Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E08: The Prom Equivalency

I thought this was definitely one of the better ones. Loved Penny and Leonard on the roof, it is so nice to see them act like they like each other.

Bernadette's shrill dog howling voice was stupid though. It was forced and not funny.

I aww'd so hard at Sheldon. And loved Emily and Raj's glee at the train wreck of Howard, Stuart and Jeanie.

• Love 3

Emily's kind of growing on me.  I like her with Raj.

The only thing missing from this episode was Amy's tiara.  I expected to see her wearing it.

Oh yes! Amy should have worn the tiara!

Loved this episode!

Penny and Leonard were very cute together. And Amy and Sheldon were even better!

• Love 6

I really enjoyed this episode. Leonard and Penny were adorable. It reminded me of when she went to his lab and realized how clever he was and got totally turned on. I wish the writers would give them more moments like these that show how much they love each other and how compatible they are rather than the bickering.

I still think that Amy can do better than Sheldon, but it was sweet how he told her that he loved her before she did.

The limo scene was funny. I really like Emily, Raj's girlfriend. She is so odd, just like him. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5

Liked this one very much.  I thought all the characters got their chance to shine and especially liked that Stuart was back as part of the gang.  Well sort of part of the gang :).  I can't tell if we're supposed to believe he and Debbie really are a couple (of some kind anyway) or if it's all down to jealousy on Howard's part.

I actually said awww out loud when Sheldon said he loved her too. I am also glad they are showing Penny and Leonard enjoying each other, they are supposed to be engaged for crying out loud.

I hope they don't go overboard with the whole Howard's mother thing... It was irritating when they had scenes with her and Howard, and it is just as irritating with Stuart and 'Debbie'. I guess I just don't like the character.

One of the better episodes!

• Love 4

I loved this episode.  Loved the call back to my favorite episode, The Adhesive Duck Deficiency.  Loved Emily's comment about how much she was enjoying the train wreck in the limo.  And I totally "Awwww!"-ed at Sheldon saying, "I love you, too."

• Love 1

I loved this episode!  Penny and Leonard were adorable!  For awhile there, the writers had lost Penny's brain.  I'm glad they're finding it again.  She's not stupid, and I love it when she and Leonard play off of one another and laugh.  And the same is true for Leonard's self-confidence.  He felt good about himself and his relationship tonight.  It was great to see him just having fun with Penny.

Amy and Sheldon were just one big awwwwwwwwww . . . .  Nice going writers!

I haven't made up my mind about Emily, but she and Raj made a cute Greek chorus.

I like Bernadette, but I wish they would bring her shrillness down a notch.  And the Howard/Stuart/Debbie stuff just bores me to tears.  

• Love 2

I don't think Stuart and Debbie are a couple - I think he's supposed to be stepping into the pseudo-incestuous son role that was Howard's. The humor is in Howard being disturbed by it but not realizing it was ten times creepier when he and his mom were doing it.

• Love 16

Loved the call back to my favorite episode, The Adhesive Duck Deficiency."

I love that episode! What was the callback? I missed it.

Anyway, really enjoyed this episode all around. Especially loved Leonard and Penny and Sheldon and Amy.

My only issue would be that Emily's fascination with creepy and bizarre, while fun here could easily be overdone.

• Love 1

I love that episode! What was the callback? I missed it..

That was the episode where the guys were camping and Howard first told the story of lodging his virginity to his cousin.

Also a callback to the episode with Howard and Bernadettes first date when the said how one lost it in a Camary and the other in a Corolla (sp?)......Nice that the writers remembered that and had Debbie mention they were in the car.

Edited by sigmaforce86

That was the episode where the guys were camping and Howard first told the story of lodging his virginity to his cousin.

Also a callback to the episode with Howard and Bernadettes first date when the said how one lost it in a Camary and the other in a Corolla (sp?)......Nice that the writers remembered that and had Debbie mention they were in the car.

Oh, right! I had remembered about the cousin but forgotten that was the episode it came from... Thanks!

Jeanie! Debbie's his mother's name...which is all KINDS of wrong in this context ;)
  • Love 4

A cute episode. It would have been nice to see the whole gang on the roof all spiffy.

But man, how quickly Sheldon treating Amy like utter shit for, what, 3+ seasons is forgotten. He says he loves her but literally everything he does says otherwise. Aww?

