Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E08: The Rainway

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I hate when they give it away who's going home by showing the sad phone call home. Everyone knew in first 20 min of the show.

Yeah, but not cuz of the call.   His design sucked.    At one stage it looked like something you'd wear to work in the transporter room.

Too bad Kini had to share his win with the increasingly insufferable Sean.  I agree with whichever judge who said the dress by itself was "banal."  The colors that came out in the rain was cool, but it was a cool gimmick, leaving nothing but a stained, banal dress out of the rain.  And the yellowish-orangeish color around the middle was an unfortunate choice and placement. 

Of all the designers this season, you single out Kini for taste issues?  Shut up, Sean.

Without the gimmickry, Sean's dress would have been an utter fail.

I don't think he deserved all those kudos for basically doing the Project Runway version of the vinegar-and-baking-soda volcano.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 13

Okay, I don't like Korina, and I didn't like her design, but I hate when they use non-fashion-related celebrities as judges and I wish they would stop, so I loved Korina's dismissive "bitch please" attitude when the actress started critiquing her design. 

• Love 7

I thought Fade's dress did look like a t-shirt I would never wear, but I like him so I'm sad he's gone. I wanted Emily to leave because I tend her find her stuff so...I don't know, cheesy? Her thing today was such a cheesy little "armor" thing. Whoever above said it looked like a pill bug was so right. And I'm also tired of looking at her dumb hair. 

Amanda's eye dress looked like crap. And Korina evidently picked up some crafting tips from her this week.

My feelings about Sandyha have been pretty sufficiently expressed by others, so I won't repeat them, except to say that I love how her response to Tim's "try not to make it look so juvenile" was to stick a bunch of pinwheels all over it. Yeah, ok. 

• Love 7

Okay, I don't like Korina, and I didn't like her design, but I hate when they use non-fashion-related celebrities as judges and I wish they would stop, so I loved Korina's dismissive "bitch please" attitude when the actress started critiquing her design.

I thought she was pretty fantastic for an actress judge. I agreed with nearly everything she said. And she was the first judge to talk about Sandya's clear taste issues.

• Love 10

Alexander really, really, really, really needs to learn to breath through is nose. He looks like an idiot sitting there with his mouth open in EVERY SINGLE SHOT.

He really does look like he's out of the special school on a day pass or something!

• Love 12

I hated Amanda's this week but Fade's man, that was sad.  Sad from a guy who has been doing so well.  It seemed like he ran out of steam.  He didn't really try this week.  When you got nothing and it's avant garde week?  Give them everything, Fade, everything.  Alas.  But his was the worst look.  

• Love 6

Emily's reminded me of a pill bug. 

But pill bugs are adorable * and are flexible enough to roll up into a ball... neither of which described Emily's dress (which to me looked rather stiff and like it might hurt somebody if you tried to flex it in any way.)

* Okay that part might just be me. ; ) , but the flexible criticism is valid, I think.

I love Sean's idea but wish the dress had been a little more innovative in terms of shape BUT the waterproof crinolene was ingenious! Having said that, I can see a line of one-time-wear-for-impact then wear-other-time outfits for someone to purchase and wear!.  Very happy that he, and Kini (yay), won.

I agree with everything you say here. Also this dress, like one or two of Sean's others, seemed to have some problems near the top (It appeared to be coming dangerously close to a wardrobe malfunction at some points to me). And because there was dye color there - leaving it white later - that made the sparseness of the top even more noticeable. For me it rode a little high up onto the bust area. Also, if I'm remembering correctly, I didn't much like Sean's styling of his model either

Count me among those who don't think Kini's dress was all that similar to Christian's (and I really liked Christian and his aesthetic), and neither was the look as whole for me. Looking at Christian's I see a more "soft" feel with the almost fluffy skirt and the soft lacy edges of the floppy hat. I don't get that at all from Kini's design and overall look. I also liked the gloves with the pleated effect that Kini made. And the whole umbrella thing was a great idea, in my opinion.

Surprisingly I think what annoyed me the most about Sandyha's comments was her one about her thinking that he rain would be harder, like it was somehow the rain's fault that her pinwheels didn't spin. When she spun them herself to demonstrate, I remember thinking that the models likely would have had to be pelted by sleet to get them to move. Unlike Sean's idea, Sandyha could have taken a few and tried to see if she could get them to spin, since the material looked liked it would have dried easily and held up to getting wet. I strangely actually liked the pattern the pinwheels made on the jacket, but not the ones hanging down. The jumpsuit though, I can only say yeesh. I think someone needs to let Sandyha know that she doesn't have to have all the colors in her designs at one time. The fabric won't mind if you leave it at mood, and sometimes you can't take cheap-looking colors/ fabric and create a "beautiful" textile just because you want to. But then again she ended up in the top, so what do I know.

