Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I also read earlier this week that Becki performed fellatio on a student band member who crashed at the Falwell's house (he was a friend of Falwell's son). This came from the former student himself. 

I wish I could dig up the article, but I don't remember where I read it. At any rate, Becki also seems to be a horny piece of work. It's not just Jer.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I also read earlier this week that Becki performed fellatio on a student band member who crashed at the Falwell's house (he was a friend of Falwell's son). This came from the former student himself. 

I wish I could dig up the article, but I don't remember where I read it. At any rate, Becki also seems to be a horny piece of work. It's not just Jer.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsls.com/news/local/2020/08/28/former-liberty-university-student-says-becki-falwell-initiated-sexual-encounter-politico-reports/%3foutputType=amp

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m very upset today. I wish I had an ounce of HFC’s good writing skills.
My friend’s dog, attacked my cat, inside my house. My cat was injured.
Somehow it’s my fault 🙀😢

Oh, no! I hope your kitty will be okay. I don't see how this could be your fault. I'm sure the kitties will make a new policy about dogs inside the house.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Oh, no! I hope your kitty will be okay. I don't see how this could be your fault. I'm sure the kitties will make a new policy about dogs inside the house.

Sadly, the friendship has been lost because I should have corralled my kitties better in my own home when someone asked to come over with their dog and do 4 loads of laundry. I am gutted. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Sadly, the friendship has been lost because I should have corralled my kitties better in my own home when someone asked to come over with their dog and do 4 loads of laundry. I am gutted. 

I'm so sorry. You have to protect your kittens. I can't imagine how scary that must have been. <hugs>

ETA: yeah, what @Absolom said. I'm sure it was shocking but that doesn't excuse that sort of reaction.

Is the kitty okay?

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 7

One of my cats had all of her teeth removed a couple of days ago.  Her gingivitis had progressed to stomatitis and she was in a lot of pain.  She is doing pretty well.  She sleeps behind the  couch, so I can't get to her to give her pain meds, but she comes out and wants attention and is eating.  I give her her pain meds when I can but she is not complaining.  She seems so much happier, and I'm happy knowing she is out of pain.  Now to figure out what to do about my other cat's heart murmur.  Seems like it is always something!

• Love 12
3 hours ago, zoomama said:

i have decided to wait till the biopsy and when i know one way or another what it is, i will have a family zoom meeting and tell them all. that will of course be before the surgery happens. none of them live local. i feel like telling them all at once will save me headaches, complaints  and such. tomorrow is my birthday and i was originally thinking about doing it then so i can see all my grands. i thought that thru and then i figured it was better for everyone's schedules if i wait till i have the biopsy report so i can answer their many questions. i am gong to ask my hubby tonight for his input.  btw, he is taking me to a beach resort for the weekend!  

Zoomama, I think your decision of when to share your medical information with your family sounds good. I am so glad you will be getting out of town to the beach for your birthday. Have a wonderful weekend!  🎂💐

@Mindthinkr, I am so sorry about your kitty and loss of friendship. I know you are devastated. Sending you comforting hugs.

• Love 10

@Mindthinkr I hope your cat's okay. I agree with everyone else that the friend was being no friend. As a dog owner, I am appalled that anyone would take their dog to someone else's house and then blame the homeowner when the dog attacks the other person's cat. 😞 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

That’s not a real friend. Is your cat okay?

• Love 7
8 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I was in the audience when he was on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert a couple years ago. His Met Gala outfit that year was epic.

Eff cancer. 43 is way too young. 

Such a devastating loss of a talented man.  Hard to believe he'd been battling cancer, including multiple surgeries and chemo, over the past four years while performing in multiple films.  Love to his family and friends.  May he rest in power.

