Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

@sixlets I’m upset on you behalf that you are having difficulty getting your medication and having anxiety over it. Does your insurance work with one of those mail order rx services? I also suggest that you call the pharmacy at your local hospital. They sometimes have access to things that might not readily be available. Also try calling the manufacturer of the med. They may be able to direct you to which pharmacy has it in stock. Fingers crossed that this worry is fixed today. 

• Love 7

Thank you ALL so much for the support!!  I wasn't expecting much of today, but I do have somewhat of a plan.  The pharmacy did not get it again today, so I'm kind of a dead end there.  The only good thing has been the nurse practitioner I just began seeing at my primary's office and one of the medical assistants.  They were both understanding of what has been going on, and they were working to come up with a game plan, which I think we have.  The MA was actually able to start the prior-auth process today, so now we just need to wait out the insurance company.  I bought myself a bit of time by waiting until Monday to do anything.  I have been in this position once before because of the prior-auth situation, and it just sucks.  I normally don't have anxiety, but this has taken everything out of me.  So, now, I wait.  I feel like one of the Duggers waiting for a baby to arrive.  Thank you all again!!

• Love 16
On 1/6/2022 at 8:27 AM, Fosca said:

Do the flannel sheets wear well?  In the past the ones I've bought elsewhere have always pilled really quickly.

I swear by Lands' End flannel sheets.  They never pill and last over 10 years.  Here in damp Seattle, I love to use flannel sheets 9 or 10 months of the year.

Their percale sheets also last forever and no need to buy 400 thread count.  The 200 t.c. also never pill and are soft and crisp.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1

Ok, my friends, my turn to ask for prayers/good thoughts/good vibes/whatever you believe. I just found out my cousin is in the hospital, in the ICU, with COVID and pneumonia, on a ventilator. She has been in the ICU for 3-4 days. According to her husband and daughter, today was not a good day for her. She is younger than me, we pretty much grew up together. I am beside myself. Please, send good wishes to the universe.

2 hours ago, sixlets said:

I'll be keeping your cousin in my thoughts @Westiepeach, along with her husband & daughter.

Minor update on my situation.  I received an automated call from the insurance company saying they approved the prior-auth, even without me getting it filled first.  So, my new plan is to pick up a new RX from the doctor's office Monday for a set quantity.  Then, when that RX runs out, I just need to get my normal quantity/script written & picked up.  I am still a little nervous about finding a pharmacy that will have the full quantity, but right now, that's totally out of my control.  I need to focus on the here and now, and that is currently looking up.  Thank you all again for the kind, sweet words.  I know they have helped immensely.  It's so nice to know that I have folks I can vent to other than my mom & husband.  I don't know what I would do without you all!!  I hope everyone has a beautiful Sunday filled with whatever fulfills you!  (In our case, it will be freezing rain, but at least we don't have to go anywhere, and we have kittens-and adult kitties-to enjoy)!

I remember my mom once had a problem with getting a few of her meds and her Dr told her to go to the outpatient pharmacy in the hospital and they could fill it  

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

@Westiepeach, that is so hard. i am a big believer in the power of prayer and so i will talk to God about your cousin. it is scary to imagine that situation she is in.  i have become very conscious of exposure and taking precautions again. i had relaxed a bit but not any more.  some person at church hugged me yesterday and THEN  proceeded to tell me that he and his wife had had covid -- she was still sick but he was 'all better'.  i was not a happy person at that moment. i just prayed that God would keep me healthy. 

• Love 3

We celebrated my sister’s birthday yesterday- it’s our family tradition that after we celebrate her birthday her Christmas tree comes down and that marks the end of the Holiday season for us. She loved all of her presents and ate 1/2 of my mini bundt as well as her own🤣. For some reason 34 feels so much older to me than 33. I’ve been at this big sister thing for a while now, and I am so thankful my Mom has been right there with me. 

I took some photos of our little celebration and sent them to G, her former caregiver that retired in 2019. Well I had a chance to talk to G this morning, her husband D is in the hospital, she had to call in reinforcements to convince him to go. Ugh I am so sad that so many are sick. D had a very turbulent life and was not a success by most of societies standards, but he is a pure soul and my sister absolutely ADORES him. In another universe where he had loving parents and a better shot at an education he may have done well as a nurse or an educator to children with disabilities. 

