Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E08: The Rainway

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

More thoughts on Fade after a good night's sleep.  I never disagreed with the auf decision, but my initial thought was that he had a bad day and was robbed of the TG save.  Now I accept that the auf was imminent.  Most of his designs were on the sensible side, gray, often with a splash of yellow.  The fact that he chose to continue with this same aesthetic for, of all things, an AVANT GARDE challenge was a conscious decision on his part.  Maybe even stubborn resolve?  He had 2 days to be spectacular, but he chose to do basically the same thing he's been doing all along.  Yeah, it was his time.  Having said that, his designs really appealed to me as a "normal" person.  I hope to see more of him in the future.  If he got a Macy's line or something, I would totally buy his stuff. 

• Love 2

What did Fade's spouse call him? It sounded like "presh." I wondered if Presh was Fade's real name or if Presh is a German term of endearment.

Fade somehow seemed to miss both the avant-garde & the rain. I'm puzzled about those 2 missteps.

It was fun (?) to listen to Heidi & Fade speak German.

• Love 1

I like Fade, but I disagree that Tim Gunn would have used the Save on him.  In a challenge where Fade should have exceeded, he ran out of steam.

Sean and Kini are a lock for top 2, with Sean having the edge for the win.

The judges also seem to like Sandhya and Amanda, so I can see them rounding out the Top 4.

But I thought this was what the TG save was for, to save a great designer that had a bad challenge or a bad day.  I don't think that was Char because she never really sent anything down the runway that I thought "wow! look at that, whats going on there"  There were a few dresses of Fade's where I was like "wow, what is going on there, look at those dimensions"  his work seems very cerebral, about dimensions and patterns in a way that is unexpected and beautiful.  I never felt that way about Char, I never felt she was bringing anything truly unique to the table.  She mostly just had a lot of ruffles, I remember ruffles and peplum.

More thoughts on Fade after a good night's sleep.  I never disagreed with the auf decision, but my initial thought was that he had a bad day and was robbed of the TG save.  Now I accept that the auf was imminent.  Most of his designs were on the sensible side, gray, often with a splash of yellow.  The fact that he chose to continue with this same aesthetic for, of all things, an AVANT GARDE challenge was a conscious decision on his part.  Maybe even stubborn resolve?  He had 2 days to be spectacular, but he chose to do basically the same thing he's been doing all along.  Yeah, it was his time.  Having said that, his designs really appealed to me as a "normal" person.  I hope to see more of him in the future.  If he got a Macy's line or something, I would totally buy his stuff. 

I don't know, most of the designers are dying for the avant garde challenge so they can make something weird and truly "out there" and I wonder if there is something about Fade, growing up in Eastern Germany, and not having access to a ton of materials that made it so that he expresses himself through a more simple, wearable design.  Maybe the idea of making something "really out there" just never really made sense to him, because all those crazy thoughts designers want to express through crazy avant garde design, he has always expressed through those more subtle cerebral details.  My thoughts aren't making a whole bunch of sense so I'm gonna try to explain it better....later :)

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 4

My friend and I thought of a challenge but I'm not sure if they've done this before.

Have each designer pick another designer's losing look (not any that got the person eliminated, just any non-winning look) and then re-design it to see if the new twist improves it.  I know they have had challenges where they had a second chance on one of their own designs, but I'd loooove to see another one of these people re-purpose a Sandhya or Amanda creation.  And on the flip side,  I want to see what kind of "s****** monkey with a spin art kit" ensemble Sandhya would churn out.

Also, how do they expect us to believe the runway is anonymous?  The models are permanently assigned & work with the same person until the designer is aufed right?  So, by Week 2 or 3, Zac & Heidi should start remembering who models whose clothes (I excluded Nina because she only takes notice of the important people on the runway).

A bit of topic maybe, but is one of those Samsung fridges part of the prize package?  I don't get all the oohing and ahhing.  Why do I want a fridge with TWO doors to clean?  What's the point of the clear door?  I don't typically artfully arrange my groceries once I get home, and I don't have time to give much thought to how pretty the carrots look next to the red cabbage.

