Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

On 6/6/2019 at 8:07 AM, Jeeves said:

Okay, I'm bringing this over from the Lonely J's topic. I posted that ^^ about stupid signs used as home decor. I blame Joanna Gaines for this phenomenon, but I'm sure she's not alone in creating this craziness.

I feel that I should admit that I actually have a stupid sign in my bathroom. It's not aspirational or inspirational or sappy, though. It's not up on the wall at the moment, but soon to be (repainting is pending). I bought it in the night market in Chiang Mai, Thailand, ten years ago. I loved Thailand. I learned that Thais call the toilet room the "happy room." I was always happy to find a "Western style happy room" (as our tour guide called them) which meant *not* a squat toilet. 

So, here's my stupid bathroom sign which, cheap souvenir and all, I treasure. By rights it should be on the door, but I've put it on the wall:

I am trying to catch up reading in the forums (fora?) of shows I watch but aren't running new episodes.    I love your bathroom sign.  

We have a cross-stitched sign that reads as follows:   Who waits outside the door, one may never know.  So tarry not my friend, he too may have to go.

I really need to ask around to find who made it.  It is been in the family for eons, but no one in that branch is the least bit domestic.   There are some cute little children on it so it may have been a baby shower gift for the children's bathroom.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I never had a quilt. Went to Macy’s. $200+ for a quilt! I almost fainted. Haven’t been to Macy’s in years surprised it’s so expensive. 

I make quilts.  Fabric is very expensive as is thread and batting.  Plus the hours upon hours to take large pieces of fabric, cut it all apart, and then sew it back together. Then quilt it and bind it.  I really do enjoy it but have never thought about selling anything because no one would want to pay for even the materials, let alone my labor.  I do gift some people, but, only if they are "quilt worthy" and I won't find the quilt in a dog bed or under the car while changing the oil!!!

• Love 15
3 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I never had a quilt. Went to Macy’s. $200+ for a quilt! I almost fainted. Haven’t been to Macy’s in years surprised it’s so expensive. 

Depending on what you're looking for, Target has some beautiful quilts online starting around $50.  I actually saw one today that was on clearance for $35 in the store.  A few years ago, my mother-in-law wanted a new quilt.  She is quite crafty but didn't want to tackle it herself.  She ended up going to Lancaster (PA) to get a handmade Amish quilt.  I want to say she paid in the $200 range, but it's stunningly beautiful.  I'm kinda hoping she decides to get a new one soon so we can get that one 😏

• Love 2
9 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

It's 7:40 am here outside of Houston and we have a feels like temp of 93. Help!  Lol. 

About the same here in Dallas. I can't wait for summer to be over. 

• Love 5
(edited)

One of the last things I grabbed when we were cleaning out my parents' house before moving Dad into his memory care facility was a little (~2-feet square) quilt that my mom made for a doll cradle when I was a little girl. I never cared for dolls but I do love that my four year-old kitty loves to sleep on this quilt now.

Edited by jcbrown
fighting with the site over file size
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, jcbrown said:

One of the last things I grabbed when we were cleaning out my parents' house before moving Dad into his memory care facility was a little (~2-feet square) quilt that my mom made for a doll cradle when I was a little girl. I never cared for dolls but I do love that my four year-old kitty loves to sleep on this quilt now.

That is so neat.  Glad your kitty has made good use of your heirloom. 

My mother loved to crochet & each year she crocheted a sweater & bonnet for the new dolls that Santa brought for me & my sister.  

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, louannems said:

53 degrees south of Seattle.  I could use a little summer!

I will happily share some of our heat and humidity. It’s low 90’s every day. Lows at night are in the lower 70’s. 

• Love 1

Mid 80's here in CT. Quite a bit too warm for my liking, but on the other hand there have only been a handful of really warm days here so far this season, so I guess I'll have to deal with it for the sake of those people for whom "warm" only begins once you get into the 80's.

I don't much care for anything much above 65. Maaaaybe 70 as long as it is cloudy with a good breeze and possibly some drizzle.

I suppose it will be time to go hibernate until sometime in the middle of September pretty soon. Except there is always way too much yard work to deal with...

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I don't much care for anything much above 65. Maaaaybe 70 as long as it is cloudy with a good breeze and possibly some drizzle.

