Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E08: The Rainway

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

The petition worked already;) The extra day clearly showed on the runway.  

Did Heidi add judging criteria of 360 degrees and curves right before the rainway, or did I miss that earlier?  

Random thoughts. No particular order:  

Amanda made another patchwork quilt. It was ok.

Kini's - I loved it! And it reminded me of Carmen Santiago. 

Char's was fine. 

Korina's looked like something my kids would create out of craft supplies. 

Sandhya's should have styled her model like a grown up. Then at least it would be whimsical instead of clownlike. 

Sean - so glad his worked! 

Emily's reminded me of a pill bug. 

Alex's was colorful.  

Fade was just so real when on the phone. I teared up. I think he was lost this week. 

• Love 4

At least Kini finally got a win. I can't with Sandayha anymore I don't get the love for her and her ego and smug attitude is grating. Really I don't love anyone this season or their aesthetic so I don't really care who goes home. Don't know how Korinna and Alexander are still there

• Love 5

YOU TOTALLY READ MY MIND!!!  I kept thinking about Christian when Kini's model was on the runway!  

Sean's was awesome, I loved the spin the model did to get the hem wet.

I thought Korina's idea was awesome, but I'm super happy she mucked it up so horribly.

I didn't hate Amanda's look this week.  That's a first for me.

• Love 2

I would have put Alex, char and Amanda above Sandya's. I just don't like her stuff and she's full of herself.

I hate when they give it away who's going home by showing the sad phone call home. Everyone knew in first 20 min of the show.

Sean's was cool but I also loved Kini's. Glad they didn't choose between them.

• Love 5

Kini finally got a win, woo hoo!  I'm glad the judges decided to give the win to both him and Sean.  Sean had a very unique idea with the dye and fortunately it worked.

I liked Fade's but it didn't really meet the challenge, IMO.  No relation to the rainway at all and didn't seem avany garde to me.  As for the rest - meh.

• Love 4

How the fuck is Sandhya still around?? That was horrific.

I hate this show. I hate this show for giving Korina immunity last week, because her garment was something a child could make. I hate this show for eliminating my Fade.

• Love 19

I know there's a lot of Kini love on these boards, but I never see anything from him but a good tailor. Sean 100% deserved that win (and Sean alone).

While I understand why many don't like Sandhya's work (and attitude), I like that she shows us a different perspective, and that her work is not referential of other designers.

I wish it hadn't been Fade this week, and agree that the save was wasted on Char.

• Love 12

As much as I love Fade's personality, it was definitely his time to go. He was obviously lost and that dress was not avant-garde or even interesting.

Sean's model is having such a great time; she seemed to enjoy this week's dress even more than last week's jewels!

Totally agree about Sandhya's Clown Nightmare dress; maybe Jessica Lange could wear it on "American Horror Story:Freak Show".

• Love 10

Avante grade challenges to me equals just throw some weird crap together and send it down the runway, or rainway.

I did love Sean's dress and thought it was so cool when the model swirled and the colors came out. I'm glad Kini finally won even though I wasn't crazy about this weeks design.

I have no words for Sandhya. I don't understand the awe the judges have in her week after week.

Next week: Sandhya throws another pity party for herself. Oy!

• Love 7

The first episode I've enjoyed in quite a while (maybe this season?).  Lots of great looks.  Some were derivative but good to see again. -- speaking of which,  I wish Kini had used a brighter color (or colors) -- cobalt blue springs to mind --- it would have been more impactful.  I love Sean's idea but wish the dress had been a little more innovative in terms of shape BUT the waterproof crinolene was ingenious! Having said that, I can see a line of one-time-wear-for-impact then wear-other-time outfits for someone to purchase and wear!.  Very happy that he, and Kini (yay), won.

If ever there was a neoprene challenge, eh? ;)

Edited by DHDancer
  • Love 7

I didn't get Sandhya's look at all...I thought it was horribly made, looked sloppy and the styling was horrendous.

I kept thinking of that cartoon character "Rainbow Brite" from the 80's....only Rainbow Brite's dress was cuter!  

