Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

aww I guess it's your sisters way of showing she cares. - yeah I hate going to the dr. too. It has to be pretty bad for me to take meds since they either don't work or I have side effects. I'm feeling better now. I laid down with a heating pad. The tightness is moving lower. Which is a good thing, I need to dial into a clients and do some after hours work for a few hours. Otherwise I probably would of went to bed! I will take some more ibuprofen before I hit the sack. Another sign of getting old? Ugh. that will work! I'm in!

Glad you're feeling better. My mother will be happy to hear your heating pad helped. That's her cure-all for everything including just being cold.

Regarding David Bowie - I didn't think I was into his music much until my son started naming his songs last night. I kept saying "oh, I like that one" over & over. My favorite being Changes. I remember it from the Shrek movie. When my son texted me that Bowie died, he added "remember Changes from Shrek?" I think a small piece of his childhood died.

• Love 4

Hang in there, lookeyloo. It took me years to find a good thyroid doc and she's not an endo, she's a former gyno.

My pcp is convinced I'm hyper because she only runs my TSH during my annual wellness exams. She called me in a panic last year, all "stop your thyroid meds immediately, you're dangerously hyperthyroid!!". I was like, "well, I have no thyroid, stopping my meds would kill me. Why do you think I'm hyper?". Turns out my TSH is low, which is what happens naturally on Armour and other NDTs, but she didn't know that. How is it I know more about thyroids than a doctor with a medical degree??

• Love 2

Hang in there, lookeyloo. It took me years to find a good thyroid doc and she's not an endo, she's a former gyno.

My pcp is convinced I'm hyper because she only runs my TSH during my annual wellness exams. She called me in a panic last year, all "stop your thyroid meds immediately, you're dangerously hyperthyroid!!". I was like, "well, I have no thyroid, stopping my meds would kill me. Why do you think I'm hyper?". Turns out my TSH is low, which is what happens naturally on Armour and other NDTs, but she didn't know that. How is it I know more about thyroids than a doctor with a medical degree??

Isn't that so annoying when we know more than the doctors?  I don't expect every doctor to know everything about every condition, but, to at least have some basic knowledge.  I think some of them are driven by the drug reps. because they don't have time to sit on the computer like I do.  My TSH runs low to 0.  they say that it is "normal" for me.  So we'll see how the new endocrinologist addresses it.

• Love 1

Hang in there, lookeyloo. It took me years to find a good thyroid doc and she's not an endo, she's a former gyno.

I feel like it's a lose/lose situation. As soon as (most) doctors figures out you know more they get defensive. I having to manipulate conversations to pad their ego. - A few days ago my 17 year old had her six month dental check up. The hygenist said "have you talked to dr X about your double Uvula? Has he talked to you about it? 1) please note on the chart she was here six months ago 2) do you think the double uvula developed in the last six months? 3) WHILE YOU HAVE BEEN IN HER MOUTH FOR 30 MINUTES did you happen to notice surgical scars? Like maybe she had cleft palate surgery and double uvulas are common? I don't know but maybe dental hygenist are not taught about cleft palates/ cleft lips? - Last month - seeing a pediatric general surgeon for an unrelated issue as he is reviewing the chart "wow X, looking at you I would have no idea that you had a cleft palate. (I'm thinking NO SHIT SHERLOCK YOU HAVENT LOOKED IN HER MOUTH THAT IS WHY YOU WOULD NOT HAVE KNOWN). I'm ok with the general public not knowing the difference between a cleft palate and a cleft lip, but a surgeon? And in other instances, cardiologists, neurologists, GP, ER docs. My daughter is a respectfulkid but the second they are out the dr she rolls her eyes. We heard it a million times. And one time I went to an ENT that said he had EDS and proceeded to argue with me that my daughter didn't have it. (He has never seen her) And he didn't even know what Type he had. I have not gone back to him.

Yes to hearing about Bowie. Such an original and will be missed very much.

Re Golden Globes. I have a lot of dirt on the Revenant, the Director AND Mr DiCaprio. Youngest worked on it.

I don't suppose you want to dish a little. 

My fave Bowie songs

And the defunct Australian credit card Bankcard is in both. I remember the "Bankcard accepted" signs, never actually saw an actual Bankcard.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1

I'm reading and enjoying your posts, as usual.  I haven't posted much because I don't really have much to say.  I don't want the end of my marriage to be the most interesting thing about me, you know?  However, I did notice today that my EE (eventual ex) is looking kind of rough--he's got HUGE bags under his eyes, and there are really dark circles, too.  He must be spending too much of his sleep time texting his newfound love.

