Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Like the Grinch, my heart has grown two sizes lately and I am unable to snark, not even on the Duggars. 'Tis an odd feeling - perhaps it's Christmas cheer, or just all of the sugary treats I've eaten. I hope my snarking ability comes back in the new year. Happy holidays, y'all!

The snark is strong with us ptv snarkers. It's just taking a holiday break.
  • Love 4

I want to wish everyone a Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, a joyful time in however you celebrate this time of year. You have expanded the way I see things this year and I am grateful for that. Enjoy the time with your family, or if you are going to be alone this year as I am I hope you have a peaceful and joyful day.

• Love 9

Today while marathon Christmas cookie baking, I listened to TLC. With the exception of 19,KAC, and I Never Knew I Was Pregnant, I've not watched any other TLC, or reality shows.

It was a marathon of The Great Christmas Tree Fight. I was amazed at how similar the narrative and TH's were to the 19kids show. People saying bland things, over and over, like, "It was fun!"

One TH, of a man from Salt Lake City, looked exactly like John David Duggar!

Edited by louannems
  • Love 2
Lol! You nut :)

Aww, c'mon ! Can I have a real hug, please ?! I promise not to defraud you ;)

A very Merry Christmas to one and all ! Hope all of you have a happy, peaceful, stress-free holiday !

http://www.ldssmile.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/grumpy-cat-christmas-meme.jpg

Merry Christmas SP. You are honestly one of the high points in this forum and have given me many a laugh in 2015. Keep on keepin on , sistah!✊
  • Love 8

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all. My BIL returned home to today. TY to all who sent kind words.

I've been quiet lately, my son is real sick with multiple problems in a distant hospital.

Edited by BrianJ62
  • Love 7

10 pm xmas eve, and popping in to wish my witty PTV pals a merry christmas. Enjoy the day in whatever way suits you. :)

I'm just a little blue tonight, unexpectedly. I'm missing loved ones from Christmases long past, plus longing to have all my sons and grandchildren here to share the season. If you still have your parents, give them some extra love!

• Love 16

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all. My BIL returned home to today. TY to all who sent kind words.

I've been quiet lately, my son is real sick with multiple problems in a distant hospital.

Oh Brian. That has got to be the worst.  Sending healing thoughts and wishes for a good resolution.  Keep us posted.

• Love 6

I'm sorry to hear that Brian, I'll have a good thought for your son.  

We managed to get thru our X-mas Eve visit with grandma and an uncle, it was actually kind of nice.  My mother bailed on us, but I had been expecting that, so it was no surprise.  Spending all those bloody awful hours pouring thru old old pictures and assembling that photo book for my grandmother was well worth it, she really enjoyed it.  There's enough room to put in some more pictures so next time I go visit I'll bring some with and slip them in.  

Today though, we will go out for breakfast and then have a day to ourselves, maybe a movie.  I wish everyone here a peaceful and happy holiday. 

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Love 8

I am so sorry, I hope he gets better. It'a even harder then they are not near you.
  • Love 4

It's not always the age of someone who knows "everything". Remember Bloob is in his late 40s and he is sure he knows everything.

MOST people grow out of that, hopefully. I think.

Yes indeed, but he was BORN knowing that he knew everything. LOL - but no kidding too. And yes, it's been my experience that the 20-somethings definitely do outgrow this phase. At least, the more intelligent ones do. Sorry to say I've also known my share of 60-somethings who still believe they hold to keys to Life in their arthritic hands as well.

• Love 4

My area is getting hit with tornadoes tonight, it's pretty bad. My neighborhood is okay and power is still on, but areas east and southwest of me have significant damage and calls for mutual aid are going out. Prayers and good thoughts for people in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area tonight would be appreciated.

• Love 12

My area is getting hit with tornadoes tonight, it's pretty bad. My neighborhood is okay and power is still on, but areas east and southwest of me have significant damage and calls for mutual aid are going out. Prayers and good thoughts for people in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area tonight would be appreciated.

my niece just posted that they are feeling it get closer - she is north east a tiny bit from dallas.. my daughter in law has been in touch with me all day re: tornado waarning/watch/whatever...guess i need to call them. thanks for the update.

much later:  they are all fine. tornado barely missed both of their towns.

