Type keyword(s) to search

Plastic Surgery Run Amok, or Renee Zellweger: What Were You Thinking?

• Start Topic

(edited)

I admit that I'm not great at spotting this stuff; but at least some the change for Olivia Munn looks like [drastic?] weight loss, to me. What's weird is that her jawline looks different. (And why would you change that great face shape??)

Well, and she even admitted she lost 12 pounds during training for the new X-Men movie, and on someone as slight as her, 12 pounds is a lot, and definitely enough to define your jawline more. I also think that "after" picture is a shot where she's making a weird face, because she didn't look all that different at the Oscars, other than some lip fillers and that she's clearly lost weight.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
(edited)

Rose McGowan, Tori Spelling, why did they bother with plastic surgery? There was nothing to fix.

I assume you mean that for different reasons: Rose because she was already pretty, and Tori because she's...not, and there was nothing to fix that.

But since Rose's car accident was already mentioned, here's Tori's (supposed) reasoning:

Tori said in her autobiography (which I, um, used to own. *sigh*) about when she was a kid, and how she once asked her mom if she was pretty. Candy supposedly responded with: "You will be when you get your nose done." 

I don't care what they look like, you do NOT say something like that to your own kid.

Tori also claimed that a bird (a parrot, maybe?) flew into her face  during the 90210 years, and finally convinced her to get a nose job. Yeah...no. Bullshit. 

And I guess she got breast implants because she wanted to. That's all I got. *shrug* 

I was having this discussion with my friend the other day, you have this gorgeous women that get famous largely on how gorgeous they are and they make this choice to radically change their faces. I'm not even talking about the ones that are getting older and resort to botox or fillers but the young ones like Lindsay Lohan for example, she was stunningly beautiful and all of her work has aged her 20 years.

Well, part of what happened to Lindsay had to do with drugs/alcohol, but the work on her face certainly didn't help. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

Tori said in her autobiography (which I, um, used to own. *sigh*) about when she was a kid, and how she once asked her mom if she was pretty. Candy supposedly responded with: "You will be when you get your nose done." 

I don't care what they look like, you do NOT say something like that to your own kid.

That's the one that stuck out the most. In a lot of ways, her bio was self-serving, full of b.s., and making excuses for herself, but I believed the hell out of that, and I believe that's pretty much in a nutshell why Tori doesn't look remotely natural. (What's sad is that she looked great during her late 90's redhead era, but she decided to go back to the bleached blond look and has gotten weirder looking.)

But hey, we live in a world where parents will let their little kids get plastic surgery so they can fit in, so eh.

• Love 2

That's the one that stuck out the most. In a lot of ways, her bio was self-serving, full of b.s., and making excuses for herself, but I believed the hell out of that, and I believe that's pretty much in a nutshell why Tori doesn't look remotely natural. (What's sad is that she looked great during her late 90's redhead era, but she decided to go back to the bleached blond look and has gotten weirder looking.)

She looks like a Thundercat

• Love 1

I always thought she looked like that horse baby from Eraserhead all grown up, so I really don't see what the point of having work done was. If having a fair amount of talent at comedic acting and Aaron Spelling as a dad aren't going to get you what you want from life, emulating Jocelyn Wildenstein sure as hell won't.

The recent GNR reunion has got me wondering about Axl Rose, and what happened to his face. He's done something to himself, but I can't quite put my finger on it. It doesn't seem like a face lift, but there's something off about his face.

• Love 1

The recent GNR reunion has got me wondering about Axl Rose, and what happened to his face. He's done something to himself, but I can't quite put my finger on it. It doesn't seem like a face lift, but there's something off about his face.

It hasn't been punched enough?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Honestly, I'm too distracted by his weight gain to notice anything else, LOL. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Aging is cruel for women in Hollywood but I think the point is that the plastic surgeries have gone too far.  Which is worse--celebrities with wrinkles or celebrities who are stretched to the point that they start looking like caricatures of their former selves?  I get it that the pressure is there to look young but in Meg's case, her surgeries have left her looking unnatural and a dare I say--a bit ridiculous but hey, it's her life.  People are being too unkind in their comments but I do understand why they're saying what they're saying.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 6

Aging is most definitely more cruel to women than men, especially in Hollywood. Lord knows no one is hinting that Sean Penn (who looks like a used rawhide bone) get fillers, or that real life Dick Tracy villain John C. Reilly smooth out his face with Botox and lay off the pizza and beer.

