Type keyword(s) to search

Plastic Surgery Run Amok, or Renee Zellweger: What Were You Thinking?

• Start Topic

[Dear Mods: apologies if this thread is out of place, but I feel the need to discuss Renee with my PTV homies!]

So... What's up with Renee's new face?  She actually looks "nice" here, but not at all like herself anymore.  Very generic.

She seems like a private person, so we may not hear much about this decision, but many of her admirers are finding it odd, to say the least.

Edited by Inquisitionist

The funny thing to me is that Renee actually looks like she's just not using fillers or Botox (or as much of them) anymore. She got a noticeable eye lift several years ago and, combined with a possible lip filler, looked really plastic for awhile. I don't think she looks much like herself, but she looks a lot better than I would have predicted. 

The thing is her eyes were bothering her.  I have the same heavy lidded eyes and need to have them done. Looks, sure that is part of it but they bother me.  I find myself holding my forehead to lift my brows/eyes to relieve the weight of my lids.  I do think Renee got to this point.  I am having mine done soon.  I am not Asian but do have that heavy lid through what genetics I do not know.  I get why she looks different, I will, too.  But I have to do this, it s annoying to hold your hand on your forehead to lift your brow to watch TV.  Seriously. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

I just saw Renee Zellweger's post-surgery pictures. Jesus, I'm not even convinced it's her. It's so sad and awful. Sure, some made fun of her squint, but it was her. She butchered herself.

I agree - but so many people have made hateful remarks about her looks (even some posters in other fora I frequent who consider themselves serious moviegoers refuse to refer to her as anything but "squnchface" or some such name), I'm almost not surprised.  I just wish she could have toughed it out as a fuck you to the naysayers, and I hope the work was more a matter of personal comfort than caving to society's standards for conventional beauty.  And if she's really happy, I am happy for her.

• Love 5

Like everyone else, I noticed she looked completely different, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what she's had done. it's really strange, if you look at individual parts on her face, they look the same, but all together she looks completely different.

• Love 6

I don't think butchered is the right word. The end result does look nice and not particularly obvious that plastic surgery's been done, aside from not being recognizable as the same person. She should give her surgeon's number to people entering the Witness Protection Program, as he'd be ideal to get them started in a new identity.

• Love 9

Like everyone else, I noticed she looked completely different, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what she's had done. it's really strange, if you look at individual parts on her face, they look the same, but all together she looks completely different.

I noticed that, too!  I compared before/after photos side-by-side and simply could not pinpoint what specific changes make her look so totally different.  Odd.

• Love 1

It looks like she got her eyelids redone so that her eyes are bigger. It also looks like she lost her puffy cheeks, which could have either been from her rumored bulimia, filler, or implants.

She looks completely different, but not bad.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

Yeah, what's different is that there's less fat in her face, especially around her eyes and in her cheeks so it's less "puffy". If you removed the fat from Jennifer Lawrence's face(which is also kind of puffy), she'd look like a different person, but still not bad looking. 

Edited by VCRTracking
Substituted with Imgur image.

Re Renee Zellweger's new look, the way I see it, she's damned if she doesn't and damned if she does. RZ has caught Hell for years because of her looks and when she changes them, she catches even more. When it comes to plastic surgery, I agree that a person should do what makes them happy in moderation, but I also agree that RZ's the latest victim of how society in general and Hollywood in particular treats women of a certain age/age group. It seems like the older women get in Hollywood, the less Hollywood cares about them.

The pressure for women in Hollywood is enormous, whether it's about looks, age or career and society's not helping, especially social media. Too many people use Facebook, Twitter and/or Instagram as weapons of mass destruction. Most of these assholes couldn't live up to the impossible standards they've set for these women. I'm no saint either TBH, but the level of venom spewed at any actress who, regardless of talent, doesn't look "perfect" is disgusting. When it comes to aging in show business, I believe that, to quote Joe Gillis in Sunset Blvd., "There's nothing wrong with being 50-unless you try to be 25."  I believe that RZ did what she felt she had to do, but I wish she didn't feel that she had to do it. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 7

I've always thought it interesting that plastic surgery is only an issue if it makes you look some variant of unnatural, worse than you did before, or "unrecognizable." No one laments plastic surgery that supposedly makes you look more attractive.  No one talks about embracing how one looks naturally, or aging gracefully when natural/aging = unattractive by whatever standard.  Based on that article, I don't know why it's assumed that Sally Field, Meryl Streep, Helen Mirren, etc haven't had some kind of procedure(s) done.  It may be that the general public just can't tell. This discussion wouldn't exist if Renee didn't look different.   

