Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

33 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I googled poodle rescue groups near me and a couple came up - in my area there is a good selection of poodles of various sizes and ages looking for a forever home.  So maybe google?

https://www.adoptapet.com/dog-adoption/search/50/miles/11219?is_family_specific=1&family_id=94&family_name=Poodle (Standard)

poodles 

34 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

@galaxychaser

Does:       Eternally Loved, Missed and Remembered

fit?

Yes 

I don’t know what to write

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I’m that person that feeds all stray cats, dogs, and the occasional fox in my neighborhood. Think of the bright side in this: you’ll never have mice.  The pregnant kitty could benefit from some kitchen chow now and after she has her babies. Not meaning to put you out, but you could buy that instead of adult cat food, and cheap stuff works fine too. They don’t care if it comes from the pet store or the dollar store.  The mom-to-be would also benefit from an old towel or blanket you no longer need for her kittens. They’ll need someplace warm.  I’ve had about fifty cats thanks to a super fertile cat I had as a kid.  I had to do this many times.  

So I just found out the homemade laundry detergent I’ve been using is from a Duggar recipe.  I don’t know if they ripped it off someone else (though I wouldn’t be surprised) or if it’s their own idea.  I hate to give them any kind of credit or accolades, but this stuff is a beast.  It works as good as Tide and Persil at a fraction of the cost. Anf ot tskes the smell out of anything. I guess they’re good for something afterall.   

Oh thanks!  I didn't think of any of that. I was just taking towels in off of the line and realized that some are coming apart on the edges.  I can leave them outside near the "cat house"?   They seem to have burrowed under our huge shed/barn thing that my husband built (it's a DYI fail).  My daughter realized that some are living up in the rafters of the shed too.  They are not scared of people and are all super pretty too.   Next Walmart trip, I will get them some kitten chow.  Should I put out water too?  (Oh lord, look at me starting another project!).  They are probably drinking from a stream nearby.  I never know if it's good or bad to feed wild animals.  I put out carrots for some animal that looks like a groundhog but probably isn't. 

@SunnyBeBe  My neighbor takes in strays and is a HUGE animal advocate.  She has an ASPCA license plate.   I will ask her if there is any way these kitties can be spayed or neutered.  It's a pretty large group out there!   I didn't think of the ASPCA at all.  I like animals but I'm not  "animal person" and would never have thought of that on my own.  I don't think I've even mentioned it to anyone other than here...I  just realized there are a lot of cat parents here!   Thanks for the good idea. 

@lookeyloo  Oooh, I would love an adult poodle!  I'm going to google and see what dog is put in my path!  Never thought of rescue poodles.

Well, i learned a lot today! 

• Love 6

@galaxychaser

On my mom's headstone, I used the word "cherish"   cherished mother, grandmother, sister, daughter type of thing.   I

t took me a year to do the engraving.  It had to be right. 

I love what you wrote!  I like Sew Sumi's suggestion of word order switch.

NYC is so expensive.  That is why I am way down here and drive ALL the way up there to work.  It can take me three hours in traffic or more.  I work a flexible schedule but still...there are days I must get there at 8am.

I'm sorry you are dealing with such poor repairs. 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 2

The local animal shelter where I live is asking people to be foster parents for kittens. I would love to do it, but I have no idea how Sassy would deal with a bunch of kittens in the house. I probably would get too attached to the kittens as soon as I took them home with me and would not be able to give them back to be adopted by other people.

I hope they know of someone who can help get them spayed and neutered.  If they aren't they continue to breed and multiple at an alarming rate. This can cause a lot of problems and they could end up getting captured and put down.   My cousin had a feral group in her neighborhood once and it was sad, because some of the kittens seemed physically and mentally disabled.  It may have been due to inbreeding with immediate siblings or malnutrition, but, something was not right with them.  If they can rescue the little kittens early enough and ensure they are tame, they may be adoptable. 

• Love 3

???

