Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

find schmaltzy Christmas movies depressing, not optimistic, so they have the exact opposite of the intended effect.  Well, depressing and enraging, as in I keep threatening to go all Elvis and shoot my tv when I see the never-ending commercials for the Hallmark channel's movies.

Same here. Ugh. But then again, there are very few innovative program/movie concepts coming out of Hollywood. The few that have been made in the last 10 years ---- Men of a Certain Age, Touch, Lie to Me --- have been cancelled after only a couple of seasons. 

6 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Jared/Zales (not sure which)- Santa seems to be shoving a Peloton down someone's chimney, then gets back in his sleigh and heads home to his palatial lodge-style house. He leaves an ugly little diamond-encrusted necklace on Mrs. Claus's night stand, then crawls into bed, where they nuzzle lovingly.

I don't hate this, but 1) the house is so fancy and modern, 2) he and Mrs. Claus look like buff, well-groomed 50-something suburbanites and 3) I dunno, I feel funny seeing them in bed together.

I guess Mr. and Mrs. Claus got fit from all the mountain biking and snorkling they apparently got into (going by the photos) since their last Kay ad.

Then:

Now:

15 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I hate what I'm about to say, but I'm rather liking the Jared's ads this year. I'm a sucker for close harmony singing, doo w**, barbershop, all of it. And, they've dropped the idiotic tag line, "he went to Jared's."

I might not mind it except it does say they've only been dating a short while.  So he shouldn't be buying Jared's overpriced crap for her.

I've been seeing this commercial a bit lately, where a teenage boy decorates the Christmas tree and does the laundry for his hard-working mother.  It's kind of sweet.  Until I see that it's for Hobby Lobby.  Ugh.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 10
48 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I might not mind it except it does say they've only been dating a short while.  So he shouldn't be buying Jared's overpriced crap for her.

I've been seeing this commercial a bit lately, where a teenage boy decorates the Christmas tree and does the laundry for his hard-working mother.  It's kind of sweet.  Until I see that it's for Hobby Lobby.  Ugh.

Is that the Jared ad where a young couple is out to dinner and the man gives the woman a gold necklace and says some thing like let's see where this goes?

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

This would fall under the category of "commercials we like for products we don't"  such as the "dads with daughters/Mets dad" commercial for that social media site.

Edited by elle
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Is that the Jared ad where a young couple is out to dinner and the man gives the woman a gold necklace and says some thing like let's see where this goes?

Yikes!  I just searched for that one, and it's creepy.  You don't smile and hug at something like that, you back slowly away from the table while blocking his number.  She'll need a restraining order within a month.

• LOL 5
19 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yikes!  I just searched for that one, and it's creepy.  You don't smile and hug at something like that, you back slowly away from the table while blocking his number.  She'll need a restraining order within a month.

Yeah, that's a bit much. My husband gave me a gold and diamond necklace for Christmas after we'd only been together for three weeks but we were living together by then.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

That's the one I saw.  Probably not the only one, though.

3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Probably not the only one, though.

It seems to be a series, with those singers, because when I went looking for the Future Stalker one, I found this one:

And this one which, for a Jared commercial, isn't horrible ("this may not completely rhyme" is funny):

3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It seems to be a series, with those singers, because when I went looking for the Future Stalker one, I found this one:

And this one which, for a Jared commercial, isn't horrible ("this may not completely rhyme" is funny):

Those aren't so bad.  The singers are good.

• Love 3
On 11/17/2019 at 5:32 PM, icemiser69 said:

The Coca-Cola snowman/polar bear commercial is pretty cute.  The polar bear cub puts a Coke bottle cap on the snowman to be used as its nose.

I was going to post about that one.  I don't like very many commercials, but I love the polar bears.

Edited by Suzn
  • Love 2

"I find schmaltzy Christmas movies depressing, not optimistic, so they have the exact opposite of the intended effect.  Well, depressing and enraging, as in I keep threatening to go all Elvis and shoot my tv when I see the never-ending commercials for the Hallmark channel's movies."

