Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

RE:  pins in the toes.  I have had pins in my little toes after surgery, and they just pull out at the office after the toe has healed.  That was no big deal.  Being non-weight bearing for 6 weeks is no fun; I've had to do it twice.  But it so pays off in the long run.  It really is worth it to take the doctor's advise and just get it over with.  It is very important that non-weight bearing means just that.  If you can follow the orders to the letter, you will have a much better  chance at success.  And, most importantly, out of pain with a fully-functioning foot.  Walking on a broken toe will lead to not only much more foot pain, but it will throw off his entire gait and way of walking.  That will lead to many other problems including pain from compensation in his hips and knees.   And probably back and shoulder pain.  And permanent foot disfigurement.  It is not a good idea to let it continue.

• Useful 7
  • Love 10
30 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

RE:  pins in the toes.  I have had pins in my little toes after surgery, and they just pull out at the office after the toe has healed.  That was no big deal.  Being non-weight bearing for 6 weeks is no fun; I've had to do it twice.  But it so pays off in the long run.  It really is worth it to take the doctor's advise and just get it over with.  It is very important that non-weight bearing means just that.  If you can follow the orders to the letter, you will have a much better  chance at success.  And, most importantly, out of pain with a fully-functioning foot.  Walking on a broken toe will lead to not only much more foot pain, but it will throw off his entire gait and way of walking.  That will lead to many other problems including pain from compensation in his hips and knees.   And probably back and shoulder pain.  And permanent foot disfigurement.  It is not a good idea to let it continue.

I know that, and you know that. But it is Husband's choice to not have the surgery. If he was pushed into having it done, it would not end well. One thing the surgeon did say was he was lucky because when he dislocated it, it turned downward (because he fell on it and it went underneath him). If it had gone upward or sideways he definitely would have needed surgical intervention immediately.

I completely hear what you are saying, but he said no, so I have to respect that.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Hey- I’m wondering if you can help me with some fashion choices Small Talk friends. 

Im still a 36G bra, so I want something that doesn’t make me look like a tent or pregnant. WHERE do ladies with a bust but who aren’t plus size get decent button down shirts????

Thank you. 

It is quite possible to tailor the blouses you already have to fit you, especially if they basically fit at the neck and shoulders, but are too big in the sleeves and body.  There are multiple videos on You Tube explaining how to do it, or, a decent tailor should be able to do it quite easily.

If they don't fit in the shoulders and/or neck, then the shirt really needs to be taken apart to re-do it and that's a bit more of a project.

Look for 'tailor a shirt' videos on You Tube, even if you're not Betsy Ross, it isn't that hard with a sewing machine and some pins.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

I know that, and you know that. But it is Husband's choice to not have the surgery. If he was pushed into having it done, it would not end well. One thing the surgeon did say was he was lucky because when he dislocated it, it turned downward (because he fell on it and it went underneath him). If it had gone upward or sideways he definitely would have needed surgical intervention immediately.

I completely hear what you are saying, but he said no, so I have to respect that.

Is there any way he could use one of those knee scooters to work while he's non-weight-bearing?  Even if he could only work part-time, it might make it easier.  I understand why he doesn't want to get it fixed, but he really could end up with even bigger, more painful problems in the future if it doesn't heal properly.

image.png.4813af3305a71beaf70867c87ec164a2.png

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Rootbeer said:

Is there any way he could use one of those knee scooters to work while he's non-weight-bearing?  Even if he could only work part-time, it might make it easier.  I understand why he doesn't want to get it fixed, but he really could end up with even bigger, more painful problems in the future if it doesn't heal properly.

image.png.4813af3305a71beaf70867c87ec164a2.png

Not sure that would work for him. Employment-wise, he is a mechanic and his driving foot is the one broken. Even if he was able to get to work, I can’t see him fixing cars while using this. He would be frustrated within 5 minutes. He did say if the pain was really bad he would revisit the surgery option. But knowing him…

Continuing convo form the Jill thread.

@Cinnabon, I considered going gray at least a dozen times in the last two years. The reason I haven't is because of make-up. I would need to apply make-up daily verses dying my hair every 6 weeks or so. As much as I hate dying my hair, I'd rather do that 8 or 9 times a year than apply make-up over 250 times during that same time.

But that's me - I only wear make-up now, 3 or 4 times a year, so for now I'm sticking with the dye.

