Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I hope so for both you and the cats. All white cats are usually quite adoptable because they are unusual (to my knowledge). Interesting that they were so chill with the turkeys. 

Depends on whether they're deaf.  White cats with blue eyes are deaf and some people wouldn't want them, which could explain why they turned up in your yard.  If they are deaf, I hope the ASPCA can get them spayed or neutered because it is obviously risky for a cat living outdoors to be unable to hear and it is definitely inherited so their kittens will also be at risk for deafness.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I have been thinking about Arwen and Mick's Picks.  We don't know what happened with either one, but most of us have a feeling they've moved on to the next dimension.  Obviously, we cannot really have a service or a sendoff for them; but is anyone interested in a 'Remembering'?  I've done it in other online groups.  We pick a day and a time and all of us join together spiritually across the miles and think of our friends and the good times we've shared.  Each of us does what feels right to us in that moment.  Reading their old posts, saying a prayer, meditating, lighting a candle or playing a favorite song are some of the options I've seen.

I am just suggesting that all of us as a community, spend about 5 minutes thinking about those who we may not encounter again and wish them well on their journey and express our thanks to have known them.

I don't want to be a downer, but it is something I've been thinking about.

I think that is a wonderful idea. I just lost my father-in-law a few weeks ago and I would definitely be down for something like this!

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I have been thinking about Arwen and Mick's Picks.  We don't know what happened with either one, but most of us have a feeling they've moved on to the next dimension.  Obviously, we cannot really have a service or a sendoff for them; but is anyone interested in a 'Remembering'?  I've done it in other online groups.  We pick a day and a time and all of us join together spiritually across the miles and think of our friends and the good times we've shared.  Each of us does what feels right to us in that moment.  Reading their old posts, saying a prayer, meditating, lighting a candle or playing a favorite song are some of the options I've seen.

I am just suggesting that all of us as a community, spend about 5 minutes thinking about those who we may not encounter again and wish them well on their journey and express our thanks to have known them.

Were you reading my mind earlier today? I was out watching the hummingbird feeder and had the same thought. I never knew Mick’sPicks but would still be interested in participating. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 5

I was in another thread where a poster passed away and her niece came on and let us know what happened. It was sad but nice to have closure. I wish all of us could have someone like that, but I know it's not always possible. 

I hope Arwen and Mick's Picks are having a great time, wherever they are now. I like to think we'll all meet up at some point on the other side.

• Love 9

There’s another poster I haven’t heard from since the hurricane. @stewedsquash  She is in NC and I believe in an area that might have had bad flooding. I’m hoping it’s just issues but I’m worried. 

10 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I was in another thread where a poster passed away and her niece came on and let us know what happened. It was sad but nice to have closure. I wish all of us could have someone like that, but I know it's not always possible. 

I hope Arwen and Mick's Picks are having a great time, wherever they are now. I like to think we'll all meet up at some point on the other side.

That’s why I emailed to a friend (a fellow poster) to come onto here and let y’all know that I was ok during the hurricane. If anything ever happens to me my daughter has instructions to get in touch with that same person  because I don’t want everyone to be left wondering if I was to suddenly disappear. I’m at that age where you never know. I have had health problems but don’t plan on going anywhere soon. God may feel differently. 

BE WELL ALL

Edited by Mindthinkr
Silly autocorrect
  • Love 16
28 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I had major surgery in May that could have taken a very bad turn.  I made sure my daughters had the password for my phone and knew where the passwords were for the sites I frequent so they could make an announcement if needed.  A couple of years ago I lost a dear online friend and didn't find out until six weeks after she passed.  I don't want other people to go through that.  Now, I'm glad I at least found out about the online friend and wasn't left wondering.  

• Love 12
4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Great idea.  I'm in.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I was JUST thinking of Arwen which is why I popped on quickly to see if there were any updates, which I sort of know there wouldn't be...

Beautiful idea.

About the white cats, Doodlebug.  White cats with blue eyes are deaf???  Wow.  Now I'm even more concerned where these cats are coming from.  Someone is dumping them in the hundreds of acre preserved land behind my house and they are migrating over to my "cat house".  

Now I feel really worried for the cats!

I gotta track down my drunk animal loving neighbor and see what she can do.  She herself has over 10 cats.  Her house is immaculate so no neglect concerns...just really enjoys cats. And booze. And sunbathing nude. (I put up bushes to cover up...the situation)

@Catfin So sorry about your dog. 

