Type keyword(s) to search

Plastic Surgery Run Amok, or Renee Zellweger: What Were You Thinking?

• Start Topic

On September 17, 2015 at 7:49 PM, methodwriter85 said:

So, with Bridget Jones 3 coming out, are they going to try and come up with some explanation as to why Bridget looks completely unrecognizable?

Renée Zellweger is not unrecognizable in the Bridget Jones's Baby trailer:

But perhaps I was distracted by her weight? And/or how a woman in her mid-40s has an unplanned pregnancy?

Pop culture dictates that a woman's fertility drops dramatically after age 35, so an accidental pregnancy in the mid-40s makes a lot more sense than one in the 20s or 30s because most women don't believe they can get pregnant in their 40s without medical intervention.  

• Love 4
On July 17, 2016 at 9:37 AM, Shannon L. said:

I also have a vague memory of a "shocker" at what Brendon Frasier looks like now, but I don't think it got a lot of traction because I believe it was before before Twitter was a thing. 

Brendan Fraser is in season 3 of Showtime's The Affair, so he'll be back under intense scrutiny. (I recall snark about his weight & hairline, rather than any plastic surgery.)

7 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Pop culture dictates that a woman's fertility drops dramatically after age 35, so an accidental pregnancy in the mid-40s makes a lot more sense than one in the 20s or 30s because most women don't believe they can get pregnant in their 40s without medical intervention.  

I mean, it does happen. My mom had me as a "surprise" baby when she was 39, back in the 1980's when fertility stuff was still pretty much in its infancy. Everyone thinks she's my grandmother.

Her work "settled", I think. She does look more like herself.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

That could be it.  The photo Hugh Grant was shown (from the nose up only) certainly did not look like her, so I'm not surprised he didn't recognize her (or perhaps he feigned that for effect).  But the HuffPo piece she allegedly wrote (maybe her publicist did) is a confused jumble.  Notice that she doesn't ever deny plastic surgery.  She writes:

Not that it’s anyone’s business, but I did not make a decision to alter my face and have surgery on my eyes.

What would have been so hard about making a statement that she had medically necessary surgery on her eyelids?  It may not be anybody's business, technically, but when you're a public figure who trades at least in part on appearance, stop being so outraged when people notice that appearance has changed in a way that's consistent with surgery.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, editorgrrl said:

Renée Zellweger is not unrecognizable in the Bridget Jones's Baby trailer:

But perhaps I was distracted by her weight? And/or how a woman in her mid-40s has an unplanned pregnancy?

Okay, I get that fertility decreases and you might get careless but (and maybe this is just a relic of me taking sex ed in the early- to mid-90s at the height of the AIDS awareness campaigns with such heavy emphasis on safety) if you're having casual sex with multiple partners WRAP IT UP!!

• Love 10
On 9/1/2016 at 10:55 AM, dusang said:

Okay, I get that fertility decreases and you might get careless but (and maybe this is just a relic of me taking sex ed in the early- to mid-90s at the height of the AIDS awareness campaigns with such heavy emphasis on safety) if you're having casual sex with multiple partners WRAP IT UP!!

Agreed, though I think these days wrapping it up is more about birth control than concern about STDs (the latter is also easier to hide).  And if you think you're too old to get pregnant... 

On 9/1/2016 at 8:08 AM, Inquisitionist said:

What would have been so hard about making a statement that she had medically necessary surgery on her eyelids?  It may not be anybody's business, technically, but when you're a public figure who trades at least in part on appearance, stop being so outraged when people notice that appearance has changed in a way that's consistent with surgery.

On the one hand, I respect their sense of privacy about this.  On the other, I wish celebrities would be more forthcoming about it since the general populace, especially the younger set, tends to believe these people are naturally more attractive/aging well. And some are.  But I'll always believe those who haven't had some kind of work done are in the minority. 

