Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

37 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

@lookeyloo how is your son doing? 

Thanks for asking. He has had one treatment of immunotherapy. It is administered through an IV. He will get these every 3 weeks for a period of time and then rescan. There are certain side effects that could cause the treatment to stop. We are hoping that doesn't happen.  They aren’t talking cure - more like managing it. I go over there almost every day. Some days he feels better than others. He has no restrictions but the pain pills make him tired   I watch him sleep in the recliner. He is hopeful. I am scared. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Thanks for asking. He has had one treatment of immunotherapy. It is administered through an IV. He will get these every 3 weeks for a period of time and then rescan. There are certain side effects that could cause the treatment to stop. We are hoping that doesn't happen.  They aren’t talking cure - more like managing it. I go over there almost every day. Some days he feels better than others. He has no restrictions but the pain pills make him tired   I watch him sleep in the recliner. He is hopeful. I am scared. 

He is in my thoughts.  You are as well.  Take care.

• Love 12
On 9/23/2019 at 5:08 PM, Puffin said:

Shouldn’t it be from Jinger first then Jeremy and Felicity, after all Michelle is Jingers mother! Oh wait I forgot headship first 🙄

On 9/23/2019 at 10:01 PM, BitterApple said:

I'm part of a Facebook group that's dedicated to sharing old photos and documents of the area we grew up in. I was flabbergasted when reading turn of the century obituaries because the daughters of the deceased were always listed under their husband's names. It wouldn't read "Mary Smith" but "Mrs. Joseph Smith." One guy had like six or seven daughters and the obituary was a litany of male names. Different times and all, but I still thought it was crazy considering the men weren't the blood relations of the deceased.

20 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

They were still doing that in the 1950’s. I saw my grandfather’s obit and his daughters were listed as Mrs.

Brought this topic over from another thread.

My mom still signed things  like our school papers with my dad's name in the 70's.  (for example Mrs. Bob Smith instead of Betty Smith).  We asked her why & she said that's just the way it was done (thinking along the lines of Emily Post.)

I guess I have kept on with that way of thinking because I have always signed cards with Mr. Barb's name first.  Even though we are equals in our marriage,  I still consider him the headship of our family so his name goes first.  I can't imagine changing things now after almost 35 years of marriage. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Back iBrought this topic over from another thread.

My mom still signed things  like our school papers with my dad's name in the 70's.  (for example Mrs. Bob Smith instead of Betty Smith).  We asked her why & she said that's just the way it was done (thinking along the lines of Emily Post.)

I guess I have kept on with that way of thinking because I have always signed cards with Mr. Barb's name first.  Even though we are equals in our marriage,  I still consider him the headship of our family so his name goes first.  I can't imagine changing things now after almost 35 years of marriage. 

Back in the day, the only women who would sign Mrs. Betty Smith were divorcees.  And no one wanted to be associated with that sort of scandalous behavior.  And, of course, every single woman had to use a prefix before her name so the entire world would know that she had managed to catch a man-or that she was a sad and lonely spinster.  

• Love 4
On 9/20/2019 at 12:45 AM, DecafPlease said:

I've been reading pages and pages to get caught up, but mostly what I get is that you guys are a tight crew, and Jill needs a new bra 😝

C'mon.  She has the best that Dollar General has to offer!

I saw the story about the dwarf who was an adult passing herself off as a kid.  I believe she's adult as well.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Aha! I knew that bladder cancer was one of the types of cancer they are now very successfully treating with immunotherapy, but I didn’t know kidney cancer was one to them, too. I am glad to hear it! Thinking of you and your family!

• Love 6

Had chick fil a yesterday. Line too long, wait for food too long. Nuggets are the size of tater tots. Fries were tasty. Spicy chicken sandwich was tasty but the bun is too small.

Too expensive too boot. Never eating there again. McNuggets are way tastier.

