Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E01: No Such Thing as a Free Lunch

• Start Topic

Christine has moved, but the fallout from her divorce remains; Janelle, Meri and Robyn struggle to plan the upcoming holidays as the family continues to be divided; things get tense when Kody and Christine sit down for the first time since she left.

Air Date: August 20, 2023

The thread will unlock after the episode has aired. 

• Like 1

Tooooo many commercials.  We saw more commercials than show. 
Robyn with her one ally, Meri….nobody trusts either one of them. And Robyn talked like Kody has no responsibility in cleaning up his anger.  Ugh!!!  What a douchecanoe. 

• Like 15
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

For Christine, it was celebrating Joseph Smith’s birthday.  The very first year after Robyn joined the family, she told Kody she wouldn’t be celebrating it and just like that it was no longer a part of their tradition. 

What was Robyn's stated objection? Even if she didn't think it was important, what was so objectionable that she couldn't go along to keep peace among her sister wives. And it's one more excuse to gather the fambly together.

Edited by Elizzikra
  • Like 17

I am in shock that the show which is already two years behind, backtracked even more! We already saw Janelle's apartment last season. Now this season, we have to watch her move in? Why?

And the staged reenactments continue to be so very bad. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't even see a reason for Christine to be in Flagstaff or on the show this episode.  Her lunch with Kody - shoulda been an email. Her "visit" with Janelle - completely TLC arranged.

Annoying.

• Like 21
6 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

Everyone here is so much better at the timeline than I am. I noticed Robyn using Leon's dead name, was this before or after Leon went public? 

They announced publicly on June 28, 2022.

6 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I noticed Robyn using Leon's dead name, was this before or after Leon went public? 

• Like 4
  • Useful 7

OK, so let me get this straight.  We haven't moved on from 2021?  We are seeing crap that's almost 2 years old the end result of which we already know?  Sobyn is sobbin' and Kootie is ranting?  That's the best they could do?

Glad I don't waste brain cells watching this claptrap.  I get all I need from the snarking.

• Like 17
17 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

You know Meri was smelling her clothes all the way home to see if she could detect if his stank transferred through the coat. 

I would bet that Kody had the jacket dry-cleaned IMMEDIATELY to remove any Meri-ness that may have lingered. 

Much agreement that all the convos were awkward and appeared to be re-enactments. 

I suggest a new title for Kody's thread, or maybe for the show itself -

Kody Brown, Full of Righteous Indignation. 

• Like 16

Janelle said in 2021 that the property had to be paid off in the spring. So I assume she meant  spring of 2022.  So what happened in the spring of 2022? Did the seller who was carrying the mortgage foreclose? Or did they pay it off?

I noticed how Meri's attitude changed from when Christine left and her talking heads that must have been filmed more recently. 

• Like 11

Both Kody and Robyn’s talking heads should just be them saying

“It’s all about me. Why won’t the rest of the family acknowledge that it’s all about me “.
They would save so much time because they would each just have to film it once and then endlessly replay it.

• Like 13
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

Could it be any more obvious that Kody and Robyn don't want the inside of their house filmed?  It's clearly cold outside, but that's where they have to have their talk?

In the fall of 2021, when this was filmed, TLC probably didn't allow/require its film crews to work in an enclosed space with unvaccinated people.  

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 13
8 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

I am in shock that the show which is already two years behind, backtracked even more! We already saw Janelle's apartment last season. Now this season, we have to watch her move in? Why?

And the staged reenactments continue to be so very bad. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't even see a reason for Christine to be in Flagstaff or on the show this episode.  Her lunch with Kody - shoulda been an email. Her "visit" with Janelle - completely TLC arranged.

Annoying.

The entire show is "arranged".

5 hours ago, Elodia said:

That convo in front of Sobyn's Mansion was SO awkward. I literally could feel how uncomfortable those two were, and I'm a few thousand miles away.

And really, Robyn didn't let Meri in her house and she didn't even bother to offer hot coffee or tea or something like that. I wonder what she would have done if Meri needed to go to the bathroom. Would she have let her in or was Meri supposed to do her "business" in the woods?

I think Robyn is very careful due to Covid and who she lets in the house. If she allowed Meri in, then the entire camera crew would have to go in, too. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
33 minutes ago, Quof said:

In the fall of 2021, when this was filmed, TLC probably didn't allow/require its film crews to work in an enclosed space with unvaccinated people.  

I hadn’t thought about that.  You are probably  correct.  I cannot remember the timeline for vaccination eligibility in fall 2021. My vaccination card is in my wallet in another room.    I do think however that at least the adults were eligible by then.  I think Janelle and those eligible in her family in Flagstaff  were vaccinated. Not sure about toaster adverse Christine and her offspring - who were mostly not in Flagstaff.   Fairly certain Kody and Robyn were not vaccinated.   

