Type keyword(s) to search

Plastic Surgery Run Amok, or Renee Zellweger: What Were You Thinking?

• Start Topic

On 10/22/2017 at 9:01 PM, Bruinsfan said:

Are we sure Susan Sarandon didn't take a page from the book of her character in The Hunger? I absolutely cannot see any signs of work having been done, though I realize it must have been based on the difference from her appearance in recent years.

Like I said, amazing work. I'd put her recent facelift right up there with Tiffani Amber Thiessen's 90's boob job. (I'm not so inclined, but even then, DAMN those are some amazing boobs.)

Although that brings us back to the title of the thread...what the hell was Tori Spelling thinking with her implants? It's a shame she's gone even more overboard since, but that right there was a sign that she didn't know how to pick the right surgeon. Did she like the enormous gap between her breasts? The hell? I'm guessing she probably met with a surgeon who told her she couldn't go too large because her frame was too small to handle D-cups, so she shopped around until she found one that did leading to the end result.

• Love 3

I had to come back to Renee Zellweger.  I recently saw an interview with Djimon Hounsou where he was discussing his new film, "Same Kind of Different As Me."  They showed a clip that contained Renee Zellweger and I had NO IDEA it was her until Djimon called her by name.  I think she may have out-Greyed Jennifer Grey.  It's unsettling.

• Love 1

Seeing Kate Hudson in How To Lose A Guy in 10 Days reminded me of of when she was flat, and how she probably got one of those small B-cup boob jobs.

Although maybe motherhood did slightly enlarge her breasts? Does that happen? (I'm not a woman, so I don't know.) I did read once about the trend of small, subtle boob jobs.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Although maybe motherhood did slightly enlarge her breasts? Does that happen? (I'm not a woman, so I don't know.) I did read once about the trend of small, subtle boob jobs.

Yes, it happens to a lot of women. Gaining one cup is nothing after you've been pregnant and nursed. A lot of women never go back to their previous bra or dress size even if they lose the literal baby weight.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, caracas1914 said:

My God I couldn’t get over the Dorian Grey pasted look Ben Affleck had in Justice League. 

I don't get it. He looked absolutely fantastic from Argo up through The Accountant. What the hell happened? (Well, okay, his marriage did fall apart so that makes sense.)

8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I don't get it. He looked absolutely fantastic from Argo up through The Accountant. What the hell happened? (Well, okay, his marriage did fall apart so that makes sense.)

So much alcohol. He's always been a big drinker but it's clear he's upped his intake even more the past few years and because he's not as young as he once was, it's really hitting him. Combine that with his muscle gain to play Batman and it's amazing he's even recognizable.

• Love 3

I watched a little bit of Snatched over the weekend, and poor, poor Goldie Hawn. Can't these women realize that they are already beautiful and age naturally? She could hardly move her face, it was super noticeable.

• Love 3
On 1/29/2018 at 2:40 PM, cpcathy said:

I watched a little bit of Snatched over the weekend, and poor, poor Goldie Hawn. Can't these women realize that they are already beautiful and age naturally? She could hardly move her face, it was super noticeable.

On the other hand, Meryl Streep looks great. If she's getting any work it's pretty subtle. But Meryl Streep was never really considered a sex symbol- her appeal has always been about the acting,, not about being a little sex kitten. I think she's helped a lot by the fact that she stayed pale for her youth, and she gained enough weight to keep her face filled out. (Going back to Catherine Deneueve's assertion that after a certain age, a woman must chose either her face or her ass.)

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

But Meryl Streep was never really considered a sex symbol- her appeal has always been about the acting,, not about being a little sex kitten. I think she's helped a lot by the fact that she stayed pale for her youth, and she gained enough weight to keep her face filled out.

Meryl managed to become a critical darling very early on so she was seen more as a Serious Actress. While she was never a sex kitten, she was cast in lead roles because of her beauty. Neither of her daughters received her looks, but for the first half of her career, Meryl was considered very beautiful and graced a lot of magazine covers:

Meryl_Streep_by_Jack_Mitchell.jpg

• Love 3

Let's take a moment to talk teeth: I'm not subversive, I appreciate straight, white teeth just as much as the next person, but I'm so above and beyond over veneers.