Edited by galaxychaser
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I am a sad and lonely spinster 🙁

I'm a spinster too (can I just say I hate that word).   There are times that I'm sad and lonely, but I would rather be sad, lonely, and single rather than sad, lonely, and married.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13
9 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I used to work with a loud woman who’s desk was situated to be the receptionist for the office.  Any time she had to make a personal call, she routinely identified herself as “Mrs. Brian L. Sommers”.  Everyone would collectively yell from their respective cubbies “STOP SAYING THAT!!!”  Insult to injury:  she pronounced “Mrs” as “Mizzrez”.

• LOL 14

When I got married, it was still the proper thing to call yourself Mrs. Husband's Name..  I didn't mind changing my last name, but didn't want to be lost so, I never called myself that and didn't use Mrs much either.  I never saw the point.

• Love 8
18 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I am a sad and lonely spinster 🙁

You can choose to define yourself that way or you can choose to define yourself in a different way - I learned that in counseling when I was going through my unwanted divorce and thought of myself as a pitiful loser that was unwanted.  Some help in rethinking and better days followed.  I learned a lot - 

• Love 20

What defines a spinster? If it means a women of a certain age that isn’t married than I am one too. I’m not unhappy. I have a life, some good friends and two cats that cuddle and keep me warm at night. 

If you are lonely I suggest that you join a club of your interest. Perhaps a book club (often found through libraries), sewing, knitting or quilting club. Join the local YMCA and take an exercise class. Water aerobics is fun and low impact. Go volunteer at your local animal shelter or senior citizens living center. They’ll keep you entertained with their life stories. Go to a church and take a Bible study class. Take a cooking class. Check your local newspaper (or online) for a singles club. There are many things that you can do that would up your chances of meeting someone like minded. NYC is a big busy place and I get that it can make you feel like an ant on a mountain, but you have to be out in it to make friends. 

• Love 9
19 hours ago, Higgins said:

LPNs working in skilled nursing facilities often practice the same skills as RNs do. I have been the RN Supervisor at such a facility and many LPNs are as good or better at nursing skills than many RNs.

I brought this over from another thread  which ever one that was talking about Abbie helping in the Bahamas. .

I agree with your post.  I receive home health care & both RNs & LPNs see me. It seems like at least with home care,  the only difference between them is that the RNs are the ones who deal with all the paperwork as well patient care.  My LPN worked all over the hospital wherever she was needed.  For example:  she may have worked on the cardio floor in the morning going room to room doing EKGs & later going to another floor to do blood draws.   She said the other nurses loved to see her coming because they knew she was there to help & lighten their load.  I also know after being in  hospitals & phys ther rehab facilities many times, it seems the main jobs of the RNs (or at least the most time consuming part of their job) was admitting & discharging patients & adminstering the meds.  The LPNs were the ones who actually did most of the hands on patient care. 

But i don't think it mattered what type of nurse Abbie is-I don't think she  used any or not  much of her nursing skills in the Bahamas.  

Edited by Barb23
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

I brought this over from another thread  which ever one that was talking about Abbie helping in the Bahamas. .

I agree with your post.  I receive home health care & both RNs & LPNs see me. It seems like at least with home care,  the only difference between them is that the RNs are the ones who deal with all the paperwork as well patient care.  My LPN worked all over the hospital wherever she was needed.  For example:  she may have worked on the cardio floor in the morning going room to room doing EKGs & later going to another floor to do blood draws.   She said the other nurses loved to see her coming because they knew she was there to help & lighten their load.  I also know after being in  hospitals & phys ther rehab facilities many times, it seems the main jobs of the RNs (or at least the most time consuming part of their job) was admitting & discharging patients & adminstering the meds.  The LPNs were the ones who actually did most of the hands on patient care. 

But i don't think it mattered what type of nurse Abbie is-I don't think she  used any or not  much of her nursing skills in the Bahamas.  

