Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

In 2018, aside from aging her from two to about six, they've also made Cindy Lou Who a bit more bold and brassy and less of a two dimensional girly girl stereotype that she is in the original story or in the 1966 Chuck Jones version.

It does send the message that apparently a girl is only a role model for children when they are (metaphorically) whooping arse and Girl Power is impossible when a girl has a natural quiet and soft personality...

• Love 1

InDueTime, I mostly ignore that ad, except for the decorations on the collar of the little one, it isn't evenly on one side of the collar, in fact the decoration is above the collar. I sew, have done all kind of it for close to 60 years, at first I thought it was embroidery, now I think they are broaches or some kind of stick on. Whatever, but it bugs me that it comes off the top of the collar of the dummy.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

InDueTime, I mostly ignore that ad, except for the decorations on the collar of the little one, it isn't evenly on one side of the collar, in fact the decoration is above the collar. I sew, have done all kind of it for close to 60 years, at first I thought it was embroidery, now I think they are broaches or some kind of stick on. Whatever, but it bugs me that it comes off the top of the collar of the dummy.

You have quite a good eye!  I never noticed her collar.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Jacqs said:

It does send the message that apparently a girl is only a role model for children when they are (metaphorically) whooping arse and Girl Power is impossible when a girl has a natural quiet and soft personality...

I get a little tired of that message too. They make it as if there's something wrong with being a girly girl and being into pretty things and wearing skirts etc.

• Love 5

The Lincoln commercial that shows the girl driving through the mountains and the dog is waiting at the house, looking out the window.  I'm sick of it.  As soon as I hear the song "I Want to Be With You ..." I put the TV on mute.  The dog doesn't bother me as much as the girl, she has a pitifully sad smile as she drives along.  

Also the truck commercial (Ford? Chevy?) where the guy surprises the wife with brand new trucks for both of them, except he intended the red one for her but she "loves" the black one. She tells him "I love it" twice, more firmly each time, so he says "ok, I like red."  She comes across as scary.  Who does that?

Never realized there are SO many car commercials this time of year.

26 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

She comes across to me as someone who is tired of her misogynistic hubby, and wants what SHE wants.

Yes, I think buying a car for someone as a surprise could be tricky, unless there had been a lot of recent conversations about what the person wants and loves.  Also, buying those two vehicles counts as a  VERY MAJOR purchase and I wouldn't want my husband spending that kind of money without discussing it with me first.  Of course, maybe they are rich and it doesn't matter.

• Love 6

I actually kind of like the Walmart ad where the doggie is excited every time the doorbell rings and his holiday outfits get more elaborate...

Until the end.  I feel badly for pups wearing things on their feet because they walk awkwardly like they don’t like it.

Now I only have a cat who won’t let me put anything on him anywhere, so I could be off base and doggos actually do like footwear.

• Love 11
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:31 PM, OmegaX123 said:

I don't watch much TV lately, has anyone seen the creepy incest-ish Folgers commercial yet? Or did they stop using that one because of people either complaining about the implications or shipping Peter and his sister?

I never got the complaints, nothing in that commercial strikes me as incest-ish.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:37 PM, HighMaintenance said:

Haven't seen that Folger's coffee commercial in several years.  At first the I though the guy was a young Joel McHale.  I always hated how big brother just came from WEST AFRICA and he smells the Folger's as says "AH! Real coffee!" . 

Um, isn't the west African region one of the top producers of finest coffee in the world?  I'm pretty sure they had some locally grown coffee there.  Bet it was better than middling Folger's.

Maybe they produce the beans but don't brew coffee much?

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:32 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Any commercial where someone gets a car as a Christmas gift annoys me. 

The only Christmas car commercials I like are the Mercedes one with Santa and the puppy who had to pee, the Honda ones with the toys from the 70s & 80s, and the Subaru ones because they're donating money to charities.

18 hours ago, debbie311 said:

The Lincoln commercial that shows the girl driving through the mountains and the dog is waiting at the house, looking out the window.  I'm sick of it.  As soon as I hear the song "I Want to Be With You ..." I put the TV on mute.  The dog doesn't bother me as much as the girl, she has a pitifully sad smile as she drives along.  

I forgot about that one.  I like it, but agree that they've run it too much.

• Love 2

The commercial with the Elvis impersonators, from all over the world, singing the same some while Face Timing.  I get so caught up in it that I forget company the ad is for.  Maybe an iPhone?  It kind of warms my cynical Christmas commercial heart.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Kemper said:

The commercial with the Elvis impersonators, from all over the world, singing the same some while Face Timing.  I get so caught up in it that I forget company the ad is for.  Maybe an iPhone?  It kind of warms my cynical Christmas commercial heart.

Yeah, it's iPhone.  I normally hate Apple commercials, but that one is really cool.

Yeah, Pat Boone and the talking bible, I agree, on the other hand, I'm probably jinxing myself, but I haven't seen the cross with the piece of gravel from the cave of the Nativity or whatever, the one made in gold tone or kitchen grade stainless steel, all for only 3 payments of $19.99 or whatever. However much they charge, it's too much.

I rather like the Elvis singers too. 

I don't mind eating and food slurping, it just doesn't bother me, but because a new season of shows is coming up, I hate Dr. Pimple Popper, from the name on through the entire commercial, it grosses me out. I was watching a few episodes of Long Lost Family today and got to see entirely too many. And I refuse to type that title again. There are other ads on late night that are not seasonal, but for products, they gross me out too.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

This is sort of Seasonal...Open Enrollment is over. Thank goodness we don't have to see those ads until next October.

