Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

On 2/13/2020 at 6:12 AM, Jynnan tonnix said:

Brought over from, I think it was the J's thread....

8 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I was reading an article recently, though, which mentioned that people with autism (and presumably those with other issues) are somewhat split on their preferred wording. Some feel, as has been mentioned that "people with autism" brings them as people to the forefront...

Language surely is moving like a freight train! The separation of the disorder from the person has been going on a long time.  However I (a 30+ year RN) just got yelled at for saying "Diabetic supplies" as opposed to medical supplies for someone with diabetes. OK then, it's a mouthful but I don't want the syringes to feel bad! 🙂

• LOL 14
25 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

Language surely is moving like a freight train! The separation of the disorder from the person has been going on a long time.  However I (a 30+ year RN) just got yelled at for saying "Diabetic supplies" as opposed to medical supplies for someone with diabetes. OK then, it's a mouthful but I don't want the syringes to feel bad! 🙂

I'm a long time Type I diabetic and I call them diabetic supplies. I didn't realize it should be changed to medical.  I don't get that, but, to each his own.  I know that I am involved with online communications regarding support as a caregiver for my cousin, who has dementia. I've learned to say "person with dementia" and not senile or demented.  There is even a movement to change the word dementia entirely, since, it brings up negative connotations. 

Galaxychaser, sorry you had some discord on your trip. That's a shame. Hope it's worked out. The scenery looks lovely! I've been to PR once, but, only to the airport.  Stopped there on the way to St. Martin, which was incredible. 

• Love 5

People in the Jill and Derick thread were talking about their outdoor adventures playing at construction sites and the like so I wanted to add my experience.

I was about 11 and we moved into a subdivision where new houses were still being built. One afternoon my brother and I and another boy, Scott, were playing "King of the Hill" on a dirt pile at a construction site. Scott was pulling me down the hill when I hit my head on a corner of a concrete block that was sticking out of the dirt. That caused a cut and scalp cuts bleed like crazy. I went home and started calling bars until I found the one where my mother was at. When she came to the phone I told her what had happened and that I was bleeding pretty badly and she said, "well, if It don't stop call me back" and hung up. I sat there thinking, "If it doesn't stop I'll die" but it did so I didn't so Yay? 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, TresGatos said:

People in the Jill and Derick thread were talking about their outdoor adventures playing at construction sites and the like so I wanted to add my experience.

I was about 11 and we moved into a subdivision where new houses were still being built. One afternoon my brother and I and another boy, Scott, were playing "King of the Hill" on a dirt pile at a construction site. Scott was pulling me down the hill when I hit my head on a corner of a concrete block that was sticking out of the dirt. That caused a cut and scalp cuts bleed like crazy. I went home and started calling bars until I found the one where my mother was at. When she came to the phone I told her what had happened and that I was bleeding pretty badly and she said, "well, if It don't stop call me back" and hung up. I sat there thinking, "If it doesn't stop I'll die" but it did so I didn't so Yay? 

Glad you were okay. That's scary. 

• Love 6

My mom pulled shit like that. I fell and cut my leg on an open manhole when I was 8 or 9. Blood was oozing out of my leg, and she slapped a bandaid on it and sent me to school. My teacher noticed right away and sent me to the nurse. Even as a kid, I could tell both the teacher and nurse were appalled that my mom sent me to school like that. I still have a terrible scar under my left knee from it. 

My brother and I were pretty klutzy and daredevil kids, which is not a great combination. Between the two of us there were more broken bones, bruises, cuts requiring stitches, concussions, and more from some of our dumb stunts. What's funny is that my dad, the doctor, was the one who would just shrug and tell us to walk it off. My mom would freak and take us to the ER. My dad wasn't uncaring, I think he had just seen much worse at his job and was probably sick of our injuries that resulted from being stupid kids, lol. 

I've learned to say "person with dementia" and not senile or demented.  

