Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I'm watching a thing youtube called "Why Women Are Quitting Their Side Hustle: LulaRoe".   (Youtube recommended it and they know me well.) One thing that just hit me is that owners of LulaRose promote it as a family business and it's owned by a wife and husband. The ladies say they called the woman who owns the company "Mama D".  It goes to show the weight the words "mom, Mama," etc. have.  And of course this video is telling the story of women who feel betrayed by the company. 

Dear God it just got crazier. Now Lula Roe is encouraging women to got to Tijuana and get gastric sleeve surgery to make their stomach smaller.  Meanwhile all of the women have ton of inventory they can't sell and some of the inventory is arriving damaged. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

To bad you can't slip her one.

It made my day when the doctor handed me a script for Ativan for my mother to be used as needed up to 2 every 6 hours.  I love my mom, but she was at the stage of dementia where I needed her to take the meds on occasion for my sanity and well being.   It's something to consider discussing with her doctor.  Even if she's competent, a little help for the family surviving might be worth it. 

• Love 7
(edited)
18 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

To bad you can't slip her one.

She's already on both depression and anti-anxiety meds. Because of her age and history of falls, they have to limit her dosages. Sadly, she needs to be medicated more.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

Mother's, sometimes the relationship is simple, you love them or you hate them. Sometimes it is complicated. My mother was an alcoholic,my dad died when I was in first grade. I don't remember him. My mother remarried and I loved my step father and his family. When my mother had my brother I was about 10 years old the things changed. My brother's first Christmas my mother ask me if I would mind having fewer presents so he could have some. I did not mind that but at 62 I still remember the hurt when I saw my empty stocking next to his full on. Don't misunderstand,I did receive presents, and I am sure I enjoyed them but that's when in my mind she changed from Mommy to mother. I truly do not remember her hugging me or telling me she loved me and I always felt I was on my own that I had no "back up", but every year at Easter she would make me an Easter basket with an handmade stuffed animal. My step father's mother was the one I felt unconditional love from. I am not saying she did not love me, I think she could not express that yo more than one child and that was my brother.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

@NotFundie thank you for sharing - that was helpful to hear that someone else has these feelings...or lack of feelings. Also, I have gotten to the point that I almost have to spit out the words “my mom” and have considered calling her by her first name. I might do that.

I haven't spoken to mine in years, but I go first name as much as possible. 

• Love 3

Well, I've had a long day today.  My 95-year-old father fell at home last night and tore up his arms and hit his head.  When I arrived to see my parents today, he was shaking and totally unresponsive.  I called 911 after he threw up all over himself, and my brother and I spent the day with him in ER and the hospital.  He has been admitted for the next three days, and will then be transferred to a skilled nursing facility.  I'm not sure if he will ever be back home.  Scans do not show any brain bleed, but his pupils are not the same size, and I'm quite sure he has had a concussion. He is in a lot of pain because of his open wounds on his arms and shoulders. Meanwhile, my 92-year-old mother has no idea what is going on.  Her dementia has been getting noticeably worse lately and she is totally confused.  My parents have had 24/7 care at home for the past year, so at least my mom has someone with her all the time, but I think if Dad is not coming home she will go down quickly.  I am so blessed to have my brother, who lives in the same town as my parents, since I live an hour away.  We are on the same page with everything regarding our parents, and we are doing everything we can.  But I doubt this will have a good outcome.  Another WWII Navy vet at the end of his life.

• Love 1
(edited)

@CalicoKitty  You & your brother have a lot to deal with. Hoping things work out the best for you & your family.  

@sixlets Hope things go well with your infusion.  Will be thinking about you -- from  your fellow Marylander cyberfriend & pain sufferer.  PAIN SUCKS!!

