Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

50 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I saw Judy last night. I think Renee Z will win an Oscar. I enjoyed the movie very much.

I want to see it sooooo badly!!! I'm obsessed with all things judy Garland. In college, I even wrote a screenplay about her childhood! The movie isn't playing anywhere near me, so I'm going to have to get creative to see it. Love judy soooo much!!!

• Love 7

doodlebug, this is going back a bit, but how did you find the person who microblades your eyebrows? I need help shaping and filling mine in but I have no idea how to find someone (other than Googling)! And no one I know has their eyebrows done professionally. 

Edited by emma675d
12 hours ago, emma675 said:

doodlebug, this is going back a bit, but how did you find the person who microblades your eyebrows? I need help shaping and filling mine in but I have no idea how to find someone (other than Googling)! And no one I know has their eyebrows done professionally. 

I googled and got a couple of recommendations from people who'd had it done. So, not much help, am I?

All of the places I checked had a free consult session.  I went to mine and she talked about how she qualified to do this, showed me her certification hanging on the wall, she talked about the procedure: how long it would take, the steps involved, what can be changed and what cannot.  She told me how much it would cost and laid out the usual appointment schedule.  She talked about potential risks, how long it would last, how often I might need to get a touch up.  She also had an album of before and after pictures and went over it with me.  

She also asked me what I was looking for since some younger clients tend to want exaggerated brows while most people, like me, want something that looks natural.  She'd had her own brows done and hers were quite natural and exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

It's now been about 6 weeks and I am still very pleased.  I go next week for a 'touch up' which is included in the initial cost.  We'll look at my brows and she'll fill in any spaces and can also thicken them or darken them if I want.  She says she always starts with less and adds later rather than going too heavy handed off the bat.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 4
56 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

@doodlebug Does microblading hurt? I’m pretty sensitive to pain. 

The technician used a numbing gel, like EMLA, on the area prior to the procedure.  All I felt was pressure/pulling.  My brows were slightly sore for a day or two afterwards.  I was told to use ice/ibuprofen but it never was that bad.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

@doodlebug Thank you. I’ve been considering it for my berry light colored and sparse brows. Then again I’m at that age and not in the public eye anymore, so don’t really have a good reason to improve my looks. I appreciate your response. 

I'm 62, I did it for myself.

• Love 9

I'm 43 and single and not really looking for a man (the Duggars would be horrified, lol) and all of the beauty stuff I do is strictly for myself. I like to look good because it makes me feel better about myself and if someone else appreciates it, fine, but that's not really the point. I've recently lost almost 40 pounds and I just started wearing form fitting clothes again, which makes me feel great (although losing that much weight jacked up my thyroid meds and my iron levels, so that's not fun). I've also got an appointment with the dermatologist tomorrow because losing that much weight in your 40's means things start to sag and hollow out in facial areas and it makes me look older. Losing weight is expensive, lol!

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 17
28 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I'm 43 and single and not really looking for a man (the Duggar's would be horrified, lol) and all of the beauty stuff I do is strictly for myself. I like to look good because it makes me feel better about myself and if someone else appreciates, fine, but that's not really the point. I've recently lost almost 40 pounds and I just started wearing form fitting clothes again, which makes me feel great (although losing that much weight jacked up my thyroid meds and my iron levels, so that's not fun). I've also got an appointment with the dermatologist tomorrow because losing that much weight in your 40's means things start to sag and hollow out in facial areas and it makes me look older. Losing weight is expensive, lol!

Yes a little bit of fat in the face does make you look more youthful.  Do yourself a favor and research before buying any skincare product at the derm.  They will likely push you into the more expensive products they sell.  Some of the stuff they sell is great, but you can easily find a cheaper alternative.  Also, expensive skincare is so nice that I hate to dabble in it.  I find it better to stick to The Ordinary, Cerave, and Neutrogena instead of being disappointed that I cannot afford what I really want.  

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Ohiopirate02, I'm talking filler, not topical products, lol!  Plus, I'm getting my annual skin cancer check.

Filler does sound appropriate.  I also need to schedule an appointment to get a skin cancer check.  I am starting to consider botox or another treatment to help with the sagging around my mouth.  

