Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E02: Thanks for Nothing

Message added by Scarlett45,

The episode threads are to discuss the contents of the episode ONLY (discussion of previous episodes is fine, so long as it does not dominate the post). All discussion of real time events belong in the appropriate participant and Spoiler/Speculation threads. Violating posts will be removed and repeat offenders will be warned. 

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, monagatuna said:

My wife and I were commenting during each Thanksgiving scene how warm and inviting each wife's Thanksgiving was compared to Robyn's Table of Silence. Even Janelle and Christine's FaceTime of Rolls was more spirited and jolly than the grim, tight faces of the Tenders, the Monogamists, and the Hanger-On. I'm not a huge Thanksgiving person, but I'd rather sit at home drinking champagne and eating a Lean Cuisine than go to that sad, unfestive Thanksgiving at Robyn's. This is what Meri has been angling to get invited to?

Right? Why does she stick around? I have no idea if she left or not in real time, but did she really think her and kody would rekindle the relationship? The Thanksgiving did look terribly boring. 

• Like 9

I can't believe Robyn's kids said "Don' they care about us?" Obviously the older ones realize that Christine is "so called" divorced from Kody. Both Christine and Janelle have adult children that live other places. When kids grow up and move you can't always have EVERYONE at Thanksgiving, even in a normal, healthy family, let alone this ****show.

• Like 16
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, zamp33 said:

Just posting now - if I said something said previously I am sorry - just dropped my oldest at college for the first time so it was emotional - but a couple of thoughts from yesterday about the show I needed to vent about - 

First -the show is in 2021- did we need to see the ear piercing segment? Does anyone here even care? Was that supposed to humanize Kody - to me it showed just how awful he was that he didn't know what his other children did. And it was a colossal waste of precious time.

Which brings me to point two - instead of wasting time on ear piercing I wanted to know so much more about the zoom call.  And I am guessing it was Mykelti who suggested the parents get involved - I mean they are mostly over 18 I do not think parents needed to be involved. And if Logan was spearheading it, I don't think the parents were involved at all. And what turned out to be a nice thing for siblings had to be derailed by Robyn. I would love to know what she said in that call

And just to be mean - Robyn's house is ugly - no wonder she doesn't allow film crews or Meri in - I mean just seeing that weird Chair and Kody in it was enough for me. 

The whole program was a waste of time.  Nothing but a whine fest without any cheese.   Christine is better off out and the foreshadowing of the next departure was strong in this episode.  The premise of the show destroyed their family?  Then it wasn’t very strong to begin with.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
36 minutes ago, steff13 said:

So did Robyn just insert herself into the kids' gift exchange chat?

I'm rarely "that" person, but I'm going to be "that" person - something about the relationship between Kody and Aurora feels icky to me.  

I don’t think she did. The way Christine told the story, the kids were in a group chat and talked about doing the gift exchange. Evidently everyone was on board. One of Janelle’s boys (I think) said “great - let’s tell the parents.” When they told the parents, that’s when Robyn said “let’s have a video chat.” There was no reason to do that as far as I could tell and Kody said he planned to ignore the whole subject altogether… until it went south.

I don’t think that Robyn should have said anything other than “fantastic, have fun.” But ito be fair, she was brought into the conversation along with the other parents by the kids.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

I watched the episode. It sounds like Logan tried to organize a nice thing and Robyn couldn't stay out of it. If her kids were included in the group text, then they weren't being left out.

This whole situation is hopeless. It involves too many people with too much anger and resentment. And Kody is too invested in being a victim to let things calm down and try to have a nice holiday. Robyn's kids are not at fault, but they're not part of the original family unit and they will never have that same bond. And they're being fed a daily dose of victimhood by Kody and Robyn.

I do believe that Christine has talked shit though. Probably for years. But I see no evidence that Kody can't call his kids and talk to them.

• Like 11
  • Applause 3

I would love to read those group texts! Forget the boring ear piercing, that would have been entertaining. Can we put everyone in a room 90 Day Fiance reunion style and let them sort it out? That would be a great television show.

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
4 hours ago, islandgal140 said:

Plus, she never struck me as much of a cook and I feel like this has been said a few times on the show.

I believe Robyn was deemed too pretty to cook. 🙄

Kody does not realize that the opposite of love isnt hate, it's indifference. He still has some weird deep wound from Christine leaving - that is hate. But he doesn't give a rip about what's her name Meri - that is indifference. 

I do sense a strange relationship between Aurora and her STEPdad Kody. Remember, she has a real Dad. Shame on Kody 1,000,000x for flaunting this ridiculous ear piercing segment while skipping Ysabel's back surgery, and having no recollection of pretty much anything about his other daughters. 

