Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I've recently started using skin & hair care products that contain goats milk & can't say enough (good) about them. I have noticed a big difference in the  softness of my skin & hair.  I had several  dry patches on my face that cleared up quickly after using  their facial wipes a few times.  The company is called Beekmans 1802. They have their own site as well as peddle their goods on HSN & QVC.  

I adore Beekman! I haven't tried their shampoo, but I love their soaps and creams.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I saw it yesterday. Took my mind off my very sick son for two hours. Very satisfying movie. If you are a Downton abbey fan I highly recommend. 

Thank you, Lookeyloo.  I'm looking forward to it!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Good morning, everyone!  Is anyone else going to see the Downton Abbey movie this weekend?

So sorry about the fire, Rabbittron!  But yay (as Jill would say) for boytron for getting a job.  

I never seen the show. But I want to see the movie. Looks nice.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I use the beekman 1820 body soap it is wonderful.

3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I adore Beekman! I haven't tried their shampoo, but I love their soaps and creams.

"Hi Neighbors"

I started with one of their combo packs of wipes, bar soap, body lotion &lip balm and haven't looked back.  It's great they use natural ingredients besides the goat milk. I love the Beekman Boys' story & feel like I'm supporting a USA small business owner even though they are growing. 

It took me awhile to order the shampoo & conditioner combo because of the price. But I splurged & got them & glad I did. I noticed a difference right away. It may be that it's just a better shampoo/conditioner (my hair is used to getting the el cheapo Suave stuff) but it was so soft after just the first time. My home health aide helped me wash my hair my with it yesterday.  She kept saying over & over how soft my  hair felt & this was when it was wet & she was just shampooing it.  Both are on the the thick side & I heard one of the Beekman boys say the future orders will include pumps.

I also love the facial wipes but use them all over since I'm mostly in my wheelchair. Very refreshing.

Some scents are stronger than others but they don't overpower.

I also use their Happy Place wipes around the house & love I can use them anywhere since they are all natural.

They do smaller deals & combos on HSN & QVC (sometimes with free shipping) so you can try something without having to buy a large size. They sell other stuff besides skin care on their own site but i haven't tried them yet.  They bring some of their baby goats with them when they are on TV & are so cute to watch. I think they have a live feed of the goats on their site & it seems like their goats are treated royally. 

Ok, I'll stop now but I could go on and on. Maybe the Beekman Boys should hire me. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
18 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Do they run big? I have wide feet and can’t fit in most women’s shoes. Payless was good for me because I could try shoes on. 

I think the sizing is accurate.  I read on the website returns are easy.  I just checked and they say they run true to size but if your foot is wide to go up 1/2 size.  I now want the olive Heron.  I gotta stay away!  The Fall colors of the Starling are calling me.  Like I can afford more.  HA!

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

Let me say if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all. Early in the summer I lost my house in a fire. I didn't tell you all that because we had a lot of people who had worse things happening.  Yesterday me and the boys left the hotel were the insurance company put us up at and moved into a rental.  About a hour ago we had an electrical fire in the attic.  Well back to the hotel we go. In better news Teentron got his first job working as a bus boy in a restaurant. 

Holy shit!  I am so sorry!  Don't ever feel you can't share because you think someone may have it worse.  This is pretty effing huge!  HUGS!

• Love 13

Rabbittron-I am so sorry for your loss.  Your family will be in my thoughts.  

Doodlebug-thanks so much for the reply.  I got sick Monday, so I'm crossing my fingers.  Thankfully, there were no babies, and I tried to keep my distance as much as possible.  It was a long day, but I'm glad we went.  Thanks again!

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Holy shit!  I am so sorry!  Don't ever feel you can't share because you think someone may have it worse.  This is pretty effing huge!  HUGS!

I'll second this! I'm probably a real pain about sharing minor crap that no one cares about, but what some of you here have been having to deal with is horrific, and having an ear is so important sometimes. I think most of us here really enjoy hearing the good news about each others' lives, and are more than ready to lend a shoulder to cry on when things get rough. It's part of what has made this forum a bit of a virtual family. We care. Honestly.

• Love 16

And speaking of minor crap that no one cares about, here's one which has me sobbing my eyes out...One of my cousins in England is selling her house, which I absolutely adore beyond words...I was planning on going back to England for a visit in March, but I suppose there's every chance it will sell by then. Honestly, I'd buy it in a heartbeat if there was any way to justify and/or work it. There would be ways to make it doable, but trying to insist on something like that would be the ultimate in nonsensical moves....I just want to get to see it again, though...Don't know if this link will work, and I don't know that photos will do justice to how special it is, but here goes nothing,,,

https://www.haushomes.co.uk/properties-for-sale/property/9848297-storrs-hall-road-walkley-sheffield?fbclid=IwAR3MNCgAJUC6ZTyob2fW-Gze7-VQQXzIwNUSjkZd93aY4qN159KX1myLpJI