I’m with you, Jynnan Tonnix, 65-68 is my perfect temperature. And I’m so lucky, ‘cause right now we are getting some of these days in Southern California. But, I know coming in July, all the way to October possibly, we will have the 80’s to 90’s every day. And even some days all the way to January.  😓

• Love 3

73 and sunny is about my sweet spot in terms of temperature for summer. I'm willing to go all the way up to 80 if there's a breeze. But because this spring has been so unseasonably chilly and wet I might be willing to revaluate. At this point any day with sun will do.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

I've always wanted to move to the Pacific Northwest to get away from the heat and humidity of the southeast. 

That's just what my oldest son did.  Found a local girl.  They love the weather.  I only like it in the summer.  We go other times of year but it is a struggle.  Dark a lot and misty and/or cold.  Not for me.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

That's just what my oldest son did.  Found a local girl.  They love the weather.  I only like it in the summer.  We go other times of year but it is a struggle.  Dark a lot and misty and/or cold.  Not for me.

It seems as though they have been having some serious heat there over the past couple of years, though. I've always thought it sounded like my ideal climate, but if things keep up the way they have been recently I may have to rethink that. Connecticut gets a bit hotter in the summer than I'd strictly prefer, but at least the summer only lasts for about three months with breaks in the heat here and there most years. I can more or less deal with that.

My ideal climate was when we were stationed in Scotland for a couple of years - Summers where the occasional day over 70 was considered a heat wave. Lots of passing clouds and rain more days than not  but it was also a rare day that the sun didn't make an appearance at least at some point. Rainbows galore! Long, cool springs with flowers everywhere from March onward, and winters which, while windy and rainy, hardly ever got down to freezing, and the snow might sparkle on the hilltops, but rarely really stuck to the ground lower down. Paradise!

• Love 9
20 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

It seems as though they have been having some serious heat there over the past couple of years, though. I've always thought it sounded like my ideal climate, but if things keep up the way they have been recently I may have to rethink that. Connecticut gets a bit hotter in the summer than I'd strictly prefer, but at least the summer only lasts for about three months with breaks in the heat here and there most years. I can more or less deal with that.

My ideal climate was when we were stationed in Scotland for a couple of years - Summers where the occasional day over 70 was considered a heat wave. Lots of passing clouds and rain more days than not  but it was also a rare day that the sun didn't make an appearance at least at some point. Rainbows galore! Long, cool springs with flowers everywhere from March onward, and winters which, while windy and rainy, hardly ever got down to freezing, and the snow might sparkle on the hilltops, but rarely really stuck to the ground lower down. Paradise!

That does sound wonderful.

• Love 3

That sounds perfect, @Jynnan tonnix. I visited Scotland over Christmas vacation when I was studying abroad in Paris with a Scottish friend I made in Paris. I was staying with a family but it did get cold (though, having lived in NY and my university was in Binghamton, it was not that cold) and their pipes froze. I loved it though and had memorable time.

• Love 3

Scotland sounds perfect! I spent some time in Normandy, France, in June, and I know the weather was what most people would consider awful--rainy and windy and surprisingly chilly--but I loved it. Between that and the French food, I was ready to defect! 

My absolute favorite type of weather is when the temperature drops, the sky darkens, and the wind picks up right before a storm blows in. Have been told that makes me crazy, but I always run outside during the middle of that to soak it up. 🙂

I like living in Arkansas for the most part, but I loathe the hot, humid summers. And I know where I am in the Ozarks is nowhere near as bad as the Delta. I couldn't live any farther south. 

• Love 5

I'm in the Dallas area, so generally 90s here right now, but I've also lived in Chicagoland and in New Orleans. The same temperature always feels warmer in Chicago and in New Orleans than it does in Dallas. 80s feels good in Dallas, but it would have felt hot in the other two places. 70s actually feels on the chilly side in Dallas.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Mid 80's here in CT. Quite a bit too warm for my liking, but on the other hand there have only been a handful of really warm days here so far this season, so I guess I'll have to deal with it for the sake of those people for whom "warm" only begins once you get into the 80's.

Raises hand. Chicago has been a shit show as far as weather. I wore a sweater Thursday!!! A SWEATER!!! A true blue winter sweater. With a spring coat!! I like it sunny, 80, and humid (my skin and hair are so grateful). I live through the chicago winters knowing it will get hot- what is going on with this weather?!!

Today it finally got hot and rained. My skin was glad for the humidity, but I know I’m getting older because I can feel the weather in my face. When it’s about to snow it hurts, when it’s about to rain it aches.

