Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

They've brought back those damned ads with the people in gorgeous houses who just go out and pick up a vehicle or two as gifts for themselves and in the case of one guy,, for him AND his grabby wife....can't remember the brand...I turn them off as soon as they pop up

• Love 10
On 10/28/2020 at 11:08 AM, peacheslatour said:

How very Christmassy. Bleh.

Goth Christmas trees?  Perfect for hanging skulls on the branches.  And Gay Pride Christmas trees to be all inclusive.  Nothing says Christmas like zebras; what, no cheetah print trees?

• LOL 3
On 11/4/2020 at 7:17 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Well, whoever is leaving non-postal stuff in a mailbox is actually breaking the law. It's illegal to use a mailbox for anything that wasn't sent via USPS.  Which doesn't surprise me there, either, that Hobby Lobby would encourage that.

So all my clients who left their keys for me in their mailboxes were breaking the law?  I'm astounded and am truly sorry that I was ever a party to law breaking.  Guess I'm just an outlaw!  😄

• LOL 6
On 11/4/2020 at 7:33 PM, chessiegal said:

Yes! I got a package from Amazon they said was delivered and I couldn't find it. My husband found it in the mailbox - it was not delivered by USPS. Amazon delivery people should know better.

Lord knows where the Amazon delivery person put your package.  Perhaps a neighbor found it and thought they'd put it in a more secure place.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

So all my clients who left their keys for me in their mailboxes were breaking the law?  I'm astounded and am truly sorry that I was ever a party to law breaking.  Guess I'm just an outlaw!  😄

Our mailbox used to be way down the road from us. All the houses down there were tron down for a gated community, so it was just our mailbox and our next door neighbor's on the rack. We complained and asked them to move them closer to our houses but they refused. Our mail carrier thought it was ridiculous too so we came up with the idea that she would deliver our mail to a mini cooler on our front porch. That worked for a while until we got a new mail carrier, who fortunately agreed with us so he said we could put a mail box at the end of our driveway. My husband built a stand at the end of our drive and put two really nice mail boxes on it. One for us and one for our next door neighbor.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
57 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Lord knows where the Amazon delivery person put your package.  Perhaps a neighbor found it and thought they'd put it in a more secure place.

Nope. I heard the delivery vehicle drive away. Amazon said the package had been delivered directly into the hands of the recipient.

I love the Christmas one for Kohl's where the little girl and the woman next door hold up notes to each other, then the woman disappears, and reappears a longtime later, and has a hospital bracelet on.     Then the woman writes a note asking if the girl received what she wanted for Christmas, and when the little girl says yes, you know that she wanted her friend next door to come back.   

• Love 16
4 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Oh, you renegade!  Yes, y'all were breaking the law.  However, I've never heard of a postal carrier reporting it.  But campaign people are very careful not to put stuff inside mailboxes. Technically, hanging stuff on the box itself is a violation, but using the post it sits on isn't.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 11/8/2020 at 12:11 PM, chessiegal said:

Nope. I heard the delivery vehicle drive away. Amazon said the package had been delivered directly into the hands of the recipient.

And they lie about where they deliver it too!

Bringing it back to commercials, I have to allow for the early onslaught of Christmas and Holiday ads this year because people will have to, as someone here pointed out, mail and online order for shipping their presents earlier to get everything delivered in time for Jolly Olde St. Nick and his Reindeer!  Retail never misses an opportunity, and in Covid-19 2020 they have a very captive audience.

Edited by CrystalBlue
Going back to commercials discussion.
  • Love 5

I've had more problems with USPS delivery than UPS delivery. UPS always brings delivery to my door. USPS sometimes does, but sometimes leaves item on top of mailbox out on the street (I live on a small lane 4 homes with boxes out on the highway). We have had mail theft and it is an issue, at least my mail lady is willing to come to me when she is on duty, but this is a problem.,

UPS leaves stuff on our porch but never rings the bell.  Fortunately my across the street neighbor always texts me that I had a delivery.  She's a better watchdog than a rottweiler.

I saw the caroling Hershey kisses twice yesterday.  It's officially Christmas season!  Yay?

• Love 6

My UPS driver always honks her horn when she comes down my driveway and I always go out to meet her.  The driver before her said it was a warning to the homeowner to get their dog (if they had one) under control before they got out of the truck. Here in MT dogs pretty much run loose all over.

On 11/8/2020 at 2:32 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I love the Christmas one for Kohl's where the little girl and the woman next door hold up notes to each other, then the woman disappears, and reappears a longtime later, and has a hospital bracelet on.     Then the woman writes a note asking if the girl received what she wanted for Christmas, and when the little girl says yes, you know that she wanted her friend next door to come back.   

Thanks for pointing out the hospital bracelet.  I hadn't noticed it and wondered why the nice neighbor had disappeared.  

• Love 4

I thought that was John Travolta!  I recognized the voice before I looked up at the tv.  I love when he asks Samuel if he's given up the naughty words how Sam subtly shakes his head while saying yes.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

I thought that was John Travolta!  I recognized the voice before I looked up at the tv.  I love when he asks Samuel if he's given up the naughty words how Sam subtly shakes his head while saying yes.

That's actually really hard to do. I was acting it out for my hubs and I had a hard time with it. Say "yes" out loud while shaking your head.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Me too.   It is an old one but a good one that will never get outdated.

I would like to see more of the old Christmas commercials.

The Norelco electric razor commercial used to be the harbinger of the season. I would love to see those again. And the Coke polar bears.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

The Norelco electric razor commercial used to be the harbinger of the season. I would love to see those again. And the Coke polar bears.

My mom and I both felt it wasn't the Christmas season until we saw Santa on the triple-head Norelco electric razor.

