Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E08: The Rainway

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I disagree -- I felt like Amanda had a pretty accurate read on what happened, and I hope Sandhya winced just a little at seeing how she handled that entire situation. For her to smugly announce to a group that had just been hammered by the judges that she never has been compared to anyone else and she never wants to be compared to anyone else... ugh. Not a single losing designer sitting there was thinking happily, "Yay! I got compared to McQueen again!"

Amanda's telling was histonic revisionism, at the least. Sandhya made her comments in a normal conversational tone but disagreed with with what the people speaking were saying. Amanda made it seem like Sandhya got up in their faces and insulted them. It's proof that when you hear Amanda describe an off camera discussion or interaction, you should assume that the drama should be cranked significantly back in order to approach reality.

• Love 5

When I saw Amanda's model walk down the runway, my first thought was "oh, she used wider fringe this time." 

1) even if she is 100% original, thats fine, but why say the comment in a room full of people who have just been ripped apart for being derivative?  And really, I don't see how just by being original, someone is better.  I haven't seen a woman wear a bikini made of rat fur dyed bright yellow, but that doesn't mean when someone does it it will be art, just because its original.  I might understand someone taking her position if they had sent something down the runway that was just original and amazing, but IMO, and MV, her outfit was all sorts of ugly, and I think people could easily be original if they were okay making ugly clothes.  Even if you honestly feel that way, why be so arrogant as to say it.  I mean, I get being proud of your work, but come on now.

If someone asks your opinion about something they are wearing or how they decorated their house, an you don't like the way it looks, but you don't want to hurt their feelings, you may something like "well, that is, um, interesting" or "my, that is, uh, unusual."  I think Sandhya has heard so many people comment that her designs are "like nothing I have ever seen before" that she thinks it is a compliment.  There is never-been-seen good and never-been-seen bad. Maybeit has never been seen before because 99.9% of the population would realize that it would  look like crap before they every started putting it together. 

Sandyha doesn't seem to understand conversation the way most people do - she has a different version of reality.. Even when people are saying what is wrong with her designs, she has this look on her face like she thinks they are complimenting her - a little smile, a small nod of agreement, etc.. . Perhaps  it is a not-my-native-language issue, or maybe her self-esteem is just ridiculously too high, or she is an incredible optimist. 

If a judge told her "your dress is the ugliest thing I have ever seen, there are too many colors and they all clash, and all the ruffles make her hips look huge.  The average woman doesn't want her hips to look wider." Sandyha smile because she would be thinking "my designs are above average."

• Love 9

I was not surprised that Fäde was Auf'd because this season you can usually tell who is doomed and who's gonna win after the first half of the episode.

If Kini was really thinking about making an umbrella, then the way to mimic the shape is how he did it - so I doubt that it had anything to do with Christian or Leanne.

Avant Garde challenges are always pretty disappointing because we hardly get anything that deserves to be called Avant Garde. I was hoping that they would send home Korina despite her having immunity, that was just crap. But I'm ok with Fäde leaving, because his garment didn't fit the brief at all. Char's was not good, Alexander's was a rain poncho and another friggin jumpsuit. The top 3 garments worked visually well on the dark backdrop of the rainway.

I also think that Sandhya is not wrong to turn down Tim's advice. There have been plenty of occasions in the past few seasons where his advice did not improve a design or guarantee that the judges would like it (didn't he tell Kini to watch the length of his dress last week, only for the judges to say that it should be shorter?) - last season he even sealed the Auf for Kahindo when the blatantly told the judges that it was his idea to use some fabrics on top of each other. Tim may be able to help them to avoid major fashion mistakes, but he is not the dalai lama of fashion.

• Love 7

WearyTraveler:

Agreed, if you'd like to do something about this, you might want to start by signing my petition to have longer challenges again!

Petitions are so last century!  Why don't you start a twitter campaign instead?  Get everyone to tweet to Heidi and Tim (since they are EPs) that the show is better when the designers get more time.  #Love2daychallenges         (I don't tweet so I assume that's what you do).

Alexander clearly has a boat load of people logging into Lifetime and saying he's the favorite.  That's the only reason he's fan favorite.

• Love 1

WearyTraveler:

Petitions are so last century!  Why don't you start a twitter campaign instead?  Get everyone to tweet to Heidi and Tim (since they are EPs) that the show is better when the designers get more time.  #Love2daychallenges         (I don't tweet so I assume that's what you do).