• Love 19

Kitty update: His paw was swollen yesterday. Not too badly. I tried to check it. I saw no visible cuts or bite marks and he has all of his nails. He is still limping, but not as much as he was yesterday. I think he’s just going to need time to heal. He may of strained or sprained a muscle fighting. He’s going to be 17 in October and isn’t used to that much activity. I think in time all will be well. The “friend“ did get in touch yesterday to let me know her dog had a small scratch on his nose. Not deep, but she had to search  for it. I told her “I’m sorry my cat scratched your dog” hoping she would get the idea that this is a proper reply. Nope. I think the friendship is over. 
@CalicoKitty Your poor kitty losing all of her teeth. Glad she is eating. I hope the other cats murmur doesn’t need treatment. 

40 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

May he rest in power.

Beautifully said Doodlebug. 

• Love 14
24 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Kitty update: His paw was swollen yesterday. Not too badly. I tried to check it. I saw no visible cuts or bite marks and he has all of his nails. He is still limping, but not as much as he was yesterday. I think he’s just going to need time to heal. He may of strained or sprained a muscle fighting. He’s going to be 17 in October and isn’t used to that much activity. I think in time all will be well. The “friend“ did get in touch yesterday to let me know her dog had a small scratch on his nose. Not deep, but she had to search  for it. I told her “I’m sorry my cat scratched your dog” hoping she would get the idea that this is a proper reply. Nope. I think the friendship is over. 
@CalicoKitty Your poor kitty losing all of her teeth. Glad she is eating. I hope the other cats murmur doesn’t need treatment. 

Beautifully said Doodlebug. 

I am so sorry this happened to you. Some times friendships need to end and this may be one of those times. I know though, that you still have to deal with the loss and perhaps the feeling of betrayal.  Sending thoughts of comfort and strength to you.

• Love 12

Lots of serious stuff going on. So much illness and serious family issues on this thread. Thinking of you all and remembering you in my prayers.

My dad went to hospital yesterday after a fall:(. He came home today. Ailing parents are a concern.  Never thought I’d be here. 

Trying to stay positive. Watching Fleetwood Mac : The Dance. Music keeps me sane. 

For those with eye issues. I feel your pain.  I suffered for years. I had a miracle with acupuncture about a year ago. I always give thanks for that. Everyone is different, but I went from hopeless to relieved in relatively short time. I’ll never take that for granted. 

Ok. I hadn’t been in the ABC store in about 8 years. I’m more of a wine person. Anyway, had on my mask, dark sunglasses, and hair in ponytail when I went in to make a purchase......why didn’t I get carded? Lol. I mean, he could have made my day. Last time I did get carded and I wasn’t wearing a mask. Lol.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 10
On 8/27/2020 at 12:53 PM, Happyfatchick said:

I squeezed my eyes shut, made fists, faced your direction and concentrated hard so you’d get my feelings on a little breeze.  You’re a little further than I thought and I peed myself a little.  You’re welcome.  

Oh Happyfatchick, you ought to copyright that paragraph, because I'm going to use it or a variation of it in the many situations where I don't know what to say and i want to say something and it's got to show how much I care and I'm stumped. 

Now that problem is solved! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Porkchop said:

Oh Happyfatchick, you ought to copyright that paragraph, because I'm going to use it or a variation of it in the many situations where I don't know what to say and i want to say something and it's got to show how much I care and I'm stumped. 

Now that problem is solved! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Same here! @Happyfatchick I love your writing style and your new shiny RED  barn. All barns should be red.

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

@SunnyBeBe I’m sorry to hear about your Dad. Is he alright? I’m just going to assume that he didn’t break anything as he is already home. Falls at later years can be very damaging. I hope he recovers quickly. 

Thank you for concern as well as others. He didn’t have any fractures, thank goodness. Now, just trying to figure out the cause and options. I want them to downsize...they are resistant.  As we become more and more involved with family caretaking it gets more involved.  Aging is complicated. 

• Love 16
13 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Such a devastating loss of a talented man.  Hard to believe he'd been battling cancer, including multiple surgeries and chemo, over the past four years while performing in multiple films.  Love to his family and friends.  May he rest in power.

You seriously wouldn't have known to see him in person at the time. Such a vibrant man. I'm absolutely in awe how he kept going.