What a depressing visit to the PC.  But we all signed on to be the place to come for funny or for sad.  You guys know how long we’ve been doing this, right??  It must seem so strange to anyone else that we’ve been connected for so long!!  I do love you guys so much, and I hope one day if I ever evaporate, someone notices and says “she was a mess!”   [is that a total southern thing?  For it to be a compliment if we say “she’s a mess”?  Not like “slob” or “train wreck”.  For us, to say someone is a mess is to say (affectionately) “she’s sweetly silly”.  My Mama:  SHE was a mess].  I miss Arwen.  She was such a mess!

and although is seems irreverent to offer a sendoff for Arwen at the same time, on furbabies:  I have a completely, absolutely useless furball of a cocker who’s a bit small for the breed, even tho they aren’t large dogs.  While I’ve been down, this dog has been my 24 hr a day unmovable rock star.  He is the BEST.  Doesn’t bring me water, doesn’t fetch the remote, but is ALWAYS stuck to me like glue.  The big dogs come and go and like to be outdoors a part of every day.  Not my buddy boy.  He is wherever I am.  Follows me in the bathroom.  Sleeps on my feet (foot) at night.  Licks my plate after dinner.  Worthless but priceless.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, Marigold said:

Oh thanks!  I didn't think of any of that. I was just taking towels in off of the line and realized that some are coming apart on the edges.  I can leave them outside near the "cat house"?   They seem to have burrowed under our huge shed/barn thing that my husband built (it's a DYI fail).  My daughter realized that some are living up in the rafters of the shed too.  They are not scared of people and are all super pretty too.   Next Walmart trip, I will get them some kitten chow.  Should I put out water too?  (Oh lord, look at me starting another project!).  They are probably drinking from a stream nearby.  I never know if it's good or bad to feed wild animals.  I put out carrots for some animal that looks like a groundhog but probably isn't. 

You can put out a little water when you feed them if mosquitoes are not an issue in your area (west nile and all that jazz).  I bet you uthose cats were abandoned since there’s no way you’d get near a feral cat. They’ll appreciate the towels you leave out, and the food too. And don’t be surprised if you completely fall in love with the kittens.  They are absolutely adorable.

• Love 2

So a friend of mine had a baby today. They're describing the labor like the Duggars. She went into Labor in the early hours of yesterday, but didn't go to hospital until late last night. @doodlebug said I think you should only count the hours of active labor.  It was like when Jessa had Spurgeon, because she claimed she was in labor the day before.  Still my friend was in active labor for over twelve hours and thankfully came through it better than the Duggar sisters despite being ten years older. 

@Churchhoney I was excited to see your post especially with so much saddness. I find the Duggars a nice break from the news and politics.  I understand your point of view and am glad you're taking a needed break, but it's nice to hear from you. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

You can put out a little water when you feed them if mosquitoes are not an issue in your area (west nile and all that jazz).  I bet you uthose cats were abandoned since there’s no way you’d get near a feral cat. They’ll appreciate the towels you leave out, and the food too. And don’t be surprised if you completely fall in love with the kittens.  They are absolutely adorable.

I can't get too close but they very much enjoy watching us.  A few just sit and stare at us for long periods of time.  Maybe they recognize my daughter who puts out food?  They don't run when they see us but they do change their location. 

They have been under my shed/barn monstrosity for about a year now.  I was worried about them in the snow but once spring came, they popped right out and I think they multiplied their posse. I'm next to hundreds of acres of preserved land so I think they have found a food source. I don't have any mice but the snakes are still lurking around (very scared of snakes). 

I find them all over the place. On my picnic table in the sun, super early in the morning.   

Pretty cats too.  A bunch of gray ones. A few black and white.  I agree...those cats started out as a pet and then multiplied. Never thought of that either.  I have no cat knowledge but the gray ones with the bluish eyes?  Aren't they usually pets? I have real pretty fat cats living here! 

• Love 5
On 9/6/2018 at 3:28 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I hope they know of someone who can help get them spayed and neutered.  If they aren't they continue to breed and multiple at an alarming rate. This can cause a lot of problems and they could end up getting captured and put down.   My cousin had a feral group in her neighborhood once and it was sad, because some of the kittens seemed physically and mentally disabled.  It may have been due to inbreeding with immediate siblings or malnutrition, but, something was not right with them.  If they can rescue the little kittens early enough and ensure they are tame, they may be adoptable. 

Google "cat birth control".  There is a group somewhere, maybe PA, that has a formula for a concoction to put in the feral's food that stops conception.  It is a real thing.

Edited by CalicoKitty
conception and contraception are NOT the same.
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, jjane said:

@Readalot, so sorry to hear about your father and your own health problems. Bless you for taking care of your father. I know from experience how hard it can be when you have your own health issues. Please take care of yourself as much as you can. Full frontal hugs and prayers coming your way. Much love.

Hugs received, thank you! 

