Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

On 12/18/2020 at 9:54 AM, zoey1996 said:

The "mailbox" ad for Toyota kind of confused me - why are they driving to that rural mailbox and mailing cards from there?  I didn't get that she was mailing home-made ornaments that then show up on the tree.  Her (service member) dad then surprises her there.  But the song was used for a British (?) missing person crime procedural, so that didn't work for me for the commercial.  I read Toyota's description of the ad, so I better understand it, but then how good is it if it's confusing?  The little girl is adorable, though!

Like someone else above, I also thought that she was mailing them to her dad from her own mailbox and then the dad brought them home. My only questions were who picked up the dad from the airport? Did he take an uber to the Toyota dealership and then buy that truck? The last time seems to be during a Christmas party. Does she expect this one to get to him by Christmas? I didn't think the plot was confusing, just dumb. But now I know what they were really going for, yeah, it's confusing.

• Love 1
On 12/20/2020 at 10:34 PM, Maverick said:

I haven't seen that one but the one with the melting Colonel Sanders is equally disturbing.  He's basically dying in front of the little girl, having sacrificed his life to bring them a damn bucket of chicken.  Is the little girl heart-broken?  Sad?  Even slightly concerned?   Nope.  She just turns her back and skips into the house.  

This is what you get from generations that never watched Frosty the Snowman as a child.  Christmas Psychopaths. 

So now tell us how you really feel, @Maverick. ,😉😂

• LOL 6
39 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I find the Toyota commercial rather sweet (OMG, who have I become?!?!?!?).  However, I didn't see it until now so I understand the story.  An establishing shot of how far it is from their house to their mailbox would have helped.  The little girl is adorable.  

I thought someone above said it's not their mailbox? It's the Christmas tree farm's mailbox.

Edited by janie jones
34 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I find the Toyota commercial rather sweet (OMG, who have I become?!?!?!?).  However, I didn't see it until now so I understand the story.  An establishing shot of how far it is from their house to their mailbox would have helped.  The little girl is adorable.  

This year has been tough. That's my rationale for my vulnerability to sentimental holiday commercials. I have literally wept.

This excludes the weird-ass Kerrygold "Happy First Day" ads that have turned me into an amateur psychologist/wannabe face-reading-body-language expert every time one comes on. I have spent way too much time trying to figure out the dude's expression when he comes through the door - because it's different in the different ads! They are intentionally fucking with my head.

Also excluded are the exploitive tear-jerker ASPCA ads. They are long and they are intentionally grotesque and seem scammy to me. Any time that you hear "call in the next ten minutes" you can rest assured that if you call and give money, most of it won't go to the cause you intend. Give Local!

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Ashforth said:

This year has been tough. That's my rationale for my vulnerability to sentimental holiday commercials. I have literally wept.

This excludes the weird-ass Kerrygold "Happy First Day" ads that have turned me into an amateur psychologist/wannabe face-reading-body-language expert every time one comes on. I have spent way too much time trying to figure out the dude's expression when he comes through the door - because it's different in the different ads! They are intentionally fucking with my head.

Also excluded are the exploitive tear-jerker ASPCA ads. They are long and they are intentionally grotesque and seem scammy to me. Any time that you hear "call in the next ten minutes" you can rest assured that if you call and give money, most of it won't go to the cause you intend. Give Local!

We got our last two cats a no kill shelter not a mile from here. They are the best and I just gave them a donation.  

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Corona's got another tropical tree with lights that's advertising Seltzer.  (?) Corona makes seltzer?  Cause I could've sworn their beer was already...  Never mind. It's Xmas; I'm gonna try to be kind.

Like having sex in a canoe?

• LOL 7
11 hours ago, janie jones said:

I thought someone above said it's not their mailbox? It's the Christmas tree farm's mailbox.

I don't think that's a Christmas tree farm. Yes, there are evergreen trees, but I think that is just part of the landscape.  I haven't spotted any signs, any other people coming and going, or anything like that.  And why would she be mailing cards from someone else's mailbox?

• Love 4
6 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I don't think that's a Christmas tree farm. Yes, there are evergreen trees, but I think that is just part of the landscape.  I haven't spotted any signs, any other people coming and going, or anything like that.  And why would she be mailing cards from someone else's mailbox?

Yeah, I'm going with the Magic Mailbox.  We don't see the sign in the commercial but it's like the mailboxes that send letters to Santa.  This one sends letters to people you love who are far away.  Kind of like a regular mailbox but with less government slowdown.

• Love 2
On 12/24/2020 at 1:01 PM, janie jones said:

According to an article I read on the commercial (I think it was ispot or some other advertising based sure) it is their mailbox, they just live in a rural area. Makes sense. I live in an area where some need to take a car to the mailbox (or atv type vehicle). 

• Love 5
On 12/18/2020 at 7:49 PM, chessiegal said:

The tree isn't at the end of their driveway. The daughter has been making and sending her dad Christmas ornaments. They drive to a Christmas tree farm, where the dad has put all the ornaments she has sent him on a tree, and then surprises her by coming from behind the tree.

On 12/26/2020 at 10:40 AM, callie lee 29 said:

According to an article I read on the commercial (I think it was ispot or some other advertising based sure) it is their mailbox, they just live in a rural area. Makes sense. I live in an area where some need to take a car to the mailbox (or atv type vehicle). 

Wait I'm confused. Is the top quote here just speculation about the commercial, or...? At the end of the commercial, the mailbox is next to the decorated tree.

