Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

(edited)

DragonFaerie, I'm so happy to hear the surgery went well. Hopefully, his recovery will be completely uneventful and his parents being in town will allow you to get some rest.

doodlebug, I love it when you throw down knowledge! Have you heard of CIGC in Maryland? My friend just had a partial hysterectomy there for a 19! pound fibroid. I'm not sure how they do the surgery but she was home the same day and back at work in a week. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 4

*currently relaxing and hoping for some serendipitous meeting in the grocery store or park. Would be amazing luck, but would balance out this bad luck. 😜*

That is a good idea - I still think the problem isn't you, its the format!  Guys can hide behind fake stuff.  No telling if you found a way to fit this guy in that would have scared him even more.  Have you considered a real life matchmaker?  Or just doing things you like to do with the idea of meeting more people, not necessarily men, and make friends.  Maybe they have friends and their friends have friends.  I was hardly prime material when I met Mr. lookeyloo.  Divorced, two kids, not looking.  Way before the internet.  A friend kept saying we should go out. I kept resisting.  We had a date. On paper we are very wrong for each other.  It was not love at first, second, third, or by months, sight.  He is unusual in that he wasn't looking for games or a quick anything.  Anyway, married going on 37 years. I really think we aren't all that unusual.  Don't give up!  Just try and make friends for now, new ones, and have new experiences.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

*currently relaxing and hoping for some serendipitous meeting in the grocery store or park. Would be amazing luck, but would balance out this bad luck. 😜*

That is a good idea - I still think the problem isn't you, its the format!  Guys can hide behind fake stuff.  No telling if you found a way to fit this guy in that would have scared him even more.  Have you considered a real life matchmaker?  Or just doing things you like to do with the idea of meeting more people, not necessarily men, and make friends.  Maybe they have friends and their friends have friends.  I was hardly prime material when I met Mr. lookeyloo.  Divorced, two kids, not looking.  Way before the internet.  A friend kept saying we should go out. I kept resisting.  We had a date. On paper we are very wrong for each other.  It was not love at first, second, third, or by months, sight.  He is unusual in that he wasn't looking for games or a quick anything.  Anyway, married going on 37 years. I really think we aren't all that unusual.  Don't give up!  Just try and make friends for now, new ones, and have new experiences.

Awwww thank you!!! I'm really hoping that I will find a teaching job for this year, and then that will be an easy way to make new friends, and one of them might know somebody! I try to be as social as I can, but it's tough because I don't know anyone who's interested in "going out" anymore (I'm not even talking partying, but I used to go to a lot of fun things like Alive After 5, etc, but now those friends have kids) and everyone claims that their husbands have no friends. I'm honestly hoping for just a random chance meeting at this point, I suppose. Online dating sucks, but it's so weird, because guys always complain that 20% of the guys are getting the messages, while it's hard for an average guy. Well, I am giving the average guys a chance, but maybe those average guys also expect a model? I really think the demographics in online dating have changed in the last few years. I used to have no problem meeting boyfriends on OkCupid, and the first time I did eharmony, it was awesome! I met my boyfriend, as well as lots of other awesome guys. This time around on eharmony, those guys just weren't there. It wasn't even that they were there but just not choosing to write to me, but the quality was way down, period. It seems like 3-5 years ago, there were just a lot more decent guys online. I have no clue why things could change, but it seems they have. But I also do believe, as a Christian, that god has a plan, and nothing's going to work if it's not in your plan. I try to trust God on this, but it's not easy!

1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Cryo has been almost completely replaced by LEEP for the reasons you cite.  Cryo requires 2 3minute freezes of the cervix.  While that is happening, intense cramping is common, while it is usually not a big problem with LEEP.  The discharge after a cryo is profuse and usually much heavier and lasts up to a month compared to LEEP.

Since the cure rate for abnormal Paps is 90% or so with LEEP or cryo, the vast majority of people never have another abnormal pap after the procedure is done.  

@doodlebug, everything you post makes me feel better and better!!!