• Like 20
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

One of Janelle’s boys (I think) said “great - let’s tell the parents.”

2 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

But ito be fair, she was brought into the conversation along with the other parents by the kids.

One of the kids saying "let's tell the parents" was not an invitation for Robyn to insert herself into the gift exchange with the kids. Did any of the other parents get involved? She most likely thought to herself that she did not want her kids having something to do with their sibings. You know now that the family is broken leave it that way so she and her brood have Kody all to themselves. 

• Like 14
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

Admitting that on camera, too. The guy is clueless. The fact that he is so intent on hurting his kids is appalling. Almost as appalling as saying on camera that he HATES Christine. The mother of 6 of his kids. Disgusting trashbag. 

Not only that, but he clearly made an obscene gesture directed at her in a public place.  The mother of 6 of his kids.  Some moral exemplar there.

Things I noticed:

• Christine was giving him nothing in the lunch scene.  You could see his anger mounting because nothing he was doing was getting under her skin.  When he suggested counseling, she said she was all for it.  You could see on his face that he was pissed.  I loved how she said in the TH that she knew he wasn't going to do any counseling.  
  • I'm getting ln line for wanting to know what was said on that group chat.  While they did tell the parents about the gift exchange, that wasn't an invitation for Robyn to come in and start stirring the pot.  It sounded like she wanted a Zoom call right then and there to organize everything (and stick her nose in), but in all likelihood, several of the participants were not in a position to get on a Zoom call while they could send a quick message in chat.  Of course when everyone didn't immediately jump to do what she wanted, she started playing the victim and saying they didn't love her or her children.  I suspect some of them had enough of her at that point and the gloves came off.  I also wonder what Gwen said that escalated things.  Either way, it must have been bad because Christine was not optimistic that everyone could work things out.
  • I was puzzled by Christine's reaction to Paedon's remark about Kody and Robyn's immune systems.  I thought she was being ridiculous saying that they were sicker than most people.  I have a friend whose father was in the hospital on a ventilator for 11 days.  That is being sicker than most people, not Kody's ass pain.  Plus, given her recent behavior on social media, that scene has not aged well for her.
  • A lot has been said about the silly ear piercing.  It's just creepy not to mention lousy of Kody that he wouldn't show the slightest bit of support for Ysabel yet acts like it's a big dill that Aurora needs her fake dad to get her ears pierced.
  • I liked Janelle's little Christmas tree.  I also think the Thanksgiving celebrations with Janelle and Christine looked like fun while the one at Robyn's looked depressing.
  • So, was the local bordello having a yard sale and Robyn's pick was that bed?  That thing was tacky.
  • Like 21
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, BnJJ said:

I don't understand why Kody and Robyn can't seem to wrap their heads around the fact that kids grow up, move away, start families of their own and holidays start to look different

Simple;  She doesn't want them to leave the nest and build their own lives. Imagine the horror of not seeing them every single day. Or even worse, a love interest that replaces her as the center of their universe? Kody seems happy to follow Robyn's lead in this. Also, because the two older girls obviously worship him, which is all he wants.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
1 minute ago, LilyD said:

Simple;  She doesn't want them to leave the nest and build their own lives. Imagine the horror of not seeing them every single day. Or even worse, a love interest that replaces her as the center of their universe? Kody seems happy to follow Robyn's lead in this. Also, because the two older girls obviously worship him, which is all he wants.

I wasn't talking about Robyn's kids.  I was talking about his adult children starting their own lives with their own partners. To expect that Janelle (and previously Christine) spend every holiday at Robyn's when their grown kids have other plans with their growing families is utterly asinine.

These changes happen in every family when kids grow up and start their own lives.

• Like 14
7 minutes ago, Meow Mix said:

Not only that, but he clearly made an obscene gesture directed at her in a public place.

I saw that and I couldn't decide if that gesture was what you thought it was or if he was gesturing that he wanted to punch her in the face. Either way he is a disgusting pig of a man. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Remember when Uh-ROAR-a leaped into Hunter's arms the second he came in the door (this was in Vegas; I think he was on leave from the military.)

I can't stand her.  Her moony eyes when she's talking or around any men are creepy, too.  She's been told to kiss the ground Kootie walks on, and like a cult member, she does it without question.  His OG family be damned; Kootie has a devoted cult follower in Uh-ROAR-a.  

Her reactions have always bothered me. She is so OTT on everything.  Didn't she jump up and insert herself when Aspyn announced her engagement?  I think it was Aspyn.