SunnyBeBe, is it okay to say "she/he has dementia"? I try hard to keep up with the "correct" terminology on things but it seems like so much changes all the time and I fall behind. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

My brother and I were pretty klutzy and daredevil kids, which is not a great combination. Between the two of us there were more broken bones, bruises, cuts requiring stitches, concussions, and more from some of our dumb stunts. What's funny is that my dad, the doctor, was the one who would just shrug and tell us to walk it off. My mom would freak and take us to the ER. My dad wasn't uncaring, I think he had just seen much worse at his job and was probably sick of our injuries that resulted from being stupid kids, lol. 

SunnyBeBe, is it okay to say "she/he has dementia"? I try hard to keep up with the "correct" terminology on things but it seems like so much changes all the time and I fall behind. 

Yes, that's what they say is preferred. I try, but, am not perfect. 

Happy VALENTINE'S DAY to you all! 💗🌹 I was going to say Happy Galentine's Day, but, that was yesterday and I missed it.  I think that is for gals only, but, am not sure. I'll have to do some research before next year comes around. lol

• Love 8

My therapist actually died a couple months ago...after helping me come to terms with the sudden deaths of several friends. What are the odds. I haven’t had the heart to go through the process of finding another therapist to help me through the loss of my former therapist 😔

17 minutes ago, awaken said:

My therapist actually died a couple months ago...after helping me come to terms with the sudden deaths of several friends. What are the odds. I haven’t had the heart to go through the process of finding another therapist to help me through the loss of my former therapist 😔

I feel you. When I went to the first appointment of my new psychiatrist, I blurted out

"do you mind telling me how old you are/and or when you plan on retiring?

Because I don't want to have to search for anther psychiatrist  ever again!!" (I then turned beet-red.)

But he just laughed and said "well I just had a checkup and my heath is good...and I don't ever plan on retiring, so you'll be ok for awhile!"

(I really like him)😊

• Love 8

I have a few questions. Does anyone here have Type 2 diabetes? I'm recently diagnosed and working on getting into a diabetic doctor. The doctor I have got me started on a prescription of insulin and gave me a list of foods and working on getting me that thing that gives you numbers. But I'm not really sure what it means. Just following the diet? Watching the numbers? How bad is Coke or Pepsi? Or chocolate? Kitkats? Or ice cream. If their bad what happens when you eat them? Am I suppose to be watching the sugar or carbs or both? The other problem is I also have gastroparesis which complicates things means the only way I can have fruits and vegetables is in a blender, smoothie, yogurt or V-8 juice. Is there anything besides vegetables that's considered "free"? I can't have any whole wheat, multi grain, nuts or oats. I've tried looking up sample diabetic menus but so far they each list something off the gastroparesis list that won't work. Are potatoes bad and why? What about milk, cheese, and cottage cheese? The internet seems to go back and forth on that. I see exercise is important but my other medical problems prevent me from doing that or pretty much anything. Any info would be great. Thanks.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I have a few questions. Does anyone here have Type 2 diabetes? I'm recently diagnosed and working on getting into a diabetic doctor. The doctor I have got me started on a prescription of insulin and gave me a list of foods and working on getting me that thing that gives you numbers. But I'm not really sure what it means. Just following the diet? Watching the numbers? How bad is Coke or Pepsi? Or chocolate? Kitkats? Or ice cream. If their bad what happens when you eat them? Am I suppose to be watching the sugar or carbs or both? The other problem is I also have gastroparesis which complicates things means the only way I can have fruits and vegetables is in a blender, smoothie, yogurt or V-8 juice. Is there anything besides vegetables that's considered "free"? I can't have any whole wheat, multi grain, nuts or oats. I've tried looking up sample diabetic menus but so far they each list something off the gastroparesis list that won't work. Are potatoes bad and why? What about milk, cheese, and cottage cheese? The internet seems to go back and forth on that. I see exercise is important but my other medical problems prevent me from doing that or pretty much anything. Any info would be great. Thanks.

You have my sympathy. My mother has gastropareisis and type 2 diabetes. She is terrible at controlling both, so no good advice there. As I look at both diets, they do seem opposite in a lot of way. I would strongly recommend seeing a nutritionist because it is confusing and the Internet is little help.