@Absolom  I did not know.  So glad you are well. 

@jcbrown I'm so sorr y about your dad.  Happy Birthday, friend

EDIT:  Just sent Arwen a note using my real name., hopefully that seems more legit..hoping her husband can give us an update.  God willing, Arwen herself will. 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 19

This thread is so warm and fuzzy - even when things aren't great. Other than FB this is my first experience with an online community and from what I understand we are a unique bunch. 

I'm guessing wherever @Arwen Evenstar and @Micks Picks are, they're full on frontal hugging whoever they encounter.

Warm & fuzzy thoughts to you all!

• Love 13

@DangerousMinds I had kind of wondered about that too! Is PCOS something that would be caught during a yearly gyno visit? I go every year, but I'm not sure if that would be found. Might be another good idea to mention at the appointment!

@Catfin sooooo sorry about your dog!!! Those losses are so hard. Take care of yourself and treat yourself to something good!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Marigold said:

About the white cats, Doodlebug.  White cats with blue eyes are deaf???  Wow.  Now I'm even more concerned where these cats are coming from.  Someone is dumping them in the hundreds of acre preserved land behind my house and they are migrating over to my "cat house".  

Yep, I only know this because many years ago, my sister and her hubby found a cat that had been hit by a car.  It was white with blue eyes, and, when they took him to the vet, he told them that all white cats with blue eyes are deaf; it's a genetic thing and might've been the reason he was hit.  The cat lost an eye due to the accident, giving him a rather insouciant look.  They took Simon home with them where he lived a long and happy life indoors

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Marigold said:

@doodlebug

Wow.  Now I have to get close to these cats and determine eye color.  

The only thing I can say is that they are all fat and seem very happy and content.  No fighting and they all lounge around together.   :)

Please post pics. I love animals.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Marigold said:

I have to find out how to get pictures from my phone to this board.

I will try!  They are funny cats.  

After you take a picture, in the reply box hit “click to choose files”, then choose “photo library” go to the picture and click on it. I want to see pictures too!

EF204CFD-7EB0-4AF9-AA48-1F0943236092.jpeg

4C048A19-D488-42EE-9EC7-6D3D74CDF51C.jpeg

• Love 2

White cats are much more prone to sunburn/sun cancer - esp. on their ear tips and nose.  I've spent waaaay too much time working in vet offices.  But I have a friend that took in an abandoned 6 week old white kitten that was so small he fit in one hand.  She named him Wee Ian - he's 18 lbs and a moose.  And one of my pet sitting clients.  I taught him to sit along with the house dogs.  LOL.  

@Westiepeach I understand your whine.  11-3?  Are you freakin' kidding me?????  Hubby was born in Cleveland, he pretty  much got the vapors after that game and took to the bed.  LOL.  Sorry about your phone.  

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I’m getting my wisdom teeth out on Thursday.  For those who had it done what do I expect pain and care wise? Do I buy a lot of frozen peas to keep pressed against my face? This is my first dental anything. 

Thank you. 

I had all 3 of mine out - yea, they could never find the 4th and mine was brutal - my wisdom teeth all grew in sideways and I had to be put under an IV mix with both a doctor and a dentist because they had to cut into bone,  and then I got 2 hematomas.  My hubby had his out 20 years later and they gave him 800 mg ibuprofen and he was fine.  He needed a ride home but within like 2 days he was great.  Prep or buy easy, soft meals - like soup or pasta - something soft to eat, along with tons of beverages.  Have someone on call to transport you to and from and willing to get any Rx drugs you need.  Otherwise you should be good - grab books, netflix, or dvds for your recovery.  

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I’m getting my wisdom teeth out on Thursday.  For those who had it done what do I expect pain and care wise? Do I buy a lot of frozen peas to keep pressed against my face? This is my first dental anything. 

Thank you. 

I think it varies by individual. I had three out as a teenager and I don't remember a ton of pain (thanks to good happy pills) but I swelled up like a balloon. 

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

White cats are much more prone to sunburn/sun cancer - esp. on their ear tips and nose.  I've spent waaaay too much time working in vet offices.  But I have a friend that took in an abandoned 6 week old white kitten that was so small he fit in one hand.  She named him Wee Ian - he's 18 lbs and a moose.  And one of my pet sitting clients.  I taught him to sit along with the house dogs.  LOL.  