That is generally my experience, as well.  I am a physician who has worked extensively with both categories of provider, both in the hospital and office settings.  In general, RN's are more likely to have supervisory/administrative responsibilities that are not open to LPN's who do mostly direct day-to-day hands-on patient care.  LPN's, in most circumstances, are not eligible for the supervisory/administrative roles that RN's fill in the nursing hierarchy these days.  And I seriously doubt that Abby, who worked as a staff LPN at a long term care facility (as far as I know), had the qualifications or experience to be the lead (and only) nurse on the Medic Corps team. None of that sort of skill would have been required in her prior employment as we understand it. This presumes that the Medic Corps team, besides their title, had any interest whatsoever in providing medical care in a disaster.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

What defines a spinster? If it means a women of a certain age that isn’t married than I am one too. I’m not unhappy. I have a life, some good friends and two cats that cuddle and keep me warm at night. 

If you are lonely I suggest that you join a club of your interest. Perhaps a book club (often found through libraries), sewing, knitting or quilting club. Join the local YMCA and take an exercise class. Water aerobics is fun and low impact. Go volunteer at your local animal shelter or senior citizens living center. They’ll keep you entertained with their life stories. Go to a church and take a Bible study class. Take a cooking class. Check your local newspaper (or online) for a singles club. There are many things that you can do that would up your chances of meeting someone like minded. NYC is a big busy place and I get that it can make you feel like an ant on a mountain, but you have to be out in it to make friends. 

I’m trying it’s not working 😞

@lookeyloo  I haven't posted anything because I was just at a loss for words.  When it's your child, no matter what age, it is heart rendering.  I have two grown children and the thought of them being seriously ill is frightening.  Every time I see your name posted I say a prayer for your son, you, and everyone who loves him.  I pray that his treatment will be successful and you all find peace where you can.  You are a wonderful mom.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Hey everyone I’m going to take long break from the site. I am so jealous of the Duggar’s they have what I don’t. I need to stop depressing myself. 

Peace out, keep snarking. 

If you really feel better away from this site, I can't argue with that.  But, I hate to think you are cutting yourself off from a lot of support from this group of people.  A lot of us have what I will call deficiencies in our lives and this contact helps fill in some empty spaces.

• Love 23
49 minutes ago, wilsie said:

@galaxychaser  You will be missed.  I hope you can find some place and/or real friend who will appeciate you for the wonderful person you are.  And I hope until you do that you find the loving person in yourself that you share with us.

This. And, also, even if you don't want to deal with the Duggar stuff, at least drop by the prayer closet now and again to let us know how you are doing. Depression is a very scary thing, and we don't want to lose track of you.

• Love 17
7 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Hey everyone I’m going to take long break from the site. I am so jealous of the Duggar’s they have what I don’t. I need to stop depressing myself. 

You know your heart, feelings, and mental health better than anyone else.  If you truly feel like you need to take a break, please know we will be here when you come back.  If you're just looking for someone to chat, feel free to send me a PM.  I'm home 6.5/7 days of the week.  I am married, but we don't have children, so I have nothing pressing, and I can just listen.  Just wanted to give you something to think about.  Hugs, my dear ♥

• Love 12
9 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Please keep checking in with us. A lot of people care about you. Please find someone to talk to.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I feel like we are all your friends, so please consider what @Jynnan tonnix suggested, and just stay on the Small Talk pages. We will miss you. But if you must go for awhile, please come back and join us here when you can. Hugs!

• Love 6

@galaxychaser, I echo the sentiments of those suggesting that you limit yourself to this thread. We have a great group here, and we are all here to support you through the tough times. Please don't isolate. I know from experience that it only makes depression worse. 

💙💚💛💜

• Love 10

I am a neatnik, almost to the point of excessive. I diligently dust and vacuum each week. In between times, I run my little non-electric sweeper to pick up crumbs and other debris. I have no pets. I live with my husband and adult son. Because of my bad back, I bought a robot vacuum. OMG! You wouldn’t believe all the dirt it picks up every single week! It’s like I haven’t cleaned in weeks! Or months! And the thing is, before I run the robot, I swiffer my floors (I have tile with 3 area rugs) along the baseboards and under areas where the robot can’t go and it still fills the little bin FULL of dirt. I highly recommend a robot vacuum.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, ehall1052 said:

I am a neatnik, almost to the point of excessive. I diligently dust and vacuum each week. In between times, I run my little non-electric sweeper to pick up crumbs and other debris. I have no pets. I live with my husband and adult son. Because of my bad back, I bought a robot vacuum. OMG! You wouldn’t believe all the dirt it picks up every single week! It’s like I haven’t cleaned in weeks! Or months! And the thing is, before I run the robot, I swiffer my floors (I have tile with 3 area rugs) along the baseboards and under areas where the robot can’t go and it still fills the little bin FULL of dirt. I highly recommend a robot vacuum.

