Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I'm far from innocent :-) I lived in Northern Ireland at a time when bombs were a reality and I've been in bombs scares. In comparsion, Germany and Munich are lalaland......Munich's exceptionally safe (up until now), laughably so, so you may fare well with your open door......

Quite like the dog with a business attitude:-))) Is that a trademark yet?

Pork's very bavarian, they can't do without it here at all. I'm a veggie so..

Sauerkraut with pineapple and cheese, baked in the oven comes highly recommended, if you're not a huge fan usually.

• Love 2

Pork's very bavarian, they can't do without it here at all. I'm a veggie so..

Sauerkraut with pineapple and cheese, baked in the oven comes highly recommended, if you're not a huge fan usually.

I do like sauerkraut but this intrigues me. What kind of cheese do you use?

We've some fairly funky traditions in Germany though, from the fireworks to special Berliners (donuts to you)

I love this ! Reminds me of a bit from the great comedian Eddie Izzard who tells the story of our beloved President John F. Kennedy in his famous speech making a small error in his German translation and, instead of saying "I am a Berliner !" to indicate his solidarity with the people of the city, he says "Ich bin ein Berliner...!"

Literally - "I am a donut !"

ETA: The donut thing is a joke, and not technically true, but it's still funny, y'all. Gotta love Eddie Izzard !!!

Edited by SomePity1066
  • Love 3

CAKE OR DEATH!

Death, please. Wait, no, no...cake ! I meant cake !

We're the Eddie Izzard Fan Club here !!!

I'm just starting Round Two of New Year's Day eating, which basically lasts all day, with nap breaks, of course. Pork roast, mashed potatoes and gravy, sauerkraut, kolbassi, and a traditional "Pretzel Cake" which is just regular white cake with a glaze frosting, but shaped like a giant pretzel. I don't know the origin but we eat it here in SomePity City for good luck.

Oh, and watching the Syfy Channel Twilight Zone marathon ! I LOVE that Rod Serling is actually smoking while he's introducing each episode - that's just so 60s... 

• Love 3

Death, please. Wait, no, no...cake ! I meant cake !

We're the Eddie Izzard Fan Club here !!!

I'm just starting Round Two of New Year's Day eating, which basically lasts all day, with nap breaks, of course. Pork roast, mashed potatoes and gravy, sauerkraut, kolbassi, and a traditional "Pretzel Cake" which is just regular white cake with a glaze frosting, but shaped like a giant pretzel. I don't know the origin but we eat it here in SomePity City for good luck.

Oh, and watching the Syfy Channel Twilight Zone marathon ! I LOVE that Rod Serling is actually smoking while he's introducing each episode - that's just so 60s... 

I've been watching the Twilight Zone marathon too - and had the same exact thoughts about Rod and his cigarette. It was both odd, and nostalgic, to see him smoking. We really love Rod in these parts - he's a favorite son. He was born in Syracuse and died right here in Rochester, and he and his family had a summer place for years on Cayuga Lake. He's definitely considered a hometown boy. 

• Love 3

I do like sauerkraut but this intrigues me. What kind of cheese do you use?

I use either mature Gouda or Cheddar. It's so yummy. Only thing is, you may, ahem, not be terribly sociable to people for a while due to the gassy nature of the kraut.....it's so easy to make, just throw in the kraut, previously cooked for a minute or two with some sugar and pineapple (use sweetened pineapple for this), and throw lots of cheese on top.

Sauerkraut cooked with some cream is actually really nice too.  Gives a melt-in-the-mouth texture.

I had to look up Kolbassi, since I've never heard of it. What's white cake?

Re Berliners, depending on where you're from, they are either Berliners (I've just scoffed one), Pfannkuchen (which is actually a pancake) or here, in the South, Krapfen.

We're heading towards the Carnival seasons finale (just before Easter) now, where traditionally, there are looooooooads of different filled donuts available you only get then. Droooooooooooooooool

• Love 3

A little change of topic.  I know I shouldn't complain because there are many much worse off.  We moved into this house about 3.5 weeks ago.  Bought it in June.  Had home inspection.  Son managed some work being done.  In and out over the months.  All this time HVAC worked fine.  On list to call place that had been servicing it.  woke up this morning freezing.  Of course coldest day so far this year.  First called the people who have been servicing it.  Can't come til Monday.  We have a home warranty.  After much calling they managed to find someone who said he would come out today.  Called just a while ago and he is "on the way".  I'll believe it when I see it.  Whine Whine Whine.  We can always go to my son's house but I don't want to.  Whine Whine Whine.  I feel embarrassed even writing this.  Somebody knock some sense into me.  We aren't hungry.  We have options.