• Love 8

@Mindthinkr:

I’m pretty sure I lost a friend this week too.  I kind of wish she’d said something mean about one of my dogs or one of my grandchildren.  I’m actually not so sad losing the friend as you would think - she’s in another state but visits me often because she has a romance going on here.  I’m sort of “home base”.  This has been a point of contention so MANNNNNY times over the years (she’s actually the side piece, and he’s ugly as sin and has a weak personality.  I don’t get it).  But We’ve had words - crying cat fights, really - over whether she’s using me or not.  (She is).  My son got married and she’s jumping up and down “oh, I’ll come help!  I’ll help you!”  But then... when she arrived, the squeezy guy failed to respond to her texts and she was unable to hook up with him and was dejected and weepy the whole time.  When I moved houses, she was so excited to come down and help with the move.  And actually sent me a SPREAD SHEET ahead of time so I would be aware of the times she expected to be out of touch.  BIIIIG FIGHT that time.  I know I sound jealous of the guy - but I most certainly am not.  I think ... I think I wouldn’t mind as much if she’d be honest and said “hey, can I come stay sort of at your house (sort of not) while I get my squeeze on??”  I mean, just STOP with the trying to placate ME when you’re only coming so he can cheat.  
Anyway, since I eloquently told her how beautiful my barn is, i haven’t heard from her.

i cannot, for the LIFE of me, imagine a friend who comes to do laundry and brings their damn DOG (when you have cats).  You have a SEVENTEEN year old cat.  This cat has earned some peace, sunshine and laziness, and possibly some lasagna.   My God. Having just lost my baby last weekend, precious old man that he was, I honestly (unapologetically) did not allow too many people or people with active dogs around for his last little bit.  What a totally clueless rude obnoxious person you have for an ex friend.   Where will your person do laundry next week?  And where will MY person park her little red car when she next needs a squeeze?   

she is supposed to come sometime in September so it’ll be interesting to see how long she goes before she blinks.  We’ll see.  

• Love 22
31 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

This cat has earned some peace, sunshine and laziness, and possibly some lasagna.

These are the best words in the Universe today.

33 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

And where will MY person park her little red car when she next needs a squeeze?   

So...red car good, red barn bad? She’s a piece of work. Let her find another Plan B when her feckless chucklefuck suddenly has to spend time with his actual wife. Seriously. Hasta la nunca a ella.  I send her death glares.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Happyfatchick said:

And actually sent me a SPREAD SHEET ahead of time so I would be aware of the times she expected to be out of touch.

She--she has a spreadsheet for this? I'm pretty anal retentive and have, like, seven layers of folders on my flashdrive, but don't even know how to process that. 

• LOL 16
6 hours ago, Love2dance said:

@Happyfatchick, I also lost a friend because I said I wouldn’t be her excuse while she cheats with her lover. Bye Felicia.

Happened to me years ago.  A friend was cheating with a guy and was constantly telling me all the details of the drama involving his wife (with whom he was still living) who'd found out about the affair.  The wife was mentally unstable and there were lots of histrionic scenes involving the wife showing up at my friend's apartment in the middle of the night, her 4 year old in tow, demanding that her husband come home and making threats.  She once followed the lovers in her car and tried to run them off the road.  Once again, with the preschooler in the car.

I finally told her that I thought the entire relationship was dysfunctional and disturbing as hell and really couldn't listen to anymore.  I also suggested that a guy who was willing to openly cheat on his wife despite the small child and crazy behavior, wasn't likely to be a very good husband to anyone including her. She got miffed and started using another friend, who'd also already gotten an earful but was more polite than I, as her sounding board.

In any event, the cheating bastard got a divorce and married my friend.  I was invited to the wedding but declined.  Guess what?  She stayed married to him for 20 years; all the while putting up with multiple infidelities, substance abuse and other insanity.  Her husband, a doctor, at one point had his license suspended after a patient of his, with whom he had a drug and alcohol fueled affair, went to the medical board and complained after he broke up to her and went to rehab (his 4th or 5th rehab).  My friend is also a doctor and her husband's name and information about the reasons for the suspension came out in the Medical Board's quarterly newsletter; humiliating her in front of her peers.  She finally wised up and divorced him after he put her through far more hell than he ever dealt his first wife.

