Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

It was in the 60s yesterday, and supposed to be 72 today. Also VERY windy! I have large Christmas balls hung on my front porch, and I had to retrieve a couple that blew down.

Happy Holidays to all! My family has celebrated on Christmas Eve my whole life, so the big celebration is done. My son and his family will celebrate with my DIL's family today. So it's a quiet day, and Mr Turquoise and I may stay in pajamas, eat leftovers, and possibly pull up a movie or two.

• Love 11

Mid 50's and rainy in Cleveland, not very Christmassy.  Did the family dinner last night, was supposed to go to have dinner at an old friend's today, but too much going on in her life (her daughter had a baby by cesarean last week, her FIL is in hospice and it will be anytime and her MIL is still around and is difficult even when her husband isn't dying); so ahe's decided to drop back 10 yards and punt on the festive Christmas dinner this year and get some sleep.  I wholeheartedly concurred and I'm not mad that I can spend the day with the pups doing mot much of anything.

Merry Christmas!

• Love 13

We did the festivities yesterday with the daughter and her girlfriend so today is a nice quiet rest up in a way.  I hope everyone has a lovely and happy holiday and may it be a very happy new year ahead for us all.  I mean, we can try...you get points for trying!  

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Love 15

Happy Holidays, Small Talkers and Merry Christmas to those who celebrate!

Our well laid plans went a bit astray when one daughter had car trouble. We zoomed this morning and it was a very nice substitution. Then she discovered that her upstairs neighbor has Covid, so perhaps it's for the best that they couldn't come. Omnicron is moving quickly it seems, so who knows what 2022 will bring? I hope that it brings peace and good health to all. 

@Scarlett45, I'm so sorry about Blake. What a wonderful life he had! Also very sorry for Mr. Jyn's loss of Onyx, @Jynnan tonnix. They are such a part of our lives and it's so hard when they are gone. When our cat goes, I don't know if I'll have the heart to go through it again. 

It's bright, sunny & unseasonably warm here. 

• Love 12

I hope that everyone who celebrated yesterday had the best possible day!

I’m not sure what thread this was on, but I want to thank the person who quoted the “Behold this field on which I grow my…” meme last month. I had never heard it before and thought it was funny. I found it on a tee shirt and bought it for my husband for Christmas. He laughed so hard when he opened it that he couldn’t breathe. He is telling everyone about his tee shirt. It was his favorite gift by far. 

Edited by EVS
  • LOL 14
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Happy Sunday news:

It was my birthday and I had a nice day. I’m closer to 40 than I’d like… but I’m still alive. Indulged in a chocolate cake definitely worth the calories. Birthday is once a year. 

Good night everyone!

So glad you had a happy birthday, cookies! Yum, yum, chocolate cake! 🎂

• Love 4
3 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Happy Sunday news:

It was my birthday and I had a nice day. I’m closer to 40 than I’d like… but I’m still alive. Indulged in a chocolate cake definitely worth the calories. Birthday is once a year. 

Good night everyone!

Happy Birthday! I hope you had a great birthday.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

I know you have a good sense of humor, so I couldn't resist this gif... 🙃🤣Farting Happy Birthday GIF by HeyF

• LOL 6

I hope everyone who celebrated Christmas had a nice holiday. I did- Christmas Eve was hard emotionally, Christmas Day was better. 

I did the morning with my Mom, we watched the Disney Christmas Day parade (our usual tradition), had our cranberry orange French toast bake (no presents to each other because we went on the trip). I took care of my sister, and she tore into all of her gifts AS USUAL. I was able to track down on Ebay these Robin Hood and Maid Marion plushes she spent about a week POINTING to YouTube (the caregiver took a photo and said "who are these characters??".) In the evening I went to my BFFs house for presents as our usual tradition, and I got an instapot (along with some other things). I am very excited to check it out.

Before I left my goddaughter said (she is 7), "I wish Blake had died after Christmas.", I told her that "I wish he had died after Christmas too, but we dont get to decide that, but I was so happy to spend Christmas with her although I was sad about Blake." What a sweet heart.

My Mom got word Christmas morning that the great love of her life was dead (he was a bit older than her, age 84). I wondered why they called my Momma up on Christmas morning to tell her that! I was mad. I am sure she waited until I went to my BFFs house to cry.

• Love 11
On 12/26/2021 at 9:27 PM, iwantcookies said:

Happy Sunday news:

Good night everyone!

Happy belated birthday!

2 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Happy belated birthday!

On 12/27/2021 at 8:51 AM, CouchTater said:

@iwantcookies, Happy Belated Birthday!  I'm a fellow December baby (12/7), well-past 40, unfortunately!  52...how did that happen???

Happy birthday to you too!

• Love 5

You wanna laugh so hard?

