Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

@Scarlett45, you are doing amazing! Your commitment is really inspiring. Sounds like shopping trip is in order. Even though you want to lose a bit more, you should celebrate where you are now, and the effort it took you to get there!

I did get four pairs work pants from Old Navy so I would not look like a bum in public. My sweaters are still okay they are BIG rather than fitted but thick winter sweaters are more forgiving. Given in Chicago you really do need TWO distinct wardrobes, I know I will buy a fair number of things at the Nordstrom Anniversary sale in the summer (for fall), and new spring things probably in March/April. 

Edited to add- I think I may sign up for Stitch Fix in a few months- my Mom did quarterly ones for the last few years, and the stylists are REALLY GOOD. I have seen the things they sent her, and some of the times she already had almost the same thing. I generally like picking (that's half the fun) but given that I NEED new things, getting bimonthly might be fun. My mom cancelled hers when she retired, the woman needs new clothes like I need fat cells (the first thing she learned to do on the internet was shop!).

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
On 1/28/2022 at 9:16 PM, CalicoKitty said:

My cats have no interest in it at all.  I do have extreme cat approval on Yeeoww cat toys.  They absolutely love the banana-shaped ones.

Thank you for this suggestion, @CalicoKitty! I ordered the banana shaped one for our almost 17 year old cat and he's having a blast and acting like a younger kitty!

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I did get four pairs work pants from Old Navy so I would not look like a bum in public. My sweaters are still okay they are BIG rather than fitted but thick winter sweaters are more forgiving. Given in Chicago you really do need TWO distinct wardrobes, I know I will buy a fair number of things at the Nordstrom Anniversary sale in the summer (for fall), and new spring things probably in March/April. 

Edited to add- I think I may sign up for Stitch Fix in a few months- my Mom did quarterly ones for the last few years, and the stylists are REALLY GOOD. I have seen the things they sent her, and some of the times she already had almost the same thing. I generally like picking (that's half the fun) but given that I NEED new things, getting bimonthly might be fun. My mom cancelled hers when she retired, the woman needs new clothes like I need fat cells (the first thing she learned to do on the internet was shop!).

Stitch fix does a pretty good job, just be sure to complete all the questions about your preferences.  Also, you can go online before your next Fix is mailed and opt not to get some items and even replace them with other stuff you'd like to try.  The website has a lot of outfits of every kind and will use your info to help put things together if you want to use it.  I get a box ever 3-6 months and try to preview them so I don't get stuff that is too similar to things I already have.  I forgot to do it with the last box and ended up getting a quilted vest and a pair of navy pants that were too much like stuff I already have.  I kept a cute sweater though that I probably wouldn't have picked for myself but turned out to look much better on me than I expected.

They also send a big envelope to mail back anything you don't want to keep postage paid.  You can give price ranges for various items of clothing so you won't get stuff that is too expensive or cheap stuff if you need or want nicer quality things for work or a special occasion.  If you keep the whole box (I never have), you get 25% off the total.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 5
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Rootbeer said:

Stitch fix does a pretty good job, just be sure to complete all the questions about your preferences.  Also, you can go online before your next Fix is mailed and opt not to get some items and even replace them with other stuff you'd like to try.  The website has a lot of outfits of every kind and will use your info to help put things together if you want to use it.  I get a box ever 3-6 months and try to preview them so I don't get stuff that is too similar to things I already have.  I forgot to do it with the last box and ended up getting a quilted vest and a pair of navy pants that were too much like stuff I already have.  I kept a cute sweater though that I probably wouldn't have picked for myself but turned out to look much better on me than I expected.

They also send a big envelope to mail back anything you don't want to keep postage paid.  You can give price ranges for various items of clothing so you won't get stuff that is too expensive for your or cheap stuff if you need or want better things for work or a special occasion.  If you keep the whole box (I never have), you get 25% off the total.

Yeah I am aware- my Mom has been doing it for a few years, who do you think had to wrap up all the stuff she didn’t want and send it back? 

ME!!!!!!!!!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

No that she’s retired maybe she will have more “time” to do things like that? It’s only been a month and I have been telling her she needs to relax. Who am I kidding- that’s what I am for!

• LOL 4
1 minute ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yeah I am aware- my Mom has been doing it for a few years, who do you think had to wrap up all the stuff she didn’t want and send it back? 

ME!!!!!!!!!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

No that she’s retired maybe she will have more “time” to do things like that? It’s only been a month and I have been telling her she needs to relax. Who am I kidding- that’s what I am for!