Edited by zoomama
  • Love 6

Fuckedy fuck, my post just disappeared on me when I clicked on something. Bah Humbug.

So again, I once read that Xmas ends in the US on 26th Dec when people go back to work? Does it? Here, we have Xmas eve, when we have pressies etc and then 2 Bank Holidays. Kids off school til about 6th January usually.

Shops don't really decorate now that I think of it, a bit perhaps, but they do start selling Xmas stuff around Mid September. Are there special sweets or cakes or something in the US that you only get for Christmas? We have plenty so here. And now they'll all be sold off at cut price.

Taking down tree etc before 6th Jan is soooooooooo bad juju ;-)))) I've never done it, ever. It's just tradition. Just as putting your tree up a day or two before Christmas eve would be, although the american influence is here now as well.

• Love 2

I try to take the decorations and tree down after New Years, usually the weekend after, though I'll slowly get stuff done during the week, too. I put it up about two weeks before, so around Dec 10. The outdoor lights might stay up (but not on) until the Spring, but that's because if it's cold, there's no way we're going out there. I know it's bad luck, but we live in MA and sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate for a while.

My grandparents used to put up their tree on Christmas Eve, but there's so much going on those two days--especially with cooking and wrapping--that I like to get the tree and decorations done beforehand.

• Love 2

My husband drives a school bus and is off this week, the kids will be back to school on the 4th.  Unfortunately he doesn't get paid for this week off, but I'm planning on keeping him busy.  I've got ham left over and am going to scout some easy casserole recipes online.  

We will leave the tree up for a couple of more weeks, I love having it up with the lights on and all the ornaments, probably my fave part of the holiday.  

This has been a week and a half of some wacky weather, no snow here in my part of the Midwest, but downstate had tornado warnings this past Friday.  Looks like Monday it's going to be icing up here, that's no fun.  Kitty litter in the car everybody!

• Love 1

Did anyone get any "neat" or "special" gifts this year? Or maybe something that wasn't so special.

Like I posted before, I don't know what to expect from my MIL, sometimes the gifts are nice & others, well....This year they fell into the latter. I know I sound like a disrespectful spoiled brat but I'm not & feel it is "the principle of the thing". My MIL in recent years has been giving me clothing that aren't my tastes (last year was the light green corduroy pants that didn't fit. I'm a larger woman & it's tricky for me to find pants that fit but really who buys pants for another woman, no matter what size?) She usually includes a gift receipt. This year's blouses didnt so I'm stuck. The other gift from her was a bath set from Bath & Body works which I'm sure wasn't cheap. Problem is I'm not a big fan of the scent. (Japanese cherry blossom if anyone is interested.) A little background on this: she gave me a bottle of lotion once with this scent. Being grateful, I said it was nice so for every occasion, I get a bottle or set of the lotion. No joke, I counted 8 unused bottles I have collected in about a years time, could be more. A person can only use so much hand&body lotion. The funny thing is I much prefer the Philosophy brand of body wash & lotion& their scents, which my nephew gave my MIL as a gift. I made a big to do about the Philosophy lotion with my SIL but don't think MIL picked up on it. Back to my main complaint, my SIL is same age as me but she is more fashion conscious so I think this intimidates MIL & she doesn't buy her much clothing, if any. Or it is just an accessory, like a scarf which I would much rather have. So as I'm unwrapping my lotion, I notice that SIL is unwrapping a cookbook that I would love to have had in place of lotion. MIL sister, my husband's aunt, also got a cookbook. I made a big to do over cookbook too but don't think MIL picked up on it either. My son said maybe SIL got cookbook cuz she loves to cook (me not as much but I still like cookbooks) I just wish MIL would realize that I may like something different than another set of lotion or clothes. She travels a lot & SIL & I used to get very nice jewelry from her trips but it's been a long time since she's done that. I don't want to involve my husband, he works out of state & he would just say "really". After all, he has a closetful of brand new golf balls that he got from her for every occasion. I think I may tell her the blouses don't fit & my sister suggested that I tell her I broke out in a rash from lotion. I know this is all rather petty & my son is getting tired of hearing me complain. Like I've said before, because of my RA, I use a wheelchair & walker & don't get out much, so I have to depend on others(my sister) to return the items. Why does she buy me a dressy blouse instead of a nice sweat shirt which I could use? And the fancy blouse is the same style as last year's just a different pattern. She even mentioned she thought this year's blouse was similar to last year's & I told her it was a different color. My son also got a jacket from her that he doesn't like. I just wish she would stop buying us clothes. My son noticed that his two cousins, who are same age as him, didn't get any clothes. Maybe she just doesn't like our clothes. I really need to let it go but you know sometimes there are things, no matter how trivial, that really get to you & this is one of mine. There is a "Part II - The house key," which involves her getting a key to our house, but that post will wait til another time. Thanks for letting me vent.