• Love 14
25 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

And speaking of minor crap that no one cares about, here's one which has me sobbing my eyes out...One of my cousins in England is selling her house, which I absolutely adore beyond words...I was planning on going back to England for a visit in March, but I suppose there's every chance it will sell by then. Honestly, I'd buy it in a heartbeat if there was any way to justify and/or work it. There would be ways to make it doable, but trying to insist on something like that would be the ultimate in nonsensical moves....I just want to get to see it again, though...Don't know if this link will work, and I don't know that photos will do justice to how special it is, but here goes nothing,,,

https://www.haushomes.co.uk/properties-for-sale/property/9848297-storrs-hall-road-walkley-sheffield?fbclid=IwAR3MNCgAJUC6ZTyob2fW-Gze7-VQQXzIwNUSjkZd93aY4qN159KX1myLpJI

What a beautiful home. I would cry also.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Good morning, everyone!  Is anyone else going to see the Downton Abbey movie this weekend?

just walked in the door from seeing it. loved it!!!!  i told my husband it was like visiting friends. in fact, it felt like it picked up exactly where it left off, as if i had just seen an episode last week.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I never seen the show. But I want to see the movie. Looks nice.

@galaxychaser, if you like the movie, you will have great fun catching up on the series!

@Jynnan tonnix, I sure hope you get to visit the beautiful home in England before it sells. It is really special.

Edited by Love2dance
Clarity, since they combined both posts
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, zoomama said:

just walked in the door from seeing it. loved it!!!!  i told my husband it was like visiting friends. in fact, it felt like it picked up exactly where it left off, as if i had just seen an episode last week.

Same!  I like that it hasn't been too long and everyone looked pretty much the same.  That helped contribute to the feeling of picking up where we left off.  If anyone goes, don't walk past the theater employee handing out little gold thingies, like I did 🙁 They were apparently giving away gold wrapped little snow globes.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

This is absolutely adorable!  I don't blame you!

• Love 4

Sassy Pants and her little brother have been with me overnight.  We were on the back porch and the kids were making us “dinner”.  We were having salads and spaghetti.  (Made from leaves, sticks and other assorted yummy yard items.  Looks delish!)

so she’s telling me what’s on my salad, naming off the ingredients, and I said “where’s the ranch?”   

She struck this pose and says “Oh.  It’s COMING”.  

The tone!   Not at all like “oh, my bad, I forgot!”  Noooo.  Almost a threat.  “Oh, it’s COMING all right, but you KNOW I spit it in it first!!!”

CAF8D1B6-2E34-4CA4-B5F9-22E73504E6F9.jpeg

• LOL 14
  • Love 5
55 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

The tone!   Not at all like “oh, my bad, I forgot!”  Noooo.  Almost a threat.  “Oh, it’s COMING all right, but you KNOW I spit it in it first!!!”

Sassy Pants’ pose made my day!”

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

Sassy Pants and her little brother have been with me overnight.  We were on the back porch and the kids were making us “dinner”.  We were having salads and spaghetti.  (Made from leaves, sticks and other assorted yummy yard items.  Looks delish!)

so she’s telling me what’s on my salad, naming off the ingredients, and I said “where’s the ranch?”   

Is she making you mud pies for dessert?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

UGH! I need to whine for a minute. I’m traveling for work and am now stuck in my hotel room with a very upset tummy (yes, I’m a baby). I have no meds and no one to get them for me. I kind of wish I would just get sick so I would start to feel a little better, but I have a very strong no-barf reflex. I can’t even appreciate the giant king-size bed right now. The one time I don’t pack pepto pills! 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

UGH! I need to whine for a minute. I’m traveling for work and am now stuck in my hotel room with a very upset tummy (yes, I’m a baby). I have no meds and no one to get them for me. I kind of wish I would just get sick so I would start to feel a little better, but I have a very strong no-barf reflex. I can’t even appreciate the giant king-size bed right now. The one time I don’t pack pepto pills! 

I'm sorry to hear that.  I travel with a mini-pharmacy to try to prevent this.  I will say that a good hotel will help you out if you call the front desk.  If pepto will work, call and ask if someone can bring you some.  Many hotels will oblige.

• Love 10

Thanks, everyone! I feel much better this morning. The hotel front desk didn’t have anything for an upset stomach. First thing this morning I went to the CVS and stocked up on digestive remedies and got some ginger ale. Now I’m enjoying a steamed milk with a little vanilla and some cinnamon from the Starbucks in the lobby. It’s very soothing.

This is the only time I’ve traveled in the last few years without carrying a pharmacy in my bag. So of course this is the one time I need it. 

• Love 13

@MargeGunderson I'm glad you're better. I was kind of smiling at the suggestions about calling the hotel desk. They are correct and I'd do that if I were ill and needed some OTC meds. 

But it reminded me of one of my favorite lines ever from a travel discussion forum. Someone had posted questions about public transit options from their hotel in a big city in Europe, or something logistical like that. One of the replies suggested that the OP could ask the hotel concierge for help. The OP replied with this classic:

Concierge? My friend, at the kind of hotels where I stay, the closest there is to a concierge is my saying "Okay, Google" into my phone and hoping for the best.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I'm sorry to hear that.  I travel with a mini-pharmacy to try to prevent this.  I will say that a good hotel will help you out if you call the front desk.  If pepto will work, call and ask if someone can bring you some.  Many hotels will oblige.