• Love 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, Zella said:

Scotland sounds perfect! I spent some time in Normandy, France, in June, and I know the weather was what most people would consider awful--rainy and windy and surprisingly chilly--but I loved it. Between that and the French food, I was ready to defect! 

My absolute favorite type of weather is when the temperature drops, the sky darkens, and the wind picks up right before a storm blows in. Have been told that makes me crazy, but I always run outside during the middle of that to soak it up. 🙂

I like living in Arkansas for the most part, but I loathe the hot, humid summers. And I know where I am in the Ozarks is nowhere near as bad as the Delta. I couldn't live any farther south. 

I love that as well! I love the way it feels, and I loooove the light, especially if it happens in late afternoon when the sun is already getting low, so it often illuminates everything even though the sky overhead is that looming, ominous dark blue-grey, but all the trees, stone walls, greenery, etc are almost unnaturally bright in contrast. It brings me such joy  - a literal heart-pounding adrenaline rush - to see that! And I also love fog, where you just feel as though you are enveloped in your own little cocoon, separate from the outside world. 

For yard work or walking, I love a cloudy day with a touch of mist and drizzle - not enough to sog your clothes, just that you can feel occasionally on your face. So refreshing. I can work for hours in that sort of weather. If it's sunny, I'm wiped after half an hour. 

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Having lived in Scotland for 7 years I totally second this. You could even have days that featured all 4 seasons. ‘Twas a wonderful place to live. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

For yard work or walking, I love a cloudy day with a touch of mist and drizzle - not enough to sog your clothes, just that you can feel occasionally on your face. So refreshing. I can work for hours in that sort of weather. If it's sunny, I'm wiped after half an hour. 

This is very interesting! Such weather makes me want to go inside and read a book and cuddle with my cat. I find the sunshine invigorating. 

I enjoyed Scotland very much (it was so pretty!) and it was rainy and wet, but I would’ve been pleased to sight see in 60 degree weather with no rain; so long as I don’t need a hat/gloves I will deal with wearing a spring coat. My skin loves the dampness but it makes things slippery and my shoes gross.

if I could choose any sort of weather to live I would choose San Diego- sun, heat, ocean breeze....just GORGEOUS.

Ive noticed that many persons without melanin do NOT do well in the sun/heat(especially if they have light eyes)- are your eyes blue like your granddaughter’s? It makes sense though, melanin is a built in SPF. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Having lived in Scotland for 7 years I totally second this. You could even have days that featured all 4 seasons. ‘Twas a wonderful place to live. 

I loved Scotland much more than I thought I would. I cannot wait to go back. 

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

This is very interesting! Such weather makes me want to go inside and read a book and cuddle with my cat. I find the sunshine invigorating. 

I enjoyed Scotland very much (it was so pretty!) and it was rainy and wet, but I would’ve been pleased to sight see in 60 degree weather with no rain; so long as I don’t need a hat/gloves I will deal with wearing a spring coat. My skin loves the dampness but it makes things slippery and my shoes gross.

if I could choose any sort of weather to live I would choose San Diego- sun, heat, ocean breeze....just GORGEOUS.

Ive noticed that many persons without melanin do NOT do well in the sun/heat(especially if they have light eyes)- are your eyes blue like your granddaughter’s? It makes sense though, melanin is a built in SPF. 

My eyes and hair are brown (as are my granddaughter's). We were stationed in San Diego for a couple of years as well, and I did like it, even though it was very hot during the summer, the dryness of the heat helped a lot. We were actually talking about it last night, and how surprised I was to love going out into the desert, even though I always thought I would hate it. But you really didn't feel the heat, and the sheer silence out there was just mesmerizing.

I loved the foggy mornings in San Diego (we lived in Rancho Bernardo) at certain times of year the whole neighborhood was blanketed in thick fog which would burn off around 10:00 am. Even though it would go on to be a typically clear and sunny day. I got my fix of gloom! LOL 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I love that as well! I love the way it feels, and I loooove the light, especially if it happens in late afternoon when the sun is already getting low, so it often illuminates everything even though the sky overhead is that looming, ominous dark blue-grey, but all the trees, stone walls, greenery, etc are almost unnaturally bright in contrast. It brings me such joy  - a literal heart-pounding adrenaline rush - to see that! And I also love fog, where you just feel as though you are enveloped in your own little cocoon, separate from the outside world. 