Alexander clearly has a boat load of people logging into Lifetime and saying he's the favorite.  That's the only reason he's fan favorite.

I don't tweet, so a petition is a good way for everyone to be involved.  But for those who do tweet, you should tweet too!

• Love 2

Just to be clear, I don't have any strong feelings on Sandhya one way or the other really.  I don't want to defend her comment -- I think it was tactless, though just cluelessly so.  But also that this whole Sandhya storyline is in service to a Tim Gunn rehabilitation: next week, Tim Stands Up To Bullies!  Because Tim Gunn Does Not Like Bullying And Wants It Out Of Our Schools!

The non-copyrightability of fashion design, and its "utilitarian" nature, are interesting things to discuss, but my information on these topics is half-remembered from long ago so I will leave them for now!  Anyway it would be getting a bit astray from the episode.

I don't think I mentioned it, but I actually really liked Fade's dress, it was just not right for the challenge.  In a sense I can see where it could fit into an 'avant garde' world -- you could definitely wear it to an art opening at a hip gallery -- but it wasn't interesting enough in itself, and did not fit the rainway.  I still think it might have been a semi-protest against the Samsung ad part of the challenge. 

• Love 7

My DVR didn't work so I have to wait for On Demand. But in following this thread, I am devastated over Fade.

Based on what I am reading, it appears the judges criticized that designers referenced other designers.

I don't understand the issue with this. If you did an entire collection or even a single garment that is a 3D carbon copy of another, yes it is unoriginal and stealing. But is it really that bad to be inspired by another designer? Is it really possible for something aesthetically pleasing to be completely original? I didn't google the exact quote, but I believe a philosopher once said that if you had 1000 monkeys typing for 1000 hours over some course of years ( and I know I have these numbers wrong...but it is the point of the thing) that one if them would by chance recreate the entirety of Shakespeare's Hamlet.

I just don't know how many times the wheel can be recreated.

And while I don't like Sean's smug arrogancem it sounds like his dress did something unexpected. The designer McQueen used robots and surely had more than two days to conceive and design it. It isn't as though these designers know what the challenges are in advance and can come in with preconceived ideas ( except perhaps for the textile or inspiration challenge). How some of them come up wit these so quickly I will never know. But that is why they are ALL artists IMHO.

and I fully know that I will be thinking of that Afro circus giraffe when I finally see S's pinwheel dress.

Edited by English Teacher

Pretty much every REAL artist I know (as in, makes a living creating something beautiful or interesting or useful and often all three), never calls himself or herself An Artist. I've heard painter, sculptor, craftsman, metallist, photographer, but never ARTIST.

Maybe, but if any of these Makers of Beautiful Things is making them with some of kind of eye towards being included in the Whitney Biennial, and yet claims to NOT be an "artist"  - then that is a much worse kind of pretentiousness, and a kind that is way too common here in NYC.

But is it really that bad to be inspired by another designer?

Of course not, for all the reasons you just gave.  Besides, I don't think any designer in the history of the show was more referential than Christian Siriano, and no PR winner has had a more successful after-show career.

• Love 1

There's a thin line between "craft" (utility) and "art".

I think craft can be artful and even "art." Many lovely and useful objects can be found in museums. Weavings can be used on walls as wall-hangings. Blown glass can be both functional and worthy of grand galleries. Etc. etc.

And paintings can be considered to be useful; they can enliven and beautify walls and rooms, bring aesthetic pleasure, create and change moods, and enlarge people's understanding, perceptions, and understanding. Posters are initially functional items to publicize events or places, but many of them have earned their creators the title of "artist".

Edited by bjm
  • Love 2

There's a thin line between "craft" (utility) and "art".

I think craft can be artful and even "art." Many lovely and useful objects can be found in museums. Weavings can be used on walls as wall-hangings. Blown glass can be both functional and worthy of grand galleries. Etc. etc.

And paintings can be considered to be useful; they can enliven and beautify walls and rooms, bring aesthetic pleasure, create and change moods, and enlarge people's understanding, perceptions, and understanding. Posters are initially functional items to publicize events or places, but many of them have earned their creators the title of "artist".

