Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Hi all!  (More appropriately “hey y’all!”).  

Since I work from home, I rarely wear makeup because nowadays if I do, one of my grandkids is going to say “where’re you going?” or my husband is going to say (after a soul searching pause) “are we going somewhere?”.   I have striking eyes (it’s a family trait, I just got lucky - thanks daddy!) and I do like to light them up when I go out.  I’m a total fraud, I wear makeup on vacation or if I’m running errands all day for people I won’t ever have further contact with, but go naked face for my loved ones.  [Because somewhere along the way in a day full of strangers, someone is going to say “Wow, you have beautiful eyes!”  Would I get that at home, even if I made them up?  Heck no!  Fraud, fraud, fraud!!!!]

And I’m going to admit (for the record) I LOVE CFA.  Not for any kind of statement, I absolutely SUCK at protesting or boycotting products, although I seriously admire those who do.  I’ll say this, there are 2 in my immediate area about equal distance, and they rock with customer service.  One of them has only been open 10 years or so, but from the get-go has been much busier than expected.  They remodeled just to accommodate and move the drive-thru more quickly, as they realized drive-thru was a huge income source.  This resulted in far more traffic, so they remodeled again.  It is an incredibly busy location, and I’ve never waited any longer than if I were the only customer.  I’m not advocating or advertising except to say I think all drive thru restaurants ought to use their business model.  [Full disclosure - this may actually be location manager driven because the other location hasn’t quite met their efficiency].  I apologize for loving hate chicken.  I also love their hate lemonade.   I don’t love their hate fries, does that count?

I’m all for gassing up the stink bus (remember when we used to talk about that?) and heading out see @Westiepeach‘s new kitchen and smell some puppy breath.  Plus, she’ll feed us!  Who’s in?  

@doodlebug, who does that thing with the eyebrows?  I mean to say, where do you go to have that done?  I went from having invisible blond eyebrows/lashes to having invisible silver ones.  I never had “good” eyebrows, sketchy on my best days.  Now I look like someone photoshopped them out.  They’re up there, I FEEL them.  Sparse but there.   I could SO do that 60’s-early 70’s thing when ladies plucked them ALL and drew a line up there.  I would also like to have my eyelashes tinted.  Where does THAT happen?  Anyone?

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Zella said:

I don't wear makeup either. I am really sensitive to products--still will never forget the allergic reaction I had to freaking Oil of Olay moisturizer a few years ago--so I use a mixture of Cetaphil cleanser and Burts Bees products (but only from the sensitive or acne lines because some of their products cause reactions for me, too).  I can wear lipstick but very rarely do. 

I was intrigued by someone on here mentioning The Ordinary. Someone literally recommended that line to me on another website last week, so I will have to give their stuff a try. Here's hoping I don't have a reaction. LOL

I like all of the products I have tried from The Ordinary.   They are single ingredient products which allows me to mix and match depending on how my skin is behaving.  Ulta now carries them both online and in stores.  They also have a good return policy if the product causes a reaction. 

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

@doodlebug, who does that thing with the eyebrows?  I mean to say, where do you go to have that done?  I went from having invisible blond eyebrows/lashes to having invisible silver ones.  I never had “good” eyebrows, sketchy on my best days.  Now I look like someone photoshopped them out.  They’re up there, I FEEL them.  Sparse but there.   I could SO do that 60’s-early 70’s thing when ladies plucked them ALL and drew a line up there.  I would also like to have my eyelashes tinted.  Where does THAT happen?  Anyone?

I got it done at a local salon.  The woman who does mine is a licensed cosmetologist and has certificates for her training on the wall.  She came recommended by a friend.  You can google 'microblading' and I'm sure you'll get several hits in your area.  Probably about half of the fancier salons near me have eyebrow technicians that do it.  Often, techs who do brow shaping or threading have branched out into this area. 