• Love 2

I am very wrinkly, at 75, and have lost 5 lbs since the son got so sick, so the wrinkles are more noticeable.  I don't want to be committed to anything like fillers, so just try and keep my face moisturized.  I do all my beauty things for myself.  It makes me feel better to do them.   I did have my eyelids lifted when I retired, because they were a nuisance to me and was willing to pay when surgeon said, oh no, insurance will pay, they are that bad.  And insurance paid.  He did a field of vision test which I flunked handily.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, lookeyloo said:

I am very wrinkly, at 75, and have lost 5 lbs since the son got so sick, so the wrinkles are more noticeable.  I don't want to be committed to anything like fillers, so just try and keep my face moisturized.  I do all my beauty things for myself.  It makes me feel better to do them.   I did have my eyelids lifted when I retired, because they were a nuisance to me and was willing to pay when surgeon said, oh no, insurance will pay, they are that bad.  And insurance paid.  He did a field of vision test which I flunked handily.

I had the same surgery. It was considered medically necessary, and covered. It got to the point where I could be standing at a sink with a light fixture above, and not even know the light was there. 

• Love 5
Just now, ginger90 said:

I had the same surgery. It was considered medically necessary, and covered. It got to the point where I could be standing at a sink with a light fixture above, and not even know the light was there. 

Right???  I needed sun glasses afterwards because they acted like giant visors!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Amen to all the talk of things to help when losing a bit of weight at a certain age. I will be 61 in January, and lost a much-needed 10 lb or so during the bit of colon-cancer I sideswiped this summer. Plus another 10 lb or so which I lost over the course of the previous year and a half or thereabouts. It's not much overall, but I do notice that while I look a lot better in some ways, I pay for it in others. I have the beginnings of turkey-wattles on my neck, and my jowls are starting to droop a bit. I have naturally hooded eyelids and a hint of Margaret Rutherford-style eye-bags to come a few more years down the line. I don't mind aging gracefully, but the fact that some of this is coming faster than I would like bothers me a bit. Plus I really need to lose another 20 lb or more to help with the diabetes. Ideally I could lose another 40, but I'm not sure that would help my medical issues enough and not make me look that much older in the long run (to say nothing of being that much more difficult to achieve) that it really merits putting that much effort into it. 

On another subject, it's time for the annual debate over sleeping temperatures between me and Mr. Jyn...He's crabby this evening because he says it's time to start turning up the temperatures at night and asked where I would like them. I said no more than 60, and he looked at me as though I'd suggested he cut off a few limbs to save space. After 34 years, you'd think he'd know the answer, but it always seems to throw him (plus we have spent enough time stationed in places like Hawaii, Guam, and Georgia where just setting the A/C to something under 68 got pretty expensive). But while I'll admit I'd probably rather sleep indoors than out, I have yet to find a limit to what is too chilly when it comes to bedroom temps. Last year our pipes froze because I never did see a need to turn on the heat upstairs, so I've agreed that we need to make that concession, but sleeping in a cocoon when it's 50 degrees or so in the bedroom sounds like heaven. Sixty degrees is doable, and entirely warm enough for the average person in my mind. I cannot sleep in anything above 68, and that's only with a serious fan blowing on me all night. Mr. Jyn hates air hitting him at night, though, so resists having the fan on, and still wants it at least 65. That could be a compromise, I suppose, but I'd still  need to sleep with only a sheet on top of me with my shoulders and legs sticking out and the aforementioned fan. And I'd never get to have any of those blissful cold nights in a coccon which I love winter for....

Oh, and by the way, here's my face at the age of 60 with another 20-40 lb still potentially to lose and age it...This photo by courtesy of what seems to be a built-in filter on my cell phone which always manages to make me look better than other cameras do. So add at least five more years to start with

IMG_20190703_105019.jpg

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 22
5 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

50 degrees or so in the bedroom sounds like heaven.

I’m so with you on that temperature. I loved living in Scotland. We had no heat in the bedroom. Only in the living room on the other end of the house and a bit in the kitchen for the pipes. There would be frost on the inside of the windows. I’d rather have a blanket and cats than high temperatures. 

• Love 6
Just now, Mindthinkr said:

I’m so with you on that temperature. I loved living in Scotland. We had no heat in the bedroom. Only in the living room on the other end of the house and a bit in the kitchen for the pipes. There would be frost on the inside of the windows. I’d rather have a blanket and cats than high temperatures. 

When did you live in Scotland? I feel as though I should already know this since I'm sure it came up at some point. We were stationed there in 1989-1991. My younger son was born there. It was blissful!! 

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

When did you live in Scotland? I feel as though I should already know this since I'm sure it came up at some point. We were stationed there in 1989-1991. My younger son was born there. It was blissful!! 