A painting is not really meant to serve a useful purpose, its meant to bring aesthetic pleasure, or rather primarily to create an emotion.  That is the primary purpose of most paintings are sculpture.  Now of course they may have a secondary utilitarian purpose (ie - covering a hole on your wall).  But in contrast the primary purpose of clothing is to cover your body so you're not walking around naked.  And there is a secondary purpose in that, in addition to covering your body (which, by law, or by the elements has to be covered) it can also, in its design create an emotion and become art, but thats not its primary purpose.

At times, even the law has problems with the protectability of artistic features in traditionally utilitarian items, and the utilitarian features in traditionally artistic items.  But clothing design generally gets no protection under copyright law because its primarily utilitarian.

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 2

So far, I find Sandhya's demeanor to be self-confident rather than arrogant.

I'm glad Kini got a win because I loved his design but there's no prize and no immunity so all he gets is bragging rights which he has to share with Sean's side-boob-aganza.  Big deal.

And Fade is a sweetie with some great t-shirts but when I saw his dress, all I could think was Holy Color Scheme, Batman!

Edited to add a thank you to whomever mentioned that the late night repeat omits all the social media foolishness.  I could see the whole screen!  On the downside it means I have to avoid this site until I catch up with my TiVo recording.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 4

For those interested, Tom and Lorenzo have Fade's decoy collection posted:

http://tomandlorenzo.com/2014/09/fade-zu-graus-project-runway-season-13-finale-collection/

They have all nine of the decoy collections from fashion week posted, if you go to the television tab and scroll down for project runway. If you don't want to be spoiled, they'll post the auffed designer's collection a day or two after the show airs.

For what it's worth, I actually think Sandaya is one of the better designers on this season. I haven't like a lot of the stuff she's sent down the runway, but she's the only one with a clear point of view (Fade's decoy collection shows he does too, he just never really had a chance to show it on the show). Everyone else is pretty interchangeable. I wanted to like Emily and Char, because they have such great individual style, but what they send down the runway is bland and boring. Same with almost everyone else. Even if you hate Sandaya's stuff, at least it's not boring.

• Love 2

I LOVED Sandhya's dress on the runway (excuse me, rainway). As I watched her make it, I was shaking my head and groaning. But when the model stepped out under the lights and the falling water, it really worked for me. It looked like a jewel box. Even the pinwheels made sense at that moment, although I agreed with the guest judge that fewer would have been better. (They added sparkle, though. I think it would have been a bit much if they had spun as she intended.)The whole  thing, including the clunky black ankle boots, made me laugh with pleasure.

While I'm glad Sandhya didn't tone down her look, I wished the final product had looked more like what was in her sketch. I didn't mind the garish colors because 1. it's her trademark at this point and 2. it was an avant garde challenge. 

I didn't get Sandhya's look at all...I thought it was horribly made, looked sloppy and the styling was horrendous.

I also was not a fan of Amanda's look, and it pissed me off that the judges did not call her out on the fact that the dress started to fall apart on the run/rainway, especially given that they finally had two days for the challenge.  I though the materials were ugly, the design was ugly, the dress was ugly....okay - I'll admit it - I don't like Amanda.  :-)

I feel bad for Fade, but I agree with everyone - I don't think his heart was in this challenge, and he seemed very lost this week.  This should have been Tim's save, because while I like Char as a person, I think Fade has more talent and original ideas.

I agree that Amanda's dress should not have been falling apart on the "rainway". How would she have explained that?

The first episode I've enjoyed in quite a while (maybe this season?).  Lots of great looks.  Some were derivative but good to see again. -- speaking of which,  I wish Kini had used a brighter color (or colors) -- cobalt blue springs to mind --- it would have been more impactful.  I love Sean's idea but wish the dress had been a little more innovative in terms of shape BUT the waterproof crinolene was ingenious! Having said that, I can see a line of one-time-wear-for-impact then wear-other-time outfits for someone to purchase and wear!.  Very happy that he, and Kini (yay), won.

I also would have liked to have seen Sean use one more color for his dress. However, I will admit that Sean putting in a waterproof crinoline was smart. 

I know there's a lot of Kini love on these boards, but I never see anything from him but a good tailor. Sean 100% deserved that win (and Sean alone).

While I understand why many don't like Sandhya's work (and attitude), I like that she shows us a different perspective, and that her work is not referential of other designers.

I wish it hadn't been Fade this week, and agree that the save was wasted on Char.