Does it make the transition from hard surface to the carpet easily? That would be my consideration. 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Does it make the transition from hard surface to the carpet easily? That would be my consideration. 

I love mine too and yes, it does make the transition easily from hard surface to carpet.  I too (like @ehall1052) am amazed at how much it picks up, though sometimes amused by what it passes by as it redoes the same spots over and over.  It's kind of like it's another pet to us (we have a black cat) and we laugh at its antics sometimes.  I think we confused ours by moving.  It had our old place down pat, then we moved to a larger, 2 story place and it sometimes seems to have trouble finding its docking station.  Ours is a Roborock Xiaowa.  We got it on Amazon Renew (returned or refurbished items, still under warranty) and it's been great.  Ours is supposed to mop too, though we have hardly used that feature.  You can download an app and tell it what to do (and see where it is) on your phone.  

Edited by BetyBee
  • Love 2
39 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Yes. My robot is an Eufy 11S. I have quite a high transition from my kitchen to dining room (vinyl to ceramic tile) and it maneuvers it very well. And it goes from the tile to area rugs well also. 

We named ours Amelia Bedelia.

Edited by ehall1052
Added last sentence.
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4

I need advice, if you'll indulge this lurker 😊

I'm not a fan of MLMs and I won't even attempt to defend them, but a few years ago I was sucked into selling LuLaRoe for less than a year (this was right before all the shady crappy stuff started coming to light, which is when I bailed). 

Anyway, my problem is that I amassed quite a lot of the clothing in my time selling it. It's been sitting unworn for a while, but recently we started going to church and since most of the clothes were acquired when I still went into an office daily, I thought maybe I should dig it out and wear some of it. But I don't know how to feel about that. I like most of the pieces I have (some I'll easily donate though, yikes). They still fit me. But I don't really want to advertise what I now know is a horrible company by wearing their clothing. So do I just keep the stuff that isn't obviously theirs (ie looks like it could be bought pretty much anywhere)? Or do I wear it all and don't let it bother me?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

I'm not a fan of MLMs and I won't even attempt to defend them, but a few years ago I was sucked into selling LuLaRoe for less than a year (this was right before all the shady crappy stuff started coming to light, which is when I bailed). 

Anyway, my problem is that I amassed quite a lot of the clothing in my time selling it. It's been sitting unworn for a while, but recently we started going to church and since most of the clothes were acquired when I still went into an office daily, I thought maybe I should dig it out and wear some of it. But I don't know how to feel about that. I like most of the pieces I have (some I'll easily donate though, yikes). They still fit me. But I don't really want to advertise what I now know is a horrible company by wearing their clothing. So do I just keep the stuff that isn't obviously theirs (ie looks like it could be bought pretty much anywhere)? Or do I wear it all and don't let it bother me?

It's bought and paid for, you didn't know about LuLaRoe's dark side when you bought it.  If you like it, wear it.  If anyone says anything, ignore them.  Or ask them if they wear Nike shoes or WalMart clothes or anything else made in a sweatshop in Asia. Unless they're sourcing every single thing they buy and avoiding anyone with any sort of negative rep (and who has time for that?), they've got no room to talk.There is no reason to let perfectly good clothing go to waste just because the people who own the company are asses.  

I watched the Cosby Show back in the day, I listened to Michael Jackson's music and liked Kevin Spacey's movies.  Doesn't mean I condone their personal behavior and, even now, I don't turn the radio off if 'Bad' starts playing.