Her reaction when Robyn told her own kids that she was pregnant the second time struck me as extremely odd.  I get being happy but her reaction was something else.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, kassa said:

had a fairly typical middle class 60s childhood (the Dad in the original The  Wonder Years was my Dad down to a T). It was home from work, dinner with the family, read the newspaper, watch the news, family then watches tv, bed. Occasionally involved us in chores in the yard, a week's vacation a year. 

you and me both!  are you the sister I never knew?

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Do KoDouche and Sobbyn ever watch the show when it airs, do you think? If they do, how could they not see what fuckwits they both are? And yet they never alter the level of assholishness that they exude each season. Sobbyn, she of the Holy Mother of Dry Eye Crying...Does she actually think we don't know she is not actually crying? Does she actually think WE think she's crying invisible tears? So many tears that they evaporate before we can see them apparently. And Douche is soooo ragey, soooo defensive, soooo clueless. Both of them really don't think they've done anything wrong, yet 3 out of 4 wives are gone now. Look at the common denominator you two assholes, you're it.

• Like 9
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 12

I missed the live discussion, but I read through all the comments just to see what you all would say about the "daddy-daughter" ear piercing outing. The collective commentary was far more scintillating than the footage.

• Like 7
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Lady of nod said:

Well I am not done with this episode yet, but I just had to post. I’m so happy that I got to see the “daddy and daughter “ear piercing part. So glad that Cody could be there for whichever Robynette that that was in her stressful time of having her ears pierced at what, age 20? Too bad he couldn’t have been there for Ysabel’s surgery. I’m sure all his not Robyn’s children will enjoy watching that tender fun moment. 

Do you wonder if he's doing that as a big Fuck You to his not Robyn children?  I do.  He was complaining to Christine that she's turned the kids against him (like they don't have eyes and ears and brains to see what's going on and judging for themselves).  Didn't he say the same thing to Jenelle about her kids?  Because you know Kody is totally blameless here.

• Like 11

How is it even possible Kody becomes more of an asshole each episode???

And it looks like next week his assholery grows exponentially! What a dick.

Loathsome human being. 

• Like 17
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I couldn't get past the first 15 mins without commenting.   It's so infuriating!!   Kodass keeps on saying how it's not Robin's fault the family is broken up.   Umm No shit Sherlock!!!  It's NOT her fault...!  It's YOUR fault for spending all your time with Robin!  And living with only Robin. And only having sex with Robin!    Omg   he refuses to take one iota of responsibility for the breakup of their family.     

And not to nitpick,  but again,  what is with Meri's hair in her first talking head?   It looks worse than last week with a big ole piece sticking way out to the side! 🤭 Does she know she's on national TV?   My lord,  have a little dignity and look in the mirror before going on camera.   But maybe she likes that bed head look. 🤷🏼‍♀️  Different strokes ....

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

One thing that I found interesting was when Kody was asked about the holiday gift exchange and he said he was staying out of it.

That is as close as Kody will ever get to saying that Robyn was in the wrong.

The group didn't need to do a Zoom call on a moment's notice. And it wouldn't be easy because they have jobs!

And the original kids don't care about Robyn. I get the feeling they are okay with Robyn's kids (although Brianna has been dragged by a few of the kids) but they see Robyn for what she is.

And Hunter is right. A zoom call wouldn't make a difference.

Edited by Ms.Lulu
  • Like 11
8 hours ago, 65mickey said:

And remember when Christine was getting ready to take Ysabel half way across the country for serious and painful back surgery he referred to Christine making this like a vacation. That's when I knew that he is despicable and has no conscience. 

And that was AFTER he suggested Ysabel go alone for her back surgery!! 

I could swear that Thanksgiving footage at Robyn's house was from the previous year (the one with the rice krispie turkey)

I still don't think they have filmed in the SADKRAB house. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 6

Wonder what Isabel thought of Kootie being there for Aurora, holding her hand, while her ear lobe went under the needle.  

Wonder if she compared it to her father being no where near  while her back went under the knife.  Is there NO ONE in that family of Kootie and Robyn's that thinks about how these situations are gonna land with other family members, and the t.v. audience, before airing them?  My heart hurts for Isabel.

• Like 16
  • Sad 4
  • Love 2

A couple side comments because I agree with most of your concensus points already made.

I knew when Trully was born that he was already involved with Robin but in the wedding pictures she was still a tiny newborn. Slitherin!

In the conversation with Paedon and Christine I thought he almost gave away her new relationship when he said "Now you have a wonderful new-". And she hugged him and quickly talked over what he was saying.

