Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

On October 16, 2020 at 7:10 PM, janie jones said:

I don't care that those movies exist and that people want to watch them. I care that Hallmark replaces Golden Girls and Frasier with them for two months straight.

I would rather watch ANYTHING than Golden Girls...detest every one of those harpies...and yes, that includes the sainted Betty White

• Love 2
3 hours ago, theatremouse said:

They usually charge several hundred dollars for the bows. That's why they make a point of saying it's not included.

When I was a florist, we made large bows for various Christmas displays. It would take team to make those huge car bows, so yeah, they're expensive as hell.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Useful 7
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

When I was a florist, we made large bows for various Christmas displays. It would take team to make those huge car bows, so yeah, they're expensive as hell.

I hate the Lexus December to Remember Sales Event Coronavirus Edition we're getting for 2020.  I hope they don't use it again.  About the bows, I think it would be funnier and cuter and hella less expensive to have little red velvet bows tied to each side mirror, maybe with reindeer antlers on the grille!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

There's a Liberty Mutual ad I really laughed out loud at.  It's Xmas morning and this kid is ripping open a large box. It's a big, yellow box.  "What did you get?"  "I got Liberty Mutual where you only pay for what you need."  The kid is ecstatic.  His brother says, dejectedly, "I got a bike" and his kicks it over in disgust.

• LOL 8
  • Love 4

Is anyone still seeing the original bell choir commercial? I saw it earlier this month but haven't seen it since they aired the fake-out one. It makes me wonder whether they were intending to phase it out. (Not that I think it would make sense. People seem to like it and they don't have to pay to make a new one.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

Is anyone still seeing the original bell choir commercial? I saw it earlier this month but haven't seen it since they aired the fake-out one. It makes me wonder whether they were intending to phase it out. (Not that I think it would make sense. People seem to like it and they don't have to pay to make a new one.)

I hate the new Hershey's kisses commercial because not only does it diss the original jingle bells choir commercial, but to me it's more PC pandering - every family has to be either black or brown now.  Not that I mind inclusion, but it's gone overboard, IMHO.

• Love 1

I hate the new Hershey's kisses commercial because not only does it diss the original jingle bells choir commercial, but to me it's more PC pandering - every family has to be either black or brown now.  Not that I mind inclusion, but it's gone overboard, IMHO.

This reminds me of something I read on Facebook. You know the Etsy commercial where the guy spends Christmas for the first time with his partner's family? Etsy posted that ad on Facebook, and someone commented saying it was "beautiful" or something, and someone replied something along the lines of how it shouldn't be "beautiful" that a company made a commercial like that, because it should just be normal. Presumably referring to the commercial featuring a gay couple. But I also don't think it's beautiful that they made the commercial, because it did seem completely normalized, to me. It was simply about a guy spending a holiday with a new family. They could have had the exact same commercial with a straight couple. (You'd have to have the same guy playing the family newcomer, though. That guy sells it so well!)

I don't personally think that inclusion can possibly go overboard, because that would mean there is a limit to the number of minorities we should be willing to see in the media. I also think that one person's "pandering"/"not normalized enough"/what-have-you is always going to be someone else's "finally!"/not-noticed-because-it's-normal.

Also, I can't remember if it was in this thread or another one, but people were complaining about a JC Penney (?) commercial that showed a family gathering, when people should be social distancing. I just realized that when the Etsy "welcome to the family" commercial was discussed, no one pointed out that that showed a family gathering as well. I think if the story is compelling, we don't notice!

• Love 12
19 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

There's a Liberty Mutual ad I really laughed out loud at.  It's Xmas morning and this kid is ripping open a large box. It's a big, yellow box.  "What did you get?"  "I got Liberty Mutual where you only pay for what you need."  The kid is ecstatic.  His brother says, dejectedly, "I got a bike" and his kicks it over in disgust.

That commercial is hilarious!

5 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Oh, for sure, families in commercials should be White. This inclusion thing is out of control! We need to see normal families, right? Not Black or Latino or Asian. No gay couples. No interracial families. Keep it all White, straight people, that's where it's at, y'all.