• Love 1
On 9/2/2018 at 7:03 PM, galaxychaser said:

Unusual names

Duff is the son of Lara Spencer 

twins named martrez and martrell 

Wait there is no a/c in Germany? Not even in hotels? 

No, air con anywhere ususally, except perhaps the odd big chain in some cities. Not in hospitals, or even shopping centres usually. That's what makes the new summers so bloody unbearable. I could manage the heat if I knew I could come home to a cool place.

Morning all:-)

• Love 5

Back to the mothers gravestone - you DO have to pay attention that the  wording.  Once it’s set, you’re stuck forever.  Luckily, my mom had a lifelong habit of arguing with whoever said they loved her.  No matter who it was, they’d say “I love you Granny” and she would respond with either “love you more” or “love you most”.  

On daddys “side” of the stone, we engraved his name and birthday.  We (the kids) wanted to add “beloved Joe” [before he left the Amish, he’d grown up as Joe.  They have a tendency to nickname every one, and as a child he’d been Joe, Joley, Joe-Joe and Harv’s Joe].  Although we all agreed on some dirivetive of his childhood name as a nod to the Amish, Mama was having no part of it.  Without spelling it out, we all non-verbally agreed to add Joe on after her death.

so we did.  Over her vital info, we put in script “love you most” and over his, “beloved Joe”.   It was a good decision and I’ve never regretted it.  Do think long and hard before you commit.  It‘ll bug you to no end if you aren’t fully committed to what you say.

• Love 8

@galaxychaser, how about something like: Ever Remembered, Ever Missed, Ever Loved. Unless I can't count, it comes in at 39. Maybe play around with the placement of the first two. I think loved needs to be at the end. I know it can be hard to condense your feelings for a parent into a few words. Hugs and prayers to you.

• Love 4

I swear I don't know what's happening with my family. Wasn't it just a little while ago I lost one of my cats now I am losing two more one she has cancer  and yes she is getting  chemotherapy and the other one I don't know how old she is but she is just about given up on life. I am beginning to think that my cats and  Colorado do not get along.

Edited by Rabbittron
Can't spell to save my life
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

I swear I don't know what's happening with my family. Wasn't it just a little while ago I lost one of my cats now I am losing two more one she has cancer  and yes she is getting  chemotherapy and the other one I don't know how old she is but she is just about given up on life. I am beginning to think that my cats and  Colorado do not get along.

{{{HUGS}}} @Rabbittron It is so hard when we know we are losing our animal family members.

I was talking to my mom about  a wedding I'm going to next weekend and my mom said to me when the Duggars have a wedding instead of saying you may now kiss the bride you should be saying you can now fuck. Because we know that is the only reason why they get married. 

• Love 21

@Marigold, are these feral cats? Sounds like it. I saw a reference to the ASPCA--are you in the NYC area? There are resources here for getting ferals neutered. If not, there are likely groups in your area too, if you want to let us know your general location. Young kittens can be socialized.

On 9/7/2018 at 3:40 PM, Rabbittron said:

I've had quite a few cats with cancer and on chemo. Let me know if you need any help or support, including with your other girl. 

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, LillyB said:

...and a woman who was named Shyanne.

My granddaughter's name is Shyanne. My daughter is dyslexic and spelled Cheyenne phonetically. She did the same with Domanick.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, LillyB said:

Re, odd names, when I worked for Social Services, I had a client who named her twins Chablis and Chardonnay and a woman who was named Shyanne.

True story:  When I was a resident back in the mid 80's, hospital volunteers passed out birth certificate forms for the new moms to fill out each morning.  I was making rounds one morning and a mom was puzzling over her form.  I asked her if she needed anything. 

New mom: "That volunteer didn't know how to spell my baby's name."

Me: "Don't YOU know how to spell your baby's name?"

New mom: blank stare

Me: "Ok, what's her name, I'll help you"

New mom: "Cheyenne" (very uncommon name at that time).

Me: "Like Wyoming?"  NM: blank stare

Me: "Like the Indian tribe?"  NM: another blank stare

Me:"OK, get your pencil. C-"

NM: "It starts with a C?"

Me: 'Yep. C-h-e-y-e-n-n-e"

NM: blank stare

I went back to the nurses' station where the Chief resident was doing some charting.  I told him, 'God help me, I just helped some lady name her kid Cheyenne.  She didn't know it started with a C, didn't know it was a town in Wyoming."  He replied, " Why didn't you do the kid a favor and tell her 'Cheyenne, M-a-r-y, Cheyenne?''