I make my mom a lot of soups.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

You have my sympathy. My mother has gastropareisis and type 2 diabetes. She is terrible at controlling both, so no good advice there. As I look at both diets, they do seem opposite in a lot of way. I would strongly recommend seeing a nutritionist because it is confusing and the Internet is little help.

I make my mom a lot of soups.

Thanks. That seems to be what I keep finding. What's okay on one list is not okay on the other. I am working to get into a diabetic doctor that does have nutritionist classes. I'm just waiting on the insurance to approve. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I have diabetes type 2, although it’s sort of reverted to pre-diabetes, and I’ve never had to use insulin. What you should and shouldn’t be eating sounds really complex, and it needs to be sorted out by a health professional. Having Diabetes and gastroparesis seems fairly common, so I’m sure the professionals will have answers. All you can do is take the prescribed medication as directed and follow what your doctor and health professionals have told you to do to the extent that you can. Sugary foods are an obvious poor choice for any diabetic, Pepsi and Coke are just sugar water, they’re bad. Carbs are turned into sugar by your body, that’s why some of them are bad. A diabetics (or person with diabetes) diet needs to avoid peaks and valleys in their blood sugar levels throughout the day, low glycemic index, “slow burning” foods help achieve that. You’ll also want to prioritise losing weight, as losing belly fat will really reduce the severity of your diabetes. The “numbers” probably refer to blood glucose (sugar) levels, they’re tested with a blood glucose monitor, which is probably the device you’re waiting to get, and I assume you’ll be told what numbers to aim for, and what to look out for by your doctor or a diabetes nurse/educator or whatever you have in America. @doodlebug knows more on the subject.  

ETA: potatoes are high glycemic index. Potatoes are starchy, starches are carbs, and carbs are turned into sugar by the body. 

Edited by kokapetl
  • Useful 6
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Sugar IS a carb, so both.

• Love 6

@andromeda331, I'm sorry you have that medical double whammy to deal with.

I'm no expert, but I do have relatives who have Type 2 diabetes now (middle aged and older) and because my A1C numbers have hit "prediabetic" levels in recent years I've studied up on it a bit. 

The advice above to avoid carbs is IMO right on. I've "relapsed" lately but for about 18 months I dropped grains and sugars from my diet, and saw my A1C numbers drop down into the normal range. And I offer this as MY OPINION, okay? But, I would run like hell from any doctor or nutritionist who says, you can eat sugar and starches all you want, just take your medicine. I've watched a relative who has done that over the past several years. He's an active guy now in his 70's, but he's now suffering the ravages of the disease anyway. He's losing sensation in his feet so that he's fallen several times, most recently breaking a bone. 

IMO the best approach is to learn to take your blood glucose readings, and avoid foods that cause them to spike up, which is consistent with what others have said here. I'm not saying you can reverse the disease but I do believe that you're better off doing all you can to keep your blood glucose levels as steady as possible. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

This can be really challenging, but, it is doable. It takes practice and lots of input from your doctor, certified diabetes educator and nutritionist. There are also sites where diabetics can  provide suggestions and support. I don't think most people realize just how much time and energy goes into managing diabetes. It's a  full time job that you didn't ask for, don't get paid for and can't quit.  I'll just share what I know. I've been Type 1 for 20 years. 

Is your doctor an Endocrinologist?  They are often the best one to properly diagnose and prescribe treatment, imo.  Did the doctor tell you  that you were Type 2? I ask, because diagnosing Type I from 2 can be rather tricky. Some people are told Type 2, but, actually are type 1. Also, did they prescribe you pills, like Metformin?  Most people who are Type 2 take pills, at least in the beginning and before they start on insulin.  I would say that meeting with a Certified Diabetes Educator (most endocrinologists have them in their office) is a great start. They can explain blood glucose meter testing, carb counting (carbs and sugar count) , basal rates, bolusing (injections before meal, carb/insulin ratio, etc.  It seems like a lot, but, with practice you can learn. 

I don't know much about gastroparesis, but, I have a friend who is Type I diabetic, who has that condition.  She had surgery and is doing SOOO much better. I'd ask your doctor to refer you to a dietitian who works with diabetics to help plan meals and snacks that fit you.  What may work for some, don't work for others. 