• Love 2

Now that I think about it, Renee's name should probably be removed from the title of this thread. As time has gone on, it's become pretty clear that whatever work was done on her was an effort to protect her eyesight (as hooded eyed people are often forced to get), rather than anything cosmetic, especially since I don't think she's really gotten anything else.

OTOH, her Suspiciously Specific Denial (TM) (Thanks, TV Tropes.org!) recently about any face/eye work is just that to me--suspiciously specific. And kind of dumb--we're not blind, Renee! It's like trying to deny that Taylor Swift has recently gotten breast implants--I have eyes, ladies. I can SEE the difference plain as day.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2

I keep forgetting that Olivia Munn was supposed to be a thing for about 15 minutes a couple of years ago.

I'm watching the Roast of Rob Lowe, and DAMN he looks great. He seems to get that the best plastic surgery is subtle. His face can still move and he generally still looks like himself.

• Love 5
On 11/26/2016 at 11:57 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Is it sad I was about to ask, "Who the hell is Olivia Munn?" (Seriously, I don't remember her. And here I thought 44 was still too young to become culturally clueless. Heh.)

I had to ask, too  :)  BTW:  I've been culturally clueless for years now (with exceptions of course--I'm not completely unaware), and believe me, ignorance really can be bliss when it comes to enjoying entertainment. 

• Love 4

I felt the need to bring her up, because she had her defenders in this thread who insist it isn't true.  But she's gotten even more plastic surgery now. I think it's undeniable.

3860675b6121fa9.jpgOlivia-Munn-Vanity-Fair-Oscar-Christian-Louboutin-1.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

She was really cute, I agree.  And that's what makes me so sad about all of the changes.  Somebody who is 'making' it in Hollywood, half-Chinese, freckled, non-typical, and yet she's trying her hardest to make herself look as typical as possible.

Your breasts don't get bigger through weight loss, FYI

ewrew.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

She's not a movie star, more like a t.v. star, but I've gotta hand it to Lori Loughlin for having the restraint to get a B-cup boob job instead of going larger. As flat as she was, going beyond a C-cup just would have been too much. I do think she probably would have been better off laying off the tanning, but overall, she looks great.

I thought about this while evaluating the possible work done by the "grown-ups" of the Full/Fuller House cast. John Stamos honestly had really good, tasteful work. Pretty subtle. You kind of figure something's been done, but you can't exactly point to it, which is the hallmark of a really good job, in my opinion.

• Love 5

One of my coworkers said it was really hard to concentrate on Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life because of the work that Lauren Graham had.  (Making matters worse, my coworker had consumed Season 7 right beforehand, so the immediate transition was shocking.)  It's so sad!  She's such a naturally beautiful woman.  It's sad that she felt the pressure to go there.  I still loved the reboot though.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

I'm not a Gilmore Girls person at all, have not seen one episode, but I did notice Lauren Graham looked, um, plastic. These fillers make people look like they are sculpted by Mattel and it's just unsettling.

I watched Lion. Nicole Kidman is actually able to move her face again. Color me shocked. I am so used to her frozen, plastic porcelain look that it was strange seeing her look like a normal person.

Women have such a damned if they do, damned if they don't. They basically have to keep nipping and tucking to stay in demand, but if they go too far, they're uncastable like Meg Ryan or Cher because they're hard to believe as normal women over the age of 50 who are mothers of adult children, grandmothers, etc etc. People like Meryl Streep, Helen Mirren, Sally Field who DIDN'T fuck up their face usually get those parts instead.

Although sometimes it works for the character. Kim Basinger's work actually worked for Elena in 50 Shades. She was almost uncomfortable to look at, though. And her work just made it hard to buy her in The Nice Guys, which is a period piece. Facelifts and all that existed then, but extensive plastic surgery didn't fit her character.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
On 2/13/2017 at 0:10 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Women have such a damned if they do, damned if they don't. They basically have to keep nipping and tucking to stay in demand, but if they go too far, they're uncastable like Meg Ryan or Cher

YMMV, but I think Cher looks fine. Or, at least, her real life personality is over the top enough where whatever work she's had done on her face doesn't really bother me. 