I helped a woman at Target push her cart to her car. She had two full carts and two kids under six (I know this because the bigger one told me her name and age) and was STRUGGLING. 

She asked me "are you due soon?" And I cocked my head to the side legit confused.

I said "no, I'm just fat with my hat and gloves in my pockets!"🤣🤣🥰🥰🥰

And I pulled out my hat from one pocket and my gloves from the other. Omg that was TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!

Edited to add- the WOMAN said that, not the child.

• LOL 15
12 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

You wanna laugh so hard?

I helped a woman at Target push her cart to her car. She had two full carts and two kids under six (I know this because the bigger one told me her name and age) and was STRUGGLING. 

She asked me "are you due soon?" And I cocked my head to the side legit confused.

I said "no, I'm just fat with my hat and gloves in my pockets!"🤣🤣🥰🥰🥰

And I pulled out my hat from one pocket and my gloves from the other. Omg that was TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!

Back when I was about 25, I was in DC with my friend and roommate.  This was a short day trip on a hot summer's day, and I decided to wear a breezy sundress that day.  We went up to see an exhibit at the Natural History Museum and we decided to pop on into the National Gallery of Art on a whim.  This would have been when the "War on Terror" was still waging and we had to go through metal detectors to go see some art.  I was just getting ready walk through the metal detector when the security woman stopped me because she thought I was pregnant.  Apparently pregnant women should not walk through metal detectors.  My friend burst out laughing because she knew there was zero chance I was pregnant.  

And that was the last time I wore that particular sundress.  

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Back when I was about 25, I was in DC with my friend and roommate.  This was a short day trip on a hot summer's day, and I decided to wear a breezy sundress that day.  We went up to see an exhibit at the Natural History Museum and we decided to pop on into the National Gallery of Art on a whim.  This would have been when the "War on Terror" was still waging and we had to go through metal detectors to go see some art.  I was just getting ready walk through the metal detector when the security woman stopped me because she thought I was pregnant.  Apparently pregnant women should not walk through metal detectors.  My friend burst out laughing because she knew there was zero chance I was pregnant.  

I did have a distinct bulge in the abdomen from my hat and gloves stuffed in here. Empire waist sun dresses can make the thinnest fittest woman look pregnant, I understand.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I had a somewhat-similar summer dress incident years ago. When I said I wasn't pregnant, the lady doubled down and announced I looked several months along. The dress went to the thrift store...

Now I have a distinct fibroid-pregnant belly, but no one says anything. Guess they see the graying hair and assume I'm just big. LOL

Edited by Turquoise
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, Turquoise said:

I had a somewhat-similar summer dress incident years ago. When I said I wasn't pregnant, the lady doubled down and announced I looked several months along. The dress went to thrift store...

Now I have a distinct fibroid-pregnant belly, but no one says anything. Guess they see the graying hair and assume I'm just big. LOL

I can't believe she doubled down. Doesn't she know that when you're in a hole you should stop digging?!

• LOL 9
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, Turquoise said:

I had a somewhat-similar summer dress incident years ago. When I said I wasn't pregnant, the lady doubled down and announced I looked several months along. The dress went to thrift store...

The dress was insanely comfortable because it was a size too big.  I bought it when I was still living at home, and I lost a bit of weight when I moved into my own place.  It was the perfect breezy sundress to wear while walking the streets of DC in the heat of the summer. It was a tank dress that somehow had an a-line while not having a waist band of any sort.  It flared out from my bust and landed just below the knee.  I still miss this dress.

• Love 6

To those who read "How to Live Like a Tudor"--Ruth Goodman is featured in "Tudor Monastery Farm at Christmas" which I just stumbled across on TV.  It is on TUBI, which is a totally free tv app.  She and  her "family" are preparing a Tudor Christmas feast.  Very interesting.  She is showing how to prepare a lot of different Tudor foods.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Thanks to my zealous decluttering on Monday and Tuesday, I injured my shoulder. The internet suggests that it’s bursitis, so yesterday and today I’ve been sitting on the couch with ice on my shoulder. So much for my grand plans to clean out/reorganize the basement. I was really looking forward to it! At least I got the upstairs closets cleaned out. I donated so many bags of clothes and shoes. It’s really nice to look into my closet and see all of the empty space.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, MargeGunderson said:

Thanks to my zealous decluttering on Monday and Tuesday, I injured my shoulder. The internet suggests that it’s bursitis, so I’m yesterday and today I’ve been sitting on the couch with ice on my shoulder. So much for my grand plans to clean out/reorganize the basement. I was really looking forward to it! At least I got the upstairs closets cleaned out. I donated so many bags of clothes and shoes. It’s really nice to look into my closet and see all of the empty space.