• Love 8
58 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Any advice for me? I was a brunette but my hair started turning grey by my early 20s. I’ve always dyed it but stopped during the pandemic. So now I’ve got a full head of white hair. I’m very fair but have mild rosacea so my face gets red easily. So white hair and fair/pink skin!  So I’m much like Jill. I haven’t been wearing makeup for the last 2 years either. I’m not sure I want to go back to getting it dyed every 4 weeks, it’s a lot of work and expensive. But how can I make it work? I’m also considering buying some wigs, lol.

sorry, this is all about me, not Jill. Can you respond in Small Talk?

(I first posted this in the wrong topic, but am moving it here instead)

I feel for ya. I'm now sporting a head of pandemic white hair. But I got here from the other "direction" than you, in that I was a natural ash blonde. (My hair went mousy/blah/meh in middle age and I was spending the bucks to keep it dyed blonde for many years. Until the pandemic messed up the schedule, and my natural color grew out enough for me to realize it's no longer mousy/meh but a nice white.)

Could you get some in-person makeup advice, before putting out the bucks to have the hair dyed again? Maybe there's a workable-for-you makeup plan that will give you a nice look with the current hair color. 

As for me, I wouldn't want to get back on the hair-dye merry-go-round. I go without makeup more often than I did pre-pandemic. But I usually wear makeup for any social or business event, and am getting back to almost daily use which was the old normal. I've been paying attention to upping the makeup game a bit, so I don't look like a ghost, lol.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, awaken said:

Wait, why do you have to wear makeup every day if your hair goes a natural grey?  

If you're replying to me, I didn't say anybody has to do that. Cinnabon mentioned her skin/hair combination as apparently not pleasing to her, and in reply to that I suggested that makeup might be a less expensive way to deal with that, than going back to hair dye. I didn't say she HAD to do that. I couldn't tell from her post what her habits as to wearing makeup have been in the past. 

To clarify my comment about my own makeup, I have naturally very pale coloring and now, also white hair. I don't slather on the makeup, but foundation evens out the skin tones, eye makeup accents my eyes, and overall the makeup helps me to not look like an effing ghost. I used to wear makeup every day anyway so for me it's NBD.

• Love 3
(edited)
19 minutes ago, awaken said:

Wait, why do you have to wear makeup every day if your hair goes a natural grey?  

Because I’m very fair skinned with some rosacea and I’m not sure how I feel about the white hair after being brunette all of my life.

5 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

If you're replying to me, I didn't say anybody has to do that. Cinnabon mentioned her skin/hair combination as apparently not pleasing to her, and in reply to that I suggested that makeup might be a less expensive way to deal with that, than going back to hair dye. I didn't say she HAD to do that. I couldn't tell from her post what her habits as to wearing makeup have been in the past. 

To clarify my comment about my own makeup, I have naturally very pale coloring and now, also white hair. I don't slather on the makeup, but foundation evens out the skin tones, eye makeup accents my eyes, and overall the makeup helps me to not look like an effing ghost. I used to wear makeup every day anyway so for me it's NBD.

I haven’t worn much makeup at all for the past 2 years, but before that I wore at least a little most days. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 3

Ugh. I can't wear eye makeup, so I guess I will have to color into perpetuity. Oh well. I do it at home, and it's cheap, but if I am going to look all washed out when I go mostly gray (my stylist says I am about 30% now), I will soldier on. 😊

• Love 2
1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Ugh. I can't wear eye makeup, so I guess I will have to color into perpetuity. Oh well. I do it at home, and it's cheap, but if I am going to look all washed out when I go mostly gray (my stylist says I am about 30% now), I will soldier on. 😊

I dyed my own hair for years, but when I got to the point of having more than 50% gray, it got to be more difficult, so I started having it done professionally . But it was pricey.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I dyed my own hair for years, but when I got to the point of having more than 50% gray, it got to be more difficult, so I started having it done professionally . But it was pricey.