• Love 1

@Christina87 - tis a dilemma for sure. Do you have meet up groups where you are?  Meetup.com For like minded activities.  Mr. lookeyloo isn't in the market for a date, but, he was in the market for a group of like minded usually men for game playing, like dungeons and dragons.  He went the meet up route and had to filter through some mismatches and finally now has a group of men he gets with at a cafe every Sunday afternoon.  So, think of what you like to do and then look for just people (not necessarily a boyfriend) who like to do that or similar.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

just read a lot of posts -- ya'll been chatty! so lets see...

DragonFaerie - that is a blessing to get a good report about your husband.

Christina87 - i gave up on dating and took a 1 year break from it completely to focus on God and my children. i met my husband later that same year at a backyard pool party for an 8 year old!

emma675 - i am in the hairstylist dilemma myself. i did not make a follow up appointment last time with her or, in fact, with my nail team. i just got tired of confused appointments, and cutting into cowlicks and nail techs hurting me by making my wrist be in a difficult position for me. now i need to find all new but at least i am not now knowingly paying people to hurt me or hurt my hair. 

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, zoomama said:

just read a lot of posts -- ya'll been chatty! so lets see...

DragonFaerie - that is a blessing to get a good report about your husband.

Christina87 - i gave up on dating and took a 1 year break from it completely to focus on God and my children. i met my husband later that same year at a backyard pool party for an 8 year old!

emma675 - i am in the hairstylist dilemma myself. i did not make a follow up appointment last time with her or, in fact, with my nail team. i just got tired of confused appointments, and cutting into cowlicks and nail techs hurting me by making my wrist be in a difficult position for me. now i need to find all new but at least i am not now knowingly paying people to hurt me or hurt my hair. 

Ok. That's a REALLY cool story!!! Absolutely love it! 💕💕👍🏻

(edited)

@DragonFaerie That sounds incredibly scary. So glad the outcome is looking positive so far.

Regarding breaking up with professionals. I went to the dentist for a tooth-cleaning and was booked with someone I had not seen before. She was nice enough but I felt like she was a bit condescending and also working from a script (she complimented my flossing but then insisted I demonstrate how I floss so she could correct me, she recommended a different brand of floss that I have tried before and do not care for). The more I thought about it after the appointment, the more I dreaded going back to her--and I am someone who normally likes getting my teeth cleaned. I called the dentist and told them I wanted to cancel my upcoming appointment with her and book with someone else, that I just wanted to find someone where I felt the fit was better. I was unreasonably proud of myself after that. Working against the way women are socialized (by asking for what we want) can be challenging sometimes!

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 12

I admit I have been thinking of going to another dentist. The dentist is fine, but I do not care for the attitude of one of his staff members. He is married to my eye doctor, so I feel terrible about going to someone else, but I want to feel comfortable when I see the dentist. I also know I probably will get a lecture because I have not been in for cleanings since last July, but I lost my dental insurance last August.

@DragonFaerie, so glad to hear that your husband pulled through surgery and things are looking up!! I've been looking at this page through my fingers the last couple of days afraid of what I might read!

All the best thoughts continuing to be sent your way - and all those heathen prayers as well.

I hope that the worst is over with and his recovery continues to be uneventful!

• Love 11
(edited)
39 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I admit I have been thinking of going to another dentist. The dentist is fine, but I do not care for the attitude of one of his staff members. He is married to my eye doctor, so I feel terrible about going to someone else, but I want to feel comfortable when I see the dentist. I also know I probably will get a lecture because I have not been in for cleanings since last July, but I lost my dental insurance last August.

I wish you could come to my dad! 😜

My dad's having a problem with one of his staff members, though. She isn't bad to the patients, but just REALLY stupid. Like...she'll say things in front of patients that are ignorant, but she's not bad at her job, and is nice to the patients. She is driving him crazy though, haha! she'll get some ridiculous notion in her head, like that germany's not part of Europe, and will say things like that around patients. Poor girl is just dumb as a brick! My dad just can't believe what comes out of her mouth!

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 2
On 5/4/2019 at 11:33 AM, bigskygirl said:

Spurge and Henry would not know the fun of going on school field trips. I remember going to the post office, fire department and East Helena Smelter. In my junior year of high school, my Psychology teacher wanted to take us to the state prison or the state mental hospital, but the principal and school board said no. We ended up going to the state school for the developmentally disabled instead.