On 11/18/2019 at 2:28 PM, peacheslatour said:

I feel the same way. They're so manipulative, using the same tired plots over and over again. It's  cheap exploitation of peoples sentiments to manufacture warm and fuzzy feelings for profit. I know television is all about advertising dollars but to me Hallmark is dishonest about it and it's insulting. YMMV, of course.

ITA.  I hate those movies.  They are a cheap fantasy and phony to the core.

Edited by Suzn
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I've been seeing this commercial a bit lately, where a teenage boy decorates the Christmas tree and does the laundry for his hard-working mother. 

That's the sort of thing my grand-nephew does for his hard working widowed mom. Some day, he's going to make some woman an awesome husband. ::sniffle::

• Love 7
12 hours ago, seasons said:

Not sure why my cold, dark heart hates this schmaltzly commercial

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/d8a7/daisy-2018-holidays-dollops-for-generations

Sorry, Daisy. I think they try too hard or something.

I "like" how they have Daisy Sour Cream in writing three times the size of the rest of the recipe so we don't miss it.  I actually don't mind the commercial in general, but I find people putting food on someone else's face just about the height of obnoxiousness.

5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

This came on when my friends and I were watching TV and someone posed the question of, how long should you be dating before jewelry gets exchanged.  The general consensus is that it depends on how much money the person has.  If someone's so rich the jewelry is nothing, then it's no big deal.  So it seems less weird if you imagine that the guy is loaded.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, seasons said:

Not sure why my cold, dark heart hates this schmaltzly commercial

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/d8a7/daisy-2018-holidays-dollops-for-generations

Sorry, Daisy. I think they try too hard or something.

Yeah, the Daisy Sour Cream in bold and underlined in red on the recipe cards is heavy handed.

Plus: doo doo (a dollop of Daisy). Er, doo-doo? That's poop, y'all.

On the other hand, handwritten recipes I have from my mother, and old recipes clipped from magazines and newspapers frequently call for specific brand products (who knew back then that it was advertising?).

A fond memory I have from my teens is of my mother sending me to the grocery store to buy a very specific item: Old El Paso "Not" Enchilada sauce. She said it two or three times: "Not" Enchilada Sauce was the only option. She was in denial of the vision change that renders people over 40 unable to see close up. It was Hot Enchilada Sauce that she wanted. Hilarity ensued.

• LOL 9
13 hours ago, Ashforth said:

As stupid as it sounds, their commercials grate because the singer is pronouncing the word as "Day-See", even taking a slight pause between syllables.  I love Daisy Sour Cream and it's what I use when cooking, but that little thing just annoys.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Ashforth said:

A fond memory I have from my teens is of my mother sending me to the grocery store to buy a very specific item: Old El Paso "Not" Enchilada sauce. She said it two or three times: "Not" Enchilada Sauce was the only option. She was in denial of the vision change that renders people over 40 unable to see close up. It was Hot Enchilada Sauce that she wanted. Hilarity ensued.

Having grown up in Miami, I STILL have my Philadelphia accent I learned from my parents. I was a pre-schooler. My mom, in her housecoat, and I had just driven my dad to work. It was laundry day and we were out of All, the detergent my mom used. She sent me into the store to buy some and I couldn't find it. I went to the cashier lady and asked, "Do you have any All?" and she replied, "Cookin' oil or greasin' oil?"

This had been my first experience with a deep-south accent.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Having grown up in Miami, I STILL have my Philadelphia accent I learned from my parents. I was a pre-schooler. My mom, in her housecoat, and I had just driven my dad to work. It was laundry day and we were out of All, the detergent my mom used. She sent me into the store to buy some and I couldn't find it. I went to the cashier lady and asked, "Do you have any All?" and she replied, "Cookin' oil or greasin' oil?"

This had been my first experience with a deep-south accent.

I had a similar experience!

