Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Edward Mordrake, Part 1

• Start Topic

To me, tonight is a crucial episode.  Reason being; based on the last 3 seasons, is that this seems to be the point in time that Ryan Murphy takes the show to too many different directions, twists and turns.   I'm hoping this season retains some focus.

Although, I've still enjoyed the past 3 seasons despite the 10,000 different directions.   

• Love 3

To me, tonight is a crucial episode.  Reason being; based on the last 3 seasons, is that this seems to be the point in time that Ryan Murphy takes the show to too many different directions, twists and turns.   I'm hoping this season retains some focus.

Although, I've still enjoyed the past 3 seasons despite the 10,000 different directions.   

Yeah, it's time to start ramping this season up. Don't let me down episode three!

• Love 1

To me, tonight is a crucial episode. Reason being; based on the last 3 seasons, is that this seems to be the point in time that Ryan Murphy takes the show to too many different directions, twists and turns. I'm hoping this season retains some focus.

Although, I've still enjoyed the past 3 seasons despite the 10,000 different directions.

See, that's what I like about it - surprises! It is totally unpredictable, even up to the finale. I enjoy his ridiculous mysteries that I can't solve. YMMV

• Love 2

So I am watching Edward Modrake part 1 and after the bearded lady is done telling the story about the 'two faced devil' she is storming out and Jimmy is following. Jimmy is suppose to have lobster hands right? His hands are clearly normal during this entire scene. Did anyone else catch this?

• Love 3

Life on Mars was better. But I'd rather JL sing something old timey instead.

Anyway,this ep.  Was anyone else underwhelmed? Part two hopefully will be better but as far as AHS Halloween eps go,I was not feeling it. Like the Mordrake guy though.

*SNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE*

Sums up tonight's episode.

Yep, I pretty much agree RazzleberryPie.  And I actually wrote in my notes during the Ethel/Del talk "zzzzzzzzz."    I don't want to see those two have a heart to heart damn it! Waste of time.

I love Kathy Bates but this was way too much Ethel. And she's not really even an interesting character(for me) At least compared to her role last season.

More Jessica Lange I say! I need more JL!   They're not spotlighting her enough for my tastes. (or maybe that's how it's going to be all season?)  I love JL a lot though all the seasons, so I don't like seeing her underused.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 2

Oh, and I don't think people in the 50s wore many store bought costumes, or at least that's what my parents and aunts/uncles say - maybe a mask, but everything else was usually homemade, so lots of scarecrows, gypsies, pirates, baseball players, cats, witches, etc.

• Love 2

Wasn't very scary, but I am liking the character growth.

The actor that is playing Edward Mordrake is far too attractive to be considered scary.

I think that's the point though, the tragedy of his character. From what I read the Edward had a beautiful face but the face on the back was the scary one.

So I guess ghost exist in this universe...

How mind-blowingly stupid is Dot, to think that she could have her other head removed, and walk away just fine?

I am wondering about the arm? If she get's split will she have a left or right hand? I can't remember which side she is on.

• Love 1

Dot (the one who wants to hire a doctor to cut her sister's head off) is on the right. In the sense that her head is on the same side of her body as her right hand.

Dot didn't seem evil until now, though, right? Wasn't Bette the one who killed their mother?

• Love 1

I think that's the point though, the tragedy of his character. From what I read the Edward had a beautiful face but the face on the back was the scary one.

So I guess ghost exist in this universe...

I am wondering about the arm? If she get's split will she have a left or right hand? I can't remember which side she is on.

Was Dot trying to split them in half or just cut off Bette's head?

I have noticed that Dandy (Finn Wittrock) is strangely hot.....

I liked this episode a lot more than the previous ones.  It kept me engaged and I felt like it had some focus.  I love Kathy Bates and any time she is featured is OK with me.  Noticed that Edward Mordrake was the kid from American Beauty.  Also noticed in the first scene Jolene Honeycutt from Mel's Diner!  I wish Frances Conroy was being used more interestingly.  So far this part isn't making use of her talents at all. 

• Love 4

Dot (the one who wants to hire a doctor to cut her sister's head off) is on the right. In the sense that her head is on the same side of her body as her right hand.

Dot didn't seem evil until now, though, right? Wasn't Bette the one who killed their mother?

