Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

But that the LEGO movie did not win ruins everything...no, not really but whaaaaaat? Do you know anyone who did not think that movie was the best?

The Hollywood Foreign Press. Edited by GaryE
  • Love 4

So happy for Boyhood - I just hope that it garners Oscar noms come this Thursday.  

And I'm kind of excited that the Best Actor race may be an actual race between Michael Keaton and Eddie Redmayne.

Yes, and I'm going to throw Ralph Fiennes into that ring as well - I hope anyway.

Yeah, kind of the usual show, shockingly bad dresses versus the classy ones, and that applies to the speeches as well.  I loved what Kevin Spacey had to say, and I so appreciate still Billy Bob's short but sweet thank you.      

Edited by CherryMalotte

Looking at the winner's list again, and it's interesting that The Imitation Game got shut-out, despite being one of the films with more buzz.  I wonder if that will happen at the Oscars too, or if maybe there are a few smaller rewards it could pick up.

George Clooney really is the perfect looking guy. Whether he's casual or in a tux he looks amazing. He seems so likable & well liked. His wife is pretty & he seems happy. Of course, what so I (we) know?! I just heard the Bachelorette & her fiancé broke and they were just out the night before happy as clams. LOL!!

• Love 1

I heard Billy too!

My superficial observations: it looked like Ellar Coltrane was straight up bombed by the end of the show, and it sounded like Michael Keaton wasn't too far from it. George Clooney can give a speech with the best of them, but I sorely missed The Facts of Life and Golden Girls in his highlight reel. Frances McDormand and her face and her clapping (because you can tell that she means it) GIVES ME AWARDS SHOW LIFE.

Oh, and Tina Fey should wear that tux always and forever.

I've been over George Clooney ever since he made that horribly self-aggrandizing Oscar acceptance speech about how proud he was to be "out of touch." Definitely could have gone without seeing His Royal Smugness win a lifetime achievement award. 

• Love 5

Jane Fonda looks good! I'm not wild about the dress but she's certainly making a statement about what a woman can look like in her seventies.

Jane Fonda looked amazing!  I even like the dramatic dress color.  Watching on the West Coast now!  Thanks to all here for the alerts on what to watch and where to tune out...

• Love 1

We definitely are in the "hurry up" phase, when Robert Downey Jr. merely presents the award, and doesn't do any kind of riffing.  It almost feels unnatural.

Maybe he finally ran out of, "It's all about me, I have such a big ego...wait, I'm just kidding, sort of, wink wink," jokes. 

I've been over George Clooney ever since he made that horribly self-aggrandizing Oscar acceptance speech about how proud he was to be "out of touch." Definitely could have gone without seeing His Royal Smugness win a lifetime achievement award. 

I don't hate George Clooney, but I also don't really care, and I'm confused as to when he essentially became anointed to godlike status and when we were supposed to care about his dream marriage to a woman who looks like she can't wait to get away from the camera whenever I see them together.

• Love 4

when we were supposed to care about his dream marriage to a woman who looks like she can't wait to get away from the camera whenever I see them together.

Probably she looks that way because she can't wait to get away from the camera.  

• Love 6

So happy for Gina, Froggett and Keaton and Amy A. Can't believe that angsty, tedious Affair won anything --everyone is a caricature. Also glad to see Normal Heart get some recognition and now have to watch Transparent.

Good lines Tina and Amy, puts Oscar patter to shame.

• Love 2

I had to leave right around Jack Black’s bit, so I’m catching up now as I read the thread.

The announcer said Melissa McCartney rather than Melissa Mccarthy
I took an instance dislike to the How to Train Your Dragon guy for completely failing to notice his co-winner until he was shooing her off the stage.
Remember when Beckinsale and Brody were up-and-comers? And are now down-and-wents.
Frances McDormand really does look annoyed at life.
If the announcer hadn’t identified her, I wouldn’t have known that was Catherine Zeta Jones.
I really appreciated how many of the nominees did not clap for themselves. It drives me nuts when people clap for themselves, Jessica Lange, Michael Keaton, Bill Murray.

Jared Leto's suit + Matthew McConawhatever's accent = Col. Sanders

Edited by ABay

...and now have to watch Transparent.