• Love 9
19 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I just saw this one for the first time today. The way the kid says, "I got a bike" reminds me of the way Charlie Brown says, "I got a rock" in the Great Pumpkin episode, which just makes it funnier :p. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, janie jones said:

This reminds me of something I read on Facebook. You know the Etsy commercial where the guy spends Christmas for the first time with his partner's family? Etsy posted that ad on Facebook, and someone commented saying it was "beautiful" or something, and someone replied something along the lines of how it shouldn't be "beautiful" that a company made a commercial like that, because it should just be normal. Presumably referring to the commercial featuring a gay couple. But I also don't think it's beautiful that they made the commercial, because it did seem completely normalized, to me. It was simply about a guy spending a holiday with a new family. They could have had the exact same commercial with a straight couple. (You'd have to have the same guy playing the family newcomer, though. That guy sells it so well!)

I don't personally think that inclusion can possibly go overboard, because that would mean there is a limit to the number of minorities we should be willing to see in the media. I also think that one person's "pandering"/"not normalized enough"/what-have-you is always going to be someone else's "finally!"/not-noticed-because-it's-normal.

Also, I can't remember if it was in this thread or another one, but people were complaining about a JC Penney (?) commercial that showed a family gathering, when people should be social distancing. I just realized that when the Etsy "welcome to the family" commercial was discussed, no one pointed out that that showed a family gathering as well. I think if the story is compelling, we don't notice!

When I first started glancing up at the commercial, I noticed the non-distancing and cringed. However, I didn't pay attention to what it was about until about a week ago. I usually tape everything with my DVR and skip commercials so I don't usually have a favorite. However, they've been showing it on MSNBC and I watch/listen live to the evening lineup. I love this one. It's so touching that the dad says they didn't forget about him and puts the ornament up along with the rest of the family's. It's nice to see the family reacting the same as if he'd brought home a new girlfriend. Just makes me all sappy! 💘

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Ashforth said:

That commercial is hilarious!

Oh, for sure, families in commercials should be White. This inclusion thing is out of control! We need to see normal families, right? Not Black or Latino or Asian. No gay couples. No interracial families. Keep it all White, straight people, that's where it's at, y'all.

I didn't say this and stop putting words in my mouth.  I said I DON'T MIND INCLUSION.  Period.  I did not say all families have to be white.  I didn't say a thing about sexual orientation, or that interracial families should be kept off the air.  I have interracial relatives and my love for the people I know has nothing to do with their skin color.

It doesn't add anything to the Hershey's classic jingle bells commercial to have any family members with chocolate-chip cookies.  That is my opinion.  I have noticed that a lot of the usual commercials are now featuring only black- or brown-skinned people, whoever they may be, and not everyone in mixed groups like it used to be.  People of color should be included in the advertising market, not solely represented from one ad to another just to appear "woke."

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

When I first started glancing up at the commercial, I noticed the non-distancing and cringed. However, I didn't pay attention to what it was about until about a week ago. I usually tape everything with my DVR and skip commercials so I don't usually have a favorite. However, they've been showing it on MSNBC and I watch/listen live to the evening lineup. I love this one. It's so touching that the dad says they didn't forget about him and puts the ornament up along with the rest of the family's. It's nice to see the family reacting the same as if he'd brought home a new girlfriend. Just makes me all sappy! 💘

I prefer to think this commercial was a Christmas from at least last year ago before the Coronavirus nightmare descended upon us.  I too think it's sweet that the entire family (who are black or mostly black; I didn't notice everyone) have a gay couple celebrating with the rest of the family and are recognized as a couple.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, janie jones said:

Just to be clear, I didn't mean that inclusion can go overboard, but PC pandering can go overboard.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

People of color should be included in the advertising market, not solely represented from one ad to another just to appear "woke."

I didn't see the family as People of Color, I simply saw them as a family.

• Love 14

I don't mind the family on the new Hershey commercial. The daughter is cute, and not being an insufferable brat. What I mind is them screwing up one of the best holiday commercials ever. They could have put the cute cookie making family in a different Hersey kiss commercial. 

• Love 15
28 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Does anyone have a video of the Etsy commercial? I've never seen it and now I need to lol.

This is it, it's a really lovely ad:

Etsy has really stepped up its ad game this holiday season. Maybe it's a little silver lining of the pandemic that people who make art and sell it online have so much more opportunity to supplement or replace their incomes. 

https://www.popsugar.com/family/grandma-opening-gift-etsy-holiday-commercial-video-47948172

• Love 7
4 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

I don't mind the family on the new Hershey commercial. The daughter is cute, and not being an insufferable brat. What I mind is them screwing up one of the best holiday commercials ever. They could have put the cute cookie making family in a different Hersey kiss commercial. 

It really should be a separate commercial. The original bells are so iconic and the simplicity is one of the things that makes it a classic.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

It’s been running for 31 years?!  Wow!