On 12/26/2020 at 12:40 PM, callie lee 29 said:

Yeah, rural areas your mailbox may not be close to you. My mother lives 3/4 of a mile away from her mailbox. She’d never put a xmas tree next to it, as it’s right in front of a transformer station.

• Love 2
On 12/18/2020 at 10:49 PM, chessiegal said:

he tree isn't at the end of their driveway. The daughter has been making and sending her dad Christmas ornaments. They drive to a Christmas tree farm, where the dad has put all the ornaments she has sent him on a tree, and then surprises her by coming from behind the tree.

That actually makes less sense to me.  They're at a mailbox - why would that be at a tree farm?  It makes more sense that it's their mailbox at the end of a long drive, and you just can't see it from the house because if you could, that would spoil the surprise.

On 12/24/2020 at 1:01 PM, janie jones said:

That makes no effing sense.  (Edited to note that it's not janie jones who doesn't make sense.)

Okay, so I found this online:

https://www.shootonline.com/video/saatchi-saatchi-director-ted-melfi-open-xmas-mailbox -toyota

It doesn't say anything about a Christmas tree lot.

Edited by proserpina65
Edited to add info/link.
  • Useful 1
On 11/26/2020 at 11:59 PM, InDueTime said:

I kind of like the new Mercedes-Benz holiday ad. I'm happy the plushie found a new home. That said, I first want him to take a spin inside the washer and dryer after being against the bug and bird turd encrusted grill of a truck. Plus, being on the snowy ground before giving him to the child.

This commercial! I swear I get a little teary when he climbs over whatever and makes that teeny squeaking sound. I’ll take you home, Plushie! 

• Love 4

I posted about that plushie commercial in the irritating thread. It was cute the first few times I saw it I guess. I watch a lot of stuff on the Pluto app so that commercial comes on during every single break and sometimes twice. It's also one of the commercials through Pluto that causes a volume spike.

• Love 1
On 12/21/2020 at 7:32 PM, Zahdii said:

I miss Elizabeth Taylor 'White Diamonds' commercial.

I didn't mind that the commercial; kept airing after she died since I knew she consented to appear in it. I've also always loved that Elizabeth's part was filmed in black and white.

The Jimmy Dean breakfast commercials with pieced together audio that aired long after he died are ones I never care to see again.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, tanyak said:

This commercial! I swear I get a little teary when he climbs over whatever and makes that teeny squeaking sound. I’ll take you home, Plushie! 

I just saw this for the first time last night; I love the little girl's compassion.

• Love 4
On 12/18/2020 at 6:54 PM, catlover79 said:

Has anyone seen the Peter Folgers ad this year? I haven't. I miss it.

I can't believe it took so long for the Chia company to make a likeness of Richard Simmons!! Too funny.  😂

There's even leaves on his chest.

• Love 2

Did anyone see any Postal Service ads this Xmas season? I used to see a bunch of those "flat rate priority box" ads, but I didn't see any this year.

Don't bother clicking on the spoiler mask. My keyboard sometimes has a mind of its own and decided to create it. There's nothing in there.  <sheesh>

Spoiler

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Did anyone see any Postal Service ads this Xmas season? I used to see a bunch of those "flat rate priority box" ads, but I didn't see any this year.

I did. There was one with a woman carrier dropping off a parcel on a front porch decorated with lights where one light was out, and as she turned to go she reached over and got it lit again. That was the only ad I remember.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Maverick said:

Considering the post office couldn't handle the business they had and cards mailed in early December are still just now showing up, I don't think a lack of advertising was their problem. 

Considering that they had so many of their sorting machines taken out and staff gutted, it's not surprising. Trying to do more with less doesn't work. 

• Love 12

I just something on the Create channel - essentially a PBS channel with no ads, but it was a promo for another show - Curious Traveler - and the lady says, as she's about to bite into a huge Viennese pastry, "It's time to learn about Austria's Christmas Markets!"

40 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I just something on the Create channel - essentially a PBS channel with no ads, but it was a promo for another show - Curious Traveler - and the lady says, as she's about to bite into a huge Viennese pastry, "It's time to learn about Austria's Christmas Markets!"

I wouldn't think twice about that. Those PBS shows don't always pay attention  to seasons. I'm sure either that episode of "Curious Traveler"  just happens to be in rotation, or it was just a general promo for the show. Although Create is known to have theme weekends.

• Love 3

We travelled through Europe in Nov/Dec many years ago and I will never forget the Christmas Market and food in Ulm, Germany. It was a remarkable and ever memorable trip! I would love to see the shows about it. 

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Where is Create TV available? I'm in the boonies in MT and a lot is not available here.

https://www.pbs.org/tv_schedules/

Fill in your zip code and see if you have it in your area.  We got it here a few years ago and I go through periods of time where I watch a lot of it.  We also have PBS,  PBS World, and PBS Kids.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

We travelled through Europe in Nov/Dec many years ago and I will never forget the Christmas Market and food in Ulm, Germany. It was a remarkable and ever memorable trip! I would love to see the shows about it. 

If you're a member of any PBS station you can get the PBS Passport app. I just checked and it's available there.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I hope they continue to air that every "GEICOween" for the rest of my life, because I will never stop laughing at it.

I hope so, too. It should be to Halloween what the Hershey Kiss Bells and Cadbury's Easter Bunny auditions commercials are for their holidays.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, Popples said:

I hope so, too. It should be to Halloween what the Hershey Kiss Bells and Cadbury's Easter Bunny auditions commercials are for their holidays.

D'aww, makes me miss the Norelco ad with Santa. That was always the harbinger of the season for me.

• Love 12