• Love 18
10 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Aging is most definitely more cruel to women than men, especially in Hollywood. Lord knows no one is hinting that Sean Penn (who looks like a used rawhide bone) get fillers, or that real life Dick Tracy villain John C. Reilly smooth out his face with Botox and lay off the pizza and beer.

Awwwww, damn! LMAO 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I just have to tell you that I literally laughed out loud at my desk at "looks like a used rawhide bone".  That is a completely accurate statement.

• Love 2

I think aging is only really cruel to guys in Hollywood if they were teen idols who didn't maintain their looks, as opposed to someone like Rob Lowe who really did stay pretty. That's pretty much the only time a man in the entertainment industry is expected to look forever young and fresh.

• Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I know what you mean, though I don't know if either example is really comparable to Meg Ryan. In her heyday she was "cute", America's Sweetheart, and she had some very ill-advised cosmetic work with lingering aftereffects. Her situation is more analogous to someone like Mickey Rourke, not in terms of image, but the bad plastic surgery "ruining" their looks and hampering career prospects.

John C Reilly never really had a "hunk" image, even in his younger days, but was more of "character actor" and no one ever expects them to look like Adonises. If John Stamos had started losing his hair and sporting a potbelly as he got older, then I doubt the tabloids and media reaction would've been kind. IDK, maybe Sean Penn was considered a sex symbol a long time ago, but he's evolved into a serious actor/activist and as such doesn't get flack for his physical appearance not being what it once was. Johnny Depp on the other hand, outside of his legal imbroglios, has taken his share of heat for aging badly in recent years. Tom Cruise showed up at the BAFTAs earlier this year and well, here are the first five links Google gave me:

Tom Cruise's Face at BAFTAs Prompts Twitter Reaction: See Why (US Magazine)
Tom Cruise's 'puffy' face at BAFTA 2016 sends Twitter wild (Daily Mail)
The Internet Turns On Tom Cruise After His Face Shocks At The 2016 BAFTA Awards! (Perez Hilton)
‘What has Tom Cruise done to his face?’ Actor sparks plastic surgery riddle at BAFTAs (The Sun)
Tom Cruise Botox Face Stuns BAFTA Awards (National Enquirer)

I do think female stars face more criticism about their looks and pressure to stay eternally youthful, but men in the limelight aren't immune from it. I think men often get more "subtle" tweaks, like lasers/fillers and hair transplants which allows them to fly under the radar a bit more on that front. There's more of conversation surrounding cosmetic work with female celebrities, on both sides. Renee Zellweger and Meg Ryan have their detractors but also people rushing to their defense and it's part of a broader conversation about sexism, ageism, etc. that women face in show business. Kenny Rogers and Sylvester Stallone are on their own.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 7

I think performers who are known best for being attractive are the first ones to get pounced on when they are no longer so either by time or design.  "Character" actors on the other hand just go on and on whether they're male or female.

• Love 4
(edited)

I don't think the treatment men get in Hollywood is even remotely comparable to the treatment of women.

Sure, Mickey Rourke has ruined his looks or whatever but then was given the starring role in The Wrestler which was a big Oscar movie.

Men can look like shit/ ugly /botoxed/ ruin their looks/ look like Sean Penn and it straight up DOES NOT MATTER in terms of career prospects.  People might discuss their looks a tiny bit but the main conversation will be about their talent.

With women, the main conversation about them is their looks - whether young, old , beautiful, ugly, fat, thin,  botoxed, surgeried, what have you.  "Character actor" or not.  And I'm sure the market for "Weird/ugly character actor" is far, far, far huger for males (John C. Reilly , Steve Buscemi, etc.) than it is for women (....  ..... Patricia Clarkson?  She's quite goodlooking.)

