Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Edward Mordrake, Part 1

• Start Topic

Oh, and I don't think people in the 50s wore many store bought costumes, or at least that's what my parents and aunts/uncles say - maybe a mask, but everything else was usually homemade, so lots of scarecrows, gypsies, pirates, baseball players, cats, witches, etc.

I'm 55 and my friends and I wore store bought costumes all the time.  I think you have to go back further for homemade stuff.

• Love 1

Another great episode.  I was expecting some more straight up scares like in past seasons but still it was good. 

I agree with a previous poster that Dandy seems to be the scariest character so far.  His temper tantrums are just frightening.  Although I had to giggle at his "Curfews are for poor people" line.  OMG did you see all the sweets and sugary stuff his mom had laid out for him?!  I hope the show delves more into their mother-son story line.  Any other situation I would say that sort of theme had been played out but here it works.

As far as Dennis O'Hare's dingaling goes (tee hee hee) I read somewhere that R.M. said all the stop motion automatons you see in the opening credits would be shown in the show.  Soooo....guy with a 3rd leg as a ding dong??  Just a guess, a wild guess...                       

• Love 1
Can somebody explain to me how Twisty the Horrifying Terror Clown can wander openly down a street swarming with kids and parents in broad daylight during a curfew because of a serial killer and not be seen or smelled by anybody but one twelve year old girl??? Not to mention the whole Michael Myers teleportation thing.

I agree that it is exceedingly odd that Twisty can move about so openly in public.  I think that the Halloween trick or treating scene was in the next town over though.  Didn't one of the parents mention that there are so many trick or treaters this year due to the curfew in the next town over?  Maybe I imagined that line...

Agree that this episode was kind of a let down, but it had some really good parts.  The scene between Ethel and the doctor was heartbreaking.  The big twist of Twisty grabbing the obnoxious older brother instead of the little girl was good.  I'm enjoying all of Elsa's musical numbers, wrong era or not.  I loved the appearance of Mordrake--wonder who he's going to grab instead of Ethel?  I'm wondering what criteria his demon head uses when selecting victims.  Perhaps people who are truly repentant and who already want to die don't get the dragged off to hell treatment. Elsa is the one who called him up by performing on Halloween, but she might not be targeted either. Speaking of which, when she saw Mordrake, what was going through her head?  Was it "holy crap!" or did she mistake him for the tall stranger that was going to change her life?

I can understand one or both twins having fantasies of losing the other head and having their own lives, but to actually want to decapitate your twin is a bit ridiculous.  She would most certainly die.

The one scene that I really disliked was Ethel asking Del to help out Jimmy after she dies.  She knows that Del is major bad news--surely she doesn't want Jimmy to use Del as a male role model.  

• Love 3

Dennis O'Hares down there anatomy is definitely larger than life because he told Thor that he needed a sword then proceeded to have Thor pull his pants down.

ETA: By the way I am rooting for Patti L(the maid) to end Dandys life. She's got a new attitude.

Edited by Dancingjaneway
  • Love 12

Can somebody explain to me how Twisty the Horrifying Terror Clown can wander openly down a street swarming with kids and parents in broad daylight during a curfew because of a serial killer and not be seen or smelled by anybody but one twelve year old girl??? Not to mention the whole Michael Myers teleportation thing. 

The two mothers explained that. One of them complained about the large number of people trick or treating and the other one replied that it was due to all the kids from Jupiter coming over because of the curfew in their town.

I quite liked the episode, but there was one detail that kept pulling me out of it. Ethel's trailer is damned TARDIS! The inside was huge. It even had two levels and stairs. I know they needed room for Mordrake to make his entrance, but seriously?!

Edited by AzureOwl
  • Love 4

They really should have sent Michael Chiklis to a gym if the producers were going to have the "strong man" casually lifting things. I'm not saying he needs to look buff, but he's clearly out of shape.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that there's going to be an anachronistic song in each episode

When the issue first came up, I googled what songs would have been consistent with 1952; I think they made the right decision.

• Love 5
By the way I am rooting for Patti L(the maid) to end Dandys life. She's got a new attitude.

I hope Ryan Murphy paid her her a sh*!wad of money to wear that woody the woodpecker outfit--though her imitation of his laugh was good =)

The two mothers explained that. One of them complained about the large number of people trick or treating and the other one replied that it was due to all the kids from Jupiter coming over because of the curfew in their town.

