Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

First World Problems

The air conditioner was set to freezing at work. Now I can't get warm, although my skin is hot. The grandkids have lost/broken/eaten both of my thermometers, so I can't take my temperature. Plus, I was very tired at work so I drank a lot of caffeinated beverages and now I can't sleep.

I've been waiting since May to get my c-pap machine. It had to be special ordered for people with COPD, which I don't have, just damaged lungs from sarcoidosis. It came in today & I made an appointment to pick it up & learn how to use it for Thursday, only to realize I have to pay the 1st month's co-pay of $85, which I won't have until payday on Friday. One day, no big deal. Except the only person who knows how this machine works won't be in until Monday. I stop breathing 80-85 times an hour during the night & I wanted this machine this weekend so I could get 3 nights of great sleep before going back to work. (Poor, poor pitiful me...)

22 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I've been waiting since May to get my c-pap machine. It had to be special ordered for people with COPD, which I don't have, just damaged lungs from sarcoidosis. It came in today & I made an appointment to pick it up & learn how to use it for Thursday, only to realize I have to pay the 1st month's co-pay of $85, which I won't have until payday on Friday. One day, no big deal. Except the only person who knows how this machine works won't be in until Monday. I stop breathing 80-85 times an hour during the night & I wanted this machine this weekend so I could get 3 nights of great sleep before going back to work. (Poor, poor pitiful me...)

Nysha, I can’t believe they’re making you wait. Do you know what make and model you’re getting? I’m a 25 year user and work for a sleep doc. Maybe I could help? 

Also I can’t think of ANY machine that would take that low g to get. With the severity of your apnea, my doc would not put up with that. 

Taking care of your breathing is not a first world problem. 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

Nysha, I can’t believe they’re making you wait. Do you know what make and model you’re getting? I’m a 25 year user and work for a sleep doc. Maybe I could help? 

Also I can’t think of ANY machine that would take that low g to get. With the severity of your apnea, my doc would not put up with that. 

Taking care of your breathing is not a first world problem. 

i am a user here too. i can verify that it takes for freaking EVER to get c-pap equipment and o2 equipment. be sure to use a humidifier attachment to your c-pap -- otherwise your sinuses dry out and crack, bleed and the headaches are not pretty. also - clean your mask often!! the skin infection is not worth it. currently i just use a gentle cleaner in a packet and wipe it down before use. i also have COPD not from smoking but from asthma all my life. i am currently on o2 as needed.  its no fun when you NEED that o2 but your face is so torn up and blistered from infection from the plastic tubing. GAH!!  

• Love 2

@latetotheparty, it's taken this long because my insurance company has fought covering everything from the initial lung CT scan, the sleep study, the titration visit, and then the more expensive c-pap machine. Both my pulmonary doctor and sleep doctor have commented on how difficult the insurance company has been with this issue. Now that the end is here, waiting 4 more days seems like cruel and unusual punishment. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

I agree that rinsing off largely makes it safe, but on the other hand, bubble bath doesn’t need to be pasteurized and refrigerated, and it doesn’t turn into yogurt, and Amy would be less likely to end up drinking cranberry juice. 

I have Dr. Jennifer Gunter's new book The Vagina Bible at home.  I will have to consult it to see what she says about a milk bath.  I do know that harsh sulfates and baking soda are not great for some women's lady parts, so I'm sure milk is the same way.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Nysha said:

@latetotheparty, it's taken this long because my insurance company has fought covering everything from the initial lung CT scan, the sleep study, the titration visit, and then the more expensive c-pap machine. Both my pulmonary doctor and sleep doctor have commented on how difficult the insurance company has been with this issue. Now that the end is here, waiting 4 more days seems like cruel and unusual punishment. 

Why am I not surprised? I hate insurance companies. 

