Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

My middle fur-baby came in this morning from going potty, laid down in my kitchen floor and quit living.  Just like that.  

I mean, there’s a lot more to the story, obviously.  Been crying and talking about her all day (alternating with brief periods of slight embarrassment at how distraught I am over losing a dog).  

The screen saver on my work computer is my favorite picture (and for some reason I have more pics of her than the other 2 combined).  She’s a boxer, so her perpetual expression 100% of the time was “.....whuuut?”.  The pic:  she’d been digging in mud, so her square smushy nose is crusted in red mud.  She has eye boogers.  And on either side of her mouth are hanging 8” spools of drool.  Sweetest baby ever.  Sophie-Girl.

E90031AD-91A7-46DD-856B-788A2D61C3B9.jpeg

As others have said, it's like losing a family member.   I am very sorry you lost this sweet girl.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

The new prince is named Archie. I didn’t think Meghan and Harry would name a kid Archie! Baby is adorable.

Maybe they like the Archie comics. Just saying... *whistles*

12 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Maybe they like the Archie comics. Just saying... *whistles*

Probably just a fairly popular name over there. My cousin's daughter in England had a little boy named "Alfie" a couple of years ago, which kind of surprised me as I'd thought they were just using that as a "place holder" name while she was pregnant. But apparently there are lots of little Alfies out there as well. Not even short for anything, Just Alfie.

They are both cute names, I guess, but not ones which have caught on over this side of the pond.

• Love 4

UGH!!! Tomorrow morning someone will be here to do another weatherization audit. I hope it does not take up to two hours like the lady who set up the audit said it could take. I am not feeling good right now. My thyroid levels are still off with hypo and hyperthyroid symptoms. I have to wait two more weeks until I can have another blood test. I was hoping I could get Sassy to do it, but she gets too nervous around other people and would hide under the bed.

1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

UGH!!! Tomorrow morning someone will be here to do another weatherization audit. I hope it does not take up to two hours like the lady who set up the audit said it could take. I am not feeling good right now. My thyroid levels are still off with hypo and hyperthyroid symptoms. I have to wait two more weeks until I can have another blood test. I was hoping I could get Sassy to do it, but she gets too nervous around other people and would hide under the bed.

I'm sorry you're going through that.

I read the bolded sentences and was impressed that you had trained your cat to draw your blood (I mean, mine do sometimes but usually in an indiscriminate way).  The image made me smile, but perhaps I am odd.

• LOL 4
20 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I'm sorry you're going through that.

I read the bolded sentences and was impressed that you had trained your cat to draw your blood (I mean, mine do sometimes but usually in an indiscriminate way).  The image made me smile, but perhaps I am odd.

Ha! She can draw a little blood with she attacks my hand. My husband said he can do my blood test, but I think he would enjoy it a little too much.

I hate waiting to do the test. I also hope I do not say something silly tomorrow morning because I am so tired. My sleep patterns are off, and I can get in a cranky mood when I have to deal with other people. I wish Sassy would talk with the guy and answer his questions tomorrow while I crawl into bed with the comforter over my head, but she is shy and hides. I need to train her to be around other people. Maybe I should look into getting a talking parrot instead.

5 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Probably just a fairly popular name over there. My cousin's daughter in England had a little boy named "Alfie" a couple of years ago, which kind of surprised me as I'd thought they were just using that as a "place holder" name while she was pregnant. But apparently there are lots of little Alfies out there as well. Not even short for anything, Just Alfie.

They are both cute names, I guess, but not ones which have caught on over this side of the pond.

Alfie is popular in England because of Alfie Allen. He played Theon Greyjoy on Game of Thrones. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Alfie is popular in England because of Alfie Allen. He played Theon Greyjoy on Game of Thrones. 

Ah. I have never seen even a single episode of that show, so that would have gone totally over my head.

When I hear Alfie, my mind goes back to the old Michael Caine movie.

• Love 6
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Ah. I have never seen even a single episode of that show, so that would have gone totally over my head.

