Type keyword(s) to search

Plastic Surgery Run Amok, or Renee Zellweger: What Were You Thinking?

• Start Topic

Gwen Stefani has had as much work as Renee, it's just that for some reason people buy it so much easier.  I have been following her career since 1995 and she is unrecognizable to me today.  Her work up until a few years ago was okay.  She still looked okay.  But her recent appearance at the Emmy Awards in 2014 was the scariest I'd ever seen her.  I was staring at images of her asking "Who is that?"  It drives me up the wall when media reports her looking so naturally young.  

MTI3_MTIx_Nj_M4_MDYy_ODc4_Njkw.jpg

For those who look impeccable for their age, may I submit Rachel McAdams.  Much like Stacey Dash she was in her late 20s when cast in a teen role - Mean Girls, 2004.  The goddess is 37 and today she still looks the same to me as she did in that movie.  

And in the Black Magic category I submit J.Lo.  I know that she's had work done, but for some reason she looks insanely, insanely good.  She works very hard on her body obviously and it pays off.   

I used to think Tom Cruise was aging well, up until recently.  I saw him on The Daily Show and eh.  He looks all melty.  I think he should embrace some aging.  The floppy brunette hair makes no sense for his age anymore.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

As much as I can't stand J. Lo, I have to admit she does look pretty fucking good. She's got a combination of good genes, good work, and a diet/workout routine that recognizes that you need a least a little body fat to still look good in the face.

Rachel looks great. If she's gotten any surgery, I really can't tell.

And then there's poor Lindsey Lohan, who tried to get surgery to fix the damage drugs/eating disorders did to her face and fucked it up. The blown-up lips looked horrible on her.

• Love 2

Gwen Stefani has had as much work as Renee, it's just that for some reason people buy it so much easier.  I have been following her career since 1995 and she is unrecognizable to me today.  Her work up until a few years ago was okay.  She still looked okay.  But her recent appearance at the Emmy Awards in 2014 was the scariest I'd ever seen her.  I was staring at images of her asking "Who is that?"  It drives me up the wall when media reports her looking so naturally young.  

MTI3_MTIx_Nj_M4_MDYy_ODc4_Njkw.jpg

Well, side-by-side she's obviously had her nose changed but I think a lot of the overall changes are make-up choices -- eyebrows make SUCH a difference to a face.  And she's lost (a potentially unhealthy amount of) weight, which she's probably balancing with fillers.

As much as I can't stand J. Lo, I have to admit she does look pretty fucking good. She's got a combination of good genes, good work, and a diet/workout routine that recognizes that you need a least a little body fat to still look good in the face.

There are times when she takes my breath away.  She has to be one of the most beautiful people I've ever seen.  In regards to the body fat on the face:  when I was losing all of my weight, a friend told me that (and this was also partially due to my age), that there would come a time when I'd have to choose between my waistline and my face and boy was she right!  I put 8lbs back on and look so much better than I did before.

• Love 1

Linda Hamilton apparently went the natural aging route and saw a lot of hard living in the bargain. She looked about 70 during her guest stint on Defiance last year, but I do admire her for refusing to bow to pressure.

• Love 1

I really wish Meg Ryan didn't do what she did to her face. Between that and the affair with Russell Crowe, it seems Hollywood/America really turned on her. But she was SO cute and I thought she did both comedy and drama really well. Would love to see her with a Sandra Bullock-like career these days. Shame.

Courteney Cox is another one who really did too much to her face. I still think she can look quite good but it's so clear she had work done that it's distracting. Her mouth is so different now and even her voice seems different because of it. She was so beautiful and I bet she would have aged well if she had let herself.

• Love 1
Courteney Cox is another one who really did too much to her face. I still think she can look quite good but it's so clear she had work done that it's distracting. Her mouth is so different now and even her voice seems different because of it. She was so beautiful and I bet she would have aged well if she had let herself.

I recently re-watched all four Scream films within the span of a week, and, yes, the changes to her face are quite distracting by the last one.  I haven't watched her in anything since that, so I don't know if she's had even more done.

I am always baffled why beautiful/pretty women mess with their faces. The Courtney Cox thing really is confusing. Also, I saw Kate Hudson on Fallon the other night and she seems to have been injected, she looks a little puffier around the face.

Edited by cpcathy
  • Love 2

Yeah, Kate looked so messed up, and she's so beautiful usually.  She almost looked like she was having trouble opening her eyes and speaking - she was all puffed up and her lips looked weird!

I'd say about 95% of all famous actresses have had the requisite nose job, which already sucks (IMO) but I come to expect that.  But then some of them get really addicted.  I think Courteney and Kate just follow what their family are into.    

Would love to see her with a Sandra Bullock-like career these days.

I am a big fan of Sandra Bullock so don't take this the wrong way, but I think she's definitely had some Botox, which I don't even blame her for.  I am a big fan of the movie Two Weeks Notice (2004 I think).  Hugh Grant does a DVD commentary with her and he said something like "Why do you look so weird in this movie?  You look Asian."  First of all, that's racist.  And second of all, embarrassingly, I think he's referring to her Botox but doesn't seem to realize it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Sandra does - she's such a fantastic looking woman.  Extraordinary, literally.  I never see women who look like her!  I also love her movies and her charm.