• Love 6

Since many of the challenges have the same theme every season, I wonder if the designers practice techniques at home in advance of the competition and taping. For example, there's always an advant garde challenge. Even though the materials might not be predictable, maybe the designers practice a technique they hope will apply. I wonder if Kini practiced the inverted-pleat skirt technique, and Sean practiced the fabric dye experiment, at home, knowing they might be able to pull them into one of the challenges.

This may be the wrong place for this question but:

What is it about Tim Gunn & 'Under the Gunn' that everyone found so objectionable (other than that the show was kinda clumsy and stupid)?

Since you called the show clumsy and stupid I assume you watched it?  :)

The Natalia thing.  While I thought she was treated pretty heinously by Asha and the others, and I do think Tim should've nip that in the bud, I never thought he behaved that terribly.  I don't want to get off topic so that's all I'll say about it.

• Love 3

Chattygal you summed up the Tim Gunn Save perfectly. The only time it has been about skill was when it wasn't actually the Tim Gunn Save. That act of spontaneously to save Michelle became just another gimmick the show now uses.

• Love 3

Again, thank you forum -posters and Ms. B - for maintaining my grip on sanity. I sit and watch this show in isolation (teen-aged sons and Couch Hub just not that into PR) and I think I know who is the top and who is the bottom and then, when the judges weigh in, I wonder if I am just ridiculously out of touch (OK, maybe I am, but I am not SO out of touch that I think that Sandhya's clown suit with the black booties and pinwheel saran wrap vest is the freaking second coming.) But then when I go to PTV and read the forum, my sanity is restored. Allow me to echo the posters who said that the TGS was wasted on Char as she produced yet another dress with a shoulder pouf (although she seems like a lovely lady). You could see the Fade debacle coming a mile away, but I will live in hope for the next "All Stars" and his possibly triumphant return!

• Love 9

What is it about Tim Gunn & 'Under the Gunn' that everyone found so objectionable (other than that the show was kinda clumsy and stupid)?

The Tim Gunn thread has a pretty heated discussion of what happened. Suffice it to say that the elements of this show which worked for me because of Tim Gunn and his moral authority don't really work for me the way they did any more.

• Love 3

Wasn't Zac being a bitchy little boy when he piped up and stated that he and Nina strongly felt that the win should go to Sean... while Heidi and guest judge chose Kini?!?  Whose sandbox did he think he was playing in??? Good for you, Heidi.

I wonder if Sandhya is quietly, in the back of her mind, telling everyone... (including Tim)... to go fuck themselves. She didn't appear to want to have any part of Tim's suggestions/comments during the workroom inspections. The discussion about designer "comparisons" really seemed to put a puss on her face. I CAN'T get what it is that they like about her, IMHO, crazy -- NOT WHIMSICAL! --designs/clothes.  How come she never looks stylish or pulled together??  Even Wendy Pepper could look nice. 

• Love 7

What did Fade's spouse call him? It sounded like "presh." I wondered if Presh was Fade's real name or if Presh is a German term of endearment.

I just assumed it was a shortening of the endearment "precious".....No telling if that's right or not. 

• Love 4

I'm not going to lie; when the dye on Sean's dress started to release, I cheered. And I loved that he thought about using cheery-sunshiny colors to contrast with the rain. It was fun and clever as hell. 

From the look on Caitlyn Fitzgerald's face when Sandhya's model walked, I thought she was going to tear her look to shreds (rather redundant). But no such luck. I liked her as a judge though. Her comments were thoughtful. 

I like Caitlyn as a judge, too. Usually I roll my eyes at whatever actress of the moment they stick into the guest judge chair, but she actually gave cognizant, interesting input.

• Love 3

Fade somehow seemed to miss both the avant-garde & the rain. I'm puzzled about those 2 missteps.

It was fun (?) to listen to Heidi & Fade speak German.

"Presh" is what my mother calls my daughter - short for "Precious", so I assumed that's what it meant and it made me love Fade and his husband.

• Love 2

I think Sandya is emotionally tone-deaf. That is, she is very sensitive to her own feelings, but she has no idea of how to read the room. Sensitive but not empathetic. I just don't think it's in her, and I'm not sure that it's her fault. It makes her seem childlike. Also, some designs have never been seen before because they should never, ever be seen. Like Sandya's clown-windmill ensemble last night.