Tomorrow I start as assistant coach of my school's track club.  I may have mentioned that this is especially hilarious because I can't run from here to here, never mind here to there.  Still, I'm looking forward to it as a new experience.

Trying to learn my lines for Almost, Maine.  It's harder than I remember because the playwright uses a LOT of repetition, so a lot of my lines are remarkably similar if not downright identical.  I'm having fun, though, so I don't care.

I'm having an In Memoriam screening of Labyrinth tonight in honor of David Bowie's death.  I might re-watch The Prestige just to see him as Tesla, although I find that movie hard to watch.  Listened to "Major Tom" several times, and rewatched my clip of DB singing "Peace on Earth" while Bing Crosby sings "The Little Drummer Boy."

• Love 12

My fave Bowie songs

http://youtu.be/N4d7Wp9kKjA

http://youtu.be/E_8IXx4tsus

And the defunct Australian credit card Bankcard is in both. I remember the "Bankcard accepted" signs, never actually saw an actual Bankcard.

. My two favorite songs too. My BFF and I are having a hard time dealing with his death, not sure why. Did you see Conan's tribute? http://youtu.be/P4d8QrRJvsE also check out this...vocals only of Under Pressure. http://www.queerty.com/rip-david-bowie-heres-his-isolated-vocal-track-from-under-pressure-with-freddie-mercury-20160111 Edited by Readalot

I'm reading and enjoying your posts, as usual.  I haven't posted much because I don't really have much to say.  I don't want the end of my marriage to be the most interesting thing about me, you know?  However, I did notice today that my EE (eventual ex) is looking kind of rough--he's got HUGE bags under his eyes, and there are really dark circles, too.  He must be spending too much of his sleep time texting his newfound love.

Tomorrow I start as assistant coach of my school's track club.  I may have mentioned that this is especially hilarious because I can't run from here to here, never mind here to there.  Still, I'm looking forward to it as a new experience.

Trying to learn my lines for Almost, Maine.  It's harder than I remember because the playwright uses a LOT of repetition, so a lot of my lines are remarkably similar if not downright identical.  I'm having fun, though, so I don't care.

I'm having an In Memoriam screening of Labyrinth tonight in honor of David Bowie's death.  I might re-watch The Prestige just to see him as Tesla, although I find that movie hard to watch.  Listened to "Major Tom" several times, and rewatched my clip of DB singing "Peace on Earth" while Bing Crosby sings "The Little Drummer Boy."

MAGPYE, I am so proud of you! Starting all these new activities is JUST what the doctor ordered. Not easy at all, which is why it is so impressive. Good for you!

• Love 6

MAGPYE, I am so proud of you! Starting all these new activities is JUST what the doctor ordered. Not easy at all, which is why it is so impressive. Good for you!

Thanks so much!  I feel pretty good most of the time, a huge change from how I felt when he broke up with me.  I keep really busy and have been renewing old friendships so I never have to be alone unless I want to be.

Oh, so here's kind of a funny story.  I always put off coloring my hair until it's beyond ridiculous, but yesterday morning, I laid out my hair-coloring t-shirt and got the box of hair color out from under the sink so I could do it when I got home from work.  Well, I came home sick from work with a tummy bug, and spent the day sleeping and running to the bathroom.  I went to bed shortly after 10 PM, thinking I would color my hair today.

Fast forward to 5 AM today when I am awakened from a sound sleep by crazy pain on my face.  My beloved cat decided to run across my head for some unknown reason, and carved a big scratch across my right eyelid.  Let me just say, there's no going back to sleep after that, so I got out of bed and colored my hair before I went to work this morning.

• Love 3

Like I said in my previous post, every time someone mentions a different DB song, I'm thinking I forgot about that one & like it too. Thanks Magpye for bringing up MAjor Tom (one of Mr Barb's favorites) & the Xmas mix with Bing. I'm off to find them on YouTube. BTW Magpye, glad you're New Year is starting off well.

• Love 2

I've finished up my mini concert & ended with Louis Armstrong & What a Wonderful World. Now I'm humming Rock & Roll Heaven since they've gotten a new band member.

I know this should be on another Duggar thread & I will probably discuss it there tomorrow, but how can Boob & MEchelle not allow the kids to listen to any pop music? I'm sure the older kids do now but it's probably pop Christian music not the greats like DB, Queen, Beatles, etc. I almost consider it a form of child abuse by JB & MEchelle withholding Music & the arts from the kids.

