Type keyword(s) to search

S20. E06: Like Totally ‘90s

• Start Topic

The designers must create chic and cohesive mini-collections inspired by the '90s; designers take to the halls of a New York City high school to showcase their styles, all while trying to impress guest judge Jennie Garth.

While I’m sure Jennie Garth is a very nice person and relevant to the ‘90s, having a designer is much more constructive for the runway show. There’s no “I would wear that”. Whether or not the judge would wear that is not the point! And while I’m glad Hester is gone, I would be very curious of the design made for this challenge!

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
(edited)

Did the producers script that apology to Anna from Korto? I’m still not rooting for anyone who bashed Anna last week.

All I remember about the 90’s was plaid everything. 

Edited by Straycat80
  • Like 10
  • Applause 3

Just saw that little picture of Rami from the 90s. Ha ha, what a cutie!

The 90s were probably my worst decade. There was some good stuff, especially my part time job, but I felt huge failure. But I worked hard and changed things around.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 8
  • Applause 1

The collections are pretty good!

I noticed the fabric Korto used for her cape had a print similar to the fabric she used in the robe for the coronation challenge.

Rami's white cargo pants with all the straps reminded me of that designer called Matt who used a lot of fabric straps in his designs. I think he won his season.

I think I liked the Red team a littke better although I think the Blue's team was better made.

I thought the Blue team would win.

Oh oh Brittany.

• Like 6

I had small children during the ‘90’s, so I don’t remember much of the fashion — especially high school fashion.   I do remember Madonna’s cone bra.  lol

• Like 8

When I think of the concept “TLC meets MC Hammer,” I imagine a narrative involving someone festooned with wrapped condoms walking down a crowded street, eliciting reactions such as “can’t touch that” and “you’ve got to pray just to make it today.”

It’s unfortunate Hester was eliminated last week, as undoubtedly she would have used this challenge to create Hypercolor bike shorts, a “flannel” shirt created by weaving Zubaz fabric with slap bracelets, Doc Martens made from interior pieces of an Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer, and a tribrid fanny pack/chain wallet/single earring made from Girbaud crotch labels.

Brittany is only capable of speaking in cliches, but I would appreciate it if she used ‘90s cliches for this particular episode. For instance, instead of “teamwork makes the dream work,” she could adapt it to, “This is an AB conversation so C your way out. NOT!”

Christian got the memo, at least. His red jacket has pockets custom designed to carry a Discman, a first generation Blackberry, a pager, a Jerry Springer: Too Hot for TV VHS tape, and a bottle of Debbie Gibson’s Electric Youth perfume.

The red team’s collection is like an Uzbek dictator saw one Spice Girls video in 1997 and decided to create a reality show called Idol of Tashkent Area and Exurbs to form a girl group to record a hi-energy song about his horse to play during propaganda videos. This is what they’d wear when performing live at Islam Abduganiyevich Karimov’s palace.

“Does that top work?” is yet another eminently useable title for memoirs by past, present, and future contestants from this program.

The blue team’s final collection is very Snap!, as in “The Power” and also “Oh snap! This is so ‘90s it’s making Linda Richman verklempt.” (Korto’s look was a bit don’t go there to me, but I won’t nitpick as that would be way harsh, Tai.)

I’m hoping this show inspires a line of garments with Dawson’s Creek Trapper Keepers attached to them. I’ll take one in every color.

“Distracting space buns” was basically my fashion and life concept for the ‘90s. And anyone who disagrees can talk to the hand. Psych!

I was ready to admit that the judging made sense to me—mostly because I’ve been slamming Zima for the last five hours—but then they announced the winner.

• Like 9
  • LOL 14

I just remember buying a whole lot from TJMaxx in the 90's and wearing a pair of Doc Martens from the store on Chicago's north side.

This was a fun challenge, and Kayne definitely should have gone home.

• Like 10

Shoulder sleeves over a bra. Underboob. Lots of open backs. Only models can wear this stuff.  Only thing I liked was the leather jacket and all those great boots.

• Like 7
(edited)

I agree with the win Laurence had.  It was a fully conceived outfit that would fit in with the 90's and today.  However...

I really hated the orange.  That was power pop 80's look, not 90's.  And I normally like orange, have t-shirts in orange.  Maybe it was just the dress that Bishme made,  was not a fan of that look and material.  He had a luscious full figure gorgeous model, and I didn't think it did anything for her.  Could be just me though.  