• Love 4

That's a big deal lookeyloo!  No need to worry about the whine...this is just the place for it.  I have cheese to go with your whine, if you'd like.  I think as long as it's not self destructive or overly destructive to others the complaint department should be open for service 24/7.  Our furnace went out a couple of years ago and it was a long long cold day here in the house til the landlord could get someone out to replace the motor, it was killed.  One of the coldest days of February to boot.  Happens to all of us.  Let's hope it's something simple.

• Love 6

And I have wine for your whine, lookyloo

Seriously - that IS a big deal, especially since you just bought the house, and it's cold and getting colder. I would be the bitchiest, most complaining person of the face of the planet if that was me, so please feel free to vent. 

When my furnace went out four years ago in the house I shared with my (now ex) husband I gave up immediately and went to a hotel with my two doggies who simply could not, by their size and constitutions, withstand the cold. Also, I am a princess and wanted to leave  ;)

I hope the furnace person shows up before I'm even done typing this ! Sending warm hugs and cold Pinot Grigio your way...

• Love 4

A little change of topic.  I know I shouldn't complain because there are many much worse off.  We moved into this house about 3.5 weeks ago.  Bought it in June.  Had home inspection.  Son managed some work being done.  In and out over the months.  All this time HVAC worked fine.  On list to call place that had been servicing it.  woke up this morning freezing.  Of course coldest day so far this year.  First called the people who have been servicing it.  Can't come til Monday.  We have a home warranty.  After much calling they managed to find someone who said he would come out today.  Called just a while ago and he is "on the way".  I'll believe it when I see it.  Whine Whine Whine.  We can always go to my son's house but I don't want to.  Whine Whine Whine.  I feel embarrassed even writing this.  Somebody knock some sense into me.  We aren't hungry.  We have options.

I'd be whining too.

• Love 3

Update - emergency crew did show up and determined the system was filthy and shuts itself off under those conditions.  they cleaned it and so far it works.  I did have a big glass of Pinot Grigio and now we have gumbo heating, rice cooking, and cornbread in the oven.  I appreciate the commiserative whines!!!!

• Love 14

I would have gone with either electric or propane, but either way I'm so happy you have wine and heat !!!   ;)

I do have an electric radiator in the kitchen and a space heater in the bedroom.  Didn't really help all that much unless I was right on top of one of them.

• Love 2

Lookeyloo - I'm sorry but I was joking ! I meant that the sentence made it look like you had gumbo powered heating ! Like gumbo was making your house warm...

Funny/not funny - my bad  :(

that is too funny!  Now I see!  Just about to eat.  

• Love 1

I live in NC and the past month has been ridiculously hot and rainy.  The hot is fine; the rain ehhh.  New Years Eve my sump pump decided to die.  Had about 4 inches of water in the basement.  Lucky for us Home Depot was still open and we did a quick replacement (we've gotten good at this over the years).  This pump lasted a grand total of 24 hours before conking out.  Of course it died after Home Depot closed.  So this morning we returned the defective pump and installed a new one.  Had another 4 inches of water in the basement to deal with.  Fun times.  I am currently drinking Chardonnay.  No cheese but plenty of whine to share.  :-)

Edited by Ownedbydogs
  • Love 9

Lookyloo, glad things worked out! When we moved into our 100+ year old house, the creaky old-school gas furnace was on its last legs (this was disclosed, but heck, we never thought it would die in days!). We moved in in February, and as we were settling in, it kept going out and someone would have to come & go under the house (crawlspace) and light the pilot. This happened several times, and "the guy" couldn't always come right away. That ended up being an unusually cold winter for north MS...it snowed. We & our animals ended up living upstairs for a week or so, it was about 50 degrees downstairs. We were new in town and didn't know anyone, so had to tough it out. That spring, we splurged and got a monster all-in-one (thank you, energy efficiency tax credit!). Wishing you could share that gumbo, sounds yummy!

