Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E08: The Prom Equivalency

My complaint about Sheldon and Amy is the same as with Leonard and Penny. I wish they would show us via actions how much they care for each other more rather than the fans, and those in the relationships, having to be told they care for each other for confirmation.

It was a decent episode though.

• Love 2

Same here.  I think I started to notice it not long after her car accident.  Not saying there's a connection there, just that's the time frame I associate it with.

Didn't her marriage end about the same time?

I prefer to believe, though, that Mayim's a more gifted actress than that and that this is more of a choice for this episode, in particular...it was like she was trying not to spook Sheldon (We use the line, "You don't hunt, do you..." around here a lot in this context.)

After all, she was pretty frisky in the Vegas episode...

• Love 2

I just want to know what the heck is going on with Mayim Bialik, because I started to notice last season the way she's playing Amy has changed drastically. Her entire delivery has morphed from a clipped, almost robotic way of speaking to a listless, tired way of speaking, like she's now Debbie Downer. Is this a choice she made, or did the show ask her to change the way she was speaking, or does she not even realize it? It doesn't even have anything to do with Sheldon, she's the same when she's at work or in scenes with Penny and Bernadette. She sounds depressed all the time.

This is not the same Sheldon and Amy who perpetrated a ruse by spreading a rumor among their social circle they had slept together. Neither expressed any interest in coitus at the time. I realize people can change, but for Sheldon to suddenly panic because he's led to believe he'll be expected to have sex is a real stretch. Sheldon does not react to expectations of him.

Ah, my dear iMonrey, either you've never pined away for someone's physical affection for years, or it was so painful that you have forgotten how it feels. Although Mayim may be tapping in to some of her real life experiences in her portrayal of Amy, I agree with Oldernowiser that Mayim is too good to be doing it unconsciously.

So what does it say about me that when Sheldon was on his bed with his legs elevated, I thought he was trying to get blood out of his nether regions from seeing Amy looking so pretty? Yeah, that's what I thought...

Has anyone seen the movie Bernie? Stuart and Debbie's relationship makes me think of that. Non-sexual but otherwise rather intimate, "weird" because of the age gap, how she funds him and expects him to be at her beck and call. Hopefully Debbie doesn't chew excessively.

Anyway, I do like the Stubie relationship (Stubbie looks like it should be read Stuh-bee, not Stoo-bee) just for the irony of how wrong Howard thinks it is. And I also like that it's given Stuart a little bit of swagger back, even if he loses said swagger when Debbie's says Heel.

• Love 2

My complaint about Sheldon and Amy is the same as with Leonard and Penny. I wish they would show us via actions how much they care for each other more rather than the fans, and those in the relationships, having to be told they care for each other for confirmation.

I understand what you're saying, but Sheldon has had his moments of showing affection for Amy.  He started holding her hand (granted, at her request); took care of her when she was sick; listed her as his emergency contact with the university; defended & consoled her when "Penny & Bernadette went shopping for some wedding dress nonsense without her;"  went to check on her when he couldn't reach her by computer or phone; kissed her during the train ride; made her picture one of his screen savers.  Those are just a few that I can remember.  

It's definitely a slow-go with Sheldon in this area, but at least there are moments like these, and when they do happen, they're very special.  Hopefully Sheldon will have more of these kinds of moments now that he realizes he loves Amy, and it's not a brain parasite!

I liked the scene with Penny & Leonard when they were on the rooftop alone.  The interaction between them was very sweet and genuine.  (ETA: Love the name "Stubbie!") 

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 5

Sheldon reminds me sometimes of Data from STtNG.  Data once described his definition of friendship as:  "As I experience certain sensory input patterns my mental pathways become accustomed to them. The inputs eventually are anticipated and even 'missed' when absent."

Obviously Sheldon isn't an android, and he's shown plenty of other feelings (I started to really hate the way he would use his 'otherness' to manipulate or insult his friends), but he does display a 'linear' style of thinking.

Maybe Amy's experiment from the past is paying off.