Other team...so many other ways to use the plaid.  If they were going to try and get into some nod to Black Hole Sun they should have fully gone there and done that full throttle, mixed in some jersey and gone dark, mixed some denim in there.  They could have used some dark washed out blues with grays and even olive tones, didn't have to have black.  Kinda saw Kayne leaving a mile off, a good corset with a cape?  Remember what Edna E Mode thought of capes?  She was right...never a good look.

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Like 7

Has anyone noticed that model Mimi has won two weeks in a row?  She is awesome.  So gorgeous, so banging on the runway.

I knew Kayne's look would lose because he had the heaviest model.  Sorry, but that's just the way it is in fashion. That dress was sad and she did not look good in it.

• Like 13
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Hester, Kayne, I'm on a roll.

Lace train was a hot mess, I don't think Mimi could have pulled that thing off.

Brittany, Brittany's model and Elaine--the hair looked bad on all of you.

I was old enough in the 90s to be wearing Walter Steiger heels and nothing that looked anything like any of this. Never watched Jenny Garth in anything, either.

Edited by buttersister
Not a cape, a train. Trainwreck.
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Well that was unexpected. I'm not seeing what the judges are seeing.

Loved Brittany's look, if not the construction and Fabio's too. He created a totally new garment... which I rather thought was the point. Kara Saun's puffer vest was sharp as well. Having said that, I've now seen enough oversized puffer coats and vests on this show to last a lifetime. That is quite the opposite of creating a new garment or look.

It sure seemed like Nina smiled and nodded signifying her approval when Brittany's look was shown.

I've long suspected those other two change with the way the wind blows and last week I knew for sure it wasn't just my imagination because after the runway they kept repeating uh-oh Nina's alarmed and it was clear as day they didn't know if she was mad disappointed or delighted, and were just waiting to jump on her...    a'hem coattails.

I loved Rami's cargo pant and Prajje's leather jacket minus the floral fabric. I  didn't get the inclusion of that quilted floral fabric by the winning team or the inclusion of the black lace by the losing team.

Those safe looks were not very  good  at all IMHO save for Rami's pant and Kara Saun's puffer vest. How many times is Bishme going to do that  very similar silhouette?  I love a little flippy drop waist skirt, but c'mon Bishme! It's time to reach down and come up with  new ideas.

...and the judges didn't question Rami's use of that clear orange material that looked like plastic? I wondered how he could've made such an ugly top after the one he pointed out in the photo shown early in the episode that he said he made for Aaliyah. Seemed like two different designers' work.

🤔

• Like 4
2 hours ago, CherryMalotte said:

Other team...so many other ways to use the plaid.  If they were going to try and get into some nod to Black Hole Sun they should have fully gone there and done that full throttle, mixed in some jersey and gone dark, mixed some denim in there.  They could have used some dark washed out blues with grays and even olive tones, didn't have to have black.  Kinda saw Kayne leaving a mile off, a good corset with a cape?  Remember what Edna E Mode thought of capes?  She was right...never a good look.

You have some good ideas here.  I think they were told not to use denim, though.   I was excited for the homage to grunge and the plaid looks, but when they came down the runway, I thought the other team had executed their vision better.

I love Prajjé's jacket and entire look.  I also liked Rami's pants.  I didn't care for Kayne's cape, nor Korto's giant puffer look.

• Like 9

Kayne's look was totally 90s - if you were designing for the stroll circa 90s Hunt's Point, the Bronx. I'm sorry but that was just not a look. The right one went home tonight. I do like him though and will miss him.

Brittany really lucked out because if it weren't for Kayne she would have been outta there, and rightfully so.

Korto can miss me with her nonapology apology. She is so full of herself it's hard to listen to her talk at all.

• Like 13
  • Applause 3

I think the right team won. But I really wanted the judges to tell Korto, "you need to thank your team members because the strength of their looks saved you." Her look did not fit in with the collection at all. 

Kanye sure made the judges job easy. His was by far the worst look there. 

As celebrity judges go, I did not mind Jennie Garth. She had some very valid comments about the designs. 

• Like 16

THE most boring episode EVER! For me (for you) [tm Randy, AI]. 

Like, gag me with a spoon, but srsly?? 

There's less plaid in Scotland! 