Look, if I could afford cosmetic dental work for nicer, whiter teeth, I'd go for it, but can't celebrities know when to say when so they don't look so phony and Uncanny Valley? I don't know who people like Tom Cruise think they're fooling, but it ain't me. Too many people in Hollywood are starting to look like cheesy, aging lounge singers. I recently saw Black Panther, and Chadwick Boseman, a dashing, handsome man, has slightly less than perfect teeth. I'm certainly not implying they're bad, and this is not a backhanded jab in any way; the opposite, in fact, because I think they give his face distinction and character. It doesn't detract from his looks one iota (I mean, surely y'all have seen Black Panther by now, right?). It's kind of refreshing to see a leading man who doesn't have teeth that look like bathroom tiles.

• Love 11
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:46 PM, editorgrrl said:

I just saw Nicole Kidman in a commercial for Neutragena wrinkle cream. Does anyone really think they can look like her at age 50 without a shedload of botox and fillers?

Her work does seem to be mostly just fillers, because in Lion she actually looked normal and was able to move her face.

• Love 1

At about 3:12, Elizabeth Olsen comes out and states emphatically that she's never had a nose job. I do remember people commenting on her nose and it does kind of have that Scarsdale button nose look, but eh.

I'm pretty positive that her sisters got them done, though. I don't think they've ever confirmed or denied that, though.

• Love 1
(edited)

I love the Olsen twins but they've done way more than that.  The most noticeable thing for me besides the nose is the work around the eyes.  They had work done to make their eyes more bulbous.  Around 2004.  I don't think this should be surprising, considering all the money they have.  Google says the first picture is 2003, and the second is 2004.   This is when the major transformations took place.

bb732177f23d7fbaa27c36833ff35dcb.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
On 5/13/2018 at 7:15 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I love the Olsen twins but they've done way more than that.  The most noticeable thing for me besides the nose is the work around the eyes.  They had work done to make their eyes more bulbous.  Around 2004.  I don't think this should be surprising, considering all the money they have.  Google says the first picture is 2003, and the second is 2004.   This is when the major transformations took place.

How does one do that? 

(edited)
On 1/31/2018 at 7:26 PM, Athena said:

Meryl managed to become a critical darling very early on so she was seen more as a Serious Actress. While she was never a sex kitten, she was cast in lead roles because of her beauty. Neither of her daughters received her looks, but for the first half of her career, Meryl was considered very beautiful and graced a lot of magazine covers:

Huh?  I thought it was common knowledge that Meryl was rejected for parts early in her career because directors thought she was ugly.

Case in point:  https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11988870/Meryl-Streep-told-she-was-too-ugly-to-act-in-King-Kong.html

I think her daughters are beautiful.  And I think it's kind of weird to imply that one of the most celebrated actors in the world got cast because of her looks.

@SmithW6079 changing the shape of your eyelid is really common in plastic surgery.  That's all it takes.  Simply Google Eyelid Surgery and you will see.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Huh?  I thought it was common knowledge that Meryl was rejected for parts early in her career because directors thought she was ugly.

Case in point:  https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11988870/Meryl-Streep-told-she-was-too-ugly-to-act-in-King-Kong.html

I think her daughters are beautiful.  And I think it's kind of weird to imply that one of the most celebrated actors in the world got cast because of her looks.

I did not mean to say she was cast only because of her looks. My quote was to rebut that while she was not a sex kitten, it helped a lot that she was very conventionally attractive. If you look at reviews for earlier movies including her breakthrough in the Deer Hunter, she was said to be stunningly beautiful.

I am a fan of Meryl's acting. She is definitely a character actor but I think her beauty also played into media frenzy she received in the 80s and got people sending her scripts. Her character's beauty and attractiveness is also a plot point in Sophie's Choice.

I don't mean to say her daughters are ugly but IMO Meryl is far more beautiful.

• Love 7
On 3/6/2018 at 1:14 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Let's take a moment to talk teeth: I'm not subversive, I appreciate straight, white teeth just as much as the next person, but I'm so above and beyond over veneers.

Look, if I could afford cosmetic dental work for nicer, whiter teeth, I'd go for it, but can't celebrities know when to say when so they don't look so phony and Uncanny Valley? I don't know who people like Tom Cruise think they're fooling, but it ain't me. Too many people in Hollywood are starting to look like cheesy, aging lounge singers. I recently saw Black Panther, and Chadwick Boseman, a dashing, handsome man, has slightly less than perfect teeth. I'm certainly not implying they're bad, and this is not a backhanded jab in any way; the opposite, in fact, because I think they give his face distinction and character. It doesn't detract from his looks one iota (I mean, surely y'all have seen Black Panther by now, right?). It's kind of refreshing to see a leading man who doesn't have teeth that look like bathroom tiles.