• Love 2

Gosh Liz Tudor. That sounds awful. Would share the gumbo. There is a lot more in the freezer. It was very good.

Ownedbydogs- we have never had a sump pump although in this house in the basement there is a place one could go we think. One day will call an "expert" to see what's what.

• Love 4

We are up in the hill country of Texas at my in-law's weekend house for the holiday with 12 people staying here. Yes, it is as hoity toity as it sounds. It got cold and rainy for up here and one of the HVAC units stopped working the day before everyone arrived. The in-laws freak out when there is the least amount of cosmetic damage to anything. They call someone to come right out and fix it. They had an AC company come out and look at it and declared that they needed an entire new unit. It is only 7 years old. The guy then told him he would send out a comfort analyst the next day. COMFORT ANALYST. How hilarious is that title? The comfort analyst is a slick salesman that convinces you to buy the most expensive unit they offer apparently. We spent one night in this house without heat and let me tell you, it was the most comfortable night sleep here of my life. They keep it on high broil at all times upstairs.

Anyway, so the comfort analyst comes out the next day and they start installing the unit that afternoon and finished up the next day. It was the most amazing service I had ever seen, but from the slick presentation I was eavesdropping and heard, he paid out the ass for it. My in-laws have no dollars or sense, but they want everyone to think they have this perfect life and they are in debt, debt, debt. It is all a house of cards. He is 75 years old and cannot retire. They are tip toeing into turning this place into a bed and breakfast and renting out on dates when we are not here, which is a lot. Their close neighbor has asked if they would rent to their adult daughter/husband/friends for a week in February. Each sibling (3) has their own bedroom with a full bath and we have all of our personal belongings in there. No one bothered to tell us this was happening, I just overheard that it was. Uh, maybe you should let us know so people are aren't using my hairdryer, shampoo, q-tips, medicine etc. and people have space for their things in the closet and dresser? The siblings all furnished the rooms with our own art, furniture, decor, and bedding. I understand that financially it has come to this for them, but sheesh. I am pretty sure it was not mentioned because that would be embarrassing for them.

I break out into a cold sweat when I forget to pay a bill. I cannot imagine this ponzi scheme lifestyle they lead, I would have to be taking xanax everyday from the anxiety of it all. And I know lots of people live paycheck to paycheck through no fault of their own, but this is entirely of their own making.

Edited by XinaMarie
  • Love 7

And I have wine for your whine, lookyloo !

Seriously - that IS a big deal, especially since you just bought the house, and it's cold and getting colder. I would be the bitchiest, most complaining person of the face of the planet if that was me, so please feel free to vent.

When my furnace went out four years ago in the house I shared with my (now ex) husband I gave up immediately and went to a hotel with my two doggies who simply could not, by their size and constitutions, withstand the cold. Also, I am a princess and wanted to leave ;)

I hope the furnace person shows up before I'm even done typing this ! Sending warm hugs and cold Pinot Grigio your way...

As if i couldn't feel the invisible thread already. .you mention the pinot..and it is sealed. Ha! Sistah from another mistah ;)
  • Love 1

I hope it all works out for your family.  Sometimes it's easier to see from afar, but I'm guessing there is a lot of pain in the house and a lot of shame that can't be overcome at this point, even though that would help them. At least it's only the weekend house....I assume they are stable in their home otherwise. All the best to you and yours for a good resolution, family strife can be awful, especially when folks can't find a way to talk about the root of it all.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 3

As if i couldn't feel the invisible thread already. .you mention the pinot..and it is sealed. Ha! Sistah from another mistah ;)

Nope, MarysWetBar - I'm a sistah from another vintnah !!! From my thread to yours Happy New Year ! 

XtinaMarie - Oh, my ! You have my every sympathy, believe me.  You had me at Comfort Analyst - I'm only surprised that he wasn't also an Aesthetics Ambassador ! I wish you the best, and hope that the ersatz B&B visitors aren't pawing through your things. That just gives me the squickies. I glad you were able to get at least one good night's sleep when it wasn't like a rain forest in Borneo with the heat ! What is it with in-laws and the boiling lava thermostat settings ?!