• Love 7

my niece just posted that they are feeling it get closer - she is north east a tiny bit from dallas.. my daughter in law has been in touch with me all day re: tornado waarning/watch/whatever...guess i need to call them. thanks for the update.

much later: they are all fine. tornado barely missed both of their towns.

EMMA,, ZOOMAMA, and others in the storms' path. Hoping you and your loved ones are all safe.

Edited by Love2dance
  • Love 5

I put up my tree on Thanksgiving day and take it down on new years day. I would leave it up till 12th night but I have new years day off and it is easier for me to do that day. I agree with ChurchHoney, a lot of people do not know much about the meaning of the transitions that we follow for Christmas.

I put up my tree on Thanksgiving day and take it down on new years day. I would leave it up till 12th night but I have new years day off and it is easier for me to do that day. I agree with ChurchHoney, a lot of people do not know much about the meaning of the transitions that we follow for Christmas.

That's my usual routine. Up during the Macy's parade and down during the Rose Parade.

Though I prefer it up 'til 12th night. Not necessarily for religious reasons but more because I just like looking at it! Lotsa' work for somewhat limited appreciation.

Barb23 - I totally understand.  You don't want to seem like an ungrateful twit, but yet getting as gifts things you are not going to use is just as pointless.  I think I would just be as unhonestly up front as you can and say to her that the blouses don't fit right, your son's jacket doesn't fit right, and to please pony up the receipts.  Heck, she may not have them anymore, these could have been gifts she got ages ago, which unfortunately won't help you out.  I think that's the easiest way to go, and maybe mention to her that next time she's out shopping for your son to get him XXX gift card, as paint it as something really special that he would like.  She doesn't sound mean, just somewhat offhandedly thoughtless.  

I had mentioned my mother bailed on X-mas Eve, which okay whatever (I love Clueless) but I was really kinda put out at her monetary gifts this year.  She got a shitload of help from myself and my husband this year, including backpay on her damned SS.  And I know what she's got now because I helped her figure out her ATM card...yes I guess I'm ungrateful.  I think about all those out there that have nothing and no families and feel ashamed of how I feel...but shit woman, pony up for your only fucking grandchild if no one else.  My husband has been trying to help me see this for years, their attitude of 'I'm your mother/father so you must do for me' shit, plus this year's extravaganza of family crap I think has just brought me to the light more.  I think you can still have a care for family, but don't have to put your whole soul out there on display for them to chop up like a carcass at the butcher shop.    