Please do! It's superb; outstanding acting from all. Jeffrey Tambor is wonderful (as usual) in it, and I was very happy to see him win. It's amazing that this is his first win of a major award.

• Love 1
I feel like Jen Aniston is a bitch in real life.

She looked miserable, which is pretty much how she looks all the time.  And what was up her butt with the way she treated Benedict Cumberbatch on stage?  Jeesus,   she was so pissed that he was goofing around. It's the fucking Golden Globes, have a drink and try to act like you're enjoying yourself.  Remember acting? That thing you get paid millions of dollars to do? 

• Love 3

Since there isn't much chance of Cosby ever going to jail, I'm satisfied with the destruction of his reputation and him becoming a public punchline. I wish that kind of thing happened more often.  Go Tina & Amy! They sure looked like they were having some fun with that bit.

Overall, the awards were spread around quite equitably. That makes for a nice evening, I think.

I don't endorse the joke Renner told about J-Lo's globes (he seemed already slightly hammered, no?), but on the other hand, the globes were the entire point of J-Lo's wearing that dress, so: fairly played, I guess.

Was there no one backstage with sweat absorbent cloths? So so many of the presenters looked like they just got out of the shower! (Clive Owen, I'm looking at you most, but you had company!)

• Love 1
I would like more Tina and Amy please.

THANK YOU!!!  Last year and the one before they did a lot of stuff with the audience during the show.  They were barely on this year, except for the opening and the bit with Margaret Cho. 

They're the only reason I watched.  

Was Amal Clooney really that intimidated by a bunch of actors?   She didn't look like she was having any fun.   Maybe she was realizing the gloves were the accessory she should have removed before they left. Instead of the gloves, George should have bought her some type of big diamond brooch for the shoulder of her dress, and the dress itself was a little too long. 

If anything I use the golden globes to bulk up my Netflix Queue.

Ha, me too.  Also I'm happy whenever a non-broadcast-TV show wins anything - I like seeing them be rewarded for taking chances, I figure it means more great new shows for me. 

Can I just say I loved how genuinely happy Kerry Washington was for Gina's win? She's the quiet champion for minority women in the industry.

I have a question for the awards experts here - so Clooney wins this GG lifetime achievement award. Is this something an artist has to apply for to win? I know that sounds stupid, but it came to my mind because here is Clooney winning the award, yet Meryl Streep, who I think has had a more significant career that has spanned for a much longer time, hasn't even won the award yet. That is kinda weird to me that Clooney would get a lifetime achievement award before Streep.

• Love 1
yet Meryl Streep, who I think has had a more significant career that has spanned for a much longer time, hasn't even won the award yet. That is kinda weird to me that Clooney would get a lifetime achievement award before Streep.

The award seems to go to someone who isn't nominated that year. So, as soon at Streep stops making amazing movies for a year, they will give her a reason to come to the Globes. 

• Love 2

I don't endorse the joke Renner told about J-Lo's globes (he seemed already slightly hammered, no?), but on the other hand, the globes were the entire point of J-Lo's wearing that dress, so: fairly played, I guess.

As a woman who is proud of her "globes" and prone to wearing v-neck shirts (although not as deeply as some of those dresses last night), I nearly fell off the sofa laughing at Renner's comment. I'm not going to knock him for saying what a lot of viewers were thinking.

• Love 9
I don't endorse the joke Renner told about J-Lo's globes (he seemed already slightly hammered, no?)...

I wondered how much of his, ahhh, condition & humor had to do with his wife filing for divorce and accusing him of fraud in their marriage.

Also--do the Globes always skip an In Memoriam segment? I've watched the damn thing every year for the last ten straight and can't even remember--but at some point last night I realized it hadn't happened and couldn't remember if that was the norm or not.

Also--do the Globes always skip an In Memoriam segment? I've watched the damn thing every year for the last ten straight and can't even remember--but at some point last night I realized it hadn't happened and couldn't remember if that was the norm or not.

I thought they'd had such a segment in the past, and at one point I wondered if a particular set of presenters might be introducing this year's.  But it never showed up, right?

But it never showed up, right?

I'm 99.9% sure it didn't. If it did, I'm officially concerned about my sanity!