• Love 1

My god, Susan Sarandon's work is incredible:

The mark of a good facelift is that she still retains the ability to move her face, and most importantly, she looks like herself.

Well-done, surgeon. Well-done. It makes an interesting contrast to Jessica Lange, who's work was not so good. (It's not the worst I've seen, but it's pretty obvious.)

I still can't get over how awful Kim Basinger looked in 50 Shades Darker and The Nice Guys. I hope her work eventually settles.

• Love 10
(edited)

I watched Lion. Nicole Kidman is actually able to move her face again. Color me shocked. I am so used to her frozen, plastic porcelain look that it was strange seeing her look like a normal person.

I'm happy to hear that. I haven't been able to look at her since Moulin Rouge because her frozen face just terrified me.

Someone was mentioning that Seth MacFarlane has had work done and I couldn't tell from his photos. Has he? I know male plastic surgery tens to be more subtle sometimes...

Here's my big question - has Betty White ever had work done? I was just thinking the other day about how wonderful she looks and how much I admire her for managing to stay in the industry so many decades and continuing to be a wonderful performer...and now I find myself wondering if she too succumbed in some small way. It wouldn't change my opinion of her, of course, but this thread is making me realize practically everyone has had something done.

And a shit ton of filler.

I think Lauren Graham's a great actress and I really is respect her but I have to agree that she has had work done. I remember tuning into Parenthood one time just to see what it was about and being really caught off guard by the strange stuff happening with her face. It's not the worst ever but it's definitely noticeable. I think by the time they were filming the revival of Gilmore Girls it was a combination of aging and weight gain and the weird fillers that resulted in her looking strangely bloated and waxy. And it really bums me out because the wonderfully photoshopped ads for the revival actually made her look terrific next to Alexis Bledel in all her flawless beauty. But then watching the show it really seems preposterous that Lorelai would be uncertain about whether or not she and her man wanted to have kids considering she already looked like she could be a grandmother.

I realize weaves are not considered plastic surgery, but I've always wanted someone to explain to me what a "hair system" is. I heard once that Ian Somerhalder from Vampire Diaries had a hair system and I have no clue what that entails.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I read that Betty White had a facelift between the first two seasons of Golden Girls (the same article says Rue and Bea did as well-did they get a group rate?) but I don't know about any work otherwise.

I was listening to a podcast about the Golden Girls (Out on the Lanai) and they mentioned that Estelle Getty got a facelift between seasons, which was a particular problem since she was already significantly younger than her character.  But it worked well for the flashback scenes where she was young.  It's funny, the idea of a "face lift" seems so crude now -- to do the whole face seems so non-specific!!

• Love 2

Has Demi Lovato had something done, or is it just makeup? When I first saw her video for "Sorry, Not Sorry", I actually thought it was Shania Twain at first. Does she look different to anybody else?

a4eddba8ba6b1ce6ae76530105aac286.1000x10

Right now I'm watching a Lifetime tv show called "Psycho Wedding Stalker" (lol) and Joan Van Ark is playing a crazy aunt or something.  I hadn't seen her since the 80s and it looked like she had some work done back then, but now she looks hideous.   I had to jump back when I first saw her.

19 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Right now I'm watching a Lifetime tv show called "Psycho Wedding Stalker" (lol) and Joan Van Ark is playing a crazy aunt or something.  I hadn't seen her since the 80s and it looked like she had some work done back then, but now she looks hideous.   I had to jump back when I first saw her.