The only person who seems to get around this is somebody whose talent is unmatched or has been a chameleon in dozens of movies for forever like a Meryl Streep or a Glenn Close.  Whenever people talk about Helen Mirren it is always about her goddamn bikini body or sexual attractiveness or whatever.  People don't bring that up with Jack Nicholson or Morgan Freeman or Ian McKellen.  They are allowed to be human beings with other traits and facets of their humanness.

Also, (this is just my experience and opinion) but women treat Hollywood men in a vastly different manner than men treat Hollywood women.  Old, ugly men in Hollywood will always have people who find them attractive and like their looks because that is very acceptable in the culture.  I have a friend who always makes it clear how attracted she is to John C. Reilly or Steve Buscemi.  That's great, but that only adds to this conversation.  I don't think it's equal in terms of men seeking out the weirder looking women in Hollywood to be their crush.  I assume it's women like Emily Ratajkowski. who was in  Gone Girl, the Entourage movie, and the Blurred Lines video (who even male celebrities tweet about and praise) or like, Jennifer Lawrence.  I am just ready now for somebody to say "But Steve Buscemi IS really attractive!!!!!" because I always get a bunch of retorts like that when I discuss this topic, but I think that attitude only proves my point.  

Men can look like whatever, and it doesn't matter.  People will still consider them actors and personalities first, fully realized humans who can be discussed as such. Women can look 'perfect', but they will never look good enough not to get comments about it.  Unless like I said, you look like Emily Ratajkowski, which almost nobody does.

tl;dr, I really agree with Wiendish Fitch.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 19
(edited)

Sweet Christ on the crapper, need I remind everyone that in the early 2000s, John C. Reilly was cast as Stanley Kowalksi in a production of A Streetcar Named Desire?! Not as schlubby mama's boy Mitch (which he would have been ideal for), but Stanley, one of the sexiest*, most dangerous characters in fiction! A character played by the likes of Marlon Brando**, Alec Baldwin, Blair Underwood, and Aidan Quinn!

Sorry, that still sticks in my craw. Back to the subject at hand, if you make the mistake of going to comments sections on YouTube for talk show interviews where the interviewee is a woman over 35, there will always, always, always be pages long arguments about whether she looks good due to plastic surgery or make-up. If she's overweight/underweight/too much make-up/not enough make-up/too covered up/not covered up enough, no one will shut up about it. But if the interviewee is a man over 35? If he's good looking, then he's just good looking, no discussion needed. If he's ugly as a bloodhound's kidney stone? Eh, who cares, he's funny!

Here's my philosophy regarding plastic surgery: whatever makes you happy to look in the mirror. In an ideal world we'd embrace aging... no, that's not right. In an ideal world, we wouldn't age, but we do, so there it is. People deserve to feel good about how they look, so if you can do that by aging naturally, then wonderful. Need a nip and a tuck? It's your body, no one else can or should tell you what to do with it.

*I'm speaking in terms of popular consensus; I find Stanley repulsive, quite frankly. Still, I can acknowledge that he is commonly regarded as a "sexy bad boy". Remember, there's a reason Stella can't leave him.

**Pre-obesity Marlon Brando, so save your retorts.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 13

Sweet Christ on the crapper, need I remind everyone that in the early 2000s, John C. Reilly was cast as Stanley Kowalksi in a production of A Streetcar Named Desire?! Not as schlubby mama's boy Mitch (which he would have been ideal for), but Stanley, one of the sexiest*, most dangerous characters in fiction! A character played by the likes of Marlon Brando**, Alec Baldwin, Blair Underwood, and Aidan Quinn!

Dear, dear God.

• Love 6
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Sweet Christ on the crapper....