Yes but we still have pharmaceutical ads, ambulance chasing lawyers, life insurance and amazing new supplement infomercials. FML.

• Love 7

Moose135, I think that's been taken over by Nugenix! Not erased, just overshadowed. But that's not seasonal unless, how shall I say this, unless it's an "older" man who only thinks he'll get laid on Christmas and NYE. "She'll like it too!" I know, it's not the same as those other pills, you know, the ones with the couple in the bathtub, the hot 30 something babe and the cartoon guy. Oh, dang, I've just jinxed us all! Those will be back!

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:23 PM, Aryanna said:

I don't see how this show hasn't been sued by Seinfeld. They literally stole the name of this show from a Seinfeld episode.

He used "Pimple Popper MD".  Just saw that ep the other day.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

He used "Pimple Popper MD".  Just saw that ep the other day.

I don't think that's enough of a difference for the show to legally be in the clear. But I'm not an attorney so I may be wrong.

Just now, Aryanna said:

I don't think that's enough of a difference for the show to legally be in the clear. But I'm not an attorney so I may be wrong.

But if he doesn't have some sort of copyright on the term, I doubt anything can be done.

12 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

But if he doesn't have some sort of copyright on the term, I doubt anything can be done.

Like I said, I could be wrong. And I doubt anything will be done or it would've been done already. But the script is copyrighted as well as protected by the screenwriter's guild and the episode is copyrighted as well. If you were to create a "reality" show about a soup restaurant and call it Soup Nazi, you would have a good chance of receiving a cease and desist from the creators of Seinfeld.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

Like I said, I could be wrong. And I doubt anything will be done or it would've been done already. But the script is copyrighted as well as protected by the screenwriter's guild and the episode is copyrighted as well. If you were to create a "reality" show about a soup restaurant and call it Soup Nazi, you would have a good chance of receiving a cease and desist from the creators of Seinfeld.

You'd also stand a good chance of a visit from the FBI.

• Love 3

This Portal ad. I know it's supposed to be heart-warming that the kid doesn't want his grandfather to leave, but I just found the kid irritating with the ways he was trying to sabotage his grandfather's trip. Plus, the kid couldn't even say goodbye to him, and the kid hides his hat. No wonder the grandfather wanted out of there. 

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/IVuO/portal-from-facebook-holidays

I like this Gap ad, even though it doesn't really say "holiday time" very much to me.

It's 11:50 on Christmas Eve. I see some ad for some store urging me to go there to get a start on my Christmas shopping.  Do they mean for the shopping I'd normally do on 12/25? Or shopping for 12/25/19?

(Cause I did do some shopping on 12/25 - I ordered catfood online.)

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 5

No, not Chewy; I work for a vet & my kitties are on prescription diet food, so I use "Purina for Professionals" - a $30 bag of food costs me $16.93, including shipping. I applied, they called the practice manager to verify my employment there, and I had to email them the prescription for the OM (Overweight Management) food. It's a little intense to get started, but it's really handy after that. The distribution center is a few miles south of here, so if I order early enough in the day, UPS delivers it the next day. I encourage anyone with pets who can, to get even a part-time job at a vet. The discounts are well worth it. Not to mention helping the ailing critters or making sure the healthy ones stay that way.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 4
On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:34 PM, Brattinella said:

Chewy?  It has been a Godsend for us.

Except for the canned Little Friskies, the only name brand food I buy is actually more expensive at Chewy.  And the Little Friskies is less than a dollar cheaper.  Too bad, 'cause I like the idea of not having to lug bags of food in from the car.

18 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Chewy has the prescription cat food I buy from my vet, but only in the extra large bag size, and I don't like to get him the big bags because he much prefers the stuff out of a freshly opened bag.

11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I end up filling up ziplock bags & freezing them. Bosco will eat frozen kibble. Stella waits until it thaws out. She's such a lady.

Lol, cats. Amiright?

• Love 6

We buy from Chewy, the litter and big bags of IAMS indoor weight control.  She likes it fresh as well, so we pour the IAMS food into a plastic bin container from some cheapo food we bought years ago. It holds maybe 2-3 pounds  of food.  It has a screw-top lid and is air-tight.  The big bag we roll up and seal with those gigantic clippies, so it stays fresh, too.  She loves that food. :)

• Love 2
16 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I didn't see it mentioned, or maybe I missed it, but my favorite Christmas commercial this year was the Walmart one with the Teddy Bear. It got me every time...

Oh boy, here come the waterworks. As much as I hate Wally World, they have some really good commercials with excellent music.

• Love 3

The commercial has so many feels, I can't even tell you how many times I've watched it. From the song (epic) to Teddy being so dejected (reading the self-help book, putting on the unicorn outfit, the ice cream), to how he sits up that little bit taller when the man notices him, to his hug with the little girl at the end! Gah! <3<3<3

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:45 PM, proserpina65 said:

Except for the canned Little Friskies, the only name brand food I buy is actually more expensive at Chewy.  And the Little Friskies is less than a dollar cheaper.  Too bad, 'cause I like the idea of not having to lug bags of food in from the car.

Check Petco.  They do a repeat delivery thing that comes straight to you, and their prices are better on some items, and there's no minimum order to get free shipping.

• Love 1