Ok I'm done my rant & back to "if you believe in forever........"

• Love 7

Oh, so here's kind of a funny story.  I always put off coloring my hair until it's beyond ridiculous............

Fast forward to 5 AM today when I am awakened from a sound sleep by crazy pain on my face.  My beloved cat decided to run across my head for some unknown reason, and carved a big scratch across my right eyelid.  Let me just say, there's no going back to sleep after that, so I got out of bed and colored my hair before I went to work this morning.

OUCH!! Not such a funny story. That sounds painful and scary. Hope it is healing and your hair is beautiful.

• Love 2

Hey all,I went to the dentist today for oral surgery . The numbness has worn off and I have very little discomfort , which is a lot better than when I had 3 teeth pulled. That time a swear the pharmacy slipped me a placebo because the pain was at level 15. So I am doing ok,just very hungry but can not eat anything solid for a day or two. Ohm well I need to loose a few pounds.

• Love 3

Hey all,I went to the dentist today for oral surgery . The numbness has worn off and I have very little discomfort , which is a lot better than when I had 3 teeth pulled. That time a swear the pharmacy slipped me a placebo because the pain was at level 15. So I am doing ok,just very hungry but can not eat anything solid for a day or two. Ohm well I need to loose a few pounds.

Hmmmm..sounds like chocolate shake time!

Glad you aren't feeling too much pain.

• Love 2

so happy no severe pain for you. I never got my wisdom teeth out because I can never get numb. Can you have Jamba Juice? shakes? Mashed potatoes? Refried beans?
  • Love 1

so happy no severe pain for you. I never got my wisdom teeth out because I can never get numb. Can you have Jamba Juice? shakes? Mashed potatoes? Refried beans?

I have not heard of Jamba juice . I had mashed potatoes for supper and did not think of refried beans. I have Instant Breakfast which will do for a while. I never have been a shake type of girl.I did buy some potted meat and deviled ham, so that will be a mushy meat ( well sort of meat). Thanks for the suggestions .
  • Love 3

You have my every sympathy, CrazyCatLady ! There is nothing in the world like dental pain ! I know half a dozen women who swear they'd rather go through labor and delivery again rather then go through a root canal or anything else more serious than a filling again. I've never had a baby, but I have had root canals - EIGHT ! - and I learned my lesson the hard way. What I do now is arrange to pick up my prescription for the pain meds two hours BEFORE the appointment, take one, hang out for a while, then go to the appointment. That way the really, really bad pain never hits me. And, you don't have to stand in line at the pharmacy in a painful haze while drooling and then having to ask for your pills by pantomiming and pointing at your mouth because you can't talk ! Percotheths ! PERCOTHETHS !!!

And if they didn't tell you, as they certainly should - don't use a straw !!! I did with my first wisdom tooth extraction - it pulled out the stitches and the packing and I ended up with an infection in my jawbone and something called "dry socket", which is every bit as bad and gross and painful as it sounds. 

Sorry for the advice barrage ! I'm not a dentist and I don't play one on TV,  but I wanted to pass along whatever I could to be helpful if at all possible. I'll be thinking of you and hope to hear that you're doing better and no longer stuck eating "mushy meat" !   ;) 

On another note, I tried to get tickets for the David Bowie memorial concert at Carnegie Hall in March, but it was a no-go and I refuse to pay ten (or twenty !) times the face value to StubHub or TicketMaster. They are cultural vampires, and total bastards that ruin the opportunity for normal folk to just enjoy a concert or play like we used to before they started buying all the damn tickets en masse in 17 freaking seconds. Did I mention they are bastards ?

I found solace in watching DB videos and found one that I'd all but forgotten - Blue Jean. Such visual artistry, even if the look is a bit dated, the makeup on Bowie's face is simply brilliant, and the deep, jazzy saxophone is like sunshine to me. It came out in September of 1984 - I had just started my senior year of high school, and I bought the album (on cassette !) to play on the school bus to and from school. On my Walkman. Thirty-plus years later it still translates...

• Love 5

I am dreading seeing a dentist for Bruxism and TMJ Arthralgia. Right now I have jaw pain and a headache. I know some dentists use pills and other things to help calm patients. I feel bad for the dentist who will get me for a patient. I am a major wimp. My poor husband will have to come with me, and he may ask the dentist for something to calm his nerves because I will be cranky and not fun to be around. The last time I went to a dentist to have a fractured tooth pulled, I had a bad reaction to the pain med and ended up getting sick. I told my husband when the fun arrives to take me home after the appointment(s) and put me to bed and to check on me to make sure I am still alive once in a while. Crossing fingers I will only need a mouth guard to wear at night and no extensive dental or jaw work.