I also liked when she said we're having Thanksgiving with Aspyn and Mitch but we're not filming because it's his family's year but they've invited us to come. Now that's how families work.

• Like 20
2 hours ago, surfgirl said:

Do KoDouche and Sobbyn ever watch the show when it airs, do you think?

Many seasons ago, the family would watch it together the wives would live comment on social media.  That ended, and the adults pretty much abandoned commenting on social media.  So I think they know exactly how they appear… and Kody doesn’t care. To him, any publicity is good publicity. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, LilyD said:

This is similar to Robyn being oh so upset when Meri wanted to go back to school. No one can have a life outside of her orbit apparently.

• Like 13
  • Sad 3
  • Applause 1

And, of course, he has zero recollection about any of his other kids getting their ears pierced. 

To be fair, Christine couldn't remember either, except that she thought that the girls waited until they were 18 (which I guess means Truely doesn't yet have pierced ears). My own father might have remembered my first ear piercing, which was ok with him and for a special milestone. The second he probably would have remembered was "sometime in college" but I doubt he would have remembered exactly when. And he wasn't happy about that one. The rest I have to answer for when he meets me at the pearly gates...

Meri wanted to go back to school

I wasn't watching back then. What did she want to go to school for?

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Elizzikra said:

To be fair, Christine couldn't remember either, except that she thought that the girls waited until they were 18 (which I guess means Truely doesn't yet have pierced ears). My own father might have remembered my first ear piercing, which was ok with him and for a special milestone. The second he probably would have remembered was "sometime in college" but I doubt he would have remembered exactly when. And he wasn't happy about that one. The rest I have to answer for when he meets me at the pearly gates...

I wasn't watching back then. What did she want to go to school for?

Iirc she wanted to resume her studies so she could work with teens in a counseling role. She took one or two classes for a semester. During that time the catfish saga began and Meri eventually quit. But there was a scene where Robyn acted like Meri was abandoning her and - horrors! - might have a life where the family (aka Robyn) was not going to be Meri's sole focus. Then Robyn whined to Kody she couldn't possibly have another child because of the huge "workload" of her joory business, if she would no longer have Meri's full-time help.

• Like 12
2 hours ago, suev3333 said:

I couldn't get past the first 15 mins without commenting.   It's so infuriating!!   Kodass keeps on saying how it's not Robin's fault the family is broken up.   Umm No shit Sherlock!!!  It's NOT her fault...!  It's YOUR fault for spending all your time with Robin!  And living with only Robin. And only having sex with Robin!    Omg   he refuses to take one iota of responsibility for the breakup of their family.     

And not to nitpick,  but again,  what is with Meri's hair in her first talking head?   It looks worse than last week with a big ole piece sticking way out to the side! 🤭 Does she know she's on national TV?   My lord,  have a little dignity and look in the mirror before going on camera.   But maybe she likes that bed head look. 🤷🏼‍♀️  Different strokes ....

I thought she seemed drunk. Passed out, propped up for TH. She was very slurry.

2 hours ago, I8A 4RE said:

I could swear that Thanksgiving footage at Robyn's house was from the previous year (the one with the rice krispie turkey)

That was from the rice Krispy turkey Thxgiving. 

• Like 7

Robyn says, while trying her hardest to hold back the tears, that the other part of the family wants nothing to do with her kids and they are devastated.  Any mother, who really cared, would sit her kids down and explain the situation so they would 1. understand the other wives have grown children and grandchildren to spend holidays with and 2. understand that it is not anything to do with not wanting to spend time with Robyn's kids.  Instead, she lets them think that they are unloved and unwanted just to fit in with her "victim" role. SMH

• Like 21
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1
On 8/28/2023 at 5:23 AM, toomuchtv said:

kody says he doesn’t even remember when the other girls got theirs pierced.

Cut him some slack, y'all. At least Kody DOES remember there are other girls too (although I doubt he can assign them to the respective mothers).

What.a.douchebag.

10 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

Instead, she lets them think that they are unloved and unwanted just to fit in with her "victim" role.

Just like she did when she told her kids Christine and Janelle won't be here on thanksgiving. She is such a manipulating mean b..ch.

Edited by Elodia
  • Like 9
  • Applause 1
44 minutes ago, BnJJ said:

I wasn't talking about Robyn's kids.  I was talking about his adult children starting their own lives with their own partners. To expect that Janelle (and previously Christine) spend every holiday at Robyn's when their grown kids have other plans with their growing families is utterly asinine.

These changes happen in every family when kids grow up and start their own lives.