• Love 8

Munich, In America we come from many places at many different times.  For those of us who are 3rd and 4th generation American, our ancestors were probably coming here because they were dirt poor.  Their first years here, they probably did as well as could with tradition, but they probably didn't have a lot of tradition to start with.  For my Catholic ancestors, I think the church provided structure.  We know about Jan 6 and tend to observe that in the tree.  My mother's side were protestant probably, and she was so poor as a child she got an orange for Christmas present and they got to kill a chicken.  I don't know about her having a tree as a child.  She used to wear herself out providing decorations for us.  Timing changed depending on money and time available.  All of a sudden one year we had a tradition of getting the tree on Chrismas eve when we never did before.  But the trees were half price or less.  She had to work to support us, and the tree came down after New Year's as she went back to work, and we went back to school.  I did the Jan 6 at least thing, because I loved it.  But now this year I didn't decorate.  Except for a fake little thing with no balls or anything.  I have a lovely Christmas village but don't know where it is.  I never did the garland thing on furniture and tables.  It's dangerous for me to climb ladders (doc said whatever you do, don't ever fall) so no outdoor stuff.  We have various traditions in this country due to so many cultures, the vast difference in weather patterns, the difference in religious traditions or no religion, whatever, it's good.  Except for the Duggars.  They are just mean.

• Love 4

Barb, what I got for Chrstmas that is outstanding is the paperwork and the licenses with my dog's picture on them that make him a therapy dog officially, so now I can take him anyplace I damn please.  He already goes most places with me, but now he's official.

• Love 20

Wow, that's great news Micks Picks!  Congrats to you and your pooch!

Yeah, that prior post might be a little TMI, I had considered deleting it.  Can only hope that I've raised my child, when and if the time comes, to help me out of love, not duty or not because it's 'owed' to me or the husband.  

Ya know, I can't even imagine the Duggar house this X-mas...I'm sure there is a lot of talk of Baby Jesus, but there's never any joy behind it.  

• Love 2

Barb, what I got for Chrstmas that is outstanding is the paperwork and the licenses with my dog's picture on them that make him a therapy dog officially, so now I can take him anyplace I damn please.  He already goes most places with me, but now he's official.

YAY for you and your sweet doggie!

• Love 2

Regifting Fairy checking in...

My SIL does not eat sugar, is quite thin and exercises for hours each day belongs to a Warehouse store and this year gave me a 3lb container of chocolate covered raisins (which I do not need!) 

Meanwhile the biggest popcorn bucket ever was delivered to my friend's house (and she hates all holiday food gifts)

Luckily I know a woman that hoards people (only way to describe her revolving door household) so I delivered the snacks tonight!

• Love 3

I love Christmas even thought we don't do gifts for anyone over 18. We didn't even put a tree this year because my living/dining room looks like a fabric store threw up all over it since I'm making gifts. Yea Valentines Day gifts (that's my story).

I hate putting up a tree because I so hate taking it down, it's work and it depresses me. No tree works better. I did put a wreath on the front door.

I am Scrooge-lite I guess, so my best friend's sister told me. But she's slightly developmentally delayed but ouch.

• Love 4

I've heard of so many people this year that didn't decorate or dialed it way back, myself included. Because of my health & other reasons, this is our 3rd year of barely decorating & I'm getting used to it. Last year Mr. Barb gave me a Charlie Brown tree which I loved. MIL thought that was terrible & made us this gaudy foot tall tree I put on a table. My sister did light decorating this year, she couldn't get in the Christmas spirit after dealing with my niece & her friend's death at Thanksgiving. Maybe we should follow in MEchelle's foot steps & make banners. Who knows, maybe she'll start a trend.

Micks Picks - that's great about your dog & what a gift.

• Love 2

I've heard of so many people this year that didn't decorate or dialed it way back, myself included. Because of my health & other reasons, this is our 3rd year of barely decorating & I'm getting used to it. Last year Mr. Barb gave me a Charlie Brown tree which I loved. MIL thought that was terrible & made us this gaudy foot tall tree I put on a table. My sister did light decorating this year, she couldn't get in the Christmas spirit after dealing with my niece & her friend's death at Thanksgiving. Maybe we should follow in MEchelle's foot steps & make banners. Who knows, maybe she'll start a trend.