I watched parts of Psycho Wedding Crasher, and only got that it was Joan Van Ark by recognizing her voice.  But the only time I saw her was in the beginning, and her face was largely obscured by that bad wig.  I know Ms. Van Ark had some scary-looking work done about 15-20 years ago, IIRC; but I thought in this particular instance she was supposed to look awful anyway. She's another one that was really, really pretty until she started messing around with her face.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, harrie said:

I watched parts of Psycho Wedding Crasher, and only got that it was Joan Van Ark by recognizing her voice.  But the only time I saw her was in the beginning, and her face was largely obscured by that bad wig.  I know Ms. Van Ark had some scary-looking work done about 15-20 years ago, IIRC; but I thought in this particular instance she was supposed to look awful anyway. She's another one that was really, really pretty until she started messing around with her face.

Yeah, I know she was supposed to look awful in that wig anyway, but I guess she just decided to take that face and roll with it, lol.  I agree she was once really pretty.  I haven't seen her in anything recently, although I read that she reprised her role on the canceled Dallas reboot.  I hate to say it but with that face, she's probably taking whatever part she can get. 

22 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Oh yeah. She's an example of someone who didn't know when to stop when it came to plastic surgery. She looks like a melted corpse. 

On 8/31/2016 at 5:44 PM, ribboninthesky1 said:

On 9/1/2016 at 0:54 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I mean, it does happen. My mom had me as a "surprise" baby when she was 39, back in the 1980's when fertility stuff was still pretty much in its infancy. Everyone thinks she's my grandmother.

My mom had her last kid in her 40s. She didn't start having kids until 35. Her mom had her last kid at 47. The popular wisdom about fertility dropping after 35 is based on bad data.

I'm less inclined to blame actors faces looking strange to plastic surgery these days. I feel like actors are less likely to make permanent changes to their faces if they can't find the absolute best surgeon out there. What people seem to really be doing is a ton of contouring, botox, and fillers. Ugh, fillers. They are their own problem. So much filler.

• Love 1

I find Ivana Trump's latest appearance to be rather shocking. She looked just fine but then she underwent radical plastic surgery around the time Donald was moving on to Marla Maples. Now she's pumped that second version full of fillers so she's unrecognizable from either of her two former faces.

• Love 5

Beyonce very obviously got her lips done around the time of the birth of her twins and probably some other stuff.  She looks even more different.  (She's obviously had a lot done since Destiny's Child days).  Her fans claim it is part of the pregnancy (LOL) but um, lips don't suddenly get bigger after your second pregnancy.

Now that actresses are all giving their statements on Weinstein, Lea Seydoux released a great one and said "All actresses are getting Botox at age 30."  I just really appreciate the honesty.  These things should be spoken about honestly and openly, instead of the knee-jerk reaction that it's not happening, the constant gaslighting, the "No, Gwen Stefani is just aging really well" horseshit.  Your nose (and your ears) gets BIGGER as you age - not smaller like a lot of people insist when they see all of the obvious Hollywood nosejobs.

At my workplace, a lot of the women go and get lip injections, steroids, Botox and speak about it openly.  One of them is 27.  A woman I know who is younger than me - she is 31 - got Botox.  This was a total shock to me, that a woman younger than myself would even consider it.  But this is reality.  And I work in the tech industry, not Hollywood, and trust me, we're not making much.  I could say it's an epidemic, but it's been going on for so long.  It's like a new, sad reality.  The popularity of the Kardashians didn't help much.  I feel like a lot of women out there find them to be some kind of standard to hold themselves up to.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
On 2/17/2017 at 5:22 PM, UYI said:

YMMV, but I think Cher looks fine. Or, at least, her real life personality is over the top enough where whatever work she's had done on her face doesn't really bother me. 

I love Cher, but when I saw her face 30 feet tall on the movie screen in Burlesque she looked like that puppet from the Saw movies. You could have easily taken a still photo from the filming of that movie and convinced me it was a poorly-done wax figure rather than the actual person.

Are we sure Susan Sarandon didn't take a page from the book of her character in The Hunger? I absolutely cannot see any signs of work having been done, though I realize it must have been based on the difference from her appearance in recent years.

• Love 1