This is a good assessment of Sandhya's emotional intelligence.  I do wonder how much is also cultural differences coming into play.  She doesn't pick up on the subtle clues people put out, then, when they react, she doesn't understand the reaction and has a tendency to double down rather than reassessing how and what she is saying.  It's as if she is thinking they don't understand what she's saying so she should just explain it better instead of realizing they are upset by what she is saying and she would be better off apologizing and trying to soften the statement.  

Reality shows have implemented the save ostensibly to protect the good person who has an off week.  However it often seems to be used to protect a fan favorite instead.  For PR, since it is not real time, to some extent I think Tim is trying to guess who might be a fan favorite.  

Fade faded big time on this challenge.  It's a shame because in this lackluster season, he seems to be one of the better designers.  However, he doesn't seem the best at stepping out of his comfort zone, something that should be needed for PR (I say should be because the Anya win throws that idea out).  

I wish Korina didn't have immunity because that was definitely deserving of an auf.  I kind of wonder if they weren't sure in the "blind" judging which outfit belonged to Sandhya and which was Amanda's.  Maybe they were trying to get their favorite in the top?

Also, didn't Tim yet again give a designer advice that ended up being the opposite of what the judges wanted or am I imagining things?  Last week he told Kini to change the hemline which got called out on the runway.  I thought he did something similar this week.  I don't watch as closely as I used to.  

Off to get something out of my Samsung fridge.  I hear the water tastes better when it's chilled in a  Samsung.  Fade, you will be missed.  

• Love 5

I liked both the winning designs for this challenge.  I really thought Sean was going to come a cropper with that Rit idea - and amazingly it came off pretty much the way he had wanted, apart from the initial staining, ahem.  He came up with a successful way to make the most of the gimmick runway, and good for him.  I also give Sandyha credit for her pinwheel idea, even though it didn't end up working, and even though that striped jumpsuit was kind of ugly.   At least she recognized the point of the challenge.  Kini's dress did remind me of Christian Siriano's, but not so much of Leanne's petal constructions.  It reminded me  even more of  Anna McCraney's winning dresses from season one of The Fashion Show: http://www.ifashionnetwork.com/images/stories/itrends/anna%20mccraney%20tulip%20dress%20with%20mannequin.jpg

She did that cupholder dress over and over (and yes, of course  I had to look up her name - it's really hard to remember much about The Fashion Show even though I watched every season).   Kini gets points from me though, because he didn't bust out the same cupholder every time - when he did it, he had an actual reason for doing it.  It DID look like an umbrella and again, it was germane to the challenge. 

What on earth did Amanda use to put her dress together that it was just falling to pieces on the runway?

• Love 2

I loved Sean's dress. Perfect for the challenge, thought through, NEW. The colors were very springlike and the dress was pretty. Kinis was well done but I swear I've seen stuff like that before, if not meant to look like an umbrella, still, dramatic and pleated. Reminded me of the fashion show in singing in the rain. And the dress would be hot and humid and uncomfortable, whereas Sean's was eminently wearable.

Tim gunn choking up to save char.... Just ugh. It's now just who he happens to personally like, which was the problem with him on that awful Under the Gunn. His critiques are still good but I've lost the respect I once had for him.

• Love 1

Watching this episode with the knowledge of what's to come (the collections) definitely is providing interesting context. It's helping in the light of morning, even thought I was throwing things last night.

What's not so helpful: realizing we've lost a nice human being - who sent so many finished, lovely looks down the runway in this impossible mess - and still have to put up with too many insufferable, no-talent twits in the weeks to come.

Still not wild about the collections, but hoping the cream (relatively speaking) really does rise to the top. With these judges, that isn't a given.

• Love 4

Tim Gunn did not CHOOSE to Save Char over Fade.   Even if he did not save Char, he could have used it Samantha last week. 

All 3 were Safe middle of the pack designers who fell into the bottom after having a bad week.  But it's pretty obvious that none of them really had a chance of winning.

In terms of consistency, Sean is the front runner at this point, followed by Kini.  IMO, the Save would have been wasted if neither of them make it into the finals.