I went in for a visit to talk about it first.  She had a large portfolio of before and afters.  She asked what I was looking for; apparently a lot of young people want something really exaggerated and dark; I wanted to look as natural as possible.  She had had her own brows done, by someone else, of course, and they are really nice and very natural so I felt pretty confident that she understood what I wanted.  She also reviewed the potential risks, the expected amount of time, the amount of follow up and how long it should last.  She even told me that although a lot of online sites say it lasts up to 3 years, it is more realistic to expect to need a re-do/major touch up in a year and a half or two years.  She also gave me a price list that laid out exactly what all the potential costs were and when payment was expected.  That's what sold me, she was honest and professional in her approach to the service.  She also turned out to love dogs and baseball, so we're bonded for life.

• Love 7
On 9/6/2019 at 7:18 PM, galaxychaser said:

I’m getting called sir now 🤣

But I love my short hair.

It comes with the territory. I keep my hair short and I get sir'd all the damn time. I get it in the winter when I'm wearing a bulkier coat, but it's hard to hide my boobs in the summer, and apparently short hair overrides boobs. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

Here's the new baby! We will pick him up on Friday!

Image-1.jpg

OMG!  He is adorable! 

I'm in the process of looking for a smaller dog after losing one of my girls to cancer in April.  My current princess is a Bernese Mountain/Rottweiler mix and weighs just north of 100 lbs.  I want a dog that I can handle without risk of dislocating my shoulder should he/she decide to pull on the leash.  My Maggie just wants a brother or a sister because she is lonely.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, questionfear said:

It comes with the territory. I keep my hair short and I get sir'd all the damn time. I get it in the winter when I'm wearing a bulkier coat, but it's hard to hide my boobs in the summer, and apparently short hair overrides boobs. 

I got a huge rack and still get mistaken for a boy

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

OMG!  He is adorable! 

I'm in the process of looking for a smaller dog after losing one of my girls to cancer in April.  My current princess is a Bernese Mountain/Rottweiler mix and weighs just north of 100 lbs.  I want a dog that I can handle without risk of dislocating my shoulder should he/she decide to pull on the leash.  My Maggie just wants a brother or a sister because she is lonely.

Baby Puppy will end up to be about 17 pounds. 

52 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

How adorable! Love that little puppy face. Does he have a name yet?

No name yet. Still brainstorming!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, jcbrown said:

What a cutie! My husband would like to get a dog. I have to talk to my allergist. And the cats.

Westies don’t shed. Seriously, I have worn all black clothes, had one on my lap, and no white hairs on me. He is my third, and nobody has shed. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

I don't post often here, but I came by to see if anyone else was having issues with the "reply to this topic" button which disappeared for a little while this morning.  I ended up having to scroll to the top of the page to post. Seems ok now though.  

Anyhow @Westiepeach, I saw the picture of your new puppy and oh, he is so cute! I had a Westie named Buddy and we lost him in June.  Tomorrow would have been his 16th birthday.  I have been really distracted this summer with bathroom renovations, trips to see family, and having family visit me so it was really only this week that I have been alone and I miss him all over again.  Enjoy your new little guy!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

Westies don’t shed. Seriously, I have worn all black clothes, had one on my lap, and no white hairs on me. He is my third, and nobody has shed. 

They do seem to be pretty popular. I have a number of friends (of various degrees of closeness, but mostly we just keep track of each other on Facebook anymore) who have Westies and love them. They seem to be addictive - I don't think I know anyone who has settled on having just one of them. Some got two right off, and others have added more to the family. Cute little dogs! I've always stayed away from getting terriers in general because of their reputation for stubbornness and high energy level, but maybe Westies are a bit more easy-going?

My Papillion is starting to get up in years, and I'd like to get another dog eventually, but probably not until he is gone as he's starting to get a bit unreliable in his potty training after being completely trustworthy for years. I can't see training a puppy, or even keeping tabs on a new adult dog right now. Plus my mom will probably be moving in with us soon, and a new dog will not fit into that mix either...Not sure what I'd like to get. Probably not another small dog as Mr Jyn has never been a fan. I'd like a golden retriever, but not sure I want to go quite that big. Maybe some variety of spaniel. Or a mutt of some description.

