Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

@lookeyloo  Mr Barb & I are  with you regarding the heat. I think my love of (hot) summer weather is genetic.  My mother loves hot weather & is just like you in the winter- she always feels cold no matter what she tries. My only problem with the heat is I sweat a lot but I've learned to deal with it. (Wearing an extra modesty layer in the summer would do me in. Ha ha)  IIRC, Kelly Rippa loves the heat too.  They were kidding her about liking the feel of the heat smacking her in the face when she walks outside.  

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I get to spend tomorrow afternoon at the DMV with the MIL. 😬

Do they let you register online? I just had to renew my license and had to go in, but I registered online and they sent me text updates as I got to the front of the line. When I was #10 in line the text instructed me to head to the office, and after that it took about 30 minutes to get to my turn. The whole process took about 2.5 hours - when I registered online there were 53 people ahead of me. But it was nice because I could go shopping and do things and not have to waste a day waiting around the office. Highly recommend if yours does that. 

• Love 1

Nope. CA moves at a snail's pace. The good news is we can use the Appointments line because it doubles as the disabled line. We just have to have her placard verified. Easy peasy, and skips the nightmare lines.

• Love 2
On 6/24/2019 at 1:56 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Fashion talk ladies- I’m having jumpsuit envy. These days every lady I see owns a jumpsuit! They seem to be a replacement for dresses. Now I’m thinking do I want to go down this road, as I go to the restroom A LOT (I’m fine I just drink tons and tons of water), and I’m two different sizes top and bottom (an extreme pear). Yes, no, maybe?!!!! I can always buy from Nordstrom and return if I hate it. 

Autumn Phillips looked stunning in a jumpsuit at Ascot.

4865939-peter-phillips-et-sa-femme-autum

If you can get it tailored properly it could work out. I know that there was a minor trend about 10-12 years ago when all my friends were getting married that the mother of bride dresses were "jump suits" but you were able to separate the trouser part from the top so you didn't have to fully undress to use the washroom. I haven't seen them come back.

Now thinking back to all those straight-outta-high school weddings, every couple is now divorced.

• Love 6
On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 1:56 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Fashion talk ladies- I’m having jumpsuit envy. These days every lady I see owns a jumpsuit! They seem to be a replacement for dresses. Now I’m thinking do I want to go down this road, as I go to the restroom A LOT (I’m fine I just drink tons and tons of water), and I’m two different sizes top and bottom (an extreme pear). Yes, no, maybe?!!!! I can always buy from Nordstrom and return if I hate it. 

I've got a long torso and a weak bladder, a deadly combo for jumpsuit wearing.  The crotch always climbs up into my lady parts and it is unseemly trying to right things.  Also, I hate having to virtually undress to use the ladies room and would only wear a jumpsuit someplace where I knew the bathrooms were very clean. 

Like you, I am smaller on top than bottom, and, back in the 80's, last time jumpsuits were popular, I found that to be a difficult combo.  If I bought something that fit properly across my hips, the top was way too big.  I can sew, so I did some altering, but I still wasn't thrilled.

So, for me, anyway, a jumpsuit is not happening.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

I haven’t been on these forums much lately, as we  are moving, but I was able to sneak back on the board tonight to check on @DragonFaerie and @Jynnan tonnix‘s colon cancer.

My husband installs AV equipment, and churches are a huge part of his business. One of the services his company provides is something called - wait for it - environmental projection. The churches can project images/video like the parting of the Red Sea or a thunderstorm or what have you during their services. 

We attend the traditional service, and I have never been to a contemporary service - by choice. I will confess though that there have been many times I have thought the sermon would have been more effective if there had been an image available. Sometimes the pastor is so busy painting the picture that the effect loses steam. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I haven’t been on these forums much lately, as we  are moving, but I was able to sneak back on the board tonight to check on @DragonFaerie and @Jynnan tonnix‘s colon cancer.

My husband installs AV equipment, and churches are a huge part of his business. One of the services his company provides is something called - wait for it - environmental projection. The churches can project images/video like the parting of the Red Sea or a thunderstorm or what have you during their services. 

We attend the traditional service, and I have never been to a contemporary service - by choice. I will confess though that there have been many times I have thought the sermon would have been more effective if there had been an image available. Sometimes the pastor is so busy painting the picture that the effect loses steam. 