OwnedByDogs - I love your name ! Aren't we all owned by dogs ? You should put yours in your avatar as I did for my monstrous goofball - he who shall not be named REFUSED to go out tonight because of the rain so now I'm up at three-freaking-AM waiting for him to finally "go" so I can get to bed. I'm being held hostage by a dog ! And I'm sorry about your sump pump. I'm imagining you standing in water wearing hip-waders with a glass of Chardonnay in a very delicate piece of stemware... ;)

Not sure I should put this here, or anywhere, but there were some, ummm... commenting gymnastics on the "regular" board tonight, and it made me very, very, very uncomfortable. I felt stuck - unable to "like" anything, or make a comment myself, for fear of making it worse, so I just logged off. I came back to what was obviously a bunch of deleted posts, and a community that's trying to regroup by throwing out the most innocuous things possible trying to get the thread started again. I wanted to post "I like soup. I wonder if the Duggars like soup...?"

Please feel free to PM me if you felt the same way - I don't want to make a big deal, or any deal out of this, so I'm trying to go soto voce if all all possible... 

• Love 5

BOARDS ON BOARDS!! I'm telling.

I always miss the good stuff.

I'll turn this car around RIGHT NOW if you kids don't behave !!! 

Anyhoo...  ;)

So my neighbor with the Cujo-like dog that I've described here before as unsocialized, untrained, and a bloodthirsty death magnet has been at it again, and I'm TERRIFIED. The dog has now taken to lunging at the windows when I'm in the shared backyard (I'm in a little townhouse set-up with one BIG yard in back) and it's only a matter of time before she finally just breaks the hell through, so no more going out back, I guess. 

That leaves me with walking my beloved goofball on the street, which is fine, but I've run into the neighbor twice in the last week while she was walking the Devil Dog, and she could barely contain the damn thing while I scurried away, afraid for my life and that of my dog. The neighbor is just shy of five feet and weighs about ninety pounds, so it's just a matter of time, again, before she gets away from her and comes to rip us to shreds. I'm telling y'all, this dog is the meanest, scariest damn thing I've ever seen in my life. 

I have mace with me, and now also BEAR spray that I bought online, my cell phone pre-dialed to 911, a whistle, and a big, heavy police flashlight, but I have the feeling that it's all going to be absolutely useless if I'm faced with the reality of that snarling, growling, lunging beast coming at me. I can't just not walk my dog, and I feel like a prisoner in my own house. My roommate/ex-boyfriend (that's another story !) is six-five and 240 pounds and he's scared to death as well ! 

Any advice, you guys ?  I don't want to make waves with the neighbor (I'm terribly afraid of that) but I'm gonna look pretty silly for keeping my mouth shut if her dog kills me, right... ? 

• Love 3

This reminds me of the San Francisco dog mauling case that Kimberly Guilfoil was a part of on the prosecutor's team. Those dogs were a menace on numerous occasions and the owner did not have control of them. The owner ended up on murder charges.

Do you have animal control in your area or an HOA? Those might be good places to start with. It is not fair that you have to live in terror.

My parents live in a neighborhood and part of the country where leash laws are not taken very seriously. But animal control was called several times when the dog would get out of the back yard into my parents' yard and terrorize the kids and other dogs. My BIL had to punch the dog in the face to keep it away.

The only difference between these scenario and yours is that they are inside and she does leash him. They may not be able to do anything.

Oh, oh, oh! My sister lived in an apartment complex with someone who got early release for murdering his girlfriend by strangling her with a telephone cord. And he had a big, mean, nasty dog that would growl at her dog whenever they were around each other. You think she ever uttered a peep? She just steered clear until they could move away.

Ever seen those Fear Thy Neighbor shows? If I had the means to move, I would.

Edited by XinaMarie
  • Love 4

Did the neighbor say anything to you when she was trying to control the hell beast? We have some neighbors down the street who moved in a few months ago and their two giant dogs have broken a front window at least three times now--I was a witness once and my dog and I took off before they came through the glass. It's a lab and a Great Dane and they just throw themselves at the window, barking like mad. It's terrifying. I think they've been relegated to the backyard now because the husband was PISSED they broke the window so much. I hate pet owners who can't or don't control their animals.

• Love 4

I still do not post a lot since seashell wanderwomen and others scam. To make matters worse seems Brulsa And Wok Chop have moved on

I'm still here. I've always been more of a lurker. I hope you will soon feel comfortable posting again. Besides the inevitable bad apples, this is a great group of people.