Yeah but anyone with 20/20 vision can see that Twisty is clearly not a child and UGH with that nasty looking clown outfit.  Even amongst the trick or treats he still stood out to me.  But good job on the Halloween shots--it's one of my favorite movies.

And R.M also deserves props for his knowledge of Carny folk.  The museum at the beginning of the episode was well done and appeared to have pictures of real sideshow performers.  It kinda reminded me of the dime museums that began in the late 1800's by P.T. Barnum.

• Love 2
Guest Accused Dingo

Twisty can wander openly because this is horror. There is a hilarious.comercial making the rounds (i think for a car) that makes fun of the horror trope that people in horror movies make bad decisions. "Hey should we get into the running car?" "What are you crazy! Lets hide behind the wall of electric saws".

Of course crazy old lady will pick up scary looking clown for her psychotic son. Of course no one will notice scary looking clown among their children on Holloween. Its a horror movie; people make bad decisions....they just do.

Edited by Accused Dingo
  • Love 8

Wes Bentley had a major drug problem after American Beauty that hurt his Career.

Wow, I had never heard that. If that's the case, then he's had some Robert Downy, Jr.-level good luck, because time has been very kind to Bentley despite his past substance abuse troubles. 

To me, that's the most unsettling part of this storyline. No-one notices this physically imposing, blood-splattered figure? No-one does a double take at his whole...scalp situation? People aren't on the lookout for creepy strangers after the brutal murders? I don't understand this town at all. 

I can't stop laughing at the phrase "his whole...scalp situation." 

I think my favorite line of the episode was when Mother asked Dandy if he'd had a nice nap. Well, either that or Patti Labelle's deadpan Woody Woodpecker laugh. 

Edited by Portia
  • Love 4

"HooOOOOWdy DooOOOOdy!?!?"

Ah, this show! I can't get enough of Dandy, Dory, and Mrs. Dandy's Mom! What I wouldn't do for a prequel spin-off, as I assume they won't all make it around for a sequel!

The rest of it, eh, I still can't get into the rest of the storylines. These damn musical numbers are killing me! I need to stay up past my bedtime for this show, and I just spend the musical numbers looking at the clock thinking they could just end this show four minutes earlier! Or, like, give me 4 minutes more of life in Dandy's house!

• Love 4

By the way I am rooting for Patti L(the maid) to end Dandys life. She's got a new attitude.

Definitely.  She better make it through to the end. I was all here for her not even entertaining Dandy's bullshit. Git 'em, Patti.

Edited by Sheenieb
  • Love 3
I quite liked the episode, but there was one detail that kept pulling me out of it. Ethel's trailer is damned TARDIS! The inside was huge. It even had two levels and stairs. I know they needed room for Mordrake to make his entrance, but seriously?!

I noticed that too! I guess part of it was to envoke the dream state of her talking to Mordrake but Holy Hell. That thing looked like Dandy's summer Pouting Retreat.

• Love 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard there would be 5 musical numbers total. Ryan Murphy said he picked songs from artists who were considered "misunderstood" during their careers, or "freaks". I heard they will do a Nirvana tune, then I don't know who else. 

Personally, I like the music numbers. It sets the right mood. It makes for boring TV if the freak show consists of people just staring at the freaks. They have to add some other entertainment. If it was music set in 1952, it would've been horrible. 

So far, I'm liking this season. I have no idea where it's going or what makes most of the characters tick and that's a good thing. 

Last nights episode confirmed for me what a great actress Kathy Bates is. She had my heart when she was at the doctors getting her bad news. I wanted to give her a big hug when she asked Dell Toledo if he loved her even a little bit when she bore his child and he said no. I hope Ethel doesn't leave the season early. 

The only thing missing this season are Lily Rabe, who I think would've made a better Bette and Dotte, because she has such an expressive face; and Jamie Brewer. 

It may have been a risky move using Jamie Brewer this season because of her real life Down Syndrome and acting in a "freak show" setting. Some people might have taken offense to that. 

Call me obsessed, but it's time for me to watch last nights episode for the second time. I've been watching them all twice and I always catch things I missed on the first airing. LOL! Yes, I'm a weirdo!

Edited by aurora296
  • Love 3

How mind-blowingly stupid is Dot, to think that she could have her other head removed, and walk away just fine?

It does have a little bit of scientific merit.