Yes, that was Bette. I'm still trying to remember who is who. I think I can keep it straight after tonight. Bette is the sweeter one and she is on the left(but we see her as being on the right when we look at them)

I love Patti Labelle. Can't wait to see some more interaction with her and Dandy. She has a hold over him for sure! WTF was up with that twisted side kick of Emma Roberts? Were they insinuating he had an abnormal "sword"? Haha

They are really building toward how even the normal ones are freaks or stunted on the inside.

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 4

Well, that was disturbing again this week. I love this series and rho had me ruminating after last week's episode. I think I know why I'm troubled this year. There is not enough camp in this season. It's playing too real, taking itself too seriously. No down time or comic relief. I feel like I'm holding my breath the whole time. Not due to fear but for all these poor souls. The song "Gods and Monsters" sung by Elsa had a great line, "its innocence lost, innocence lost". That's how I'm seeing all the characters. Speaking of that, Kathy Bates nailed that scene with Edward Mordrake! I guess I need more Twisty. He'll probably end up being the good guy!

• Love 4

I assumed maybe he has two penises? I saw an article earlier this year about a guy with two. 

I love Patti Labelle. Can't wait to see some more interaction with her and Dandy. She has a hold over him for sure! WTF was up with that twisted side kick of Emma Roberts? Were they insinuating he had an abnormal "sword"? Haha
They are really building toward how even the normal ones are freaks or stunted on the inside.

Wow you're right that was the kid from American Beauty, he has grown up quite nicely.

I liked this episode too, but I was left a little underwhelmed when Dandy didn't kill the maid, or when Twisty didn't kill the girls family , and only took the boy?? That was odd. I also thought Ethel was a goner at the end, and then nothing.

I liked this episode a lot more than the previous ones.  It kept me engaged and I felt like it had some focus.  I love Kathy Bates and any time she is featured is OK with me.  Noticed that Edward Mordrake was the kid from American Beauty.  Also noticed in the first scene Jolene Honeycutt from Mel's Diner!  I wish Frances Conroy was being used more interestingly.  So far this part isn't making use of her talents at all. 

I assumed maybe he has two penises? I saw an article earlier this year about a guy with two.

I didn't read that he had two, I believe Ryan Murphy said

it was 13 inches!

Now that would merit an HOLY SHIT for sure.  Did anyone else read that?

• Love 2

Loved creepy Wes Bentley as Mordrake.

Nora the maid SO has Dandy's number. I love it! And Dandy's clown mask was messed. up.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that there's going to be an anachronistic song in each episode; I wonder if people will continue to flip out each time? Lucky for me I like 'em. Some of y'all must have HATED Moulin Rouge! :-)

• Love 7

I thought Elsa singing and bringing Edward Mordrake to the fold was well done. I liked how they filmed it.. Him walking through the green mist was hot to me lol.

Now Maggie and Stanley have shown up just what we needed more cast members.

I find Dandy to be so boring. He is like a really large 2 year old.

Ma Petite jumping out of the pumpkin and going Boo was to sweet for words.

I see Dot does not like Maggie I am sure that will not end well.

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Love 1

I didn't read that he had two, I believe Ryan Murphy said

it was 13 inches!

I Now that would merit an HOLY SHIT for sure.  Did anyone else read that?

I was about to post the same thing, but I wasn't sure where I had read it and if it was indeed about Mordrake.  (I usually read articles about different shows and sometimes I forget what I read about a certain character, i.e. was it Mordrake on AHS or Mr. Whoever on Show XYZ?)  I think it was the same interview where I read that Twisty's back story was going to be in the fourth episode.  I've looked all over for that interview and I can't find it.

I was disappointed in this episode.  The first two were thrilling, but this one kind of dragged in places.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 1

They spoiled me with the first two episodes. This one just kinda went "thud". No goosebumps on JL's Gods and Monsters.  I know the words are what they were probably going for, but the song didn't have that haunting musical tune thing going. 

There were a lot of store bought costumes in the fifties. Although it is true that a lot of people made their own costumes and put a heck of a lot of creativity into them, I remember seeing racks of them in the stores. I was either a Jaguar or the devil.  I was too lazy to throw anything together until I hit 11 or 12 : then I was a bum. That one was very popular.

Mordrake was very interesting.  Why hasn't that actor ( who I do remember from American Beauty ) been in more shows?  He has such a fascinating face.

So, I liked Mordrake, didn't and never will like Ms. Roberts, didn't get to into Twisty this episode, more and more confused on KB's accent and missed the hell out of Jessica Lange.  Either she is saving herself for the last few episodes or she is really needing to stay quite a bit in the background this season. I'm guessing that she is tired. Hopefully, I am totally wrong.  Maybe it's just me being tired. heh

• Love 3

Valny said:

Does anyone know what the freaks threw into Meep's grave? I didn't know what it was. I just know they poured booze.