I'm lucky that my stylist is DIRT CHEAP. And younger than me, so she'll be around for as long as I need her. 😀

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Re: Hair Color-

I have had great results with hair color from Madison Reed. A couple of my friends swear by ESalon, which is similar. With both these companies, you fill out a questionnaire, and the company suggests a hair color for you. Application is very easy. The product quality is better than, say, Nice and Easy, but you aren't paying megabucks to go to a salon. My hair color subscription arrives every seven weeks (you can adjust the time), and costs about $30. The customer service is excellent. I especially love the conditioner that comes with the hair color. My hair feels so soft and is so manageable after I use it. Highly recommend.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, awaken said:

Oh no, my post does imply that. As others mentioned I was replying to another poster, but I also feel that way personally. Going gray is, IMO, a big step emotionally as well as physically. Between doing group therapy and having a husband around a decade older than me, I see first hand how others automatically assign 'old' to folks with gray hair. They start to talk a little louder and over explain things - just because. Wearing make-up makes one look a little younger and more 'put together', so others are less likely to give you the 'old person treatment', in addition to balancing out color for those with paler skin. So when and if I go gray, I want to make the transition to 'old' a little more gradual for me. Of course, that's how I feel now. In five or ten years, I may not give a shit.

Came back to add, pre-pandemic I split dying my own hair and getting it done at the salon. My hairdresser would add lowlights which gave my hair a more dimension and a more natural look. In the summer though, no matter who dyes my hair, or what shade of blonde, the sun bleaches my hair out to a bleached blonde look and I don't like it. But anyway, I haven't had my hair dyed professionally in over two years and fortunately my grays must have enough variation so even with store bought dye it looks natural. I have a few friends, both young and old, who swear by Madison Reed, saying its salon quality dye.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 3

My hair is 90% "gray" - actually more of a silvery white. And it's rather long, so I'm breaking all the rules! It was surprising for a while to see my white hair in the mirror, instead of the light brown/dirty blonde of my youth. I don't wear make up often, but when I do, it's Boom! cosmetics. I moisturize daily. I never was very much into make-up. My fair skin tone looks fine with my hair color.  I think people have to do what makes them comfortable. In the past, I've colored at home (and inevitably would either get some dye on my counter, wall or a towel) and in the salon. Now I'm freed from endlessly checking my roots in the mirror. Anyway, like I said, we are all free to choose whatever we want to do to make ourselves feel attractive and comfortable in ourselves. I'm just thankful Bill Gothard isn't making my hair choices! Gray banana curls is going just a bit too far for me!

• LOL 18
  • Love 1

I’m a few weeks overdue coloring my hair, and boy does it show! I dye it red, so it’s high maintenance. Fortunately I have an appointment on Saturday. I stopped wearing makeup regularly during the pandemic, and with working from home most of the time, I only occasionally wear it now. I really upped my skincare game, so it looks pretty good most of the time. I’m pale, so I sometimes add a couple of bronzer drops to my moisturizer. Recently I had my once-a-year giant zit on my chin - seriously, that thing was the size of a quarter and was painful! It’s under control now, but the area is still red and a bit dry from all of the zit patches I used (Zit Sticka Killa are the best). I have a facial scheduled next week and hope my esthetician can help. 

• Love 6
(edited)

@Mindthinkr, I happened to see a couple of episodes of Married at First Sight  recently when TLC was running some back to back. So I went to their forum here on Primetimer, and I think I saw comments from you. I was curious if you thought Alyssa looked a little like Lauren Duggar,  Josiah's wife? If you weren't the on that thread, I apologize! There was one name I recognized from this forum.  I haven't watched many of the episodes because I just really couldn't get that interested in any of the participants.  

Edited by Liddy52
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Any advice for me? I was a brunette but my hair started turning grey by my early 20s. I’ve always dyed it but stopped during the pandemic. So now I’ve got a full head of white hair. I’m very fair but have mild rosacea so my face gets red easily. So white hair and fair/pink skin!  So I’m much like Jill. I haven’t been wearing makeup for the last 2 years either. I’m not sure I want to go back to getting it dyed every 4 weeks, it’s a lot of work and expensive. But how can I make it work? I’m also considering buying some wigs, lol.

sorry, this is all about me, not Jill. Can you respond in Small Talk?

I actually love wearing makeup and I do not find it a chore.  I also suffer from mild rosacea.  I find that upping my skincare game has helped me need less base makeup.  Some companies like Paula's Choice have products designed to help with mild redness. 

https://www.paulaschoice.com/skin-concerns/skin-redness

My skin tolerates azelaic acid and niacinamide.  I find those work to help with my redness.  I also use a gentle and very moisturizing SPF with zinc oxide.  I cannot use American chemical sunscreens.  There are tinted sunscreens that you might be able to use that give enough tint to tone down your cheeks without having to use a heavy foundation and concealer.  I find if I use my heavier foundations, that I have to use blush to bring back some color into my cheeks.  