Meg was always liked for being 'cute' and 'moppet-like' and I think that's a dangerous precedent.  Seems she doesn't want to grow old gracefully.  It's like former child actors who don't receive the same attention later on; that's a dangerous recipe.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I just caught the new episode of x-files and found David Duchovny's face distracting. I haven't seen him in much since the series first ended, but there's  something amiss about his face. His eyes seem different, and at no point did his forehead move. He's had something done and I suspect he uses botox.

Edited by greenbean

I don't quite understand there being a whole spread devoted to analyzing Gillian Anderson's face for signs of Botox (I know, it's the Daily Mail) -- one of the things I loved about the first episode of the XF revival was seeing her forehead wrinkle like a Shar-Pei when she raised her eyebrows. 

• Love 5

My husband actually googles images of Gillian Anderson the other night, we were wondering how does one person's face get longer and thinner?

I agree, I think everything is sharper and thinner.  I think she's very attractive and I like her a lot (and boy do I realize she is popular) but that's what I see too.

Maybe Botox in the forehead, but it's definitely not a facelift. He has obvious age lines.

I'm honestly surprised at his restraint. If there was anybody I could picture over-using surgery to try to look 25 when they're 50, it'd be him. He's basically the male equivalent of Meg Ryan in that being boyishly cute was a huge part of his appeal.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

I thought Cruise was aging nicely - looking a little craggy, but in a good way.  To me he looks puffy now, and I don't like the look. I agree with the fillers theory.

Edited by harrie

Maybe he had a root canal.

I saw David Schwimmer on one of the Jimmys promoting the OJ show (American Crime?) a couple of weeks ago and he honestly looked like he'd had dental work -- his lower jaw seemed so puffy and weird.  When I mentioned it to friends they suggested new fillers but it seemed such an odd location.

• Love 1

Olivia Munn has released a damage control statement listing all of the supposed reasons why she just LOOKS like she got plastic surgery - because it's clear to everyone that she got plastic surgery.

This is the the last straw of me admitting I just don't like this woman.

Olivia_Munn_tenthings_6_Splash_380x560.j olivia_munn_aaron_rodgers_oscars_2016_04

Fillers in the face? Not sure what else she's done. I am so tired of attractive women effing with their faces. If you're attractive enough to get into TV/movies/magazines in the first place you do not need work done. Just knock it off. I think the last straw was Courtney Cox.

• Love 1
(edited)

Olivia Munn:  On the left is when she was cute and I was a fan (Perfect Couples and The Newsroom.)  On the right is her at the recent Oscars, now that she has dumped Joel Kinnaman (for not being a successful enough Robocop IMO) for Aaron Rodgers:

Untitled_2.jpg

Here's the article where she claims she's just been eating potatoes or whatever the fuck:

http://hollywoodlife.com/2016/02/24/olivia-munn-face-why-looks-different-change-before-after-pics/

Courteney Cox, that's an especially sad one.  She was so fucking beautiful.  Like watch Ace Ventura, or the first half of Friends, or the Springsteen video.  We were watching the 1990s SNL episode where she parodied that.  She was a goddess. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Here's the article where she claims she's just been eating potatoes or whatever the fuck:

http://hollywoodlife.com/2016/02/24/olivia-munn-face-why-looks-different-change-before-after-pics/

I thought the bolded was hyperbole, but nope, she actually went there: 

“4. I’ve talked about this before and I still stand by it: Japanese potatoes that are high in Hyaluronic Acid help keep wrinkles away. Look up this video: “Connie Chung Yuzihara” to learn all about it. There are Hyaluronic Acid pills and vitamins but I think that the best way to get it in your system is by eating them in foods that naturally have them.

Not just any potato, but Japanese potatoes.  Y'all, I love me some potatoes, so I look forward to my future flawless years.  Thanks for the tip, Olivia. 

• Love 1

Fillers in the face? Not sure what else she's done. I am so tired of attractive women effing with their faces. If you're attractive enough to get into TV/movies/magazines in the first place you do not need work done. Just knock it off. I think the last straw was Courtney Cox.

I was having this discussion with my friend the other day, you have this gorgeous women that get famous largely on how gorgeous they are and they make this choice to radically change their faces. I'm not even talking about the ones that are getting older and resort to botox or fillers but the young ones like Lindsay Lohan for example, she was stunningly beautiful and all of her work has aged her 20 years.

And perhaps Lady Gaga was insecure about her less than "Hollywood perfect" face but all of her work has made her look like a rich depressed 45 year old divorcee, people LIKED that she didn't fit the mold, it's what helped her garner so much fame and notoriety.  Why strip your face of all it's uniqueness?

• Love 2

I admit that I'm not great at spotting this stuff; but at least some the change for Olivia Munn looks like [drastic?] weight loss, to me. What's weird is that her jawline looks different. (And why would you change that great face shape??)

Yeah, all of those side-by-sides of Olivia Munn look basically the same to me except she isn't smiling as broadly and has more foundation to cover her freckles in the "after" shots.  If there is any invasive change, it's that her lips are slightly fuller.

• Love 2

I admit that I'm not great at spotting this stuff; but at least some the change for Olivia Munn looks like [drastic?] weight loss, to me. What's weird is that her jawline looks different. (And why would you change that great face shape??)

She definitely looks like she got her jaw/chin worked on, and she got her features Anglicized. (She has part Asian heritage.)