And do they all, judges included, think 90s fashion trends were, like, totally influenced by Urban Hip-Hop (I know SYTYCD does, but still....)? 

"Is that a Walkman?! Squeee!"  🤮

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 8

I thought Bishmee's little dress was really cute.  I think it was the best outfit for a plus-size model in some time.  Almost any woman could wear that.

I did like Laurance's overalls. The cone bra...meh

on the losing team, my favorite was actually Anna's pants.  The plaid worked well there and I loved the flare

• Like 10
(edited)
12 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Did the producers script that apology to Anna from Korto? I’m still not rooting for anyone who bashed Anna last week.

All I remember about the 90’s was plaid everything. 

yeah, did not strike me as sincere, more of a face-saving gesture

and i thought her (Korto) look was one of the very worst

Edited by cinsays
  • Like 17
11 hours ago, rhofmovalley said:

"Rad" and "like totally" was the 80s, not the 90s. Trust me, I was a teen in the 80s and it was painful.

I'm a teen of the 70s and thought "Boomboxes, 90s?? I don't think so. My impression was that they appeared in my teenage years." I googled and found:

The name of the portable, battery operated radio/cassette player was partly due to its heavy, box like aesthetic, and its bass enhancing power speakers (boom). Initially introduced to the American market during the mid-1970s, the boombox's popularity surged in the 80s, becoming almost a status symbol.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
On 7/12/2023 at 3:17 PM, chitowngirl said:

While I’m sure Jennie Garth is a very nice person and relevant to the ‘90s, having a designer is much more constructive for the runway show.

Quoting myself because I am so glad to be wrong about Jennie Garth! She gave constructive ideas and not an “I would wear that” to be found!

12 hours ago, VanillaBear85 said:

I adored the backpack vest and don't think he should have been in the bottom 3.

With 5 designers on each team, 3 were going to be on the bottom. He was the best of the bottom. If his team would have been on top, he might have been the bottom of the best.

5 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Is that a Walkman?! Squeee!

Yes, the Walkman was ‘80s, but this looked like a portable CD player, which was 90s

• Like 13

I thought the looks were great individually, but not cohesive as collections.  Was it last season, with a similar challenge, where one team decided that all their people were attending the same funeral and it just unleashed the creativity?  They needed something like that here.

I don't follow Kara Saun's career that closely, but one big job she's had is costumes for an acapella singing contest with Ben Folds as the lead judge.  The acapella groups come in all sizes, shapes, and numbers, and the costumes are color coordinated, but not matched identically.  She always always featured plaids!  Maybe she's in a rut.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
17 minutes ago, Pj3422 said:

When Christian asked Bishme the significance of “42,” was anybody hoping — even a little bit— that he would reply, “the meaning of life, the universe, and everything”? 

I also didn’t care for Christian’s cheerful response. 

• Like 11
Just now, DEL901 said:

I also didn’t care for Christian’s cheerful response

oh yeah, that was bad. Didn't he say something like "I love that"? Seriously, you love that he has lost a sibling at a young age so that he can incorporate it into his design? I felt like he was only half paying attention. He would have had the same response if Bishme had said "It's the number of my sister's favorite soccer player."

• Like 5
13 hours ago, Fukui San said:

I've decided that Brittany reminds me of Faith Ford's perky newscaster character on Murphy Brown, Corky Sherwood.

OMG.  You totally nailed it!  I've been trying to puzzle this out for weeks, and *BOOM* there it is!

• Like 13

I’m not even an Anna hater, but that black lace cropped poncho thing was hideous. Paired with low rise plaid bell bottoms, it was even worse. I’m shocked that the judges loved it. 

• Like 9
  • LOL 1

It always bothers me a bit when any show references a specific decade/era and then doesn't research the era; rather they just 'think' of what they know about it.  I guess I am grumpy about this episode as not only were they promoting the 90s with non-90s phrases and objects, they also sent mixed messages regarding the challenge itself.  Was it focused on high schoolers of the 90s, or on adults of the 90s (which would include high schoolers when not in school).  Most of the looks were not high school appropriate (especially during the 90s).  Yet, there was a huge emphasis on high school.  Oh well.

Outside of my nitpiks, I liked Fabio and Kara's the most.  Cone bra was a costume when Madonna wore it and it was a costume here as well IMO, but not a word about it being costumey.  I did think that Kayne's was the worst, so agree with the person they sent home. 