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Well, I've had a long day today.  My 95-year-old father fell at home last night and tore up his arms and hit his head.  When I arrived to see my parents today, he was shaking and totally unresponsive.  I called 911 after he threw up all over himself, and my brother and I spent the day with him in ER and the hospital.  He has been admitted for the next three days, and will then be transferred to a skilled nursing facility.  I'm not sure if he will ever be back home.  Scans do not show any brain bleed, but his pupils are not the same size, and I'm quite sure he has had a concussion. He is in a lot of pain because of his open wounds on his arms and shoulders. Meanwhile, my 92-year-old mother has no idea what is going on.  Her dementia has been getting noticeably worse lately and she is totally confused.  My parents have had 24/7 care at home for the past year, so at least my mom has someone with her all the time, but I think if Dad is not coming home she will go down quickly.  I am so blessed to have my brother, who lives in the same town as my parents, since I live an hour away.  We are on the same page with everything regarding our parents, and we are doing everything we can.  But I doubt this will have a good outcome.  Another WWII Navy vet at the end of his life.

I'm so sorry. Living independently to 95/92 is pretty impressive but I know that is no consolation.  It's great that you and your brother are on the same page. Being in accord with my sister and my dad when we had to decide against a feeding tube for Mom when she was dying of Alzheimer's and with my sister when we had to decide to move Dad to a care facility for his Alzheimer's were both gifts. Treasure your connection with your brother and take care of yourself, too. I know something of what you're going through. Hang in there.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, BrianJ1962 said:

My sister's house was significantly destroyed in the tornadoes in the Kansas City area.

It was scary.  I spent time in the basement listening to sirens; the monster was a mile from a co-worker and we were texting.

• Love 3

i have no words...about the tornado thing. the thought of tornados scares the heck out of me. i am planning a road trip in about 3 weeks to drive to texas and lousiana from cali. i dont know if i would be able to handle that while on the open road. what to do...what to do...

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, zoomama said:

i have no words...about the tornado thing. the thought of tornados scares the heck out of me. i am planning a road trip in about 3 weeks to drive to texas and lousiana from cali. i dont know if i would be able to handle that while on the open road. what to do...what to do...

Don't watch Wizard of Oz. If you come upon a tornado and it looks like its not moving it usually means its coming right at you.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

We have been dealing with flooding in some parts of Montana. I cannot imagine being in an area where flooding has been going on the last two years. I hope we do not end up with a dry spell once July hits because with all the extra moisture everything grows leading to more of a chance of wild land fires.

19 hours ago, Temperance said:

Dear God it just got crazier. Now Lula Roe is encouraging women to got to Tijuana and get gastric sleeve surgery to make their stomach smaller.  Meanwhile all of the women have ton of inventory they can't sell and some of the inventory is arriving damaged. 

I watched the documentary over the weekend. There's a podcast that those women did that goes into even further depth about Lularoe. I will get around to listening to it eventually. I'm not the least bit surprised with any of it. How do you keep the peasantry in perpetual servitude?

I'm sorry to hear about what everyone is going through. It seems to be a sucky time for everyone. 😞

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:
19 hours ago, Temperance said:

I watched the documentary over the weekend. There's a podcast that those women did that goes into even further depth about Lularoe. I will get around to listening to it eventually. I'm not the least bit surprised with any of it. How do you keep the peasantry in perpetual servitude?

Vice uploaded it to their YT channel. For anyone who hasn't seen it, here it is:

What an insane cult this is. Also? Those clothes are impossibly ugly. 

They did that on purpose. There were certain prints/styles they would restrict and then send out the ugly stuff. Granted wearing Lularoe was considered a status symbol in some circles so they could easily move the ugly as sin stuff.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, PikaScrewChu said:

They did that on purpose. There were certain prints/styles they would restrict and then send out the ugly stuff. Granted wearing Lularoe was considered a status symbol in some circles so they could easily move the ugly as sin stuff.

In what circles was it a status symbol? 😆😆😆

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
Just now, DangerousMinds said:

Your guess is as good as mine but some of the awful prints that customers sent back for being defective were highly sought after!

• Love 1

Brian-I'm so sorry to hear about your sister's house.  I am so glad to hear they are ok though.  

Calico-Please know you are in my thoughts.  I'm very sorry to hear about your dad's fall.  It has to be a huge relief to know you and your brother are on the same page.  Please take care of yourself!

Barb-thanks so much!  You are right, pain does suck.  Monkey balls. Hope you all are safe!