I'm surprised there was anything to wrap.  My boxes have always had a huge pre-paid mailing envelope and I can just drop everything I'm not keeping into it, seal it and drop it in the mail.  Doesn't take 2 minutes.  Another nice thing about Stitch Fix, IMO.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

I'm surprised there was anything to wrap.  My boxes have always had a huge pre-paid mailing envelope and I can just drop everything I'm not keeping into it, seal it and drop it in the mail.  Doesn't take 2 minutes.  Another nice thing about Stitch Fix, IMO.

Yeah. I still would wrap it up in the packing tissue and put it in the envelope, fold it over nicely so it packed down tight without air and walk it to the mailbox. 

It does take two minutes, but she still wanted me to do it! (That’s why it’s funny)

I will let you know if I get it and if I keep stuff.image.png.87c794efbe7481a9723fd9a84d97e93f.png

• Love 1
On 1/30/2022 at 4:13 PM, ChiCricket said:

This woman reminds me of JRod.(this guy set music to her anti-mask ranting.)  

"I am a Christian Woman of God!!!!!" 

That ending was awesome!!! BTW, I'm not a 'Christian Woman of God', but I didn't sign up for this pandemic, either. And it doesn't effing matter 'cause it's here and we all get to deal with it.

• Love 4

I don’t know where to post this per se, so I’m going to leave it with all of you to weigh in on. In the state of North Carolina it is no longer necessary to have a prescription for birth control pills. I’m not against women taking them, but this is what gives me pause. A lot of females only see the OB-GYN to get birth control. A full pelvic exam is usually done including a Pap smear. They will also do a screening for anemia, cholesterol and check their BP.  Now that they no longer need to for the the rx, I’m afraid of lots of women will be skipping their yearly and that there’s going to be an increase in cervical cancer not being diagnosed early enough for easier treatments. I also worry about when women age out of taking them (or are smokers) and that might increase their risks of strokes or breast cancer. I’ve known women who’s only experience of seeing a MD is for their female physical and now that the pill is OTC they might no longer be proactive with their health and get check ups on a regular basis. This concerns me. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Nysha said:

Thank you for the explanation, @Rootbeer. My mind went immediately to 'the state doesn't want to pay for gyn. exams or birth control for Medicaid clients'. But, I've become increasingly cynical over the last 6 years.

The price for birth control pills will drop drastically if they are available over the counter.  Currently, it can be 60 bucks or more for a pack of pills each month.  It costs less than 5 bucks to manufacture those pills.  Pharmaceutical companies can still make a very substantial profit from the pill even if it goes over the counter; but they're part of the resistance to it.

The state doesn't want to pay for pregnancy and childbirth, let alone the cost of caring for a child, either.  Believe me, Medicaid understands that access to contraception saves them money and I would expect that something will be worked out to cover it if it goes over the counter.  As it is, most over the counter medications and medical devices can be obtained for free by Medicaid patients with a doctor's prescription.  Stuff like condoms, vaporizers, bandages, thermometers and blood pressure cuffs are provided free to Medicaid clients with a physician prescription.  They will figure something out for birth control pills.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

60 bucks or more for a pack of pills

Oh that’s just too much money. I’m glad this hopefully can reduce the cost. 

I wasn’t being cranky about these going OTC. I’m just worried about those who need a regular check up with a Dr and don’t do it any other way. In NC the unplanned pregnancy rate is 44% and I’m positive that this will help many women find a means of lowering that statistic. Thank you for the discussion. 

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

The price for birth control pills will drop drastically if they are available over the counter.  Currently, it can be 60 bucks or more for a pack of pills each month.  It costs less than 5 bucks to manufacture those pills.  Pharmaceutical companies can still make a very substantial profit from the pill even if it goes over the counter; but they're part of the resistance to it.

The state doesn't want to pay for pregnancy and childbirth, let alone the cost of caring for a child, either.  Believe me, Medicaid understands that access to contraception saves them money and I would expect that something will be worked out to cover it if it goes over the counter.  As it is, most over the counter medications and medical devices can be obtained for free by Medicaid patients with a doctor's prescription.  Stuff like condoms, vaporizers, bandages, thermometers and blood pressure cuffs are provided free to Medicaid clients with a physician prescription.  They will figure something out for birth control pills.

When I worked at Planned Parenthood in the 90s, Indiana required a pelvic exam prior to getting an abortion, and for many women (especially the poorer, more rural ones) , they were the very first gyn exams they had ever had. In some cases, those exams may have saved their lives, because tests uncovered pelvic inflammatory disease, syphilis, etc at times and they finally got treatment for them.