I am so with you on the teeth. The perfectly straight, blinding white teeth are so distracting. It stands out even more when it's a period or fantasy piece, or something where the characters are surviving some sort of harsh circumstances. Having a character covered in dirt, wearing torn clothes with neon white teeth makes so much sense.

• Love 5

Aaron Tveit had to get his teeth painted up to look more appropriate as a rebellious French student in 1820's France.

People who get really obvious work done stand out badly in period pieces. Everytime I saw Kim Basinger in The Nice Guys, I was taken aback because while facelifts and such were possible in 1977, her face just did not look like it could have possibly existed in 1977.

• Love 6
(edited)

There are moments when I'm positive that John Krasinki got a nose job, and then there are moments where I feel like he's still got his original nose. It's so weird. Maybe he just grew into his nose.

Best nose job definitely has to be Patrick Dempsey:

patrick-dempsey-nose-job-before-and-afte

All that really happened was some defining at the tip, and he went from Geeky Cute to hearthrob. He might have done that with just natural aging, but it did help. Oddly enough, the nose got more crooked but that just made him look manlier. I read that he did that to play Young JFK for a mini-series he did in the early 90's.

It's also funny to remember what Ian Somerhalder used to look like before he got his ears pinned back:

The-Rules-of-Attraction-Picture-Paul-Den

I kind of wish he had kept them. They were cute that way. I mean, I get why he didn't- once he got those ears pinned back circa Lost he started getting compared to Young Rob Lowe, but he had a such a cool, unique look back in his Young Americans/Rules of Attraction days.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

"How Jane Fonda looks so young at 80." Exercise. And plastic surgery. Lots of plastic surgery.

I will say that I can't think of any other 80-year old who has looked this good. She also must have been an early adopter of sunscreen, because her skin doesn't have that burnt to a crisp look that a lot of people who came of age in the 1950's through 1970's have.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
On 9/27/2018 at 12:01 AM, methodwriter85 said:

"How Jane Fonda looks so young at 80." Exercise. And plastic surgery. Lots of plastic surgery.

I will say that I can't think of any other 80-year old who has looked this good. She also must have been an early adopter of sunscreen, because her skin doesn't have that burnt to a crisp look that a lot of people who came of age in the 1950's through 1970's have.

She’s quite gorgeous I agree. I’d say Tina Turner at 77 is a close second. 

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/867653/Tina-Turner-musical-age-songs-2017-Proud-Mary-now/amp

But I’m giving it to Nicole Nicohls from Star Trek.

https://goo.gl/images/DWKCrp

shes 85! The work is so subtle. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

She’s quite gorgeous I agree. I’d say Tina Turner at 77 is a close second. 

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/867653/Tina-Turner-musical-age-songs-2017-Proud-Mary-now/amp

But I’m giving it to Nicole Nicohls from Star Trek.

https://goo.gl/images/DWKCrp

shes 85! The work is so subtle. 

Diahann Carroll is 83 and looks flipping fantastic.

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Diahann+Carroll/5th+Annual+March+Washington+Film+Festival/3tsswhyPM6d

• Love 7

Paul Newman was pretty subtle with his work, although I feel like in the last decade of his life he seemed to let it go. Still, dude looked like a heart-throb into his 60's, which for a blond guy who didn't stay out of the sun, is pretty impressive.

By contrast, I still remember the comments on TWOP about how Robert Redford messed up his face so badly. And it was a shame, because he seemed to be smart about his work before,

• Love 2

I cannot tell when Black people have had plastic surgery. Unless, they have had a nose job like Janet Jackson, her siblings and the Braxton sisters.

Diahann Carroll probably has had work done, but, I cannot tell. Melanin also tends to keep Black people looking younger than their actual age. Good black don't crack.