Chicken heads, since Meep bit the heads off of chickens.

Edited by LeighAnne
  • Love 3

Wes Bentley had a major drug problem after American Beauty that hurt his Career. He also made movies that were not that good. 

It's funny Ryan said this season would not be supernatural but we have a ghost walking the earth who drags people to hell. He also has other ghosts who show up with him but I guess that is not supernatural. Oh Ryan. To be fair I suppose it's just special for the Halloween episodes. 

Evan and Emma also carry the tradition of real life couples who do not have any chemistry on screen. 

I agree with a few others this episode was not as good as the first two. It had a few good parts but that was it.

• Love 1

Can somebody explain to me how Twisty the Horrifying Terror Clown can wander openly down a street swarming with kids and parents in broad daylight during a curfew because of a serial killer and not be seen or smelled by anybody but one twelve year old girl??? Not to mention the whole Michael Myers teleportation thing. 

Oh, and speaking of: shouldn't this kind of thing be national news? The town should be swarming with Feds and reporters--or at least somebody besides the local yokels. There were two decapitations in the toy store, for God's sake! People should be panicking, not bitching about how their kids are hopped up on sugar.

Interesting that Mordrake didn't bring up that whole "pimp out your son for money" thing with Ethel. She had a lot of sad scenes in this one. I was holding my breath during the whole scene with the doctor waiting for him to do something horrible but he just felt bad for her. And her line about how things could have been different if she'd met him earlier broke my heart. It really drove home how rare a simple interaction, or a lifesaving one, was such a rarity for someone who couldn't conceal their "differentness." 

• Love 7

Can somebody explain to me how Twisty the Horrifying Terror Clown can wander openly down a street swarming with kids and parents in broad daylight during a curfew because of a serial killer and not be seen or smelled by anybody but one twelve year old girl??? Not to mention the whole Michael Myers teleportation thing. 

To me, that's the most unsettling part of this storyline. No-one notices this physically imposing, blood-splattered figure? No-one does a double take at his whole...scalp situation? People aren't on the lookout for creepy strangers after the brutal murders? I don't understand this town at all. 

• Love 3

The girl's mom made a comment that she finds clowns comical or something, I forget her exact words. That's BS. No one likes clowns! There are two kinds of people; those who have Coulrophobia and those who aren't that scared of clowns. But no one actually likes them.

• Love 5

Plus how do the town's people not smell  Twisty? Especially that guy at the toy store. He looks like he stinks to the high heavens.

To me, that's the most unsettling part of this storyline. No-one notices this physically imposing, blood-splattered figure? No-one does a double take at his whole...scalp situation? People aren't on the lookout for creepy strangers after the brutal murders? I don't understand this town at all. 

• Love 5

I'm enjoying it a lot so far. I kind of groaned that another song was coming on but this one was the best one yet. Haven't heard the original but I'd gladly have this version on my iTunes.

Frances Conroy's Gloria continues to be a highlight. At first I was disappointed Conroy wouldn't be part of the freak show, I'd have loved to see her as a freak or an evil character, but Gloria is cracking me up so hard.

Bentley's character isn't doing much for me so far, though.

Thor Whore was smokin'. More please.

Edited by joelene
  • Love 1

If you think he's strangely hot as Dandy, he was smokin' hot as a hustler on last season's "Masters of Sex"!

As Dandy, well, not so much.  But I do love his portrayal of Dandy, in all his spoiled, petulant, psychotic pigeon-toed glory!  He knows the whole Cole Porter canon, for cripes sakes!  And his relationship with his mother is more twisted than any freak show, imo.  I find his character more intriguing than Twisty.  But I do think Frances Conroy is being grossly underused this season so far.

I also liked the homages to the original "Halloween" in this ep.

Edited by Kat From Jersey
Guest Accused Dingo

Well Dot and Bette took an interesting personality turn. Plus the bounty hunters who want to kill them for body parts are going to be interesting.

I thought Kathy Bates character was going to die for a moment there. Show fooled me for a second.

A thought occured to me we had two men with performance issues. Hey it happens.

Is the bounty hunter dude actually a freak(does he have a freaky pecker or something)

Of course Dandy dresses up as a clown; but in his defense....howdy doody? I go on a rampage too.

Edited by Accused Dingo
  • Love 4