HFC, as far as I am concerned, you can tell your friend that you just don't have the time or space for her to stay at your place anymore and offer her the name of a nearby Super 8 for her sleazy affair.  I would probably tell her flat out to stop pretending she was coming to visit me or help me or anything else; we all know her visits are not about you at all and it is your right to tell her you don't want to be used in this way,

I had a friend who attending a professional meeting with a work colleague and shared a room.  Turns out her work friend had been having an affair with another coworker who was also attending the conference and she spent the weekend in his room with him after asking my friend to cover for her if her husband or kids called.  My friend, a married woman who took her vows seriously,  was appalled that this woman could use her like that.  Had she known the setup before they went, she would've never agreed to be involved and she was glad she never had to lie to the husband or kids since she didn't think she would've been able to do it.  Their friendship also cooled.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Please wish me luck and send me good vibes, everybody! I’m taking the LSAT this morning! 🤞🤞🤞🤞<— my fingers and toes are all already crossed!

Good luck!!! Ah I remember those days circa 2006- damn I’m old. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Today is a great day to have a great day! Who wants to join me in trying to make this a fabulous Sunday? 

I'm in! The weather is beautiful today! My husband is assembling the new swingset and I'm planning to do a little cleaning and maybe read a light romance novel my Kindle downloaded (it's basically a Hallmark movie plot, but with some sex). I don't usually read romance novels, but I'm in the mood for some light hearted fluff I don't have to think about. Baseball is a day game today which is nice. Should be a pretty relaxing day! 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I had a friend who attending a professional meeting with a work colleague and shared a room.  Turns out her work friend had been having an affair with another coworker who was also attending the conference and she spent the weekend in his room with him after asking my friend to cover for her if her husband or kids called.  My friend, a married woman who took her vows seriously,  was appalled that this woman could use her like that.  Had she known the setup before they went, she would've never agreed to be involved and she was glad she never had to lie to the husband or kids since she didn't think she would've been able to do it.  Their friendship also cooled.

These people are not friends, they are users.  I've practiced learning to not get ensnared by them or if it happens dumping them faster.   Real friends don't ask you to lie for them, cover for them, and basically don't try to use and abuse you.  

• Love 17

I’m watching Hoarding Buried Alive as I clean up my bedroom/office (dusting and sweeping, putting laundry away), thinking of what I’m going to say to my cousin in a few weeks. On my week of vacation I’m going to take them some more pastries and check on the condition of the house (also clip the cats claws). 

If no changes have been made then we will have to have a conversation. Something must be done before winter. 

• Love 15
14 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Let her find another Plan B when her feckless chucklefuck suddenly has to spend time with his actual wife. Seriously. Hasta la nunca a ella.  I send her death glares.

I call dibs on Feckless Chucklefuck and the Death Glares as the name of my next band. 

7 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Today is a great day to have a great day! Who wants to join me in trying to make this a fabulous Sunday? 

Me! me! me! I'm making window covers for my minivan today. I'm planning another little camping trip for next weekend. Weekend before last, on my maiden voyage campout in the van, I was improvising the window covers. I hadn't had time to make the covers properly. Masking tape was involved. Not pretty but sufficient for one trip.

I'm using Reflectix, which when cut to shape just a hair bigger than your car window, will generally stay in place when you shove it up against the window inside the vehicle. But I'm going to glue black fabric to one side of the Reflectix, so the stuff won't show from the outside. This guy did a YouTube video of adding fabric to one side of his Reflectix shades; at about 11:00 in he shows the finished shades and then how they look in the car (Reflectix shows when it's on the outside, the black fabric when on the outside just nicely blacks out the window.)