Are there any  renowned Black plastic surgeons in Hollywood who could address the specific needs of Black people?  If I wanted to have plastic surgery, I would want a Black plastic surgeon who would be familiar with Black features. Personally, I tend to side eye Black celebrities who have plastic surgery to eliminate their black features in favor of a European look.  That is another whole can of worms.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 11

I know it's not right, but I can't but feel a little satisfied when dudes in Hollywood get plastic surgery (Gary Cooper, Roger Moore, and even John Wayne got some at some point). Not because I think they should, but it basically lays bare that, yeah, men get old and lose their looks too, y'know? Vanity is not restricted to women.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I know it's not right, but I can't but feel a little satisfied when dudes in Hollywood get plastic surgery (Gary Cooper, Roger Moore, and even John Wayne got some at some point). Not because I think they should, but it basically lays bare that, yeah, men get old and lose their looks too, y'know? Vanity is not restricted to women.

You can tell Don Johnson did...something when Nash Bridges premiered. His face looked...smoother and he looked a lot younger than he did at the end of Miami Vice. Or was that just my television screen? By the third season, the usual cragginess?? returned. Man still looks scrumptious, but looks more or less not plastic surgeried, if that makes sense. And not as monstrous as Melanie Griffith or Robert Redford (my ❤️ weeps?)

• Love 3
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I guess I’m really stupid because other in circumstances when the surgery is SO BAD, when it comes to plastic surgery, I can never tell! Especially with male actors! I never thought Paul had any!

No you’re not stupid- that just means they had a good surgeon! I say you aren’t supposed to tell people have had work done, unless you know them intimately. 

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

No you’re not stupid- that just means they had a good surgeon! I say you aren’t supposed to tell people have had work done, unless you know them intimately. 

Exactly. It's kind of like make-up: the trick is to look like you're not wearing any (or, at the very least, no so much that it's a distraction).

Sally Field and Susan Sarandon went for the "less is more" approach, and they look fantastic as a result. 

• Love 10
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I guess I’m really stupid because other in circumstances when the surgery is SO BAD, when it comes to plastic surgery, I can never tell! Especially with male actors! I never thought Paul had any!

Other than rumors, I cannot find a definitive answer that Paul Newman really had plastic surgery.

Some people age well, and the some that don't are okay with that too.

Edited by Enigma X
  • Love 5

Lady Gaga's work in A Star is Born is super distracting. Not because it's necessarily bad but because I know what she looked like before and it doesn't fit the character she's playing at all. This no-name singer would not have her lips done, a brow lift, fillers and botox.

• Love 4

It's the problem I had with Virginia Madsen's character in The Haunting in Connecticut. She's supposed to be a stressed 1980's mother of a dying teenager with terrible fiances and yet her fillers game is on point:

movie-pic_001_806_virginia-madsen_the-ha

She looked fabulous but it really took me out of the movie to remember what her character backstory is and how it didn't fit her look at all.

• Love 3

I have friends who are actually watching the show "Friends" for the first time on Netflix and I showed one of them David Schwimmer now and he looks really fantastic.  He was just on Will & Grace - talk about a cast who's got a lot of work done.  David and Matt LeBlanc have aged the most gracefully from that cast (well I would include Jennifer Aniston but I know she's got work done for sure - I just still think she looks great, and she can do no wrong in my eyes).  Whatever they've done looks great.  Matt looks better now than he did on Friends.

I've also been binging 9 seasons of Modern Family and the work done by Julie Bowen, Sarah Hyland, and Ariel Winter is so heartbreaking.  The girls are so young I can't believe they have that much pressure.  It's so sad.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
On 10/6/2018 at 10:44 AM, Apprentice79 said:

I cannot tell when Black people have had plastic surgery. Unless, they have had a nose job like Janet Jackson, her siblings and the Braxton sisters.

Michael Jackson's plastic surgery will never not make me sad because he was so handsome after his incredibly awkward phase as a teenager. It is incredibly jarring (ignoring what vitiligo did to his chocolate brown skin) to watch Michael Jackson perform with his brothers at his 30th anniversary show, because they had seemed to have aged somewhat gracefully and he could barely move his face save for his mouth. Heck, seeing him in pictures when he was on the Victory tour is jarring, because he looks so plastic next to them.

• Love 7

I wouldn't say run amok on this, but TMZ has this picture of Vanessa Hudgens . Does that look like a butt implant to anyone else? I can't think why else there would be a perfect circle there.

image.thumb.png.49fe49b2dd0e65d5293b4ece19c3e205.png

Edited by GaT
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

What is the context of that? Was she coming from/going to the gym?  It could be a padded seat for biking. 

No idea, but she's not wearing gym shoes.