You have my every sympathy, CrazyCatLady ! There is nothing in the world like dental pain ! I know half a dozen women who swear they'd rather go through labor and delivery again rather then go through a root canal or anything else more serious than a filling again. I've never had a baby, but I have had root canals - EIGHT ! - and I learned my lesson the hard way. What I do now is arrange to pick up my prescription for the pain meds two hours BEFORE the appointment, take one, hang out for a while, then go to the appointment. That way the really, really bad pain never hits me. And, you don't have to stand in line at the pharmacy in a painful haze while drooling and then having to ask for your pills by pantomiming and pointing at your mouth because you can't talk ! Percotheths ! PERCOTHETHS !!!

And if they didn't tell you, as they certainly should - don't use a straw !!! I did with my first wisdom tooth extraction - it pulled out the stitches and the packing and I ended up with an infection in my jawbone and something called "dry socket", which is every bit as bad and gross and painful as it sounds.

Sorry for the advice barrage ! I'm not a dentist and I don't play one on TV, but I wanted to pass along whatever I could to be helpful if at all possible. I'll be thinking of you and hope to hear that you're doing better and no longer stuck eating "mushy meat" ! ;)

On another note, I tried to get tickets for the David Bowie memorial concert at Carnegie Hall in March, but it was a no-go and I refuse to pay ten (or twenty !) times the face value to StubHub or TicketMaster. They are cultural vampires, and total bastards that ruin the opportunity for normal folk to just enjoy a concert or play like we used to before they started buying all the damn tickets en masse in 17 freaking seconds. Did I mention they are bastards ?

I found solace in watching DB videos and found one that I'd all but forgotten - Blue Jean. Such visual artistry, even if the look is a bit dated, the makeup on Bowie's face is simply brilliant, and the deep, jazzy saxophone is like sunshine to me. It came out in September of 1984 - I had just started my senior year of high school, and I bought the album (on cassette !) to play on the school bus to and from school. On my Walkman. Thirty-plus years later it still translates...

Thanks for the info, they did tell me no straws. Honestly the pain is not bad at all and I am a BIG whinny baby about pain. What I do not understand is why last time I had teeth pulled and was in so much pain and this time I had surgery and gave very little. I always ask for " laughing gas" for most dental work. It makes life easier for me and the the person who is working on my teeth. Thanks to everyone for the good thoughts.
Sorry you are not able to go to the concert. It is hard to loose someone who you admire.
  • Love 3

Pulling teeth is a procedure your dentist can do in his office.  Surgery requires an oral surgeon (not sure if that is the exact title, but my wisdom teeth came out forty years ago), requiring a surgical suite, anesthesia, at least a couple of nurses, recovery room, and someone to drive you home (or it did forty years ago when all four of my wisdom teeth were extracted in one procedure).  They will always go for the simpler procedure, when possible, and the "discomfort" you may feel is the trade-off on the medical risks that being put under brings.

Yeah, I was still happy that my wisdom teeth were so twisted that they couldn't be pulled.  I was also twenty, and therefore immune to medical catastrophe.

• Love 4

I have a ridiculously high pain tolerance, it's kind of scary. Like, coming out of a 4 hour thyroid surgery and only needing Tylenol kind of tolerance. I'm the weirdo at the dentist asking for less Novacaine because the numbness will last for 8+ hours and it drives me crazy. I have fibroids and they give me the most awful cramps in the world (like throwing up and passing out kind of cramps), but I only use Tylenol for those, too. My gyno keeps trying to press prescription painkillers on me since she can't understand how I can deal with that time of the month, but I honestly can deal with it. 

• Love 2

Going back to our furry family members because there's a story:

My DIL's mother is on a small fixed income and wanted to clean houses for a supplement. I pay her to clean my house every 2 weeks. This started when I was crazy busy and we were living like happy fat pigs in a sty and it was a good exchange for the money. Now when I'm not so busy (when is THAT???) I can't tell her not to come because she depends on my little money. I'm not dying to dust and swish, so it's still a good investment for now. When I get bombarded with work in the spring, I'll be glad. Anyway, she was here today and I needed to leave. It was chilly out and my big dogs have short hair and wanted IN. But when she vacuums, they go NUTS, attacking the vacuum and barking like there's a woolly intruder.