We went to the jail in third grade, and then to McDonald’s for lunch. Our teacher told us to pay close attention because most of us would end up in one or the other. He probably wasn’t wrong, actually. 

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

We went to the jail in third grade, and then to McDonald’s for lunch. Our teacher told us to pay close attention because most of us would end up in one or the other. He probably wasn’t wrong, actually. 

Before we are told to move on ..... in first grade we went to a turkey farm right before Thanksgiving!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

@DragonFaerie I'm so glad he pulled through the surgery and hope he continues to recover and improve. 

And saying this as someone who has spent way more time the past 3 months in hospitals on a relative's behalf than I ever had before, please make sure you try to take care of yourself, too! Easier said than done, I know, but still. 

• Love 9
35 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

Before we are told to move on ..... in first grade we went to a turkey farm right before Thanksgiving!

That’s both hilarious and horrifying at the same time. I was a sarcastic child, so I would have looked at our Thanksgiving turkey and said “Jasper? Is that you?”

There was a prostitute in one of the cells at the jail who actually talked to us girls for ten minutes about how we should stay in school and off drugs so we could have happy lives. A school would never get away with such a field trip today, but it was actually really touching and I think she might really have made a difference in some of the girls’ lives. I grew up in a rough area and a lot of us had folks who were absent, or on drugs, or just working so hard to get by that they were never around. It’s hard to imagine a future other than the one you see as a child. Come to think of it, that’s probably why so many of the Duggar kids are hesitant to stray from the path. 

• Love 17
1 minute ago, mynextmistake said:

That’s both hilarious and horrifying at the same time. I was a sarcastic child, so I would have looked at our Thanksgiving turkey and said “Jasper? Is that you?”

There was a prostitute in one of the cells at the jail who actually talked to us girls for ten minutes about how we should stay in school and off drugs so we could have happy lives. A school would never get away with such a field trip today, but it was actually really touching and I think she might really have made a difference in some of the girls’ lives. I grew up in a rough area and a lot of us had folks who were absent, or on drugs, or just working so hard to get by that they were never around. It’s hard to imagine a future other than the one you see as a child. Come to think of it, that’s probably why so many of the Duggar kids are hesitant to stray from the path. 

This was the late 50s and we did live in Dairy Farm country, so it was a trip to the farm which probably bored the farm kids in my class.  I was confused, because we didn't eat turkey, ever.  The bus trip was fun, since it was the first time in a school bus.  What a bunch of strange field trips we all have taken.  Shame none of the Duggar spawn will have such unique experiences with their peers.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

For everyone and @Jynnan tonnix, So I showed up at the ICU before the husband's surgery in an interesting garb.  I had decided when I had come home for a couple of hours, pre-surgery, that I wanted to have as many connections between us during surgery.  So, I wore the 30 year old, purple, knee-high suade boots I wore when we were dating, his wedding ring, 2 bracelets he had given me - over 25 years apart and the first one cost him $1 at a gas station.  6 necklaces - one which he had made himself, one which he added to, 2 he had given me, 1 very special to me that also had my wedding rings on it because they are too tight, and my Brighid's cross.  Add in my Supernatural charm bracelet, which has the Gabriel/trickster charm, because he NEVER seems to die, and a t-shirt with a black cat, candle and spell books on it.  Plus earrings he had designed and made for me.  I went old school and pulled on everything I could.  Later post surgery, I had at least half of the ICU staff loving what I was wearing and talking to me about all of it.  

Love it!!!

• Love 6

Speaking of the turkey, my grandma grew up on a farm. Once, her family let her keep the runt of a pig litter as a pet. She loved that pig so much! It did everything with her, and even slept in her room! One day, that pig was gone! She asked where it was, annnnd...

They looked down at their plates. 😭

She also stepped on a nail on the farm, and it went all the way through her foot! Her brother poured kerosene in it to try to kill the germs. She spent weeks in bed, relying on old country medicine, but got through it okay. 