Just wanted to let you know that I'll be stealing that for my everyday use; thanks!  I learn something new everyday at PTV.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 8

Some women just look better when they age more than others. There were a lot of comments about how in Captain America Civil War Spider-Man's Aunt May is sexy now because she's played by Marisa Tomei but she's 51.  Maybe she's had work done but it's not noticable to me. I think Tomei happens to be one of those women with a face that even with a a couple of lines and wrinkles on her face still looks vibrant. Robert Downey Jr(who she played opposite in 25 years ago in Only You) is the same age. In the movie they show an image of Tony Stark when he was young and CGI made RDJ look like he was when he was around the time of 1985 when he was a cast member of Saturday Night Live for a year. It made me realize how much older he looks now but he's still a leading man.

• Love 2

I wouldn't hold Helen Mirren up as an example of Hollywood shallowness. Yes, there was briefly talk about her looking great in a revealing swimsuit, but that was mostly about the novelty since it's not generally something that can be said about anyone in their late 60s. Almost all the press I've ever seen about her is about the great acting she's done in movies like The Queen or how generally awesome she is. I think she's in that rarefied Meryl Streep category where talent takes precedence over everything else.

• Love 13
(edited)

I still think that way too many people give her credit for how she looks - or talk about her looks in general - when really, she doesn't need every straight male to approve how "good" she looks.

And I still do not think that this phenomenon happens with any other male actor her age.

Helen is 70 btw, and yes, I see a looooooooot of press about her looks and her bikini body.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I don't think Helen Mirren is upset that people comment on how good she looks.  I think she might get embarrassed sometimes though, but when all is said and done, she can't help it if she's 70 and sexy.  Neither can the men (and women, btw) who comment on it.

Harrison Ford (73) and Richard Gere (66) get comments about their looks at their age.  There are quite a few in their 60s who get comments like Denzel, Kevin Costner, Pierce Brosnan.  Robert Redford is 79, for chrissakes, and he still gets swoons.   

• Love 6

I remember someone saying at the old site many years ago that that they think Robert Redford was traumatized by seeing himself next to Brad Pitt, and that's why he got such bad plastic surgery something at the turn of the century.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I read a recent People magazine article about Christie Brinkley re-entering the dating game at age 62. I have to respect her crazy healthy lifestyle, the fact that she at least owns to getting fillers, and she had my sympathy 10 years back when her scuzzy then-husband had an affair with his teenaged intern.

Still, a visible double standard appeared in the form of a picture of Brinkley alongside boyfriend John Mellencamp; she looked almost eerily youthful, whereas Mellencamp looked tired, gray, wheezy, and has gained enough weight so that it looks like his neck has vanished. You could argue that Brinkley is a model and there's more pressure on her to have a daily chug from the Fountain of Youth, but I will bet you anything that no one - no one!- would ever, ever give Mellencamp (irrelevant or not) grief for letting himself go and looking like the 67-year-old man that he is. Meanwhile, if poor Brinkley one day decides to shake things up by skipping a filler appointment and treating herself to a donut or something, you just know there would be non-stop Twitter comments about what an old cow she's become, and "you won't believe how the 'other woman' from National Lampoon's Vacation looks now-WOOF!".

Go ahead, tell me I'm wrong.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 13
5 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I have to respect her crazy healthy lifestyle, the fact that she at least owns to getting fillers

This is interesting, because I thought that Brinkley was among the current exalted for aging "gracefully and naturally." 

Anyway, Wiendish Fitch, you're not wrong. 

• Love 2

In her book Why Not Me?, Mindy Kaling snarked,

"[When] actresses are asked in interviews about their obvious, face-altering plastic surgery, they say things like, 'Oh, I would never get any work done. Then how do I look like this? I'm just getting a lot of rest, meditating, and staying hydrated.' One of the the great things about women's magazines is that they accept that drinking water and sitting quietly will make your breasts huge and lips plump up to the size of two bratwursts."

To be fair, she's not throwing shade on actresses who get plastic surgery; she's basically implying that if they do, they should shame the devil and tell the truth.