As they were making comments at the end about going long (and obviously cutting any extraneous remarks by McConaughey, Downey, The Gwyneth, and co.) I started to wonder if maybe it been cut for time.

• Love 1
As a woman who is proud of her "globes" and prone to wearing v-neck shirts (although not as deeply as some of those dresses last night), I nearly fell off the sofa laughing at Renner's comment. I'm not going to knock him for saying what a lot of viewers were thinking

.When JLo showed up on the red carpet, I was all  "WTF they are going to fall out of that dress before the evening is over".  And ITA Renner was probably a little (or a lot) drunk, and seeing as how Tina and Amy started the night off listing the guys they would bang, it's kind of like a big party and people are going to say crazy shit. 

Remember when Beckinsale and Brody were up-and-comers? And are now down-and-wents.

From what I read, Brody is a pain in the ass to work with. With Kate, what I remember was she was dissed by Michael Bay, of all people, for Pearl Harbor. She did have a mildly successful franchise in Underworld, but I wonder if having a director for a husband has limited the work she can pursue.

She looked miserable, which is pretty much how she looks all the time.  And what was up her butt with the way she treated Benedict Cumberbatch on stage?  Jeesus,   she was so pissed that he was goofing around. It's the fucking Golden Globes, have a drink and try to act like you're enjoying yourself.  Remember acting? That thing you get paid millions of dollars to do?

I think it's part of the act. Obviously the whole thing is scripted even though Cumberbatch is trying hard to sell that he really was just chosen on the spot. Reminds me of that Friends bit she did on Kimmel where she acted the same way. 

I like Jen Aniston, and I'm happy she's finally getting that movie breakthrough she's chased for a long time, so I may be biased, but I kinda sense a tinge of anxiety in there as well. She's been off the radar for awards show ever since Friends ended, so this may feel like a new terrain for her, again.

• Love 4

And what was up her butt with the way she treated Benedict Cumberbatch on stage? 

I really, really couldn't decide if that was part of the "bit" and her acting of the bit was so good that she was utterly convincing in the role of the pissed-off diva, or if she was pissed off. My gut feeling was that it was genuine. And if you made me bet the farm on one choice or the other, I'd bet it on that. But I wouldn't want to have to.

• Love 3

I would bet my life that the Aniston/Cumberbatch thing was a bit. From everything I've read/seen about Jennifer, she is really down to earth and sweet and is great about making fun of herself.  I've seen other clips where she pranks people by pretending to be really pissed off at them for an innocent remark, and they always end with her laughing and apologizing. So I think it was supposed to be funny to have her play a bitchy diva who was annoyed that "some guy" used up some of her air time.

• Love 14

I tend to agree that surely there are better people than George Clooney who deserve a Lifetime Achievement Award.  He's only 53.  He still has lots left in him.  Lifetime Achievement Awards are for those icons whose career spans more than two or three decades.  And I agree with everyone that I'm sick of hearing about his marriage and his wife.  I'm more than annoyed that Barbara Walters called her the "Most Fascinating Person of the Year".  Yes, she might be a notable civil rights lawyer in her own right, but until she married Clooney, 99.5% of the world had no idea who she was.  Now she's an A list celebrity because of who her husband is?  Pffftttt.

I thought Renner's joke about Lopez's globes was hilarious, and I personally don't see how it could be considered offencive.  She wore that dress for the very purpose of calling attention to her spectacular globes.  It''s fairly reminiscent of the infamous green crotch dress and the see through braless grey gauze dress.  I actually thought she looked like she was wearing a Sexy Snuggie.  

• Love 6

.When JLo showed up on the red carpet, I was all  "WTF they are going to fall out of that dress before the evening is over".  And ITA Renner was probably a little (or a lot) drunk, and seeing as how Tina and Amy started the night off listing the guys they would bang, it's kind of like a big party and people are going to say crazy shit. 

Double-sided tape. Seriously. That's reportedly how she stayed in that green thing from years back. I'm going to miss Tina and Amy next year if they really aren't coming back.

