Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

Check Petco.  They do a repeat delivery thing that comes straight to you, and their prices are better on some items, and there's no minimum order to get free shipping.

They don't carry Little Friskies.

5 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

They don't carry Little Friskies.

Bummer.  They stopped carrying the 12 pack of Tasty Treasures - my one cat is snoopy, and that's her preferred food.  They make a 24 pack, but the problem is that one of the flavors is pate, and miss snoopy snoop hates pate.

On 2/3/2019 at 4:29 PM, mojoween said:

I don’t think I have hated any ad more than Walmart attempting to bank on nostalgia with all the cars from classic movies in order to sell their shit.  For shame.

Mojoween, I always enjoy your posts, so please consider this a fun disagreement among friends.

As a child of the 80's, I loved that commercial.  Anything with a Knight Rider 2000 (Remember when the year 2000 was so far in the future?) gets my attention.

The only thing missing was the A-Team van.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Jacqs said:

Does the little girl in it look too old for Santa? that's often a problem for these kind of adverts. She also has REALLY red hair!

Based on my grandkids I'd say no. But them I'm 68 and believe in Santa Claus. :-}

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Trini said:

Just saw the Cadbury Creme Eggs ad. Dang, February isn't even over yet!

Not only that, but Easter is almost as late this year as it's possible to be.

Normally it's already Lent when the Girl Scouts set up shop - those fiends 😉

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I asked someone on reddit why so many seasonal and holiday commercials use female children. Basically because the commercials are aimed at the purchaser of most holiday items - the mother - and mothers either have a daughter, or identify with the little girl in  the commercial, having once been little girls themselves

2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

The Jollibee fast food chain in the Philippines always runs emotional ads.  This is their new ad for Mother's Day.

What a beautiful, loving ad!

On 5/12/2019 at 6:00 PM, InDueTime said:

Who at Jared green-lit this guilt-tripping garbage for Mother's Day?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/I4uB/jared-mothers-day-gift

OK, so the response emoji label is "Surprise", but for me, it's an OMGWHAT!

What's the follow up - "and before Mom's even had time to start in on the 'so when are you having kids?', tell her you're pregnant!"

(So glad I don't have a "when are you getting married/having kids" family. Those people sound exhausting.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Jamoche said:

So glad I don't have a "when are you getting married/having kids" family. Those people sound exhausting.

Same. 

My mom has told me about how some of her co-workers seem shocked that she's not a grandma yet like the rest of them, though, and are surprised that she's not hounding me or my sister about having kids. Why they care, I don't know. It amazes me that people think such a personal decision is in any way their business. 

• Love 6
On 5/12/2019 at 6:00 PM, InDueTime said:

Who at Jared green-lit this guilt-tripping garbage for Mother's Day?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/I4uB/jared-mothers-day-gift

Holy hell.  The commercial was destined to be offensive pretty much from jump, and I thought it was going to be telling Mom she's going to be a grandma, so had my rage percolating, and then it turned out to be telling her "I'm engaged!" was the "one thing she's always wanted," and my rage meter was instantly pegged.

I should have predicted what I was in for from you saying it was a commercial for Jared, but I think I ignored that before clicking and then, after, perhaps subconsciously figured they were hawking some over-priced crap stone "Grandma-to-Be" ring as the next stupid thing people should buy.

• Love 4

With the childfree by choice. Their movement has become politicised and associated with remnants of the 1970s far-left (AKA pining for Helen Reddy and "I am woman, hear me roar").

Sorry, but that was kinda my reaction to the news of my daughter's engagement.  And I'm sure I'll be jumping and screaming if and when they have kids.  😊

7 hours ago, Annber03 said:

It amazes me that people think such a personal decision is in any way their business. 

Our family usually gets along quite well, but one Thanksgiving, my nephew's mother in law started hassling her daughter about having babies. My SIL joined in. They wanted to know why the daughter refused to have babies, whose idea it was, etc. They made her cry. I am still ashamed that I didn't tell them to STFU. My nephew and his wife are brilliant young middle-aged adults who do not come to any decision lightly. I'm sure they considered all the options and made their decision based on that. It's nobody else's business.  To put an end to any future harrassment, my nephew got a vasectomy. Good for him.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Sorry, but that was kinda my reaction to the news of my daughter's engagement. 

It's fine to react that way, but was her getting engaged the one thing you've wanted all your life?

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Annber03 said:

My mom has told me about how some of her co-workers seem shocked that she's not a grandma yet like the rest of them, though, and are surprised that she's not hounding me or my sister about having kids. Why they care, I don't know. It amazes me that people think such a personal decision is in any way their business. 

Because people can't keep their noses out of other peoples stuff, and because society at large has elevated motherhood so much that anyone who can't or doesn't want to join them is cast out.

I thought that talk would end when we found out kids weren't possible (and that talk didn't come from my mom, but my MIL, co-workers, people from church, etc).  Instead, it just continued, in a different fashion.  "Why don't you adopt?" (we tried).  "Why don't you do treatment?" (not good candidates).  When Hurricane Katrina hit, an old woman we went to church with told us that now would be a good time to travel south and get us a (insert slightly racist term here) kid, because lots of kids would be available for adoption, and we should be successful.  I didn't even dignify that with a response, other than to tell her that I didn't understand how it was acceptable to constantly grill someone about kids who can't have them.

3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

It's fine to react that way, but was her getting engaged the one thing you've wanted all your life?