There are reports of polycephalic animals who "share" control. Since they're animals it usually results in weird erratic behaviour cause they refuse to cooperate and the brains just "argue" with each other.

If Dot and Bette work that way, both might have control of the entire body, but they've learned to switch off and not "argue" with each other. Did they explain in the show whether it's a right side/left side thing or do they "share" the whole body? If that's the case, Dot probably thinks that if Bette dies she'll just take full control of the body. More likely, since they share a set of lungs if one of them dies the other will soon asphyxiate. It happened to a brazillan baby with polycephaly a few years back. Once one head died due to lack of oxygen, the other soon followed suit.

• Love 1

Actually, I recall the doctor in the premiere episode saying Bette and Dot had two sets of lungs, which bugged when they did the "one head inhales and the other exhales" bit, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

• Love 1

I love the songs. I love the styling and the atmosphere of them. I think its a way to introduce so many complexities that dialogue can't. The reveal at the end of 'Life on Mars' just kills me. I instantly know everything about Elsa and I'm still interested.

I love the homages. 'Criminal' seemed to evoke the entire 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' video and I'm taken right back. I want to wear flannel and argue about how misunderstood I feel. It tells me Bette and Dot are sheltered and angsty, both rejecting the world and craving it.

I think without those breaks the show would be overly serious.

• Love 7

There are two kinds of people; those who have Coulrophobia and those who aren't that scared of clowns. But no one actually likes them.

I like clowns.  I grew up in the 1950's and I didn't know any kids who were afraid of them.  We had Bozo, Kukla and Ronald; all were beloved characters.  I don't know when or what started the Coulrophobia. 

Twisty is scarey, but he's not a typical clown. His costume looks like it was made by Ed Gein.

• Love 7

Question:  Was it ever said who the heavy set woman was in Ethel's room before Edward showed up?  I thought maybe someone from Ethel's past come to haunt her but IDK, maybe not.  Did I miss something?

One of the various people Edward has killed over the years.

Dandy is fast becoming my favorite new character and I don't even know why. "HOWDY DOODY????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!" He and Francis Conroy are comedy gold. 

The thing that bugs me about Ethel isn't so much her accent but the fact that she could simply shave or have electrolysis and wouldn't be a freak anymore. She wasn't doomed to this kind of life the way the other freaks were.

How mind-blowingly stupid is Dot, to think that she could have her other head removed, and walk away just fine?

Even if they could do that, she'd still be a freak. She'd have extra wide shoulders and her head would be way over to the right one. 

• Love 4

Loved the new characters. Maggie manipulated Elsa so well! But I don't think she's evil enough to do what Stanley wants to do. And Mordrake was awesome. His scene with Kathy Bates was amazing and I can't wait to know who's going to have to go with him. 

Ma Petite jumping out of the pumpkin and going Boo was to sweet for words.

So true!!

Everything about Dandy was perfection.

The girl's mom made a comment that she finds clowns comical or something, I forget her exact words. That's BS. No one likes clowns! There are two kinds of people; those who have Coulrophobia and those who aren't that scared of clowns. But no one actually likes them.

As someone who loved Bozo the Clown growing up and enjoys Cam playing Fizbo on Modern Family, I do not think that is necessarily true. I think it is what your first experiences with clowns were. If your first experience with clowns was "IT" or other killer clown story as opposed to a silly, happy, balloon-animal making clown, it makes a difference.

I also liked the homages to the original "Halloween" in this ep.

I am glad I wasn't the only one who caught that! I swear, the theme music was practically playing in my head.

I enjoyed Dandy and the maid. I just love her air of "I am so over this!"

Kathy Bates was the MVP this episode for me. Her scenes with the doctor and Mordrake were my favorites this episode. Also liked her and Del's scene, but to a lesser extent.

I did too! I also noticed it in the first episode when he was hanging the sign with Amazon Eve and I think right when the twins came to the show. I noticed it so much so that I kept trying to pause and see. At first I thought maybe he just had one hand with the claw and one that was normal? 

They really should have sent Michael Chiklis to a gym if the producers were going to have the "strong man" casually lifting things. I'm not saying he needs to look buff, but he's clearly out of shape.

It's extra hilarious given how much more buff Angela Bassett's arms are in comparison to him.

• Love 2
The thing that bugs me about Ethel isn't so much her accent but the fact that she could simply shave or have electrolysis and wouldn't be a freak anymore. She wasn't doomed to this kind of life the way the other freaks were.