I can see what Sandhya was saying here. Remember when one of the judges called out one of Kenley's creations (one of the dresses from the final collection) of being derivative of McQueen? That was not meant as a compliment. 

This episode highlights for me how stupid the people running PR are.  We got a fairly good runway show, because the designers had two days.  We also got a couple of interesting plot arcs (will Sean's dress work, who will win between Sean and Kini).  Hell, we even got pathos from Fade's story line.  There's enough here to make an interesting show without having to resort to unreal time pressures or screaming Sandros. 

I guess if the current format makes the producers money, they aren't so stupid.  But I really miss the early seasons.  I felt like I actually used to learn something about fashion on this show.  And there was plenty of drama (if that's your thing) in the early seasons without all the producer shenanigans.  This is the first show in a long time where I felt I learned something new and didn't have to put up with artificial drama.

In this episode (which I watched On Demand), I felt like fast-forwarding through all the jibber-jabber and straight to the "rainway" show. Much of what proceeded it didn't seem to be that interesting. 

Tim Gunn did not CHOOSE to Save Char over Fade.   Even if he did not save Char, he could have used it Samantha last week. 

All 3 were Safe middle of the pack designers who fell into the bottom after having a bad week.  But it's pretty obvious that none of them really had a chance of winning.

In terms of consistency, Sean is the front runner at this point, followed by Kini.  IMO, the Save would have been wasted if neither of them make it into the finals.

if Fade, Char, and Samantha were designers in the middle of the pack, Fade would be ranked highest, then Char and Samantha, no?

Samantha may have done something interesting with streetwear (her aesthetic) in this challenge, but much of her stuff was not memorable. 

I don't happen to care for Sandhya's Punky Brewster aesthetic, but that isn't what gets under my skin about her.  It's her arrogance.  Here's where I'm coming from: The minute Tim Gunn began offering his critique, she shuts him down.  Facial expression, body language, tone of voice, all made it clear that she had no intention of listening to a single thing he had to say. She was so condescending as she dismissed his concern that the propellers might not turn in the rain.  Then later, when they did not, in fact, turn, she was surprised.  .

Looking back, that was Kenley's problem too.

Emilio didn't pay much attention to Tim's input either too, no?

• Love 2

It doesn't bug me so much that Sandhya is not heeding Tim's advice. I DO feel she could at least pretend to be attentive, however, since that would be the polite thing to do, then if she wants to go ahead and disregard and do her own thing, so be it. Tim's not the end all and be all of fashion and his advice, while sound much of time, has not always proved to be a saving grace to certain designers.

I have no comment on Kenley; hated her on her season, liked her somewhat better on All Stars.

Tim didn't like Emilio and I believe the feeling was mutual, in fact, he was rather disdainful of him and even said he was scared to go to Harlem for his home visit (if I am remembering all that correctly), which I personally found a bit offensive. I don't blame Emilio a bit for not listening to him after all that, JMO.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 6

It doesn't bug me so much that Sandhya is not heeding Tim's advice. I DO feel she could at least pretend to be attentive, however, since that would be the polite thing to do, then if she wants to go ahead and disregard and do her own thing, so be it. Tim's not the end all and be all of fashion and his advice, while sound much of time, has not always proved to be a saving grace to certain designers.

I would absolutely agree that the designers are under no obligation to listen to Tim. What I have a problem with is how, as they say in Pride and Prejudice, she blew his advice off with so little endeavour at civility, because back when she was enlisting him to side with her against the "bullies," she gave his ego an absolute tongue bath. He's awesome. She respects him more than anything. Anything he has to say means so much to her...

Blech. Uriah Heep isn't a good look for anyone.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 8

I agree that Amanda's dress should not have been falling apart on the "rainway". How would she have explained that?

I'm wondering if they did say something but that the comments were edited out. I have no reason to think that this actually happened, mind you--just wondering.

Remember when one of the judges called out one of Kenley's creations (one of the dresses from the final collection) of being derivative of McQueen? That was not meant as a compliment.

As memory serves, Kenley didn't just reference McQueen, she had two dresses which were dead ringers of his work, line for line copies...at least I think it was McQueens work (I may be misremembering the actual designers); one was a painted flowered dress, the other was a feathered bridal gown. She became teary eyed and defiant, insisting that it was all her own stuff from her own imagination. If that's true she must have been channeling Vogue in her dreams or something because they were seriously as close as you could get and might as well have been using a 3-D printer. She was called on them and rightly so, despite her protests.