• Love 11

I don't know what happened to Amanda in a basement between 1976-1982, but it must have been fantastic because she is in love with that time period and feeling.

Yeah, I get that vibe too. I didn't see anything resembling Cleopatra in her design.

Alexander is fan favorite again? He's a mouth breather.

• Love 5

If Alexander wins money from always being a fan favorite, I hope he goes directly to an ENT/plastic surgeon.  Me and my armchair MD degree have diagnosed him with severe allergies and a deviated septum.

HEE! I was just telling someone that I can sympathize with Alexander. I have trigeminal neuralgia & chronic sinuses. As a result of the neuralgia only one nostril works so I'm constantly congested and a bit of a mouth breather like Alexander. I'm always self conscious of it and try to do things to disguise the fact that I need my mouth open for air so I kinda feel bad that every shot of Alexander has him looking like a fish out of water.

• Love 4

Sandhya, Hot dog on a stick called.  They ordered striped hats, not striped jumpsuits.

Hey, did you know Samsung makes refrigerators?  Kini and Fade performed beautifully in the Samsung makes the greatest refrigerators ever skit; that is, until Fade chuckled near the end. 

There was actually one shot in which Alexander’s mouth was closed.  At least now I can imagine he doesn’t eat with his mouth open and food tumbling out.

• Love 15

Too bad Kini had to share his win with the increasingly insufferable Sean.  I agree with whichever judge who said the dress by itself was "banal."  The colors that came out in the rain was cool, but it was a cool gimmick, leaving nothing but a stained, banal dress out of the rain.  And the yellowish-orangeish color around the middle was an unfortunate choice and placement.

This, so much.

Last week, Kini got killed because of one thing only - the top didn't fit.

This week - sorry but Sean's top DID NOT FIT his model.  Her boobs were sticking out the sides all over the place.

The dress was BORING and even after it spun around (not DURING its spinning, AFTER its spinning) it looked drab and - still - ill-fitting on the top.

What the fuck?

• Love 8

I am very happy with the winners. When I saw how the judges were split, I knew what was going to happen because there was no more immunity, so they had nothing to lose, but I wish Tim still had his save this week. 

Liked
Char-I just thought it was interesting
Kini-Made me think of Blade Runner
Sean-Great idea, & it actually worked

OK
Emily-Looked like a villain from a Batman movie
Fade-Seemed too simple, not Avant Garde. I would have kept him instead of Sandhya.

Didn’t Like
Alexander-Looked like a huge weird raincoat.
Korina- All the silver looked cheap
Amanda-Just ugly, didn’t like the colors either.

Sandhya- How did the judges not hate it? It made me think of this

Edited by GaT
  • Love 10

How dare Sandhya(sp?) want to be her own designer! How dare she want to leave her own thumbprint on the fashion world! [/sarcasm] Why is it that the second someone says they want to be their own man/woman, whatever, someone else objects to their expression of individuality.

I liked Sandhya's design, but I am tired of jumpsuits. I still remember someone from a previous season being raked over the coals for doing one. Now it seems that is all the designers can do. :D

I like Kini's, but I think a shade of red or blue mixed with the black would have served him well. *shrug* I am not fashionable though.

• Love 11
How dare Sandhya(sp?) want to be her own designer! How dare she want to leave her own thumbprint on the fashion world! [/sarcasm] Why is it that the second someone says they want to be their own man/woman, whatever, someone else objects to their expression of individuality.

I don't know that anyone objects to that. It was the context and her timing that was tacky.

Edited by Gumby
  • Love 18

It's hard to see anything new and different and not derivative in a design competition with time constraints that don't allow designers' ideas to breathe and grow, but I do think it's possible and I do think it's preferable. That's why I am able to appreciate Sandhya so much, because as wacky and often as tacky as some of her ideas and designs seem to be, I can at least say they're original, they only need bigger budgets and editing. That being said, I'm upset with tonight's results. I don't believe Sandhya should have won, but I really don't think anyone should have one, she was just the closest thing.

Throughout the season, I don't think I've seen anything from Kini that has made me say, "Wow that's different" or "I've never seen that before." He is a skilled seamstress, but not a great designer. For all the extra time he has, I expect him to be able to alter and edit and take more risk. Tonight, his design was very Cristian Siriano finale collection, as has been mentioned, with the bottom half being Alexander McQueen Fall 2011. While I was watching, I was thinking Alexander McQueen Fall 2009 the whole time.