• Love 4

There's my show!!!! Welcome back TBBT, it's been way too long. I just love love loved this one. It was pretty damn near perfect. I may be in the minority, but I just adore Stuart and Debbie together. They (literally) complete each other. She's needy and insecure and all alone in the world now that Howie is married, and so is Stuart. And bonus, Stuart DOESN'T MIND taking care of Debbie, and he doesn't find her neverending neediness weird, cloying, or suffocating. Oh to be NEEDED on such a level!!!! He's in his element finally. I like them together, and I feel that eventually, Howard will see it, get it, and be okay with it. It's just...that's his job...that he doesn't really want anymore...but still....

Thumbs up writers. I loved this one. And yes, I Awwwed right out loud AND put my hand over my heart when Sheldon said I love you first!

As far as I'm concerned, THIS is season 8, episode ONE.

• Love 11

I'm just glad the episode didn't go where I thought it was going - Sheldon going from feeling like he was being pressured into sex into deciding he actually wants sex. I was actually happy with how they handled it. I mean, I'm still expecting for it to (unfortunately) come up in the future, because heaven forbid someone not want sex in TV land without being "fixed" in the end... but for now I'm glad. Still don't like Amy and Sheldon as a couple though.  The rest of the episode was pretty cute. Penny looked gorgeous.

• Love 1

Guess I'm in the minority because I didn't "aw" when Sheldon told Amy he loved her.

After all, abusers say "I love you" all the time.

I did like Leonard and Penny's scenes together.  I wish we would see more of these when they're obviously on the same wavelength.

Raj's girlfriend is seriously weird and I like her.

Edited by Pippin
  • Love 5

This was easily one of my favorite episodes ever!  It's always nice seeing the gang having fun together, especially when they're all dressed up.  I especially liked the scene with Amy & Sheldon because although she told him that she's always thinking about them sleeping together, that wasn't her goal on this particular occasion.  She just wanted to have a nice time with Sheldon. His response of "thanks for understanding" lets me know that he does acknowledge her feelings on the matter, but he's just not ready for that next step.  As long as Amy is okay with that, then I'm okay with their relationship. It's odd in many ways, but it works for them!  I don't see abuse on Sheldon's part.  He can be a jerk though, IMO.

I'm liking Emily too.  I'm glad that they didn't give her a thousand different hang-ups and insecurities, but rather that she's just peculiar in some ways.  I think she's a nice match for Raj.  I enjoyed watching Bernadette take up for Howard, "back off, this is his territory" in regards to his cousin & mom.  They make a cute couple.

• Love 5

I'll be in the minority.  I don't like the Amy-Sheldon coupling because it is so unbelievable to me.    At least Amy was more subdued...she did do a good job of communicating her longing, but her effort is wasted on a guy who is so distant from her even while he is trying to mouth the right words.  Much more honest to the characters was Sheldon ordering Amy out of his room because no girls are allowed there.  While I have liked Stuart in the past, his relationship with Debbie is creepy.  He is becoming both a substitute for a son and a lover and that's just an ick idea. Raj's girlfriend is getting a little too weird for me.  They threw in the idea of Raj dating his dog, which seems to ignore the fact that Raj has a girlfriend...their references seem leftovers of old tropes.  It was nice to see Penny and Leonard having a moment when they are in sync and can be playful together.  Probably not going to be my favorite episode possibly because I didn't identify with it:  I didn't go to my prom either but I've never been so obsessed with the idea that I would try to recreate it (yes, I know my personal experience has nothing to do with the quality of this episode). 

• Love 1

So often I find my opinion of an episode is the opposite of the general concensus, so I'm happy to see all the positive comments.  I really, really liked this episode.  

It was nice seeing all the couples.  Especially Raj with his girlfriend.  But Stuart too, even with the weirdness implied with Howard's mother.

Penny and Leonard were happy, not bickering.  Like you expect an engaged couple to act.

And Amy and Sheldon was sweet.  I felt something in my eye when Amy was about to say "I love you" and Sheldon said it first.   I preferred this romantic moment much more than the train kiss from last season.  If they can keep this type of writing up, I might be able to believe those 2 could eventually have a happy(ish) life together.

• Love 2

I liked this episode.  I am not a Penny/Leonard fan (too much has happened with them that I just can't see that they actually like each other) but I thought their scenes tonight were great. I got a glimpse of a real relationship tonight.

The Limo ride was awesome.