• Love 2

Mommy Rabbitron here I had the best luck today it is snowing here and I don't want my daughter to drive in it but I needed food so I use instacart.com.  I unpacked my groceries and I saw something in the bag that I didn't order it was a 16.00 piece of steak.  I called instacart.com was not charged for it and they told me to keep it and I don't even like steak. 

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

Mommy Rabbitron here I had the best luck today it is snowing here and I don't want my daughter to drive in it but I needed food so I use instacart.com.  I unpacked my groceries and I saw something in the bag that I didn't order it was a 16.00 piece of steak.  I called instacart.com was not charged for it and they told me to keep it and I don't even like steak. 

i had a similar incident this week. i often order clothes out of a catalog - this time it was new jeans. when i opened my box with 5 of the 6 pairs i bought, there was a winter coat inside the box as well. and it basically fits too. there is not a phone number on the bill of sale so i need to get a catalog out and see if there is a phone number to call. if they are anything like amazon, they will tell me to keep it. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

Any friends or neighbors that would like it? With my Instacart order this week I got a 12 pack of Diet Coke- I don’t drink pop at all. But my sister’s caregiver likes Diet Coke so I left it at my Mom’s house as a beverage for her to enjoy. 

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

So we can discuss Rodrigues family here? I think we can not talk about them in sweet fellowship section anymore.

Sorry the quote double posted. I personally would not like to see The Prayer Closet devolve into a discussion of the Rodrigues family. How about you start a new thread for discussion about them? 

6 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

So we can discuss Rodrigues family here? I think we can not talk about them in sweet fellowship section anymore. 

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, jacourt said:

I think the rods are covered in the other thread because their daughter dis married to Annas brother.

The Rods have also appeared on the Duggar's show as guests at one of the weddings.  They weren't featured, but they were definitely on the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

My breast cancer scare is over! Second scan showed nothing abnormal, so I can good for the year. 

I took an Uber because the parking in the area is non-existent. Rode home in a Tesla. 👍

Wonderful news!! Glad it turned out to be nothing abnormal! 

• Love 8

Oh, can't edit my last post, but on the topic of what not to post in the Sweet Fellowship thread, I think that referred to Karissa Collins. We went off the rails talking about her. However, the Rods have been on 19 Kids. Jill and GWE were front and center at one of the weddings, and how can we forget Jill leaking the date/location of Jinger's wedding?

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

My breast cancer scare is over! Second scan showed nothing abnormal, so I am good for the year. 

I took an Uber because the parking in the area is non-existent. Rode home in a Tesla. 👍

I’m so glad!

• Love 4

We are currently in the midst of Landon. We got freezing rain and sleet yesterday, so the snow is a nice change. I am grateful to work remotely, and my chihuahua is most displeased with the whole event. Mr. Turquoise was supposed to have his surgery follow-up today, that has been postponed. Everyone stay safe and warm!

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Turquoise said:

We are currently in the midst of Landon. We got freezing rain and sleet yesterday, so the snow is a nice change. I am grateful to work remotely, and my chihuahua is most displeased with the whole event. Mr. Turquoise was supposed to have his surgery follow-up today, that has been postponed. Everyone stay safe and warm!

I hope Mr Turquoise is feeling well!

We’re getting rain at the moment. This is supposed to be followed by the temperature going down , a wintry mix, and ice. There are all kinds of warnings about the roads overnight , and tomorrow morning. 🥶 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Turquoise said:

1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

I hope Mr Turquoise is feeling well!

We’re getting rain at the moment. This is supposed to be followed by the temperature going down , a wintry mix, and ice. There are all kinds of warnings about the roads overnight , and tomorrow morning. 🥶 

Stay safe and warm!

• Love 3

We are also in the middle of Landon. I’m in NE Ohio, smack dab in the snow belt and we are getting hammered. Closed my office today and my current situation is making homemade sauce from tomatoes from our garden that I canned, baking white chocolate macadamia nut cookies, and shoveling snow to clear the pee pit for Harley. Harley has no idea why I am home today… he is seriously a creature of habit!

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

We are also in the middle of Landon. I’m in NE Ohio, smack dab in the snow belt and we are getting hammered. Closed my office today and my current situation is making homemade sauce from tomatoes from our garden that I canned, baking white chocolate macadamia nut cookies, and shoveling snow to clear the pee pit for Harley. Harley has no idea why I am home today… he is seriously a creature of habit!