• Love 23
18 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

True story:  When I was a resident back in the mid 80's, hospital volunteers passed out birth certificate forms for the new moms to fill out each morning.  I was making rounds one morning and a mom was puzzling over her form.  I asked her if she needed anything. 

I went back to the nurses' station where the Chief resident was doing some charting.  I told him, 'God help me, I just helped some lady name her kid Cheyenne.  She didn't know it started with a C, didn't know it was a town in Wyoming."  He replied, " Why didn't you do the kid a favor and tell her 'Cheyenne, M-a-r-y, Cheyenne?''

When I was in foster care back in the 90s, one of the other kids in the house had a sister named Shyann. I overheard the foster parents being privately bewildered by it, and even as a 10 year old I was like, "Shouldn't that be Cheyenne?" 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 6

Went to Disney this weekend for eldest's birthday. We are semi-local so we go often, but if we're staying overnight, I make it a point to cut the cord and only use my phone for the Disney app, my camera function or texting hubby to figure out where he is, why he's still talking about Star Wars and where we can meet up. I ditch social media because it's Disney and I need a happy bubble. 

So I'm uploading pictures and what do I see on my facebook feed? The most ignorant political based commentary that I ever did see. And I know we can't talk politics here so I'm not even going to mention what it said, but oh my word, my Disney bubble has popped and I want to go back! 

6 more days until we drive over for the day pending Hurricane Florence and Hurricane Isaac and Hurricane Helene---Lord giveth me strength to get through 5 days without screaming at people! 

• Love 7
16 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I had a similar experience. On a quiet day in L&D,I was helping out on the post-partum unit by handing out the birth certificate forms. An 18 yr old mother told me she liked the name Carolina. I agreed that it was a pretty name,  but then she added that she might name the baby after the father. When I asked his name she said Rocky, and she would call the baby Rockalina.

I ran to the nurses station for reinforcements and several of us went back to her room to try to convince her to name the baby any name other than Rockalina. She said she’d talk it over with her boyfriend when he came to visit.

Rockalina is about 20 yrs. old now.( I hope she doesn’t read this forum).

• Love 9
37 minutes ago, bythelake said:

I had a similar experience. On a quiet day in L&D,I was helping out on the post-partum unit by handing out the birth certificate forms. An 18 yr old mother told me she liked the name Carolina. I agreed that it was a pretty name,  but then she added that she might name the baby after the father. When I asked his name she said Rocky, and she would call the baby Rockalina.

I ran to the nurses station for reinforcements and several of us went back to her room to try to convince her to name the baby any name other than Rockalina. She said she’d talk it over with her boyfriend when he came to visit.

Rockalina is about 20 yrs. old now.( I hope she doesn’t read this forum).

OMG she probably goes by Lina or Rocky.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, graefin said:

@Marigold, are these feral cats? Sounds like it. I saw a reference to the ASPCA--are you in the NYC area? There are resources here for getting ferals neutered. If not, there are likely groups in your area too, if you want to let us know your general location. Young kittens can be socialized.

I've had quite a few cats with cancer and on chemo. Let me know if you need any help or support, including with your other girl. 

Yes, they all seem to be a pack of feral cats.  I'm in NJ, far down in a more rural area.  There are huge woods here and they seem to have taken shelter in our DIY shed/barn thing.   They never cry or fight.  They are all fat and pleasant. We fed them during the snow and my daughter would check on them...apparently they were snuggled tight in our barn/shed monstrosity.  

I didn't really realize there were so many of them until the summer when they all appeared!  Now I'm a bit more concerned that they are obviously mating.  They started at about 3 and I think there about 8 to 10.  One black one likes to sleep on my step but scatters when I try to get near him.  The gray ones lounge around most of the day and watch us.  

I have an entertaining backyard, I guess?  

Does anyone know how cats and snakes get along.?   I AM PETRIFIED OF SNAKES, so please don't tell me anything too graphic.  I'm worried the snakes might get into the barn and harm the cats.  I'm hoping that the feral cats are bad ass and will kill the snakes.  Please tell me that is true!  

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Yes, they all seem to be a pack of feral cats.  I'm in NJ, far down in a more rural area.  There are huge woods here and they seem to have taken shelter in our DIY shed/barn thing.   They never cry or fight.  They are all fat and pleasant. We fed them during the snow and my daughter would check on them...apparently they were snuggled tight in our barn/shed monstrosity.  