• Love 1

@Jynnan tonnix, I’m a huge spaniel fan.  My Ollie-baby is a cocker.  Cockers aren’t shedders, their hair feels just different than regular dog fur.  Very soft.  You’d think they’d leave a Pigpen type puff cloud everywhere they go, but they don’t.  Ollie is my 3rd cocker over the years.  I think spaniels generally fall into one of 2 categories.  1) Really really smart (Timmy’s in the well! Smart)  or 2) (which-way-did-he-go-George?). Not so smart.   But it doesn’t seem to matter which end of the spectrum, they are amazingly loyal.  Easy to train, eager to please.  High energy (dang high!).  Ollie was the runt of his litter, and he weighs 20-21 lbs.  He’s on the smallish side for a cocker.  And that’s the kicker - he’s nosy and high energy, so has a habit of being under my feet a lot - curious.  The older I get, the less I love the “in my space” thing.  But I do love my baby. 

@Westiepeach, that is the cutest dog!  You must be so stinkin excited!!  

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

The cop who reported that the severed organ had been located and taken to the hospital to be reunited with it's original owner is named MAJOR WANK????  You cannot make this stuff up!!

This story reminds me why I drive thru Newport on my way to the beach and never stop.   The hospital he was taken to is in my town.  I did not know that they could perform this type of surgery there.  It's a teaching hospital so some surgical residents got an education today.

• Love 1

Segueing off the makeup discussion, does anyone else have problems with easy bruising/thin skin on their arms? One night last week, just turning over in bed sloughed off three patches of skin on my left arm. It looks like I battled a wildcat or worse. It has gotten worse in the last year, but I persist in believing that there is an antidote. Recently I was told to put banana peels on the bruises .... that didn't help. I just bought a dozen arm protectors in different colors, but I would rather find a way to heal up than hide the problem.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Porkchop said:

Segueing off the makeup discussion, does anyone else have problems with easy bruising/thin skin on their arms? One night last week, just turning over in bed sloughed off three patches of skin on my left arm. It looks like I battled a wildcat or worse. It has gotten worse in the last year, but I persist in believing that there is an antidote. Recently I was told to put banana peels on the bruises .... that didn't help. I just bought a dozen arm protectors in different colors, but I would rather find a way to heal up than hide the problem.

Yes me. My friends around my age have same problem. We think it is because of aging. Don’t know if that is why you have it. Sometimes I don’t even remember what my arm touched to look like that. 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Yes me. My friends around my age have same problem. We think it is because of aging. Don’t know if that is why you have it. Sometimes I don’t even remember what my arm touched to look like that. 

Add me to the club.  My arms sometimes look like I've been in a fight, when all I did was bump a shelf in the kitchen.  My arms were a mess after I cleaned my garage.  Sometimes I have no idea what I bumped.  I would love to find a solution.

• Love 3

Has anyone else been getting a black box that says something about some template box throwing an error?  I can't get to any forum when this happens.  It started last night, and everything seemed ok today, but it just did it briefly just now.  Anyone know what's going on?

@Porkchop, pretty sure we’re stuck with that and it gets worse over time.  When my mom was still with me, my big dog gently put his paw on her arm once, asking to be loved.  I spoke sharply at him, and he removed his paw... and left 3 ghostly-beast marks across her skin.  Most certainly he never meant to harm her.  Aging skin is so delicate. Did you eat the bananas?  That’s probably more helpful than putting those sticky skins on your arms.  I vote you at least wear the arm protectors at night.  I’m sure some medications (besides actual blood thinners) can make you bruise easily too.

@doodlebug, what is there to do about this?  Not your expertise, I know, but what do you think?  Do the skin/nails supplements help?  I fear - what with my lifelong partnership with clumsiness, the natural aging process, and my tendency to have a small critter in my path, my family may all be jailed one day for elderly abuse.  FYI, I so refer to you as Dr. Doodle in my head.  