• Love 4

I have no comment on Kenley; hated her on her season, liked her somewhat better on All Stars.

Tim didn't like Emilio and I believe the feeling was mutual, in fact, he was rather disdainful of him and even said he was scared to go to Harlem for his home visit (if I am remembering all that correctly), which I personally found a bit offensive. I don't blame Emilio a bit for not listening to him after all that, JMO.

Thats the thing is it will never really cost you anything to respectfully listen to the advice, consider it, and if you really think its wrong, blow it off.  And I understand blowing it off.  Now, more than ever Tim's critiques will be wildly different from the judges reaction.  I don't think I watched Emilio's original season (I think I saw him on All Stars, and I really liked his stuff, but thats just me), but I think I would have been way turned off by Tim saying he was scared to go to Harlem.

• Love 3

I always admire a woman who has confidence in the workplace, even if others pronounce her uppity. (That's really what it boils down to.)

However, Sandhya veers off into smugness (the disingenous "I never copy anybody" when a colleague is clearly upset at being called out for just that thing), then swings over into manipulation (Tim's tongue bath). I think she's spoiled by her husband and family, and sheltered and immature. And I personally think her design aesthetic is butt-ugly.

• Love 10

It could well have been Balenciaga--I'm not good remembering names, even famous ones. Thanks for the correction. I also recall Kenley's BS about how no one (NO ONE!!!) does painted dresses and she's the onlyonlyonly one who knows how.

I believe me response was an eye roll 'whatever'.

Kenley got dinged for both Balenciaga (the feather dress) and Alexander McQueen (the wedding dress). Which was pretty funny, because as far as I was concerned, both she and McQueen were ripping off Audrey Hepburn's Givenchy wedding dress from Funny Face.

It was a huge scandale, as near as I can tell. Apparently it's viewed as plagiarism in design circles, and it's very serious. People are still talking about it. Which, bluntly, makes what happened here something very much like going up to an unhappy looking pregnant woman without a ring and telling her you would never consider premarital sex. 

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

It doesn't make any sense to say fashion can't be copyrighted so it's not art, but it's scandalous to draw on other designers.  The whole point of fashion design not being copyrightable is to enable knockoffs. 

Or at least to be able to borrow design elements.  And to some degree to enable knockoffs.  I mean, what if the first person who created the pencil skirt and crop top could put it under copyright?  All of Miranda's models would have had to walk down the runway in underwear and a bra!

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 1

I'm sad that Fade had to leave so soon, and especially because he left before Korina.  I looked at the link to his decoy collection, and I would have liked to see more of that - so many of those pieces were really cute and interesting!  Korina, on the other hand, hasn't done anything that I thought was interesting.  Her coat last week didn't work for me - garish and ill fitting, IMO.

Char is still a non-entity, and Alexander is on the edge, but I did actually enjoy his purple swirl raincoat.  For some reason, those purple swirls under the rain and lights made me smile.  Amanda can take a seat - her auf time is coming when they finally turn to her and tell her she's been doing the same hippie stuff the whole competition and refuses to stretch herself or go out of her comfort zone to design anything different.

I think Kini deserved the win because he had a complete and intricate, well made look, and she did look smashing on the runway.  Sean's dye experiment worked really well, so I see why he also got the win, even though the dress itself was actually pretty bad. 

Sandhya's was funny, funny like a clown without the grace.

Treestar, you hit the nail on the head!!!!  If I have to see yet another monstrosity of Sandyha's get praised, I'm going to puke.  She could send a steaming pile of crap down the runway and the judges would fall all over themselves, exclaiming "how original!" "how unexpected!" "normally, I don't like steaming crap piles, but it really brings across her point of view!"  UGH!!!

As for the episode itself, what does Kini have to do to get some love?  While Sean's dye trick looked great on the runway, the dress itself was nothing spectacular or intricate.

Edited by SopranoKris
  • Love 3
Treestar, you hit the nail on the head!!!!  If I have to see yet another monstrosity of Sandyha's get praised, I'm going to puke.  She could send a steaming pile of crap down the runway and the judges would fall all over themselves, exclaiming "how original!" "how unexpected!" "normally, I don't like steaming crap piles, but it really brings across her point of view!"  UGH!!!