I feel that the Hershey’s people have missed the point in saying that they would run both the new and old versions of the commercial.  People don’t like the new one because it interrupts the original so they/we suggested that they separate the two by cutting it into a new commercial.  

We all wait for that “phew” at the end, Hershey’s tptb.  

Edited by elle
commas are useful
  • Love 16

I know it's been said before, but I'm adding my opinion:

I hate the new Hershey's Kisses Christmas commercial!  For years I've seen and heard the little Kisses ringing out 'We Wish You a Merry Christmas'.  It's so cute when the last little Kiss rings out that last note and swishes it's little plume across it's 'brow' with a relieved "Phew!"  It's like there's real live chocolate Kisses out there bringing Christmas cuteness and joy, and the ones we buy and eat are mere candy replicas, like a picture of Santa is not the real Santa.

Now suddenly, the Kisses start ringing out their song and a hand reaches in and grabs the little guy, while the music changes to a jaunty version of the old tune.  He's stripped bare, and plonked down on a cookie!  Are you going to eat him?  I'm not going to eat him.  I'll never eat another Peanut Butter Blossom cookie again, it's been tainted for me.  What's worse, some recipes call for the baker to take the cookies out after 6-7 minutes, add the Kiss, and bake it for an additional 1-2 minutes!  (Keeps the cookie soft and softens the Kiss for easier eating.)

That brave little Kiss, who only wants to spread Christmas cheer and is so happy to do a good job, is ripped from the bosom of it's brethren, only to end up as the focal point of a sweet treat!  And the human child who did it is held aloft by her father in a joyful display of triumph and affection while she looks around for more approval for a job well done.  

What's next?  Are we going to be asked to celebrate children kidnapping Santa in exchange for extra presents, ripping the diaper from Baby New Year for laughs, or trapping the Easter Bunny to make a nice stew?  Where does it end?  I weep for humanity. 

/s /rant  (But seriously, just leave the earlier commercial alone and use the footage from the latter for an entirely different one. 2020 has been bad enough, don't add to the pain.)

• LOL 18
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, Zahdii said:

I know it's been said before, but I'm adding my opinion:

I hate the new Hershey's Kisses Christmas commercial!  For years I've seen and heard the little Kisses ringing out 'We Wish You a Merry Christmas'.  It's so cute when the last little Kiss rings out that last note and swishes it's little plume across it's 'brow' with a relieved "Phew!"  It's like there's real live chocolate Kisses out there bringing Christmas cuteness and joy, and the ones we buy and eat are mere candy replicas, like a picture of Santa is not the real Santa.

Now suddenly, the Kisses start ringing out their song and a hand reaches in and grabs the little guy, while the music changes to a jaunty version of the old tune.  He's stripped bare, and plonked down on a cookie!  Are you going to eat him?  I'm not going to eat him.  I'll never eat another Peanut Butter Blossom cookie again, it's been tainted for me.  What's worse, some recipes call for the baker to take the cookies out after 6-7 minutes, add the Kiss, and bake it for an additional 1-2 minutes!  (Keeps the cookie soft and softens the Kiss for easier eating.)

That brave little Kiss, who only wants to spread Christmas cheer and is so happy to do a good job, is ripped from the bosom of it's brethren, only to end up as the focal point of a sweet treat!  And the human child who did it is held aloft by her father in a joyful display of triumph and affection while she looks around for more approval for a job well done.  

What's next?  Are we going to be asked to celebrate children kidnapping Santa in exchange for extra presents, ripping the diaper from Baby New Year for laughs, or trapping the Easter Bunny to make a nice stew?  Where does it end?  I weep for humanity. 

/s /rant  (But seriously, just leave the earlier commercial alone and use the footage from the latter for an entirely different one. 2020 has been bad enough, don't add to the pain.)

What a well done rant!  😀

Now I want Hershey's to continue the family with treats trend they started with the jingle bells choir segueing into a people with families representing other races.  I'm all for inclusion.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

OMG, I just saw the Greenies commercial where the dog grabs the snowman's arm and takes off with. Hahaha I'm dying! Especially when the kid passes out cold. Well done, Greenies.

Greenies! I started giving them to my cat because she has bad teeth. I swear those things have crack cocaine in them. She gets a few between 9 and 10 pm. By 8 pm she is meowing. I put food in her bowl and she looks at the food, then at me. She didn't want food - she wants her drugs!

• LOL 9
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Greenies! I started giving them to my cat because she has bad teeth. I swear those things have crack cocaine in them. She gets a few between 9 and 10 pm. By 8 pm she is meowing. I put food in her bowl and she looks at the food, then at me. She didn't want food - she wants her drugs!