Edited by twilightzone

Kini's dress did remind me of Christian Siriano's, but not so much of Leanne's petal constructions.  It reminded me  even more of  Anna McCraney's winning dresses from season one of The Fashion Show: ht

tp://www.ifashionn...h mannequin.jpg

I was coming here to post the same thing.  Of course, it took a lot of internet searching to find what I was looking for since all I could remember was that it was a show with Isaac Mizhrahi (sp) from a few years ago.  Made quite the impression on me, didn't it?!

Edited by SweetSable
  • Love 1

Wasn't Zac being a bitchy little boy when he piped up and stated that he and Nina strongly felt that the win should go to Sean... while Heidi and guest judge chose Kini?!?  Whose sandbox did he think he was playing in??? Good for you, Heidi.

With respect--no, Zac was doing the job he was hired to do; giving his honest opinion as a designer regarding the clothes the contestants made to answer a challenge. He was showing integrity and letting the others know that he disagreed with their subjective pronouncements. As the results were a tie, he also obviously refused to be swayed or bullied into changing his mind. Agree with his choice or not, he was simply doing what he was hired to do.

• Love 13

I don't know that anyone objects to that. It was the context and her timing that was tacky.

I don't think it was tacky. Everyone was talking about how they placed and how much Alexander McQueen's name had been tossed around. She added she wanted to win and that she didn't think hers was comparable to any other designers which was why she should win. Maybe her remark wasn't tactful, but to me it wasn't tacky. Its not like she said anything the other designers couldn't figure out on their own. What's the point of being a designer if you're just following someone else.

The show had an underlying bullying component a la season 8 of PR with one of the designers Nick Verroes mentored, Natasha. It was very reminiscent of Michael Costello and accusations he couldn't sew. Not helped by the fact that other designer mentors Mondo (season 8) and Anya (season 9? Chick that actually can't sew and still won) got in on it. Nick was also treated somewhat disdainfully as well. Tim Gunn got on  and has done interviews condoning the treatment.

going to replicate another famous designer?

I also throw my vote into the WTF column with Amanda's epic fail. Who the hell else has gotten away without even a call out regarding a garment falling apart on the runway? Total BS--and that's not even addressing that fact that the dress was ugly as hell.

Santino from Season 2. Kara's jumpsuit or sweatpants were bursting at the seams. It poorly designed (IMO)  and poorly constructed, but the judges ate it up...

Edited because upon rereading, I couldn't understand what I wrote. How could anyone else? :)

Edited by PrincessEnnui
  • Love 4

I also throw my vote into the WTF column with Amanda's epic fail. Who the hell else has gotten away without even a call out regarding a garment falling apart on the runway? Total BS--and that's not even addressing that fact that the dress was ugly as hell.

Santino from Season 2. Kara's jumpsuit or sweatpants were bursting at the seams. It poorly designed (IMO)  and poorly constructed, but the judges ate it up...

Dang--good point and I stand corrected. Both choices incomprehensible...

I don't happen to care for Sandhya's Punky Brewster aesthetic, but that isn't what gets under my skin about her.  It's her arrogance.  Here's where I'm coming from: The minute Tim Gunn began offering his critique, she shuts him down.  Facial expression, body language, tone of voice, all made it clear that she had no intention of listening to a single thing he had to say. She was so condescending as she dismissed his concern that the propellers might not turn in the rain.  Then later, when they did not, in fact, turn, she was surprised.  Gee, girl, shame nobody tried to help you think that through.  That getup looked perfect for a cross-dressing Ronald McDonald.

Here's my rant: Whenever someone who's really respected in their field offers advice, you should at least be willing to take it on board and consider it.  You don't have to end up incorporating any of it into your work, but show some respect for their perspective.  I am so over the attitude of "I am an artist, therefore anything I produce must necessarily be art.  And if you don't like it, it's only because you're too unevolved to appreciate my staggering genius."  Yeah, not so much.  Bad art, bad music, bad fashion -- they're everywhere.  I wonder if these people were praised lavishly as toddlers for their every bowel movement.  It seems like the only explanation.  Rant over.

No artist or designer wants to be called derivative.  So when Sandhya announced that unlike the others, she wants to create pieces that aren't like other designers, she was saying, in effect, that the rest of the designers are creating derivative work and that they're fine with that.  It's insulting.