• Love 5

So this happened tonight. Hubby and I go to a seafood buffet pretty much every Thursday night. We love the food but we also go to see two other couples that we have become friends with. We check with each other to make sure we are all going. If not, sometimes we skip it. We actually call our large table the crazy corner. Anyway, tonight the owner, who usually sits with us when we are there, got a call from someone wanting to have the use of the back room exclusively. Now, this isn't the biggest restaurant in the world. There is a large front space and the smaller back room where we always sit. This person said there would be "A-listers" who did not want to be bothered. Of course when we heard this we all said we weren't moving. This place doesn't have any private rooms and we were aware that several fairly well known people had eaten there without demanding that the owner shut down almost half of his restaurant for them. A couple in our group had actually worked on several movies in New Orleans. So we all sat right there at our table and awaited the "A-listers". We were expecting a limo but the waitress said they all arrived in regular old cars,  none of which cost as much as mine. Not a brag, just an observation.  Not one of us recognized anyone in the party. We were all dressed better than they were, and we were dressed casually. Several of them apparently don't own combs or brushes. Also, these "A-listers" were ridiculously excited to see the lobsters on the buffet.  The only problem was there weren't any lobsters on the buffet, they were crabs. They also requested separate checks, twelve separate checks. Seems to me an "A-lister" could spring for a few buffets. Anyway, after hearing that these people were worried about being bothered by fans, I was disappointed to find that there was no one to bother, not that I would have. Hell, I've seen more stars walking around New Orleans, with all the movies and tv shows that are shot there. Anyway, I just thought it was ridiculous. Have a great night. 

• LOL 14
  • Love 4

Hello, Prayer Closet people !

Loooong time lurker here - all the way back to TWoP & then Previously TV, and now here, and finally taking the plunge ☺️

I can't remember a time in my life when the Duggars weren't a constant staple for disgust, but it's nice to see that there's still a strong community here based on something other than how much we'd all like to knock some sense into their heads...

Anyway, I recognize some names from long ago, and I'm glad I finally found you !

• Love 22

I'm sorry that I don't know how to reply to you directly, Galaxychaser, but thank you !

This seems like a very nice, welcoming place, and we can all harp on The Shruggers - that's what I call them - on the other threads to our heart's content.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, DecafPlease said:

I'm sorry that I don't know how to reply to you directly, Galaxychaser, but thank you !

This seems like a very nice, welcoming place, and we can all harp on The Shruggers - that's what I call them - on the other threads to our heart's content.

Welcome! 🙂

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, DecafPlease said:

Thank you, Zella !

I've been reading pages and pages to get caught up, but mostly what I get is that you guys are a tight crew, and Jill needs a new bra 😝

😂🤣😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, DecafPlease said:

Thank you, Zella !

I've been reading pages and pages to get caught up, but mostly what I get is that you guys are a tight crew, and Jill needs a new bra 😝

And we ALWAYS have extra drinks and snacks in the Prayer Closet!

• Love 6
11 hours ago, DecafPlease said:

Hello, Prayer Closet people !

Loooong time lurker here - all the way back to TWoP & then Previously TV, and now here, and finally taking the plunge ☺️

Anyway, I recognize some names from long ago, and I'm glad I finally found you !

Welcome to the insanity! I think you'll find the snark is more entertaining than the show itself.

Random aside, I just read that Suzanne Whang from House Hunters passed away. I knew she'd been sick for a while, but it's still so tragic. I always liked her. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Welcome to the insanity! I think you'll find the snark is more entertaining than the show itself.

Random aside, I just read that Suzanne Whang from House Hunters passed away. I knew she'd been sick for a while, but it's still so tragic. I always liked her. 

I really liked her as well.  Sad!  

Welcome @DecafPlease!

Side note:  I don't know if others have a difficult time finding flats that are comfortable but I always have problems with blisters etc.  *I am not a royal watcher* but I saw something briefly about Markle wearing some flats while pregnant and they looked cute so I googled them.  The name is Birdies.  MAN!  They are sooo comfy!  Not cheap ($95-$120), but you can get a $10% discount when you 1st order and they will also give you another $10% when you email them and tell them you love them.  I have had zero blisters from breaking them in (really no break in period).  The only issue I have is if you like a pair, you may want to just get them.  They had a pair of slides I wanted and waited a few days too long.  Now they are unavailable and won't be making them again.  ARGH!  So I bought my second choice which are also cool.  Anyway, I rarely plug a brand but wanted to let other shoe challenged folks these are wonderful.  I do not work for the company!