I also was not a fan of Amanda's look, and it pissed me off that the judges did not call her out on the fact that the dress started to fall apart on the run/rainway, especially given that they finally had two days for the challenge.  I though the materials were ugly, the design was ugly, the dress was ugly....okay - I'll admit it - I don't like Amanda.  :-)

I feel bad for Fade, but I agree with everyone - I don't think his heart was in this challenge, and he seemed very lost this week.  This should have been Tim's save, because while I like Char as a person, I think Fade has more talent and original ideas.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 12

I liked Sean's when Alexander McQueen made it:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&ved=0CDUQtwIwCA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DreK0A1XIjKA&ei=e14SVNu4Go2iyAThj4L4CQ&usg=AFQjCNFVs_oVnVsHcz8ICQSvGDSMRDZJoQ&sig2=G9BreIcOesLnQJBr2nyEkA&bvm=bv.75097201,d.aWw

There were several McQueen references, but Sean probably saw the inspiration most recently - if he's in NYC, he saw the McQueen show at the Met, whereas Kini and Emily probably didn't.  The video of Shalom Harlow getting painted in a pleated, summery, all-white dress was recirculated heavily after that exhibit.

Dammit.  I was so hoping it would be Emily.  Emily and Korina's were godawful. 

Edited by Midnight Cheese
  • Love 3

So the judges do a non-stop reference to Alexander McQueen on some of the designs, yet cannot ever REMEMBER Christian's dress, and how Kini's referenced it?. 

One of their own winners, and they can't even remember?

I'm not a Kini fan, so I think it should have been Sean's win alone.

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 4

I hate this show for eliminating my Fade.

Nooooooooooooooo!  I kept hoping for the judges to finally acknowledge him,...but not like this.

I hate this show for eliminating my Fade.

Nooooooooooooooo!  I kept hoping for the judges to finally acknowledge him,...but not like this.

• Love 3

I LOVED Sandhya's dress on the runway (excuse me, rainway). As I watched her make it, I was shaking my head and groaning. But when the model stepped out under the lights and the falling water, it really worked for me. It looked like a jewel box. Even the pinwheels made sense at that moment, although I agreed with the guest judge that fewer would have been better. (They added sparkle, though. I think it would have been a bit much if they had spun as she intended.)The whole  thing, including the clunky black ankle boots, made me laugh with pleasure.

Yes, I can see how the other designers found her comment about not wanting the judges to refer to any other designer when critiquing her work to be insensitive at the moment. After all, they had compared most of the other designers, for good or ill, to some Famous Name. But I got a kind of earnest social-cluelessness vibe from her when she said it, not a slashing arrogance.

• Love 17

Yay!  Kini finally got his win!  And well-deserved it was, too.  His design was stunning, his model's pose when she came out, with the angle of the hat on her face and the red lipstick, stunning.  Yes, I loved the hat, with the whole.  Shut up, Masters of Sex woman.

Too bad Kini had to share his win with the increasingly insufferable Sean.  I agree with whichever judge who said the dress by itself was "banal."  The colors that came out in the rain was cool, but it was a cool gimmick, leaving nothing but a stained, banal dress out of the rain.  And the yellowish-orangeish color around the middle was an unfortunate choice and placement. 

Of all the designers this season, you single out Kini for taste issues?  Shut up, Sean.

I do agree with Heidi and Zac, that Sandhya has a unique and defined viewpoint.  I do think her POV is influenced by her culture and maybe that's being ignored and/or not understood by the other designers and maybe the judges.  I don't always like what she does, but I always know it's hers and that's important for a designer.  I liked the playfulness of this week's design, and unlike a certain judge, I realize it wasn't meant to be wearable.  Shut up, Masters of Sex woman.

I hated Amanda's... thing, whatever that was she sent down the runway.  She would've been going home if it were up to me.  She wasn't even in the bottom, alas...  I've liked Fade's designs throughout the season.  They're always attractive and wearable, though not hugely creative, and there wasn't anything about this week's design that fit the challenge.  Maybe avant garde just isn't his thing?  I'm sorry to see him go, though, for one bad week. 

This was the best runway presentation in the history of the show?  Shut up, Tim.

Alexander?  Please, shut your mouth.

• Love 13

Sean's model totally sells everything he designs.  It is so obvious she loves wearing his clothes.  Her twirl in the middle of the run/rainway was perfect.  Kini+Sean=the prefect designer.  They ought to go into a partnership after the show.

Amanda's dress reminded me of a Christmas tree and in not a good way.

Sandhya has ideas which is why the judges keep her around she just hasn't learned to edit yet which is why she likely won't make the finals but it will be interesting to see her in 10 years.  She should get an internship with a top designer for some more formal training in order to fine tune her eye.
Alexander.-blah
Korrina- have hated everything she's designed today was no exception.  Nothing really new or fresh and won't even try when the challenge is outside her experience scope.
Emily-does she just keep redoing the same outfit each week?  There are other colors in the world besides black and not every outfit needs a hood.