I'm also going to make air vents for each of the back passenger windows, using a $2 gutter filter from Home Depot for each vent. That will let me have both windows lowered a few inches for airflow at night, minus bug visitors. Like this guy, except I'm just making one each for straight across the top of the windows since they just open straight down, and I won't be cutting them down to be shorter. I will spray them black. I think mine will look better than his. Just saying. I have a nifty bug screen that attaches with magnets to the car roof, that allows me to open the sunroof for night time ventilation while avoiding the insect guests. 

I had a busy trip to Home Depot early this morning. Got materials and such for these projects and a couple more, although I already had the Reflectix. I just now came inside from making templates of all the minivan windows using a bunch of manila folders and duct tape and magic marker. Now I'm going to the shopping area where there's a JoAnn Fabrics and a Michael's about two blocks apart, in search of the black fabric. This afternoon I hope to have a nice time here inside, cutting out the shades and finishing them. 

So that's my Sunday fun. I've been working long hours and I was *tired* Friday night. Yesterday I just let myself have a day of light housework and rest with just a short trip to the grocery store. I think that was wise; today I am so much more energetic!

Sending good wishes to all of you. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • LOL 1
  • Love 19

@Scarlett45, you’re good people. You are always helping someone, and with an amazing attitude. I’d say I want to be like you when I grow up, but I’m pretty sure I’ve already got a few years on you.

There are a lot of good people on this board! Who would think that the Duggars would bring us all together?

@rue721, I hope the LSAT went well and that you are enjoying some much deserved relaxation now.

• Love 15
7 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

@Scarlett45, you’re good people. You are always helping someone, and with an amazing attitude. I’d say I want to be like you when I grow up, but I’m pretty sure I’ve already got a few years on you.

There are a lot of good people on this board! Who would think that the Duggars would bring us all together?

@rue721, I hope the LSAT went well and that you are enjoying some much deserved relaxation now.

You’re so sweet to me. But this is the least I can do. My great aunt has been a WONDERFUL person and family member, has loved and guided me and protected me as long as she could. I firmly believe when the elders stand up and love, guide and protect the next generation they deserve to be spoiled and comfortable in their last years. It’s not her fault she has dementia and she would not want to be living like this. 

Despite my issues with my cousin being a lazy idiot most of her life, it’s clear she’s not well because no one would be “choosing” to live like this if they were well. They just wouldn’t. And it’s getting WORSE. Someone has to try and help! I guess that someone is me since everyone else just shrugs their shoulders and goes “it’s like Hoarders in there.” I would die of shame before I had my Mom or sister in that situation. And if my mind started to go I would want someone to try and save me. 

Although I doubt my sister would let us live in a hoard because if she couldn’t get her favorite foods or access to the fridge she’d be freaking the fuck out and screaming. 🤣

• Love 18

So classes started at my college last week. The lab has been slower than usual, but only one freshman has grumped about social distancing and he was a friend of my boss's son. She gave him a bit of a talk, let him know that we understood he was feeling overwhelmed, but he's not allowed to take it out on me.

My college is about $5 million in the red and to make up a tiny fraction of it, the president decided to raise the parking permits from $10 to $75. I don't know if it worked because the only people I know who paid it are the students living in the dorms and those who have trouble walking. I've been parking 3 blocks away, so I'm finally getting the exercise my doctor has recommended for the last 2 years. I've also been packing a healthy lunch and not eating until I'm actually hungry and I managed to lose 4 lbs without trying or feeling deprived. 

• Love 24
1 minute ago, Nysha said:

So classes started at my college last week. The lab has been slower than usual, but only one freshman has grumped about social distancing and he was a friend of my boss's son. She gave him a bit of a talk, let him know that we understood he was feeling overwhelmed, but he's not allowed to take it out on me.

My college is about $5 million in the red and to make up a tiny fraction of it, the president decided to raise the parking permits from $10 to $75. I don't know if it worked because the only people I know who paid it are the students living in the dorms and those who have trouble walking. I've been parking 3 blocks away, so I'm finally getting the exercise my doctor has recommended for the last 2 years. I've also been packing a healthy lunch and not eating until I'm actually hungry and I managed to lose 4 lbs without trying or feeling deprived. 

That’s amazing!

• Love 4