Exactly; it wasn't the celebrating I was talking about (although I did find much of it over the top for an engagement), but that horrid "the one thing she's always wanted" line. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Our family usually gets along quite well, but one Thanksgiving, my nephew's mother in law started hassling her daughter about having babies. My SIL joined in. They wanted to know why the daughter refused to have babies, whose idea it was, etc. They made her cry. I am still ashamed that I didn't tell them to STFU. My nephew and his wife are brilliant young middle-aged adults who do not come to any decision lightly. I'm sure they considered all the options and made their decision based on that. It's nobody else's business.  To put an end to any future harrassment, my nephew got a vasectomy. Good for him.

Wow. That's awful. Hopefully your nephew's decision will finally shut them up once and for all. And hopefully they'll apologize to her for making her cry. 

4 hours ago, funky-rat said:

Because people can't keep their noses out of other peoples stuff, and because society at large has elevated motherhood so much that anyone who can't or doesn't want to join them is cast out.

I thought that talk would end when we found out kids weren't possible (and that talk didn't come from my mom, but my MIL, co-workers, people from church, etc).  Instead, it just continued, in a different fashion.  "Why don't you adopt?" (we tried).  "Why don't you do treatment?" (not good candidates).  When Hurricane Katrina hit, an old woman we went to church with told us that now would be a good time to travel south and get us a (insert slightly racist term here) kid, because lots of kids would be available for adoption, and we should be successful.  I didn't even dignify that with a response, other than to tell her that I didn't understand how it was acceptable to constantly grill someone about kids who can't have them.

Good answer. That Katrina comment is grossly insensitive for a whole host of reasons. I mean, I can even understand somebody's immediate family asking about kids (though even then, there's still tactful ways to bring up the subject and the topic should be immediately dropped once the person gives their reasons for not having kids). But to have total strangers hounding you about it...that's just creepy. 

To say nothing of how adoption and treatment cost money, which some people don't have a lot of even if they do want kids. Having a kid, whatever the method, isn't a cheap experience. Finances play a huge role in why some people are hesitant to have them. That's one of many reasons I don't have any kids, I know full well I don't have the financial stability to take care of one. I hear people griping all the time about how somebody shouldn't have kids they can't afford, but then a lot of those same people can't seem to wrap their heads around the fact that some out there don't want children. You can't win either way, it seems. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

That's infuriating.  I'm not a fanatic "childfree" type crusader, but i actually appreciate people who make a firm conscious decision NOT to have kids.   I hope the day eventually comes where it's not considered abnormal to refrain from having a child.

• Love 9

Coffee Mate's jumped on the bandwagon already, Here's hoping they put out a different one closer to the holidays and we're not stuck with 3+ months of winter charades (Peppermint mocha's my fav flavor but still, it's 80+ outside atm!)

Saw KitKat is reusing the goofy pumpkin one from last year again, be sure to have a BreaK (with a hard K at the end)

On 9/11/2019 at 7:15 PM, Maximoose said:

Saw KitKat is reusing the goofy pumpkin one from last year again, be sure to have a BreaK (with a hard K at the end)

Just came here to post that one. It's my favorite!

"Sorry for what I did to your face." 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

It looks like Geico is putting out several Halloween ads this year along with the horror movie ad.

The cat girl one weirds me out, but I like Casper and Gecko ones.

Edited by InDueTime
Spelling
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I love the horror movie one. So glad they brought it back.

I just saw the one with the trick-or-treat child dressed as a NY Yankee, who shows up at a Mets fan's house. Cracked me up! 

• LOL 1
10 hours ago, Colleenna said:

I just saw the one with the trick-or-treat child dressed as a NY Yankee, who shows up at a Mets fan's house. Cracked me up! 

The best part is the look on the guy’s face when his wife says she’s secretly a Yankees fan. I can practically see him mentally dialing up divorce attorneys. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

BAHAHAHAAAA! I just saw a new Geico Halloween commercial ---- " The Attic." A home buyer and the lizard are looking around a dusty, spooky attic

I want to know who leaves behind stuff in an attic or basement like that.  The gecko says it's fun to see what's left behind like that is an expected part of buying a home.

Edited by elle
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, elle said:

I want to know who leaves behind stuff in an attic or basement like that.  The gecko says it's fun to see what's left behind like that is an expected part of buying a home.

The only thing left behind in our last house was a bunch of bee hives in the attic.  The prior owner of our current house left us furniture inside (we were OK with that), but left the shed full of junk, which I insisted she come and haul out (she conveniently couldn't locate the keys to the shed so we could see it before we bought.  Once it was cleaned out, we discovered that it was rotten, and got her to go halves on a new shed.

• Love 4

I have never watched a Hallmark Christmas movie because judging by the commercials, if you watch one, you've seen them all. I only watch the Hallmark channel for the reruns of "The Golden Girls" in the mornings and in the evenings before I go to bed.

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I have never watched a Hallmark Christmas movie because judging by the commercials, if you watch one, you've seen them all. I only watch the Hallmark channel for the reruns of "The Golden Girls" in the mornings and in the evenings before I go to bed.

I only watch it when they have Columbo. My DH has been watching it every chance he gets because he is a sucker for that maudlin Christmas bullshit. I can't even watch with him because he won't let me mercilessly mock them.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I only watch it when they have Columbo. My DH has been watching it every chance he gets because he is a sucker for that maudlin Christmas bullshit. I can't even watch with him because he won't let me mercilessly mock them.

A bunch of my former co-workers watch that stuff, and they'd incessantly talk about it.  They all have the same plot, and are all sickeningly sappy.  Meh.

• Love 4