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
On 9/19/2019 at 1:55 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

I have Dr. Jennifer Gunter's new book The Vagina Bible at home.  I will have to consult it to see what she says about a milk bath.  I do know that harsh sulfates and baking soda are not great for some women's lady parts, so I'm sure milk is the same way.

I LOVE her!  She is someone good to follow on twitter

• Love 1

DecafPlease, welcome! 

Natalie68, I'm going to have to check those out. The backs of my heels are stupidly sensitive and I get blisters from everything. I'm being stalked by Rothys ads right now but I tried on my cousin's pair and they had no arch support at all and I could feel every pebble on the ground. I might as well have been walking around in thick socks. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Oh no!  Really?  I'm sorry to hear that.  I"m a big HH fan!

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, emma675 said:

DecafPlease, welcome! 

Natalie68, I'm going to have to check those out. The backs of my heels are stupidly sensitive and I get blisters from everything. I'm being stalked by Rothys ads right now but I tried on my cousin's pair and they had no arch support at all and I could feel every pebble on the ground. I might as well have been walking around in thick socks. 

I am one of those people that always has moleskin and bandaids with me for shoes that try and eat my feet (heels are always super sensitive and bleed).  These have pretty good arch support and actually feel like slippers.  I want SOOOO many more pairs.  They are taunting me with their new colors.  I have the black Heron and I am waiting for the Phoebe slides.  The black Raven is what sold out except for large sizes.  They arrive pretty quickly which is nice.  GOOD LUCK!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

DecafPlease, welcome! 

Emma675, do you listen to podcasts?  The Rothys sponsors many of my favorite podcasts.  Of course the podcasters get them for free, but the cost is a bit high for me.  

Anyway, I'm glad to know what you thought of them.  Those are the same issues I have with most flats.

Edited by BetyBee
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

I am one of those people that always has moleskin and bandaids with me for shoes that try and eat my feet (heels are always super sensitive and bleed).  These have pretty good arch support and actually feel like slippers.  I want SOOOO many more pairs.  They are taunting me with their new colors.  I have the black Heron and I am waiting for the Phoebe slides.  The black Raven is what sold out except for large sizes.  They arrive pretty quickly which is nice.  GOOD LUCK!

Do they run big? I have wide feet and can’t fit in most women’s shoes. Payless was good for me because I could try shoes on. 

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Do they run big? I have wide feet and can’t fit in most women’s shoes. Payless was good for me because I could try shoes on. 

You and me both! I wear men's shoes more often than not since I don't have to buy wide brands in them. 

• Love 3

Welcome @DecafPlease  I hope you enjoy posting here.  I'm tried a handful of groups on the board, and this clan is the best.  The Duggars did something right in bringing us all together.  If you need a good laugh or a shoulder to cry on, please don't hesitate to post.  We are all over the US, and you may already know someone!

I was wondering if I could borrow @doodlebug expertise for a second.  I'm getting over my cold, and I'm feeling about 75% better.  I'm still coughing, sore throat is completely gone, and I'm still dealing with some stuffiness.  I was finally able to semi-pop my ears this evening after helping Mr. Six wash the new car.  We have the family party tomorrow in another state, roughly 3 hour drive for us.  I just want to make sure I'm no longer contagious.  There will be children, but I want to say the youngest is roughly 8-10.   I've been a part of his family for 23+ years, and I don't want to be known as the one who gave grandma the cold that killed her.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Emma675, do you listen to podcasts?  The Rothys sponsors many of my favorite podcasts.  Of course the podcasters get them for free, but the cost is a bit high for me.  

Anyway, I'm glad to know what you thought of them.  Those are the same issues I have with most flats.