@Westiepeach I understand your whine.  11-3?  Are you freakin' kidding me?????  Hubby was born in Cleveland, he pretty  much got the vapors after that game and took to the bed.  LOL.  Sorry about your phone.  

If we are going to lose, go down in a blaze of glory. I guess I would rather we lose in a spectacular fashion than lose by one run. 

As far as my phone, I’ll get a new one. It’s just a pain to have to drive across town. Like I said, first world problems. Sometimes we just have to whine, right? And I am happy I can do my whining here!

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Thank you. 

It can depend on how many you are having out at once, and how deep they are (partially erupted, impacted, etc.) I had 4 out at once (all impacted, 2 in Bone) and the process really didn’t hurt! I had a lot of anesthesia and painkillers so I barely noticed it. I did need someone to take me home because I was so loopy, and it was helpful to have someone to tell me when I had blood on my chin postsurgery (I bled a little afterwards but not much and not long). I didn’t have to take any painkillers until the following morning.

So, here’s where my story takes an unfortunate turn. I had dry sockets afterwards, which happens in a minority of extractions but are more likely with impacted teeth. For me, it meant that I had dull aching pain in my jaw for several days. I can’t take most painkillers (bad opiate reaction) so I only had ibuprofen, which really didn’t cut it. It was really just bad luck of the draw, but I knew going in that I was at a higher risk of dry sockets. My husband, on the other hand, had all 4 out at once, was home and on painkillers for a couple of days, but was largely unaffected. I think he only took a couple of the Vicodin in total. Just be sure to reach out to your dentist if you think your pain is unusually bad or it doesn’t start feeling better within a couple of days. 

Definitely stock up on frozen peas (or buy an old fashioned ice bag on Amazon), and soft food. I was tired of sweet food by the second day - every one always recommends stuff like ice cream and jello - so I ate mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and lukewarm soup (smooth soups, like tomato and butternut squash). Even with the dry sockets I was eating regular food within a few days.  

Good luck! I was really nervous, but even with the dry sockets it wasn’t as bad (or gross!) as I expected.

• Love 6

Howdy everyone! I have no clue on how long I will be able to come on here since I am having blasted computer problems. This is the first time in the last two days I have been able to get on here. I hate it when you have things to do, and the blasted computer dies out at times. GRRR!!!

On the job seeking front, I am not happy at all with MT Voc Rehab Services. They finally got funding, but no staff at the Helena office to help clients on the waiting list. Seriously! Two years of this crap. I am now looking at Adult Education Services at the local community college, and a program called Montana United Indian Association for help. They seem to know what they are doing a lot better and made a lot better suggestions than the local job service made. It is frustrating enough to be sick with multiple health issues, but it should not be so hard to find a job. 

37 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Thank you. 

All four of mine were impacted. In a weird way I look back fondly on the experience because that’s the only time I was ever put under anesthesia and found the sensation interesting. There was very little pain; I used about a quarter of the drugs provided to me. I was given instructions on keeping an ice bag on my face for a certain amount of time and that was fine. There was some swelling but nothing crazy. 

The unfortunate bit happened when one of the stitches ripped and I had some blood run down into my stomach. Not fun, but it lasted less than a day. 

• Love 2

I always get a little nervous when I go to the dentist because I am afraid he will say we need to pull out my wisdom teeth because mine came in while I was still wearing my braces. I did not have enough space in my mouth for them before I got braces. I remembered when I had to get four teeth pulled out at once before I got my braces. Not fun at all. The last time I had a tooth pulled out I got a bad reaction to the pain med because it can affect people with thyroid disorders. Oh the joy!

40 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I think it varies by individual. I had three out as a teenager and I don't remember a ton of pain (thanks to good happy pills) but I swelled up like a balloon. 

Everyone is different. I had mine out at lunch time and went back to work (I have a high pain threshold.) 

• Love 6

my son's teeth were so impacted and infected that he literally ate steak the night he got his teeth pulled and felt no pain at all. i guess the pain from before was so bad that the after-pain was nothing to him.  now for me, i was 18, i have a very tiny mouth and i had all 4 done at once (i recommend that - otherwise i would have NEVER gone back to do the rest). my cheeks swelled and actually, no joke, touched my collar bones.  but everyone is different - just do what your doctor tells you for your specific needs and it will be fine. in cali, you have to have a driver with you for the whole appt; no being dropped off and gathered up later. 