I know a lot of folks in the Northeast just had zero $%^&s to give on account of the weather not feeling Christmassy (which it totally didn't; I know I shouldn't complain about wearing shorts and flip flops on Christmas as it's always been a dream of mine, except that I want to do it at a tropical beach resort while Jingle Bells is played on a steel drum and I drink rum).  I traditionally don't feel Christmassy ever, as the holidays are a ton of stress.  I don't feel like decorating when I get home at 7:30 at night nor devoting a day out of my weekend when I could be sleeping or cleaning or having a social life to put lights up.  Trees are messy and require even more work, which I usually get stuck doing as I do all the heavy lifting in my house.  My sister and I work wonky schedules (she works 1-11:30 four days a week, I'm out of the house from 6 until 7:30 all week long) so I don't really want to spend the couple of hours we're both semi-coherent wrapping lights around trees or digging through boxes of decorations (because that's sooooo going to happen at midnight, right).  I am unapologetic about this.  Combine that with the fact that I usually have to go to my brother's at some point on the 25th, there's no big dinner at my house.  Instead I'm subjected to my brother's in-law's obnoxious personalities and terrible cooking (I know, I'm mean, but reheated ham and gummy turkey? C'mon.  I just ... can't.  Literally CAN NOT - I stop at Wawa on my way home and buy a sandwich to eat in the car).  So yeah, we don't even bother wrapping gifts anymore for each other.  We each buy two Santa sacks and put everything in there.  So much easier.  So much less mess.  

• Love 3

While eating Xmas dinner at my sister's, my niece asked why we weren't eating off of the Xmas dishes. My sister replied that it's been 3 yrs since she's used them & the box containing them has gotten pushed way back in their storage area. She thought it was funny that it took 3 years for someone to notice.

• Love 4

My stay-at-home Christmas was very peaceful and I only feel a little bit guilty.

I am thinking of leaving the lights, but not the ornaments, on my fake tree and stashing it in the corner in the basement for next year. I am just digging the minimalist/simplicity thing lately. Or maybe I'm just really really lazy.

I bought my house 13 years ago.  About a month before my first Christmas there a neighbor approached me about decorating for the holidays.  He claimed the whole street got together, rented a cherry picker and strung the lights.  There was a large mulberry tree in front of my house that they usually decorated.  A power line was run from my house. 

This neighbor is one of those people that never hears what you are saying.  He tends to turn your words into a negative statement.  I didn’t know this at the time.  I explained to him that with travel for work I was only home one day a week and I needed to spend that time preparing for the work week and taking care of my elderly aunt.  So I would not be able to participate in decorating.  Also, while I enjoy the lights, I do not typically celebrate the holidays.  I did say I would run a power line from the house if they wanted to put lights in the tree.  Somehow this got turned into I hate Christmas and everyone who celebrates it, I do not want any decorations anywhere near my home and I would tear down anything they put up.  The rumors of my hatred spread throughout our block. 

The next week, not aware of the rumors already spreading, I was talking to my next door neighbor (who is not part of the catty, let’s all hate Muffyn group) about the lights.  They had not decorated my tree.  For having supposedly had dozens of adults hanging lights and decorations, the street looked like some drunken chimps had a field day.  I was laughing with him about this mess when someone overheard us.  This solidified my position in the neighborhood as Scrooge. 

It took several years for things to calm down.  Many neighbors have come and gone, and I have learned to ignore the man across the street who started all of the nasty rumors.  However, this year I am having the house painted.  There is scaffolding out front.  It took everything I had to not decorate the scaffolding for Christmas, just to be as cantankerous as possible.  Missed my chance, but that’s okay.  I have painted the house bright pink.  That has the neighbors all flustered again.

• Love 11

Barb23 I know you have to rely on others but just an FYI Bath and Body Works will exchange scents for you with no receipt. I love BBW and usually gets gifts through the year but Im not a fan of the scents. In Nov I exchanged about ten items, lotions, shower gels and the fragrance bulbs with no problem. When my MIL was alive I had your same experiences with gifts. My FIL now gives us gift cards, although we get him lots of small useful and fun gifts for him to unwrap. 85% of my extended family are all JW so as far as gifts its our immediate family and a few friends for the most part. It's been about five years since hubby and I were able to give each other nice gifts. I got a new purse, wallet and a pair of earrings. So exciting! And I am a member of another social media group, we did a Secret Santa, just fun little gifts. My three were perfect and made me happy as a kid when I was opening them! Overall we had a fun holiday with our loved ones. the kids said it was the best Christmas ever so that is all that matters.