So I put the big ones in the mancave and blockaded the door with kitchen chairs. I put all the dog toys in the mancave, even though they are going to settle on the couch and sleep the whole time I'm gone. The big guys can't get out, but the cocker is free to go thru the legs and roam the house. When I came home, I let them all out and proceeded to the bathroom, but on the way, I had to step over the whole entire pile of dog toys. The little guy has gone into the mancave and brought out every single toy to the other side where they can't have them. I wasn't here to witness, but I bet that little turd lay down where they couldn't reach him and squeaked the mess out of every single toy just to drive them crazy. He is the quintessential pesky little brother.

Update on Mama: she's resting and fading. Haldol and Tylenol (rectally) as needed. (Yay!!!) she barely opens her eyes any more and doesn't speak more than a word, and mostly its unintelligible. But she told me she loved me last night. And even if she was parroting me, I don't care. Something tells me that deep in there somewhere, she knows I'm near. She's no longer on continuous care (round the clock) from hospice. So I told the live-in sitter that I would come at night and sleep in mamas bed next to her, since she's in a hosp bed now. The sitter insists that she's GOT this, that I don't need to come. She can sleep in that bed and get up if Mama needs something. She'll call me if there's an emergency.

I'm not sure why, but I feel curiously shut out by this. I'm staying home tonight, as she insists, but she CANNOT do round-the-clock care for an elderly patient who's dying. I've let her set Mama's schedules and determine (mostly) what's best for her, but have insisted that when we get to 24 hour care, I would be there at night. Now I'm being told no thanks. This bothers me on a level I can't even explain. I WANT my mom to know I'M there. Not a relative or a sitter, I want her to feel like I'm hovering. I WANT to do this. I WANT to see those rare flashes of recognition that fall like random sparks sometimes. And I've explained all this to the sitter. I'm sort of stuck here - I've given her responsibility for my mom, and don't want to take it away at this end point. But I've been here for YEARS, and I want to be there now. I tried to approach it from the "you can't possibly do 24 hr care alone, you just can't physically". And then I came in from the "I WANT to be there". And she send me a text saying, "Let me just try it for a couple nights and see how it goes. I think we'll be fine".

Maybe we WILL be fine... but I won't be if I feel shut off. I need her (the sitter) and can't piss her off at this point. But I can't be shut off either.

Never mind, I'm just whining, feeling sorry for myself. Putting on my assertiveness shoes right now.

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 8

HFC, this process is not easy.  the letting go, knowing what's coming, being powerless over it, trying to accept it, but then something like this pokes you.  I hope you can work it out to your satisfaction. After all, it's your mama we're talking about.

• Love 6

So, I was in the city, waiting to catch a bus, and this little old lady came up to me and said "Excuse me dear, I need to give you this."

I look down at what she's trying to hand me, and it was a pamphlet about being a good wife through religion. It was very weird, because the emphasis she put on the word need made me feel like I'd been targeted for something, especially since it appeared to be the only pamphlet she had.

I politely declined, and she didn't push it, but it was odd.

• Love 5

I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth pulled in the same appointment and was so high on the meds that I was completely unaware I was bleeding on the way home - all while talking a mile a minute. I was all "that wasn't bad! I feel great! Let's go to Target!"

6 hours later I'm vomiting from the pain meds - which is so much worse when you have stitches in your mouth. (And that's how I found out I have an adverse reaction to opioids). Then, 4 dry sockets. I had to go to the dentist every day to have my sockets checked. Good times!

On the upside, root canals don't faze me. Downside, nothing stronger than ibuprofen for me.

Crazycatlady, be wary of small bits of food like rice that can easily get stuck. I remember eating a lot of creamy soups, which was a nice change from yogurt and pudding.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 2

I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth pulled in the same appointment and was so high on the meds that I was completely unaware I was bleeding on the way home - all while talking a mile a minute. I was all "that wasn't bad! I feel great! Let's go to Target!"

I know it was painful and I shouldn't really be hoping that someone videoed you. (But I am). Those are hilarious on YouTube. Just saying.

About the lift-leg-peeing: I'm VERY excited to report it continues. Seems to be a regular occurrence. A little odd he's just now picking that up since he'll be 2 in March, but hey. I'm a proud Mama. I KNEW he wasn't gay.