From Wikipedia:

In the episode "The Launch Acceleration", Amy says she would like to do an experiment using her neurobiology bag of tricks to increase Sheldon's feelings toward her. Sheldon is skeptical, but goes with it. Amy says she would like to put on some romantic dinner music, and ends up putting on the Super Mario Bros. theme song. Sheldon catches on, and calls Amy out on the fact that she is trying to engage his feelings of the happiest times of his life as he starts to hum along. This is further reinforced when she offers Sheldon his favorite drink, Strawberry Quik. She also prepared "spaghetti with little pieces of hot dog cut up" for dinner, which is Sheldon's favorite since his mother used to make it for him. Sheldon is thrilled, and says they should do this more often – instantly realizing he has been caught in Amy's "trap" as Amy stands next to him with a big smile. At the end of the episode, they were playing doctor "Star Trek style" (Amy dressed in Star Trek attire). Amy's actions seem to work on Sheldon, who is not happy about it but makes no attempt to stop her. In the final fifth season episode "The Countdown Reflection", Sheldon takes Amy's hand as Howard is launched into space. Amy glances over at him looking quite surprised.
  • Love 1

Well, despite my best efforts I was scorned by the CBS site. Mostly I read part of their "privacy policy" which is just hilarious because it's basically a "Your world is now ours, bitch," policy and got spooked and deleted their app, which according to the reviews, everyone despises anyway.

So I couldn't get the ep to play from the site...so I paid $1.99 for it on Amazon and I'm okay with that for this one. (Why yes, I am that cheap, thank you.) It was really sweet, although the continued Karen Walkerfication of Bernadette's voice is making her almost impossible to understand and it's a shame, because I really liked Bernadette's character the first several seasons.

Hey, if Amy's content to wait for crumbs, so be it. That was pretty sweet, although the whole will he or won't he thing is boxing the writers into an inevitable end game a la How I Met Your Mother.

If Raj has any skin conditions, he better sleep with one eye open lest his new girlfriend decide to spend some sleepless night getting creative with a scalpel. She's a little creepy.

Stubbie (pure genius) doesn't bother me. After all, Debbie's what, in her 50s and Stuart's in his early 40s? Not that big a difference (if the genders were reversed no one would think twice, right?) They make each other happy. Why not? Howard needs to STFU.

Loved Leonard and Penny in this one...it's that dynamic that makes them make sense, where they tease each other and just enjoy how funny and quick the other one is. We haven't seen all that much of it in the last few seasons, so it's nice to see it again.

• Love 2

I think it was awesome that Sheldon was able to see where she was going and respond. He's usually unbelievably dumb about such things for the sake of a joke.

I like the ILY moment, not only because it was sweet and romantic, but because the writers surprised me.  I fully expected Sheldon to interrupt Amy and say something like, "I know what you mean, I was hoping to ride in a limo too, they are my second most favorite modes of transportation."

• Love 4

Stubbie (pure genius) doesn't bother me. After all, Debbie's what, in her 50s and Stuart's in his early 40s?

I remember speculating once over at TWOP that Howard's mother was probably somewhere in her 50s (at least when the series started) based on Howard's being 27ish.  I was annoyed IIRC because Howard and Bernadette kept talking about the inevitability of his mother's death and made it sound like she was an elderly woman just waiting for that heart attack to take her away.  Anyway some people posted saying they had assumed she actually must be fairly elderly based on the way Howard and the others always talked about her and that perhaps Howard had been a "change of life" baby and that would put Debbie at pushing 70 when the series started.

I don't think they ever really say but I stand by my impression that Debbie is late middle age (at most) and just not very healthy.  So, yeah, long winded way of saying I agree with you, that's not a huge age difference and wouldn't even be talked about if the gender's were reversed.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 1

Stuart is in his 30s according to the first episode this season (Raj was surprised because he thought Stuart was 45). I think I'm Howard's age, and my parents are mid 60s, so that's where I imagine Debbie is.

So it is a generation gap.

And I for one think it's equally weird, no matter which gender pairing it is. I accept them, in a to each their own kind of way, but don't see myself being part of one either way.

I understand what you're saying, but Sheldon has had his moments of showing affection for Amy.  He started holding her hand (granted, at her request); took care of her when she was sick; listed her as his emergency contact with the university; defended & consoled her when "Penny & Bernadette went shopping for some wedding dress nonsense without her;"  went to check on her when he couldn't reach her by computer or phone; kissed her during the train ride; made her picture one of his screen savers.  Those are just a few that I can remember.  