I liked the Sheldon and Amy stuff too.  I think it gets glossed over too much how everyone is putting pressure on Sheldon to do something (sex) he is not ready for and Amy tends to be a part of that. This time (in an open way) she acknowledged her desires and put Sheldon's fears to rest.  I know Sheldon can be a pain and a jerk about getting his way about things but sex should never be forced. Amy has decided to have a relationship with a difficult person and deal with his "crazy" and her patience got the "I love you".  

• Love 4

I loved this episode!  Along with everyone else, I squeed at the, "I love you too," and how happy it made Amy.

Most importantly, I love that Sheldon is being slowly nudged towards normal adult, romantic interaction.  It's hard for him but he is trying.  But this doesn't mean girls are allowed in his room.

• Love 5
I think it gets glossed over too much how everyone is putting pressure on Sheldon to do something (sex) he is not ready for and Amy tends to be a part of that. This time (in an open way) she acknowledged her desires and put Sheldon's fears to rest.  I know Sheldon can be a pain and a jerk about getting his way about things but sex should never be forced.

I was kind of expecting Amy to get angry with Leonard and Penny for teasing Sheldon so much about the tradition of putting out after prom that they caused a panic attack.  I know it's a comedy and all but I was getting kind of uncomfortable with their behavior.  Especially since they saw the results of their teasing last season with the D&D game.

• Love 5

I did like Leonard and Penny's scenes together.  I wish we would see more of these when they're obviously on the same wavelength.

It reminded me of the way they looked at each other in seasons 2 &3 (like at the end of The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis), when the actors were really together. They did look very happy and mostly normal. And Kaley looked smooooookkkkking hot. Impressive that she still fits into her high school prom dress-LOL.

Most importantly, I love that Sheldon is being slowly nudged towards normal adult, romantic interaction.  It's hard for him but he is trying.  But this doesn't mean girls are allowed in his room.

Agree and as happens a few times every season, reminds us that Sheldon is not a totally selfish and self-centered character. It was like when he told Penny not to hurt his friend-he has it in him, but the other (worse) traits often wipe out the good parts.

• Love 3

The Amy/Sheldon "I love you" scene was remarkably emotional for a sitcom... I found myself really hoping that Amy's incredible patience will someday be rewarded with the kind of relationship she wants, after being amazed that Sheldon could overcome his fears enough to say those magic words. Wonderfully done, Mayim and Jim.

I find the Stuart/Debbie thing funny in the context of the show. Stepping outside the sitcom world for a moment, it's not beyond what could happen when two lonely, needy people discover that they can in some way meet each other's needs, the generation gap notwithstanding.

And yes, the Penny/Leonard scene on the roof was really sweet. Especially since she didn't wear heels.

Edited by tominboston
  • Love 6

The Amy/Sheldon "I love you" scene was remarkably emotional for a sitcom... I found myself really hoping that Amy's incredible patience will someday be rewarded with the kind of relationship she wants, after being amazed that Sheldon could overcome his fears enough to say those magic words. Wonderfully done, Mayim and Jim.

I find the Stuart/Debbie thing funny in the context of the show. Stepping outside the sitcom world for a moment, it's not beyond what could happen when two lonely, needy people discover that they can in some way meet each other's needs, the generation gap notwithstanding.

And yes, the Penny/Leonard scene on the roof was really sweet. Especially since she didn't wear heels.

I agree.  This is TV world.  We are allowed to think things are funny or give passes to certain actions or behaviors that in the real world are either really sad, immoral, illegal, etc. 

• Love 2

I thought this was a pretty good ep.

I loved seeing Leonard and Penny together at the prom, kidding each other and just being comfortable and nice.

I literally teared up when Sheldon said, "I love you, too." And Amy's reaction was touching and wonderful. I like her when she's funny and when she's serious. I loved how kind and gentle she was with him as she saw how upset he was. I cracked up when she said, "Tonight I just wanted to have a nice time with you. Maybe dance with someone who had arms." And earlier I liked how she started to sway after she told Penny & Bernadette about dancing with the mop.

I'm disappointed with the Stuart/Debbie storyline. I really liked when he became her home health aide and then companion, but of course the show has to make it look weird. That's the type of humor TBBT uses. Howard's overreaction is just too much for me. I understand it. It makes sense with the character. But … I don't know. I guess I just don't find it funny.