For those that pray, please pray for D and keep him in your thoughts. I ask G did she have a way to get to dialysis and was she okay with groceries and everything. 

• Love 20

I'm pretty sure my husband and I have covid. (we're both double vaxxed and boosted.)

We've been sick since last Wednesday . I'm so tired of being sick. 😭

We both went to get a PCR test on Thursday, and still no results back yet. They did warn us it would be 5-7 days. Understandable since they're slammed rn.

(my sil said PCR tests are more accurate than the rapid tests.)

I don't want to burden my (grown) kids with how crappy we feel.. they'd freak out because I've already been intubated a few years ago because of a horrible asthma episode. 

Gosh only knows how much worse it would have been if we were unvaccinated. 

BTW, I just want to thank everyone who posts (or just reads) here for being people we can all "talk" to when we're feeling down and out. 💕

I'm missing having my mom and dad (and older sister) to talk to... 

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 9

We have family friends who took their son in for a PCR test about a week ago as soon as he started feeling sick and it was negative.  They were going to get together with another couple and their children on Friday so did home tests for all four of them.  His home test was positive.  

All of that to say if you have access to a home test kit, you might want to use it.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

My grandson has Covid, but gratefully no symptoms. He was tested because he was exposed at work. So my daughter and all 3 kids are isolating  until his quarantine is completed. Nobody else was tested so I’m just staying away for awhile. 
@ChiCricket I hope both you and your husband fare well. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

I'm pretty sure my husband and I have covid. (we're both double vaxxed and boosted.)

We've been sick since last Wednesday . I'm so tired of being sick. 😭

We both went to get a PCR test on Thursday, and still no results back yet. They did warn us it would be 5-7 days. Understandable since they're slammed rn.

(my sil said PCR tests are more accurate than the rapid tests.)

I don't want to burden my (grown) kids with how crappy we feel.. they'd freak out because I've already been intubated a few years ago because of a horrible asthma episode. 

Gosh only knows how much worse it would have been if we were unvaccinated. 

BTW, I just want to thank everyone who posts (or just reads) here for being people we can all "talk" to when we're feeling down and out. 💕

I'm missing having my mom and dad (and older sister) to talk to... 

I’m so sorry for you and your husband, but thankful it’s not a medical emergency. Get better really soon. 

Of course you miss your parents and sister- I am glad we have each other here as well. 

Update on D- he is on IV fluids and antibiotics. He’s able to have a conversation. He says he feels better but is tired. 

If you want to smile, look at these gifts my sister got for her bday from people who were not us- from her caregiver and then the picture from a friend of my Mom’s. She also got a nightgown. She gleefully let me hang the picture. I thought she might just want to carry it around, but I think she understood it was for the wall. 

6423212F-EF31-4643-95ED-AC754F0EA546.jpeg

0FD17438-4B15-4684-BD31-0867C30C5DE1.jpeg

• Love 24

@ChiCricket hope you and hubby feel better. I started feeling bad on 12/26 and was feeling horrible by New Year’s Eve.  I didn’t turn the corner until this past Sunday. All that to say get as much rest and fluids as you can. Every time we’d try get going too soon we’d set ourselves back. Take any pain or cold meds regularly too so you stay on top of it.  

FYI…I took 2 PCR tests that came back negative but I literally had every symptom except shortness of breath.  I also pulled a muscle in my back, so yep, omicron back issues too.  I think I waited too long to take the first test.  I’m boosted and vaxxed too and while I felt like maybe I was coming down with the flu, it was manageable, just really bad headaches and a sore throat. 

Hang in there.

• Love 13
50 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

@ChiCricket hope you and hubby feel better. I started feeling bad on 12/26 and was feeling horrible by New Year’s Eve.  I didn’t turn the corner until this past Sunday. All that to say get as much rest and fluids as you can. Every time we’d try get going too soon we’d set ourselves back. Take any pain or cold meds regularly too so you stay on top of it.  