Sean seems to have a little bit of design in him, but tonight's entry for me was weak. It was also Alexander McQueen-esque, Spring 1999, but I'll give him the dye idea vs the painting robots as original. What I cannot bear is that the dress wasn't particularly beautiful, with or without the color. It was basic as hell and depended on a trick that in the end made it look basic as hell. The dress needed to be simple for the dye to function (the Shalom Harlow '99 dress was even simpler than this in order to serve as a canvas) but for me, his dress didn't have any softness or grace about it, and read as home sewn.

The cherry on top is that they then send someone home for being cliché and derivative. Someone please introduce the judges to the McQueen archives.

• Love 4

This episode....

1. Well, now would have been a great time to use the Tim Gunn save,instead of for someone who basically sent a giant multicolored ruffle down the runway.

2. Shandaya - I know I talk shit about editing, but man did she ever look bad saying that stuff in the waiting room.

3. Shandaya - that outfit looked absolutely awful. She is not as "original" as she thinks either, its just that no one knows the name of the guy who first designed the clown suit.  And with that ugly ass thing over it, goodness no.

4. Fade - I didn't hate it, I thought it was an interesting idea, but I don't think his aesthetic lends itself to the traditional understanding of avant garde.  His style has always been more understated and cerebral.  I think his idea referenced something different and interesting and so I would have kept him.  Emily's on the other hand does look exactly like what we have seen before, and some of it, from her.  There is always a designer that wants to go the "female warrior wearing armor" route, and this is like the 3rd look where she has done some reference to a hood or headpiece.  So, I think the bottom two was close, but based on the originality of the idea, I would have probably sent Emily home.  although sadly, I agree with Fade being in the bottom.  

5. Bottom 3 - I think if the designer with immunity is in the bottom three, they should make it a bottom 4.  There should be three people to choose from to send home.

6. 2 day challenge!!!!

7. Guest judge - what the hell is it with the guest judges.  Goodness, did she go to design school?  Or does she just somehow have a super special knowledge about fashion because she got cast in a TV show.  By the way, someone told me to watch Masters of Sex, and now I absolutely refuse.  I don't want to support anything she is on.

• Love 4

I just do not get the Kini love on here and by the judges, never uses color, never any originality it's all  stuff I have seen before. Sean isn't that great either, and in most seasons he would be in the middle of the pack.

• Love 5

YOU TOTALLY READ MY MIND!!!  I kept thinking about Christian when Kini's model was on the runway!  

Sean's was awesome, I loved the spin the model did to get the hem wet.

I thought Korina's idea was awesome, but I'm super happy she mucked it up so horribly.

I didn't hate Amanda's look this week.  That's a first for me.

Sean's model is pretty awesome.  I wish they would bring back the part where the designers would pick their models, because I wonder if the designers would fight for Sean's model.  She seemed to walk slowly to give the rain a chance to really wet the dress, and she did that twirl in the middle.  But, as someone has pointed out, at least one of the designers has a model with the face of a man, and Sean has a model who sells everything he makes.  So I wonder what would happen if they had that competition for models at the start of the show.

I also was not a fan of Amanda's look, and it pissed me off that the judges did not call her out on the fact that the dress started to fall apart on the run/rainway, especially given that they finally had two days for the challenge.  I though the materials were ugly, the design was ugly, the dress was ugly....okay - I'll admit it - I don't like Amanda.  :-)

You know, strangely, when Amanda was describing her idea, it sounded very interesting, but the actual dress....zoypes.  And I'm unclear about why it was falling apart or why she was worried about it, didn't she sew everything together?

That guest judge was particularly bad IMO, and then she started to use various design terms, and it was just too much.  I guess the mean sound bites are the ones that will get you camera time.  

If Alexander wins money from always being a fan favorite, I hope he goes directly to an ENT/plastic surgeon.  Me and my armchair MD degree have diagnosed him with severe allergies and a deviated septum.

LMAO....I'm all about keeping health care cost effective, so how about I just spring for a binder clip and we can just clip his mouth shut until he has to talk.

Sandhya, Hot dog on a stick called.  They ordered striped hats, not striped jumpsuits.

Hey, did you know Samsung makes refrigerators?  Kini and Fade performed beautifully in the Samsung makes the greatest refrigerators ever skit; that is, until Fade chuckled near the end. 

There was actually one shot in which Alexander’s mouth was closed.  At least now I can imagine he doesn’t eat with his mouth open and food tumbling out.

I thought it was funny when Fade was like "and the water tastes so much better because it came out of the Samsung refrigerator."  Oh Fade, I hope you never lose that sense of humor!