I liked Sheldon's bit about gibbons being the only ape that was not "great." I also liked his little spiel: "No. I had a date with a proper education. Instead of a tuxedo, I dressed myself in good habits. Instead of spiked punch, I enjoyed the intoxicating flavor of knowledge. Instead of dancing in a gym, I shook my booty to the seductive rhythms of AP calculus."

And I liked his idea of dealing with awkward situations by pretending to be an alien pretending to be a human. Also, the word flurmen is funny.

I got a kick out of hearing the dog howl after Bernadette spoke in a high(er) voice.

I wish a different actress was playing Emily. She's not working for me.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 2

Sometimes I wonder if someone from BBT is monitoring fan boards like this one.  This season we've gotten at least a couple of things that I know people have wanted to happen: Penny and Leonard being more couple-ish; Penny finding her feet in a new career; Sheldon maturing in his relationship with Amy; more science talk; more geek talk; Stuart getting at least a little happy; Bernadette finally having an episode where she's not angry at Howard.  There must be more.  I do feel like they've stalled themselves from going down that slippery slope to unwatchable - am just hoping they can keep this standard up!

• Love 3
I haven't made up my mind about Emily, but she and Raj made a cute Greek chorus.

When she said she loved Sally from Nightmare before Christmas because 'she has scars and can remove body parts and sew them back on'(?) I decided I like her a lot. 

I'm disappointed with the Stuart/Debbie storyline. I really liked when he became her home health aide and then companion, but of course the show has to make it look weird.

I agree. Stuart being a good home health aid and support for Debbie was good for both of them. It gave Stuart some much needed confidence boosting. Stuart being an ersatz Howard is not good.  

• Love 3

Here's the thing with Sheldon. He often says and does things because he thinks it is expected of him (for example:  making hot tea when someone is upset).  Maybe he really means he says he loves Amy, but it is equally probable that he says he loves her because he is expected to.  He has grown to depend on Amy and so he gives her a little nibble of what she wants, but is Sheldon the best she can do?  And as an old single woman, I don't feel being single is a worse choice than being with the wrong person and trying to make it work with someone who doesn't really care.  This isn't the real world, obviously, but I wish the writers were not such cowards that they feel compelled to pair everyone up like Noah's ark.  In what universe is Sheldon lover material much less husband material?  I like Sheldon when he is not trying to conform to stereotypes, but I'm not moved to tears by his attempts to conform.  Guess I'm cold-hearted. 

• Love 8

Best episode so far this season.  I liked that Sheldon was genuinely and surprisingly open about going to the prom; it wasn't until the pressure from everyone else about the sex that he started to get nervous.  For all his other many faults, I don't think his reluctance to have sex is such a bad thing.  The media always makes a big deal about girls getting pressured for sex but since everyone automatically assumes guys are more open to it, a guy being reluctant is seen as weird.  Not to mention Sheldon's other OCD tendencies complicates things more.

But he was really trying this time, and him saying "I love you too" before Amy gets a chance to actually say it was very sweet.

• Love 5

...I literally teared up when Sheldon said, "I love you, too."...

I actually burst into tears, which I can't recall ever doing before when watching a show. Long story, longer life. I missed prom because my boyfriend was still in Vietnam.

Guess I'm in the minority because I didn't "aw" when Sheldon told Amy he loved her.

After all, abusers say "I love you" all the time....

I'm not sure if he's actually "an abuser," but I can relate to your reaction too.
  • Love 1

Amy was trying so hard to not pressure Sheldon and her panic attack when he said "I love you" first was so cute.

I think it was awesome that Sheldon was able to see where she was going and respond. He's usually unbelievably dumb about such things for the sake of a joke.

The only thing missing from this episode was Amy's tiara.  I expected to see her wearing it.

It wouldn't have been appropriate until she was declared Prom Queen, which she probably could have prevailed on the others to do if she hadn't gotten sidetracked.

I forgot that I also laughed when Penny said something about her clothes and Amy said "they're folded..."

I did aww at Sheldon's ILY, but I also miss the apathetic Sheldon from before who said things like Howard and Raj were clever, in that they took advantage of Sheldon's complete lack of interest in Howard and Raj spying on Leonard and Penny.

I just want to know what the heck is going on with Mayim Bialik, because I started to notice last season the way she's playing Amy has changed drastically. Her entire delivery has morphed from a clipped, almost robotic way of speaking to a listless, tired way of speaking, like she's now Debbie Downer. Is this a choice she made, or did the show ask her to change the way she was speaking, or does she not even realize it? It doesn't even have anything to do with Sheldon, she's the same when she's at work or in scenes with Penny and Bernadette. She sounds depressed all the time.