As a lady myself who has struggled with "unwanted facial hair" it always, ALWAYS, comes back.  I have tried everything from shaving (big no-no), to waxing to electrolysis (I wonder if they had that in the 50s though) it has eventually come back.  Now it isn't a prominate as Ethel but it is embarrassing.  Hormones is what I was told the reason.  =(

• Love 2

I also think Twisty and Dandy are by far the best part. I love Jessica, but I really find her singing dull and it drags the whole show down for me. Ethel's story is sad and I imagine all of the freaks have equally sad stories. I really think Ryan Murphy should do a full out serial killer/killer clown show and just leave Jessica and the freaks behind.

I thought this episode was surprisingly funny during certain points. "Fight with triple tits?" Another good line was "Look, I lead you on for about five minutes."

I laughed during the Howdy Doody meltdown and also enjoyed Dandy commenting on how Gloria has dressed up as Doris Duke on more than one occasion. I also thought the Woody Woodpecker laugh was funny. Oh, and Dot makes the comment about the Emma Roberts character giving away things for free and I'm thinking, okay, does Dot think she should be charging? Lol. 

I love that Ma Petite and the Tall Lady seem like they're good friends and loved the pumpkin moment. I liked seeing Ma Petite refuse the alcohol during Meep's burial. She's too sweet.

Why didn't the musicians stop playing when Mordrake came into the tent? 

One performance and Bette and Dot think that they're the biggest stars of the show? Okay. 

I think the twins are eventually going to get some sort of operation only it'll be Dot who ends up having her head cut off. Whoever ends up surviving though isn't going to be happy.

Did Twisty steal the boy because he was dressed as a clown earlier that day? 

Edited by Avaleigh

Last night's episode was kind of dull, except for Ethel and Mordrake's conversation. There wasn't enough Twisty and by the time Dandy stopped having a damn tantrum the episode was over. I also am not feeling the music number they are seemnig to need in every episode. I just don't enjoy that, it feels like shitty karaoke.

• Love 2

As a lady myself who has struggled with "unwanted facial hair" it always, ALWAYS, comes back.  I have tried everything from shaving (big no-no), to waxing to electrolysis (I wonder if they had that in the 50s though) it has eventually come back.  Now it isn't a prominate as Ethel but it is embarrassing.  Hormones is what I was told the reason.  =(

I believe they did. I remember reading somewhere that electrolysis is how Rita Hayworth achieved her trademark look (that and alot of red dye), and she was at the height of her career in the 1940's.  Even back then it was sinfully expensive and extreamely painful. So it may just be that Ethel couldnt afford it.

The only part about the episode that left me wondering was when Edward Mordrake walked into the tent and say Elsa performing. I couldnt tell if he was entranced or shocked by what he saw, (in my case its the former)

I'm wondering what criteria his demon head uses when selecting victims. Perhaps people who are truly repentant and who already want to die don't get the dragged off to hell treatment.

He said something about looking for people who are freaks both inside and out. Ethel wouldn't fit that criteria. I'm imagining someone like Dell would.

If you look at a lot of the 'strong man' or 'burly hero' types from then, most of them were just more barrel chested and big than actually Arnold Schwartzanegger huge and ripped, so I can overoverlook it.

• Love 6

Last night's episode was kind of dull, except for Ethel and Mordrake's conversation. There wasn't enough Twisty and by the time Dandy stopped having a damn tantrum the episode was over. I also am not feeling the music number they are seemnig to need in every episode. I just don't enjoy that, it feels like shitty karaoke.

ITA. Ethel at the doctor was heartbreaking as well. I liked the Flapper Ethel flashback, and hope we'll see that from more of the characters. If Jessica Lange bought what Emma Roberts was selling, she deserves every bad thing that happens to her. 

I think if we saw much more of the Dandy/Mother/Maid/Twisty, it could be overkill and they'd get really corny really fast. Twisty, like Hannibal Lechter in the last movies/books, is scarier when you know he's just a psychopath, cant figure out why he is that way, and have zero sympathy for him. When you learn the Nazi's made him snap, and how they did it, he gets some sympathy. That ruined the scariness for me. Right now I'm rooting for Twisty to off Dandy, but that's just too predictable, so who knows what he'll do.