• Love 3

Speaking of hair color- what do you ladies use to protect your dyed hair from the sun? Last year I realized that the sun can change your hair color!(yes I intellectually knew it did that, but having never actually experienced it I was shocked when it happened to me)

I did buy a small Moroccan oil SPF spray, but the bottle was so small. I guess I could wear a hat when I go outside to walk Cosmo. 

Speaking of Cosmo, he’s back in his “cone of safety”- sliced up his paw and was limping. He’s going to be fine, but pain meds and antibiotics for a week. He’s a city dog, so I’m not surprised if this happens once a year. 

FA4553AE-5781-4B3B-9EF0-738A5A47A5C7.jpeg

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Speaking of hair color- what do you ladies use to protect your dyed hair from the sun? Last year I realized that the sun can change your hair color!(yes I intellectually knew it did that, but having never actually experienced it I was shocked when it happened to me)

I did buy a small Moroccan oil SPF spray, but the bottle was so small. I guess I could wear a hat when I go outside to walk Cosmo. 

Speaking of Cosmo, he’s back in his “cone of safety”- sliced up his paw and was limping. He’s going to be fine, but pain meds and antibiotics for a week. He’s a city dog, so I’m not surprised if this happens once a year. 

Poor baby man! He does look less happy than usual in his cone of shame. I hope he heals quickly.

I use Bumble and bumble’s Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Heat & UV Protective Primer and Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Dry Oil Finishing Spray. I like both products. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Poor baby man! He does look less happy than usual in his cone of shame. I hope he heals quickly.

I use Bumble and bumble’s Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Heat & UV Protective Primer and Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Dry Oil Finishing Spray. I like both products. 

Ooooo I’m down for anything with “oil” in the title!

• Love 1
On 4/5/2022 at 11:28 AM, Scarlett45 said:

Im still a 36G bra, so I want something that doesn’t make me look like a tent or pregnant. WHERE do ladies with a bust but who aren’t plus size get decent button down shirts????

I have a friend that swears by a company called eshakti.  She's one of those people that is on the short side, has a tiny waist, but very curvy hips and a large bust.  Finding off the rack clothes for her that aren't just tunics and flowy skirts is very hard. 

You'd want to get someone knowledgeable like a tailor to get your measurements.  From there you can pick a shirt you like from the website and then customize it (change neck line, collar, length of sleeves, etc) and then you have the option to have it made in a standard size or have it made to your exact measurements.  For their shirts that would be your shoulder, upper arm, chest, bust, under bust, waist, hip, and height.  If your torso length deviates from the statistical average, you can optionally give them information like length from hips to bust for an even better fit.  They also have the option for designs that are from their own collection where you can mix and match the fabric from one offering with the design for another, with the limitation that you can't mix a knit fabric with a linen design or vice versa.

Bonus: all their dresses come with pockets!

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
(edited)
16 minutes ago, peppergal said:

I have a friend that swears by a company called eshakti.  She's one of those people that is on the short side, has a tiny waist, but very curvy hips and a large bust.  Finding off the rack clothes for her that aren't just tunics and flowy skirts is very hard. 

You'd want to get someone knowledgeable like a tailor to get your measurements.  From there you can pick a shirt you like from the website and then customize it (change neck line, collar, length of sleeves, etc) and then you have the option to have it made in a standard size or have it made to your exact measurements.  For their shirts that would be your shoulder, upper arm, chest, bust, under bust, waist, hip, and height.  If your torso length deviates from the statistical average, you can optionally give them information like length from hips to bust for an even better fit.  They also have the option for designs that are from their own collection where you can mix and match the fabric from one offering with the design for another, with the limitation that you can't mix a knit fabric with a linen design or vice versa.

eShakti is excellent for the hard-to fit and their prices are reasonable.  I'm going to a formal wedding this summer and just bought a floor length gown for under 90 bucks from them. There were lots of other options that were even less.

As noted, you can also pick a fabric and then pick a style which I think might be nice for bridal parties where everyone uses the same fabric, but chooses their own style.  Way cheaper than even David's.

All of their clothes can be personalized.  You pick a basic design and then you can play with the neckline, length, sleeves, etc to make it what you want.  You can pick standard sizes, including plus sizes or send them your measurements.