This is not the same Sheldon and Amy who perpetrated a ruse by spreading a rumor among their social circle they had slept together. Neither expressed any interest in coitus at the time. I realize people can change, but for Sheldon to suddenly panic because he's led to believe he'll be expected to have sex is a real stretch. Sheldon does not react to expectations of him.

• Love 3

I realize people can change, but for Sheldon to suddenly panic because he's led to believe he'll be expected to have sex is a real stretch. Sheldon does not react to expectations of him.

I think our little Sheldon, since the kiss and also Leonard's engagement, is having feelings he's struggling with.   He knows that people in long term relationships, especially people in love, engage in coitus and the reality of that happening for him is closer than ever before.  Something he thought he'd never want or do is something that's now being considered.

• Love 4
I also liked his little spiel: "No. I had a date with a proper education. Instead of a tuxedo, I dressed myself in good habits. Instead of spiked punch, I enjoyed the intoxicating flavor of knowledge. Instead of dancing in a gym, I shook my booty to the seductive rhythms of AP calculus."

I was kind of confused by this because Sheldon graduated from high school when he was 11.  They should have worked in a line about the prom being past his bedtime or something.

• Love 1

After all, abusers say "I love you" all the time....

I don't think by even the remotest stretch of the definition can Sheldon and Amy's relationship be described as abusive! 

• Love 10

That was my first thought! Girlfriend has got to get some use out of it!

I also had a teary eyed moment with Sheldon and Amy. IMHO Amy is using a calm voice with Sheldon as not to freak him out. 

I like the whole Stuart and Debbie thing. . . Stuart for once isn't all depressed and starving. . . and it's pretty funny that Howard is protesting what a weird relationship they have (I don't see it as romantic, maybe two lonely people hanging out that enjoy each other's company in a weird way)

Count me in on loving Weird Emily and her tattoo!

• Love 1

I got a totally different take from this episode. I fell in love with the show after it had already been on about four seasons, then burned myself out on reruns. I felt the overwhelming sense that this show is running on fumes, it doesn't seem like a show that's already been renewed for three more seasons. It seems like a show that is in its last season. I feel like most of the cast has already checked out, specifically Johnny and Kaley. The only actors who are making it work seem to be Mayim and Jim.

I don't think by even the remotest stretch of the definition can Sheldon and Amy's relationship be described as abusive!

It may not be abusive but it is all kinds of unhealthy and fucked-up.

It's fairly astounding how much of a crowd-pleaser that "I love you" was. This after years of Sheldon treating Amy like an annoying servant who is only there to cater to his whims. I guess a meaningless "I love you" can erase anything.

• Love 4

I like the whole Stuart and Debbie thing. . . Stuart for once isn't all depressed and starving. . . and it's pretty funny that Howard is protesting what a weird relationship they have (I don't see it as romantic, maybe two lonely people hanging out that enjoy each other's company in a weird way)

I like the Stuart/Debbie thing too, whatever it is. Same as you I'm happy to see Stuart be happy for once, almost gleeful sometimes, and I'm also kind of happy to see Howard unhappy. Howard, like the other guys, often wants to have his cake and eat it too. He's happy to not be living with his mother any more, but doesn't want Stuart there in his stead. This even after it became clear to him that neither he nor Bernadette wanted anything to do with care-taking his mother. That's how the Stuart/Debbie (Stubbie?) thing got started. They hired him to take care of Howard's mother because they didn't want to. That's fine, but if Stuart and Debbie become close (in whatever fashion) because they're lonely and need the companionship, I have no problem with it. And find it funny for all the reasons others have mentioned.

• Love 5

I just want to know what the heck is going on with Mayim Bialik, because I started to notice last season the way she's playing Amy has changed drastically. Her entire delivery has morphed from a clipped, almost robotic way of speaking to a listless, tired way of speaking, like she's now Debbie Downer. Is this a choice she made, or did the show ask her to change the way she was speaking, or does she not even realize it? It doesn't even have anything to do with Sheldon, she's the same when she's at work or in scenes with Penny and Bernadette. She sounds depressed all the time.

Same here.  I think I started to notice it not long after her car accident.  Not saying there's a connection there, just that's the time frame I associate it with.