Headline-

"Sandhya Garg Named To Design New HotDog-On-a-Stick Uniform; Workers Opt For Current Uniform"

Man, if only it had been Hot Dog on a Stick and not Red Robin who was the sponsor!

I thought of this from Thom Browne's Spring 2015 collection

mini.jpg

I'm not sure who Thom Browne is, but this reminds me of that Hitchcock movie "The Birds"  This look also makes me itchy, its just too much

• Love 9

That sucked. Fade had a fade out when he's shown he's capable of much more and deserves to stay over the likes of less talented designers there, e.g., Amanda or that one who was already eliminated and has never done anything remarkable. Moreover, my favorite, Kini, gets his long overdue win but for a challenge where I didn't think he really deserved it. 

Way to go, Sean. He really rose to the occasion and exceeded the expectations of the challenge. 

What I could definitely use less of is opening with the weekly How Sandhya Feels About Last Week's Auf interview. If she really feels that bad about designers with skills and talent losing their dream she should take her amateur hour ass home and learn how to design and sew. Someone in the Weinstein organization definitely has a vested interest in making that woman happy, because since week one's Miss Havisham makes a dress out of Scarlett O'Hara's bedspread win I haven't seen her make anything that was even interestingly bad, let along praiseworthy. This week was even less of an exception than most. High taste level my Aunt Fanny.

Could spend less time with Amanda, too. Her model looked like a wet caterpillar was crawling up her. I didn't mind Char's. It reminded me of some kind of fungus springing up after a rain. Korinna's deserved to go home more than Fade did, JMO.

In this week's designers who are on the show for some reason other than the narrative news, Sean, and to a lesser extent Kini, deserved their win, JMO, which is nice to see occasionally. I haz a sad about Fade. 

Edited by Julia
  • Love 6

I wonder if Fade misunderstood the challenge and thought he had to incorporate the TV into the design. He's the only one who did that, right? And he seems to have been the only one who didn't somehow tie in the rain.

I'm really sad to see him go. I loved the shot in the guys' hotel room where he's sitting on the dresser. He looked like a little statue to me (in a good way!).

I do laugh each week when, once again, Alexander is fan favorite.

• Love 1

My current theory is that Sandhya's family has invested heavily in this network or is a silent sponsor of the show, because that was the single most unflattering garment ever put on a female form. When you manage to make a 6 foot tall 105 pound model look like a Tijuana food truck, you're in the wrong line of business.

I'm now over all of them. There isn't one that I really feel excited to see on the runway, or even half interested. I'm getting such a Season 9 2.0 vibe this year.

• Love 19

My current theory is that Sandhya's family has invested heavily in this network or is a silent sponsor of the show

But gosh, it's an anonymous run, er, rainway! How would the judges know that the magpie's nest of shiny debris and brightly colored rags coming down the runway every week was by Sandhya?

• Love 11

Since I'm less emotional this morning, I'm going to give Tim Gunn the benefit of the doubt.  He knows the order of the challenges and what the judges truly think of everybody.   Last week when he saved Char, he probably felt that Fade would do fine in the upcoming challenges.

Fade seemed to be the perfect designer to kill an Avant Garde challenge, so Tim probably assumed he'd be safe & could use his save on Char.  I'll bet he never dreamed Fade would flame out so completely. 

• Love 9

Some highs and lows this week, but overall I really enjoyed the episode.  It was right to give co-winners this week.  Both Sean and Kini really did great jobs and produced outfits that were perfect for the theme and the rain conditions.   As for the auffing, I think either Korina or Amanda should have gone home instead.

The Good

Alexander:   I loved that crazy coat.  The purple swirls or petals looked great in the rain.  It was a good design for rain and bright lights.  It sparkled and was fun.  

Kini:  OMG, I loved this.  The top half was a little bondage-y, but Tim was right.  You didn't need an elaborate top that would distract from that skirt.  Great outfit.  He deserved the win.

Sandhya:   Crazy and awesome.  A bit overdone?  Maybe, but this was an avant garde challenge.  I love seeing what Sandhya sends down the runway.  Not the winner, but a really good outfit.

Sean:  WOW.  WOW.  WOW.   I loved this and loved how he played into the theme directly.   Excellent work and deserved the win.

The Bad

Amanda:  This outfit is proof that the judges are insane or Amanda is blackmailing them.  OMG.  Ugly.  Unflattering.  Falling apart as the model walked down the runway.   This was a friggin mess.  How was she not in the bottom?  The only positive thing I can say is that the dress involved neither fringe nor see through fabric.  She should have gone home.

Emily:   The model looked like a villainess from a Buck Rogers movie.  It's kind of on the cusp between Bad and Meh for me.  Just not interesting.