And then I sing the song. Which is in my head right now...

Edited by Westiepeach
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I saw a few episodes too violent for me 

• Love 1

Tough days. 

My friend in NOLA had to take her Dad off life support yesterday. They are moving him into Hospice care. 

Today I’m taking a neighbor in for a femoral (he had a bypass, but it clogged) rotor rooter (which is going to be outpatient surgery). Then stay at his place for a day to care for him and make sure that everything runs smoothly. He has a DNR in place and is a heavy smoker so I’m worried. It kept me up most of last night. I’m expecting to be in the hospital for 12 hrs on 4 hrs sleep. 

My daughter is not talking to me. Today is her birthday and she thinks that I’ve chosen the neighbor over her. I tried to explain that I had made the promise to take him and wasn’t happy when the MD scheduled it for this day, but he refused to ask the Dr if it could be rescheduled for next week. I apologized profusely, but she’s having none of that. She’s good at shunning and last time she got mad at me I didn’t get to see my grandchildren for three years. I’m so stressed. Thank you for letting me vent and sorry for burdening y’all. 

28 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Tough days. 

My friend in NOLA had to take her Dad off life support yesterday. They are moving him into Hospice care. 

Today I’m taking a neighbor in for a femoral (he had a bypass, but it clogged) rotor rooter (which is going to be outpatient surgery). Then stay at his place for a day to care for him and make sure that everything runs smoothly. He has a DNR in place and is a heavy smoker so I’m worried. It kept me up most of last night. I’m expecting to be in the hospital for 12 hrs on 4 hrs sleep. 

My daughter is not talking to me. Today is her birthday and she thinks that I’ve chosen the neighbor over her. I tried to explain that I had made the promise to take him and wasn’t happy when the MD scheduled it for this day, but he refused to ask the Dr if it could be rescheduled for next week. I apologized profusely, but she’s having none of that. She’s good at shunning and last time she got mad at me I didn’t get to see my grandchildren for three years. I’m so stressed. Thank you for letting me vent and sorry for burdening y’all. 

Oh, damn. That's a lot to deal with all at once. Sending you good thoughts for this difficult day.

• Love 7

@Mindthinkr What a kind and caring person you are.  I hope your daughter can come to realize that you're not choosing your neighbor over her and that she'll see that you've been loving to her and her family so many times in so many ways.  

• Love 10

@Mindthinkr, I hope your friend’s procedure goes well and your daughter comes to realize you absolutely had a no win situation. You are being a good example to her, even if she doesn’t realize it now.  Sending hugs and care your way.

• Love 8

Okay guys, I have a quick question:

My car was really nasty, and I have a beach trip with my family coming up, so I took it to auto bell today for an indoor and outdoor cleaning. I'm really pleased with the results. However, the guy asked me which scent I would like, and I just said new car. I have no idea why I didn't just tell him not to spray anything! I am NOT at all a scent person; I even use unscented deodorant! Scents give me migraines, and I have no clue why I decided to do it just this once. I guess somehow it sounded like a good idea at the time?

The problem is, it smells nothing like a new car, and it is SO strong! I drove to Walmart and was sneezing. I'm sure it won't last forever, but right now, my concern is for my birds. I'm taking my birds to the beach with me, and they have really sensitive respiratory systems. Bottom line is, I need to figure out how to at least vastly reduce this scent, and fast!

ughhh, I am kicking myself! A moment's whimsical idea has now turned into a potentially life or death big deal. 😡😡😡

I have all of the windows and the back open, and at least it is a windy day! I just went out to inspect things, and the good news is, I think they just sprayed it in the back. Both of the back seats smelled really strong, as did the floor. I took the floor mats out in the back, and they don't necessarily have to go back in before the beach. I also cleaned the two back seats with water and dish soap, and they definitely smell better, though you can still smell some chemicals. Thankfully, the front seats and the back cargo area smell fine, so I guess if the birds had to sit in the front or very back, they could, though it wouldn't be ideal. I just can't fathom why I did this lol. I hate scents, and I have no problem saying no to extras. Just hoping that it's cheap crap that will fade quickly!