It's definitely a slow-go with Sheldon in this area, but at least there are moments like these, and when they do happen, they're very special.  Hopefully Sheldon will have more of these kinds of moments now that he realizes he loves Amy, and it's not a brain parasite!

I liked the scene with Penny & Leonard when they were on the rooftop alone.  The interaction between them was very sweet and genuine.  (ETA: Love the name "Stubbie!")

Many of those things you describe are what most would do for any friend, though, not necessarily a girlfriend. I don't doubt a friendship between Sheldon and Amy. I also don't doubt a friendship between Leonard and Penny. Its showing they have a deeper relationship beyond a friendship that hasn't been presented well, IMO.

ANd there is the time factor as well. Its been several years they are together. Outside the Duggar family (in which case they would have been married after 6 months), its the slowest moving relationship in history

Outside the Duggar family (in which case they would have been married after 6 months), its the slowest moving relationship in history

While that's undeniably true I think this also speaks to the idea that having main characters marry or, even worse, have a child, can often be the death knell for a show.  That element of "will they or won't they" apparently keeps people tuning in more than "we're set for happily ever after" would.  Of course Sheldon is taking the will he or won't he to the most extreme point I've ever seen on a TV show!

That element of "will they or won't they" apparently keeps people tuning in more than "we're set for happily ever after" would

I didn't watch Friends when it originally aired, but I've watched a few since then, and it's that "will they or won't they" plot  (Ross & Rachel)  that I absolutely hate! With Sheldon and Amy, it's enough for me that they're developing a relationship.  I'm not invested in them just to see them finally have sex.  I like their quirky relationship as it is, but when and if  the time comes that they do have sex, well, that's just fine to.  YMMV. 

I like how far Sheldon has come in his relationship with his circle of friends and with Amy. If it wasn't for Leonard, he'd probably be a very isolated person.  He didn't think he needed friends, but he gradually accepted Howard, Raj and Penny.  They opened up his eyes to a whole new dynamic with people!  Sheldon's Mom owes Leonard a huge thank you for his patience and friendship with Sheldon.  I've really enjoyed watching the whole gang go through the ups and downs of everyday life.  They're all truly there for each other.  This show always brightens my day.

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 7
So what does it say about me that when Sheldon was on his bed with his legs elevated, I thought he was trying to get blood out of his nether regions from seeing Amy looking so pretty? Yeah, that's what I thought...

Right there with you.  Made me a little uncomfortable too...I like my Sheldon without any nether region.  Then again, if I were Amy I would have split after the second date to find a man less clueless.

Sheldon's Mom owes Leonard a huge thank you for his patience and friendship with Sheldon.

I like to think it was healing for Leonard too.  Leonard gets to outlive the "needy baby, greedy baby" label his mother put on him.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 4

So what does it say about me that when Sheldon was on his bed with his legs elevated, I thought he was trying to get blood out of his nether regions from seeing Amy looking so pretty?

After reading this, I audibly said, "Ew." I also said "Ew" when Sheldon mentioned the idea of himself "copulating" with Amy. Everything about Sheldon being sexual just grosses me out completely. I guess it's a testament to JP's skills. He portrays such a cold, clinical, childlike, alien-like character so thoroughly that even the mere notion of him having sex is squicky. (And I don't think JP is unattractive, far from it, so it's definitely Sheldon.) I really, really, really hope they never go there with this terrible pairing but it's Chuck Lorre and more importantly it's network TV so they most likely will. Ew.

• Love 4
Didn't Sheldon say that Soccermom 09 said to lie down and elevate the legs during a panic attack? I made the assumption that that's what he was doing not draining the blood from his nethers.

You are correct.  Sadly, we saw the visual before Sheldon said that line so my mind jumped ahead of the plot. 

• Love 2

Well, dammit. I thought Amy was finally going to get some penetration.

Agree that Penny looked hot.

Not crazy about the Emily character, but good that Raj has a date.

Edited by ari333

I feel so alone. I seem to be the only one who didn't like the episode that much. It had some good moments, like the I love you too from Sheldon and I thought the limo ride was funny. I still don't see Penny and Leonard being a couple so there were no Awww moments there for me.