Fade:  I'm really sorry to see him go home.  This was his second so-so outfit in a row.  That said, it was MUCH better than what Amanda and Korina sent down the runway.   He should get another week and one of them should have been sent packing.

Korina:  This outfit was so bad that the judges should have revoked her immunity and sent her home.  The original thunderbird idea in blue and black was a good start, but she lacks the skill and imagination to pull it off.  That coat last week was an anomaly, gorgeous but just a rift on a standard western coat.  This week, she's back in form as a suck-tastic designer.  Put her out of her misery and send her home.

The Meh

Char:  I really liked this, but not enough to put it in the top.  Char did well in breaking out of her rut with this outfit.   

It was interesting seeing Sandhya make the comment about not being in the style of another designer, instead being herself.  Maybe it was a miss-timed statement, but it's true.  You aren't supposed to be in the competition or in design in general to get as close to the look of another designer as possible.  The really interesting thing, however, was seeing Amanda interpret Sandhya's comments.  Amanda's telling bore little resemblance to what we just saw in the clip.  Girlfriend does like to exaggerate and stir up trouble.   Amanda came out of that looking a lot worse than Sandhya did.

I love Christian Sirrano, but I think I like Kini's version better.

• Love 8

There's nothing new under the sun, including and especially fashion, so I have no problem with some references here and there.

Kini turned his model into the umbrella and the skirt was beautifully done so I thought he deserved his shared win. Yes, I thought of Siriano's finale runway collection and fleetingly of Leanne Marshall and her unending pleats and folds (some of which were exquisite) and even a bit of McQueen, but then what designer ISN'T influenced by McQueen? I don't really see that Kini is any less of a designer than Sean who basically made an elongated majorette uniform for his first win and has bored me to tears ever since.

I loved the idea of the dye in the rain, but the dress itself was ugly. Sorry, I know that's probably not a popular opinion, but I would have liked to see a little style on the dress instead of sundress with pleated ruffles.

The ONLY thing that makes Tim Gunn's save of Charketa worthwhile is every week in the workroom when it looks to me he is thinking, "OH MY GERD, WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT?????????"  Is it just me or could the look on his face when he is critiquing her be any more puzzled?

Emily needs to go posthaste... she seems like a nice lady but needs to be designing for Hot Topic right after she makes me one of her Ewok hoodies.

Not an Amanda fan, but when she was watching the eyeball fall off her dress and said eyeball down, eyeball down, I thought she was quite funny and self aware. She kinda knew it was a POS. With these designers, I don't even care if she makes it to the top 3 or 4, whatever they choose to do this year. I just want her to stay LONGER than both Charketa and Korina.

Awww Fade.... we all knew he was getting the loser edit from the first of the show. Way to build suspense, Bunim/ Murray. I'm sad to see him go so early and I hope huge success for him in the future.

Korina's and Sandhya's were hilarious, although not in the same way. I did get the whimsy of Sandhya's and there was something about the construction of the front of that overlay that I really dug. HATE jumpsuits, though. Korina is just not good, IMHO. Last week was totally a fluke, again IMHO, because she could design using her pseudo southwest textiles and make a long, ill-fitting coat just like all the shite in her portfolio. This week, she had to try to be creative and pretend to be all avant-garde'y so of course, she drew a blank. At least we didn't have to hear her say (say it with me), "What am I going to do to fix this?" I want her gone last week.

• Love 7

I thought I was going to hate the rainway, but I actually enjoyed it. It forced the designers to think outside the box. 

Sandhya can take her pinwheels and go home. It's a pretty arrogant statement to proclaim that your looks have NEVER been influenced by another designer. Ask Zac or MK or any long standing designer. They all influence each other and they reference designers from the past and present,

Sean - awesome. 

Kini - awesome. Unlike the judges, I thought the hat was a perfect touch

The rest were either bad or meh.  

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 4

Yeah, but not cuz of the call.   His design sucked.    At one stage it looked like something you'd wear to work in the transporter room.

I don't think he deserved all those kudos for basically doing the Project Runway version of the vinegar-and-baking-soda volcano.

I agree. Kini was robbed. In any other challenge, the judges would have deemed Sean's dress boring as hell. Where was the design? Kini, on the other hand, put in so much work. That was really unfair. 

I like Amanda but her dress was bloody ugly. Also didn't love the Indian woman's design. That jumpsuit was horrific! 

