them out! I might get some printed ones from Shein just cause.

Back in the early 90s, I used to were some overall shorts with bralette-like tops and I loved it. I don’t mind bodysuits, as long as the snaps hold up. 

• Love 1
On 4/12/2022 at 7:11 PM, ginger90 said:

Brooklyn (/ˈbrʊklɪn/) is a borough of New York City, coextensive with Kings County, in the U.S. state of New York. Kings County is the most populous county in New York State, as well as the second-most densely populated county in the United States.[a] It is also New York City's most populous borough,[6] with 2,736,074 residents in 2020.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn

• LOL 5

I find clothing and cultures fascinating. So many 'lines are drawn' - age, social circles, ethnicity, occasion, style, comfort, era, etc.

Other than these Fundy families I mostly withhold judgment of others clothing choices, although I do have my own thoughts of appropriateness for certain occasions, but really, just live and let live.

I've been a 'tomboy' my whole life, yet went through my girlish stage in my late teens, early 20s, but I'm mostly a comfort dresser and rarely ever a trendy dresser. But I've also struggled with finding clothes that fit. I was very skinny, but always had boobs, now I'm skinny but thicker in the middle - so still a little hard to fit. I do try and dress for they occasion though.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Is anyone else having to sign in very often, and then having to do it several times because it won't take the user name or password?  This has been happening to me every day this past week.

Not at all. 🤔

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Not at all. 🤔

Thanks.  It could be that my cat "helps" on the computer, but it is happening quite often.  I will do another reboot and see if it stops.  I'm quite sure my internet is not getting interrupted, since everything else is working just fine.