That said, I do agree with the author's commentary about aging gracefully = code for being gracious to those around you by either disappearing or getting old without getting fat or dowdy or looking like you're trying too hard.  I admit that some people age better than others, but oh well, that's life.   

• Love 3

When I first saw a picture of her, she looked like herself just fresher, the best way I can put it. Then I saw another picture. She looks like herself but not as much. So I'm thinking she's catching some unnecessary hell depending on what picture people are looking at.

• Love 1

I was standing in a grocery store line and picked up one of those entertainment magazines while I was waiting with her story on the cover.  I thought it interesting that she said basically that she is happy the change is as noticeable as it is because her life has changed dramatically as well. 

Well then, more power to her.

I have seen some pretty hideous pictures of celebrities that have had no work done to their faces.  Photos can be cruel.  That is why I don't let anyone take mine.  ::giggle::

• Love 3

If the point was to look younger, epic fail, at least in the picture I saw.  She doesn't look bad, but she doesn't look any younger.  (Personally, I think she looked better before).  I think she just looks plain, almost nondescript now, when before she had her own distinct look.  I can't see this doing much to get her more movie roles.

I had the same thought about the witness protection program.

Raquel Welch. She'll be 75 this September, but you wouldn't know it to look at her today. She looks INCREDIBLE. This is from the last year or so.

article-2566411-1BC0196B00000578-108_634

• Love 3

So can we give the "good" examples? Whoever did Sally Field's face (she's admitted to having done some work) really deserves a medal. She looks great and still like herself.

Demi Moore takes the cake for me.  She looks great, and "refreshed" but not plastic at all.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Raquel Welch. She'll be 75 this September, but you wouldn't know it to look at her today. She looks INCREDIBLE. This is from the last year or so.

30nv5U8.jpg?1

Ms. Welch looks beautiful -- and always has -- but to me she now looks more like Heather Locklear.  Some of her smolder is gone. 

Edited by harrie
  • Love 2

I said I wouldn't participate in this thread and here I am making myself a liar.

I can't help but notice that there aren't any men getting mentioned aside from Mickey Rourke. There are quite a few men in the industry having unnecessary plastic surgery. I still remember when Rupert Everett suddenly became a new person. It was so much more drastic then Renee Zellweger's surgery. And again, it was really unnecessary, he was a very handsome man at the time.

Same with Bradley Cooper. I suspect something was done to his face after American Sniper but I've also heard some say it looks like hes been getting a chemical peel. Either way it was extremely unnecessary. He wouldn't have even been 40 when this was being done.

Is it too soon to talk about Patrick Swayze?

• Love 4

I said I wouldn't participate in this thread and here I am making myself a liar.

I can't help but notice that there aren't any men getting mentioned aside from Mickey Rourke. There are quite a few men in the industry having unnecessary plastic surgery. I still remember when Rupert Everett suddenly became a new person. It was so much more drastic then Renee Zellweger's surgery. And again, it was really unnecessary, he was a very handsome man at the time.

Same with Bradley Cooper. I suspect something was done to his face after American Sniper but I've also heard some say it looks like hes been getting a chemical peel. Either way it was extremely unnecessary. He wouldn't have even been 40 when this was being done.

I'll throw one in - what the hell has Johnny Depp done to his face?  It's like he saw himself age all of a sudden, got a bunch of fillers, and now he doesn't look quite right.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 3

Especially for his role in Black Mass, where he is playing an older character. They put age spots on him, and shaved back his hairline and did some work around his eyes, but he doesn't have any of the other wrinkles (like on the forehead) that men that age typically have. He looks like a college kid trying to play older for the school play.