• Love 4
(edited)

I understand completely! My neighbor across the street is spraying weed killer on his lawn, and I am thinking all long will it take for me to get a headache. I am sensitive to almost any type of smells to the point I am glad we have new kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans because it will help with smells, mold and mildew. And last week, the one guy painted the cover he put over the bathroom exhaust fan, and I swear I can still smell the paint. UGH!!!

Edited by bigskygirl
27 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I understand completely! My neighbor across the street is spraying weed killer on his lawn, and I am thinking all long will it take for me to get a headache. I am sensitive to almost any type of smells to the point I am glad we have new kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans because it will help with smells, mold and mildew. And last week, the one guy painted the cover he put over the bathroom exhaust fan, and I swear I can still smell the paint. UGH!!!

Ughhhh that sounds awful!!! That would bother me too. I bet you are also not a fan of Hollister or Abercrombie, lol! I was thinking about it, and I think maybe I went to autobell (pre birds) right as the actual new car smell was fading, and got this scent, and it was kind of pleasant, but not strong. I think that's why I immediately said yes. They must have just sprayed way more this time, because it just smells like a straight up musty chemical. At least it has two days to fade! I don't remember it lasting long last time, and at least they only sprayed it in the back seat. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

I have all of the windows and the back open, and at least it is a windy day! I just went out to inspect things, and the good news is, I think they just sprayed it in the back. Both of the back seats smelled really strong, as did the floor. I took the floor mats out in the back, and they don't necessarily have to go back in before the beach. I also cleaned the two back seats with water and dish soap, and they definitely smell better, though you can still smell some chemicals. Thankfully, the front seats and the back cargo area smell fine, so I guess if the birds had to sit in the front or very back, they could, though it wouldn't be ideal. I just can't fathom why I did this lol. I hate scents, and I have no problem saying no to extras. Just hoping that it's cheap crap that will fade quickly!

A teaspoon of vinegar with 2 cups of water in a spray bottle could help. You can just mist it, or wipe down the seats too.

If you will remember to remove them before you drive, you can also put straight white vinegar in bowls or containers, set one on the floor in the back, and one in the front. 

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 6
39 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

A teaspoon of vinegar with 2 cups of water in a spray bottle could help. You can just mist it, or wipe down the seats too.

If you will remember to remove them before you drive, you can also put straight white vinegar in bowls or containers, set one on the floor in the back, and one in the front. 

Very good ideas! I'm gonna try that when I get home!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

@Westiepeach good idea. This is why I love you guys. You're like a group of moms to me! 😃😃😃

Ok. Now go eat your vegetables and clean your room. Then teleport yourself here so I can feed you. Wine is chilled. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Love2dance said:

@Mindthinkr, I hope your friend’s procedure goes well and your daughter comes to realize you absolutely had a no win situation. You are being a good example to her, even if she doesn’t realize it now.  Sending hugs and care your way.

@Mindthinkr so sorry your daughter is piling on like this. LOVE2DANCE said it better than I was going to. You are a good example. Good vibes headed your way.

• Love 4
(edited)

Rocky did some serious mourning for two days - total lethargy, wouldn’t eat.  But today he’s perkier.  Took a long walk with me and even “pretend” chased a squirrel.  He’s old, he just pretends now.  I was really worried he would grieve himself literally to death, but he seems to be coming around.  @jcbrown, Sophie was never a toy girl.  She just didn’t care about them at all.  The best part of her day was rawhide time, when she would watch the little guy with predator eyes until he got bored with his little bone.  Sometimes at night, you’d look over and she’d have a little pile of rawhides laying around her.  When Rocky was a young one, he would chase a ball like a pro baseball player and would catch it on the first bounce.  He was maniacal about getting that ball and bringing it back.  Sophie would run right behind him all the way and run just as hard back, but never EVER fetched a ball.  If I were to be out there alone with her and throw the ball, she’d look up at me with that ever present expression “whuuuut?” And not move a muscle.  