I have a pair of Rothy's that I think are very cute, basically comfy, and the machine washable thing is cool. However, one of them--only one--chews on my heel. And I had to go up like 1.5 sizes to get them to fit. I still have hope of maybe putting a cushion in the heel of the mean one and not getting chewed. We shall see.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Hey friends! It’s been a crazy time between vacation and coming back to tons at work. 

I thought this would make those on this board chuckle- my Mom has been getting know M better (my sister’s new caregiver). This week she learned that M’s father who just passed away this summer was one of SEVENTEEN children (yes all full siblings). M is only in her late 30s but her Dad was in his 80s, he only had 2 children after growing up in a mega family. 🤣

• Love 7

Let me say if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all. Early in the summer I lost my house in a fire. I didn't tell you all that because we had a lot of people who had worse things happening.  Yesterday me and the boys left the hotel were the insurance company put us up at and moved into a rental.  About a hour ago we had an electrical fire in the attic.  Well back to the hotel we go. In better news Teentron got his first job working as a bus boy in a restaurant. 

Edited by Rabbittron
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Rabbittron said:

Let me say if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all. Early in the summer I lost my house in a fire. I didn't tell you all that because we had a lot of people who ha worse things happening.  Yesterday me and the boys left the hotel were the insurance company put us up at and moved into a rental.  About a hour ago we had an electrical fire in the attic.  Well back to the hotel we go. In better news Teentron got his first job working as a bus boy in a restaurant. 

I am so sorry to hear that. How is boytron doing?

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

Let me say if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all. Early in the summer I lost my house in a fire. I didn't tell you all that because we had a lot of people who had worse things happening.  Yesterday me and the boys left the hotel were the insurance company put us up at and moved into a rental.  About a hour ago we had an electrical fire in the attic.  Well back to the hotel we go. In better news Teentron got his first job working as a bus boy in a restaurant. 

I'm so sorry! That really sucks. 

• Love 5

I've recently started using skin & hair care products that contain goats milk & can't say enough (good) about them. I have noticed a big difference in the  softness of my skin & hair.  I had several  dry patches on my face that cleared up quickly after using  their facial wipes a few times.  The company is called Beekmans 1802. They have their own site as well as peddle their goods on HSN & QVC.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, sixlets said:

I was wondering if I could borrow @doodlebug expertise for a second.  I'm getting over my cold, and I'm feeling about 75% better.  I'm still coughing, sore throat is completely gone, and I'm still dealing with some stuffiness.  I was finally able to semi-pop my ears this evening after helping Mr. Six wash the new car.  We have the family party tomorrow in another state, roughly 3 hour drive for us.  I just want to make sure I'm no longer contagious.  There will be children, but I want to say the youngest is roughly 8-10.   I've been a part of his family for 23+ years, and I don't want to be known as the one who gave grandma the cold that killed her.

Colds are contagious starting about 24 hours before you get sick and for the first 5 days or so.  So, if you’ve been sick for longer than 5 days, you’re golden.  

Take some Purell and encourage everyone to use it before holding the babies or hugging Grandma.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
24 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

Good morning, everyone!  Is anyone else going to see the Downton Abbey movie this weekend?

So sorry about the fire, Rabbittron!  But yay (as Jill would say) for boytron for getting a job.  

I saw it yesterday. Took my mind off my very sick son for two hours. Very satisfying movie. If you are a Downton abbey fan I highly recommend. 

• Love 11
On 9/16/2019 at 4:34 AM, GeeGolly said:

This generation has formal photo shoots of about every event known to man. Back in the day it was only senior pictures and weddings.

In fairness, about a quarter of our peers who stay home with their kids also have their own small photography business on the side during those years. So. Many. Of. Them.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I've recently started using skin & hair care products that contain goats milk & can't say enough (good) about them. I have noticed a big difference in the  softness of my skin & hair.  I had several  dry patches on my face that cleared up quickly after using  their facial wipes a few times.  The company is called Beekmans 1802. They have their own site as well as peddle their goods on HSN & QVC.  

I use the beekman 1820 body soap it is wonderful.

• Love 2