• Love 3
(edited)

Mindy's had a lot of work done herself.  I'm not shaming people who do it.  I have to say, plastic surgery does make me uncomfortable and I don't personally like it.  It's not that I think it should be shamed - I think, like Mindy says, it's the dishonesty that sucks.  Hollywood pretending like their 'perfect' looks are naturally received, which in turn I think, shames the normal non-Hollywood human body and face which IS natural, or people's beautifully varied different ethnicities and backgrounds.  And what bothers me even more is that when I point it out to someone, and their immediate knee jerk reaction is "no way there's no way there's no way, that's just how she's always looked."  So the lies are really easily bought, and the denial effect is crazy-making.  I think I got halfway through the book - I was enjoying it!!  But never finished.  I should soon.

I agree though - since I was a young teen I've always wondered, is it standard fare for actresses' PR to tell everyone they eat whatever they want and just drink water blah blah?  I've written on these forums before about the disingenuousness of the fictional characters Grace Adler, Lorelai Gilmore, and the ones in Sandra Bullock's movies as all needing to eat like pigs and yet staying extremely skinny.  That's been a trope for as long as I can remember.

It's ridiculous what Jenny McCarthy has now become, but I'll never forget when she went on a talk show in the 90s and took out a black marker and started drawing all over some sexy picture of herself, showing everyone all the 'flaws' she has on her body versus how it was Photoshopped to the extreme.  The actual height of her legs, her acne, her thighs, her stomach, etc. It had an effect on me because until then I had never seen a female actor be so honest about this stuff.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

Funny that Tom Cruise is mentioned because I came into this thread to mention an interesting fact about him. I know that there's much more pressure on women than men in Hollywood to "maintain" their looks, but the industry has changed such that looks are much more important for both genders. Surgery, extreme diets, excessive workout routines are all part and parcel for anyone who wants to be in big money pictures. 

In any case, here's the interesting Tom Cruise fact: right now Cruise is older than Wilford Brimley was when Brimley was in Cocoon. :o 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, PatternRec said:

In any case, here's the interesting Tom Cruise fact: right now Cruise is older than Wilford Brimley was when Brimley was in Cocoon. :o 

LOL, I think Brimley is one of those people who was born looking old, like Ed Asner.  But it is an interesting bit of trivia.  :-)

• Love 5
(edited)
On 7/14/2016 at 4:02 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Not at all.  It's rare enough that the only instance I can think of without googling it is Wentworth Miller's story about how ugly things got on Twitter after he'd a gained lot of weight after Prison Break ended.  I also have a vague memory of a "shocker" at what Brendon Frasier looks like now, but I don't think it got a lot of traction because I believe it was before before Twitter was a thing.  But, yes, it happens to an upsetting extent to women--much more so than men.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

I also have a vague memory of a "shocker" at what Brendon Frasier looks like now, but I don't think it got a lot of traction because I believe it was before before Twitter was a thing. 

I watched the entire episode of Broad City where Tony Danza plays Abbi's dad, and didn't know it was Danza until I saw the end credits. 

5 hours ago, PatternRec said:

Funny that Tom Cruise is mentioned because I came into this thread to mention an interesting fact about him. I know that there's much more pressure on women than men in Hollywood to "maintain" their looks, but the industry has changed such that looks are much more important for both genders. 

My theory is part of the increased pressure on men, especially older men, is due to the rise of high definition.  While most women in front of the camera have always taken measures to look attractive (in addition to camera tricks), I assume men didn't really have to.  And now, those differences are more apparent.  

Thanks to social media, there's also multiple outlets where male actors' flaws are called out.  I have some sympathy for them, but not much.     

• Love 3
Just now, ribboninthesky1 said:

My theory is part of the increased pressure on men, especially older men, is due to the rise of high definition.  While most women in front of the camera have always taken measures to look attractive (in addition to camera tricks), I assume men didn't really have to.  And now, those differences are more apparent.  

Thanks to social media, there's also multiple outlets where male actors' flaws are called out.  I have some sympathy for them, but not much.     

I didn't mean to imply that we were anywhere near gender equality in terms of expectations for looks. My post was a poorly worded introduction to the Brimley/Cruise thing. 

You're right that high def and social media have changed things, and yeah in the past men could be sloppier than they are now, but all that same technology is focused on female actors as well and they def have it harder in that dept for a lot of reasons.