I stopped liking Emily when she said she was turned on by movies like House of 1,000 Corpses. That's just super creepy to me.

I don't see Stubbie as anything sexual so I've been ok with it. Especially since Stuart doesn't seem like such a loser anymore. But I didn't like how Stuart went running when Debbie called.

• Love 2

I feel so alone. I seem to be the only one who didn't like the episode that much. It had some good moments, like the I love you too from Sheldon and I thought the limo ride was funny. I still don't see Penny and Leonard being a couple so there were no Awww moments there for me.

I stopped liking Emily when she said she was turned on by movies like House of 1,000 Corpses. That's just super creepy to me.

I don't see Stubbie as anything sexual so I've been ok with it. Especially since Stuart doesn't seem like such a loser anymore. But I didn't like how Stuart went running when Debbie called.

You're not alone in all that.

I'm a pushover in that I'm just glad they're not reruns, but I wasn't thrilled with this eppy as in LOLs.

I guess I bitch about everyone Raj has as a potential gf. I just hated that first one who climbed  out of bathroom windows (Lucy?) . And I'm not loving this one. IDK what I want. He needs someone. Maybe Danica what's her name from Wonder Years.

I really enjoy Stewart.

• Love 3

This didn't bother me so much.  Just keep in mind that he has a home and a job because of Debbie, and she is going to be his financial backer for the new comic book store.  I can't blame him for jumping when she calls.

• Love 1

I felt the overwhelming sense that this show is running on fumes, it doesn't seem like a show that's already been renewed for three more seasons. It seems like a show that is in its last season. I feel like most of the cast has already checked out, specifically Johnny and Kaley.

Yes! Especially Kaley. I really noticed last season when she got engaged in real life. She stopped highlighting her hair allowing the roots to go dark and her personality lost its sparkle then, also. Her expression since then looks bored and annoyed like she is just marking time until her contract is up. (I read where she is the highest paid on the show. Maybe she knows she doesn't have to put out much effort now 'cause they aren't going to fire her.) Leonard's character is too whiny and the two of them are ridiculous together, having no chemistry whatsoever. Surely by now he should feel some confidence in their relationship, considering they are engaged. Writers: Give Leonard some masculine charisma and confidence for a change and make Penny show some actual interest and attraction. I'm sick of her bored behavior.

It may not be abusive but it is all kinds of unhealthy and fucked-up.

It's fairly astounding how much of a crowd-pleaser that "I love you" was. This after years of Sheldon treating Amy like an annoying servant who is only there to cater to his whims. I guess a meaningless "I love you" can erase anything.

I agree with this. Sheldon treats Amy horribly and Amy is so desperate she is willing to be a doormat rather than break up. One "I love you" is not anywhere near enough. Give him an ultimatum and then leave him Amy. You can do better.

Also, Bernadette has become so controlling and crazy-eyed. Worse than Howard's mother.

• Love 4
It may not be abusive but it is all kinds of unhealthy and fucked-up.

It's fairly astounding how much of a crowd-pleaser that "I love you" was. This after years of Sheldon treating Amy like an annoying servant who is only there to cater to his whims. I guess a meaningless "I love you" can erase anything.

I agree with this. Sheldon treats Amy horribly and Amy is so desperate she is willing to be a doormat rather than break up. One "I love you" is not anywhere near enough. Give him an ultimatum and then leave him Amy. You can do better.

Thanks, CleoCaesar, I knew you'd understand.  And you, too, Casually Observant. 

I used the word "abuser" quite deliberately because I wanted to emphasize how one-sided the relationship is and how badly Amy fares.  I don't find her excitement when Sheldon grudgingly gives her a crumb or two funny or "aw"-worthy.  Mind you, I find the way all the female characters are portrayed to be generally cringe-worthy.

As for Stuart and Debbie, I have no problems with the relationship, even if it goes romantic.  Maybe this is because in RL, I knew someone who married his mother's best friend.  There was a 20+ age difference (she had a son nearly his age) and it was generally agreed that he had married well (she was a great lady).  So that kind of thing does not tend to bother me at all.  In fact, I'd like to see more of it on the tube.  As other posters have pointed out, nary a brow would be raised if the genders were reversed.