Unless it grows at a visible rate, she could do what a lot of men do and just shave every day. It's a minor hassle compared to living with the label of "freak".

• Love 4

She probably makes more money as a freak anyway so maybe that's why she doesn't shave it. "Freaks" actually made a nice living during the Depression so maybe that was part of her decision to keep the beard.

• Love 1

Did Twisty steal the boy because he was dressed as a clown earlier that day?

I think he stole him because he was a terrible clown. He only chose to be a clown to torment his sister, when clowns are supposed to bring joyful entertainment, just like Twisty intends, until something sets him off and he, uh, pulls all his tricks out of the bag. Instead of killing the sweet, innocent little girl, he was sort of rescuing her from her tormentor, and also punishing the tormentor. 

BTW - has anyone actually called Twisty by the name Twisty, or just "Clown"?

• Love 2

As someone who loved Bozo the Clown growing up and enjoys Cam playing Fizbo on Modern Family, I do not think that is necessarily true. I think it is what your first experiences with clowns were. If your first experience with clowns was "IT" or other killer clown story as opposed to a silly, happy, balloon-animal making clown, it makes a difference.

I am glad I wasn't the only one who caught that! I swear, the theme music was practically playing in my head.

I enjoyed Dandy and the maid. I just love her air of "I am so over this!"

Kathy Bates was the MVP this episode for me. Her scenes with the doctor and Mordrake were my favorites this episode. Also liked her and Del's scene, but to a lesser extent.

I thought of Halloween, as well.

Kathy Bates also made the episode for me, although I liked Twisty's "Ssh" to the little girl.

I thought I recognized Mordrake from somewhere - Wes Bentley!

Twisty can wander openly because this is horror. There is a hilarious.comercial making the rounds (i think for a car) that makes fun of the horror trope that people in horror movies make bad decisions. "Hey should we get into the running car?" "What are you crazy! Lets hide behind the wall of electric saws".

Of course crazy old lady will pick up scary looking clown for her psychotic son. Of course no one will notice scary looking clown among their children on Holloween. Its a horror movie; people make bad decisions....they just do.

I think there's a difference, though, between people in horror movies being bad at self-preservation, and the bizarre thing we're seeing here - where the townspeople loathe the woman who's tall and the guy with long fingers because they're such disgusting freaks, but none of the adults seem to think that a blood-drenched psycho-clown is anything unusual.

• Love 6

The girl's mom made a comment that she finds clowns comical or something, I forget her exact words.

I believe she said that she finds clowns "delightful."   And right away I thought, no, no they're not.

When Dandy  had his Howdy Doody tantrum, I really thought he was going to do something terrible to Dora when she turned her back on him. Then later on in his clown costume, it was 50/50 for me that he was going to something knifey to her. I just wonder if the next time she disses him, he'll really do it. Or maybe Twisty will do it for him.

Ok, so as much as I love Kathy Bates, I just don't really want to see that much of Ethel in one ep and this was really Ethel-centric. I don't find her character all that interesting this season, well at least not as interesting compared to the horridly great Madame LaLaurie, so I got spoiled and so I'm not nearly invested with Ethel. And it was tough listening to that damn accent all episode too!

I actually have in my notes during the conversation scene with Del "zzzzzzzz." It just bored me and took up too much time. But I don't deny she's a great actress and agree with all that said her acting was good in this one.  I thought her best scene was when Mordrake came calling. It's hysterical that he brings along his own fog. I was pretty sure he wasn't going to take her only because it seemed too early that they'd kill off a main character, but I did think for an instant he might do it. Speaking of Mordrake, I really liked those black and white flashback scenes. It really had the look of an film from that time. I  enjoyed his character, that second head was creepy.

I want my Jessica Lange back! Except for the first ep, there hasn't been enough JL for my tastes. I don't know, maybe in her contract she is supposed to have limited screen time this season, but as a fan I'm not liking less of her so far. Of the songs she sang so far, I liked Life on Mars best, but if she's going to sing some more, I'd prefer they give her an only timey song.  Ma Petite "playing" that teeny tiny violin was too funny.

Like Lange, Sarah Paulson is so great at crying scenes;(as on the operating table scene)  I don't know how she does it because she's probably not acting against anyone so to get that kind of emotion is so amazing.