Char-nice lady but hated she got Fade's save

Fade :(  hit the wall at the wrong time

• Love 5

None of this shit was avant garde. Maybe Sandya. Maybe. But the woman cannot design. And for the woman who doesn't think she can be compared to anyone, Sandya's work reminds me of a half-assed Jeremy Scott.

I thought immediately of Christian when I saw Kini's.

I don't know what happened to Amanda in a basement between 1976-1982, but it must have been fantastic because she is in love with that time period and feeling.

Emiliy's was completely derivative.

Korina's original design might have worked off she went with a Romulan shouldered cape.

Char's was the usual Char crap. The save was wasted on her.

And the rainway was some America's Next Top Model nonsense. And thus completes the Tyra-fication of this show.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 8

I was just thinking "I would like Amanda's a lot more if those stupid eyes weren't there" and lo and behold! They started falling off!

Sandhya should have been in the bottom, and she should have gone home. That look was absolutely horrific. I don't care that she's "ethnic" and that her point of view is just sooooo Bollywood, or whatever these judges are trying to tell themselves to justify keeping her around.  (I am part Indian, for the record).

I was sad to see Fade go, but his look was super boring and looked very cheap. I've really liked his work up until tonight. 

Edited by Zima
  • Love 7

Oh Char...I'm sure she's a nice person.  Not the most creative designer but she's decent enough.  But there is no way in fashion heaven or hell that Tim should have saved her over Fade.  I'm really bummed.  I know he'll do well due to the exposure here but still.    

I got where Sandhya was going, but I wasn't aboard for the whole ride.  As the judges said she needs to learn to edit all her ideas, the design still needs some 'pretty' factor.  I guess what other people see as smug I see as possibly over-confidence in herself and her abilities, and it may trip her up as we see from the previews.  It might well be a cultural divide as Fellaway has alluded to.  

Amanda dodged a huge bullet.  That was really dreck.  Oh how I wish Korina didn't have immunity.

• Love 5

Char: I like it, but it was just safe.
Sandhya: In her element. Actually reminds me of a piece from Thom Browne's latest collection.
Emily: Dated like something Patti LaBelle and the Bluebells wore in the 70's
Alexander: Interesting, but as safe as Char's.
Fäde: I think it's too restrained and not really avant garde.
Korina: Meh, just looks like stuff tacked on a black mini dress
Amanda: Nope, dress falling apart on the runway
Kini: LOVE this. Definitely top contender for me
Sean: Brillant! another top, possibly the win. Almost reminds me of the McQueen where the model spun on a dias and was hit by paint splatters

Other than the hat, I'm not really getting Siriano from Kini's look. Other designers have done that umbrella like skirting but I like that Kini sort of turned the model herself into an umbrella.

I liked Sean's when Alexander McQueen made it:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&ved=0CDUQtwIwCA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DreK0A1XIjKA&ei=e14SVNu4Go2iyAThj4L4CQ&usg=AFQjCNFVs_oVnVsHcz8ICQSvGDSMRDZJoQ&sig2=G9BreIcOesLnQJBr2nyEkA&bvm=bv.75097201,d.aWw

There were several McQueen references, but Sean probably saw the inspiration most recently - if he's in NYC, he saw the McQueen show at the Met, whereas Kini and Emily probably didn't.  The video of Shalom Harlow getting painted in a pleated, summery, all-white dress was recirculated heavily after that exhibit.

Dammit.  I was so hoping it would be Emily.  Emily and Korina's were godawful. 

I immediately thought of McQueen when I saw Sean's and knew it had to be the win.

I honestly can't say Fäde wasn't deserving of the auf. He made a dress. It didn't look like he even attempted anything avant garde. When you then add on the fact that the sewing wasn't as good as he usually does I can see why they sent him home. The only other choice was Korina and see had immunity.

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 5

THIS was the episode when the Tim Gunn Save should have been used. 

I am absolutely furious he wasted it on Char last week.  She is a nice lady but is nowhere near Fade in skill and ability.

Exactly.  Fade's outfit truly wasn't up to snuff--he was doomed as soon as he said he didn't think avant garde had to be weird.)  But it's exactly the situation they're always yammering about for "The Tim Gunn Save."   I'm so sad--the man has talent.

Two days?  Yay!

Samsung Television sponsoring the "rainway"?  Idiots.

• Love 2
Fade's outfit truly wasn't up to snuff--he was doomed as soon as he said he didn't think avant garde had to be weird.)

It might not have to be weird but it needs to grab the judges attention. I don't know if he gave up or was really stumped, but that dress was a lot of nothing.