I remember one Christmas season when we were already off from school and my brother & I were in the living room, setting up the train set (it was HUGE) and Mom was in the kitchen baking cookies. She had the radio on to hear Xmas music. There was one commercial they played over and over and over for Bluebird "awr-INJ" juice. Listening to all that Xmas music and all I can remember is Bluebird awr-INJ juice.

• Love 4

Knowing how unhealthy it is AND a good number of historic and contemporary controversies re the company, I avoid drinking Coca-Cola as much as possible.

However, I have to admit that I always looked forward to their Holiday Season Polar Bear commercials (with my fave being the one in which they meet   normally Poles-apart neighboring penguins)!

• Love 4
On November 3, 2020 at 10:52 AM, QuinnInND said:

I like the Hobby Lobby commercial. It's sweet. 

I liked last year's ad better...with the  kid surprising his mom, who returns home after work to find the Christmas tree all decorated.

• Love 5

I have to complain about the short version of the Hobby Lobby ad. The young lady comes home, takes the package out of the mailbox, opens it, and smiles adoringly at it.  While wearing thickly knit gloves.

Besides the illegality of putting non-USPS stuff in a mailbox, there are two other things that annoy me... how the hell did she open that teeny package with freakin' winter gloves on?  And how can she get home to her front porch and have time to open a present OUTSIDE without needing a mad dash to the loo in order to pee? Even when I was a YOUNG woman, that was an issue for me.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Trey said:

Frito-Lay Favorite Things commercial  with Anna Kendrick is back again this year.  It's a good commercial.

I've about had it with their commercials where the kids are acting like horses asses and the mom hands them all bags of fatty, salty crap to bribe them into acquiescence.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, Trey said:

Frito-Lay Favorite Things commercial  with Anna Kendrick is back again this year.  It's a good commercial.

Maybe if Anna Kendrick really ate some Frito-Lay products she wouldn't be so painfully thin.

• Love 3

I saw the Hershey’s bells ad start today, but then suddenly it was a moppet and her dad, and the music was all wrong, and the bell didn’t go “phew!” and I am very angry with the Hershey’s corporation right now.

Not cool.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5

add me to the list of people who don't like green bean casserole. I just can't eat green beans. Apparently when I was very little, I loved them and ate them to the exclusion of most everything else (as little kids do). 

With the Treetopia ads, if I had a lot more money than I have and a lot, lot more space than I have, I would have several trees, some regular old green ones and some into unusual colors, pink in the doll room, a small turquoise one in my bedroom, something fun in the dining room. I like color. I am not a neutrals person.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

I saw the Hershey’s bells ad start today, but then suddenly it was a moppet and her dad, and the music was all wrong, and the bell didn’t go “phew!” and I am very angry with the Hershey’s corporation right now.

Not cool.

It's an abomination. (Although a sweet commercial, it desecrates the bells!)  Whew!

• LOL 5

Oh, goody. The 'Flashing Lights' J'Adore by Dior perfume ad with Charlize Theron is back. How many decades has this thing been running?

Also, LOL at Dior still using the Johnny Depp 'Sauvage' ad, I guess they need to get their money's worth out of that one.

• LOL 5
On 11/22/2020 at 12:34 PM, Kimmmmmm said:

I liked last year's ad better...with the  kid surprising his mom, who returns home after work to find the Christmas tree all decorated.

They've started airing that again, and I noticed something that I never noticed before. He folds the laundry in the laundry basket and ties a bow around it. I hope that's not your Christmas present to your mom, you little shit, because you should be doing that anyway.

On 11/24/2020 at 3:35 PM, mojoween said:

Not cool.

As I mentioned earlier, the bell choir is the only Christmas commercial my husband likes, and he thinks this is an abomination. I don't like it either.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, janie jones said:

They've started airing that again, and I noticed something that I never noticed before. He folds the laundry in the laundry basket and ties a bow around it. I hope that's not your Christmas present to your mom, you little shit, because you should be doing that anyway.

As I mentioned earlier, the bell choir is the only Christmas commercial my husband likes, and he thinks this is an abomination. I don't like it either.

I don't mind the commercial per se but they should have made it a separate commercial and left the kisses/bells alone.

• Love 13

I kind of like the new Mercedes-Benz holiday ad. I'm happy the plushie found a new home. That said, I first want him to take a spin inside the washer and dryer after being against the bug and bird turd encrusted grill of a truck. Plus, being on the snowy ground before giving him to the child.

Edited by InDueTime
Spelling
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

I get change is inevitable, but the new Hershey's Kisses Christmas ad isn't doing it for me. It starts with the classic bells but then, it's like, PSYCH! as it morphs into a horn (?) as a family makes cookies.

I guess I just want the damned Kisses as bells.

Hershey's, leave the classics alone, damn it!

Now get off my lawn!!!

On 11/26/2020 at 2:49 PM, janie jones said:

Whoops. Should have read this before I posted my mini rant!

• Love 9

Yeah that updated Bells commercial is annoying AF.  The original has been around for so long you automatically expect it to continue so it's really jarring when it changes to a completely different commercial.   

• Love 12
14 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I guess I just want the damned Kisses as bells.

Hershey's, leave the classics alone, damn it!

Same...

In our house, whenever someone is fast forwarding through the commercials, if anyone sees a flash of the Kisses, they literally shout, "OMG IT'S THE KISSES! STOP! STOOOOP!!!"

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

BTW, the new Kisses ad was posted by Hershey's on its YT account...and is now classified as "unlisted" on the video page [meaning, not part of YT's public search engine now]. Guess a LOT of people were not feeling the new 2020 Christmas commercial. Hope they change it back...

• Useful 7