I know of some Type 2's who have a Continuous Glucose Monitor.  You wear the sensor under the skin and it provides you your Blood Glucose number at all times. There are different types, brands, etc. I'm pretty familiar with most of them and if you have a specific question, please send me a PM.  For me, the CGM is vital as a diabetic, as it can alert you when you're too low or too high and let you know trends in your in your blood sugar, like if you run too low after exercise. I think most insurance covers them. 

The important thing is to stay in touch with medical professionals, because, they really do want to help and to know that you are not alone. I learned to call and ask for their help when I needed it. Being an advocate for yourself is crucial.  Dealing with this condition can really be overwhelming.  It helps me to know that many others are dealing with it too.  Please check out a one day annual conference called Taking Control of Your Diabetes. It comes to most major cities annually.  It provides so much information, support, samples, screenings, networking and FUN.  I can't stress what a great day it is. It's affordable and free to anyone who needs it.  It really feeds my soul. 

Send me a PM anytime. While Type 1 and 2 differ, the goals are the same. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

@andromeda331, I'm sorry you have that medical double whammy to deal with.

I'm no expert, but I do have relatives who have Type 2 diabetes now (middle aged and older) and because my A1C numbers have hit "prediabetic" levels in recent years I've studied up on it a bit. 

The advice above to avoid carbs is IMO right on. I've "relapsed" lately but for about 18 months I dropped grains and sugars from my diet, and saw my A1C numbers drop down into the normal range. And I offer this as MY OPINION, okay? But, I would run like hell from any doctor or nutritionist who says, you can eat sugar and starches all you want, just take your medicine. I've watched a relative who has done that over the past several years. He's an active guy now in his 70's, but he's now suffering the ravages of the disease anyway. He's losing sensation in his feet so that he's fallen several times, most recently breaking a bone. 

IMO the best approach is to learn to take your blood glucose readings, and avoid foods that cause them to spike up, which is consistent with what others have said here. I'm not saying you can reverse the disease but I do believe that you're better off doing all you can to keep your blood glucose levels as steady as possible. 

I have known more than one person with Type 2 who has done this, and the long-term effects are not good.  Taking extra insulin to make up for beer, wine, chicken wings, etc ravages the body.  One guy I knew started having problems with his liver and the other one his kidneys.  

You can get organ damage from long term high blood glucose levels, but, insulin normally helps keep the levels down, which is good.  My great aunt was Type 1 for many years and she lived well into her 80's with no organ damage, no vision problems, no amputation, nor neuropathy, which is so inspiring to me. She had a long life and diabetes nor it's complications caused her death.   She did much of her management without the aid of modern technology too.  Many years ago, they didn't even have at home finger stick meters!  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
On 2/14/2020 at 7:08 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

There is even a movement to change the word dementia entirely, since, it brings up negative connotations. 

This is my gripe with the ever-changing verbiage train. The issue really isn't what is being said, it's the negative connotations about the issue. Crippled was obviously bad, so it was changed to handicap, then disabled, then differently-abled, then person with xx, all in hopes of highlighting the person and not the xx. 

I don't have a lot of faith that that is going to happened before there is new verbiage, but I've been through 5 vocabulary changes in 56 years so I'm probably just old and jaded.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I missed "differently abled." 

I still like that one for people with autism.  I think it highlights the fact that people with autism have brains that work differently and that is a good thing.  I'm not sold on neuro-typical and neuro-atypical mostly because what is neuro-typical.  I feel like our brains work differently and how do you decide on the baseline?  That language makes it sound like there is one right way for a brain to behave, and science doesn't support that.  I know that people with autism like this language and use it, so I try to be respectful of that.  But, i still feel like it is missing something.

• Love 9
20 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

You can get organ damage from long term high blood glucose levels, but, insulin normally helps keep the levels down, which is good.  My great aunt was Type 1 for many years and she lived well into her 80's with no organ damage, no vision problems, no amputation, nor neuropathy, which is so inspiring to me. She had a long life and diabetes nor it's complications caused her death.   She did much of her management without the aid of modern technology too.  Many years ago, they didn't even have at home finger stick meters!  