Lookey, I started typing a response to your doc search. And lost it. You mentioned a teaching hospital, which makes me feel you landed on Emory docs. We've been all over the map, but about 10 years ago, my parents started using Piedmont. At first, this meant trucking to the other side of Atlanta, but gradually they switched to Fayetteville. Piedmont has now taken over Henry as well. I've been very, very satisfied with all the docs in that system. Plus they have that magical computerized ability to share information, no matter what the specialty. If the diabetic doc orders blood work, the cardiologist is able to see the results. Kept us from duplicating tests and blood work many, many times. There are glitches, but overall, it's been a good experience. I have my mother's cardiologists private cell phone number in my wallet. He is also the one who first told me he suspected my father had cancer. (Not a cardio issue). We saw the NP for diabetic care usually, and she knew both my parent's names and the family dynamic. These are HUGE practices; very busy people. You can't underestimate the value of your medical professional calling you by name and knowing your history. It takes a minute (or 100 years) but keep working at it until you find someone you trust and stick to it. When they KNOW you, they believe you when you say ________ isn't right.

And I know his sounds a whole lot like it should have been a PM, but having walked through a plethora of health issues with my parents - it's a strong suggestion. (Talking to YOU, BigSky and Burlsa). I know it's tedious and frustrating, but FIND that medical person who cares about YOU. Not just you as a patient, but YOU, for YOU. Honestly, I cheated. I found out the cardiologist vacationed in Paris (his wife inherited property), and that he had 2 daughters in college, and that he liked quirky movies. He's very private, but I ferreted that out and made him converse with me every time. Made him feel like he knew "us". And luckily, the NP at the diabetic doc had a baby. As soon as she came back, we brought her a baby blanket with the baby's name embroidered. I didn't (but absolutely WOULD) bring them bottles of wine or hand knitted sweaters at Christmas - but I did bring cookies for the staff if we had appointments close to holidays. I cheat and I get our family on the radar ahead of other patients, and I don't care how pushy that makes me. I'm a good patient advocate. :)

But I'll say this - that's only when I'm caring for my parents (or a grandchild, for example). I've been seeing my own GP exclusively for 12 years and every single time I feel like she thinks I'm a new patient. No small talk, no interest. Fill that BP med and I'll see you in 6 months. I'll fight for others; myself - not so much.

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 5

I have thyroid disease also. I'm hypo. Imagine my happiness when I am taking the maximum allowable dose of levothyroxine per the labs and I still have all the symptoms.

YAY.

I am Doctor shopping in the new state. There are a lot of treatment choices for hypothyroid. The trick is to find a doctor who will consider more than T-4. Good luck. Check out Mary shomon, thyroid advocate.

At the height of my hypo, I also took T3. I was finally able to get my numbers going in the right direction and lost almost 50 lbs.! Then I noticed that I was running "hot," so I've halved my dosage with success. My endo is retiring in June, and I have the sads. I love the old dude. 

I'm sitting here alone in my sewing room, picking out a tragic mistake of embroidery, hoping the shirt can be saved.  It's quiet.  I'm mulling over my posted thoughts for the day, and I SWEAR, I just hear MicksPicks channeling me saying, "I don't know why you're so worried about that dog hiking his leg - you're too busy peeing on your own trees to worry about the DOG!"

Also:  Kalamac - I was also pondering the woman with the tract.  I bet you caused her not to get soup at the mission tonight when she returned with that one lonesome tract.  She didn't make her quota.

Ooooh!  OUCH!!!  I think if I don't get some rest, someone's going to pee on me (and not for territory's sake).

• Love 3

My PA diagnosed me with hypothyroidism. She put me on synthroid. I was miserable on it. Hot flashes. Fatigue. It was awful. I told my PA, and she set me up with an endocrinologist. I see him on Friday. I'm nervous because the doctor doesn't have high reviews. I am on medicaid, so I don't have options for shopping around.

I don't know what to think of it all. The only thing my doctor is going off of is my TSH level. And it was only abnormal once.

• Love 2

My PA diagnosed me with hypothyroidism. She put me on synthroid. I was miserable on it. Hot flashes. Fatigue. It was awful. I told my PA, and she set me up with an endocrinologist. I see him on Friday. I'm nervous because the doctor doesn't have high reviews. I am on medicaid, so I don't have options for shopping around.

I don't know what to think of it all. The only thing my doctor is going off of is my TSH level. And it was only abnormal once.