I didn't really realize there were so many of them until the summer when they all appeared!  Now I'm a bit more concerned that they are obviously mating.  They started at about 3 and I think there about 8 to 10.  One black one likes to sleep on my step but scatters when I try to get near him.  The gray ones lounge around most of the day and watch us.  

I have an entertaining backyard, I guess?  

Does anyone know how cats and snakes get along.?   I AM PETRIFIED OF SNAKES, so please don't tell me anything too graphic.  I'm worried the snakes might get into the barn and harm the cats.  I'm hoping that the feral cats are bad ass and will kill the snakes.  Please tell me that is true!  

If you want to PM me your whereabouts, I can look for local TNR resources for you?

Your snakes are probably nonvenomous. Do you have any photos?

• Love 3

We have a boy cat, a rescue that we got when he was 3 months old.  He's a tuxedo kitty with long canines so of course he's named Dracula Vladimir.  He has a thing about hunting and has brought us numerous lizards and small snakes - luckily they have all been non-venemous.  Years ago we did have a male cat, also a tuxedo that tried to capture a copperhead snake.  Luckily at that time I worked for a vet and he survived just fine.  It's only when Dracula brings in his scaly presents and let them loose in the house that we have an issue.  Of course this is also the cat that brought in a live bat and let it loose as well.

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

OMG snakes are my phobia.  At my quilting group today the women were talking about when snakes got into houses and I almost left and thought if that happened to me I would have to move!!!!!!

I do not deal with snakes well. I was out walking my Westie and a garter (garden? Little one? Don’t know, don’t care). I was a mess. I wanted to burn the driveway. 

• Love 8

Unrelated to above topics, but wanted to vent. In a nutshell - listed house for sale, I had some good pics of house which I gave to realtor  and he posted. Realtor also shared listing on Facebook. A woman I do not know and who has no intention of buying house commented "how could you possibly prepare a meal in that kitchen?" I was livid. Realtor did come and took some different views of kitchen.. It isn't enough that people can come into your home and leave nasty feedback, but at least those comments are only seen by seller. We had planned to sell home earlier in year, but my husband had heart attack a few weeks ago. It has been 20 years since we sold a home and things sure have changed.

• Love 13

Wow, some of these posts are so relatable it's scary.

Dragon-our male tuxedo has long canines as well.  He has little vampire teeth that show.  He's the one that just showed up outside and proceeded to walk in the house and lay on the couch. 

And on the name front, I know a Shyanne.  Strangely enough, her brother is Dominick.  

I was hoping to jump in to see if there was any news about Arwen.  I hadn't been posting too long before she took her break, but I enjoyed her posts.  My thoughts are with her and her family.

• Love 4

Thought this was cute. From my cousin’s shower this weekend.

5DB99446-B123-4A63-9CDB-77F38609E79F.jpeg

1 hour ago, whydoiwatch said:

Unrelated to above topics, but wanted to vent. In a nutshell - listed house for sale, I had some good pics of house which I gave to realtor  and he posted. Realtor also shared listing on Facebook. A woman I do not know and who has no intention of buying house commented "how could you possibly prepare a meal in that kitchen?" I was livid. Realtor did come and took some different views of kitchen.. It isn't enough that people can come into your home and leave nasty feedback, but at least those comments are only seen by seller. We had planned to sell home earlier in year, but my husband had heart attack a few weeks ago. It has been 20 years since we sold a home and things sure have changed.

No clue why people do that! I hope your husband is having a good recovery.

• Love 4

... I just can't with those names. Rayne McCoy, Rawlings McClaine, and Rivers McCall sound like a band of cowboys from a bad bodice ripper, not names for little girls.

That said, not all names are weird on their own. I know someone whose last name is Walker and named their son Ryder. So the kid is Ryder Walker. I internally eyeroll every time I see it.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, sixlets said:

And on the name front, I know a Shyanne.  Strangely enough, her brother is Dominick.  

Oh God--that means there are 2 of them! The girl I knew of had 3 brothers. Their names, interestingly enough, were William, Jefferson, and Clinton. (It was Arkansas in the 90s.) I always notice when siblings' names seem mismatched, so I still wonder what possessed the parents to name their daughter that spelling when their boys had relatively common first names. 

• Love 3