I always called Fancy Feast "crack for cats" because my cats were so demanding of being fed it - they never reacted that way to any other canned cat food. My late beloved Caesar (my avatar) would wake me up in the morning by patting my face with his paw and rubbing his nose against mine. Did he love me so much that he wanted me to get up and spend time with him? No! He wanted his Fancy Feast! I don't see many ads for Fancy Feast these days.

• Love 8

I think Hershey's knew damn well what they were doing. Every year, we watch the bells ringing and the last one going, 'Whew."  Isn't that cute? isn't that sweet? Oh it feels like Xmas now.  What are we having for dinner? 

NOW people are in an uproar over something that isn't politics (thank goodness) and news shows are showing the ad as a NEWS ITEM!  You can't pay for that kind of publicity.  Oh, they are SO generously going to show both the ads.  Gee, what a great company they must be to acquiesce to our demands.robabl

I'm probably one of the most cynical optimists. LOL.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm probably one of the most cynical optimists. 

With your permission, or to be honest, without it, I'm gonna steal that line. 😄

This kind of reminds me of the "New Coke" debacle of 1985 (I nearly typed "1885" which would have revealed me to be a time traveler. I'm not! Really, I'm not. Really. Look away!) Anyhoo, it was pretty much a bait and switch to change the secret Coca-Cola formula from using cane sugar to high fructose corn syrup.

In other news, I think someone mentioned before how odd it is that Dior is airing its Savauge men's cologne commercials featuring Johnny Depp on an apparent acid trip. One might think that Dior would make the choice to drop him.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I think Hershey's knew damn well what they were doing. Every year, we watch the bells ringing and the last one going, 'Whew."  Isn't that cute? isn't that sweet? Oh it feels like Xmas now.  What are we having for dinner? 

NOW people are in an uproar over something that isn't politics (thank goodness) and news shows are showing the ad as a NEWS ITEM!  You can't pay for that kind of publicity.  Oh, they are SO generously going to show both the ads.  Gee, what a great company they must be to acquiesce to our demands.robabl

I'm probably one of the most cynical optimists. LOL.

This is my take on it too. Well played, Hershey. Well played.

• Love 4
On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 7:10 PM, janie jones said:

I don't care that those movies exist and that people want to watch them. I care that Hallmark replaces Golden Girls and Frasier with them for two months straight.

And I'm pissed that Lifetime replaced The Closer with these shitty movies.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

What a well done rant!  😀

Now I want Hershey's to continue the family with treats trend they started with the jingle bells choir segueing into a people with families representing other races.  I'm all for inclusion.

I'm all for showing kids of any color not acting like total brats in ads. Like this one. A sweet child and a loving dad having a great moment making cookies. I just wish they hadn't messed with the Hershey kiss ad. 

• Love 15

I don't think I ever like the Old Nay holiday ads, I just don't remember them, so maybe I'm indifferent. But I really hate this year's. Been watching a lot of MSNB since the election and it runs often. It's so loud and repetitive and loud! Did I mention it's loud?

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I just saw the *real* Hershey's Kisses Bell commercial since they updated it. Whew.

Just coming to post this! Was just on a few minutes ago (while watching GSN!). Thank God it's back!  🙂

On 12/3/2020 at 5:58 PM, QuinnInND said:

I'm all for showing kids of any color not acting like total brats in ads. Like this one. A sweet child and a loving dad having a great moment making cookies. I just wish they hadn't messed with the Hershey kiss ad. 

This! If the new commercial didn't psyche people out with the beginning of the bells, it would be fine. Edit the beginning of the new ad and make it its OWN commercial.

• Love 15

I'm gonna be a real Grinch here and say I never loved the original Hershey's kiss commercial as much as everyone else seems to. It's cute and all, but I thought it was also kind of annoying. I think maybe one year they must have really over-played it because it had gotten to the point where I had to mute the TV whenever it came on, lol. Now, the updated commercial? I actually like it, but I knew people were gonna be in an uproar about it, haha. I'm happy to see both versions being played. 

3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:
On 12/3/2020 at 5:58 PM, QuinnInND said:

I'm all for showing kids of any color not acting like total brats in ads. Like this one. A sweet child and a loving dad having a great moment making cookies.

Yes. I don't think using a family of color in the ad needs to be seen as anything but a sweet family moment. Have no idea how it could be seen as PC-pandering.

• Love 12