FYI…I took 2 PCR tests that came back negative but I literally had every symptom except shortness of breath.  I also pulled a muscle in my back, so yep, omicron back issues too.  I think I waited too long to take the first test.  I’m boosted and vaxxed too and while I felt like maybe I was coming down with the flu, it was manageable, just really bad headaches and a sore throat. 

Hang in there.

My covid test got lost. But I had your symptoms plus extreme shortness of breath. I had no fever. I’m so mad my test got lost. I wanted to know if I had COVID or a cold.

Yay for you feeling better! 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

My covid test got lost. But I had your symptoms plus extreme shortness of breath. I had no fever. I’m so mad my test got lost. I wanted to know if I had COVID or a cold.

Yay for you feeling better! 

That stinks!  I went to CVS to get my first test and the tester was out with COVID!  OTOH, I got the results of my drive thru PCR test at Walgreens back the next day.

• Love 6
On 1/12/2022 at 10:26 AM, Ijustwantsomechips said:

That stinks!  I went to CVS to get my first test and the tester was out with COVID!  OTOH, I got the results of my drive thru PCR test at Walgreens back the next day.

I never got mine either. They said 5-7 days and today is the 7th day, and nothing. 

At least today I finally feel 1/2 human again. The most lingering symptom is my sore throat, and if I try to talk above a whisper, I have a SEVERE (™JRod😁) coughing fit and can't catch my breath.

Did this happen to anyone else who got (what I can assume is) covid? 

1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

I never got mine either. They said 5-7 days and today is the 7th day, and nothing. 

At least today I finally feel 1/2 human again. The most lingering symptom is my sore throat, and if I try to talk above a whisper, I have a SEVERE (™JRod😁) coughing fit and can't catch my breath.

No

• Useful 1
43 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

No

interesting. my texas kid tested glaringly positive. her symptoms are runny nose, sneezing and scratchy throat.  this is her 2nd time catching covid in 3 months. she says she feels fine. she has to have a 5 day 'quarantine' from work. grandson was sent home from school a few days ago with fever and headache. he tested negative.  

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

It took two weeks for my sore throat to go away.

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Useful 1
On 1/13/2022 at 3:55 PM, ChiCricket said:

My 3 grands in New Mexico now have all tested positive for covid.

They feel cruddy, but otherwise doing OK.. Just congested, feverish, and sneezy. (all 3 are one time vaxxed. )

My daughter and her husband so far haven't gotten it. (both are vaxxed and boosted.)

She wrote this to me:

"Now it is like the Zombie apocalypse here. The kids (zombies) are all infected and hanging out together unmasked in the living room, binge-watching Disney+.

If N or I (non-zombies) come downstairs they yell at us to "stay away!" 

Which is good because (as I've mentioned) he's a doctor and badly needed rn. 

FEMA even sent in military people to help in his hospital.. all the doctors and nurses are exhausted (plus I'm sure everyone else that works there.)

He said they're a great help (especially lifting and turning patients.)

The end. 😁

Ps I lied.. one more thing:

Still no test results.. but I did get this today. 

Screenshot_20220114-091815.jpg

I hope anyone in the path of this upcoming snow storm stays safe. 

Seems like it's aimed at some areas that don't usually get much snow, and therefore aren't as prepared as Chicagoland usually is. 😕

Not to jinx it, but it looks like our area is just going to get lightly dusted. 

Hurry and get your bread and milk (maybe a bottle of wine, too) 😁 

Screenshot_20220114-201001.jpg

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 10
14 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Seems like it's aimed at some areas that don't usually get much snow, and therefore aren't as prepared as Chicagoland usually is. 😕

Hurry and get your bread and milk (maybe a bottle of wine too) 😁 

I was looking at that too @ChiCricket- it looks like we will be spared, especially in the city like me. 

I am SO stressed out and tense. Work frustrations. I have been WFH 100% since early December (before we were hybrid  1-2 days a week); my MacBook Air is just damn old to remote in to our systems quickly and it wasn’t designed to support two external monitors. I have been making do, but I have deadlines and when the grey circle of doom appears, and I can’t scroll to read documents it’s impossible to get anything done. yes I have been online with apple tech support and tech support at work- it’s not the internet it’s too old- not enough RAM. I have the bare minimum for remoting in and it’s just not cutting it. 