Thanks for your concern 😘 My surgery is scheduled for July 8, so won't know much else until then. It was supposed to be this past Monday, but I had caught a daycare cold from my granddaughter (because who can resist toddler kisses?), and was hacking up chunks so they postponed it.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I got a little chuckle reading your post, because you just described the rationale for most of the art from the Renaissance and why Catholic churches are decorated with artwork.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, Marigold said:

@Jynnan tonnix

I missed your post about the colon cancer.  I'm so sorry to hear this.  Adding you to my list of people I'm praying for and worried about. 

I missed it too. Last I remembered was that they were doing a biopsy of a polyp. My very best wishes to you going forward @Jynnan tonnix. Feel better soon and I will be praying for you as well. 🙏🏻

• Love 10
19 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I need an exercise buddy! Blah I hate going to the gym by myself.

Don't ever buy non apple charging cords. I bought 2 in a month both no good.  Off to Target to buy a real apple charge cord!

Try Anker from amazon. High quality but cheaper. 

• Love 5

I grew up on the ocean and sailed quite a bit as a kid. One day I was trailing my hand in the water as we cruised around the harbor and a guy on a neighboring boat said "You might want to be more careful" and pointed towards my arm. I looked over the side and there was a small shark swimming about a foot from my hand. Lesson learned. 

23 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I need an exercise buddy! Blah I hate going to the gym by myself.

I go to the gym by myself. But, if you go at the same time each visit, work out at mostly the same areas, and use the same areas of the locker room each time, soon enough you will find people to say hi to, eventually get to know a little, and maybe even become friends. The trick is to find a gym that has a friendly clientele you might be compatible with. For example, I would never fit into a super serious, competitive Golds Gym, but I’m really happy with my morning workout with my fellow seniors and young moms at my local gym. Good luck with your search!

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

I go to the gym by myself. But, if you go at the same time each visit, work out at mostly the same areas, and use the same areas of the locker room each time, soon enough you will find people to say hi to, eventually get to know a little, and maybe even become friends. The trick is to find a gym that has a friendly clientele you might be compatible with. For example, I would never fit into a super serious, competitive Golds Gym, but I’m really happy with my morning workout with my fellow seniors and young moms at my local gym. Good luck with your search!

Totally agree with this.  When we moved here I went to the gym by myself, was friendly to anyone who would look at me, and over time met one woman around my age, and over the past 4 years, have my "gym friends" now.  We look out for each other.  

• Love 3

I’m thinking of selling some of my formal dresses on Mercari. Has anyone had any luck there? I’ve purchased from people (mostly fan apparel), and I see that Adrianna Papell plus size dresses without beading are going for about $80. If I sold two that’s money just sitting in my closet (I’m selling between 2-4).  Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with selling via an app. 

• Love 1

Hey everybody! I'm baaaack from a wonderful vacation in the mountains! My church always does a music conference up there, and it was so nice! And thankfully my church is normal, with no side hugs or modesty panels in sight. A week of singing, laughter, and pretty sights is good for the soul. 💕 We are so fortunate to have the beach and the mountains in this state!

IMG_3081.PNG

IMG_3082.PNG

IMG_3083.PNG

• Love 21
On 7/1/2019 at 5:13 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I’m thinking of selling some of my formal dresses on Mercari. Has anyone had any luck there? I’ve purchased from people (mostly fan apparel), and I see that Adrianna Papell plus size dresses without beading are going for about $80. If I sold two that’s money just sitting in my closet (I’m selling between 2-4).  Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with selling via an app. 

I sell in Poshmark and eBay. I’ve had good experience with both and plus size clothing sells great. Make sure to understand how shipping works and the fee structure of each site. Clear pictures, accurate listings, fair prices and you should have no problem. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Mojitogirl said:

I sell in Poshmark and eBay. I’ve had good experience with both and plus size clothing sells great. Make sure to understand how shipping works and the fee structure of each site. Clear pictures, accurate listings, fair prices and you should have no problem. 

Thanks so much!

5 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Hey everybody! I'm baaaack from a wonderful vacation in the mountains! My church always does a music conference up there, and it was so nice! And thankfully my church is normal, with no side hugs or modesty panels in sight. A week of singing, laughter, and pretty sights is good for the soul. 💕 We are so fortunate to have the beach and the mountains in this state!