*snip*

I thought Renner's joke about Lopez's globes was hilarious, and I personally don't see how it could be considered offencive.  She wore that dress for the very purpose of calling attention to her spectacular globes.  It''s fairly reminiscent of the infamous green crotch dress and the see through braless grey gauze dress.  I actually thought she looked like she was wearing a Sexy Snuggie.  

No, I totally get how his comment could be offensive. It's a very fine line. While I respect the opinions of those who were offended, I was not.

• Love 1
OK, I'm going with "bit." (And it makes me glad, since I've always basically liked her.)

I've seen other stuff today since I posted that, so I amend my comments as I now know that she was selling the bit and not being mean.  But I do think she looked kind of nervous at times.   

• Love 1

Yes, she might be a notable civil rights lawyer in her own right, but until she married Clooney, 99.5% of the world had no idea who she was.  Now she's an A list celebrity because of who her husband is?  Pffftttt.

Well, I'd like to think that the .99.5% of the world cares about stuff other than Hollywood, so I'd venture to guess more than .5% of the world already know her even before Clooney came into the picture. Otherwise, then it's just a sad, sad world we live in. Especially after Tina mentioned a few of her accomplishments and how ridiculous it is that it's her husband that's getting honored because he's an actor. But it's sweet how George honors her, knowing what he's done isn't even close to being worthy of what she's done, and is still doing. 

Speaking of Clooney, did anyone catch Tina's "How stupid..." as the audience were laughing after their zinger? I think Tina respects George and what he's done, but she doesn't hide the fact that she thinks it's all silly he's getting an achievement award for basically starring in so many movies.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 1

Emma Stone's brother: Isn't it bad enough to go out in public in general looking like that, but to an award show?!! A shower, haircut, or maybe just a shampoo and a comb, and a suit that didn't look like it was pulled from a dumpster might have been in order. He also looked/acted stoned and what's with all these open-mouthed, gum chompers?!! If she didn't want to bring a date, why not ask a girlfriend? At least she may have put some effort in.

No Jackie Bisset moments. I'm still shaking my head over The Affair. Loved Clooney's speech. Most of those women are so scary skinny. What do they eat in a day? Two stalks of celery? Tina and Amy rocked. Otherwise, kinda boring.  

Well, I'd like to think that the .99.5% of the world cares about stuff other than Hollywood, so I'd venture to guess more than .5% of the world already know her even before Clooney came into the picture. Otherwise, then it's just a sad, sad world we live in.

I thought Blackwing was being pretty generous with the notion that 35 million people had heard of her for non-George Clooney reasons. It is a sad, sad world we live in. As usual, we can blame the media: People do care about stuff other than Hollywood but the personal lives of actors are apparently more newsworthy than whatever the UN is up to.

I read on Twitter that the AC was wonky in the auditorium and that is why everyone looked so shiny and sweaty. That would explain why I thought Amy Adams and that lady who won for "The Affair" had such lifeless, stringy hair. When I saw a pic today of Amy on the red carpet her hair looked shiny and smooth.

• Love 2

Sorry I'm late to the party...

to confirm, that y'all aren't crazy...they didn't do a In Memorium...

And can someone confirm that I'm not going crazy, but they didn't announce if this was JK Simmons's first Globe, how many he was nominated, etc, did they? It was just clapping and him going to the stage, right? Or did I blank that out? I'm pretty sure I didn't.  I've loved him ever since his Law & Order Days--BEFORE he became a recurring character of Dr. Skoda; he had played like a computer/tech expert in the first five seasons, I think. And I loved him as Jameson in the Maguire Spiderman movies.

And I've learned that I, who normally have a great sense of humor, have NONE when it comes to MY Daniel Day-Lewis. None. Can't stand it when he's made a butt of jokes. I know, I know, I'm a sick, twisted, obsessed fan person. So me no likey that story that Seth and Katherine said about him. Well, it wasn't too bad; I didn't yell at my teevee or throw anything at it. just didn't laugh or smile.

Sue me.

Was there a "Miss Golden Globes" this year?  I dvr'd and fast forwarded through chunks but I don't recall seeing a "moment with" introduction.

Yes. Miss Golden Globes was Greer Grammer (daughter of Kelsey Grammer). She was introduced by Salma Hayek and Kevin Hart before HTYD2's award.

Edited by Chrissytd
  • Love 1