Yes I love the light during those moments! It's so beautiful and strangely peaceful!

And I love fog, too. I think we must be weather twins. 😄

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I love it here in San Diego and hate the thoughts of moving.  We're currently enjoying June Gloom so it's upper 60s and overcast.  It's perfect gardening weather.  

• Love 3

Fashion talk ladies- I’m having jumpsuit envy. These days every lady I see owns a jumpsuit! They seem to be a replacement for dresses. Now I’m thinking do I want to go down this road, as I go to the restroom A LOT (I’m fine I just drink tons and tons of water), and I’m two different sizes top and bottom (an extreme pear). Yes, no, maybe?!!!! I can always buy from Nordstrom and return if I hate it. 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Fashion talk ladies- I’m having jumpsuit envy. These days every lady I see owns a jumpsuit! They seem to be a replacement for dresses. Now I’m thinking do I want to go down this road, as I go to the restroom A LOT (I’m fine I just drink tons and tons of water), and I’m two different sizes top and bottom (an extreme pear). Yes, no, maybe?!!!! I can always buy from Nordstrom and return if I hate it. 

I say, don't hesitate to experiment.  And then be honest with yourself about how it looks and the comfort level.  It has been literally decades since I've worn one and they have the drawbacks you know of, but they can be fun to wear.

• Love 2

I echo the sentiments about the challenging logistics of jumpsuits and going to the bathroom. In the 80s, I even had one that buttoned down the back, just to make it extra annoying. Never again for me.

• Love 4

Although I haven’t done it yet, I think taking a picture in an outfit you’re debating is a good idea. I’ll be shopping for a wedding outfit in the near future, and that’s what I’m going to do. And then delete! 😂

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Although I haven’t done it yet, I think taking a picture in an outfit you’re debating is a good idea. I’ll be shopping for a wedding outfit in the near future, and that’s what I’m going to do. And then delete! 😂

Make sure the squint into the sun to get your very best angle.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I have a jumpsuit, and am seriously considered another one! (the fleabag one!) I dont care that I have to get naked to pee. Sometimes fashion outweighs practicality. Definitely try it on and see how you like it!

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

I have a jumpsuit, and am seriously considered another one! (the fleabag one!) I dont care that I have to get naked to pee. Sometimes fashion outweighs practicality. Definitely try it on and see how you like it!

The Fleabag Jumpsuit is gorgeous, but I know that it would look horrible on me.  I have a long torso so most jumpsuits are a no for me.  Add in my D cups, and I can only dream of wearing that.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I agree.  There's no way I can work in the yard when it's sunny.  

'And thanks for the comment on my screen name LOL...I don't know how much elan I really have, and the name is stolen from a passage in one of Douglas Adams' "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" books, but it's always nice to have someone enjoy it 😁'    ... I saw this on another thread and thought it would be better to reply over here.  I love that book!  I almost used "Ford Prefect" but felt like I might have to explain it.   😄

• Love 4

I  have to chime in re: the weather.  It can never be too hot, too sunny, too humid for me.  I think I am defective!  I thrive in hot weather when I am sweaty.  I feel energized.  One time in the other house in Baton Rouge, in the middle of summer, I went into the attic.  It was very hot.  I started dripping sweat and the longer I was up there the better I felt.  Mr. lookeyloo checked on me and I said, "I feel great, I think I am moving up here".  He said "you are insane".  Maybe.  I used to walk for several hours in the middle of the summer heat, towel and water bottle in tow.  I felt great when I got home, cooled down and showered.  In the winter I can't get warm sometimes.  I lie in the bed and ask Mr. lookeyloo if I am still alive, because even with blankets and pajamas, there is no warm spot under me.  Really.  Like a ghost!  Can't walk here because it is too hilly.  In Baton Rouge it is flat as a pancake.  I am hypothyroid, but, all my numbers are in the normal range.  I have always liked warm weather, even as a child growing up in NJ.  I felt like I was born in the wrong place.  The sunny, humid south is perfect for me.  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The Fleabag Jumpsuit is gorgeous, but I know that it would look horrible on me.  I have a long torso so most jumpsuits are a no for me.  Add in my D cups, and I can only dream of wearing that.

Oh yes, I'm nervous about it too. I'm 5'0 with a cups. I'm hoping itll make me look all long and tall. (but its an expensive buy so I havent pulled the trigger yet!) 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Make sure a child takes your pictures!

• LOL 7
  • Love 1