Burlsa I know nothing about thyroid issues but there are lots of experts here for you it seems. Just wanted to wish you luck at the appt and hope you find some answers.
  • Love 6

Oh my, BURLSA, I hope the endocrinologist will be good for YOU, and help get you and your thyroid on the right track.

Let us know how it goes....we care! Hugs!!

• Love 3

Burlsa, I hope all your doctors take good care of you and your health issues.  I hope they treat you like they would treat the person they love most in the world.  Love and blessings and hugs!

• Love 2

Burlsa - here is the Earth Clinic link I found for hypothryoidism - http://www.earthclinic.com/cures/hypothyroidism.html

Start doing your research - if you haven't already - and try not to worry. There is help out there - and it doesn't always have to cost a bundle - but these days we all have to be pro-active patients, do our research, get our questions answered and if something doesn't work, we need to try something else. After having rosacea for 20+ years I finally found effective help through my own Earth Clinic research - and other sites too. The Internet has been such a boon for people who want to take charge of their own health care - the resources out there are virtually limitless. Try to stay positive and good luck!

• Love 1

Burlsa, I feel your pain, literally.  synthroid worked for me for a while but then it didn't.  I had a heck of a time going to a lot of doctors til I found one who took my hand in his, looked me in the eye and said "Your quality of life is important to me. There are a lot of treatments to try and we will try all of them until we find one that works for you.".  I thought I was having an out of body experience. Anyway, I did get a different treatment.  Levoxyl and cytomel to start, and then went to compounded T3.  Please check out Mary Shomon, Thyroid Advocate, also.  She does the research for us and puts it all out there.

http://thyroid.about.com/bio/Mary-Shomon-350.htm

http://www.thyroid-info.com/booktoc.htm

I find myself in a new state with another appointment since the first one was a bust.  I will not give up.

• Love 4

I am leery of any doctor who says your quality of life will improve if you have a certain treatment after what happen with the quack endocrinologist I was sent to. I also do not care for anyone in the medical field who tells me I am too anxious and being anxious is causing my health issues or I could not be having any side effects to any medication I am taking. My husband has told me more than once to lighten up during the last three years. I have given him looks that could turn him into stone on a hot summer day.Yes, stress does not help, but telling someone to lighten up or you need to see a mental health care specialist after years of feeling like crap does not help.

I am happy to say the doctors and I are closer to figuring out what the heck is going on and why I have been sick and miserable for three years. I have a great endocrinologist who is smart, personable, and has a great bedside manner. He wants me to get better, apologized to me for not being diagnosed with Graves Disease when the symptoms started, shows sympathy for what I have been through for the past three years, explains things well, and even lets me rant and rave about not feeling well. I also can tell he is not happy with my treatment or lack of quality treatment by the other doctor.

Now comes the fun of finding a good dentist for the TMJ Arthralgia. I called the County Health Dental Clinic, and I would not be able to get in until early March. I cannot afford to see another dentist, and I did not quality for Medicaid because my husband made too much last year (seriously...rolling eyes.) Also, I do not think Medicaid would have covered the treatment I will need, and the thought of fighting the state of Montana to prove the treatment is medically necessary would have been a major pain in the behind.

I am leery of any doctor who says your quality of life will improve if you have a certain treatment after what happen with the quack endocrinologist I was sent to. I also do not care for anyone in the medical field who tells me I am too anxious and being anxious is causing my health issues or I could not be having any side effects to any medication I am taking. My husband has told me more than once to lighten up during the last three years. I have given him looks that could turn him into stone on a hot summer day.Yes, stress does not help, but telling someone to lighten up or you need to see a mental health care specialist after years of feeling like crap does not help.

I am happy to say the doctors and I are closer to figuring out what the heck is going on and why I have been sick and miserable for three years. I have a great endocrinologist who is smart, personable, and has a great bedside manner. He wants me to get better, apologized to me for not being diagnosed with Graves Disease when the symptoms started, shows sympathy for what I have been through for the past three years, explains things well, and even lets me rant and rave about not feeling well. I also can tell he is not happy with my treatment or lack of quality treatment by the other doctor.

Now comes the fun of finding a good dentist for the TMJ Arthralgia. I called the County Health Dental Clinic, and I would not be able to get in until early March. I cannot afford to see another dentist, and I did not quality for Medicaid because my husband made too much last year (seriously...rolling eyes.) Also, I do not think Medicaid would have covered the treatment I will need, and the thought of fighting the state of Montana to prove the treatment is medically necessary would have been a major pain in the behind.

bigskygirl - don't know if you were referencing my post.  I didn't say he said he had a certain treatment.  He said there were many to try and we would try until we found one that worked for me.  He sounds less like your quack endocrinologist and more like the one you are pleased with in that he really did seem to want to find out about me and what would work best.  I only left his practice because he went concierge and that put him out of my reach.  But it took me a long time to find another doctor who understood the thyroid and that there is more than one treatment or even more than one brand of the one treatment.  And now we have moved and I am on the search all over again.