Edited by Pippin
  • Love 4

Writers: Give Leonard some masculine charisma and confidence for a change and make Penny show some actual interest and attraction.

When it comes to what kind of guy she was hoping to wind up with, Leonard is as much him as pharmaceutical sales is to her dream for a career. In both cases she has recognized reality, but it's going to take a while to really appreciate what she has.

• Love 2

Other than Emily enjoying the trainwrecks that were Howard and Stuart, I didn't like this episode.

Yes, it was nice to see Penny and Leonard having a good time together without constantly making digs at each other and bringing out each other's insecurities. If the writers had more pleasant moments between them, they might be more believable as a couple. On the other hand, the only reasons Leonard mentioned for being so happy with Penny had to do with her appearance. He was happy because he was "getting to dance with the prettiest girl at prom". He didn't say anything about enjoying spending time with her or her personality. So it just confirms that the basis of that relationship is Leonard liking her for her appearance. Penny was basically saying things about how it was surprising that they got together. There is no substance there. I think it's pretty gross. Why is it so difficult for these writers to write characters with have a mature, dimensional relationship? I guess because then it's not "funny"?

When I first heard of this show, I thought "Great! This will show how nerds are cool too and maybe debunk some the nerdy stereotypes". Instead, it has really played into all the stereotypes for laughs. That's fine, but I think they could have the characters and their world more dimensional than that. All the stuff with Leonard and Penny, including the scenes from this episode which were some of the most "pleasant" ones the show has ever had, really just reinforce the idea that underneath the nerdy exterior all nerds just want a hot girlfriend, that they'll always feel inferior to other people based on their own appearances and that attractive people still rule their social circles. I find all of this disappointing.

The Amy and Sheldon moment was unexpected and sweet, but almost a little too sappy for me. I think they're slowly moving Amy and Sheldon towards having a "normal" heterosexual relationship (although Amy and Sheldon will never really be considered a "normal" couple). I think that's chickening out on the writers' and network's part. It would have been unique and way more interesting to keep them as this couple of two asexuals, who have a unique relationship that's not sexual, but where they enjoy spending time together. This is what it seemed they were going for when they first introduced Amy. We have enough "typical" heterosexual couples on TV. 

Edited by wudpixie
  • Love 4

It would have been unique and way more interesting to keep them as this couple of two asexuals, who have a unique relationship that's not sexual, but where they enjoy spending time together.

That wouldn't bring forth the line of intellectually superior benign overlords Sheldon mentioned in The Robotic Manipulation. When things get to that point of producing them, I fully expect there to be a coital amendment to the relationship agreement.

This didn't bother me so much.  Just keep in mind that he has a home and a job because of Debbie, and she is going to be his financial backer for the new comic book store.  I can't blame him for jumping when she calls.

i didn't word my post correctly. I didn't like how Debbie bothered Stuart during the prom and wanted him to go rushing home. I suppose if I was in Stuart's position I'd rush off too.

I usually don't analyze Shamy too much because it would take years but some of the posts got me thinking. I remembered when Amy and Penny were talking after Sheldon had failed to go with her to her aunt's birthday party. She said not only was he her first boyfriend but he was also the best boyfriend. I suppose she could still think that even with all his faults. Personally I prefer the Sheldon and Amy from the beginning of the relationship.

• Love 1

Sheldon and Amy have never bothered me as a couple, they make me laugh and ultimately they will do whatever the writers decide they want them to do in any given episode so I'm not about to get too invested in worrying about them.  Also despite them being characters on a TV show there relationship reminds me in many ways of the relationships of several people I know,  Not the exact nature of the relationship! but the "what keeps this couple together" side of things.  Hmm, for that matter that's probably why I actually like Penny and Leonard together, I've seen so many odd couples that, for whatever reasons, actually work, that I am no longer surprised at what makes for a good relationship anymore,

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 5

I used the word "abuser" quite deliberately because I wanted to emphasize how one-sided the relationship is and how badly Amy fares.