I made it through the infusion just fine this morning, and the "normal" pain I was expecting hit me around 200pm.  I'm also getting nerve pain when I go from a standing position to sitting down.  It's happened before, but damn.  It hurts like a son of a bitch.  Mr. Six left work around 400pm, and after discovering Taco Hell didn't have what we wanted, he stopped at Arby's instead.  That was 487931 calories I didn't need.  We got hit with a hell of a storm that left damage in our development.  Giant branches were on the road, we had hail for nearly 2 minutes, one neighbor lost a portion of his fence, and the mister found one of our shutters.  Down the street.  It's now in the kitchen.  Thankfully, I don't think there are any injuries.  It wasn't a tornado, but it wasn't a normal thunderstorm either.  We went through Hurricane Sandy with less damage than today.  The weather is now officially scary.😟

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Vice uploaded it to their YT channel. For anyone who hasn't seen it, here it is:

What an insane cult this is. Also? Those clothes are impossibly ugly. 

I have some really pretty lularoe stuff in my closet.  It really depends on your willingness to sort through the ugly to find the good stuff.  One of my summer staples is a heather gray skirt that hits right above the knee and flares nicely.   I do like their layering cardigans and I have a few dresses that I get compliments on everytime I wear them.  

• Love 4

My boss has some LuLaRue leggings that are very vibrant and soft. She's had them for a couple of years and they haven't stretched out or faded. I'm too cheap to pay full price for clothes, so no LuLaRue for me.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Nysha said:

My boss has some LuLaRue leggings that are very vibrant and soft. She's had them for a couple of years and they haven't stretched out or faded. I'm too cheap to pay full price for clothes, so no LuLaRue for me.

I don't find lularoe to be any better or worse than other clothing brands.  I also don't like to pay full retail for anything if I can help it.  I love to seek out deals, but am wary to buy super cheap clothes from Amazon.  I am accidental prone and  to use the southern euphemism,  I "glisten " so I need clothes that I can wash at home and get stains out of.   I use Stitch Fix and got a dress from Reese Witherspoon's line Draper James, and I want to buy everything from the brand.  Unfortunately I don't have the funds for it.

• Love 5

The smoke from the fires in Canada has hit where I live. The air quality is unhealthy right now. My heart goes out to the people who are dealing with the fires, and a big shout out the fire fighters and other emergency personnel working the fire.

On 5/29/2019 at 8:57 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

I don't find lularoe to be any better or worse than other clothing brands.  I also don't like to pay full retail for anything if I can help it.  I love to seek out deals, but am wary to buy super cheap clothes from Amazon.  I am accidental prone and  to use the southern euphemism,  I "glisten " so I need clothes that I can wash at home and get stains out of.   I use Stitch Fix and got a dress from Reese Witherspoon's line Draper James, and I want to buy everything from the brand.  Unfortunately I don't have the funds for it.

I was just in Charleston, SC and they had a LulaRoe store on King Street. Needless to say after all I have read on the forums I didn’t go into it. I was also pressed for time. 

I had forgotten all about Draper James. Good to hear that you liked their merchandise, so I will check them out. Hope my budget works for that brand. 

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

The smoke from the fires in Canada has hit where I live. The air quality is unhealthy right now. My heart goes out to the people who are dealing with the fires, and a big shout out the fire fighters and other emergency personnel working the fire.

The smoke from the fires are affecting us in Colorado. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

Y'all, it's 86 degrees, and I just had the thought, "it feels like fall now!" Bless the South. It's been 95-97 degrees for over a week, and we're exhausted down here lol!

I know.  The only way I survived this last week was being at the beach since Tuesday.   We finally got rain in my area yesterday. 

• Love 2

I turned down two contract teaching gigs to focus on other things. It feels really freeing. I'm going to be counting pennies this summer (hello Swagbucks) but it'll be worth it. I'm applying out for grown up jobs starting in January and getting my work off the ground. Not that college teaching isn't a "grown up job" but it's time to move on for a bit.

• Love 12

i am so tired of listening to my neighbor(s) - there are probably many involved- dogs whine and cry all.the.time!  i cant complain because i have an unlicensed dog that i need to get updated shots for . i need to make time in my crazy life and get it done.