• Love 4

@ginger90

Thank you!!!!   I will try to get the cats posing.  :)   I should've gotten a picture of the cats calmly sitting on a log with turkeys surrounding them.  I guess they are all friends?  

@galaxychaser 

I had my wisdom teeth out.  2 and then a month later, the other 2.

I did fine. No major swelling or pain. I got sicker from the pain medication (long story) but the actual extraction and healing was not terrible.   I just had a tooth pulled a few months ago, thank God it was a back one, and I did really really well.  no swelling. 

I hope it goes smoothly for you.  

• Love 3

I had all four of my wisdom teeth out at once in my late thirties. None of them were any kind of weird and I did not have trouble afterward, really. I agree with the advice to have someone available to take you home and pick up your drugs. Get some of those re-freezable ice packs. I had a tooth extracted 1.5 weeks ago and was really apprehensive about it but the recovery turned out to be not bad at all. Did not even have to use the prescription pain meds.

• Love 3

Regarding the wisdom teeth, my suggestions are:

- if you think you have dry socket, definitely reach out to the dentist. I ended up with one and when I went back to the dentist they packed the incision with ... clove oil infused gauze, I think, and it helped pretty much immediately.

- double check with your dentist, but I was told no straws. The suction makes it more likely you'll dislodge the clot and end up with dry socket.

I was basically fine until I tried to eat mushy mac and cheese the night after, and then the pain hit. Don't be afraid of the pain meds. Other than that, settle in for a couple of days and just relax. 

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, McManda said:

- double check with your dentist, but I was told no straws. The suction makes it more likely you'll dislodge the clot and end up with dry socket.

THIS!  crucial detail to remember.

ok kids, this grandma is heading to bed and the t.v.   ttyl. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Thank you. 

Upper or lower? I had my lower ones out in college, and they hurt big time!!! Used lots of frozen peas, swelled up like a balloon, cried the first time I tried to eat a scrambled egg, laid in bed for days, miserable. 

Upper ones came in last summer, and had to be removed, but it was a walk in the park! Very little pain, and easily managed with meds. I took a nap after surgery, and then was up walking and talking by that afternoon. Three days later, I went off meds for a day to drive to the beach, and finished up the meds during the vacation. I felt okay, and still had a good beach trip!

The upper ones are just way easier to remove! It's like pulling something out of wood vs. styrofoam. Good luck!!! You will be fine either way. For your sake, I hope you are getting the upper ones out! In either event, you will feel WAY better in a week!

• Love 2

I had my wisdom teeth out when I was 20/21 - and it really wasn't too bad.  I had huge ass horse teeth but luckily they weren't impacted, just starting to cause a lot of problems.  Oddly enough after I had those huge bastards out I didn't get a sinus headache or nasal anything for at least two or three years after, the top ones were putting a lot of pressure on the sinus cavities.  Until you really look at x-rays or anatomy it doesn't hit how closely packed your head bits are.  I really feel for anybody that has TMJ or any sort of jaw or dental problems, it's got to be agony.

I have a lot of good thoughts for all of us lately, and I've said it before - I think we need to seriously get this year over with.  My father probably has his prostate cancer back and then some, we have an appointment with his cancer doc next week and hopefully we will know more from scans and other tests he's had done recently.  I have to say, just the last few visits I've had to drag him to with some PT and these tests and the urology doc...I'm not sure how much fight he has in him for this round.  I'm just prematurely dreading some long lingering bout.  Maybe it's controllable, we'll know more next week but I'm not expecting great news.  

galaxychaser please feel free to PM me - even if you are just looking to vent.  I understand how you feel.  As much as I do have a loving relationship with my husband and kid (well sort of...she's had the blues herself lately) it's hard to be optimistic.  It's a wonder to to think, holy shit, I'm 50 something, how the fuck did I get here?  And why am I here?  What did I get accomplished?  Some days these kind of thoughts overwhelm me and I've had a couple of mild anxiety attacks.  One saving grace thought I'm had lately has been inspired by the Mr Rogers documentary (yeah, I go on about it enough, I think it should be required viewing)  and about how he thought that simple kindness to others was necessary.  So yes, I don't have a degree, I may not have had friendships that have endured, I may have been held down by other forces beyond my control so I haven't achieved like others - but if I can take the time to be kind to one person a day in a check out line, or say thank you more often, or even give my cart at Aldi to the next shopper without taking their quarter (they chain their carts) then maybe that's the one thing that that person will remember that day and even for that moment it makes them feel good.  That's a job well done.   