She also almost died at age ten, when she had meningitis. They scraped together the money to take her to a hospital in the nearest city, and she had her mastoid bone removed, with a metal one put in. She woke up to see bone chips on her pillow. While she was in the hospital, she hallucinated seeing a black man, like someone from the Carribean, coming into her room bringing bags of sugar. He brought one bag at a time, and interacted with / entertained her while he was there. The weird thing is, she had no idea these island men existed, or that there was an island anywhere that people dressed like that and grew sugar. When she got older and realized that, she truly wondered if he had been a ghost. She had no idea how she would have had that image in her head to hallucinate!

hahahaha she used to tell us stories of farm life all the time! I want to write them all down sometime so I'll always have them. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

For everyone and @Jynnan tonnix, So I showed up at the ICU before the husband's surgery in an interesting garb.  I had decided when I had come home for a couple of hours, pre-surgery, that I wanted to have as many connections between us during surgery.  So, I wore the 30 year old, purple, knee-high suade boots I wore when we were dating, his wedding ring, 2 bracelets he had given me - over 25 years apart and the first one cost him $1 at a gas station.  6 necklaces - one which he had made himself, one which he added to, 2 he had given me, 1 very special to me that also had my wedding rings on it because they are too tight, and my Brighid's cross.  Add in my Supernatural charm bracelet, which has the Gabriel/trickster charm, because he NEVER seems to die, and a t-shirt with a black cat, candle and spell books on it.  Plus earrings he had designed and made for me.  I went old school and pulled on everything I could.  Later post surgery, I had at least half of the ICU staff loving what I was wearing and talking to me about all of it.  

This is fantastic. Keep taking care of your relationship and yourself. All the best to you. (I am SF Bay Area and think you are, as well, no?)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, jcbrown said:

This is fantastic. Keep taking care of your relationship and yourself. All the best to you. (I am SF Bay Area and think you are, as well, no?)

Yup, SF Bay Area.  You are correct

• Love 2

This is Mommy Rabbittron I have a funny high school field trip story . I was in an environmental studies class and there's was a class trip to the sewage treatment plant me and my high-school boyfriend at the time didn't want to go on a trip but we were out for the day so we decided to go to his families Brigantine New Jersey beach home for the day. I called my mom and told her where I was she didn't believe me she told me she wanted proof but I got back till I got her sand ,seashells ,ocean water and salt water Taffy's after that she believed whatever I had to say.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Yes I am.  East Bay area

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DragonFaerie said:

Started Monday off with a slight fever - 100. X-rays to check for pneumonia. X-rays showed either edema from his abdomen or the start of pneumonia. Breathing exercises every hour. No pain meds for the morning and his bp meds were turned off. By noon, fever broke and good. Very alert and can answer questions. Just after lunch the nurses got him out of bed and into the chair!!! He was super excited to get out of the bed!!! He is also now allowed ice chips and went through 3 whole cups of them. Watching tv. Stayed in the chair for 4+ hours. Then his body was sore and he had pain meds, which meant the bp medicine had to start again. Back in bed and snoozing. Feet and legs have NO swelling today at all!!! Still no real urine output, so focus on that for anyone sending and doing stuff. Both eyes now have capilliary booms, but the nurses are still very pleased with his progress. Also his post surgery drains are draining very well and it's clear - not cloudy at all.

Make sure he uses his incentive spirometer! Everyone hates them but they’re the best defense we have against postsurgical pneumonia. There are excellent hospitals in the Bay Area. Best wishes to both of you!

• Love 6
On 5/5/2019 at 9:51 AM, DragonFaerie said:

Hello everyone and thank you for all the prayers, energy, warm fuzzies and more.  

Such wonderful news that he is improving every day. What an ordeal you have both been through. Thank you for keeping us up to date as you are certainly in our thoughts. I was just in the Bay Area helping my son after his surgery....I could have brought you chicken soup.

I just love your story about all you wore to his surgery. I am sure all the good vibes those memories brought helped him recover.

May he continue on the path to wellness and hope you get more sleep. Many, many hugs.

• Love 8
On 4/26/2019 at 11:47 AM, Scarlett45 said:

Thank you! To anyone going to the UK, if you are interested in day tours I highly recommend Rabbie’s. Tours from London, Edinburgh and a few other places (I cannot remember off of the top of my head). I had the best time and it was well worth the money. Next time I come to the UK I will want to do their Shakespeare tour and Cotswolds. 

Oooo..I'll have to tell my son about this. He and his family are currently stationed in Stuttgart (Germany) and they are going to different counties whenever they have 3 day weekends.