• Love 8

I just got back from the latest Godzilla movie. Pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it--more so than the 2014 one. Definitely see it on an IMAX screen. 😄

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I know.  The only way I survived this last week was being at the beach since Tuesday.   We finally got rain in my area yesterday. 

oh gosh, being at the beach sounds amaaaaaazing. It is horrible in NC! I looked at the weather, and charlotte's high is expected to be between 82-86 all week. That sounds so amazing!!! It'll practically feel like winter lol. I hope it's cooler down your way too. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Zella said:

I just got back from the latest Godzilla movie. Pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it--more so than the 2014 one. Definitely see it on an IMAX screen. 😄

My friend wanted to see it. We did. I really didn’t care for it. Then I saw rocket man by myself. I loved it. I’m still sleepy lol.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, galaxychaser said:

My friend wanted to see it. We did. I really didn’t care for it. Then I saw rocket man by myself. I loved it. I’m still sleepy lol.

I think seeing it on a big screen made me enjoy the special effects more than I would have just watching it at home and made me more forgiving of the mediocre plot and its glaring plot holes. LOL

Also, I really loathed the main character in the first one, so his absence felt glorious to me. 😂

I felt like they squandered poor Charles Dance, though. 😞

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Zella said:

I think seeing it on a big screen made me enjoy the special effects more than I would have just watching it at home and made me more forgiving of the mediocre plot and its glaring plot holes. LOL

Also, I really loathed the main character in the first one, so his absence felt glorious to me. 😂

I felt like they squandered poor Charles Dance, though. 😞

Yes the plot holes you can drive a uhaul through. CGI was awesome. And I didn’t see the first movie. My friend loved it and it was nice to see her.

• Love 2
(edited)
3 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Yes the plot holes you can drive a uhaul through. 

😂😂😂

3 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

And I didn’t see the first movie. 

For that one, I enjoyed the first part, where the focus was on Bryan Cranston, very much. Then they shifted attention to the guy playing his son, and I felt like he was a giant charisma vacuum. To be fair, some of that was probably typical terrible action movie writing, but I sure didn't think he was capable of transcending it, like a better actor could have. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Yes the plot holes you can drive a uhaul through. CGI was awesome. And I didn’t see the first movie. My friend loved it and it was nice to see her.

I’m so glad you were able to go with your friend, even tho you didn’t love the movie.

• Love 4

Meteorologist at 5pm: we may get a sprinkle or two this evening, nothing to worry about. 

Meteorologist at 6:30pm, breaking into regular programming: there is a flash flood warning for the entire county. Avoid travel on all of the major roads as most are underwater in parts. We're not sure when the rain will stop. 

I wish I only had to be correct at my job half of the time, it would make things a lot easier.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, emma675 said:

Meteorologist at 5pm: we may get a sprinkle or two this evening, nothing to worry about. 

Meteorologist at 6:30pm, breaking into regular programming: there is a flash flood warning for the entire county. Avoid travel on all of the major roads as most are underwater in parts. We're not sure when the rain will stop. 

I wish I only had to be correct at my job half of the time, it would make things a lot easier.

Sounds like the weather forecast in the Houston area sometimes .

We were told 70% of rain on Friday which would have help clean out the Canada wildfire smoke out of the air. Guess what? No rain at all. The good news is my chest pain and tightness and asthma symptoms did not act up much the last few days. We do need to get another fan for the kitchen/living room area because I do not want to turn on the air conditioner in the kitchen. I wanted to get rid of get when the guys did the work, but my husband wanted to keep it. I have one fan in the big bedroom. and so far it is doing a good job. I probably will get another one later. I do not miss the air conditioner and the window fan at all in the back of the house.

On 5/29/2019 at 5:09 PM, DangerousMinds said:

Military wives. I'm not even kidding. If I had a dollar for every time I had someone either try and sell me or get me to start selling that crap, I'd be a millionaire. 

• Love 3

I'm getting ads for realistic baby dolls on this site. I googled this company and the doll they picked for me is good for old people with Alzheimers and dementia. I'm thirty-something. What the heck!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Temperance said:

I'm getting ads for realistic baby dolls on this site. I googled this company and the doll they picked for me is good for old people with Alzheimers and dementia. I'm thirty-something. What the heck!

One of the care facilities we looked at for my dad had some of those. Utterly creepy (though I find dolls dull and creepy in the best of circumstances). We moved him into a different facility.

• Love 1