• Love 14

I had xrays done in 1/2015... all 4 teeth are at 90 degree angle. The doc wanted to remove them then... I freaked out and ran out never to return. 

Im in such pain now that I’m willing to do it. The dentist is across the street. I’m scared but I cannot take the pain anymore. 

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I had xrays done in 1/2015... all 4 teeth are at 90 degree angle. The doc wanted to remove them then... I freaked out and ran out never to return. 

Im in such pain now that I’m willing to do it. The dentist is across the street. I’m scared but I cannot take the pain anymore. 

If it makes you feel any better I had 22 fibroids cut out of my uterus less than a month ago.  It’s going to fell a lot better than that. I had my wisdom teeth pulled and it wasn’t fun but it wasn’t unbearable. I was able to return to work a few days later.  Just stay on top of your pain meds and you’ll be fine.  

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

When I had my wisdom teeth removed, the worst part was the anesthesia — I have no idea if general anesthesia is common for wisdom teeth removal, but that’s what I had. There was no gradual groggy wake-up like my husband described his experience with general — I was 100% asleep then 100% awake, and 100% pissed off, because the anesthesia messed with my sense of time in a way that didn’t seem possible, advisable, or fair. After that, my mouth was dry for a while, and everything tasted funny for a day or two, but nothing was really painful enough to require anything more than OTC drugs.  (I am not known for having a high pain tolerance.) 

I vowed to do everything in my power to avoid general anesthesia in the future, and I’ve succeeded for 25 years. 

It sounds like you probably put off dental work as much as I do. (I’d rather go to the doctor, get naked, and have every uncomfortable gynecological exam — other than a transvaginal ultrasound — than go to the dentist.) I’ve been in the can’t-take-the-pain-anymore sport with regards to a root canal. But there’s good news for us dental procrastinators — unlike a lot of medical procedures I’ve had, the dental work, when finally completed, makes the pain go away. Completely.

If you look at my grades from college, you can identify the semester I needed the root canal - there’s a noticeable dip. I couldn’t concentrate on anything, it was that bad. When I had the root canal, I took one painkiller pill once and didn’t need any more after that. No more pain. 

Sorry for writing a novel, but if you have a similar experience with the wisdom teeth (and I hope you do), it’s night and day pain-wise.  And 100% worth it.

((hugs)), if you’re the hugging kind. And, if not, I’ll offer a handshake or a high-five, like we offered the kids at summer camp who weren’t ready to hug the counselors but needed something comforting. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

OK, so I bought an Instant Pot.  Now what do I do with it?  I don't know where to start.  Are there recipes available somewhere?  I would like to do a roast, or chicken, or soup, or----something. Any suggestions?

Good for you! I have 3 Instant Pots. If you are on Facebook there are several good sites. There are a ton of recipe blogs with video instruction. Try this old gal. Try pressureluck.  Google what you want to cook and add instant pot. When I get a taste for something I look at a lot of the recipes to see what they have in common. Leave out what you don’t like and add what you do.   Remember it needs some thin liquid and more spices because they get diluted. PM me if you want. I love my pots 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Thank you. 

Ice, ice, ice! Plenty of fluids, don’t use a straw. Rinse, but try to avoid spitting.

Good luck!

• Love 3

I found this recipe for roasted chicken and it has never failed me. I love it so much because the gravy is so freaking awesome. I am going to try it with a cut up chicken instead of of an entire one just because it would be easier to maneuver but I don't know what the time would be. I would think it would be less time. Flipping that sucker is the pits. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Be sure to take your pain meds when you get home. Do NOT wait till you start feeling pain.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

OK, so I bought an Instant Pot.  Now what do I do with it?  I don't know where to start.  Are there recipes available somewhere?  I would like to do a roast, or chicken, or soup, or----something. Any suggestions?

If you go under the Food heading there’s a thread devoted to the Instant Pot. Lots of suggestions and recipes are there. 

@galaxychaser Good thoughts are being sent your way for the wisdom teeth removal. I’ve had all 4 of mine done (2 and 2) and it wasn’t too bad. The pain pills got me through any discomfort. They will give you a post-op instructions sheet. Read it all do what it says. If you do, then it shouldn’t be too bad. *hugs* 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

The NY Times has a good Guide to using the Instant Pot and lots of recipes. There is a Instant Pot thread here too. Also  The Kitchn  regularly has Instant Pot recipes.

• Love 2