I’m so glad we moved on from art.  I ❤️ Art, but never “studied” it.  I love the Dutch masters some of you posted - have loved them as favorites for years without bothering to know what I was enjoying.  But I am completely out of my element in the art world.  I did see some interesting art in Nashville last week.  The “sticks” composition that looks exactly like someone dropped an assortment of giant pixie sticks in a jar (except you can’t see the jar).  Then there’s another of several nudes dancing joyously - and I can’t remember what that was called.  I’m a real aficionado, JS.

Wait:  I came back to collect my art brownie points because I know who Christina is and I know who painted her.  Not a total fail.

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

@CalicoKitty, I got it as well. I went to the forums box in the upper right hand corner to get out of that screen and everything went back to normal.

Report in the Bugs topic. This is the first time I've seen it. 

Thanks.  I'm glad I'm not alone.  It always makes me feel better when I know I didn't mess something up!  I'll report it to the Bugs topic.

• Love 3

I had the box thing too on Monday during the time  they said they were working on  Forum maintenance or whatever they called it.  I figured it was related to this.  Haven't had it since.

I had the box thing too on Monday during the time  they said they were working on  Forum maintenance or whatever they called it.  I figured it was related to this.  Haven't had it since.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Well it’s 9/11 and I still cry every year.  Still remember that day and how outside it smelled of smoke and ash etc. NYC isn’t the same 

i cannot even begin to imagine how it was. it was certainly traumatizing watching it here on t.v.  i just wrote my annual blog post about this date - for a different reason but still...i remember it EXACTLY. i cannot fathom living there among it though.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

I’m so glad we moved on from art.  I ❤️ Art, but never “studied” it.  I love the Dutch masters some of you posted - have loved them as favorites for years without bothering to know what I was enjoying.  But I am completely out of my element in the art world.  I did see some interesting art in Nashville last week.  The “sticks” composition that looks exactly like someone dropped an assortment of giant pixie sticks in a jar (except you can’t see the jar).  Then there’s another of several nudes dancing joyously - and I can’t remember what that was called.  I’m a real aficionado, JS.

LOL...I live in Nashville, so I know exactly what traffic circles you were in last week! The nudes are called Musica. I had to look up the name for the sticks one...and it's called Stix. Go figure.

Edited by Turquoise
Because "on" and "one" are completely different words!
  • Love 3

Galaxychaser:

I remember 9/11 also. 

As I was driving to school in Brooklyn that morning, I stopped at a stop sign near the school.  As I waited for my turn, I marveled at the beautiful skyline of NYC.  Never did I think that it would be forever marred before I could go home that afternoon.  Teachers on two floors of our building could see  the buildings fall.  Scared parents came to take their children to the safety of their homes.  

I listened to the radio with headphones on so I might find out some more info.  When I heard the radio personality announce "This is  a total recall for all fire fighters (meaning that EVERY firefighter was obligated to report for duty immediately)", I knew we had been attacked.

We gathered the children who remained in the school into the classrooms by the front entrance.  I put on a video for the kindergarten students, and  served them a snack.  

A colleague and I walked some children to their aftercare center.  While we were there, I saw some of the destruction on the center's tv.  As we went back to our school,  we saw the F15s flying overhead.  It was so hard to believe that this was happening a few miles from our school..

It was so hard to believe that my friend said goodbye to her husband that morning as they got on the subway, each going to their jobs.  The next day they were supposed to close on heir first house.  She never saw him again.

I had another friend whose law offices were in the process of relocating from the east side to the World Trade Center.  I remembered that she had been travelling back and forth between both offices.  I shuddered to think that she would not be returning home to her two boys.  I was afraid to call her home.  Luckily, she was safe.

My best friend has 2 lovely daughters.  The younger one had a job interview that morning at the Windows on the World restaurant.  She did not go to the interview because the manager did not call the day before to confirm the time.  Her older daughter is an electrician, and was on her maternity leave at that time.  The last job she had before her beautiful daughter was born was at the offices of Cantor Fitzgerald.  I think about how that young lady just started college, and all of those children whose parents would not be around to see them off to college. Some of the children never even had a chance to meet their fathers and other relatives.  

