Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

Shriner's Christmas plea for money makes me teary and smiley at the same time. I love all the children singing, "I'll be Home for Christmas." And having spent a couple of holidays away from my family, even though I was an adult and I was only disabled by finances, that song has a special place in my heart, so seeing all the children talking and singing about going home makes me smile through my tears. 

And every year, I say, my all time favorite ad is from Miller High Life.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I'm having a hard time getting into the Christmas spirit. I think it's because I haven't seen the Hershey Kisses bell choir commercial yet.

Been running here for at least a week. THAT is how I know the holidays are here. That, and the M&Ms commercial:

Here it is for you (the end of a Geico ad is there first):

The M&Ms commercial:

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

This commercial made me smile, because it's a good use of "I Need You."  

I wish John Belushi was alive to enjoy this.

The song annoys me, so the commercial goes on way too long for me, but I liked some of the individual scenarios, like the woman singing horribly and loudly with her headphones on and the other passengers laughing at her, the guy doing a dance in the store, and the package laughing when the dog licks it.

• Love 4

That ad for the over priced stationary bike wasn't that sexist. The most sexist ad in recent years was the Gillette "toxic masculinity" ad. Didn't see many women acknowledge that commercial was shitty because it painted all men with the brush of all being jerks. The men didn't agree...Gillette lost 8 billion.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ambrosefolly said:

That ad for the over priced stationary bike wasn't that sexist. The most sexist ad in recent years was the Gillette "toxic masculinity" ad. Didn't see many women acknowledge that commercial was shitty because it painted all men with the brush of all being jerks. The men didn't agree...Gillette lost 8 billion.

Totally agree. That ad campaign (there was more than one anti-man ad) was one of the reasons I switched to Dollar Shave Club. I'm a woman, and was deeply offended by Gillette and the whole "toxic masculinity" thing. There will be no Gillette in this house: not razors, or shave cream, or deodorant.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Totally agree. That ad campaign (there was more than one anti-man ad) was one of the reasons I switched to Dollar Shave Club. I'm a woman, and was deeply offended by Gillette and the whole "toxic masculinity" thing. There will be no Gillette in this house: not razors, or shave cream, or deodorant.

Make no mistake, that bike ad was dumb as fuck, I just think of there have worse ads.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, elle said:

Holiday commercials from other countries!  Here is the Sainsbury ad from 2018.  Does anyone else have some we in the US don't get see?

Seems like quite a production for 1/4 of a song. Why don't they do the whole song? Let me see, here are some lyrics:

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Oh, I see...

• Love 3
On 12/6/2019 at 9:18 AM, Spartan Girl said:

This commercial made me smile, because it's a good use of "I Need You."  

I wish John Belushi was alive to enjoy this.

The little girl at the beginning playing the piano looks like she's from the '70s or something, and I find it very distracting.

On 12/8/2019 at 11:16 AM, peacheslatour said:

Seems like quite a production for 1/4 of a song. Why don't they do the whole song? Let me see, here are some lyrics

Guess we will put this one in the bucket with the cruise line commercials using questionable songs.

22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

They're not over here. 😭

December 15th is the last day of enrollment, so hopefully no more on the 16th.

New holiday commercial to me - The ad for Pandora jewelry with the dad surprising his flight attendant daughter on the plane is sweet.  

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, elle said:

Guess we will put this one in the bucket with the cruise line commercials using questionable songs.

December 15th is the last day of enrollment, so hopefully no more on the 16th.

New holiday commercial to me - The ad for Pandora jewelry with the dad surprising his flight attendant daughter on the plane is sweet.  

I thought it was Dec 7th? They stopped mid day on the 7th here in Montana.Maybe it is different in different areas?

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Useful 1
7 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I thought it was Dec 7th? They stopped mid day on the 7th here in Montana.Maybe it id different in different areas?

I think so. I saw several today. I ignore them. I'm usually doing something else when I watch TV. We are set with Medicare options.

• Love 1
On 12/3/2019 at 10:11 AM, icemiser69 said:

Is it my imagination or is Bob Ross really more popular after his death than before his death? 

Popularity picked back up a few years back, that's where most of the stuff came from.

Can't really say I've been in any holiday spirit lately, or in the past couple years come to think of it-- not seeing many holiday commercials here either, we've mainly just been getting bonked over the head with DIAMONDS DIAMONDS DIAMONDS!

Mucinex should really pull that Zombie ad they've been running since two days before Halloween too 🤷

• Love 2

I don't mind the diamond commercials. I LOVE diamonds, and have the jewelry to prove it. My husband teases me that I'm like a racoon who loves shiny objects. He's also the person who keeps giving me diamond jewelry. I'm always interested to see what new gimmick they come up with for Christmas. I think it's Zale's that has the love is all around you. I think it's a pretty necklace.

• Love 2
On 12/3/2019 at 10:11 AM, icemiser69 said:

Chia Pet commercials are back.  Awesome.  With the same dorky music from back in the day.

Is it my imagination or is Bob Ross really more popular after his death than before his death? There is a Bob Ross Chia Pet, Bob Ross toys, a key chain, PEZ dispenser, and also playing cards.

There's an official Bob Ross YouTube account with all the seasons of his shows, a streaming channel on the site Twitch and as you mentioned all other sorts of themed stuff. Some people use his show as ASMR to relax in general or enough to fall asleep.

My Mom used to hate those Chia Pet commercials and would look away or close her eyes until they were over.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Maximoose said:

Can't really say I've been in any holiday spirit lately, or in the past couple years come to think of it-- not seeing many holiday commercials here either, we've mainly just been getting bonked over the head with DIAMONDS DIAMONDS DIAMONDS!

That reminds me.  Has anyone seen the Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds commercial?  Or is that one finally retired?

• Useful 2
On 11/20/2019 at 4:34 PM, Silver Raven said:

I can't find the ad online, but there's an ad for TJ Maxx, Marshalls and Home Goods with this guy leading a crowd of happy people down an obvious set instead of a real street, but I love his joy while singing, and his bright red overcoat is a THING.

I love that coat (and the guy) and when I pointed out that ad to my husband, he said "If you actually see that coat, BUY it." 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

I will not miss the Walmart commercial with the couple shopping for Mama Rose and Mama Rose shaking her booty to the tune of a song that just goes "Get down, get down."

I find that one to be the least objectionable of Walmart's holiday commercials.  Get down with your bad self, Mama Rose!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I will not miss the Walmart commercial with the couple shopping for Mama Rose and Mama Rose shaking her booty to the tune of a song that just goes "Get down, get down."

I actually like that commercial. Granny having fun with the grandchildren....

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

This ad makes me laugh, even though the little girl goes overboard.

Thank you for saving me a step; I keep coming in on the end of this, and hadn't mustered up the interest to look up the context.  She's a bit extra, and, while I am terrible at estimating child ages, she certainly seems old enough to understand translation services only work on human languages, but at least the commercial makes some sense now.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
On 12/10/2019 at 1:11 PM, mmecorday said:

Also, the song is just so stupid.  

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Well, it was the 70s, so.......😉

Yeah, but from the snippet they play in the commercial it sounds like something they made up just for the commercial and not like any song I heard in the 70s.  It certainly doesn't sound like "Jungle Boogie."

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Yeah, but from the snippet they play in the commercial it sounds like something they made up just for the commercial and not like any song I heard in the 70s.  It certainly doesn't sound like "Jungle Boogie."

It sounds like Jungle Boogie to me.

• Love 1