• Love 2

Sandhya is definitely unique and definitely presents stuff "not seen before".  That doesn't mean its "good".  Circus, Insane Clown Posse, Barnum & Bailey are the only thoughts I had watching that creation walk down the runway ( I will NOT call it a rain-way).  The pinwheels on the back I can kinda appreciate, but the extraneous debris hanging off the bottom was too much. I'm baffled by the judges admiration of Sandhya.  It's not as if this has been a contest for "Best Idea I've Never Seen", but they keep droning on how Sandhya "has ideas".  You know who else has "ideas"?  Every single person on the planet.  It doesn't mean we are all equipped to excel in a particular field.

I really did love Sean's concept and I'm glad it worked.  However, that dress was ill-fitting and not much to look at in respect to "Design".  This is another case where the idea won out over execution, so maybe this show has become "Project Idea"?

Amanda - Ugh & Fug should be her label

Korina & Emily - Grace Jones & David Bowie wore all that "futuristic" stuff decades ago.  Quick lesson from the dictionary, ladies (bold is my edit): 

avant-garde (from French, "advance guard" or "vanguard", literally "fore-guard")

noun 1.
new and unusual or experimental ideas, especially in the arts, or the people introducing them.

And in addition to retiring the jumpsuit & catsuit, can Emily please stop putting hoods on every damn thing she makes? 

Kini's was cool but also reminded me of Leanne/Christian designs.  I think the pop of color a few posters mentioned would have helped tone down the S&M aspect.  Maybe red or blue or purple in the inside pleats of the skirt would be interesting (ONE color, Sandhya, not the whole Crayola box of 64).

Fade seemed like a great guy but I knew he was doomed when I saw his power button.  Poor guy thought since Samsung TV's & fridges were being whored out this week that he needed to focus on technology. He didn't get it that it was a rain challenge apparently.
  • Love 9

Re Top 3 - I would have been happy with either a Kini or Sean win, but I would've given Sean the edge since it's an avant garde challenge.  Kini's design was striking on the runway and very well executed.  It did remind me, however, of the designs of both Christian Siriano (black, fitted silhouettes) and Leanne Marshall (inverted pleated skirts, though hers were in soft pastels).  Also, Kini needs to step outside his all-black dresses box.  Sean's design was the most original and a huge risk.  I've never seen any designer on Project Runway ever do this kind of interactive design before, where the dress changed color on its own by interacting with the elements.  The dress itself was nicely done as well.  I thought Sandhya's dress should not have been in the top three.  It was a joke with pinwheels.  I give her credit for being original, however.

Re Bottom 3 - Fade's design was too simple; it's like he couldn't step away from his usual designs of graphic dresses to do something avant garde.  However, it was a cute dress.  Emily's design looked like a costume from a bad sci-fi movie.  It's ironic that she thought it was original.  Korina's dress was both badly designed and badly made.  With immunity, it's like she didn't even try that hard.

Re Safe - Amanda's design and Alexander's design could've easily been in the bottom 3 as well.  Amanda's was ridiculous looking and poorly executed (that hanging "eye").  Tim Gunn saved her by pointing out the 'vagina eye'.  Alexander's looked like an ugly shower curtain.  However, I agree that Char's design belonged in the middle of the pack.

I think that no design is 100% original.  Every design is similar in some way to something that's been done before.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I'm not going to lie; when the dye on Sean's dress started to release, I cheered. And I loved that he thought about using cheery-sunshiny colors to contrast with the rain. It was fun and clever as hell. 

From the look on Caitlyn Fitzgerald's face when Sandhya's model walked, I thought she was going to tear her look to shreds (rather redundant). But no such luck. I liked her as a judge though. Her comments were thoughtful. 

• Love 6

I think Sandya is emotionally tone-deaf. That is, she is very sensitive to her own feelings, but she has no idea of how to read the room. Sensitive but not empathetic. I just don't think it's in her, and I'm not sure that it's her fault. It makes her seem childlike. Also, some designs have never been seen before because they should never, ever be seen. Like Sandya's clown-windmill ensemble last night.

Oh, Fade. I will miss your kooky outfits, your soft-spoken commentary, and your wonderful overall self. Goodbye!

Alexander's mouth breathing bothers me, too, but I have a son whose nose has been clogged for about the last 25 years. Nothing helps. Even so, he doesn't obviously breathe through his mouth all the time. Perhaps it is Alexander's anatomy, or he has big teeth?

Edited by jennylauren123
  • Love 10

I was glad they went with the double win for this episode, because I couldn't decide between the two of them, either. 

Kini's was just stunning and I loved the way he made it an umbrella without actually making it a literal umbrella. But Sean's color dye idea actually working was just the kind of "WOW" moment the judges eat up with a spoon. And I admit to cheering from my couch watching it happen last night. But at the same time, Sean's dress design itself wasn't much to write home about. It was the gimmick that made it work. But WHAT a gimmick, right?