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 7
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I just rolled my eyes watcing Robyn demand an explanation about whether the Browns were all faking their happiness when she entered the family, or if she just had on blinders.

I guess the Dark Queen can't admit that when she joined the family it actually had a negative effect on things.  No, it was either a big snow job or she was just some poor babe in the woods who was too innocent to perceive the tension between the Brown adults.  She is a victim!  The security she craved has been taken away, the dreams she had are shattered - and it's all everyone else's fault. 

It's not like she joined the family and absorbed a huge amount of financial resources without contributing a thing, increasing the stress level everyone was under and the sense of inequity among the wives.  She didn't cut into the time Kody had to spend with his other wives and children and generate jealousy and resentment.  She didn't set her kids up as victims that needed protection and special treatment at the expense of Kody's other children and his relationship with them.  Nope, none of that happened.  Robyn was tricked by the Browns (just like the father of her children tricked her out of her cookie! ) It's never her fault!

Robyn wondering if she missed faked happiness? Excellent point, too ironic. Didnt Kodawg praise her emotional intelligence?  Didnt the whole family accept her as a great communicator? Holy hell.

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 12

Haven't watched yet- but have continually wondered that when Kody says to Janelle or Christine ANYTHING about keeping him from kids or poisoning kids against him why don't they say "Kody, you have a phone you call them." Why is it up to the wives to deal with holiday plans? If Kody wants to see his kids, he can call/text/email to find out their plans or make plans.

And damn- I'm in Tulsa area. If I had known about Kody being at a local wedding- I'd have had my bestie creep social media and find out when and where and stalked him.

• Like 7
  • LOL 6
2 minutes ago, BAForever said:

Haven't watched yet- but have continually wondered that when Kody says to Janelle or Christine ANYTHING about keeping him from kids or poisoning kids against him why don't they say "Kody, you have a phone you call them." Why is it up to the wives to deal with holiday plans? If Kody wants to see his kids, he can call/text/email to find out their plans or make plans.

And damn- I'm in Tulsa area. If I had known about Kody being at a local wedding- I'd have had my bestie creep social media and find out when and where and stalked him.

I'm in SW Mo. I'm going to check "sporting" shows here. Big convention centers here, and cheap as I am, I would pay the cover charge!!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
2 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

I think Robyn’s greatest source of pleasure was watching the other three grovel, beg and fight each other for a minute of Kodys attention.

Now that’s all gone and all she’s left with is an angry cry baby on the floor in the fetal position sucking his thumb.

Ah, what a sweet "pitcher."  Kootie and Ari, the "social lubricant," 🤮, in the fetal position on the floor, sucking their binkys!  

I cannot think of two humans LESS self-aware than Sobbyn and Kootie.  Nothing is EVER their fault, NEVER!  Gawd.

• Like 7
  • Applause 8
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Can't wait for the future scenes of both Meri and Janelle telling Sobbyn and Kidney they are leaving, too. 

For now, Meri is playing the game of wanting to stay and still loving Kidney even admitting she only talks to him once every two weeks. She knows how to play Sobbyn and I think it's hilarious. 

Poor Kidney used to be so carefree, optimistic and happy. Now he's miserable, never smiles, always angry and is on the verge of a breakdown. Karma, baby, Karma. It's beautiful to watch. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 7
2 hours ago, islandgal140 said:

This episode did seem like mostly rehash but there were some immensely enjoyable parts like Janelle and Christine talking shit in her apt and Christine saying if Kody can say she is responsible for tearing apart the family, then he is responsible for his shitty relationships w/his kids. 

Perhaps and unpopular opinion but they should not have discussed all that in front of Savannah in my opinion. Savannah can handle it I guess, but my mom never sh*t talked my dad when they were divorced (I already knew he was a jerk). Plus this actually proves Kody correct - and thats something we DONT want. My issue is mainly that all this is done on camera and intentional.

Edited by Tuxcat
  • Like 15
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, Shauna said:

The entire show is "arranged".

I think Robyn is very careful due to Covid and who she lets in the house. If she allowed Meri in, then the entire camera crew would have to go in, too. 

Wasn't the infamous rice krispy Thanksgiving turkey episode filmed IN THEIR HOME during COVID?  Also, Kody can come and go as he pleases (i.e. meet Christine in a restaurant), but Robyn can't leave the grounds?  They could've met at Meri's Flagstaff place, or a restaurant.  Whatever.  Maybe Meri thought she could get a glimpse of the ramenhead and Robyn wasn't having it. 