I agree with you, but I think it would only truly reflect her point of view if the poor unfortunate animal that created the steaming pile of crap ingested a large amount of super bright fabrics in every available color first.  I like originality, I like new ideas, and I even understand some of it's not necessarily supposed to be wearable, but it seems like everything she creates is just hideous.  I try, but I just don't understand the over the top praise.

• Love 6

The whole point of fashion design not being copyrightable is to enable knockoffs.

Yes and absolutely. Like it or not, fashion is a business ('Ah yes, inner beauty, that's what this whole $5 billion business is about...') and business is about making money, employment and all of that...not bad things if handled right, frankly. There are entire companies which exist to make and sell lower priced copies of, say, red carpet looks for prom and bridesmaid dresses and the like. I don't see a whole lot wrong with that.

Someone selling high end, top of the line fabric/construction, couture garments are clearly not in direct competition with Macy's or your local bridal shop. Is it wrong to take someone's design? Yeah, well that could be debated and I do think it's a dab tacky but, be that as it may, at the end of the day--to quote Santino-'It's just fashion' and stores exist to sell people clothes. People are employed to produce it, hopefully not a sweatshop prices which I have a huge problem with.

Someone producing a line by line copy for a high profile design competition ala Kenley? Nail 'em to the damn wall--cheating cheaters! And I don't see her setting the garment district or Fashion Week on fire after her misadventures. I suspect her reputation preceded her.

My own granny was a high end lingerie designer in the garment district back in the 1920's-1940's and worked exclusively with top of the line silks and laces and such. She knew her customers bought what she sold and didn't really trouble herself if the Walmarts of the day sold knockoff's at 1/10 the price. I'm sure she would have preferred if they bought her stuff but knew they weren't her customers and sold to her market.

• Love 1

I think he should have sold it as "sun" dress, pun intended, meaning that it lit up like the sun.  It might have made the basic sundress siloutte less egrecious.

Totally agreed!  I loved the fact that he used the dye idea and the fact that it worked, but I wasn't that impressed with the dress itself. My husband avoids this show like the plague but I convinced him to watch the runway walk of this dress and he had the same reaction I did - WOW that's cool! Followed by "but that dress is really pretty boring."  I was excited the dye thing worked and glad they rewarded his creativity, but I kept wishing the dress itself was somehow better.  Calling it a basic sun-dress might have helped with knowing what to expect.

• Love 2

With respect, I kinda disagree with the boredom regarding the dye in the rain sun dress. I actually liked the basic garment, dyed or not. I know it wasn't cutting edge or anything, but I found it completely wearable and worked well for what he needed it to do--provide a canvas for his idea (yes, I know this was an avant guarde challenge) and the fact that his drippy dye effect worked knocked it out of the ball park to meet the challenge.

• Love 3

I applaud Sean for coming up with an idea that worked with the rain, but that dress was terribly basic otherwise. And I know that many people are saying that Kini's is derivative, but I loved it. It looked avant garde (to my admittedly less than fashionable eyes) and was perfect for the runway theme.

And Fade...Fade, you're still my favorite designer this season, I loved the dress enough that I would knock an old lady out of the way at a store if I saw only one left on the rack, but it wasn't avant garde at all, so I can't entirely disagree with the judges' decision. But it hurts to say that.

• Love 2

It's often said that the judges should not be rewarding designers for their past designs. If that is really the case then what was the problem with eliminating Fade after this challenge?

That was a two day avant garde challenge and his design ended up looking like a cheap T-shirt from urban outfitters. He deserved to go.

• Love 2

I do think it's reasonable for Fade to be eliminated since he missed the mark on the Avante garde aspect if this challenge... Though there are other outfits that I personally though were way worse.

But I think some of the lament is that many who like Fade and the things he's done in other challenges feel like this is the perfect situation for the Tim Gunn save- a designer with potential and a point of view who has a bad week. Obviously agreement with that varies on individual opinions of the designers....

Personally I would have rather seen more from Fade than from Char... But it's not up to me.

I really thought Sean's idea was so neat and what a wow factor on the runway. Wearable?  No probably not (although the plastic crinoline was a good idea!), but I'm not sure it was supposed to be wearable. I wish the dress construction had been even a little more interesting but still, great idea.

I would've liked to see more from Fade but I think he was really, really ready to go home. I think his outfit showed it too.