• Love 22
3 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

I haven't bought any LLR in the last year, but I still wear the clothes I bought.  To be perfectly honest,  the company is not any more unethical than any other clothing company.   They all have their issues from ripping off other people's intellectual property,  clothes made overseas in sweatshops,  clothes "made in the USA" by prisoners,  the environmental impact of making clothes in China and shipping them here, Walmart and its business practices,  Amazon and its business practices,  CEOs who donate money to politicians to screw over the middle class,  etc.  You can lessen the impact by shopping at thrift stores, but so many of them have their own issues.   Unless you are making your own clothes from clothe you have made, there is always some ethical concern.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

This will pale in comparison to the situations some of our dear forum friends are dealing with right now. Sometimes I am at a loss for words, but for those of you who share your difficulties I keep you in my thoughts and send peaceful thoughts your way. 

I had a dream last night that has left me unsettled all day. Briefly, I was driving alone on a rainy and foggy night. Visibility was just awful. I made a left turn onto a ramp and instantly conditions worsened and I couldn't see anything. I felt my hands removed from the steering wheel and gently held as I was pulled upward. Nothing was visible in front of me. I said "I am scared" and with that I startled awake. My immediate thought was that I had died and an angel was lifting me upward. 

There is a Franciscan nun near me who is a Jungian psychologist - I think I may pay her a visit.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

Those are also excellent points, @Ohiopirate02! It's sadly difficult to find ethical companies. I think some of it is that I feel a little ashamed for being sucked into it at all, but it was vulnerable time for me and we all make mistakes. Doesn't mean I shouldn't wear what I already own and like (as Doodlebug pointed out)! I haven't bought any since I quit either. 

• Love 5

@lookeyloo, I'm so sorry for what you and your son and family are going through. 

Update on the situation with my dad and his desired road trip to see his brother. My uncle with cancer is now home with 24x7 care. He does not have the use of his legs and is not undergoing any further radiation or chemo for his metastatic prostate cancer. BUT he is on a new medication that is bringing down his PSA numbers significantly and he gets to hang out with his wife and his doggies. My dad's other two surviving brothers had been planning to fly down and visit him, except one of my aunts fell and broke a rib and a leg and is now in a rehab facility for that so the trip is off for now. Meanwhile, my dad has stopped talking about wanting to go down. His care facility thought we could make the trip possible with one caregiver if my dad's girlfriend also goes. Dad cannot fly. I am just not bringing the trip up. We'll see what needs to happen if Dad gets back to it. I get that he wants to see his brother, but he also thinks his care facility has more than one building (it doesn't), that it has hallways that are outdoors but somehow climate controlled (it doesn't), that he is in a room with modular walls (he isn't), that they are moving him to new apartments all the time (they aren't), and that sometimes he is camping outdoors (he isn't). And all this is in an environment with which he is familiar, so you see why I am just not bringing up a possible road trip.

Edited by jcbrown
random capital letters are not our friends
  • Love 10

Zsuzsuzsu Anderson has a new video out.  That woman is just crazy.  She just had her 10th baby (born in the family 82 degree pool) and this is her second child born without a tongue tie.

She refused prenatal vitamins with her last two pregnancies, since they're full of fake vitamins, which she says inhibits absorbtion of vitamins in food, and these last two don't have tongue tie.

So because of this, Zsu concluded that she must have  the genetic mutation MTHFR.  She claims women with this mutation cannot absorb fake folate and other B vitamins.  So she avoids all fake B vitamins, including enriched flour and breads.  She bake with eikorn flour.

Of course no doctor diagnosed her with this mutation but Zsu knows everything emphatically, until it no longer suits her and she changes her mind.

Formula was totally evil, until her milk supply plummeted with her last kid, and she used formula.

OB/GYN's are evil perverts, especially males, and she was forever blogging about that.  Until she needed one with her twin pregnancy, which included the loss of one twin.

Mothers who take their kids to fast food are lazy, except Zsu is forever doing it.

Women are biblically commanded to give birth in pain, but she never said a word about her wonderful epidural, which she received after a home birth transfer on her second to last kid.

The list goes on.  She is forever putting down other women's choices until she, too, does it.

• Love 1