I've used them several times and have been happy with the quality.  Despite the customization, they have a quick turnaround and I've gotten my orders within a couple weeks.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 4
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, peppergal said:

Oh I love eshakti. I haven’t bought anything from there in a few years. They have shirts now? I always loved getting dressses there because they had POCKETS and the skirts were LONG enough. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Liddy52 said:

@Mindthinkr, I happened to see a couple of episodes of Married at First Sight  recently when TLC was running some back to back. So I went to their forum here on Primetimer, and I think I saw comments from you. I was curious if you thought Alyssa looked a little like Lauren Duggar,  Josiah's wife? If you weren't the on that thread, I apologize! There was one name I recognized from this forum.  I haven't watched many of the episodes because I just really couldn't get that interested in any of the participants.  

Yes, that was me. I think Lauren favors Alyssa a bit, but nobody beats Alyssa in having a ugly personality. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Yes, that was me. I think Lauren favors Alyssa a bit, but nobody beats Alyssa in having a ugly personality. 

Yes, Alyssa definitely personifies ugly personality.  I did watch long enough to be happy for Chris when he chose to end that travesty of a "marriage". Thanks for replying. 

• Love 2

One good thing for me out of the pandemic was it forced me to grow out my gray.  I had been coloring it for at least 15 years. Recently, I mentioned to my hairdresser that I had hesitated going gray because I was afraid it would have a yellowish tinge like my mom's gray hair.  The stylist asked me if my mom had smoked.  Bingo.  I had never thought of that.  I like my gray, and use a purple shampoo to keep it more silver.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
11 minutes ago, lilwhitelion said:

One good thing for me out of the pandemic was it forced me to grow out my gray.  I had been coloring it for at least 15 years. Recently, I mentioned to my hairdresser that I had hesitated going gray because I was afraid it would have a yellowish tinge like my mom's gray hair.  The stylist asked me if my mom had smoked.  Bingo.  I had never thought of that.  I like my gray, and use a purple shampoo to keep it more silver.

I’m finding that my hair is straightening as it becomes more grey.

My father was grey in medical school and I’m the spit of him, so the fact that I made it to 33 before I started dying it was a miracle!(I had a grey streak at 11)

Im giving myself until about 45 and then I might go a blue toned silver like SO-

0DE3CF68-5ACD-4E1D-A950-F736F3E419F6.png

1B42947F-E7AF-41CD-8DD0-E6214BA80187.png

• Love 10

I started going gray at age 19, a fact I was not happy with. So I colored for years, but gave it up about 7 years ago. Between PCOS and no thyroid (cancer), hair loss can be an issue at times. I didn't want to make it any worse with dye. My hair is coming in a pretty silver, and I'm about half and half now with my original brown. I wish it would just go full Emmylou Harris on me. One thing I am enjoying is the silver is a bit coarser with a wave. I always had defiantly straight baby fine hair that turned to limp spaghetti in damp weather. It has been fascinating to have more natural body.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I actually love wearing makeup and I do not find it a chore.  I also suffer from mild rosacea.  I find that upping my skincare game has helped me need less base makeup.  Some companies like Paula's Choice have products designed to help with mild redness. 

https://www.paulaschoice.com/skin-concerns/skin-redness

My skin tolerates azelaic acid and niacinamide.  I find those work to help with my redness.  I also use a gentle and very moisturizing SPF with zinc oxide.  I cannot use American chemical sunscreens.  There are tinted sunscreens that you might be able to use that give enough tint to tone down your cheeks without having to use a heavy foundation and concealer.  I find if I use my heavier foundations, that I have to use blush to bring back some color into my cheeks.  

Thanks!

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’m finding that my hair is straightening as it becomes more grey.

My father was grey in medical school and I’m the spit of him, so the fact that I made it to 33 before I started dying it was a miracle!(I had a grey streak at 11)

Im giving myself until about 45 and then I might go a blue toned silver like SO-

0DE3CF68-5ACD-4E1D-A950-F736F3E419F6.png

1B42947F-E7AF-41CD-8DD0-E6214BA80187.png

I love that! I’ve thought of doing something similar, but since my hair is white, it would probably still take a lot of upkeep when my roots grew in. I might be leaning more and more towards a wig, lol.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Turquoise said:

I started going gray at age 19, a fact I was not happy with. So I colored for years, but gave it up about 7 years ago. Between PCOS and no thyroid (cancer), hair loss can be an issue at times. I didn't want to make it any worse with dye. My hair is coming in a pretty silver, and I'm about half and half now with my original brown. I wish it would just go full Emmylou Harris on me. One thing I am enjoying is the silver is a bit coarser with a wave. I always had defiantly straight baby fine hair that turned to limp spaghetti in damp weather. It has been fascinating to have more natural body.