After you. 2001-2011, but I also kept a residence in the US. My family is here so I’d come back and forth across the pond. I was in the Aberdeen area. Slangevar. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Mindthinkr said:

After you. 2001-2011, but I also kept a residence in the US. My family is here so I’d come back and forth across the pond. I was in the Aberdeen area. Slangevar. 

Ooooh! A nice long time! We were meant to be there for three years. but ended up having to come back after only a hair after two when they closed the base in Dunoon, and decided to make Mr, Jyn the Officer in Charge of the Homeport Change Team. We got g***** out of our last year just to end up in Chesapeake (ugh!). I was not a happy camper!

That being said, I do still have the option for UK citizenship, having been born there 🙂

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Dunoon

I used to go to Loch Fyne just west of you and also had relatives in the Glasgow area. It’s very pretty around there, but the roads can be a nightmare and you have to throw American travel times out the window. Lol...it always takes twice as long. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I used to go to Loch Fyne just west of you and also had relatives in the Glasgow area. It’s very pretty around there, but the roads can be a nightmare and you have to throw American travel times out the window. Lol...it always takes twice as long. 

LOL...We used to go to Loch Fyne for the salmon. The first time, we were warned that it was a day trip, and we should plan on lunch there and beyond...So we got up early, had the kids in the car by 8 am, and ended up getting to the area barely in time to see them open for the day. Basically we had a day to kill, so ended up following some signs to a "rare breeds animal park", which we were sure we had missed on the way as the signs were placed far enough apart that  you felt you were on the backwoods to nowhere before you happened on the next. We ended up getting there just after they opened, and found that it was  basically a collection of rare breeds of goats, sheep and chickens. But the kids (who were four and five, with the third on the way) enjoyed it. and it was, in the end, a lovely day out! The ideas of "far away" by the Scottish definition as opposed to the American was ingrained in us after that. though!

By the way, the other day I happened to go down a rabbit hole, and was moved to google a restaurant called the Coylet, on the shores of Loch Eck, just north of Dunoon.  We used to go there every so often for a pub meal amidst some of the most beguiling scenery ever...I found that it had succumbed to a kitchen fire some ten years ago, was on the market for a veritable steal (what a temptation!), but had actually been reopened just a few months ago to apparently good reviews under new ownership. I found that very cheering. I also found that actress Emma Thompson apparently had the reception for her second wedding there, and had visited a couple of times afterward, which also make me feel peripherally special in a most out-of-the-loop way....

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Amen to all the talk of things to help when losing a bit of weight at a certain age. I will be 61 in January, and lost a much-needed 10 lb or so during the bit of colon-cancer I sideswiped this summer. Plus another 10 lb or so which I lost over the course of the previous year and a half or thereabouts. It's not much overall, but I do notice that while I look a lot better in some ways, I pay for it in others. I have the beginnings of turkey-wattles on my neck, and my jowls are starting to droop a bit. I have naturally hooded eyelids and a hint of Margaret Rutherford-style eye-bags to come a few more years down the line. I don't mind aging gracefully, but the fact that some of this is coming faster than I would like bothers me a bit. Plus I really need to lose another 20 lb or more to help with the diabetes. Ideally I could lose another 40, but I'm not sure that would help my medical issues enough and not make me look that much older in the long run (to say nothing of being that much more difficult to achieve) that it really merits putting that much effort into it. 

On another subject, it's time for the annual debate over sleeping temperatures between me and Mr. Jyn...He's crabby this evening because he says it's time to start turning up the temperatures at night and asked where I would like them. I said no more than 60, and he looked at me as though I'd suggested he cut off a few limbs to save space. After 34 years, you'd think he'd know the answer, but it always seems to throw him (plus we have spent enough time stationed in places like Hawaii, Guam, and Georgia where just setting the A/C to something under 68 got pretty expensive). But while I'll admit I'd probably rather sleep indoors than out, I have yet to find a limit to what is too chilly when it comes to bedroom temps. Last year our pipes froze because I never did see a need to turn on the heat upstairs, so I've agreed that we need to make that concession, but sleeping in a cocoon when it's 50 degrees or so in the bedroom sounds like heaven. Sixty degrees is doable, and entirely warm enough for the average person in my mind. I cannot sleep in anything above 68, and that's only with a serious fan blowing on me all night. Mr. Jyn hates air hitting him at night, though, so resists having the fan on, and still wants it at least 65. That could be a compromise, I suppose, but I'd still  need to sleep with only a sheet on top of me with my shoulders and legs sticking out and the aforementioned fan. And I'd never get to have any of those blissful cold nights in a coccon which I love winter for....