Thanks for this, and your other, also very informative post. Just to be clear, I wasn't arguing against use of insulin. Just against a blind approach that ignores any attempt to discover how much you can control your blood glucose levels by your food choices, in favor of just taking medicine. Obviously, @SunnyBeBe, you are very well-informed and proactive in caring for your health - just the opposite of the mindset I was cautioning against!

• Love 4

I met with my NEW certified diabetes educator today.  She's wonderful!  I had seen her speak at several of the Taking Control Of Your Diabetes conferences over the years , so, I sort of knew what to expect.  Her being a Type 1 also helps a lot!  She helped me with some pump issues and I hope things will settle down more for me. 

I had another one of those Twilight Zone moments today.  I arrived at my appointment and was walking on the concourse to the office area, when I got someone on my mind. I thought about them the entire stroll over the concourse.  This is not a family member or friend, but, someone that  I know through a business relationship.  I left after my appointment, but, had to return later in the afternoon to pick something up. As, I stood at an elevator, someone called my name.  I turned and it WAS THE PERSON I had been thinking about that morning!  She was there with a relative for medical appointment. (Mind you neither of us live in the city where this office is located!) She said they had been there ALL DAY.  So, she was there when I got there this morning . This is a HUGE medical hospital and I had not seen her at all.  In fact, I hadn't seen or talked to her in several months!  Isn't that odd?  It just really gets to me when something like that happens and I find that it happens so much.  Do you ever have things happen like that? 

• Love 8

Hey guys!!! Just got caught up, haha. Geeeeez my school year is so crazy! We just lost our principal and assistant principal in January! They were fired because of test scores. Now, they have taken away our planning periods for the rest of the year, so we can help kids study for the standardized tests. Charter schools make you do a lot more work than public schools, though there are also a lot of positives! I love my job, but it consumes most of my life. I’m looking forward to next year, when I can reuse lesson plans. The actual classes and kids are awesome. It’s the adults, rules, and workload that are difficult!

So interesting with all the diabetes talk. I went to a new doctor, and I really like him, but he can’t figure what’s up with me either. He told me I could try a weight loss med if I wanted, and suggested phentermine, belviq (which was recalled by the FDA in the last couple days lol), contrave, and Saxenda. Has anyone tried one? It sounds like they all really help you lose weight, which I am desperate to do, but they also seem like they have terrible side effects. However, I could be one of the lucky ones who doesn’t have an issue. I mean, I’ve been on birth control for ten years, and lots of people have horrible experiences with that. Has anyone taken any of these drugs before? How was your experience?

Just planned a Disney trip and cruise for this summer...can’t. Wait! LOL just got to get through the rest of this high stakes year, until testing is over. All of my fellow teachers, we got this!

• Love 16
2 hours ago, Christina87 said:

He told me I could try a weight loss med if I wanted, and suggested phentermine, belviq (which was recalled by the FDA in the last couple days lol), contrave, and Saxenda. Has anyone tried one? It sounds like they all really help you lose weight, which I am desperate to do, but they also seem like they have terrible side effects.

I haven’t taken any, but from the other side I’d the counter:

- no to Belviq. Not that you could get it at this point; it wasn't just recalled, it was pulled from the market because there was a correlation between it and cancer occurrences. I'd be surprised if it comes back at all
- we have patients that have good luck with Saxenda, but it's expensive and your insurance might either not cover it or make you fight for prior authorization
- Qsymia is another option, but not super popular. also likely to have iffy insurance coverage
- Contrave is also probably going to require you to jump though insurance hoops. You also work up to a goal dose (2 tablets twice daily, I think) so it might not fit into your schedule
- phentermine is pretty inexpensive and usually well tolerated from what I hear. it's more like Adderall in that it's a controlled medication and a simulant

None of the options are long term solutions and won't let you outrun a crappy diet, but for someone like you where it seems like that's not the issue I'd say there's no harm in trying one. It's up to you and your doctor, obviously, but from ease of use and cost and availability phentermine is going to be the least effort.