• Love 3
On 5/4/2019 at 5:57 PM, emma675 said:

I'm posting this here, too, because I think we've got a good group of ladies who could give me advice. 

I've got a conundrum. How do you break up with your hairstylist? In the past it's been natural--I've moved or they did or the salon closed. I've been with my current stylist for 5 years now and it's gotten to the point where I dread going. It's almost like she thinks she "owns" my hair now. She won't add highlights or lighten it the way I want because it might damage my hair; I added a few extensions last year (with another girl) and she gets all judgy about them and refuses to color them because she "doesn't do extensions". Today she kept saying she saw damage in areas where I don't even have extensions, yet she was positive they were the cause. Shes a cool girl but over the years she's just gotten more negative in general and it's exhausting. But I have no idea how to leave without hurting her feelings. 

I am an ex hairstylist.  I actually am breaking up with my stylist right now.  I am passively breaking up.  Just not going back.  My situation is nothing like yours which sounds really frustrating.  Your stylist is upset someone else touched your hair which is not fair to you.  YOU are the boss of your hair although her/his expertise is something they should give when you want to change it up.  But of course coloring/highlighting is going to damage it somewhat.  My guess is she is not comfortable doing what you want as in not very good at it.  Slightly damaged hair styles better anyway!  You should change stylists if you cannot have a meeting of the minds.  No need to really tell them anything.

I am leaving mine because I have been a client since 2005 and had made an appt for this past weekend 4 months ago.  He is sick which I get so they had to cancel my appt.  They couldn't get me back in for a month.  Um no.  These roots are long and my ends are dry so it just isn't happening.  The receptionist was kind of a bitch so I had a consultation with a new person at another salon and I am getting it done Friday.  I know when I was a stylist I moved heaven and earth to do my canceled appts ASAP.  

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

12 days, 13 showings, a last minute bidding war 😱😱😱, and we have sold our house! Cash offer at asking price (that I thought was set too high)!!! And we close at the end of the month! Aaahhhhh!!! Now we have to find a new house!

Woohoo!!!!!

Those situations are the BEST!

We have always been relatively lucky in our home sales...The best one was in 1999 when we listed our house on a Friday night, and my daughter and I flew to England for a vacation to visit family Saturday morning. Mr. Jyn called Sunday morning to let my know that there was a three-way bidding war going on over our house, which sold the next day for $10,000 over the asking price!

I hope you have the same sort of luck!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Woohoo!!!!!

Those situations are the BEST!

We have always been relatively lucky in our home sales...The best one was in 1999 when we listed our house on a Friday night, and my daughter and I flew to England for a vacation to visit family Saturday morning. Mr. Jyn called Sunday morning to let my know that there was a three-way bidding war going on over our house, which sold the next day for $10,000 over the asking price!

I hope you have the same sort of luck!!

Hahahaha that reminds me of a story from my family! My mom, sister, and I were out of town, visiting my grandmother when I was a little kid. My dad called and said, "we're moving!" My mom had no idea what had happened, because they weren't thinking of moving at all. Turns out, my dad had grown up in our town, and he had always wanted to live in our current house, since he was a little boy! It was definitely a prominent house in our town, so he had to put an offer in right away. Thankfully, we all liked it once we got home, and we got the house!!! We've lived there for 26 years now, and we love it so much. That was the only time my dad made such a quick, big decision haha. My mom was thrown for a loop!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

My middle fur-baby came in this morning from going potty, laid down in my kitchen floor and quit living.  Just like that.  

I mean, there’s a lot more to the story, obviously.  Been crying and talking about her all day (alternating with brief periods of slight embarrassment at how distraught I am over losing a dog).  

The screen saver on my work computer is my favorite picture (and for some reason I have more pics of her than the other 2 combined).  She’s a boxer, so her perpetual expression 100% of the time was “.....whuuut?”.  The pic:  she’d been digging in mud, so her square smushy nose is crusted in red mud.  She has eye boogers.  And on either side of her mouth are hanging 8” spools of drool.  Sweetest baby ever.  Sophie-Girl.

E90031AD-91A7-46DD-856B-788A2D61C3B9.jpeg

Oh, @Happyfatchick, I am so terribly sorry. What a shock and what a loss. May your warm, wonderful memories console you.