I was glad that Kini finally got a win, and agreed that both he and Sean produced the best looks.  I also loved Alexander's raincoat, it was fun and colorful and surprisingly practical.  Everything else left me cold.

Edited by FineWashables
  • Love 18

Actually, I think everyone is thinking of Anna McCraney who won Isaac Mizrahi's short lived "the Fashion Show" that was on Bravo after Project Runway made the jump to Lifetime. Leanne did petals/scales, not tulips.

No, I was thinking of Leanne Marshall. Her designs were not as structured as Kini's but the same design just turned upside down.

My current theory is that Sandhya's family has invested heavily in this network or is a silent sponsor of the show, because that was the single most unflattering garment ever put on a female form. When you manage to make a 6 foot tall 105 pound model look like a Tijuana food truck, you're in the wrong line of business.

While I agree on the unflatteringness (is that a word?) of Sandhya's outfit, this was an Avant Garde challenge, the outfits didn't have to be wearable, this was basically to show off the designer's artistic ability, not make clothes to sell. Sean's idea was great, but there's no way it would work in real life.

There's a forum for Under the Gunn right under the Project Runway forum (it's called Project Runway Under the Gunn). Read some of the threads & you'll see.

• Love 3

Sean's made me cry.  I actually teared up and cried.  Also. ...... he's hot.  Oh, and his model is always fantastic.  He got really lucky with her.  I definitely recognized the McQueen reference, but he did a good job of doing his own spin on it, and I guess he's lucky that was 15 years ago.

Great job pointing out that Christian Soriano dress!  I didn't know about that one, or forgot.  I love Kini, but one thing: I desperately wanted his model to wear a bra for this piece.

I'm so sorry to all the Fade fans here.  That blows.  

With all of the debate over Amanda's personality, she made me laugh when she jokingly imitated a pretentious grad student who "just wants to celebrate" the vagina. 

What I thought, was that Amanda was going to incorporate "the falling eyes" with the whole rain thing, like make that the idea.  Like the eyes winking off the dress or something?  It doesn't really make sense, but maybe with more thought she could have made it work.  And have the falling eyes be intentional somehow.

I continue to like Sandhya and her designs.  Though it was hilarious to have her be intentionally insensitive this week (I think) but then next week preview her begging for compassion.  I mean, come on, that is hilarious!

Even if an "actor" had the "smartest" or best opinions in the world, I'd still object to her being there for a guest judge.  I can understand a fashion icon like Sarah Jessica Parker or even someone like Zoe Saldana who's often recognized for her style.  But an actor that this tv and movie fanatic has never heard of.  No.  Thank you.  Please god no.

I thought it was all very obvious that it was an act for the cameras that the producers (Heidi?) had requested.  That's why everyone was smirking at each other, they were obviously uncomfortable and embarrassed to be play acting.  It's just to justify to the audience why Kini and Sean were tied this week (my opinion).

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

Fade specifically said at the beginning "I'm excited about the Avant Garde challenge...I would call many of my own pieces Avant Garde".    I still don't understand why this particular challenge crushed him so utterly.  

It seemed predetermined.   His name is Fade, after all.

I felt like his t-shirts were giving off subliminal messages last night.  One said "Make it Stop" (vs. the show theme is "Make It Work" -- Fade couldn't make it work).   Another said "Atheist," which made me think "He doesn't have a prayer." 

Edited by millennium
  • Love 4

I thought it was all very obvious that it was an act for the cameras that the producers (Heidi?) had requested.  That's why everyone was smirking at each other, they were obviously uncomfortable and embarrassed to be play acting.  It's just to justify to the audience why Kini and Sean were tied this week (my opinion).

YES. The whole thing was as fake as the Diary Room entries on Big Brother. Just look at Nina's face. Her expression at one point turns into "Are we done with this acting yet?" while the camera is still on her.

• Love 1

My friend and I thought of a challenge but I'm not sure if they've done this before.

Have each designer pick another designer's losing look (not any that got the person eliminated, just any non-winning look) and then re-design it to see if the new twist improves it.  I know they have had challenges where they had a second chance on one of their own designs, but I'd loooove to see another one of these people re-purpose a Sandhya or Amanda creation.  And on the flip side,  I want to see what kind of "s****** monkey with a spin art kit" ensemble Sandhya would churn out.