IMG_3081.PNG

IMG_3082.PNG

IMG_3083.PNG

Where'd you go in the mountains? I ask because I'm originally from Hendersonville and have family from Yancey and Madison counties. 🙂 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Zella said:

Where'd you go in the mountains? I ask because I'm originally from Hendersonville and have family from Yancey and Madison counties. 🙂 

That’s crazy: my in laws live in Hendersonville! It’s a really small town, right? I grew up going to Lutheridge summer camp just down the street in Arden.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

That’s crazy: my in laws live in Hendersonville! It’s a really small town, right? I grew up going to Lutheridge summer camp just down the street in Arden.

It's a small world! 🙂

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I am getting ready to go see my 9 year old self's dream lineup on Sunday--Salt n"Peppa, Tiffany, Debbie Gibson and New Kids on the Block.  I have been listening to my Spotify playlist of all these artists and just remembering all the good times I had listening to them back in the day.  It saddens to me to think that there are people like the Duggars who have never had this connection to music.  

Since we are still talking about Bruce, I believe that there are 5 gospels--Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and Bruce.  I listen to the Gospel of Bruce on a daily basis, and feel off all day if I do not.

FUN!  I am seeing my 14 year old giant crush Billy Idol in a few weeks.  My brother in law knows his keyboardist so we MAY get to go backstage.  Told Mr. Natalie I may be hitting the road with my new boyfriend.  HA!

• Love 15
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

FUN!  I am seeing my 14 year old giant crush Billy Idol in a few weeks.  My brother in law knows his keyboardist so we MAY get to go backstage.  Told Mr. Natalie I may be hitting the road with my new boyfriend.  HA!

I'm now totally listening to "White Wedding" for the first time in years because of your comment. 😄 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Zella said:

I'm now totally listening to "White Wedding" for the first time in years because of your comment. 😄 

It never gets old!   And just for the record, he is MINE!!!!!  HA!

• LOL 4
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

It never gets old!   And just for the record, he is MINE!!!!!  HA!

He's all yours! 🙂 

I, um, always had the biggest crush on Robert Plant--even though Led Zeppelin disbanded long before I was born. But, man, age has not been kind to him!

In my mind's eye, he's still like 1970s Robert. LOL 

Well, hell, now I'm going to have to spend the rest of the day rocking out with Zeppelin. 😂

Edited by Zella
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

He's all yours! 🙂 

I, um, always had the biggest crush on Robert Plant--even though Led Zeppelin disbanded long before I was born. But, man, age has not been kind to him!

In my mind's eye, he's still like 1970s Robert. LOL 

Well, hell, now I'm going to have to spend the rest of the day rocking out with Zeppelin. 😂

My husband worked a show that Robert Plant did here a couple of years ago.  He said it was great! 

• Love 3

We are now in the midst of remodeling the kitchen. It should be done in about 4 weeks (I know - I am anticipating longer but I don’t care). It has begun, it is progressing, shit is getting real. I am so excited I can’t even stand myself! Then, the most exciting part, once everything is done, we are getting a new Westie puppy! We lost our sweet Asti in February due to cancer, so once the kitchen is done - a new baby will be in the house! Can’t wait!

• Love 22
17 hours ago, Zella said:

I went to Lake Junaluska, in Haywood County!!! It's right outside of Waynesville. It's a United Methodist retreat. I had friends growing up who went to Lutheridge also, @Marshmallow Mollie! It really is a small world. Also, I love Hendersonville. I once went on a choir tour there, and stayed with really rich people that night! It was a gorgeous town. 

• Love 3

Oh my, I am so out of the loop.  My one free pass is Henry Winkler. Honestly. Not the Fonz.  The real person.  I'm sure his wife would be delighted - NOT!!!  He seems so nice and enthusiastic about life.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

Oh my, I am so out of the loop.  My one free pass is Henry Winkler. Honestly. Not the Fonz.  The real person.  I'm sure his wife would be delighted - NOT!!!  He seems so nice and enthusiastic about life.  

Ha, I was thinking James Garner, yes I know he is dead but he had a lovely voice.

• Love 8
(edited)
5 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Ha, I was thinking James Garner, yes I know he is dead but he had a lovely voice.

YES! I've been watching The Rockford Files for the first time. He's just so damn naturally charming and handsome. LOL

Edited by Zella
  • Love 6