A few days later I was driving on the Belt Parkway, I smelled smoke, and was wondering if there was a brush fire nearby.   I realized I was smelling the still burning WTC.

Schools in NYC were closed for a few days.  I went to pray with my church family that evening and the next day. The pews were as full as they would be for Christmas or Easter.  I watched the unending TV coverage, hoping against hope that it was all a cruel joke.  It was not.

I'm sorry for this long post.  It's hard to look at things every day and remember how it used to be.

Thanks for listening to me rant....

• Love 15

it is just a hard day for us all as Americans.  to be brief, i was in labor and delivery with my then daughter-in-law waiting on the birth of my first grandchild. what a day to be born! it is also our anniversary. so i wake up each 9/11 with so many mixed emotions.

this year its a big year - 20 years married. also my granddaughter turns 18. i have not seen her since she was 3. i have waited for her 18th birthday all these years because i can legally locate her now (i do know where she is btw..have known for a while but wanted to respect the fact that she was a minor).  i hope, one day soon, that my son will get to see her and talk to her. she has been missed and her name is mentioned in conversation regularly among the other kids and grand-kids. she has been missed and loved all this time. i just pray that her life has been good, productive and happy.

Edited by zoomama
spelling counts
  • Love 9
21 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I just caught my local news,  the 911 call was released.   She is a religious nutjob who used pruning shears to do the deed because he was fornicating.   With who she did not say.  Also the 911 operator asked if he was in pain and her response was "that was the point."

35 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

For those of us who easily bruise - try a product with arnica. I find them with the muscle pain remedies in the drug store. It does seem to help my bruises fade a little faster. 

Agreed. That was recommended to me when my husband and I were taking fencing lessons. It turns out beginning fencers hit way too hard (and off-target) when they are trying to score a point and I looked like I had been in some very odd fights.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

9/11..I was getting ready for work with the T.V. on. They announced the first plane hitting the tower and I was confused how a pilot could make that big of a mistake the the next one hit and we knew it was not a mistake. I grabbed a very small portable t.v. went to work and watched the news on that. I received a call from the home office saying to go home this was a day when we needed to be with our family. After getting home I watched T.V. as long as I could. What I remember most is the quite I live a few miles from the Houston airport you always hear planes. On that day no planes and very few cars.  And for the people we lost..May their memory be eternal.

• Love 6

I second arnica. I'm extremely pale and bruise easily so I always look like I lost a fight. I'm currently sporting bruises on my upper arms because I moved a big microwave last weekend. Arnica cream helps them heal faster. I use one called Arnicare by Boiron; you can find it on Amazon or at Whole Foods. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Useful 1

We were stationed in Hawaii at the time, and Mr Jyn happened to have the day off for some reason. The two older kids had gone off to school, and we were just relaxing - hadn't turned on the TV or computer yet. It was still morning there, and we had no idea that anything had happened until my mom called and started talking about the second tower coming down, figuring that we had to have seen the story unfolding by then. I assumed she was talking about some sort of planned demolition. It took a few minutes to get the story straight. I just remember turning on the TV and barely even being able to believe what we were seeing. It just didn't even register. Especially with the addition of the third plane which crashed in the field - I don't know why, but I always found that part in the unfolding events the most haunting even though only a fraction of lives were lost. Maybe because of the knowing sacrifice involved.

• Love 6

I was pulling out of the garage to drive to work (West Coast time here) and remember the NPR announcer was talking about the Pennsylvania crash and trying very hard not to draw conclusions. I was transfixed by the NPR coverage for the entirety of my nearly 1-hour commute. Got to work and borrowed a radio from a colleague's office to continue listening. Soon enough, I sent my staff home and then finally drove home myself. I remember American flags had been added to all the overpasses and one was installed on a makeshift flagpole in an industrial area just before I got home that choked me up. Spent the rest of the day/evening glued to CNN and NPR.

• Love 6