• Love 1

I have been doing the electrolysis thing regularly for about 15 years (the hair comes back in cycles). Even today it is expensive (if you go someplace reputable). Rita Hayworth had it done in the 1940s or 50s and it the price was steep. Most people could not afford that. Also, as a woman with a formerly extensive beard, shaving makes the problem worse and is hard on your skin. Before I started electrolysis, I had a permanent 5 o'clock shadow.

The girl's mom made a comment that she finds clowns comical or something, I forget her exact words. That's BS. No one likes clowns! There are two kinds of people; those who have Coulrophobia and those who aren't that scared of clowns. But no one actually likes them.

There have been several studies done about the fear of clowns. Coulrophobia did not really start to rise until John Wayne Gacy was arrested and people became aware of the details of his crime.

• Love 2

Anachronistic songs are one thing. Anachronistic songs that mention Jim Morisson is just too much to think about.

Even Xena never went that far.

Anyway, I'm tired of Elsa hogging so many of the musical numbers.

When are Dandy and Twisty going to do "Puttin' on the Ritz?"

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 9

I wonder what Del's deal is, McLovin' wise? It's a little early, culturally speaking, for him to have "roid dick,", but dude, if Angela Basset in a naughty maid outfit giving you a handy can't get things going something is seriously physically/psychologically wrong. 

• Love 4

I believe she said that she finds clowns "delightful."   And right away I thought, no, no they're not.

Thank you! I was racking my head trying to remember what she said.

Maybe I should rephrase what I said because I'm not necessarily afraid of clowns but I don't care for them. Don't get me wrong, I like what RM is doing with Twisty and I have a soft spot in my heart for Harley and the Joker. I even did a short stint as a makeup artist teaching a class to performers (which included clowns). I'm probably biased but I've never met a clown that wasn't obnoxious and dull, both in and out of character. My point is, they're a warm up act, not headliners. It's the Halloween costume for someone who went shopping on Oct 30. Clowns are no one's favorite form of entertainment and they are certainly not delightful.

But I guess that suits Twisty's character. It'd be kind of boring to have a psychotic acrobat.

• Love 2

Poor, poor Ethel. She really is my favorite character.

Ma Petite jumping and scaring the tallest lady was hilarious. I had myself a good chuckle.

Dandy reminds me of Tom Riddle in appearance, haha.

I am so scared for Bonnie and the boy. It breaks my heart every time I see them. Strangely enough, I'm more scared for them when Dandy's in there.

Maid Dora takes zero shit. I love it!

Scam's a-coming. Emma Roberts involved. Surprised? No.

Bette and Dot are awesome. I love their interactions.

• Love 3

Best episode so far. The additions of Stanley and Maggie definitely helped matters, though Stanley seems to be the nastier of the two.

The scene with him and the thor lookalike (not very) was priceless as well.

Maggie seems to have charmed Elsa, Bette and Jimmy but Dot took an instant dislike to her.

Loved Elsa's version of Gods & Monsters, a lot better than Life On Mars was. Of course, she summoned Mordrake though.

The Mordrake flashbacks and scenes with Ethel were great though. He can take Dell as far as I'm concerned. He's going to be trouble.

Jimmy needs to do a bit more than feel sorry for himself as well though.

Twisty's kidnapping people left, right and centre but why hasn't he killed Dandy? Is he scared of him? Love thar Dora stood up to Dandy as well, 8/10

• Love 2

Twisty's kidnapping people left, right and centre but why hasn't he killed Dandy? Is he scared of him?

Dandy is the only person who has ever responded to Twisty with acceptance and glee. That probably counts for a lot in the Twisty book.
  • Love 5

My theory on Coulrophobia is that there is a tiny segment of the population that actually has a true clown phobia and a whole lot of us who have just had an isolated experience of being creeped out by a clown. When I was a kid I'd never had a problem with them at a distance, but when I was six a circus clown leaned over, looked me right in the eye, and tried to hand me a balloon. It was like someone had picked me up and tossed me right down into the Uncanny Valley, and it freaked me the hell out! I didn't scream, and I didn't have nightmares later, but I froze, wide-eyed, and refused to take the balloon despite my parents' prodding  And more than 40 years later, I can still see that clown's face: it had beads of sweat on it, ew!!!!  Still, if you'd asked 6-year-old me how I felt about the part of the circus where the clowns came out and acted silly, I would have described it as "delightful" . . . or at least "neato." I mean, come ON, they were kicking each other in the butt and everything! That's comedy gold!

• Love 2