Edited by suzeecat
  • Like 5
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 3
12 hours ago, Art Of Noiz said:

Meri visits Robyn. Robyn loans Meri one of Kody's coats. She deadnames Leon.

Meri talks about turkeys, rice Krispy treats and giggles at her risqué innuendo. 

I don't think it counts as deadnaming. Leon wasn't out publicly then, and I don't even know if they were privately out. The episode is set in advance of Christmas 2021.

Meri talking turkey was hilarious.

8 hours ago, Elodia said:

That convo in front of Sobyn's Mansion was SO awkward. I literally could feel how uncomfortable those two were, and I'm a few thousand miles away.

And really, Robyn didn't let Meri in her house and she didn't even bother to offer hot coffee or tea or something like that. I wonder what she would have done if Meri needed to go to the bathroom. Would she have let her in or was Meri supposed to do her "business" in the woods?

3 hours ago, Quof said:

I think this is it, and if/that TLC enforced it, it is because the big entertainment-related unions (SAG-AFTRA, IATSE, etc.) demanded it, to protect their membership.

The entertainment industry responded better to Covid than pretty much any other business sector in the US. They were responsible, had science-based protocols (as opposed to protoculls) , they were agile enough to shut down production at the first sign of on-set positives, then open back up safely, and they had strict testing, vaccination, and masking requirements. Of course, a lot of money was at stake, so they were motivated.

I don't like Robyn either, but I don't think she's this terrible hoarder who won't let people in the house, because of her hoarding. I think the boxes people spot in the house are probably a lot of Kody's crap. He's a packrat and a clothes horse, and doesn't have three other wives to store his stuff now. I also think some of it could be the guns and associated wares that he peddles.

And since the kids are home, and Aurora hasn't (at this point) had Covid, I can seen Kody and Robyn not wanting a film crew in their house. Also, the older kids are at an age where they might just be opposed to filming. It's not like they get paid. Why not take it outdoors?

Edited by General Days
typo
  • Like 9
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
6 minutes ago, suzeecat said:

Wasn't the infamous rice krispy Thanksgiving turkey episode filmed IN THEIR HOME during COVID

Weren't they still self-taping? 

5 minutes ago, islandgal140 said:

I really wished Christine had ordered the large nachos with extra cheese and quac at her dinner with Kody

Steak and kidney pie

• Useful 1
  • LOL 13
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I LMAO at Meri talking about various types of turkey tastes!  Lol 

So, how long were Janelle and Kody not intimate?  Were they actually having sex at all since they moved to AZ?  

Last time was when Savannah was conceived. IMO

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1

Did anyone else notice Kodork's voice had changed? On his TH, his voice sounds like it dropped one octave. Could it be because of testosterone.? I always thought he was on steroids the last few seasons which could explain his temper and rages. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 5
1 minute ago, Elodia said:

Did anyone else notice Kodork's voice had changed? On his TH, his voice sounds like it dropped one octave. Could it be because of testosterone.? I always thought he was on steroids the last few seasons which could explain his temper and rages. 

I noticed this too.  It was noticeably lower 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
1 minute ago, Elodia said:

We know he fancies himself quite the gym rat so it wouldn't surprise me.  But I think when he's doing his TH's solo, he gets to come across as this insane devil-man or whatever he's trying to do.  He probably doesn't get to cosplay as a maniac quite so much when he's with his wimminz....although he certainly came close at the lunch with Christine when she dared to laugh at his miserable slog through what appeared to be a pretty mild case of Covid.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Also, Meri, it's a bit much to be bleating on about how you made a commitment, when you'd have left Kody and the family in two fucking seconds if Sam Cooper had been an actual man.

Why do they all continue to forget that? Especially Robyn. Are they not allowed to talk about that anymore? Kody never forgave her for that and I don't blame him. He's been done with her ever since that catfishing mess. That is the only defense I will ever have of Kody. 

• Like 11
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

Perhaps and unpopular opinion but they should not have discussed all that in front of Savannah in my opinion. Savannah can handle it I guess, but my mom never sh*t talked my dad when they were divorced (I already knew he was a jerk). Plus this actually proves Kody correct - and thats something we DONT want. My issue is mainly that all this is done on camera and intentional.

I thought Savannah looked uncomfortable when they were talking about her dad. She still loves her dad and shouldn’t have to hear negative things about him from her mom and Christine. My parents divorced when I was a teenager and I always felt confused hearing how my dad was a bad person because I loved him and didn’t want to take sides.

• Like 9
  • Hugs 4
  • Sad 1