• Love 3

My kids are grown and i also have a grown stepdaughter and her bf who came over xmas day. I cooked the big meal, we all ate ourselves to obesity and then i got a fantastic wine buzz happening, so I would call that an awesome xmas in the bag.

Stepdaughter bought me one of those battery operated foot shavers that i can't stop playing with..my hooves look awesome!

Big plans for today. A shower, more leftovers, and more couch time with Netflix. I'm off this week, and have already reverted to my perfect sleep wake cycle of up till around two a.m. and sleep till ten a.m.

Gonna be SO screwed when it's time to go back to work.

All my fellow crime t.v. watchers: Make sure you check out Making a Murderer on Netflix. Quite the eye opening case!

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 8

Stepdaughter bought me one of those battery operated foot shavers that i can't stop playing with..my hooves look awesome!

Now that's the spirit. Most people would think that was a "gift of spite" but I love mine. Happy Buffing New Year!

• Love 6

I decorate like a mad woman for Christmas (I'm a happyfatchick, how could I NOT???). My kids would have me institutionalized if I didn't decorate. My "problem" is my creative self never stops going. I could just add this, or I could just do that... It never stops. I ALWAYS trick myself into thinking its productive because I can always use it again next year...but next year rolls around and my brain starts clicking. I usually try tO have everything in place by the weekend after thanksgiving because we have so many people in and out I just want it DONE.

I do 2 trees, one is in the mancave because it's bigger than the living room. It's always a Grizwald tree. A beast. This year I made the Frosty top hat and wound a scarf from the hat through the branches. It was waaaay too cute. I love it. Jaunty and sassy. The monster tree gets all my sentimental stuff collected over the years. The other tree is much smaller and sits in the dining room window facing the street. This year, I went through my computer and pulled out over 100 pics, made them 3x5 (approx) and fit 9 on a picture sheet. Had them printed at snapfish for $9.00. I cut them apart and mounted them on card stock. Not necessarily Christmas pics, just fun pics. I wound twine thru the branches and used little red clothes pins to hang the pics on the twine. This tree (usually ignored, because it's really only there to let people know we celebrate Christmas) was a HUGE hit. The kids and grands all toured around that tree and studied the pics. Good idea, mom!!

I've been at Mama's since 3 days before Christmas (one more night, the sitter is back tomorrow. WOOHOO!!!). I'm exhausted. It is incredibly hard to be her guardian 24 hours a day. Always alert, sleep with one eye open, have one ear cocked toward her all the time, worry, second guess myself, plus knowing the grands are nearby and I can't see them. And I will be free Wednesday (not free but not tied to that house) and will need to catch up on everything I haven't done in a week...so I doubt I'll have them Wednesday either. On top of that, my brother and SIL have birthdays in the next week and I want to take them out Friday, and Saturday I'm in charge of my (turning 8) granddaughters birthday skating party (because her parents are poor missionaries). Which means I have to show up with goody bags,red velvet cupcakes (with sprinkles please). (It does NOT mean happyfatgiggy will be wearing skates). Oh, and money. Bring money. And a gift.

WHEN can I catch a break???

Meanwhile, I'm home (relieved by my SIL) for a few hours,many I have a couple embroidery jobs waiting, clothes to wash, a shower to be taken, and every time I pass a Christmas decoration, I take it to the dining room table in preparation for packing it up. There's no way on EARTH I'd leave the decos up till January 6. I have been known to get them down Christmas afternoon. Once the party's over, I'm done. I want my house back.

Anyway, long cranky message from tiredfatchick. Christmas went as expected - my DIL making waves and stirring the pot, the SIL from hell getting the side eye. I need a haircut. I need to shave my legs. I need to wash some underwear. I need to sit on my fat ass and relax for a week. I need to read a book. (Apparently, I needed to vent!).

Much love to all, and CONGRATS, MicksPicks, on the service dog cert! That is wonderful news!

• Love 7