It is awful to feel crummy all the time and it is also awful when people don't understand.  

• Love 2

Sorry lookeyloo, I was not referring to your post. I am angry because I fell like I was bullied by the one doctor, and he did not take my physical and mental health in consideration while I was under his crappy care. I do not want other thyroid patients to go through what I had to deal with. I hate to think what would have happened if I did not get a second opinion. I probably would have ended up in the hospital with a lot more serious health issues.

The thing with burlsa's thyroid is that she only had elevated TSH on one test. Before that test, her levels were always within the normal range. In fact, just one week before that test, she had visited the ER and her TSH levels were normal. And despite the fact that she has not been taking the Synthroid, her levels are currently within the normal range.

I feel it was irresponsible for her PA to throw her on such a potent drug based on one test. Then again, this is the same PCP who has been blaming all of my daughter's health problems on low Vitamin D and has steadfastly refused to send her to a rheumatologist (and because of the ACA, it's impossible to find PCPs who are accepting new patients, so we're kinda stuck in that regard).

• Love 1

No other tests were run? No thyroid ultrasound or even a thyroid scan? In my case, my primary doctor sent me to an endocrinologist before any treatment was started when I was finally diagnosed with Graves Disease except for a blood pressure med because of my borderline high blood pressure and the possibility of heart damage. I hope the endocrinologist she is seeing soon gets a better handle on what may or may not be going on with her thyroid.

I also have low Vitamin D levels, but my physician assistant or the other doctors are  not blaming my issues on it alone. I think they going with the radiation treatment, medication side effects, sleep apnea and being on the wrong med dosage for over two years for what is going on now.

No other tests were run? No thyroid ultrasound or even a thyroid scan? In my case, my primary doctor sent me to an endocrinologist before any treatment was started when I was finally diagnosed with Graves Disease except for a blood pressure med because of my borderline high blood pressure and the possibility of heart damage. I hope the endocrinologist she is seeing soon gets a better handle on what may or may not be going on with her thyroid.

I also have low Vitamin D levels, but my physician assistant or the other doctors are  not blaming my issues on it alone. I think they going with the radiation treatment, medication side effects, sleep apnea and being on the wrong med dosage for over two years for what is going on now.

Nope. She prescribed Synthroid based on one blood test.

My daughter has been dealing with autoimmune-like symptoms since 2009--shortly after a nasty case of mono. The first time lupus appeared on our radar was in 2011, after my daughter got a nasty "sunburn," which turned actually turned out to be a rash/hives. She mentioned this to the PA, who informed her that it was not photosensitivity, and that she just needed to wear more sunscreen. Later, when my daughter finally asked to see a rheumatologist, that's when the PA started in with the vitamin D nonsense.

Fast forward 4-5 years, and the PA still denies there are autoimmune issues...even now that my daughter finally got her D levels into the normal range (and is now sicker than ever). Thank god for the neurologist, who knows she needs a rheumatologist, so HE has referred her to one.

• Love 1

Wok Chop, that is so disheartening and not surprising.  It's almost like we have to kiss a lot of ugly frogs before we find the handsome prince, if you get my drift.  I was told by a doctor many years ago that I was on the "gold standard" of thyroid treatment (wrong dose of Synthroid) and I should just get used to feeling the way I felt.  There was nothing else to be done for me.  What the what??????  Cried my way out of that office.  But didn't give up and found the blessed doctor who knew there were options.  Now in this new state I have to hunt all over again.  Good luck to Burlsa.  She will need it navigating this system.  

• Love 4

You ladies are all amazing to push the way you do! And doing it while you're feeling crappy. My take home is - keep looking and at least one kind & caring MD will be found. Gives me hope if me or anyone else in my family run into the same stuff.

Lets hope 2016 brings solutions to you all who are battling health issues and MDs.

• Love 4

I have often wonder how these damn (excuse my language) doctors and physician assistants would feel if they became sick and miserable and their medical cohorts treated them like crap by telling them it was all in your head, take the med and shut up or there is nothing to be done to help you.