I actually didn't mind Sandhya's outfit, because I don't hate whimsy. The thing that irked me the most about it was that there was this beautiful pattern of tiny windmills on the front, but then on the back they got bigger and bigger and it just looked like she was running out of time and couldn't make enough small ones in time so she switched to larger ones to take up more space. And yeah, the dangly bits at the bottom didn't really work, either.

I was sad to see Fade… um, fade like that. I really thought an avant garde challenge would be right up his weird little alley. But he just froze. Not sure what happened there. It was sad. Because in the beginning, I thought he had some really nice designs and kept falling into the middle of the pack when he should've been higher up. He really had an eye for prints, too, which I always appreciate as most designers on this show tend towards the black/really dark gray spectrum. But I noticed the last couple episodes his designs weren't as good as the earlier ones, so maybe Fade has been fading for a while now. I don't mind that Tim already used his save, because it wasn't like he was amazing and just had an off week. Still sad to see after his initial potential, though.

• Love 1

This, so much.

Last week, Kini got killed because of one thing only - the top didn't fit.

This week - sorry but Sean's top DID NOT FIT his model.  Her boobs were sticking out the sides all over the place.

The dress was BORING and even after it spun around (not DURING its spinning, AFTER its spinning) it looked drab and - still - ill-fitting on the top.

What the fuck?

Yeah, I agree with this.  The dress was boring and the top was ill-fitting to say the least.   I think he should have made a long, strapless dress with multiple tiers and placed different colored dye in each tier. 

• Love 5

Poor Fade, so sad to see him go.  I certainly think he had more potential to do well than Char.  It does appear, however, that he was succumbing to the fatigue and pressure.  It was clear from the beginning of the episode that he was physically, emotionally, and creatively drained, and just didn't have much left to give to the competition. I loved how his puckish sense of humor began to re-emerge as he left.  Much as I wish he could have stayed, I think he needed to leave for his own well-being. 

• Love 9

I like Fade, but I disagree that Tim Gunn would have used the Save on him.  In a challenge where Fade should have exceeded, he ran out of steam.

Sean and Kini are a lock for top 2, with Sean having the edge for the win.

The judges also seem to like Sandhya and Amanda, so I can see them rounding out the Top 4.

• Love 1

There is a fine line between being childlike and being childish, and, for me, Sandyha tips to the wrong direction.  I think great artists and designers learn from the past and then work toward their own vision.  Picasso, for example, started in very traditional art and then built out until he found his own style....it's not a matter of whether or not everone likes the evolution but that one can see he had the basics down before he moved on.  Sandhya seems to be taking the attitude that she  has nothing to learn in pursuit of her pure vision, and, maybe she is that marvelous (though I don't really see that myself).  I get that the jumpsuit was a television test pattern and, maybe, the pinwheels mimiced another television test pattern that I recall from childhood (I am pretty old so I don't know that Sandhya would know that reference), but the actual result just seemed messy (especially with the dangling things on the bottom).

Sean's model sold his look. She was so cheerful in his dress that I think he got extra points for her enthusiasm.   Sean is cornering the market on clothes that need to be twirled in order to wear them to best effect. 

I'm not surprised Kini was in the top...I think he should have taken the win on his own, actually.  I guess I'm the only one that rather liked the hat and the way it sheltered the model's face.

I'm sorry Fade faded.  He seemed rather sad this episode.  His subtle style was not going to fit into the Project Runway aesthetic, but I wish he hadn't given up so soon (and it did seem as if he gave up).

Amanda, Amanda, Amanda.  Really, she needs to not comment on the taste of other designers. Those giant eyes were not something I want to see again.  Cleopatra? Really?   Unfortunately I can't seem to sort out the rest of the designs....they all kind of blend together in my memory.

As for Tim Gunn and his save...well, I lost all respect for him when I watched "Under the Gunn" so now I just discount him.  It's a knee jerk reaction, I know, and I need to move on (and yet I can't).  The whole Tim Gunn save has been underwhelming in its application.

Looks like the drama train is being boarded for next week, which I can live without.  But I'll watch. Of course I will. 

• Love 10

Best eppy of a lackluster season so far.  *sings* What a difference a day makes, 24 little houuuurrsssss....

I really liked Fade as a person and enjoyed his comments, but his work has become so drab.  It was his time.

I find I like a lot of Sandhya's sketches but the finished work always disappoints.  This suggests that it's her execution skills that are deficient, not her designs.  Either way, the novelty has worn off and she needs to go.

The same with Korina - I thought her sketch was interesting but she didn't have the chops to pull it off.  What she did put on the runway -- well, she was lucky she had immunity, and she knew it.