@Turquoise - I have no thyroid due to thyroid cancer too. I don't know if that contributed to my early menopause and my going gray early, but I've often wondered. 

My hair is pretty thick and I find that using a purple shampoo once a week helps keeps it silvery and shiny.

I'm heading up North tomorrow to spend a week or so with my daughter & my grandkids. I'm so excited! I haven't packed yet, but I have a list of what to bring and I'm all caught up on laundry. 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Oh I love eshakti. I haven’t bought anything from there in a few years. They have shirts now? I always loved getting dressses there because they had POCKETS and the skirts were LONG enough. 

eShakti has hundreds of tops; everything from button-down menswear-type shirts to camisoles to tunics.

• Love 1

I had often wondered how I was going to stop coloring my hair--I've colored it since I was about 19. Sometimes I did it jet black from a box (not a great look but I was young). Sometimes I did it various shades of red from a box. About 25 or so years ago I started seeing a colorist and had it colored a reddish brown to auburn every time I got a cut. And then the pandemic. I got my hair cut and colored in January 2020 (was scheduled for one in March 2020 but obviously that did not happen). Then I got it cut--but not colored--in the respite before Delta in July 2021 before I went back to my hometown to bury my dad. Now I have long mousy brown hair with some red in it. My stylist commented that I was lucky because it was so similar to my natural color (except for some grey bits) that it was easy to grow out. So I guess I was wasting my money for years. 😂

• Love 5
9 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I had been coloring my hair since I was pregnant with Sweet Son.  That was about 53 years ago.  It was just a little gray and the color has always been from a box except for once and I couldn't tell a difference.  But, after he got so sick, it started coming in white and meant coloring al the time.  While he was sick, we both looked into how to get the color out because we both agreed a white grow out would not be good for me.  But, then he died and I kept coloring out of habit and then didn't know what to do about removing color because it seemed a tricky not at home process.  Last March dear son in law told me he ran into a friend who did what I wanted to do and had a "colorist".  I made the appointment and yes, that's all he did, was color. We talked and he made me aware that I could need more than one session (which Sweet Son and I had researched and knew) but he would start the process.  He used a product that seemed non toxic as in no fumes and he didn't wear gloves.  It took 5 hours and I left there with light yellow hair.  He told me if I could be patient, it would grow out.  If not, come back and he would color it what is growing out of my head.  I seem to have been patient.  It is a year now.  I love what it is.  Silvery white.  There is a tiny bit of the yellow left, sort of.  Maybe one more hair cut will do it.  I use one of many purple shampoos or conditioners.  I also use the L'Oreal Silver Gloss which is nice.  Sweet Son also encouraged me to see a real stylist instead of Pigtails and Crewcuts (kids haircut place) but I resisted. Finally I saw real stylist and love it now.  I wish he could see it. Son in law loves it.  

78619434-9399-45DE-AC7E-B539217D76D3.jpeg

Your hair is stunning, @lookeyloo. And what lovely memories of Sweet Son.

• Love 17
8 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Somewhere in Arkansas, Jim Bob reads this and gnashes his teeth at the missed opportunity. https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/couple-12-children-uses-same-134254762.html

Yikes, I'm one of four and we all have distinctly different names and my parents still called us by the wrong names at times, or all four names until they hit the right one. 12 kids with such similar names is a nightmare to me, lol.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, crazy8s said:

for everyone who thought Carlin naming a kid Zade was weird, these folks are far worse in naming children

Let’s see what I can come up with using z a d e

Deza “dehzuh”

Deaz 

Zade

Zeda “zeeduh “

Zade “zaday”

Edaz 

Ezad

Daze 

Edited by iwantcookies
  • LOL 2
14 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Let’s see what I can come up with using z a d e

Deza “dehzuh”

Deaz 

Zade

Zeda “zeeduh “

Zade “zaday”

Edaz 

Ezad

Daze 

No matter how horrid our guesses are, they always manage to come up with worse. 🤣

• LOL 2
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Yikes, I'm one of four and we all have distinctly different names and my parents still called us by the wrong names at times, or all four names until they hit the right one. 12 kids with such similar names is a nightmare to me, lol.

I'm an only child and my parents would sometimes call me the dog's name.  

• LOL 19
  • Love 1