• Useful 8

I have been feeling really down since my PR trip. Lots of nightmares . They have been been about all my family getting together and having loads of fun together, while I frantically try to unsuccessfully join them (I'm always locked out of the building, get continuously lost while trying to find where they all are, etc..)

So Freudian. 

But on a lighter note....I FORCED myself to go to the movies with my cousin, and had a great time!  I was feeling so down, so I got up my courage and called her ( I'm ashamed to say how scared I was to do it.) 

We haven't seen each other in more than three years, and it was SO relaxing..And we talked and talked. We both said we need to do it again sooner. She's the closet person I've ever had as a best friend, even if we are related.

We both are very shy introverts. It's hard for us to get out of the house and meet up, but it's so good for us to do it.

We saw Little Women and both really enjoyed it.

• Love 19

My landlord sold the building. New owner and super are harassing me. I’m scared. They want to mess with the fuse box. I won’t let them. I said if electric company/electrician wants to look okay. No they say. The super can look. No thanks I’m thinking they want to break it so they can kick me out. 

Edited to add. The building is in terrible condition. I worry that the new owner will demolish the building. My paycheck is tiny. I can’t afford housing anywhere else in the city. I just can’t move. I’m stuck. It’s either this or live on the street.  Sigh. Sorry for complaining so much. 

Edited by galaxychaser
32 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

My landlord sold the building. New owner and super are harassing me. I’m scared. They want to mess with the fuse box. I won’t let them. I said if electric company/electrician wants to look okay. No they say. The super can look. No thanks I’m thinking they want to break it so they can kick me out. 

OMG.  That sounds incredible. I hope they mean no harm.  Do you have a written lease? I'd review or have an attorney review it to see what your options are.  Also, if you have to allow them access to inspect things. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, McManda said:

- phentermine is pretty inexpensive and usually well tolerated from what I hear. it's more like Adderall in that it's a controlled medication and a simulant

This drug gave me horrible insomnia. I could only sleep about 2 hours a night and couldn’t function the next day.

• Useful 1
30 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

OMG.  That sounds incredible. I hope they mean no harm.  Do you have a written lease? I'd review or have an attorney review it to see what your options are.  Also, if you have to allow them access to inspect things. 

I fear they mean harm. They can get twice the rent if they kick me out. If a licensed electrician came okay. But the super isn’t one. He can’t fix anything well at all. I don’t know how he hasn’t been fired. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I fear they mean harm. They can get twice the rent if they kick me out. If a licensed electrician came okay. But the super isn’t one. He can’t fix anything well at all. I don’t know how he hasn’t been fired. 

What’s their concern with the fuse box?

Is it a fuse box, or beakers? Just curious.

Well, I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad.  We have snow advisory for tomorrow!  Not very much, but, in NC, we get very excited over a a little snowfall.  We'll likely have around the clock local news coverage as they ride around the county showing each and every snowflake! lol It's rather funny.  A nice simple dusting would be nice, but, not much more or it really cramps my schedule. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

We have snow advisory for tomorrow! 

Enjoy!  Here in the NYC metro area, we have had about 4.8 inches of snow this year.  Usually, we have had 20 inches at least by this time.

On the weather report tonight, they had a map comparing our snowfall to the country as a whole.  Just about every area except for the Deep South has had much more than 5 inches of snow.

This makes me very afraid for March and April..

• Love 4
22 hours ago, McManda said:

I haven’t taken any, but from the other side I’d the counter:

- no to Belviq. Not that you could get it at this point; it wasn't just recalled, it was pulled from the market because there was a correlation between it and cancer occurrences. I'd be surprised if it comes back at all
- we have patients that have good luck with Saxenda, but it's expensive and your insurance might either not cover it or make you fight for prior authorization
- Qsymia is another option, but not super popular. also likely to have iffy insurance coverage
- Contrave is also probably going to require you to jump though insurance hoops. You also work up to a goal dose (2 tablets twice daily, I think) so it might not fit into your schedule

None of the options are long term solutions and won't let you outrun a crappy diet, but for someone like you where it seems like that's not the issue I'd say there's no harm in trying one. It's up to you and your doctor, obviously, but from ease of use and cost and availability phentermine is going to be the least effort.