Also being from Philly, finding myself living south of the Mason-Dixon line, I worked in a pharmacy where a woman asked me for "the enema with the all". Confused, I repeated it back to her "..with the ALL?" she said yes. I walked her over to the correct aisle to look for it (still confused) and she found it right away..."There it is! With the mineral all" I was speechless.

Edited by SweetieDarling
  • LOL 8

I can't find the ad online, but there's an ad for TJ Maxx, Marshalls and Home Goods with this guy leading a crowd of happy people down an obvious set instead of a real street, but I love his joy while singing, and his bright red overcoat is a THING.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I can't find the ad online, but there's an ad for TJ Maxx, Marshalls and Home Goods with this guy leading a crowd of happy people down an obvious set instead of a real street, but I love his joy while singing, and his bright red overcoat is a THING.

I love when he sings" I'm making this song up as I go." That's Zachary Levi. His singing reminds me of Danny Elfman's in Nightmare Before Christmas.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I love that red coat. 

I like that commercial, too :). 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

• Love 5

Absolutely the new commercial for LOVE the new commercial for TJ Maxx, Home Goods and ???.  Zachary Levi plays the part so well!

It's new and refreshing and I love his attire...blue and red plaid with that red overcoat....I need to get that for my husband for Christmas...;)

On 11/20/2019 at 10:47 PM, ShortyMac said:

Not to mention, at the end, the long-haired wig on the middle woman is terrible. Takes me right out of it.

Are you sure you weren't watching a Hallmark movie?  The hair is always long, always curled; I sometimes think they are wigs.    

18 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Back when I was  a kid, my best friend (who is a year young than me) bought a Clapper for his parents.  They put it in their bedroom, due to their lamp being so far away from their bedroom door.  In any case, as a joke, every so often my friend would walk by their bedroom in the middle of the night clapping his hands to turn on his parent's light when they were asleep.

I thought that was going to be a very different story, since that thing turns the light off and on in response to sounds other than clapping.  So I thought it was going to be about a kid traumatized by the strobe effect going on in his parents' bedroom.

• LOL 11
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I thought that was going to be a very different story, since that thing turns the light off and on in response to sounds other than clapping.  So I thought it was going to be about a kid traumatized by the strobe effect going on in his parents' bedroom.

*snerk* That's where my mind went, too. I am a dirty old lady. 😉

• LOL 4
12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I have a "touch lamp" on my nightstand. I don't need The Clapper. I have Bosco's tail. He frequently turns on the lamp when he's sitting there, thrashing his tail, staring at me, willing me to get up & get out the catfood.

A billion years of tiger dna ready to pounce. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
On 11/19/2019 at 7:32 PM, Ashforth said:

well, as they put a glob of sour cream on each of the youngest's noses, they do say, "poop." And I wouldn't mind the commercial except for that "poop," they all do.

4 hours ago, friendperidot said:

well, as they put a glob of sour cream on each of the youngest's noses, they do say, "poop." And I wouldn't mind the commercial except for that "poop," they all do.

I thought they were saying "boop".

• Love 4
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:51 AM, WendyCR72 said:

The ET Commercial. Tears. Nostalgia. Henry Thomas was totally young Elliot again when he spied ET. 'Nuff said!

I hated ET when it came out.  Still do.  I fast-forwarded through this one.

12 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Chia Pet commercials are back.  Awesome.  With the same dorky music from back in the day.

Is it my imagination or is Bob Ross really more popular after his death than before his death? There is a Bob Ross Chia Pet, Bob Ross toys, a key chain, PEZ dispenser, and also playing cards.

I bought a tin of mints for a friend who's a big Bob Ross fan - they were Happy Little Tree mints.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
20 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Is it my imagination or is Bob Ross really more popular after his death than before his death? There is a Bob Ross Chia Pet, Bob Ross toys, a key chain, PEZ dispenser, and also playing cards.

My husband and I dressed as Bob Ross and a happy little tree for Halloween a couple years ago.  We won a prize-- a bottle of Fireball which I broke on the way home.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 6