HOWEVER, we have 2 big dog beds we’d drag to the living room in the daytime, and to the bedroom at night.  Since she’s gone, I brought one to live permanently in the living room and left “Sophie’s” bed in the bedroom.  Any time he stretches out for a nap now, he opts to wander down the hall and uses Sophie’s bed.  I think that’s so sweet.

also, I don’t mean to brag or anything (that’s a lie, of COURSE I’m bragging).  People tell me alllll the time how well behaved my dogs are.  (And they SOOO are!).  When they get treats, they all know they have to sit and be sweet.  They take them ever so gently from me (not allowed to grab).  And if I hold one out and say to them, “this is Ollie’s” (Ollie being the smallest and the baby), the bigger dogs actually turn their heads away, to indicate they understand not to take it.  

My freezer died in the garage and I had to bring in all the “stuff” and cram it somewhere.  In it, I found 4 packs of turkey necks, (Seriously!) as well as turkey bacon and several bags of various leftover carcasses I’d saved to flavor their food.  

Honestly.  I wouldn’t have this conversation or admit my meat hoarding to anyone else.  I promise I will quit talking dog all the time in a few days.  I’m getting better too.

533BF028-E7C7-4ABC-B50E-56A9BA283AD2.jpeg

Edited by Happyfatchick
Because I should proofread before hitting send
  • Love 18
11 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Dang, that is a TIGHT SPOT.  I don’t even have any advice... I thought and thought and I got nothing.  You’re doing the right thing, and your daughter needs to see the example.  There’s nothing left except apologies, but if she’s hearing none of it...  How old is she?

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Happyfatchick said:

Rocky did some serious mourning for two days - total lethargy, wouldn’t eat.  But today he’s perkier. 

I think Rocky was also mirroring and feeling your emotions. As you get better, so will he. And vice versa. Glad you are both feeling a little stronger. 

Edited by Love2dance
Spelling
  • Love 5
(edited)

Mindthinkr, I hope everything goes well with your neighbor's surgery. As for your daughter, she needs to grow up. An adult woman with children of her own should be mature enough not to throw a hissy fit like a pre-teen just because her mother is helping out a friend on her birthday. She should know better. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 10
12 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

How old is she?

She turned 39 yesterday. 

I kept bugging her thinking eventually that I would wear her down. Finally last night she answered the phone. Nobody is her family remembered her bday. Not her husband or kids (ages 17, 15, and 12). So I guess Mom Love (even when you are mad at her) is better than no love. She sounded wounded, but I did my best to cheer her up. 

Neighbor had 2 70% blockages requiring 2 stents. He has a 40% blockage on his other leg, but the Dr didn’t want to fix that at this time. He tolerated it all well and had an awesome nurse. When she found out I was a former nurse she allowed me to stay and learn how to use the new pressure bubble that they applied after surgery. She needed to catch up on her charting as well so I told her that I understand, that I’d leave her alone and let her get on with it. So she kept coming into the room to get her work done. I think the neighbor got a tad of extra attention because she was so grateful for our attitudes. He was so funny on the dopey drugs! I took him home and cooked him a steak dinner (man has a cast iron stomach when it comes to eating) and made him sit and rest. I just popped home to make a cup of tea and feed my cats. I’ll go back over there to make him lunch. Dinner tonight will be fresh pesto from basil picked out of the garden. I think that he’ll be ok to stay alone tonight. 

Y'all will never know how much you mean to me and how it lightened my heart to vent all my nonsense yesterday. Moving forward I now have more time to think (and pray) about and for you. Bless you virtual friends. 

• Love 20

@Mindthinkr, you're an amazing and kind neighbor. And, I'm glad your daughter picked up the phone at last and accepted some Mom-love. 

[*speaking in tiny little voice*] Any houses for sale on your street? Asking for a friend.