I am buying a new MacBook Pro at the end of the month. I had a Mack Book Pro in law school, but when I was working in the office, a Max Book Air was just fine for email, online shopping etc (also- my Mom bought my law school computer, when I was working and had to buy it myself I wanted to spend less). 

I am going to have to log on this weekend and handle some emails etc just so I can start fresh for the work week and not be behind. In the grand scheme of things it can be fixed, but damn it’s been a PITA.

• Love 14
30 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Hurry and get your bread and milk (maybe a bottle of wine, too) 😁 

Screenshot_20220114-201001.jpg

Our weather people are going nuts trying to figure out when the temp will drop here, so they can't tell us if we'll get a light dusting of snow or several inches. And each forecast is different. Unfortunately, earlier this week, I was dumb enough to volunteer to cover someone's library shift tomorrow, before I realized there was potential winter weather. I've seen quite a few of the meteorologists say this is the one of the hardest forecasts they've tried to do because it's just so hard to tell. 

One weather guy actually posted this on FB:

271802082_478643053625171_42478964184524

Some other gems:

Y0BuAync1S8WogmZSskt_1eUIBh-UaV5LTBYiPIe

jgClzRZRs6RPPOzUagFMrnWTd4bwX992kZOd7k9B

W72rxkjCkvkl6kebcBfgjx_d-Ad5lphYq74rHcLY

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Zella said:

Our weather people are going nuts trying to figure out when the temp will drop here, so they can't tell us if we'll get a light dusting of snow or several inches. And each forecast is different. Unfortunately, earlier this week, I was dumb enough to volunteer to cover someone's library shift tomorrow, before I realized there was potential winter weather. I've seen quite a few of the meteorologists say this is the one of the hardest forecasts they've tried to do because it's just so hard to tell. 

One weather guy actually posted this on FB:

271802082_478643053625171_42478964184524

Some other gems:

Y0BuAync1S8WogmZSskt_1eUIBh-UaV5LTBYiPIe

jgClzRZRs6RPPOzUagFMrnWTd4bwX992kZOd7k9B

W72rxkjCkvkl6kebcBfgjx_d-Ad5lphYq74rHcLY

I can only see the first one with Ben Affleck!

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Hmm they all are visible to me on both of our posts. I'm gonna blame that one on the weather too. LOL 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 6
38 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

How about now? Adding them directly from my phone downloads rather than trying to copy and paste URLS.

FB_IMG_1642110860234.thumb.jpg.c01f40e145baf0d8af8d2dec38000287.jpg

xrkd8.thumb.jpg.2d6dc8db927c40cb974dc39fbc9723a7.jpg

FB_IMG_1642192617134.thumb.jpg.5ae2136930c00b88cc925e354f2917fd.jpg

• LOL 14
  • Love 4

No snow predicted where I’m at, but single digit temperatures with wind chill well below zero. Then it will be in the upper 40s by Monday. I feel like we are having some weird temperature swings this winter. Last Friday saw a foot of snow, which was 80% melted by Sunday afternoon. 

On an unrelated note, I’m annoyed at how often I’m waking up in the middle of the night and then not being able to go back to sleep for a few hours. It’s throwing my schedule all off! 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

No snow predicted where I’m at, but single digit temperatures with wind chill well below zero. Then it will be in the upper 40s by Monday. I feel like we are having some weird temperature swings this winter. Last Friday saw a foot of snow, which was 80% melted by Sunday afternoon. 

On an unrelated note, I’m annoyed at how often I’m waking up in the middle of the night and then not being able to go back to sleep for a few hours. It’s throwing my schedule all off! 

Have you tried these? You can take them in the middle of the night because you only need 3 hours of sleep. And they don’t make you groggy the next day.

BA0C970B-F5BD-49A4-B51B-3DCE836873C5.jpeg

• Useful 3
3 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Our ER's and ICU's are, quite frankly, a war zone right now.  I wouldn't go there as a patient unless I thought something life threatening was happening.

I'm glad the National Guard is really helping. Thanks for that report. A heartfelt tip of my hat to all medical/hospital staff. Truly. Thank you all. From the bottom of my heart.