• Love 2

Robert Redford has a pretty awful facelift, I think sometime in the late 90's/early 2000's. I remember the old site, someone said they bet he got traumatized by seeing himself on the same screen as Brad Pitt.

Two years ago I would have added in Bruce Jenner, but it turned out that the feminzation was totally on purpose.

I do think something seems off on Bradley Cooper's face, but eh. I really wish he would have stuck with his Silver Linings Look- he looked so much better with short hair instead of the longer hair.

The gold star for men's plastic surgery is the late and great Paul Newman. Whatever work he had done was subtle, and kept him looking great into his 80's.

Nicole Kidman- I think it's a testament to her talent that despite freezing her face and giving her this kind of icy, alien look, she's still capable of doing great work.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

I've never been good at "spot the plastic surgery," but I have believed for a while that Chris Evans has done something. Not sure what or when, but he looks different.  And not for the better.  Still attractive, but something is off. 

Not for me! 

Rupert Everett was so handsome.  I think plastic surgery is the norm among the Hollywood set, so I rarely believe in "natural" beauty anymore.  Still, he really got a botched up job. Subtlety, people!

The gold star for men's plastic surgery is the late and great Paul Newman. Whatever work he had done was subtle, and kept him looking great into his 80's.

As much as I want to believe it, Keanu Reeves is not an immortal. I read one blog that suggested he has had some excellent work done over the years. Since then, I'm inclined to believe it however much I like him. I suspect that it's a little filler here and there, but nothing too often or over the top. I think he has good genes so that helps as well.  So kudos to Reeves for being even handed and I can see him having a light touch about it all too.

I think Jeremy Renner will have work done in the future or more work if he already has. He use to be a makeup artist and he still wears a lot of makeup on the red carpet. I can see how he'd go beyond that too.

I went to google a pic of Renee and saw some of Uma. She also looks completely different.

For the men, I definitely think Jared Leto has had work. Not sure what, I think a face lift as his eyes and brows can sometimes seem odd. I suspect there's also botox at play.

I've never been good at "spot the plastic surgery," but I have believed for a while that Chris Evans has done something. Not sure what or when, but he looks different.  And not for the better.  Still attractive, but something is off.

He's got a rep as a hard drinker, he has to work out like a fiend to keep up the Captain America physique when he's shooting Marvel movies, and it's pretty obvious his natural hairline is racing for the back of his collar. I think all those are combining to age him in the face faster than one would expect.

As for the gold medal in slamming the door in Father Time's face, I give you Donna Mills in the early 1980s and Donna Mills last year. Though I'm not at all certain the credit goes to plastic surgery; I suspect black magic may be somehow involved.

Edited by Bruinsfan

I will say that whoever did Tom Cruise's face has done a great job. He looks young and refreshed at 53, but still like himself. I think he's wisely allowing some signs of aging there, and keeping whatever work he is getting done to be pretty subtle.

I think the people who get eyework trend to fuck up their faces the most- a bad eye job stands out the most. Natalie Wood was thinking about getting her eyes done to get rid of the crowd's feet, but someone talked her out of it. Thank god- she was lovely right to the end.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

Is it wrong of me to think "why bother?" in Liotta's case? I always thought he was an example of becoming a star for talent rather than looks.

Nope. I never thought of Ray Liotta as handsome, even on his best day.  Sexy, yes, depending on the role.  He might have had one of those faces that naturally (or with minimal cosmetic procedures) got better with age, but we'll never know. 

So, with Bridget Jones 3 coming out, are they going to try and come up with some explanation as to why Bridget looks completely unrecognizable?

I don't know how they'll deal with BJ looking completely different but I do feel for RZ. I'm sure her procedures were done to correct her squinty eyes. I have smaller eyes that go with my face but if I had the money, I'd definitely look into plastic surgery. I can empathize. If she had the work done for other reasons, I'm not sure what she was thinking.