• Love 5

To quote Mugatu from Zoolander, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! What does Sandhya have on the judges that they keep putting her in the top? I do not understand her designs at all. I'm going to miss Fade and while I like Char, I wish Tim had saved his 'Tim Gunn Save' for Fade.

Edited by amyhon2000
  • Love 5

Ok. Help me out here. When Kini's dress came out, I thought of the girl who won PR a few years back. Anyone remember her? All her dresses looked like inverted tulips and I remember not liking her. Who was that ?!?

Are you thinking of Leanne Marshall?

• Love 5

Ok. Help me out here. When Kini's dress came out, I thought of the girl who won PR a few years back. Anyone remember her? All her dresses looked like inverted tulips and I remember not liking her. Who was that ?!?

That is who I was thinking of as well, and couldn't remember her name...her runway show had dresses and skirts very similar in design, but in whites, teals and light blues. 

I think she was on the same season as Kenley. 

Are you thinking of Leanne Marshall?

Yes...thank you!!    :-)

• Love 1

Hate to say it, but Seans dress was way cooler than Alexander McQueens.  It cracks me up that Zac keeps calling the designers for stealing other peoples works when he totally stole Kini's cape idea for Heidi's Emmy dress.

The whole thing with Sean was that he took a huge risk. Avant Garde is meant to wow once, and that is what he did.  It could almost have been a bed sheet (Iike McQueens) and he would have won.

Kini's look was the only one to me though that said completely Avant Garde.

Count me with the "why is Sandyha still here" people.

Alexander really, really, really, really needs to learn to breath through is nose.  He looks like an idiot sitting there with his mouth open in EVERY SINGLE SHOT.

• Love 12

THIS was the episode when the Tim Gunn Save should have been used. 

I am absolutely furious he wasted it on Char last week.  She is a nice lady but is nowhere near Fade in skill and ability.

I so agree. I have liked Fade's looks much better than Char's. He broke my heart. It was if he had just given up. I do think his dress was too simple for avant garde but I liked the colors, the way that yellow really popped against the grey.

I really did not care at all for Sandhya's look. It was bizarre to me that the judges praised it, reminiscent of the challenges she won. I don't get it at all. I thought Korina's was the worst look, but Sandhya's was worse to me than Emily's. I did like Emily's fabric. I liked Sean's idea of having the colors appear with the rain, but I didn't care for his dress at all. I thought Kini's was the most interesting overall. I also really hated Amanda's design. Char's wasn't that interesting to me, but I liked Alexander's. I enjoyed this runway more than I thought I would when I first heard about the "rainway."

• Love 1

Yeah, but this was done by robots (extra wow factor) and left less to chance.  Similar but not the same.

Right - just as Siriano's skirt had no similiarity at all to Kini's umbrella skirt.  Sean created a one-time-only, environmentally designed/triggered pleated white dress.  The cheese stands alone, and I think conceptually that Sean - who has basically done everything he can to call Kini a dressmaker, and he may not be wrong - has lifted quite a bit if subconsciously with his not-that-avant-garde avant garde design.

Edited by Midnight Cheese
  • Love 6

This episode highlights for me how stupid the people running PR are.  We got a fairly good runway show, because the designers had two days.  We also got a couple of interesting plot arcs (will Sean's dress work, who will win between Sean and Kini).  Hell, we even got pathos from Fade's story line.  There's enough here to make an interesting show without having to resort to unreal time pressures or screaming Sandros. 

I guess if the current format makes the producers money, they aren't so stupid.  But I really miss the early seasons.  I felt like I actually used to learn something about fashion on this show.  And there was plenty of drama (if that's your thing) in the early seasons without all the producer shenanigans.  This is the first show in a long time where I felt I learned something new and didn't have to put up with artificial drama.

Edited by MrHufflepuff
  • Love 15

I liked the front of Sandhya's outfit. with that mesh-like stuff. But the jumpsuit's colors were so off. She should've went with like springy colors in that sense. I know she was inspired from the TV but she could've said it was inspired by April showers. That being said, she shouldn't have been in the top. I think she and Amanda must have a stash of pictures of the judges in compromising positions that they use to their disposal at anytime. 

I liked both Sean and Kini's outfits so I was okay with them both winning. They both worked for different reasons. 

Korina would've gone home had it not been for immunity. Instead we have Fade going home who was very good but very unnoticed by others. 

It was a nice runway show and I liked the idea of avant garde and rainway. That was pretty cool. 

• Love 6