You're mention of camera tricks reminded me of something from way back. I was about 15 years old when Moonlighting was on TV. My girlfriend was obsessed with Cybill Shepherd and so she had told me several times about how they shot her with a soft lens compared to the other actors and once it was pointed out to me I couldn't not see it. But it didn't make her more attractive, which my understanding is why they did it, it just made me feel like someone took off my glasses anytime the camera moved from Bruce Willis's face to Shepherd's. 

I also remember being baffled by those commercials with Susan Lucci in them where she was in the dark but there'd be a beam of light across her face. 

• Love 1

There was a recent, short-lived TV show called Agent X that starred Sharon Stone, and they used the softer lens when the camera was on her.  It was jarring, indeed. But she supposedly asked for it, and was a producer of the show.

I feel like women adapted much more quickly to high def because they've always had to make investments in their appearance. Maybe I'm biased, but I can't recall seeing a female actor in high definition, and thinking, "Pull the camera back, please."  With some men? Absolutely. 

• Love 1

I often wonder about celebs having to live up to the expectations of photoshop. Since it's pretty standard to digitally manipulate the shit out of someone in photoshop for even the most mundane of magazines/blogs/whatever some actors will look "fatter" or "wider-jawed" or whatever. I suspect the only actors we all know what they really look like are Lena Dunham and Amy Schumer. 

I remember Jamie's photoshoot.  Had any other well-known actress done that before she did? 

19 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

And Alicia Keys has completely stopped wearing makeup!  Even in videos, public appearances, award shows, etc.!

Thanks for highlighting that - I'd read about this elsewhere.  I bet it's liberating!

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/14/2016 at 6:02 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I read a recent People magazine article about Christie Brinkley re-entering the dating game at age 62. I have to respect her crazy healthy lifestyle, the fact that she at least owns to getting fillers, and she had my sympathy 10 years back when her scuzzy then-husband had an affair with his teenaged intern.

Still, a visible double standard appeared in the form of a picture of Brinkley alongside boyfriend John Mellencamp; she looked almost eerily youthful, whereas Mellencamp looked tired, gray, wheezy, and has gained enough weight so that it looks like his neck has vanished. You could argue that Brinkley is a model and there's more pressure on her to have a daily chug from the Fountain of Youth, but I will bet you anything that no one - no one!- would ever, ever give Mellencamp (irrelevant or not) grief for letting himself go and looking like the 67-year-old man that he is. Meanwhile, if poor Brinkley one day decides to shake things up by skipping a filler appointment and treating herself to a donut or something, you just know there would be non-stop Twitter comments about what an old cow she's become, and "you won't believe how the 'other woman' from National Lampoon's Vacation looks now-WOOF!".

I largely agree, but it DOES get mentioned towards John sometimes, especially the fact that he still smokes (he smokes less than he did before his heart attack in 1994, but he's never outright quit--and it's resulted in some serious vocal decay--especially on his last album, although I still liked it, and even found the decay appropriate given some of the subject matter--but I KNOW he's gotten criticism about the quality of his voice nowadays). And being involved with Christie and his third ex wife Elaine, both models, have gotten some strange reactions from some.

Anyway, you're largely right, but I'm a huge fan of John and his music and I just wanted to put that out there. No offense intended. :)

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2

Kim Basinger's work isn't bad, but it is really distracting to look at her when she's in period films, like The Nice Guys. I mean, plastic surgery was around in the 1970's, but the work she had just made her unbelievable as a middle-aged professional woman in 1977.

On the opposite end, it was interesting to watch Florence Foster Jenkins and seeing Meryl Streep and Hugh Grant, who both let the faces age naturally. It's weird to see age spots and deep wrinkles on Hugh Grant, but I think his face is much more interesting.

• Love 5

The thing is, Kim Basinger is not a woman who needed plastic surgery. I saw her in a Michaels craft store years ago and she had a big floppy hat on, her skin was flawless and pale (the good kind of pale!) and she looked gorgeous. I don't know how it is that beautiful women are getting themselves into so much surgery. Of course, I have a friend at my job whose motto is, "if you're rich, there's no reason to be ugly."

• Love 1