Amy recognizes Sheldon's limitations.  It frustrates her from time to time.  But she also understands who he is and that he indeed is trying, and beyond trying to move forward to a more sexual relationship at a pace that frustrates her, they are quite compatible.  Nothing abusive about that. 

• Love 6

Thanks for the link, buffynut.  Hearing what Mayim thinks of/as Amy is interesting.  I liked this quote in particular from the article:

She lets him find the feelings in his own time.

She respects him and understands him like no one else does.  Most women would have given up long ago, but not Amy.  She's going to wait until he realizes how he feels and wants to express it.  Shamy has a real thing.

And I'm glad Amy got to have pretty hair!

• Love 4

As someone who HATES the Shamy, and is totally squicked out by the thought of them doing anything physical, I was stunned to find myself "awwww"-ing at Sheldon's ILY2 delaration.  I think it's because I feel so much sympathy for Amy that I just want her to get what she wants for once.  Even though I think Sheldon is an ass and she can do better.  He's what she wants, for some reason that escapes me, so I want him for her.

On the other hand, the only reasons Leonard mentioned for being so happy with Penny had to do with her appearance. He was happy because he was "getting to dance with the prettiest girl at prom". He didn't say anything about enjoying spending time with her or her personality. So it just confirms that the basis of that relationship is Leonard liking her for her appearance. 

I didn't see it that way, actually.  I think it's pretty common for a man to tell his date that she's beautiful, especially when it's a special date like "prom".  After all, Amy told Sheldon he looked nice, and clearly expected Sheldon to tell her that she looked pretty.  Is their relationship based on appearance as well?

I thought the Penny and Leonard moments were really sweet.  Sure, he said she was the prettiest girl there, but they both also said they wished no one else was coming.  That's not something you say if you're just looking at the other person like a trophy, IMO.  And I liked the little tongue-in-cheek references to things that are no longer true, like that she would have never gone out with him and he would have never bothered to ask her.  They don't try to pretend it wasn't true at one time, but they simply acknowledge it, chuckle, and move on.  The fact that they can laugh about it shows me that they both feel secure in their relationship.  I think it's endearing, but I can't really explain it.

Raj and Emily as the Greek chorus in the limo were made of win.  She's weird, but I like her.  (I don't want her to be a regular, though.)

• Love 3

I really like Emily other than the fact she has some odd dislike of Penny that makes no sense.

I can see how someone can disagree with the reason, but I don't see how it makes no sense.  Some people just aren't comfortable with their boyfriends hanging out with past flames.

Some people just aren't comfortable with their boyfriends hanging out with past flames.

I missed the whole conversation about what Raj told her about Penny,  if he told Emily she was a past flame then I totally agree with you.  Some people may be fine with it but it's not surprising that some people aren't.  On the other hand if he told her the truth (or close to the truth) then Emily has no reason to see Penny as a past flame and she is over reacting more than a bit.

I read this morning that Carol Susi  ("Debbie") had passed away after a "brief" fight against cancer.  Perhaps that's why we haven't heard her at all in a few weeks?  Very sad.  

I wonder if they will write this into the show?  Maybe have Debbie leave her money and house to Stuart.

I can see how someone can disagree with the reason, but I don't see how it makes no sense.  Some people just aren't comfortable with their boyfriends hanging out with past flames.

Maybe Emily is a big How I Met Your Mother fan.

• Love 1

On the other hand if he told her the truth (or close to the truth) then Emily has no reason to see Penny as a past flame and she is over reacting more than a bit.

Raj left out the fact that the "hookup" came to a premature end, but it was enough for Emily that they were in bed together naked.

Raj left out the fact that the "hookup" came to a premature end, but it was enough for Emily that they were in bed together naked.

Right, at that point it's just semantics.

The only thing I liked about this episode was Leonard and Penny; in fact, they're the only couple I like on this show. I despise Raj and I hated his girlfriend. I kind of feel bad for Howard that he's in the exactly the same kind of relationship he had with his mother, except he sleeps with Bernadette.