My daughter was sick last week in the hotel, poor thing. First she got the back to school cold which didn't manifest until day 2, so we took it easy. But later on in the week she ate imitation krab for the first time and I'm pretty sure that's why she was sick later that night. However, I had brought ibuprofen, allergy med, Pepto, Lactaid and various band-aids in a pseudo medical bag knowing how much hotels charge for that stuff. (I also brought a room spray and Poopourri because I know my tummy would not be good with theme park food) Sadly, she took the Pepto just to make herself vomit. She was feeling better by morning, at least. 

Just now, MargeGunderson said:

This is the only time I’ve traveled in the last few years without carrying a pharmacy in my bag. So of course this is the one time I need it. 

It's like when I tell my kids to bring their umbrellas to school. If they don't bring it, it will rain. If they do bring it, it won't rain. It's the universe giggling at us.

• Love 7

@Jeeves, ha ha! That was definitely me until my early thirties. But I’m traveling for work so I’m staying at a nice hotel. I think though it’s more like a boutique hotel, and I’ve found while they look nice (and are $$) they sometimes don’t have amenities that a Marriot would have, for example. Like no little store in the lobby where I can by ginger ale. 

• Love 5

My son worked front desk at a small Best Western & they were very accommodating to their guests, many who were traveling for work.  I could see one of them running out to a CVS & picking up OTC meds for a sick guest.   Many of the guests reciprocated their kindness & would ask them if they wanted anything if the guest was going to get fast food. Sometimes guests would just be nice & bring them back candy bars without being asked.  

@MargeGunderson Glad you're feeling better this morning.   Ginger ale is my mother's cure all for everything. 

• Love 8

I have always found hotel staff very accommodating as long as you are polite.  @Jeeves that story made me laugh.  I usually don't stay in any place fancy enough to have a concierge, but I always ask the front desk for their recommendations on getting around and food.  They are local and don't have any financial reason to steer you to the tourist traps.  I was in NYC for work twice in the same year.  I was out in Brooklyn for the first trip and the Upper East Side for the second.  Both times I asked the staff where I could go to get a good slice of pizza.  Both times I received a blank stare and "what kind?"  Both times the answer was actually the closest place to get a slice.  It took everything I could not to give a smart answer back to the "what kind."  I am in NYC, I don't want Papa Johns or Dominos, I want the perfect NYC style cheese slice that I have to fold up.  I did not think this was a difficult question.

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I have always found hotel staff very accommodating as long as you are polite.  @Jeeves that story made me laugh.  I usually don't stay in any place fancy enough to have a concierge, but I always ask the front desk for their recommendations on getting around and food.  They are local and don't have any financial reason to steer you to the tourist traps.  I was in NYC for work twice in the same year.  I was out in Brooklyn for the first trip and the Upper East Side for the second.  Both times I asked the staff where I could go to get a good slice of pizza.  Both times I received a blank stare and "what kind?"  Both times the answer was actually the closest place to get a slice.  It took everything I could not to give a smart answer back to the "what kind."  I am in NYC, I don't want Papa Johns or Dominos, I want the perfect NYC style cheese slice that I have to fold up.  I did not think this was a difficult question.

I live in NY and the best pizza is the $1 slices. Yum yum.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Fascinating! I think it’s true that it’s an adult pretending to be a child.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7479061/Mom-claims-Ukrainian-daughter-9-adopted-really-22-year-old-dwarfism.html

Gosh that was hard to read. Not necessarily because of the story itself...although this has to be horrific for the parents that adopted the young woman, but because the ads popping up kept me from being able to read it easily. 

• Love 3

Bitter Apple: As unlikely as it seems, lol, I remember when the Daily Mail was a decent, proper actual newspaper!! (yep,lol,  it was a loonnng time ago!)

Edited by pinkie
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Local story here. It’s a miracle she is okay. I don’t understand how a parent can kill their baby. I just don’t.

https://people.com/crime/new-york-city-man-dies-after-jumping-in-front-of-subway-train-while-holding-5-year-old-daughter/

Saw this on the national news.  God bless the commuters who jumped onto the tracks and got the little girl to safety and shielded her from seeing her father's body.  And I expect God will have a few words with those whose first response was to whip out their cell phones and film the tragedy.  I also heard that one of the guys who jumped onto the tracks left his bag on the platform and someone absconded with it.  God's got a special place for people like that.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Saw this on the national news.  God bless the commuters who jumped onto the tracks and got the little girl to safety and shielded her from seeing her father's body.  And I expect God will have a few words with those whose first response was to whip out their cell phones and film the tragedy.  I also heard that one of the guys who jumped onto the tracks left his bag on the platform and someone absconded with it.  God's got a special place for people like that.

The amazing goodness, and utter evilness of humans, wrapped up in one incident. 

• Love 7