Oh, and by the way, here's my face at the age of 60 with another 20-40 lb still potentially to lose and age it...This photo by courtesy of what seems to be a built-in filter on my cell phone which always manages to make me look better than other cameras do. So add at least five more years to start with

IMG_20190703_105019.jpg

60°? Good heavens that's freezing. I keep mine in the winter around 75ish. In the summer it's around 80 but I live outside of Houston and this summer at 80° my electric bill was still over $100.00 and that's for a small apartment. Our winters are not that cold thankfully. As I have gotten older I have  smaller temperature comfort level.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

LOL...We used to go to Loch Fyne for the salmon. The first time, we were warned that it was a day trip, and we should plan on lunch there and beyond...So we got up early, had the kids in the car by 8 am, and ended up getting to the area barely in time to see them open for the day. Basically we had a day to kill, so ended up following some signs to a "rare breeds animal park", which we were sure we had missed on the way as the signs were placed far enough apart that  you felt you were on the backwoods to nowhere before you happened on the next. We ended up getting there just after they opened, and found that it was  basically a collection of rare breeds of goats, sheep and chickens. But the kids (who were four and five, with the third on the way) enjoyed it. and it was, in the end, a lovely day out! The ideas of "far away" by the Scottish definition as opposed to the American was ingrained in us after that. though!

By the way, the other day I happened to go down a rabbit hole, and was moved to google a restaurant called the Coylet, on the shores of Loch Eck, just north of Dunoon.  We used to go there every so often for a pub meal amidst some of the most beguiling scenery ever...I found that it had succumbed to a kitchen fire some ten years ago, was on the market for a veritable steal (what a temptation!), but had actually been reopened just a few months ago to apparently good reviews under new ownership. I found that very cheering. I also found that actress Emma Thompson apparently had the reception for her second wedding there, and had visited a couple of times afterward, which also make me feel peripherally special in a most out-of-the-loop way....So I have to say that I'm not sure you mean "twice as long" to mean  that the journeys took twice as long as you had anticipated or half as long as you were told. For us, it was always the latter.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

As I have gotten older I have  smaller temperature comfort level.

My mother's comfort level has narrowed to be right at 76 degrees.  I hope I can maintain a slightly wider range.  She's 89 so though has kind of earned her right to be picky.   

I used to be able to sleep at a much wider temperature range.  I'm kind of solidly 66 to 72 right now.  69 is about perfect.

• Love 3

Since I don’t control the heat in the apartment . I keep the fan on, windows open and tv on at night. I prefer cold. I rather sleep with 2 blankets than be hot. 

I lost 10 pounds and many more to go. But I’m enjoying going to the gym and I’m forcing myself to eat fruit and salad everyday. No dressing or salt added to anything. 

I just can’t give up cold cuts and bacon and snacks... Help lol. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

...But while I'll admit I'd probably rather sleep indoors than out, I have yet to find a limit to what is too chilly when it comes to bedroom temps. Last year our pipes froze because I never did see a need to turn on the heat upstairs, so I've agreed that we need to make that concession, but sleeping in a cocoon when it's 50 degrees or so in the bedroom sounds like heaven. Sixty degrees is doable, and entirely warm enough for the average person in my mind. I cannot sleep in anything above 68, and that's only with a serious fan blowing on me all night. Mr. Jyn hates air hitting him at night, though, so resists having the fan on, and still wants it at least 65. That could be a compromise, I suppose, but I'd still  need to sleep with only a sheet on top of me with my shoulders and legs sticking out and the aforementioned fan. And I'd never get to have any of those blissful cold nights in a coccon which I love winter for....