My apologies, I was aware you meant the other kids. For whatever reason, I forgot an essential bit in my post, which is basically what you wrote in reply. Guess that's what happens when replying to posts in the middle of the night (over here in Europe)

Anyway, my ideas on Robyn's family dynamics should have been followed by explaining that she likely doesn't understand how most families develop. Relationships and priorities shift and change in most families. Just as you pointed out.

• Like 6

She most likely thought to herself that she did not want her kids having something to do with their sibings. You know now that the family is broken leave it that way so she and her brood have Kody all to themselves. 

I don't think that's it. I think Robyn does want her kids to have a relationship with their siblings. But I think she is so convinced that the other kids are going to mistreat hers that she is hyper-vigilant and controlling whenever there is interaction. Her 3 oldest kids are adults, and she should have let them work it out without jumping in and trying to organize a call. It sounds like it got stupid fast. I would love to know what joke that Gwen told on the text that made it all worse. 

It sounds like Mykelti has a relationship with Robyn's kids, but she couldn't smooth things over this time. The whole situation is sad, but I don't see there being a resolution. 

• Like 6
16 hours ago, kassa said:

I definitely think the ear piercing adventure was to illustrate to the network that Kody can work with other costars, not that he was just the premise for the original other interesting women to interact. (Not that they're particularly interesting outside of their marriage situation, but we've all been following the show for years purely on wondering WTF their thought processes have been regarding him. He's been comic relief.)

Secondarily, I think it was a shot at the other kids - see what you could have if you weren't so disobedient? Not realizing this stuff is precisely why they've let him go in the first place - he's merely confirming what they already know.

I had a fairly typical middle class 60s childhood (the Dad in the original The  Wonder Years was my Dad down to a T). It was home from work, dinner with the family, read the newspaper, watch the news, family then watches tv, bed. Occasionally involved us in chores in the yard, a week's vacation a year. 

I can see a young Kody being a much more hands on father than mine ever was, playing with the kids, especially the boys, using the kids to get away from the moms, etc. My Dad didn't do that stuff (none of my friends' dads did either)... but he was THERE. As Nora Ephron pointed out, "children would rather have a mother who's miserable in the next room than one who's ecstatic in Hawaii."  Well, as soon as they moved to Vegas, Kody might as well have been in Hawaii.

I think Kody's behavior toward the kids is a direct reflection of his feelings toward each of his "wives".  He's a spiteful bastard who will make the kids pay for what he perceives their mother is doing wrong to him.  Because Robyn "obeys" him he dotes on her kids and of course they "obey" him too because he's nice to them.  But because the other wives are/were unhappy, he avoids them AND their kids and accuses their kids of being disobedient towards him.  But he's the one that started that situation.  It wasn't the mothers poisoning their kids' minds, it was his avoidance of them because of issues he had with their mothers that caused their negative reactions towards him.  It's not fair to make the kids pay for what he thinks the other wives are supposedly doing wrong to him, but he is so unwilling to see his own role in this situation that of course he's going to do that and blame the kids and their mothers for it on top of it.  The only reason he thinks Robyn is "obeying" him is because he gives her what he should have been giving the others.  He's really that into her.  But he refuses to see that it's really mostly if not ALL his fault that the other wives are not "obeying" him or whatever he thinks they should be doing.  If he were as into them as he is with Robyn they would not have become unhappy with him.  It's all one way with this bastard!  He refuses to see his own part in any of this!

And while I'm at it, he is also completely unwilling to see how he permanently alienated the other wives when he spent an inordinate amount of time and positive attention on Robyn and her kids.  HE brought on their dissatisfaction by neglecting them and treating them like second class under Robyn.  It's obvious that he was never that into Christine and Janelle and probably didn't pay enough of a certain kind of intimate attention to them before Robyn came on the scene either.  Then when she did and he was more into her than he ever was with them his avoidance of them became more extreme and obvious as he spent more and more of his time and affection on Robyn and her kids. 

I think he was really in love with Meri in the early days and theirs is probably the only relationship that unraveled for its own reasons and was basically DOA by the time Robyn came along.  But the onset of Robyn only made it crystal clear that he was never into Janelle and Christine at all, only now it showed more because he naturally didn't care how it looked anymore and did whatever pleased him by that point which meant spending most of his time and affection on Robyn and neglecting the rest.  And after all this time he STILL won't own up to it!

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, I8A 4RE said:

You said it before I did.  Did they think we wouldn't notice?  Probably.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I think he was really in love with Meri in the early days and theirs is probably the only relationship that unraveled for its own reasons and was basically DOA by the time Robyn came along.

Not according to Kody. He has said shortly after they got married he realized he was misled by Meri. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 4
  • LOL 1