I'm in the minority - I liked Amanda's design and think if the execution had been better, she might have been in the top three.  It was whimsical and strange. 

Kini's was brilliant and deserves all the accolades it gets.  But Sean took a huge risk that paid off in pure magic. (I mean, can you imagine if it hadn't worked -- oh my, what an ugly mess that would have been.) The dye not only worked, the resulting patterns were actually attractive and his color choices were restrained and right on the mark.  His model twirling in the middle of the runway was very smart, also.  It gave the dye time to spread and also helped it spread evenly -- she became living Spin Art!

Emily, 1980 called, Grace Jones wants her playsuit back.

Char -- yawn.  As usual.  Alexander -- I have no idea what he's doing here, either.  But I guess his presence is a sop to all Guppy-Americans.

Sandhya may be tone deaf to the feelings of others, but my o my is she hypersensitive to her own.  Even though it was only a preview for next week, I was already shouting, "Shut up, Sandhya!" at her latest metldown.

• Love 5

Thanks (sneer), Tim Gunn, for your premature "save." You are dead to me, as is this show. Auf Wiedersehen!

While Tim is part of the production team, I still think that he doesn't have much choice about the "Tim Gunn Save"

My personal feeling is that they wanted him to use it earlier in the season- before it could really matter and before he could use it on someone who actually deserved it. Fade hasn't made a ton of completely amazing stuff, but a lot of his work has been interesting or at least finished. Char hasn't done anything all that interesting for the whole season... but this reeks of manipulation to me.

They like the idea of the Tim Gunn Save, but they've turned it into a joke because they don't want the judges to ever be "wrong".

• Love 5
I'm not sure who Thom Browne is, but this reminds me of that Hitchcock movie "The Birds"  This look also makes me itchy, its just too much

He's a pretty major American designer. His Fashion Weeks shows are often epic flights of fantasy production numbers. Michelle Obama has worn his designs. For example this became this.

Sandhya's designs don't bother me. They aren't meant as ready to wear and it's seems as if she isn't aiming for that market either. There are plenty of designers like Thom Browne, The Blonds, Viktor & Rolf or even Betsey Johnson who do primarily out there designs and collections and have had incredibly successful and long lasting careers. I appreciate Sandhya bringing something new and different to the show.

While Tim is part of the production team, I still think that he doesn't have much choice about the "Tim Gunn Save"

Tim is more than part of the production team, he is Executive Producer along with Heidi. I think he absolutely has say over the Tim Gunn save. I just think he decides on an emotional level, rather than based on skills demonstrated. Justin last season felt like and emotional reaction and so does Char's this season.

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 10

With respect, I'm not agreeing with this. The basic dress, while basic, was just fine on it's own--maybe not avant guarde but as  a stand alone it was fine. What took it over the top was the (and luckily it worked) idea of the dye. It was a show stopper, creative, well executed and original. He deserved his share of the win. And Kini? Props to him as well--those two clearly stole the runway.

I also throw my vote into the WTF column with Amanda's epic fail. Who the hell else has gotten away without even a call out regarding a garment falling apart on the runway? Total BS--and that's not even addressing that fact that the dress was ugly as hell.

• Love 6

Since I'm less emotional this morning, I'm going to give Tim Gunn the benefit of the doubt.  He knows the order of the challenges and what the judges truly think of everybody.   Last week when he saved Char, he probably felt that Fade would do fine in the upcoming challenges.

Fade seemed to be the perfect designer to kill an Avant Garde challenge, so Tim probably assumed he'd be safe & could use his save on Char.  I'll bet he never dreamed Fade would flame out so completely.  (emphasis mine)

Too bad Tim forgot the purpose of the Tim Gunn Save was exactly for this scenario.  He let it get corrupted into a maudlin personality contest, regardless of the design potential displayed to date, IMO.  Very, very disappointed that Fade is out.  I also think the movement to keep Amanda front and center contributed in that the judge's seemed oddly disinclined to even look at Fade's designs. 

I don't know what would be worse:  That the producers are pushing The Amanda Show as a their chosen story hell-or-high-water, or if Tim and the judge's truly like her designs.  If so, I question their taste level.  YMMV.

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 4

True, but he fully understood this and decided to do it anyway, come what may.  He fully embraced the challenge directives:  to make an avant garde piece for a rainway.  I think he succeeded brilliantly in both respects.  It made a one-time, unexpected, visual splash, pardon my pun, and used the media of the rainway as an integral part of the design.    Daring like that should be rewarded.  I was avidly awaiting his garment to come out--how long has it been since that happened?

• Love 12