They did that last season, with the design their competitors were aufed over (the exception was Justin, who got the Tim Gunn save, who nadded up and picked the garment he was aufed over). The egregious Helen got one of her unjustified wins for picking her buddy Kate's loser and not using a single thing from it in her garment. The judges liked it much better.

I don't know, you guys. I can see the arguments that Sandhya's aesthetic is influenced by her culture, but honestly--if anyone else had made a badly fitted, technicolor clown jumpsuit reminiscent of a uniform from Hot Dog On A Stick, covered by a plastic, whirligig-covered rain slicker vest, they would have been shown the door right away.  It was ugly. It was garish. It was childish. It was in bad taste. I just can't see anything redeeming about what she made AT ALL.

• Love 16

I appreciate how this season is coming down to ideas vs. execution, with Sandhya at the center of that.  I really hope that the stuff the judges said about her after she was backstage- about how she needs to up her execution- were said to her as well because I agree with the comment upthread that she has a kind of arrogance around her, and giving her all these compliments isn't going to help that.  I actually loved that the judges mentioned it, because otherwise I was having another WTF moment with them. 

I liked the idea of the dual win, but I also think this challenge demanded that immunity be given to the winner.  I'm also half-expecting that next week is a team challenge and they're captains or something, so the dual win had a purpose, but that's because I've been watching too many Gordon Ramsay shows.

I go back and forth on what I think about Sean's dye dress.  I love, however, that I'm thinking about the dress still.  It's like old-school PR that way. 

I actually didn't think any of the looks were a total fail, except for Korina's.  I may have been blinded by the theatrics of it all- lights! rain! fewer comments between contestants!

I wonder if this challenge will have a larger impact on who makes the finale, because unlike the others it gave a glimpse at what they can produce with time, and a little flash of what they would do to put on a show.  I almost wish they'd made it the deciding challenge because of that, it's going to be tough to go back to normal.

• Love 1

I am so over the attitude of "I am an artist, therefore anything I produce must necessarily be art.

Some have wondered if she is coming off in a particular way due to cultural differences.  I think not.  She seems to me to be  a self-important, self-involved, pain in the ass with zero self-awareness.   Another example...when she was speaking to Tim and described sewing different color stripes off fabric as having made her own fabric as though she performed some interesting and innovative manipulation of materials.   She does have a bit of a whimsy going on, and that along with the attraction to bright colors had me thinking she should either go into costuming or children's wear...then they showed the clip for next week which seems to discount the latter.  Looks like she'll be having another "poor me" meltdown too.

Far too many special thoughts from Amanda.  The focus upon her is inexplicable to me.  I could understand if this was a show about her particular journey in the fashion world, but it's odd during a competition with a number of contestants.  It's not only the decisions of the judges that seems off, editing oddly off as well.

• Love 3

ooh, I better clarify: Sandhya is far from the only designer to pull the "I'm an artist" schtick on Project Runway.  There isn't anyone but her this season who is as clearly invested in it as she is, but we see it every single season from at least one designer, and that's why I'm so sick of it.  It's so universal that I can't believe it's particular to any one person's cultural background.

(It's like on Top Chef where the contestants, told that their food wasn't very tasty, complain that the judges "don't get" their dish.  And now I'm going to turn off my tv.)  

Edited by FineWashables
  • Love 5

I am not in agreement that the save should have automatically gone to Fade.  True, he deserved it more than Char did, but I never found anything he did to be that interesting.  Compotent, well-made, tasteful---yes, but worthy of a save so I can see his Fashion Week Collection--no. I wonder if Fade would be so popular with the fans here if his name was something like Hans?  And yes I do like Fade, just wasn't that crazy about him.

I think Char seems like a cool person and she seems to be well liked, but it makes me seriously question Tim's judgement and impartiality that he used the save on her.  This was clearly a 'playing favorites' decision on his part, because Char has not put anything down the runway that was indicative of major talent.  Tim's save should not even be considered until we are down to 6 or less in my opinion.  Ugh--used to love Time so much but Under the Gunn shattered the facade and now this decision continues to show the flaws....  I admit during the first episode of this season I was waiting for Tim to say "WHERE'S ISABELL?!?"