I'm with you. I think I'm part penguin, and also related to my mom who could work up a sweat picking up a fork. I keep our A/C set to 70 during the day and 65 at night and it was a recent revelation that I could set the fan to blow for 15 minutes out of every hour to keep the air moving and allow me to sleep without throwing off covers. It got down in the 40s at night last week but I have yet to turn the heat on because covers and cats! When I do turn the heat on, it is never set to above, say, 67. My dad would be wrapped in two sweaters, a jacket, and a down throw when he visited but he and my mom always said "put on a sweater" when I was cold as a kid so he was reaping what he had sown.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

I envy all you people who don’t freeze. I used to be one of them. When menopause came knocking I was hot cold hot cold about every 45 minutes. It was horrible. Now that menopause is past I am very sensitive to cold. Which apparently is the pattern for women in my family. Thanks, mom. 😞

• Love 7
8 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

I envy all you people who don’t freeze. I used to be one of them. When menopause came knocking I was hot cold hot cold about every 45 minutes. It was horrible. Now that menopause is past I am very sensitive to cold. Which apparently is the pattern for women in my family. Thanks, mom. 😞

I am like you. But I never got hot flashes. I always got cold flashes which my Gyn said is rare, but normal. I live in FL and sleep with a blanket all year round. I just cannot be cold anymore, then I’m miserable.

• Love 5

Does anyone have any home remedy ideas for my situation?  It sounds simple, but, isn't really.  I'm trying to find some substance that dissolves ink from paper.  Ink from an ink pen might run quite easily, but, not that from a copier or printer. It's sturdy....lol.  Long story short, I have a bunch of paper that has to be shredded, only the shred truck  isn't scheduled to come to the neighborhood until later this month. I'd like to get these documents shredded pronto.  There are so many, that it's too much to load up and take to the facility, which is quite a drive away.  And, if I take to local place they charge by the pound and I'd have to borrow or rent a truck. Too pricey and everyone is so busy.  So, I've read you can put them in water  and dissolve in a large container, pour on the ground on a tarp and they turn to mulch.  I'm not going to use as real mulch though.  I tried a small batch as a trial, but, the ink is just not fading, even after 24 hours! I also added bleach to the water to no avail!  Can you believe this? 

I tried adding acetone, alcohol, clothing stain remover, fabric softener and vinegar. Not in the same batch.) They don't seem to do much at all.  Who knew ink was so stubborn. 

It's too big of a job to shred myself.  It would take hundreds of hours and I'd burn out the shredders too fast. lol Any suggestions would be appreciated. I know that you all have some pretty ingenious minds.  

7 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone have any home remedy ideas for my situation?  It sounds simple, but, isn't really.  I'm trying to find some substance that dissolves ink from paper.  Ink from an ink pen might run quite easily, but, not that from a copier or printer. It's sturdy....lol.  Long story short, I have a bunch of paper that has to be shredded, only the shred truck  isn't scheduled to come to the neighborhood until later this month. I'd like to get these documents shredded pronto.  There are so many, that it's too much to load up and take to the facility, which is quite a drive away.  And, if I take to local place they charge by the pound and I'd have to borrow or rent a truck. Too pricey and everyone is so busy.  So, I've read you can put them in water  and dissolve in a large container, pour on the ground on a tarp and they turn to mulch.  I'm not going to use as real mulch though.  I tried a small batch as a trial, but, the ink is just not fading, even after 24 hours! I also added bleach to the water to no avail!  Can you believe this? 

I tried adding acetone, alcohol, clothing stain remover, fabric softener and vinegar. Not in the same batch.) They don't seem to do much at all.  Who knew ink was so stubborn. 

It's too big of a job to shred myself.  It would take hundreds of hours and I'd burn out the shredders too fast. lol Any suggestions would be appreciated. I know that you all have some pretty ingenious minds.  

Water is going to take a bit to break down the paper and then the ink.  Acetone should work as long as you use it straight.  It also sounds like you have too much to really consider using straight acetone on the papers.  Is burning them out of the question?  

• Love 2

That is exactly why we bought a fire pit. We are not “sit around a fire and roast marshmallows “ kind of people. We bought it to burn documents. First of all, it’s safe because fire pits are made to be safe and they are legal in my area. Just burning a pile of papers on the ground is not.

• Love 1

Thanks for the responses.  The acetone that I poured directly on the paper didn't seem to phase it. It was actually nail polish remover and is 98% acetone.  Maybe, if it soaked for a while, it might effect it.  Wouldn't you think they would make a substance for this purpose?  I'll keep googling.  

I have considered the fire pit idea. It isn't one that I relish, due to the risks.  As careful as you might be, there is always some risk involved with burning.  But, even if I did burn, it would take me many hours. I'd have to stand watch over the fire and it would  take many barrels to get them all burned.  I could see that taking way too much time. With the water/chemical route, you just fill the container with water and solution and let it soak until the next day, pour on the ground and it's done.