I also said "Ew" when Sheldon mentioned the idea of himself "copulating" with Amy. Everything about Sheldon being sexual just grosses me out completely. I guess it's a testament to JP's skills. He portrays such a cold, clinical, childlike, alien-like character so thoroughly that even the mere notion of him having sex is squicky. (And I don't think JP is unattractive, far from it, so it's definitely Sheldon.) I really, really, really hope they never go there with this terrible pairing

See, I don't think Jim Parsons is attractive in real life either, so I'm doubly squicked out at the thought of Sheldon having sex. 

But I really want Amy to realize she's wasted four years of her life in a horrible, horrible "relationship."

• Love 1
Amy recognizes Sheldon's limitations.  It frustrates her from time to time.  But she also understands who he is and that he indeed is trying, and beyond trying to move forward to a more sexual relationship at a pace that frustrates her, they are quite compatible.  Nothing abusive about that.

Not abusive, no, but incompatible in a very important way.  If both were asexual, fine, I wished they had kept them that way.  If an open relationship is agreed to, fine. But Amy telling Sheldon she's hoping for sex "all the time" with him is sad.  It's unfair to both of them.

Can someone in their thirties become a more sexual person?  Is that really possible?  Doesn't sound very realistic to me, which is why I think the Sheldon-Amy relationship is beyond being salvaged in a realistic way.   It's like when characters who have been shown to be hetero suddenly become gay (Grey's Anatomy, looking at you.)  I don't think human physiology works that way. 

Sheldon can certainly love Amy, but grow into feeling sexually attracted to her?  To me, being asexual is as valid an orientation as hetero or homo.  If Sheldon were gay, would they be able to portray him as immature?  No, but Amy's quest would be just as hopeless.

Edited by backgroundnoise

What bums me out is that I don't see him trying much, if at all. He counts the minutes of their compulsory "dates", and asks if extra time spent with each other can count towards the next date's time quota. He happily ignores her if something more interesting is happening (like when he spent their train anniversary date talking to some random guy about trains). He didn't even tell her he was leaving town indefinitely to go ride trains. He only does nice things because he feels like he HAS to, basically. His saying "I love you" was just so out of the blue, after seasons of him being an utter asshole to her, disregarding her feelings, and not valuing her inexplicable devotion. As I wrote back on the TWoP boards:

Sheldon is exactly the type of guy women should ideally not date: selfish, immature, demanding, whiny, childish, dependent on others to cater to him. And he brings very little to the table himself. Yes, he can have an intellectual discussion, which is great, but how much of it is him talking about his area of interest and dismissing yours entirely (cf Amy and neurobiology)? He's not at all an equal partner, and usually has to be forced into things via the relationship agreement. If Amy and Sheldon were to get married, she'd essentially be an unpaid housekeeper/nurse/sounding board. If God forbid they have children, it would only be worse.

• Love 5

To me, being asexual is as valid an orientation as hetero or homo.

I don't think Sheldon is asexual - he has very deliberately suppressed this aspect of himself.  Maybe because of his childhood as a child prodigy in a world of adults, maybe because of his first hand view of his parents marriage "imploding" as he once put it, maybe because he wants to be Mr Spock.  Anyway for whatever reasons he does not feel comfortable with the physical side of life - which includes hugs and handshakes as we see time and again.  He's trying to change because he does love Amy.  Sheldon being Sheldon though it will be in his own good time.

• Love 2

When she said she loved Sally from Nightmare before Christmas because 'she has scars and can remove body parts and sew them back on'(?) I decided I like her a lot. 

Same here. I was disappointed that they retconned Bernadette by having her act squeamish about it. This is the gal who has a delightfully dark and jaded view of infectious diseases. She'd probably agree.

• Love 1

I don't think they're compatible. They share the occasional interest, but otherwise, they have no common interests. She hates science fiction and comic books; he hates the things she likes.

And there is an element of abuse in their relationship. When Amy innocently pointed out the plot holes in one of Sheldon's movies (I forget which -- "Raiders of the Lost Ark" or "Star Wars"), he deliberately set out to ruin her enjoyment of her favorite books. He has been dismissive not only of her field of research, but of her own accomplishments. She was the sole author of a paper that made the cover of a peer-reviewed journal; he not only refused to recognize it, he belittled it.

The only time I find Sheldon even mildly redeeming is in his interactions with Leonard and, sometimes, Penny. Otherwise, I think Sheldon's a right old bastard.

• Love 4