I call Kini and Sean for the final.  I tend to think maybe Sandya as the third person, but something tells me she might make a fatal mistake between now and then.  As strange as some of Sandya's work can be, I am intrigued to see what she would come up with in a final collection.  God, please just don't let it be Amanda.    I think Kini is great but I'm not sure if he is really has a design vision or is just a damn good sewer/tailor.  I think Sean may have more of a creative vision, but can't touch Kini in the construction department.  I think someone upthread said if you could combine Kini & Sean into one person, it would be an amazing designer and I totally agree with that idea.

Edited by Joan van Snark
  • Love 1

Personally I don’t see Amanda winning this. The conspiracy theorist that I am, it just seems like a rehash of when Kate was brought back. They’ll laud her work in order to make it seem like her coming back was justified, but then eventually the judges will blindside her with an aufing for doing the exact same stuff she’s been praised for in all the previous challenges.

Sandhya reminds me of a more petulant Patricia Michaels. And the judges’ praise of her is equally reminiscent of it. On the one hand, I appreciate that Heidi seems to want PR to help give voice to non-Western/Eurocentric aesthetics with Sandhya’s Indian and Patricia’s Taos Pueblo backgrounds influencing their designs.

BUT, especially in the case of Sandhya, OF COURSE you can be “different” when the judges aren’t really holding you accountable for form and function. For all the talk about Sandhya having “new ideas” and a signature look, I just think, well yeah… because the judges don’t make her adhere to the construction rules that everyone else does. Pull away all the wickety whack on her garments, and the basic construction falls way, way short. I always thought the whole idea behind PR was that, sure, you should present a new idea, but since the contestants are responsible for sewing their own garments (as opposed to a show like “Fashion Star,” where seamstresses worked in conjunction with the designers) because you have to demonstrate an ability to synthesize your vision with the realities of basic design skills. Sandhya might have atypical ideas, but to me it’s ridiculous that she isn’t being taken to task for the lack of design underneath all the props.

• Love 6

I don't know that anyone objects to that. It was the context and her timing that was tacky.

I don't think it was tacky. Everyone was talking about how they placed and how much Alexander McQueen's name had been tossed around. She added she wanted to win and that she didn't think her's was comparable to any other designers which was why she should win. Maybe her remark wasn't tactful, but to me it wasn't tacky. Its not like she said anything the other designers couldn't figure out on their own. 

Of course. Again, neither her remarks (either the sentiment behind them nor even the uttering of them) were at issue. In fact, I agree with her. It was her timing.

For someone to choose that moment - when those in the bottom were feeling bad about themselves and cut down by the judges remarks after Sandya had been in the top was a breech of etiquette that in the real world often reflects a lack of epathy or some other character deficit.  In that context it cam off as a kind of gloating via humblebragging, not just her perspective. 

Not a huge deal, but poor sportsmanship, IMO.

So.... I know that the open pleats Kimi did at the top of his umbrella played center stage in at least two other dresses on PR. Can anyone remember whichseasonwhatwho?

Edited by Gumby
  • Love 3

Sandhya is far from the only designer to pull the "I'm an artist" schtick on Project Runway.

Kenley ("I'm not a copy-cat!") and that weird guy from Laura's season--the one who told her to stuff some Harry Winston's up her nose. there are more but those two are my favorites.

• Love 3
 As soon as I saw Alexander's, I flashed to Joanna Cassidy's character in Blade Runner.

Oh holy smoke...now I want to break out my dvd of that - you are so right!  

Ya know, when Tim was gushing about how it was the best runway show it made me think he'd found the stash of crack left over from when Kors and Garcia gave Gretchen the win in Season 8.  It wasn't good then and it sure as hell hasn't aged well.  Throw that shit away Tim! 

• Love 3

I think Fade was tremendously dispirited—and entirely justifiably—by the lack of recognition his great designs got from the judges. I thought he made elegant, beautiful, sophisticated, and, yes, thoughtful clothes. I would've given up too. How confusing it must have been to see his work dismissed so easily as middle tier, when inferior designers got accolades. Go, Fade, go like the wind....somewhere where your excellence is appreciated and rewarded.

• Love 15