I’m in SW Ohio and the storm has been underwhelming. I may be the only one who wanted one day in a winter wonderland! We’ve only gotten an inch or 2 of snow and now just some sleet. 

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

I’m in SW Ohio and the storm has been underwhelming. I may be the only one who wanted one day in a winter wonderland! We’ve only gotten an inch or 2 of snow and now just some sleet. 

C’mon up here and sit by me. We have exactly what the weather people told us. It is snowing very steady… I have shoveled the Pee Pit at least a half dozen times. It is not a heavy snowstorm, per se, but fluffy snow, and very steady, and not letting up. Roads are reported as gawd-awful, stay home, do not drive if you don’t have to. Worst part is the layer of ice below the snow. We had a bad storm on MLK Day, but that one was fast and furious snowfall. I think this one is worse, IMHO.

• Love 4

Everyone stay safe and warm!

We have a glaze of ice and several inches of snow here. They'd been predicting a lot more ice and less snow earlier this week. The meteorologist had the audacity to evoke our 2009 ice storm earlier this week in comparison and I nearly lost my mind, so I'm glad they got the forecast wrong locally this time. 

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

WTF? That's plain strange.

that was my thought as well. if you have kids of sledding age you already know where the sledding hills are. it's not like snow and sledding is a rare thing in SE michigan. my grands were out sledding at 9 am yesterday because Snow Day!! no QR code needed because every kid from their street was also out at the same hill.

• Love 8

We had our "big snow" over Christmas, and it did disrupt driving and deliveries for about a week.  But we have been having cold but beautiful weather since then.   It is cold--it was 8 as I pulled into the Church parking lot 2 weeks ago, and 16 last week, but the air is crisp and clean, and the mountains are beautiful and covered in snow.  I'm sure we will have more weather coming, but I am really enjoying the beauty right now.  I hope everyone who is in the path of the storm is staying safe and warm.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

C’mon up here and sit by me. We have exactly what the weather people told us. It is snowing very steady… I have shoveled the Pee Pit at least a half dozen times. It is not a heavy snowstorm, per se, but fluffy snow, and very steady, and not letting up. Roads are reported as gawd-awful, stay home, do not drive if you don’t have to. Worst part is the layer of ice below the snow. We had a bad storm on MLK Day, but that one was fast and furious snowfall. I think this one is worse, IMHO.

I live west of Cleveland, NOT in the snow belt.  When I got up this morning, there was only a couple inches of new snow, the snow was falling very intermittently.  Since I work in health care, no snow day for us.  However, I usually see 20+ patients in the office every day.  My schedule was completely full as of yesterday morning.  By this morning, all but 4 had canceled and only 2 of them actually came to their appointment.

Starting around mid morning, the snow began falling steadily and has been ever since.  The wind has picked up and is swirling.  I made it to work just fine, but by the time I left at 3PM, visibility was essentially zero and there was probably an additional 6 inches on the ground.  I saw around half a dozen plows on the main roads but they were still slippery because of the layer of ice under the snow and because it was falling too fast for the plows to keep up.  The side streets are a mess, I just put my foot on the gas and kept going up my street so I wouldn't get stuck and parked at the end of my driveway to prevent being snowed in tomorrow.  However, unless there is a dramatic change in conditions, I don't care what my employer says, I ain't going to work.  Schools everywhere have already closed for tomorrow.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 8

Untreated areas still had ice. With the rain some washed away. Where it didn’t is worse now with the rain. You wouldn’t think ice could get more slippery. I’m here to tell you it can. The temperature is still above freezing. Now it seems it will go below freezing in the morning. It’s supposed to continue raining. The problem with that is, there won’t be any pretreatment or salting going on.

• Love 1

Y’all are going to hate me, but I’m having an abnormal heat wave. 74 tomorrow. Before you really dislike me I’d like to add that it’s probably going to rain. 
  I hope nobody loses their power, stays warm and I declare a snow day for anyone who had snow or ice. Stay safe friends. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Y’all are going to hate me, but I’m having an abnormal heat wave. 74 tomorrow. Before you really dislike me I’d like to add that it’s probably going to rain. 
  I hope nobody loses their power, stays warm and I declare a snow day for anyone who had snow or ice. Stay safe friends. 

We deserve that 74 tomorrow after the last 3 weekends.   Don't get me wrong, I love winter weather, but only in places that are equipped to handle the snow.  

• Love 5