And since I have popped out of my den (of iniquity!!!!!!!!), I wish everyone here a happy and healthy new year!

• Love 17

I'm still here. I've always been more of a lurker. I hope you will soon feel comfortable posting again. Besides the inevitable bad apples, this is a great group of people.

And since I have popped out of my den (of iniquity!!!!!!!!), I wish everyone here a happy and healthy new year!

I thought there was a simple disagreement about the direction this thread had taken. Not a matter of the "inevitable bad apples".

ETA quote after page jump.

Edited by NewDigs

Thank you, guys ! You're all so very kind to respond...

We do have a property management company that handles these kinds of things, but I've hesitated to call them because I really don't want to be "that guy", but if it comes to it I will pick up the phone. It's just so uncomfortable to think about actually doing that - these are practically the only pet-friendly rental town homes in my city, and I was grateful to find it available - but I'm sure that won't matter if the Hound from Hell rips my face off. 

Oh, the errant pet owner didn't say a thing - she was far too busy trying to control the beast to choke out anything, but she's been avoiding me ever since. I know she feels bad - I could see it on her face - but her feelings don't exactly translate to me being safe on my own front porch.

Thanks again, and I'll keep you guys posted  :)

• Love 4

hi all. getting ready for 5 straight days of measurable rain here. i so love rainy days when i can stay in and just watch/listen. i dont have many things scheduled this week thankfully.

new dog is settling in pretty well. we have grown pretty attached to her...not sure the other dog has yet. they are both sick with kennel cough right now.

dinner at spaghetti factory tonight, diet regrouping and starting again tomorrow.  ugh.

• Love 3

Is anyone else having problems with this site on a mobile device? I've got an iPhone and if I'm looking at this site on my phone, when I click on the forum topic, it will start going to the page, but then redirect to a mobileclick add thing - currently for Uber. This is the only site I'm having issues with, but I don't want to report it as a bug if I'm the only one, because if it's specific to me, there's no point.

I thought there was a simple disagreement about the direction this thread had taken. Not a matter of the "inevitable bad apples".

ETA quote after page jump.

I am not sure what disagreement you are referring to. My post was in response to amitville saying she does not post much anymore because of the two specific posters she named in her post.

• Love 2

Is anyone else having problems with this site on a mobile device? I've got an iPhone and if I'm looking at this site on my phone, when I click on the forum topic, it will start going to the page, but then redirect to a mobileclick add thing - currently for Uber. This is the only site I'm having issues with, but I don't want to report it as a bug if I'm the only one, because if it's specific to me, there's no point.

It has been reported to the bug thread, and David Cole is working on it. Apparently only affects mobile devices, but many forums besides just ours. It is a total pain. The back button often works.

• Love 1

It has been reported to the bug thread, and David Cole is working on it. Apparently only affects mobile devices, but many forums besides just ours. It is a total pain. The back button often works.

Thanks for the info!

• Love 1

Thank you, guys ! You're all so very kind to respond...

We do have a property management company that handles these kinds of things, but I've hesitated to call them because I really don't want to be "that guy", but if it comes to it I will pick up the phone. It's just so uncomfortable to think about actually doing that - these are practically the only pet-friendly rental town homes in my city, and I was grateful to find it available - but I'm sure that won't matter if the Hound from Hell rips my face off. 

Oh, the errant pet owner didn't say a thing - she was far too busy trying to control the beast to choke out anything, but she's been avoiding me ever since. I know she feels bad - I could see it on her face - but her feelings don't exactly translate to me being safe on my own front porch.

Thanks again, and I'll keep you guys posted  :)

SOMEPITY, so sorry you are going through this and feel like a prisoner in your own home. I think you should report it to property management, if nothing else to have it on record that this is an ongoing problem in case something else happens. I think you should also keep a record of what has happened. Not a lawyer, or anything, but it seems this may help you, if needed. It is really a scary situation. Ugh and hugs.

• Love 4

I use an iPad and iPhone for this site and don't have the problem.  I did install a free ad blocker on both devices because the jumping ads on another forum were driving me batty.  That solved the problem.  Not sure if this is the same thing, but maybe try that?  I used  NeverAds.

• Love 2