Thank you so much!!! I might try one just to see, but I’m so scared of side effects, lol. I’m thinking about trying phentermine first, because I might be one of the lucky ones without side effects, and at least I’m not out tons of money if it isn’t a good fit. 

7 hours ago, ehall1052 said:

This drug gave me horrible insomnia. I could only sleep about 2 hours a night and couldn’t function the next day.

Blehhhhhh. That sucks. I have suffered from insomnia in the past, and definitely don’t want it back! Being a teacher has “cured” me lol. They say there’s no tired like teacher tired!

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Well, I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad.  We have snow advisory for tomorrow!  Not very much, but, in NC, we get very excited over a a little snowfall.  We'll likely have around the clock local news coverage as they ride around the county showing each and every snowflake! lol It's rather funny.  A nice simple dusting would be nice, but, not much more or it really cramps my schedule. 

Heck. Yes!!!! We’re up to the 2-4 inches in Charlotte. I’m sooooo hoping for a snow day!! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, marypat57 said:

Enjoy!  Here in the NYC metro area, we have had about 4.8 inches of snow this year.  Usually, we have had 20 inches at least by this time.

On the weather report tonight, they had a map comparing our snowfall to the country as a whole.  Just about every area except for the Deep South has had much more than 5 inches of snow.

This makes me very afraid for March and April..

I’m in NY too. I don’t think it’s going to snow in March or April. It’s strange not to have snow.

• Love 2
On 2/18/2020 at 10:52 PM, Love2dance said:

@ChiCricket, so sorry that Puerto Rico was so traumatic for you. I sure hope your dream life settles down...so unnerving.

Really glad you reached out to your cousin and had such a great day. You should do it again soon!

I hope I get over this feeling of resentment soon.

I usually talk to my kids every day (except the one in Germany) and I have had zero interest in talking to any of them right now.

Two of them tried getting in touch with me (finally) but only because they each needed something from me (picking up grandkids from various places as I usually do).

It just pissed me off even more. No apologies for how I was treated...just "mom, can you?"

No.mom.can.NOT

I uninstalled Facebook and messenger from my tablet, and have kept my phone off since I can never say no to them. I'm tired of getting guilt trips from them, and I know I'm a pushover, so I am just not being available by any usual possible way. 

They actually finally called my husband to try and get a hold of me.

Nope..don't hand me your phone..YOU talk to them.

So he did, and then he went and did all the running around for them for a change.

Sounds petty but I was (AM) really  upset. Sick of it, sick of myself.

Ugh,  I'm such a mess.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 2

ChiCricket, sometimes cutting yourself off from the requests of others, including/especially family, is good self care. Everyone gets burned out, resentful, and exhausted and you have to take time for yourself to get back in a good head space. You're not being unfair, you're taking time to recover. And if they can't deal that's their problem, not yours. They are all adults, they can figure things out for themselves. 

• Love 9
On 2/20/2020 at 1:06 AM, galaxychaser said:

Edited to add. The building is in terrible condition. I worry that the new owner will demolish the building. My paycheck is tiny. I can’t afford housing anywhere else in the city. I just can’t move. I’m stuck. It’s either this or live on the street.  Sigh. Sorry for complaining so much. 

You live in New York, correct?

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Can someone give me tips for posting photos? When I try to post it in my Reply from my phone, it says can't process. When, I try to post it from my Ipad, it says file is too large.  ??

I'm not a lot of help techie-wise - I don't know how to resize photos - but what works for me  is processing the photo through Facebook (I just post it with the settings such that I am the only one who can see it, unless it's something I was going to post there anyway) then save that version to my photo files (then delete the one on Facebook, and change my settings back to Friends). Then the file is small enough to share. I know it's a bit convoluted of a process, and useless if you don't have a Facebook account, but that's been my way of getting around it.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Can someone give me tips for posting photos? When I try to post it in my Reply from my phone, it says can't process. When, I try to post it from my Ipad, it says file is too large.  ?? 

This is the app I downloaded from Google Play.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shoozhoo.imageresizer

You open up the photo you want to use in this app, and then save it as a smaller size. Then you can share it here.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1