I'm just exhausted worrying about this.  I may have to just wait on the shredder truck to come to the house later this month. (I am starting renovations and I need to get it cleared out.) The shredder company will wheel a 96 gallon container on wheels to the front door. I then fill it up and they roll it to their truck and destroy before you.  There is a minimum of 2 containers and each one is $69.99!  I'm estimating that I can fill up at least FOUR of them.    It's going to cost a small fortune.  Any way I look at it, it's going to involve a lot of manual labor, money or both! lol  If I can load the boxes into a truck and transport to the shredder headquarters, they only charge $49.99 per 96 gallon container to shred.  But, they are about a 45 mile drive away. And, I'd have to have truck to load with all the boxes.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The only thing I can think of that you haven't is mineral spirits. 

Do you have a fireplace?  Is open burning allowed where you live?  I always use my fireplace when I have a lot of paper to dispose of (environmentally, I don't think it is worse than wood).

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Suzn said:

The only thing I can think of that you haven't is mineral spirits. 

Do you have a fireplace?  Is open burning allowed where you live?  I always use my fireplace when I have a lot of paper to dispose of (environmentally, I don't think it is worse than wood).

I do have a fireplace, but, there are gas logs in it. 

I think that for small jobs, there are lots of options.  It's just that with the massive volume, it's magnified quite a bit. I should have started doing this in small increments last year! lol  Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 they say. 

On 10/6/2019 at 7:06 PM, emma675 said:

If you read the Sister Wives forum @Sofa Sloth knows A LOT about this procedure.  She may be able to help.  I think she does or did do this.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

IMG_20190703_105019.jpg

I like a cold bedroom.  Mr. Natalie didn't turn heat off one night and it came on at about 55 degrees.  I jumped out of bed fuming angry, turned it off, and spent the next 10 minutes thinking if I slugged him would he blame it on night flailing or know I hit him.  I literally pondered this because heat at night makes me quite angry (apparently HA!).  I told him about this the next day so he never forgets to turn the heat OFF!

15 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I'm with you. I think I'm part penguin, and also related to my mom who could work up a sweat picking up a fork. I keep our A/C set to 70 during the day and 65 at night and it was a recent revelation that I could set the fan to blow for 15 minutes out of every hour to keep the air moving and allow me to sleep without throwing off covers. It got down in the 40s at night last week but I have yet to turn the heat on because covers and cats! When I do turn the heat on, it is never set to above, say, 67. My dad would be wrapped in two sweaters, a jacket, and a down throw when he visited but he and my mom always said "put on a sweater" when I was cold as a kid so he was reaping what he had sown.

Mine is 65.  Only because I am cheap.  I am always in sweaters and have a blanket with me.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

I like a cold bedroom.  Mr. Natalie didn't turn heat off one night and it came on at about 55 degrees.  I jumped out of bed fuming angry, turned it off, and spent the next 10 minutes thinking if I slugged him would he blame it on night flailing or know I hit him.  I literally pondered this because heat at night makes me quite angry (apparently HA!).  I told him about this the next day so he never forgets to turn the heat OFF!

Mine is 65.  Only because I am cheap.  I am always in sweaters and have a blanket with me.

The past couple of years, when Mr Jyn was working down in Virginia, I had control of the heat during the winter, and didn't use it at all upstairs except for a couple of "polar vortex" incidents, and the times that Mr Jyn was home for Christmas. I had the downstairs at 65, but also used the wood stove quite a bit, which would heat the living room, and warm up much of the house beyond to the point that the heat would not have to come on. I did enjoy being toasty warm for a little bit as long as I knew I could escape to the bedroom (where I kept the door closed and the window open, mostly, so it stayed nice and chilly).

I only wear sweaters occasionally, when it gets really cold, but otherwise pretty much live in long sleeved but fairly light tops during the winter. And as long as I am only going to be outside for long enough to get between my car and the store entrance, or something, I don't bother putting on a coat unless it's lower than about 15 degrees outside. If I'm taking a walk, I'll put on a light jacket when it gets to be about 35 or 40. Maybe just a little higher if it's cloudy, but certainly not if the sun is out. I just have so much more energy and enthusiasm when it's cold.

But now that he's re-retired, and back home once again, we never agree on the temperature of the house. As he gets older he seems to be more intolerant of the cold (his mom, back when she was still occasionally able to visit, used to wear a sweater, a jacket, and sit in front of the gas fireplace in the den much of the time, even during summer visits, because she couldn't bear anything under 85 without being bundled up), and I fear he will end up the same eventually. While I get more and more intolerant of cold, and get fretful in anything above 68 or so.