But I must say, that is exactly how I would like to go. (You are the only person I would dare say this to. Hope you understand.)

Sending many hugs and caring thoughts your way.  ❤️

• Love 10
7 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

My middle fur-baby came in this morning from going potty, laid down in my kitchen floor and quit living.  Just like that.  

I mean, there’s a lot more to the story, obviously.  Been crying and talking about her all day (alternating with brief periods of slight embarrassment at how distraught I am over losing a dog).  

The screen saver on my work computer is my favorite picture (and for some reason I have more pics of her than the other 2 combined).  She’s a boxer, so her perpetual expression 100% of the time was “.....whuuut?”.  The pic:  she’d been digging in mud, so her square smushy nose is crusted in red mud.  She has eye boogers.  And on either side of her mouth are hanging 8” spools of drool.  Sweetest baby ever.  Sophie-Girl.

E90031AD-91A7-46DD-856B-788A2D61C3B9.jpeg

What a sweet girl!  I'm so sorry for your loss.  Our pets aren't just dogs, cats, or birds.  They have a really special place, like an incredibly loved friend.  It's a huge loss and it just happened.  Blessings and prayers for your peace.  

• Love 9

HFC. I'm so sorry for you. Losing a beloved pet is like losing a family member. Heck, they're in our daily lives more than some family members. I still miss my old dog Olivia and it's been almost two years. 

• Love 3

Sorry to take the topic away from sweet Sophie. I just saw on the news Marie Osmond will be the new host on The Talk? I cannot stand her at all.

Now back to sweet Sophie. R.I.P. Sophie Girl

(edited)

Thanks everyone for the thoughts.  Boxers are indeed a breed like no other.  She used her paws differently than any other dog I’ve ever had.  The other two have to get their nose on the prize and pick it up with their mouth.  Sophie could open doors.  She could lay down and swipe an object from under the couch.  Once, she was sitting in the middle of the back porch between door and edge.  My son’s insane puppy was here.  (Little ADHD dog in steroids).  He’s running from door to edge back and forth back and forth.  About his 4th trip, without looking like there was any effort, Sophie timed it,  reached out one paw and SQUASHED him flat on his way by.  I’ve talked to other boxer owners who said theirs were territorial.  She never was.  She was just the sweetest girl.

@Love2dance, EXACTLY!!!!!  She just “gave out” on the porch.  My husband picked her up anbrought her in, calling for me.  I ran in the kitchen and got in the floor with her.  She acknowledged me, took three breaths and was gone.  I was stunned!  I said “is she GONE??”  She was.  Just like that.  It was hard, but thank you seeet baby Jebus... no struggle, no fight to survive.  She just... quit living.  Sign me up!! 

@bigskygirl,  I was just taking to a friend the other day about Marie O.  She’s MY age.  She needs to figure that out.  Fifteen is a looooong way back and we ain’t that any more.

ETA:  The older baby (Rocky) seems like he’s mourning today.  Lethargic and uninterested.  He and Sophie were raised as siblings.  I was afraid of this...

Edited by Happyfatchick
Just to say
  • Love 9

Oh, @Happyfatchick, I am so sorry. Regarding your survivor dog, when we lost Hillary's two littermates four years ago, I read that you should leave some items that were loved by your pet who is gone so that the surviving pet can experience the scent fading naturally. Supposedly that helps them process that their friend is gone.

It's been a bad time for pets lately, it seems. My sister's 13 year-old kitty, Charlie, had a stroke recently. He only lasted 36 hours and he was gone. Five days later, her 15-year old kitty, Chloe (whom she adopted when we had to move my dad into memory care--Chloe was his kitty) developed a blood clot that killed her within 24 hours. Chloe was at home and my sister was trying to keep her comfortable and then she was just gone.

And I write this with my 19-year old (Hillary) in my lap. Her kidney disease has gotten sharply worse in the last week. We've started giving her sub-cutaneous fluids which seem to help a bit but she is clearly not feeling great. She is refusing food a good bit of the time. This morning she would not touch her food so I scrambled her an egg, which she tucked into with as much gusto as she has for anything. At this point I am completely willing to be her short-order cook.

• Love 4