• Like 14
38 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

It always bothers me a bit when any show references a specific decade/era and then doesn't research the era;

Seriously! How hard is it to do 3 minutes of googling to find out whether boomboxes were representative of the 90s. I also had a question about those polaroid instant cameras; I DEFINITELY remember my parents having one of those in my teen years in the 70s, but perhaps they were a "retro" thing in the 90s and reappeared. I wouldn't know; I had two little babies then so it's a black hole in my memory. It really felt like they were channeling the 80s rather than the 90s with the props; I'll agree that the grunge/plaid was a thing in the 90s. Eighties fashion was leg-warmers and long sweaters worn over leggings as I recall.

• Like 7

None of the outfits appealed to me, but I couldn’t really focus on the designers' clothes because I was too stunned by Elaine and Nina.

What was that? Nina's boob falling out of her jacket and Elaine’s hair antennae sticking up while her jacket slid around over what looked like a strap bra… and they’re criticizing styling on the runway? What is with their clothes and style this season?

• Like 10
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 2
12 hours ago, meep.meep said:

costumes for an acapella singing contest with Ben Folds as the lead judge.

The Sing- Off!  I loved that show.
It just dwindled and disappeared. I had no idea that Kara Saun did the costumes.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, LeesburgLee said:

What was that? Nina's boob falling out of her jacket and Elaine’s hair antennae sticking up while her jacket slid around over what looked like a strap bra…

Exactly the right description! I spent far too much of the episode trying to figure out why she decided that was a "style" that worked for her.

• Like 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, dleighg said:

I also had a question about those polaroid instant cameras; I DEFINITELY remember my parents having one of those in my teen years in the 70s, but perhaps they were a "retro" thing in the 90s and reappeared.

I remember the ads for The Polaroid I Zone in the 90s. You could print it out and stick it to stuff. Here is a commercial featuring a young Aaron Paul.

The models should have had a beeper and Tamagotchi.

Prajje and Laurence really nailed this. And how cool was Laurence this entire episode? Especially, when she was sitting with her hoodie up and sunglasses on at the table.

I don't think they should have bothered with a bottom three. They should have just said, "Kayne. We all know what's happening here, right?  Your time with us is up."  I'm no John Drops, but I feel fairly confident that I go into any closet and put on a bunch of fabrics and approximate Kayne's look.

Edited by 7-Zark-7
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

Kayne’s exit was one of the most gracious I’ve ever seen.

I’m glad that Korto and Anna talked. The collegial PR vibe is back, and I’m glad.

14 hours ago, LeesburgLee said:

None of the outfits appealed to me, but I couldn’t really focus on the designers' clothes because I was too stunned by Elaine and Nina.

What was that? Nina's boob falling out of her jacket and Elaine’s hair antennae sticking up while her jacket slid around over what looked like a strap bra… and they’re criticizing styling on the runway? What is with their clothes and style this season?

I was looking at Elaine’s Keds, or whatever they were. Trying for a ‘90s look, and failing. The judges often make me laugh. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, LeesburgLee said:

What is with their clothes and style this season?

Maybe they're dressing themselves. Like toddlers.

The runway was fun. Fun for the models and designers, fun for the viewers. They were all relaxed and happy.

I liked Anna's, Fabio's, and others', but Kayne's was dreadful.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 4
On 7/14/2023 at 7:50 AM, cinsays said:

Did the producers script that apology to Anna from Korto?

I noticed it was oddly edited after Anna let her into the room.  I'm guessing Korto did a lot of back pedalling or passively aggressive tried to make it Anna's fault.  Either way, totally lacking in sincerity. I do believe Anna is forgiving but I highly doubt Korto actually apologized in a meaningful way, more like 'let's just put this behind us'.  

• Like 15

Why did they have to spend so much money on that blinged out lace??? That was part of what went wrong for me with Team Red. That was not 90s. At. All. In the 80s, white lace was everywhere, but I really don't remember any lace in the 90s. Especially with all the sequins.

HATED the underboob on Fabio's look, but he shouldn't have been on the bottom. And Kayne's look was so underthought, underdesigned, and overly cluttered. 

Mimi was having so much fun this episode! I loved seeing her clowning around and smiling so broadly. It put a smile on my face.

• Like 10