• Love 5

I'm in the southeast and we don't get too much super cold weather, but, in the winter when it is cold, I have learned to love scarves.   The softer, the better. I have found that they can really accessorize any outfit.  They just feel so nice and keep me warm.  It's sort of like a security blanket. lol

Update on my paper shredding issue: As it turns out, TIME may be the most important factor in the soaking method.  I waited 48 hours, instead of 24 and it appears the paper is actually breaking down pretty well.  I poured it out on a tarp on the ground for it to dry on a small slope, so the water runs off of it.   I'm going to inspect it a little later.  So, this is a feasible method, if you have the time, outdoor area and a large container. I have to figure out just how feasible it is to do large quantities, but, it is doable. So, for that I am grateful!  

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

The past couple of years, when Mr Jyn was working down in Virginia, I had control of the heat during the winter, and didn't use it at all upstairs except for a couple of "polar vortex" incidents, and the times that Mr Jyn was home for Christmas. I had the downstairs at 65, but also used the wood stove quite a bit, which would heat the living room, and warm up much of the house beyond to the point that the heat would not have to come on. I did enjoy being toasty warm for a little bit as long as I knew I could escape to the bedroom (where I kept the door closed and the window open, mostly, so it stayed nice and chilly).

I only wear sweaters occasionally, when it gets really cold, but otherwise pretty much live in long sleeved but fairly light tops during the winter. And as long as I am only going to be outside for long enough to get between my car and the store entrance, or something, I don't bother putting on a coat unless it's lower than about 15 degrees outside. If I'm taking a walk, I'll put on a light jacket when it gets to be about 35 or 40. Maybe just a little higher if it's cloudy, but certainly not if the sun is out. I just have so much more energy and enthusiasm when it's cold.

But now that he's re-retired, and back home once again, we never agree on the temperature of the house. As he gets older he seems to be more intolerant of the cold (his mom, back when she was still occasionally able to visit, used to wear a sweater, a jacket, and sit in front of the gas fireplace in the den much of the time, even during summer visits, because she couldn't bear anything under 85 without being bundled up), and I fear he will end up the same eventually. While I get more and more intolerant of cold, and get fretful in anything above 68 or so.

I am a total weather wimp.  The house I grew up in was an A frame with no insulation so I am used to a cold house.  If I could get an electric onesie I would be set!  I just hate having an electric bill over $100 so we rough it.  Well as rough as it can be in Santa Barbara.  HA!  Luckily Mr. Natalie is pretty flexible and is used to throwing on sweatshirts.  My sister is the same way you are.  LOVES the chilly weather.  She livens up when it is winter.

• Love 5

Last year, I picked up this little thing to make the room a little more cozy. (I have gas logs just in living room. Plus, I hate burning them.)  It doesn't add any real heat, but, it adds a warm glow to the room.  I like it so much, that I've considered getting a larger one!  I know, tacky maybe, but, I like it!

https://www.wayfair.com/Charlton-Home--Portable-LED-Fireplace-Plastic-Lantern-W001080585-L6125-K~W001080585.html?refid=GX294780880949-W001080585&device=c&ptid=623370647194&network=g&targetid=pla-623370647194&channel=GooglePLA&ireid=68261575&fdid=1817&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI18KlmNeP5QIVjp-fCh1uRADhEAQYAiABEgJR1_D_BwE

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Last year, I picked up this little thing to make the room a little more cozy. (I have gas logs just in living room. Plus, I hate burning them.)  It doesn't add any real heat, but, it adds a warm glow to the room.  I like it so much, that I've considered getting a larger one!  I know, tacky maybe, but, I like it!

https://www.wayfair.com/Charlton-Home--Portable-LED-Fireplace-Plastic-Lantern-W001080585-L6125-K~W001080585.html?refid=GX294780880949-W001080585&device=c&ptid=623370647194&network=g&targetid=pla-623370647194&channel=GooglePLA&ireid=68261575&fdid=1817&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI18KlmNeP5QIVjp-fCh1uRADhEAQYAiABEgJR1_D_BwE

My brother has an electric fireplace and loves it. He and his wife just use it in the room they watch tv in (which also gives some warmth to their kitchen and eating areas). It has kept their bill down because they don’t use the extra wing in their house (company rooms) or upstairs. 

• Love 2