Oh gosh. I was going to use the "sad" emoji about your injury, but then I wanted to hit the "heart" one in honor of your accomplishments with your closets! I hope you heal fast and continue to enjoy your spiffed-up closets while you do. Happy new year!

• Love 10
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

Thanks to my zealous decluttering on Monday and Tuesday, I injured my shoulder. The internet suggests that it’s bursitis, so yesterday and today I’ve been sitting on the couch with ice on my shoulder. So much for my grand plans to clean out/reorganize the basement. I was really looking forward to it! At least I got the upstairs closets cleaned out. I donated so many bags of clothes and shoes. It’s really nice to look into my closet and see all of the empty space.

I love doing that kind of thing.  It’s on my To Do list.  I got held up with other issues, some work related, computer, WiFi, and my parents health and septic tank issues 😩….oh my. Hopefully, I can wrap them up and get my year end purging done soon.  I’ve decided to fix my own leaky shower and have that on my To Do list too.  I looked into it and my expectations for costs were quite low.  I’ve decided to do it myself….we’ll, that’s the plan.  Think I can save myself around$800. for the two showers.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

So sorry you hurt yourself! I am planning a delcuttering as well. I am going to tackle my utility closet next to the bathroom (pet supplies, candles, light bulbs, cleaning supplies etc live there), and under the bathroom sink. I need to go through and make it neater as well as find a different home for certain things. The bathroom sink is okay, but it could be neater.

I am also going to declutter my food cabinets this weekend, its been a while since I went through and threw away expired/never going to eat stuff (I keep my fridge PRISTINE because I just love a pretty fridge, but the cabinets get neglected sometimes). I also need to buy a toy bin for Cosmo because he has so many toys now.

I am at the point where certain pants are FALLING OFF, so I bought 4 pairs I can wear to work to get me through winter, when I change out to the spring things, I will do a big purge because likely very little will still fit. I have been work from home lately, so doing joggers and fuzzy tunics, so comfy, but not appropriate anywhere besides my house.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

To those who read "How to Live Like a Tudor"--Ruth Goodman is featured in "Tudor Monastery Farm at Christmas" which I just stumbled across on TV.  It is on TUBI, which is a totally free tv app.  She and  her "family" are preparing a Tudor Christmas feast.  Very interesting.  She is showing how to prepare a lot of different Tudor foods.

I recently enjoyed Lucy Worsley's 12 Days of Tudor Christmas. In addition to the food, it detailed the traditions of each day. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I recently enjoyed Lucy Worsley's 12 Days of Tudor Christmas. In addition to the food, it detailed the traditions of each day. 

I enjoyed Lucy Worsley, too. (Her programs are "must watch TV for me.) This program is much more detailed as it took place at a living museum.  Ruth "lives the life" on a somewhat regular basis. She shows how to make a stuffed boar's head for dinner, among other things, in this production.  Lucy gives more of the history and background, Ruth shows actual day to day life.  The two compliment each other very well.  Although very interesting, I'm glad I'm living now and not then.

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that one! I watched it when it came out, and rewatched it this year. I love Lucy Worsley and Dr Kat (she’s on YouTube). 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that one! I watched it when it came out, and rewatched it this year. I love Lucy Worsley and Dr Kat (she’s on YouTube). 

I love Dr. Kat. Her history of the month round is probably my favorite thing of 2021.

Please pray for the people who have lost their homes in the Colorado Wildfires. Me and the kids are staying at my moms home because we got evacuated let me tell you it was funnier than hell rounding up my cats and getting them into their carriers. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

Please pray for the people who have lost their homes in the Colorado Wildfires. Me and the kids are staying at my moms home because we got evacuated let me tell you it was funnier than hell rounding up my cats and getting them into their carriers. 

I am glad you guys are ok. 

• Love 10
36 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I am glad you guys are ok. 

So am I, and I'm glad you were able to get the cats into their carriers. And that you have a place to stay while evacuated.

I live across the metro area from the fires but even so this is too close to home!

The hurricane force winds (100+ mph!!) that swept through were dangerous enough but then downed power lines sparked fires that the winds fed and spread. Those winds blew at least one semi over, blocking a highway, and also blew the roof off a tire shop in Arvada. On a regular day those would be more than passing news stories, but not yesterday. 

I don't know the technical meaning of the word "firestorm" but that's what it looked like to me as I watched the news coverage for several hours yesterday afternoon and evening. A firestorm blowing through fully developed suburban residential neighborhoods. 6200 acres burned is one thing out in the wilderness, but a sh*t ton of damage in a developed area.

It hurts my heart to imagine what we are going to see in another hour or so after sunrise when the helicopters and drones go up for a look at the area. Where, BTW, a few fires are still burning although the crazy wind speeds are long over so there's that.