I'd thought that by now (mid-January) I would be enjoying an extended road trip in the warmth of the desert Southwest (AZ), to get a break from Denver winters. I'm not worried about getting dangerously ill with COVID; I'm vaxxed and boosted although I'm old. But I'm aware that hospitals (and I think the medical care system in general) everywhere are just so full and stressed right now. I'd rather not risk getting sick or injured while far away from home with things as they are. I'm hanging out here in town for awhile longer. 

In the meantime I've been exploring the possibilities of taking some Amtrak trips later in the year. Which has led me to railcams and train watching via YouTube. A new hobby. 

• Love 15

My daughter and husband both have COVID right now.  Both of them were vaxxed but not boosted.  I just got my booster a month ago and so far have no symptoms.   Neither of them feel too bad so I'm grateful for that.  Now I'm just trying to avoid catching it.  I'm a nurse and am really needed at work.  I feel bad for my daughter though because she was supposed to be starting her college semester this Tuesday.  I'm hoping her professors work with her about missing the first week.  I'm just grateful that they both seem to be improving already.

• Love 21
23 hours ago, Zella said:

Hmm they all are visible to me on both of our posts. I'm gonna blame that one on the weather too. LOL 

Make sure it wasn't the router ;) 

We were originally getting 8-10 inches of snow, and now we are National Weather Service official at 1-2 inches with more icing than snow.  So far, at least where we live, we're roughly at 2-3 inches total for the winter.  I'll take it.

@anyasmom, I hope your daughter & husband are both continually on the mend and you don't get sick. You will all be in my thoughts.   

Mr. Six got his booster this week, and all he's had was a sore arm.  I'm getting my booster next Saturday, which I'm oddly looking forward to.  Does anyone have any recent experience with cataract surgery?  My mom found out this week that her vision has drastically changed so much in 6 months, that she'll be needing it sooner rather than later.  I'm worried about her being by herself through it.  I know she has folks that can take her to the various appointments, but since my dad passed away, she's alone.  Between Covid and my own health issues, it's looking like I cannot be with her.  Chances are, I'm going to be needing 3 or 4 specialist appointments between the beginning of February and end of May.  Sometimes it sucks to be an only child.

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, sixlets said:

Make sure it wasn't the router ;) 

😂😂😂

I'm at about 6-ish inches, and it's still snowing. It's been snowing nonstop since at least 7 am. I wasn't at work for very long before bailing (with my boss's permission), and I'm glad I did. My dog is very displeased with the snow and doesn't appreciate the snow tunnels made for his benefit. LOL

Take care with the ice! I like snow (within reason). I hate ice! 

You and your mom will be in my thoughts. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 7

While some of you are dealing with snow and cold, on the California coast we had a tsunami warning this morning due to the volcano eruption near Tonga. All the beaches and piers were closed. Of course, all the crazy people high tailed it over to the beaches as soon as they could hoping to see a tsunami.  The lifeguards tried to shoo them away. Turned out to be no problem, but they didn’t know it at the time. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏽‍♂️

• Love 10
8 hours ago, sixlets said:

Does anyone have any recent experience with cataract surgery?  My mom found out this week that her vision has drastically changed so much in 6 months, that she'll be needing it sooner rather than later.  I'm worried about her being by herself through it.  I know she has folks that can take her to the various appointments, but since my dad passed away, she's alone.  Between Covid and my own health issues, it's looking like I cannot be with her.  Chances are, I'm going to be needing 3 or 4 specialist appointments between the beginning of February and end of May.  Sometimes it sucks to be an only child.

My mom had one eye done in late 2020 and the other in early 2021, so both during the pandemic. She was much more frustrated by the logistics of the multiple appointments (difficult scheduling due to Covid, weather-related complications, sheer number of check-ins needed) than anything else. She was barely physically affected and basically went about her usual business. 

”Mom, I told you I would cook.”

”I know, but I’m bored.”

”Can you even see well enough to do that?”

”Well, everything’s tinged blue through the eye they’ve already done and yellow through the eye they haven’t done yet. It’s interesting.” 

• Love 10