• LOL 7
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

@Mindthinkr, you're an amazing and kind neighbor. And, I'm glad your daughter picked up the phone at last and accepted some Mom-love. 

[*speaking in tiny little voice*] Any houses for sale on your street? Asking for a friend.

Actually there is and all the neighbors are great! 

• Love 3

I think you're a real sweetheart, @Mindthinkr, and am glad your neighbor is doing all right. 

Also glad your daughter is talking to you, but I must confess, I had a good chuckle at her getting a dose of her own medicine. Maybe, hopefully, she learned a lesson from it? 

• Love 6

Thanks, everyone for the car advice yesterday! I did everything you suggested, and it smells SO much better today!!! I bet it will be okay tomorrow. Thanks, moms! You guys have so many good ideas! 😃😃😃

• Love 5

@DragonFaerie I’m sorry to hear that your husband is still searching for answers so they can fix them. It all sounds worrisome. Having spent the day in the hospital yesterday I can empathize with the noise levels. The walls seem paper thin and the noises just bounce around and echo. Too noisy for someone to get some decent healing rest. Especially when they are waking someone up every half hour to check on them, do a procedure or take vitals. Please take good care of yourself. Get rest at home when possible and eat well. I’m pulling for you both to have many happy decades together. A hug from me and purrs from the Mindthinkr kitties. 

• Love 11

I don't normally post in this thread but I saw something odd yesterday that I just have to tell somebody somewhere.

I was in my car in the parking lot of a garden center getting ready to leave.  It's May, and it's busy, and there are cars on either side of me so I have to be careful backing out.  In my right-hand mirror I see a young couple, obviously from the car on my right, setting up a baby carriage. I would prefer they didn't do it so close to my car, which is running and obviously getting ready to back up, but I have no choice but to be patient and wait.  So I do.

Are you guys familiar with the square yellow "Baby on board" signs?  Been around since the 80's, and you still see them from time to time.  What good they were supposed to do I never could figure out.  "Hey, if you're going to have an accident and crash into someone, don't crash into me, because there's a baby in the car?"  It's an accident, you idiots!  But to continue,

The couple eventually leave, and I pull out of my parking spot.  And as I do, I see the "Baby on board" sign in a rear window of the car.  Except instead of "Baby on board" it says "Baby Up in This Bitch".  Now, what kind of an ASSHOLE would you have to be to put that in your window?  I should point out that the car was a black BMW hatchback (ugly in my opinion although undoubtedly expensive) which in the upscale suburb I was in wouldn't warrant a second glance.  It just made me so mad. 

Thank you all for giving me a place to vent. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I don't normally post in this thread but I saw something odd yesterday that I just have to tell somebody somewhere.

I was in my car in the parking lot of a garden center getting ready to leave.  It's May, and it's busy, and there are cars on either side of me so I have to be careful backing out.  In my right-hand mirror I see a young couple, obviously from the car on my right, setting up a baby carriage. I would prefer they didn't do it so close to my car, which is running and obviously getting ready to back up, but I have no choice but to be patient and wait.  So I do.

Are you guys familiar with the square yellow "Baby on board" signs?  Been around since the 80's, and you still see them from time to time.  What good they were supposed to do I never could figure out.  "Hey, if you're going to have an accident and crash into someone, don't crash into me, because there's a baby in the car?"  It's an accident, you idiots!  But to continue,

The couple eventually leave, and I pull out of my parking spot.  And as I do, I see the "Baby on board" sign in a rear window of the car.  Except instead of "Baby on board" it says "Baby Up in This Bitch".  Now, what kind of an ASSHOLE would you have to be to put that in your window?  I should point out that the car was a black BMW hatchback (ugly in my opinion although undoubtedly expensive) which in the upscale suburb I was in wouldn't warrant a second glance.  It just made me so mad. 

Thank you all for giving me a place to vent. 

I normally don't post either but I had to respond.  I saw the same sign today outside of Winners in Abbotsford, B.C.